Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

That reminds me of an unpopular opinion of mine: I found every minute of Seinfeld I ever saw aggressively unfunny and its massive popularity baffles me to this day.

I tried watching it once. Figured out they were all kind of terrible people and never watched it again, nor do I feel I missed anything. That's just not my kind of comedy. Of course I never cared for Friends either, though I did manage to watch a bit more of that. It made me snicker a few times and wasn't actively terrible I just didn't like it much. 

• Love 6

I lost interest in Fringe right when many people thought it got good, with all the parallel universes and time travel. Bah.

A two-fer UO and perhaps too soon: I never liked Anthony Bourdain's smug travel shows. There's a way to be the host but not make it all about you.

• Love 8

This isn't mine but a poster on another board said he misses commercials on streaming shows.

Even on DVR'd shows he doesn't fast-forward through the ads; he feels like they give each episode a comforting ebb and flow. It's not that he enjoys the ads for their own sake as bits of as pop culture, but likes having a set break from the content of the show where he can let his mind relax or step away to get a snack.

Wow.

• Love 5

Because ratings are apparently all that matters, not quality or ethics.

Yes, they do.

Here's my unpopular opinion:  I don't care that much when shows are cancelled.  It's not a tragedy to me that Netflix only keeps their shows going for three or four seasons now.  I don't mourn shows I can barely remember.  I can't get mad that shows are cancelled because I know that ratings/the number  of subscribers are mainly the only thing that matters.

• Love 6
(edited)
40 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Here's my unpopular opinion:  I don't care that much when shows are cancelled. 

My perhaps even more unpopular opinion:
I am often relieved when a favorite show is cancelled because it delivers me from the addiction, which often involves loss of sleep, missed conversations, etc.
Plus, it means that if I ever want to rewatch the series, it is more doable.

1 hour ago, palmaire said:

This isn't mine but a poster on another board said he misses commercials on streaming shows.

Even on DVR'd shows he doesn't fast-forward through the ads; he feels like they give each episode a comforting ebb and flow. It's not that he enjoys the ads for their own sake as bits of as pop culture, but likes having a set break from the content of the show where he can let his mind relax or step away to get a snack.

Wow.

My daughter used to do that. LOL

7 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I loved "appointment" television. . . .

I will always be grateful that Lost happened before streaming. It might have gone up in flames at the end, but the weeks of speculation, researching, theorizing , those were what made the show great. . . .

I still remember fondly an academic committee I attended the day after Lost aired each week. We never discussed it--because not everyone had seen it yet; some recorded it--but we shared a mutual excitement unmatched by many formal societal celebrations.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I tried watching it once. Figured out they were all kind of terrible people and never watched it again, nor do I feel I missed anything. That's just not my kind of comedy. Of course I never cared for Friends either, though I did manage to watch a bit more of that. It made me snicker a few times and wasn't actively terrible I just didn't like it much. 

I think MAD magazine summed up Seinfeld best with their 'I'm bland and my friends are crazy' cartoon strip. 

• Love 3

My only appointment show was Farscape. Being in college in the 90s and living with a lot of people, you can't really get in front of the tv. I recorded a lot of shows. 

I didn't watch Seinfeld, but I did catch the backwards episode and I thought it was a clever piece of television.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

I lost interest in Fringe right when many people thought it got good, with all the parallel universes and time travel. Bah.

I lost interest in Fringe when I learned it wasn't supposed to be cheesy.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

My perhaps even more unpopular opinion:
I am often relieved when a favorite show is cancelled because it delivers me from the addiction, which often involves loss of sleep, missed conversations, etc.
Plus, it means that if I ever want to rewatch the series, it is more doable.

I wouldn't say I'm ever relieved, but I think it's nice that some shows get cancelled before they go down the drain.  It's like if James Dean had gotten old and gross he wouldn't be James Dean.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, palmaire said:

Wow.

