Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
mstaken

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

Recommended Posts

I'm starting a petition to retire the phrase "ruin my/your childhood" when referring to remakes et al.  The fact that another version exists doesn't mean something goes into your brain and warps your memories.  The past does not actually change.  I mean, if a television show or movie really did have the power to go back in time and affect the past then we really need to use our powers for something more important than new Ninja Turtles.  Saying it "ruined my childhood" is just weird hyperbole.

  • Like 22
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I'm starting a petition to retire the phrase "ruin my/your childhood" when referring to remakes et al.  The fact that another version exists doesn't mean something goes into your brain and warps your memories.  The past does not actually change.  I mean, if a television show or movie really did have the power to go back in time and affect the past then we really need to use our powers for something more important than new Ninja Turtles.  Saying it "ruined my childhood" is just weird hyperbole.

Plus, hopefully the largest part of your childhood wasn't TV and movies.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I'm starting a petition to retire the phrase "ruin my/your childhood" when referring to remakes et al.  The fact that another version exists doesn't mean something goes into your brain and warps your memories.  The past does not actually change.  I mean, if a television show or movie really did have the power to go back in time and affect the past then we really need to use our powers for something more important than new Ninja Turtles.  Saying it "ruined my childhood" is just weird hyperbole.

They all say that is a weird hyperbole or "you invest too much on a show" until the TPTB start remaking TV shows / movies they love and/or grow up with 😄 😄 😄

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

They all say that is a weird hyperbole or "you invest too much on a show" until the TPTB start remaking TV shows / movies they love and/or grow up with 😄 😄 😄

I just don't watch the shows.  I loved MacGyver.  Loved loved loved it.  I watched one episode of the new one, threw something at the TV (OK not really) and haven't watched an episode since.  But its mere existence isn't really affecting my life, or MacGyver memories, at all.

I feel the same way when people whine and complain and say a show that they used to like has gotten bad and they should cancel it.  Well, just don't watch it anymore.  Which may end up helping your ultimate goal anyway, if you can convince likeminded people to do the same.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/27/2019 at 10:36 AM, topanga said:

A similar--yet totally different-- example of this was on an episode of Psych. It was Gus and Shawn's 13 year high school reunion (not 10--Thirteen). They graduated HS in 1995, and the reunion took place in 2008. But the reunion played all '80s music. In one scene of the episode, Shawn performs the entire dance scene from "Breakfast Club."

The showrunner and writers (or maybe the director) chose '80s music because it was the music of their high school years. I thought it was great -- I also went to high school in the '80s.

The showrunner's high school years, or the characters' high school years?  '80s music would be the elementary school years of kids graduating in 1995.  But the point still stands.  You'd be listening to music of your youth (childhood or adolescence) at your reunion. 

On the other hand, I'm fairly certain we had a mix of music at my 10 year reunion.  We didn't stop listening to new music when we graduated from high school, and plenty of people like music from before they were born.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I feel the same way when people whine and complain and say a show that they used to like has gotten bad and they should cancel it.  Well, just don't watch it anymore.  Which may end up helping your ultimate goal anyway, if you can convince likeminded people to do the same.

Agreed with this.  The overabundance of remakes is one of the reasons I do not watch that much TV anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

They all say that is a weird hyperbole or "you invest too much on a show" until the TPTB start remaking TV shows / movies they love and/or grow up with 😄 😄 😄

They already have and like I said, it doesn't change my enjoyment of the original or affect my life now.

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just don't watch the shows.  I loved MacGyver.  Loved loved loved it.  I watched one episode of the new one, threw something at the TV (OK not really) and haven't watched an episode since.  But its mere existence isn't really affecting my life, or MacGyver memories, at all.

Exactly.  I have questioned the "why", as in, "did anybody really ask for this", but it's so easy to pick up and move on.  It's weird to begrudge anything that isn't inherently harmful merely for existing.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

They all say that is a weird hyperbole or "you invest too much on a show" until the TPTB start remaking TV shows / movies they love and/or grow up with 😄

If they remake my favorite shows, if it looks interesting I will try it, if not I will just ignore it. Either way, it won't destroy my love of the original. I have never had a remake ruin my love of an original show or movie. 

I actually like remakes because I find it interesting to see how the changes in society/the world, affect a story. Now, a remake of something made in the past 5 years, no, that seems unnecessary but a remake over a longer period of time can be really interesting. Like A Star is Born. It was remade in 4 different eras and was told 4 different ways, each way fitting with how society was at that time. That, to me, is interesting. Or remaking something from another country. This is also interesting, seeing how different cultures tell the same story. 

