Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Grimm is my favorite show and I want Nick and Juliette to be happy together. I wish they were getting married instead of Monroe and Rosalee. I have no desire to see them break up and Nick date the girl of the week. I agree with the poster who said that the later seasons of MASH were the best. I adored Winchester he was my favorite character after Hawkeye. I can't stand Reid on Criminal Minds and I really miss Prentiss she was the best.

• Love 1

I never understood the kryptonite-esque quality of the show title "Cougar Town" to cause viewers to pledge never to watch the show. From what I've read, I gather that some find the term "Cougar" to be disrespectful to women? I'm not a woman, so I'm sure my opinion is considered biased and suspect, but it doesn't seem insulting to me to note that an older woman enjoys pursuing and spending time with younger men. IMHO, I find the label "Trophy Wife" to be far more insulting to a woman - but I haven't heard about any backlash against that show over the issue. I guess it's time for me to enroll in a "21st Century Feminism" class to catch up on these things.

• Love 2

I'm a woman and the term "Cougar" doesn't really bother me.

It doesn't bother me either & I've done the whole dating younger guy thing in spades. I tried to watch the show once & was bored. I also tried to watch Modern Family & found it boring as well as not very funny. Also, as sacrilegious as this is to many, including my entire family who is horrified by my opinion, I can't stand Sherlock.
  • Love 2

Pushing Daisies UOs:

1. As much as I happen to enjoy the show---when I'm in the right mood, that is---I can very readily see why many found it too cloying and cutesy, with dialogue ranging from sneakily brilliant to cringe-inducing. I've never been baffled that it didn't find a wider audience.

2. On a related note, I often found the much-loved Jim Dale's narration annoyingly heavy-handed, superfluous and often disruptive. Then again, I nearly always feel that way about narration. (Arrested Development, I'm looking at you!)

3. While I agree with the criticisms about Chuck's characterization, I didn't think Olive's was much (if any!) better.

4. Ned could be both sweet and amusing, and it's always nice to see a main male character who's a shy and kind 'beta' over the usual alpha, but Ned's wishy-washy, passive-aggressive, whiney always-the-victim-ness sometimes drove me up the proverbial wall. The guy would have driven me nuts in real life!  

Honestly, I don't really love any of the characters, as odd as that sounds. I love the look and feel of the show, the mixture of uplifting sweetness and slyness, the themes and ideas, and even the goofy mysteries, but the characters themselves were pretty 'meh' for me---and a few were sub-meh! 

5. Most people seem to have preferred the first season to the second, but I far preferred the second to the first---it was a little less 'precious' and a little more layered IMO. 

1. I never understood the humor of HIMYM, and similarly Modern Family is so incredibly overrated. 

2. I watched the first season of Breaking Bad and never had any desire to continue watching. Many people have told me how much better it gets, but I don't care enough to stick around and find out.

3. I can't get into any supernatural type shows, whether it be GoT, OUAT or something like Lost back in the day.

4. I don't mind soapy shows like Nashville - I love shows like Mad Men but sometimes it is exhausting having to analyze every single thing you see in an episode.

The finale of True Detective did not disappoint me.

I hate Damon and Delena on The Vampire Diaries and it one of the reasons that finally drove me away from the show.

I don't care that much about Dany, Jon, on Game of Thrones. I like Jaime better then Tyrion. To be fair I think being a book reader has a small impact on these feelings.

I hated Spuffy and only think Spike worked when he was with Drusilla.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't stand Debra Barone on Everybody Loves Raymond. I have a handful of episodes where I don't mind her and actually like her character, but overall, I could never get behind her being frustrated with Ray and his family. I

Hear hear. I'm even harder on her. Couldn't stand her judgmental prissy perfect little self. I'm afraid the actress had something to do with it. I especially hated with the fire of a 1000 suns that episode when she's crying on the sofa. She makes appointments to cry with herself, since it's a woman thing. It might be a woman thing- I'm a woman and never saw a need to make appointments to cry, but maybe someone somewhere does.  What I HATED is that it seemed so much like a male scriptwriter trying to show he really got women. It creeped me out. And even without that I loathed her. I can spot this particular phenomenon- of impossibly wise & perfect female characters written by men showing they REALLY get how sensitive and perfect women are.