I actually agree with this and while I don't always let the commercials run, even the act of fast forwarding through them gives me a chance to breath.  Commercial breaks do tend to give the show a better rhythm.  When I do let the ads run, it can allow me a chance to multi-task while a show is on.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, 2727 said:

A two-fer UO and perhaps too soon: I never liked Anthony Bourdain's smug travel shows. There's a way to be the host but not make it all about you.

Me too. I also hated Walter Bishop and thought he didn't deserve sympathy. He kidnapped Peter and experimented on Olivia they deserved sympathy not him. I also think John Noble over acts.

• Love 4
On 7/6/2019 at 2:41 PM, 2727 said:

I still remember how I always got so excited each week to decode the glyph sequence in the opening credits of Fringe, but I don't recall anything else, even though I was an avid fan at the time.
I was equally obsessed with Battlestar Galactica and now don't know why.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, Mabinogia said:

I loved "appointment" television. Now, with streaming, there's less excitement. Stranger Things has been available for, I guess a few days? I don't even know. I was super excited to see it when last season ended, but it's there, it will be there for a while, there's no urgency, no excitement to watch it because it's just...there, waiting. Some people have seen all of it already, some have seen one, maybe two, some have not seen it yet. Even the "watercooler" buzz is kind of gone now. "Did you see it?" "No, not yet, no spoilers!" is what you hear now instead of "OMG yes, can you believe, blah blah, I wonder what will happen next week!"

I will always be grateful that Lost happened before streaming. It might have gone up in flames at the end, but the weeks of speculation, researching, theorizing , those were what made the show great. If I'd have watched a whole season in a weekend I think the fun of that would have been lost. Also, you wouldn't really be able to do much in the way of research because of spoilers, and speculation would be peppered with those people who have seen the whole thing but like to pretend they "solved the mystery" and frame it as their theory when they already know the answer. 

Yeah. It's not even as much fun to discuss online, which is a lot of my television enjoyment. If I've watched a few episodes in a row, sometimes I forget what happened in which episode, so I don't post. There's also not as much chatter in the ep threads, wondering what's going to happen next and ruminating about why so-and-so did this, or what did that thing mean, etc. 

• Love 13
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, palmaire said:

Wow.

I appreciate commercials sometimes for the bathroom break opportunities.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The funny thing is, when I watch something on demand or on Netflix, I now I can pause it and go to the bathroom any time I want, and yet I don't. But I will use commercials to go or get food or whatever. Maybe years of TV watching has me programmed to wait for commercials. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

The funny thing is, when I watch something on demand or on Netflix, I now I can pause it and go to the bathroom any time I want, and yet I don't. But I will use commercials to go or get food or whatever. Maybe years of TV watching has me programmed to wait for commercials. 

I had to have some serious inner dialogue with myself about this. I now mentally pat myself on the back everytime I pause a streaming show for potty, phone call, sleep, another show on over-the-air TV, etc.

3 HOURS AGO, KIDDO82 SAID:
12 HOURS AGO, PROSERPINA65 SAID:

I do the dishes

This reminds me of visiting my aging parents — Dad would get up during a commercial and come back with small dishes with a scoop of ice cream in each. The next commercial I'd get up and take them to the dishwasher. ❤️

• LOL 2
  • Love 17

I think it takes me longer now to watch shows with the DVR because I can pause a bazillion times to jump up and do whatever random thing pops into my mind -- clean the cat boxes, make a quesadilla in the middle of the night, look in the closet to see whether I do or do not have a long black skirt (and, if the latter, get on Amazon and get one!), play with cats, suddenly remember that the washer stopped two hours ago...

• LOL 10
  • Love 7

I got a new tablet. Mine was old and the OS wouldn't have any more updates. So you couldn't watch Netflix. I also found a (legal) program that converts .tivo to .avi (you have to enter your access key to use it). So I've been watching shows outside on my porch in my free time. I can blow through shows without commercial breaks. And if I need to go in the kitchen I just bring it with me. I'll pause every half hour or so for a break, drink, email, etc. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I think it takes me longer now to watch shows with the DVR because I can pause a bazillion times to jump up and do whatever random thing pops into my mind -- clean the cat boxes, make a quesadilla in the middle of the night, look in the closet to see whether I do or do not have a long black skirt (and, if the latter, get on Amazon and get one!), play with cats, suddenly remember that the washer stopped two hours ago...