I can't really wrap my head around why anyone would get upset about a remake as the only affect it might have on the original is to raise awareness of it and possibly get more people to check it out, people who never would have heard of it had it not been for the remake. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I generally dislike remakes because I'd rather all the millions of writers and wannabe writers out there write some new shows for me to watch, rather than rehashing old shows that I may or may not have been interested in watching back when they were new and fresh.  Have writers run out of ideas?  No.  Networks have run out of balls to show anything that doesn't have a money-making track record, like some old show.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

My issue with remakes and reboots is my annoyance with TPTB in Hollywood not having any new or creative ideas or new and creative shows don’t fit their mold. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

It's just lazy to me because it means you don't want to put in the effort to make original content and you're just greedy because you know you'll still cash in. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of reboots, there's a link to an article about possible reboots for Perfect Strangers and FAmily Matters. I didn't read the article. But, talk about something nobody asked for.  Did Perfect Strangers ever even get reruns in syndication at all?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Speaking of reboots, there's a link to an article about possible reboots for Perfect Strangers and FAmily Matters. I didn't read the article. But, talk about something nobody asked for.  Did Perfect Strangers ever even get reruns in syndication at all?

It did, but the idea of 60-something Larry and Balki still acting like idiots depresses me to no end.

And a Family Matters reboot? Well, looks like Nietzsche was right all along. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

It did, but the idea of 60-something Larry and Balki still acting like idiots depresses me to no end.

And a Family Matters reboot? Well, looks like Nietzsche was right all along. 

ONLY if they attempted a Family Matters without it getting needlessly hijacked by an annoying pest (as its original incarnation was) would it be worth doing!  I hated how TPTB seemed to lose all faith in their original cast being able to interact as family being enough to carry the show! 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Blergh said:

ONLY if they attempted a Family Matters without it getting needlessly hijacked by an annoying pest (as its original incarnation was) would it be worth doing!  I hated how TPTB seemed to lose all faith in their original cast being able to interact as family being enough to carry the show! 

I thought I was the only one who thought Urkel ruined the show.  He was awful. he would have been fine as a character who had as much screen time as Skippy on Family Ties.  But, to take over the whole show was just too much.  I couldn't watch it. It was annoying.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Blergh said:

ONLY if they attempted a Family Matters without it getting needlessly hijacked by an annoying pest (as its original incarnation was) would it be worth doing!  I hated how TPTB seemed to lose all faith in their original cast being able to interact as family being enough to carry the show! 

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought I was the only one who thought Urkel ruined the show.  He was awful. he would have been fine as a character who had as much screen time as Skippy on Family Ties.  But, to take over the whole show was just too much.  I couldn't watch it. It was annoying.

My people! If that's how you feel, then check this out...

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/30/2019 at 9:06 PM, kiddo82 said:

I'm starting a petition to retire the phrase "ruin my/your childhood" when referring to remakes et al.  The fact that another version exists doesn't mean something goes into your brain and warps your memories.  The past does not actually change.  I mean, if a television show or movie really did have the power to go back in time and affect the past then we really need to use our powers for something more important than new Ninja Turtles.  Saying it "ruined my childhood" is just weird hyperbole.

This video shows why I hate that phrase. In a world of real issues, where there is actual struggles and even danger, them remaking something you liked as a kid should be the least of your problems.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought I was the only one who thought Urkel ruined the show.  He was awful. he would have been fine as a character who had as much screen time as Skippy on Family Ties.  But, to take over the whole show was just too much.  I couldn't watch it. It was annoying.

Nope, I did too. It's too bad, because while I initially empathized with the "Black & Nerdy" trope, he rapidly became annoying as hell. I really hate the way everyone else was made out to be wrong for having the nerve to be upset with his constant presence and interference.

And even though I'm sure it was happening before, frankly, I feel like he was responsible for an entire generation of teenage girls being stalked and harassed by would-be boyfriend's because this idiot planted the idea of "Keep trying and eventually, she'll give in." in their heads.

  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

26 minutes ago, Camille said:

And even though I'm sure it was happening before, frankly, I feel like he was responsible for an entire generation of teenage girls being stalked and harassed by would-be boyfriend's because this idiot planted the idea of "Keep trying and eventually, she'll give in." in their heads.

It's actually an old trope, but I feel Urkel really, really rejuvenated it for a younger generation, and it's somehow gotten worse (though at least writers nowadays are trying to address and/or avoid it).

Urkel becomes more and more detestable in hindsight, doesn't he? I wonder if Jaleel White or any other Family Matters cast-mates feel this way? 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My people! If that's how you feel, then check this out...