I'm sick of this theme of erring lovably goofy boys and their wise perfect and VERY boring women. It's just a mindless reversal of the dumb blonde stereotype. The problem is once you come up with that formula you no longer have to work at the character. I really dislike it. Elaine on Seinfeld is a bit like that too.  Much more smartly conceived but still hollow at the core. .With Elaine it's not so much a wise & perfect female but a vaguely intimidating, icy, and still judgmental woman who exists to put stupid boys in their place. Maybe a version of the dominatrix. I don't know- I just don't like it.

On another note, I hated the Monica-Chandler pairing on Friends. It instantly killed both characters for me. It also seemed vaguely incestuous.  I couldn't stand to watch them after that. And I enjoyed them both before it happened.

One more this round: hated the episode where Rachel and Monica and Phoebe drink the afternoon away in wedding dresses they are trying on, because they can't stand to take them off, these dresses being what they've dreamed of since they were darling little girls. ugh

Edited by nyxy
  • Love 2

I hate Damon and Delena on The Vampire Diaries and it one of the reasons that finally drove me away from the show.

I hated Spuffy and only think Spike worked when he was with Drusilla.

I took an instant dislike to Damon on TVD.  That and the neon-lit upcoming triangle meant I didn't make it out of the first episode.

I've realised over the last decade or so that I've evolved (or maybe devolved) to take a fairly big dislike to obvious 'bad boy' cliches.  Perhaps it's a sign of middle-age that I'm more likely to favour the 'boy scout' stereotype :)

I don't think hating Spuffy and preferring Spike/Dru makes you in a Party of One - there were plenty of us!  I hated schmoopy Spike and what it did to both his and Buffy's character, and thought Spike/Dru was one of the best things about the show (or maybe it was mostly the tragedy of Dru's life/death and Juliet Landau's performance, I dunno).

I hated 'Once More, With Feeling'.  There, I said it.

• Love 1
I hated 'Once More, With Feeling'.  There, I said it.

Hee---mine is that I think The Body is the most overrated episode of the entire series. Actually, I hate pretty much all of Season 5. And, even more unpopularly, thanks to my hatred of Faith and the Willow/Xander "tryst", I like Season 3 a whole lot less than most do. And while I didn't like Spike/Buffy, I have a flames-on-the-side-of-my-face hatred for the endless Xander/Anya relationship and don't think it did either character any favors. Oh, and Alyson Hannigan's painfully cutesy mannerisms make Willow, who would on paper be my favorite character, kind of painful for me to watch upon rewatch. I ended up feeling like both Oz and Tara deserved better. 

Re Veronica Mars: The Logan/Veronica allegedly 'epic' pairing came perilously close to ruining the entire show for me and I really wish for many reasons that they'd never gotten together in the first place. Also, I hated Lily Kane, which is one reason I hold the UO of preferring the less popular S2 to the wildly popular S1. And Veronica herself, as much as I know she's been through horrible traumas and admire many aspects of her character, is really hard for me to like. 

• Love 2

I can't stand Buffy. I binge-watched it all. Once. Never again.

And while most of the plots were good (or at least no worse than other genre plots), I hate almost all of the actors which spills over to their characters. I can't stand SMG's voice, David Boreanaz's anything (why do people insist he is good looking?), Spike's hair, Allison Hannigan's voice and mannerisms. I like Cordelia although I can't stand Charisma Carpenter.

OTOH, I adore Drusilla.

As to Veronica and Logan, I hate that they made them this OTP for many reasons. Logan was an ass. However, I can't deny that Bell and Dohring set the screen on fire together.

I don't hate Lily Kane. I don't like her but I see why motherless teenage Veronica would admire her. At least until she found her own dark side.

Re Veronica Mars: The Logan/Veronica allegedly 'epic' pairing came perilously close to ruining the entire show for me and I really wish for many reasons that they'd never gotten together in the first place.

I'm glad to know i'm not the only one who felt that way!