Same here. It actually sometimes makes it difficult to remember what happens in which episode. Because I'll start the next episode immediately after I finish an episode but will then take a long break in the middle of an episode. So I remember things more by viewing session than by episode.

• Love 2

OK, I overall liked the show Any Day Now, but got annoyed when they did the childhood flashbacks via muted,tinted color.  No one has memories in that form so why did they do that? It wasn't as though the audience would have been too dim not to 'get' that via different clothing styles,etc. that the flashbacks were of an earlier time than contemporary.  At least Miss Potts has recently shined in Toy Story 4 so I'm hoping she can be back on the small screen on a regular basis before too long! 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, I overall liked the show Any Day Now, but got annoyed when they did the childhood flashbacks via muted,tinted color.  No one has memories in that form so why did they do that? It wasn't as though the audience would have been too dim not to 'get' that via different clothing styles,etc. that the flashbacks were of an earlier time than contemporary.  At least Miss Potts has recently shined in Toy Story 4 so I'm hoping she can be back on the small screen on a regular basis before too long! 

She is, Annie Potts plays Connie aka "Meemaw" on Young Sheldon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 7/11/2019 at 1:09 AM, Blergh said:

I've never seen Any Day Now but I don't get the point of questioning how flashbacks are depicted. People's memories also don't take the form of complete scenes shown from the perspective of some unknown third person.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am bored with Stranger Things.   I watched five minutes of the latest season then stopped to look for something else.  Will probably eventually watch it....but 😑

I was bored with it early in season two. I thought the first season was amusing, but did not live up to the hype for me. I barely made it through season two. I have yet to watch any of the latest seasons. I think I was enamored with all the nostalgia during the first season, but became less and less enamored with it as the series when on.

I think all the kids are decent actors, but definitely not the best ever. I am including the popular Millie Bobby Brown in that. Though she probably gets more to work with than the others.

• Love 2

I think all the kids are decent actors, but definitely not the best ever. I am including the popular Millie BobbyBrown in that.

I don’t get the obsession with her. I think she’s good and gets the best material but just don’t think shes as amazing as she’s made out to be. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I think she’s good and gets the best material but just don’t think shes as amazing as she’s made out to be. 

Agreed.  In fact, I think it's Noah Schnapp (Will) who is the best of all of them.  He was especially underrated last season.

• Love 7
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

Yes, they do.

Here's my unpopular opinion:  I don't care that much when shows are cancelled.  It's not a tragedy to me that Netflix only keeps their shows going for three or four seasons now.  I don't mourn shows I can barely remember.  I can't get mad that shows are cancelled because I know that ratings/the number  of subscribers are mainly the only thing that matters.

it doesn't bother me as much anymore either for several reasons :

May shows in the US especially go on far too long and I just wish they would be cancelled

There are so many new shows and so many quality shows that there is never really a time where I just have nothing new to watch or coming up.  I literally almost have to write down a timeline and script to track them all

So many of the old shows are available in so many formats that they can fill in when there is a lull in the new shows. 

There are a number of quality shows that are ending or have ended in the past few years, but it not like I feel there is nothing to watch. 

11 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I was bored with it early in season two. I thought the first season was amusing, but did not live up to the hype for me. I barely made it through season two. I have yet to watch any of the latest seasons. I think I was enamored with all the nostalgia during the first season, but became less and less enamored with it as the series when on.

I think all the kids are decent actors, but definitely not the best ever. I am including the popular Millie Bobby Brown in that. Though she probably gets more to work with than the others.

I thought season two was pretty mediocre and pretty much just muddled through it

But I tried season three and thought it was great, as good or better than season one. 

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

Yes, they do.