 Considering how the show started out as a spin off for Jo Marie Payton's character Harriette as an elevator operator that the Perfect Strangers had befriended- then it wound up that Miss Payton parting ways with the show and her character recast, I wonder if she might have  been the cast member closer to that POV re Urquel? 

 To keep this ontopic, I agree that it would have been preferable had Urquel been a rarely seen character (though not as ideal as NEVER seen) like Skippy on Family Ties. However; in my UO I hated how they very quickly turned Skippy from a mere nerd who was Alex's sidekick to a cartoon of someone too dumb to breathe! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Blergh said:

However; in my UO I hated how they very quickly turned Skippy from a mere nerd who was Alex's sidekick to a cartoon of someone too dumb to breathe! 

Flanderization.

I mentioned it on the "Tropes You Hate" page. I hate it when a character's quirk becomes all-consuming. Come to think of it, that happened with Urkel too--he went from merely smart to insane levels of genius.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

There's no way Family Matters would have made it past the first season if it hadn't been for Urkel.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Camille said:

Flanderization.

I mentioned it on the "Tropes You Hate" page. I hate it when a character's quirk becomes all-consuming. Come to think of it, that happened with Urkel too--he went from merely smart to insane levels of genius.

And yet he has no workable social skills and can't read a room to save his damn life! 'Cause, y'know, NERDS, AMIRITE?!?!

*Ragged, weary sigh*

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

And yet he has no workable social skills and can't read a room to save his damn life! 'Cause, y'know, NERDS, AMIRITE?!?!

*Ragged, weary sigh*

Not just social skills, but normal, human skills. I caught thirty seconds of the dreadful Big Bang Theory the other day, while flicking through channels. And the characters are walking through their building hallway and see a bike that's been left out by someone. Sheldon (the autistic one, right?) says something like "I'd steal it if to teach them a lesson, if I knew how to ride a bike." The audience roared with laughter. I have genuinely no clue what is supposed to be funny about that.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, Danny Franks said:

Not just social skills, but normal, human skills. I caught thirty seconds of the dreadful Big Bang Theory the other day, while flicking through channels. And the characters are walking through their building hallway and see a bike that's been left out by someone. Sheldon (the autistic one, right?) says something like "I'd steal it if to teach them a lesson, if I knew how to ride a bike." The audience roared with laughter. I have genuinely no clue what is supposed to be funny about that.

Because nerds are unathletic weaklings who can't do anything remotely physical without getting winded! 

*Again with the ragged sigh*

Anyway, moving along, I never hated Ezri Dax as much as everyone else seemed to.

I also preferred Kat to Kim on Power Rangers (Amy Jo Johnson annoys the ever-living crap out of me).

I could take or leave the Invention Exchange on MST3K. I also enjoy Joel, Mike, and Jonah equally.

I will always think Janet was prettier than Chrissy on Three's Company.

A limited series should be just that... LIMITED.  I don't even want speculation on another season of, say, Sharp Objects or Good Omens. They're based on standalone books, and the stories are over. Done. Finis. Hungry for more? Re-watch them. Or read and/or write fanfiction.

If you put a gun to my face, I will take sequels and spinoffs over remakes and reboots any day of the week. 

Mork and Mindy was a cute little show that I preferred over Happy Days.

I think A Different World was vastly superior to The Cosby Show, especially once Denise (an overrated character, IMO) left.

If Vince Gilligan is indeed making a Breaking Bad movie, I will lose all respect for him. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

 To keep this ontopic, I agree that it would have been preferable had Urquel been a rarely seen character (though not as ideal as NEVER seen) like Skippy on Family Ties. However; in my UO I hated how they very quickly turned Skippy from a mere nerd who was Alex's sidekick to a cartoon of someone too dumb to breathe! 

They always do that.  The dumb get dumber and the angry get angrier and the mean get downright viscous.  I hate it.  I'm sure there are series that haven't done that, but it's so rare that I can't think of any right now.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I think A Different World was vastly superior to The Cosby Show, especially once Denise (an overrated character, IMO) left.

I loved and watched both but I did prefer A Different World. I liked Denise but I didn't miss her when she left. Kim and Jaleesa were my favorites.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Camille said:

Flanderization.

I mentioned it on the "Tropes You Hate" page. I hate it when a character's quirk becomes all-consuming. Come to think of it, that happened with Urkel too--he went from merely smart to insane levels of genius.

I don't know if it should be called "Flanderization" anymore, because they did that with ALL the damn characters on that show. And speaking of which, here's a UO I have about The Simpsons:

I don't think Marge stays with Homer because she loves him. She's always nagging at him to change, and yet whenever there are episodes of him improving himself, she always winds up having capital-I issues with him.