I'm not sure how unpopular this is - seems like it's more unpopular here and on TWOP, less unpopular elsewhere - but Once Upon a Time is godawful and has been that way for a while. When I heard that they brought on

Elsa from Frozen (which has to be one of the most overrated Disney movies ever)

, I thought, "Sounds about right."

Elaborating further on my earlier post about Chris Colfer: I'm annoyed with the idea that people should cut him some slack about his Glee episode because he's "only" 23 and this was "only" his first TV script. Who cares? If Chris wants to run with the big boys and play in the professional sandbox, he can take the critical lumps that come with it.

People were saying the same thing about his movie and books, too.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have to get this off my chest.   I hated the Coach and Tami Tyler marriage on Friday Nights Lights.

Tami was like every other tv wife, constantly criticizing her husband, refusing to accept his dreams that intefered with hers, etc.    Best example -- he finally gets a college coaching job.   Just what he wanted.   She doesn't want to leave Dillon.   Why?   The kids she is counseling need her.   She has done so much in her job.   Her job that she fricking started after the beginning of the school year and it was still football season.   In Texas, the high school playoffs are early December.   That means she started sometime in September and was whining how her dream job was more important than his was about 2 months later.    To the man she married knowing he wanted to be a college coach.   Just ugh.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 1

I agree that Daryl on The Walking Dead is definitely a super-awesome guy, but I do NOT get all the talk about his supposed hotness. Maybe there's something wrong with the settings on my TV, because the guy I'm seeing (both above and below the neck) is kind of icky.

Totally agree. If I were stuck in a Zombie apocalypse, I'd totally want him on my team, but he is not hot in any way, not even a scruffy redneck way.

This is an unpopular opinion in general but relates very closely to GoT.

My UO is that people should not place real-world standards on sci-fi and fantasy shows if that has not been explicitly been shown by said show to be true. Even if something is very similar to what we know to be true in the real/modern world is presented, it still may not be the case in that fictional world.

I'm with you, though I do expect the rules to make sense within the universe and be consistent rather than changing to suit the plot. It annoys the crap out of me when 3/4s of the talk on every show ever is self appointed experts bitching about how everything on the show is wrong and unrealistic.

On American Idol, I could care less if someone does a carbon copy/karaoke version of a song, as long as it's good.  It takes most artists weeks to rearrange a song and do it well, so if an amateur can't do it in a week, then they can't do it.  If they can, more power to them.

Same here. Maybe it's because I'm a mediocre musician with a lot of friends who are good musicians and am familiar with how arranging music is totally different skill from singing, but I find the expectation that these kids should take a song, learn it and then come up with a totally original arrangement in under a week and then teach it to the band and perform it unrealistic. Most who do something different are covering a cover or doing a song they were already performing before the show.

I'm a woman and the term "Cougar" doesn't really bother me.  I don't watch the show because I don't find it particularly entertaining.  I feel the same way about "Trophy Wife".

The word cougar never bothered me, but I thought it was a stupid title for the show. It made it sound like a desperate housewives knockoff, when it's really like Friends, but older. I thought it was kinda funny the couple times I watched, but I only watch sitcoms when there's nothing else on.

Here's my UO:

1) The Big Bang theory is neither funny nor smart

2) The entire CBS comedy lineup is the biggest bunch of lowest common denominator unfunny crapfests on television

3) the judges scores on DWTS don't need to be fair because it is a reality show, not a real dance competition

4) Marley and Unique on Glee were more enjoyable characters than Mercedes, Sam, Artie, Tina or Blaine

5) Every flavor of NCIS & CSI and the various shows which are just like them are terrible, with NCIS SVU being the worst one of all

6) Shows about rednecks doing redneck things are not entertaining.

7) jimmy Fallon is not funny. Neither is Conan.