I care if they end on a cliffhanger.  Give us closure, people.  That's all I ask.  Otherwise, no.  I remember when American Dreams ended people were upset, but I was kind of glad.  They had already stated on-screen that you couldn't be on Bandstand after graduation and I think that was a major part of the show and would have suffered without it. 

And, though I only watched the first epi after, so it doesn't really affect my life any, I think it was a bad idea to bring Last Man Standing back.  They ended it at a good point.  It was time for all the kids to fly the nest.  Maybe the finale wasn't the best since they didn't know it was going to the finale epi, but it was still a good ending spot, IMO.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/6/2019 at 2:23 PM, Melgaypet said:

That reminds me of an unpopular opinion of mine: I found every minute of Seinfeld I ever saw aggressively unfunny and its massive popularity baffles me to this day.

I thought I was the only one who found Seinfeld painfully unfunny.  

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

it doesn't bother me as much anymore either for several reasons :

May shows in the US especially go on far too long and I just wish they would be cancelled

There are so many new shows and so many quality shows that there is never really a time where I just have nothing new to watch or coming up.  I literally almost have to write down a timeline and script to track them all

So many of the old shows are available in so many formats that they can fill in when there is a lull in the new shows. 

There are a number of quality shows that are ending or have ended in the past few years, but it not like I feel there is nothing to watch. 

I thought season two was pretty mediocre and pretty much just muddled through it

But I tried season three and thought it was great, as good or better than season one. 

I understand.  My issue and this is especially true on streaming services is the lack of a finale.    The vast majority of tv shows you do eventually forget about and the lack of an ending does fade with time but with a streaming service that show with two seasons and no ending flashes in your face every time you open the site.   It would actually be in the streaming services  interest to give most of their shows a quick finale.  Even if it is just a two hour movie like Sense8 did.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

I couldn't stand Seinfeld.    I only saw a few episodes, but none of them were funny.    I did see the one where Elaine had the barking dog, and they stole it, but it came back, and I didn't see what was supposed to be funny about any of that.  

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I couldn't stand Seinfeld.    I only saw a few episodes, but none of them were funny.    I did see the one where Elaine had the barking dog, and they stole it, but it came back, and I didn't see what was supposed to be funny about any of that.  

Seinfeld was hit or miss for me. There were some episodes I felt were funny (like the Soup Nazi) but most I think I was just like "OK, whatever."  

Especially unpopular opinion:  I thought The Master of My Domain (or whatever it was called) was the stupidest episode of anything ever.  Ducking to avoid rocks.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I care if they end on a cliffhanger.  Give us closure, people.  That's all I ask.  Otherwise, no.  I remember when American Dreams ended people were upset, but I was kind of glad.  They had already stated on-screen that you couldn't be on Bandstand after graduation and I think that was a major part of the show and would have suffered without it. 

And, though I only watched the first epi after, so it doesn't really affect my life any, I think it was a bad idea to bring Last Man Standing back.  They ended it at a good point.  It was time for all the kids to fly the nest.  Maybe the finale wasn't the best since they didn't know it was going to the finale epi, but it was still a good ending spot, IMO.

I care if it's a show I particularly enjoy, but other than that, not so much.

56 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I thought I was the only one who found Seinfeld painfully unfunny.  

Nope, I hated the show.  The only thing I ever found funny was the bit when they were lost in the parking garage, and only because I've done that.

• Love 4
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Seinfeld was hit or miss for me. There were some episodes I felt were funny (like the Soup Nazi) but most I think I was just like "OK, whatever."  

Especially unpopular opinion:  I thought The Master of My Domain (or whatever it was called) was the stupidest episode of anything ever.  Ducking to avoid rocks.

THANK YOU! I especially loathed it because this episode heralded a crude, juvenile tone to that show which it would never rise above or even attempt do so - over something that's truly no one else's biz! I hated when TV GUIDE gave that episode a 'CHEER' instead of the IMO deserved 'JEER"! Yeah, we may have to invest in strong helmets and face shields for saying what we've said but it NEEDED to be said! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2

I also hated Seinfeld. It was just so ridiculous sometimes. Like the episode where Kramer adopts a highway and repaints the lanes so you have more room to drive, essentially reducing it from four lanes to two for a mile and causing all sorts of traffic problems. For fuck sake, who does that?