No, I think she only stays with him because if she ever did leave, he wouldn't be there for her to blame for all her failed dreams and other issues. She'd finally have to look inside herself and address her own shortcomings of a whiny, narrow minded wet blanket. But as long as she stays with Homer, she can be the perpetual victim forever and thus whenever SHE does something wrong, it's always forgiveable because "poor Marge, poor Marge, she has such a tough life."

Gag me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I loved and watched both but I did prefer A Different World. I liked Denise but I didn't miss her when she left. Kim and Jaleesa were my favorites.

I prefered A Different World but mostly because I preferred the college setting to the family style sitcom. I loved Jaleesa. I loved Freddie too, and of course Dwayne Wayne. I was totally crushing on him back in the day. lol 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/1/2019 at 2:06 PM, kiddo82 said:

I'm starting a petition to retire the phrase "ruin my/your childhood" when referring to remakes et al.  The fact that another version exists doesn't mean something goes into your brain and warps your memories.  The past does not actually change.  I mean, if a television show or movie really did have the power to go back in time and affect the past then we really need to use our powers for something more important than new Ninja Turtles.  Saying it "ruined my childhood" is just weird hyperbole.

I'm okay with hyperbole but if you want to declare war on it...

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I prefered A Different World but mostly because I preferred the college setting to the family style sitcom. I loved Jaleesa. I loved Freddie too, and of course Dwayne Wayne. I was totally crushing on him back in the day. lol 

I liked Dwayne and Freddie, but never really cared for Jaleesa.  Sometimes she's seemed a bit self-righteous, maybe. I did miss Denise when she left.  I also missed Maggie and Millie.  I didn't watch much after the second season, though, because I think that was  just a busy time for me.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, kariyaki said:

There's no way Family Matters would have made it past the first season if it hadn't been for Urkel.

Well, you've certainly picked the most apt thread (Unpopular Opinions) to have shared that POV! 

But then again, I think Lost in Space would have not only been better but also lasted as long if not longer had they not had  Jonathan Harris playing Dr. Smith as a perpetual 'Special Guest Star'! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, kariyaki said:

There's no way Family Matters would have made it past the first season if it hadn't been for Urkel.

I agree that Jaleel White brought something great to the character that made Urkel stand out and made Family Matters different from the typical ABC Family sit com. 

That being said, I think the quality of the show suffered terribly when it became the Urkel show and when Urkel became a caricature of himself and not just a funny, silly neighbor that provided the comedy. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, Katy M said:

feel the same way when people whine and complain and say a show that they used to like has gotten bad and they should cancel it.  Well, just don't watch it anymore.  Which may end up helping your ultimate goal anyway, if you can convince likeminded people to do the same.

Then what would people have to talk about on the internet? ;-)

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

19 hours ago, Blergh said:

But then again, I think Lost in Space would have not only been better but also lasted as long if not longer had they not had  Jonathan Harris playing Dr. Smith as a perpetual 'Special Guest Star'! 

Hard to imagine what the show would even have been without Dr. Smith! He's the key to the plotting since he's the perpetual anti-family character on a family show.  Not surprising that Dr. Smith and the Robot are the best remembered characters.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Hard to imagine what the show would even have been without Dr. Smith! He's the key to the plotting since he's the perpetual anti-family character on a family show.  Not surprising that Dr. Smith and the Robot are the best remembered characters.

Well, the former is one of the 'best remembered' by me but not in a good way.

 However; I think had they actually kept the character of Dr. Maureen Robinson as an intelligent, shrewd scientist, that would have helped. June Lockhart is now 94 and if one sees recent interviews with her, one is struck how incredibly intelligent, clever and humorous she is even into her 10th decade . Hence; I think it would have been a better show had they highlighted the actual personality of Miss Lockhart  with her character as  an integral part of the crew rather than almost immediately reduce her to someone who only got to decide what courses to serve for dinner. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

However; in my UO I hated how they very quickly turned Skippy from a mere nerd who was Alex's sidekick to a cartoon of someone too dumb to breathe! 

Like Mark on Roseanne! Yes, I laughed because the actor was good at both angsty kid from wrong side of the tracks and lovable goof...but why?! I always thought it was funnier when someone who is normally smart does something stupid (on TV and in real life).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

Like Mark on Roseanne! Yes, I laughed because the actor was good at both angsty kid from wrong side of the tracks and lovable goof...but why?! I always thought it was funnier when someone who is normally smart does something stupid (on TV and in real life).