• Love 1
(edited)

I should hate myself for this one, but...I genuinely liked Ghost Whisperer. Granted, I tuned out when they resorted to the ridiculous Jim-is-dead-but-not-really-because-now-he's-Sam-but-still-looks-like-Jim nonsense, but the first few seasons are really uplifting, engaging TV for me. In a TV universe populated by 'anti-heroes', it was so refreshing to me how genuinely nice and likable most of the characters were. I loved the admittedly corny but sweet ghost stories about gaining closure and moving on. And, perhaps most unpopular of all, I thought the widely mocked Jennifer Love Hewitt was genuinely engaging and root-worthy in the role. I'll show myself the door! ;) 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 10

I liked Ghost Whisperer as well, though I admit I liked it better when they were doing creepy mythology stuff. All that stuff about the lost souls in the tunnels under Grandview was flippin' awesome and I wish they'd done more with it. And that one episode in the last season about the creepy old lady ghost trying to keep the little girl ghost trapped in the house legitimately weirded me out!

• Love 3
I liked Ghost Whisperer as well, though I admit I liked it better when they were doing creepy mythology stuff. All that stuff about the lost souls in the tunnels under Grandview was flippin' awesome and I wish they'd done more with it.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! And I think you're referring to the stuff from the third season, which was by far my favorite. And while objectively I agree with the common criticism that Jim was kind of bland and their relationship unrealistically idealized, I kind of adored them as a couple anyway...they were just so supportive, affectionate and in love. I'm not used to seeing that on TV! ;) 

• Love 1
I hated the "let's kill Jim and put him in another body" crap they came up with.  I never understood that, nor liked it.  Plus the guy they picked to use as his host body looked younger than her.

Yeah, as I said a few posts above, I hated that nonsense as well. I also didn't much like Eli/Jamie Kennedy and found myself (and I think this is unpopular as well!) really missing Payne. Still, those last two seasons had some episodes that I really did like...especially if ones makes liberal use of the fast forward button when the 'Jim is Sam but really still Jim!' stuff is raised. Interestingly, I didn't hate their cutesy kid, Aiden, as much as I expected to! 

A different one: I don't think Modern Family is even the tiniest bit funny or entertaining. I've really tried to like it, but I just can't. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't get all the fawning over Adelaide Kane's (from the CW's Reign) looks. She's obviously not ugly, but I'm not knocked out by her beauty, either. She looks pretty, but in a very bland, basic way. 

Edited by galax-arena

I completely dislike Nikita. It fails miserably by it self, but especially compared to Le Femme Nikita... The former is like (attempted) spy-games for teens. I don't understand why am I surprised - it did air on CW.

And when on subject:
1. Maggie Q is awesome, but not as nearly as awesome as Peta W in the title role.
2. Who in his right mind casted West as Michael?! Dude always looks constipated, like he is trying hard to figure things out that elude him every single second of his waking hour.

I'm not sure this is an unpopular opinion since they're putting more of these types of shows on next year but....I hate the NCIS shows.  I think they're boring and depressing.  Plus with the exception of the different actors on the shows, they all basically have the same plot, dialogue, and scenarios.  If I hear that a show is the best show ever written I may watch it once but after that I'm just not interested.  If a show is touted as "cerebral" or has subtle humor, I'm not interested.  Not that I like stupid shows but when an ad implies I may not get the humor due to a lack of intelligence on my part,  it just turns me off.  I don't like The Office for this reason.  I've really tried to like It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Office, The Middle, and Modern Family but I just don't think they're entertaining or funny in any way.  I watch TV to escape reality for awhile not to get depressed or be grossed out by the content in the program.  Maybe I do like stupid shows!  

• Love 1

If a show is touted as "cerebral" or has subtle humor, I'm not interested.  Not that I like stupid shows but when an ad implies I may not get the humor due to a lack of intelligence on my part,  it just turns me off.  I don't like The Office for this reason.

Wait....The Office was considered "cerebral" and it was suggested that you have to be smart to get it?  That had to rank up there with one of the dumbest shows I've ever sat through.  I watched all of it because my son wanted to watch it and he was enjoying it, so I sat through it with him.  Parts of it were funny, as parts were, imo, well acted, but it never crossed my mind that it was intelligent humor.  Same with Arrested Development (which I did hear which I did hear "intelligent" applied to many times), but I've already covered that.

(edited)
Same with Arrested Development (which I did hear which I did hear "intelligent" applied to many times), but I've already covered that.