I did like the one where Elaine kept getting dragged to see The English Patient multiple times because she hated it and people kept insisting she give it another try. I felt her pain there (also because I hated The English Patient) but mostly because I've been there with people who insist that I try something I dislike, even though I've already tried it several times. 

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I did like the one where Elaine kept getting dragged to see The English Patient multiple times because she hated it and people kept insisting she give it another try. I felt her pain there (also because I hated The English Patient) but mostly because I've been there with people who insist that I try something I dislike, even though I've already tried it several times. 

And the episode where every day is a cake day at the office. We don't have to do birthday cakes every day for people who are turning 37 years old! But I had one guy at my former office who had, like, a spreadsheet of everyone's birthdays and insisted on doing cakes. Then you get the sugar rush and you're disappointed when there's no cake and you wind up going to the vending machine for chocolate.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm going out on a limb here & guessing by your user name that you're from Alabama 🙂. I can see how someone who isn't from the East coast wouldn't get "Seinfeld", because it is a very New York show, with New York sensibilities. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, GaT said:

I'm going out on a limb here & guessing by your user name that you're from Alabama 🙂. I can see how someone who isn't from the East coast wouldn't get "Seinfeld", because it is a very New York show, with New York sensibilities. 

I'm NYC born and raised. 50 of my 57 years have been lived in NYC. I never liked "Seinfeld," either. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

And the episode where every day is a cake day at the office. We don't have to do birthday cakes every day for people who are turning 37 years old! But I had one guy at my former office who had, like, a spreadsheet of everyone's birthdays and insisted on doing cakes. Then you get the sugar rush and you're disappointed when there's no cake and you wind up going to the vending machine for chocolate.

Wouldn't it make more sense--and save more time--to have just one day a month to celebrate everyone born that month? That's how every workplace I've been in has done it.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, GaT said:

I don't know. I was a teen from the midwest when Seinfeld was on and I found so much of it funny and relatable.  The way the show approached social conventions,  people and humanity aligned very much with how I do/did.

I just think whether it hits the funny bone is related much to that more than location even if it did have some NY specific humor.   It was the biggest series towards the end which I don't think would have happened if humor rested on a geo-specific sensibility. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Actually, I'm not originally from Alabama.    I've lived here a long time now, but also other places all over the country.     I still don't like a lot of very popular shows like Seinfeld, and some others that my friends all raved about.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GaT said:

I’m from Long Island a twenty minute train ride to New York City and I have liked other New York Based shows.   This one was just stupid.   

• Love 6
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Nope, I hated the show.  The only thing I ever found funny was the bit when they were lost in the parking garage, and only because I've done that.

Yeah, that was a good one.  Not to that extent, but it's probably something we've all done at one time or another.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

14 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I care if it's a show I particularly enjoy, but other than that, not so much.

13 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I also hated Seinfeld. It was just so ridiculous sometimes. Like the episode where Kramer adopts a highway and repaints the lanes so you have more room to drive, essentially reducing it from four lanes to two for a mile and causing all sorts of traffic problems. For fuck sake, who does that?

12 hours ago, Minneapple said:

12 hours ago, Camille said:

Wouldn't it make more sense--and save more time--to have just one day a month to celebrate everyone born that month? That's how every workplace I've been in has done it.

Yeah, it was hit or miss with me too. The episodes I like were those three and other similar ones that I could relate too. Elaine being dragged to the English Patient over and over cracked me up I've been there with friends and family making me watch TV shows or movies over and over insisting I would "love" it if I gave it another chance particularly like Bones and Downton Abbey and no I never did. Or being lost in the parking garage been there too. The cake one cracked me up I wondered if offices really did that for everyone who had a birthday and ended up working for a place that did. Yes, once a month would be so much more simpler but nope they did so for everyone. I was surprised how quickly I got sick of cake and how people got weird if you turned down free cake. 

• Love 2