Yeah, I've always held the very unpopular opinion that parts of Arrested Development were too dopey and eye-rollingly ridiculous for the general public to embrace, not too smart and sophisticated. I hated that freaking chicken dance. And I didn't view AD repeating the same 'jokes' and phrases and storylines over and over and over as a brilliant display of continuity, more just self-indulgent and tiresome.  

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1

Yeah, I've always held the very unpopular opinion that parts of Arrested Development were too dopey and eye-rollingly ridiculous for the general public to embrace, not too smart and sophisticated. I hated that freaking chicken dance. And I didn't view AD repeating the same 'jokes' and phrases and storylines over and over and over as a brilliant display of continuity, more just self-indulgent and tiresome.

I like Arrested Development, but I agree about the "if you don't think it's funny, it's because you're too stupid to get it" attitude of some fans. I've seen the same thing from hardcore Community fans and it just makes me dislike the show even more than the Ep I tried to watch.

As for The Office & Modern Family, which have been mentioned several times....they're very hit and miss for me. I've never watched either regularly, but have seen both in syndication. There are some eps I think are really funny and others where there's no laughs to be had. Both were better their first couple seasons.

• Love 2

Not to mention, the continuity was so good that it was to their detriment, imo.  How could someone jump in mid season and really understand what was going on if they weren't getting the jokes because they hadn't watched from day one?  I thought there were some clever things on there, like the headlines on some of the newspapers, but the continuity was too much.  I also hated the chicken dance.  But, having said that, I loved Arrested Development (except for the stupid Netflix season). 

• Love 1

This one has come up before, but I just don't think Parks and Rec is funny. Heartwarming and sweetly optimistic, yes. Witty and clever and amusing? No, at least not to me. It's not because I need humor to be 'mean' in order to find it funny; I just don't find this show funny. And I've really, really tried! More Parks and Rec UOs: I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that April Ludgate is one of my least favorite characters ever, and I can't stand the actress who plays her. I actually thought Rob Lowe's Chris Traeger was one of the very best things about the show, and I was never much of a Rob Lowe fan. And Donna is fine, but not nearly as OMG-everything-she-says-and-does-is-utterly-awesome! to me as she is to most. Finally and most unpopularly (be gentle!), I think Amy Poehler is much better at the poignant scenes than the comedic ones. As a comedienne, I think she's really grating and highly overrated. 

• Love 2

I cannot stand Tori Spelling and have not watched any of her reality shows, but I liked Donna Martin and besides Brenda is one of my favorite 90210 characters. Mostly because she was a good friend most of the time to the other characters and even though she should of hated Val she still gave her a chance.

I still enjoy Grey's even though it not as good as it was the first couple of seasons. I still find myself entertained by it and I do enjoy some of the characters.

• Love 1

I still enjoy Grey's even though it not as good as it was the first couple of seasons. I still find myself entertained by it and I do enjoy some of the characters.

Not only do I still watch Grey's with pleasure (ecxept for my Shonda-rants), Choclatechip45, I still watch reruns - all the time.

Not only do I still watch Grey's with pleasure (ecxept for my Shonda-rants), Choclatechip45, I still watch reruns - all the time.

Glad I'm not the only one. I have been doing a rewatch and I forgot how addictive the early seasons are even though I know what happens.

• Love 1

I have been doing a rewatch and I forgot how addictive the early seasons are even though I know what happens.

I can't tell you how many times I've fallen in that trap, choclatechip45.  I'll be scrolling through the guide looking to avoid watching the depressing documentaries on my DVR and come across a Grey's rerun, and I'm suddenly watching 3 episodes a day again.  It's a sickness.  :-)

• Love 1

I liked the remake of 90210 and thought the cast were perfectly talented if not stereotypical CW actors.

Damon Salvatore is a tool.

I hated Jamie Scott on One Tree Hill more then I've hated a tv character in a long time.

LOST UOs:

I loved the much-maligned finale beyond the telling of it.

I couldn't care less about the widely loved Juliet or her romance with Sawyer.

I hated the Kate/Sawyer pairing. 

Sun bored me.

I think Libby was probably the best female character on that show, if only by default.

I think Matthew Fox deserved a lot more credit for his work as Jack, which was often a really thankless role.

I absolutely despised Charlie. 

S4 was by far my favorite season.  

I'm not sure this last one is unpopular, but while I was among the few who wasn't disillusioned by the end of the series---in fact, I think overall I hold the exceptionally unpopular opinion of preferring the last three seasons to the first three---the show has almost no rewatch value for me at all. I usually watch my favorites over and over (...and over!), but somehow with LOST I just never have any interest in watching it again. 

• Love 2

6. The O.C.: Summer wasn't all that, Marissa didn't die fast enough imo. On the other hand, Taylor was and is my favourite character in that sad thing of a show.

Oh, I loved Taylor, both as a nemesis and later as a friend. Ryan/Taylor worked so much better than Ryan with any other of his girlfriends. I liked Summer in the first season, when she was still amusing. Season 2 and onwards, after the whole Zach thing, she was just boring. 

I tried to watch Orphan Black but found it incredibly boring. Same with Hannibal and True Detective. 

• Love 4
(edited)
I tried to watch Orphan Black but found it incredibly boring. Same with Hannibal and True Detective.

Agreed on the first two.  Wholeheartedly.

I have odd reasons for not watching True Detective beyond the first episode - I hated the scene where Rust blows the $10 bill towards the detectives for some beer, and the ending scene where he smugly tells the detectives to ask the right fucking questions.  I don't know - I realize "badass," irreverent characters are the order of the day, but those scenes put me right off the show, I don't care how good it allegedly is.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1
I tried to watch Orphan Black but found it incredibly boring. Same with Hannibal

I'm so glad I'm not alone! They can join Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. on the depressingly long list of quality dramas I know I should like but don't.

Peyton Sawyer was my favorite female on One Tree Hill. I also, could not stand Brooke Davis and never bought the Peyton/Brooke friendship or the Haley/Brooke friendship.

I preferred Peyton with Lucas. I always felt Lucas and Brooke were only together because CMM and Sophia started dating, married and divorced. And the Mark Schwan only kept them together to prove a point. 

• Love 1
(edited)

"Friends" was the most overrated tv show of the 90's/early 2000s and I was more upset about its stay of execution for a ninth and tenth season than I was when the CW picked up 7th Heaven for its squarly undeserved 11th.

I've just recently binge watched Scandal and have come to realize the true triangle in this show is Mellie/Fitz/Cyrus as Cy and Mel battle each other to get Fitz to do their bidding.

Speaking of him, Papa Pope nailed it, Fitz is no match for Olivia. This guy seems to gey dragged by the nose by everyone in his life and im beyond caring if those two get together. Keep Livi with McDreamy...um, I mean Jake. Er, yeah....;)

ETA: I never saw the big deal about Star Trek:TNG's "The Inner Light" or "The Best of Both Worlds." I was too young to remeber the rumors surrounding Patrick Stewards countract that resulted in the cliffhanger and I assume that factors into part 1's general popularity. But Inner Light does nothing for me. Like, at all.

Even more Trek herasy:I didn't hate the Ferengi episodes of DS9. Well, most of them....I think it took three viewings to get tired of Profit and Lace, and I'd still rank it above Enterprise's abomination of a finale.

Lastly, the one episode of Enterprise that gets a lot of discussion that doesn't involve who T'Pol should've screwed or the finale is "Congenitor." And by season two standards it certainly stands out for having something slightly more complex than decon rubdowns and shootouts, but after a second viewing it feels pretty hollow and Archer looks like a complete and total hypocrite for chewing Trip for doing what he, Archer, has led the example for in every episode leading up to this.

Edited by Anna Yolei

Donna Noble is the best New-Who companion.

Bates Motel is boring, and I am sad Freddie Highmore grew up.

I hate OUAT, even though I love Ginnifer Goodwin.

I broke up with Lost after season 1, and never regret it.

I am still pissed (still!) that they canceled Joan of Arcadia, and I think less of Amber Tamblyn for joining Two 1/2 Men.

I'll take Zack Gilford over Taylor Kitsch any day of the week.

• Love 1