Oh, I agree with you here! It's kind of like when the Professor on Gilligan's Island and Miss Jane Hathaway  on Beverly Hillbillies   would   occasionally do goofy things despite usually being the stuffy, intelligent straight folks of their shows.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/27/2019 at 11:16 PM, Silver Raven said:

Our internet is through our landline phone service.

I get my internet through CentruyLink. They are also the landline service in  my area, though I do not get that (cell only through Verizon).  You should check to see if the provider of cable in your area also internet only.  I was going to do that with Spectrum but the internet is spotty on my road.

Share this post


Link to post

Drag, done for alleged comedy (see Monty Python, Milton Berle, the assholes on a local Toyota dealership commercial, so many others), offends me because it enacts a particularly insulting idea of women as a whole. I will never understand the mindset that finds it hilarious. On the other hand, Kids in the Hall and Dana Carvey were, in my opinion, creating characters who happen to be women and I enjoy them.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, ABay said:

Drag, done for alleged comedy (see Monty Python, Milton Berle, the assholes on a local Toyota dealership commercial, so many others), offends me because it enacts a particularly insulting idea of women as a whole. I will never understand the mindset that finds it hilarious.

I always found it strange in sitcoms when guys would dress up like women to sneak into someplace, 'cause most of the time, it was pretty dang apparent that these were men in drag, yet all the women would totally buy that they were actual women and act all shocked when the inevitable reveal came. I'd just keep wondering how those women could be fooled so easily. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Drag, done for alleged comedy (see Monty Python, Milton Berle, the assholes on a local Toyota dealership commercial, so many others), offends me because it enacts a particularly insulting idea of women as a whole. I will never understand the mindset that finds it hilarious. On the other hand, Kids in the Hall and Dana Carvey were, in my opinion, creating characters who happen to be women and I enjoy them

I remember watching interviews with the Kids in the Hall on DVD, where they talked about the costume department giving them over-the-top, cartoon-y looking dresses and wigs for their female characters, and how they had to turn them down, because they wanted to portray real women, and not caricatures.  So, I agree that they were funnier than, say, Milton Berle.  I can't really speak for Monty Python, since I didn't see much of it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ABay said:

Drag, done for alleged comedy (see Monty Python, Milton Berle, the assholes on a local Toyota dealership commercial, so many others), offends me because it enacts a particularly insulting idea of women as a whole. I will never understand the mindset that finds it hilarious. On the other hand, Kids in the Hall and Dana Carvey were, in my opinion, creating characters who happen to be women and I enjoy them.

I think it was done as a means to show how blind the FOILS of those in drag were supposed to be (and only saw what they wanted to see) . On the female side, Lucille Ball occasionally portrayed the supposed brother of  Lucy Carmichael she called 'Iron Man' Carmichael on The Lucy Show so she could do more vigorous stunts than she could as via her regular female character (though not only did none of the foils get she was a woman dressed up  as a man despite keeping the heavy eye shadow and false eyelashes on the whole time but none of them questioned why MRS. Carmichael's 'brother' would have had her married surname).  The irony was that this was played for laughs yet Lucy managed to appear more convincingly of the opposite gender than Barbra Streisand (who didn't so much as attempt to lower her voice) would in the completely noncomedic title role of Yentl

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I always found it strange in sitcoms when guys would dress up like women to sneak into someplace, 'cause most of the time, it was pretty dang apparent that these were men in drag, yet all the women would totally buy that they were actual women and act all shocked when the inevitable reveal came. I'd just keep wondering how those women could be fooled so easily. 

Not to mention all the times when someone--mainly Lucy--might put on a wig and successfully fool her own husband, haha!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

They had an entire show about that in the 70s/80s.

Bosom Buddies? With Tom Hanks? I loved that show. Sure, it was painfully obvious it was two men in drag, and yes the other characters looked like morons for not knowing Buffy and Hildi weren't men disgusted as women to get cheap housing in NYC (they found a place they could afford, but it was a women's only complex). I don't so much mind the drag trope if the show is funny. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/26/2019 at 9:34 PM, kiddo82 said:

I have a weird relationship with streaming.  It's not that I don't like binge watching (I was doing that before there was a term for it) but there is a simple pleasure in having to wait for something as innocent as a TV show to come back in a week.  It makes it more special.  In college Thursdays were the best days because roommie and I could watch three, count 'em THREE!!, episodes of Friends in one whole day.  (twice in syndication on the WB and then the new one on NBC).  We were legitimately excited about that fact.  Now I can just flip on Netflix and watch three episodes while I get ready for work in the morning.  I think this is part of the reason why, with a few exceptions, I haven't got into many originals on the streaming platforms.  Having every episode at a flick of my finger is more convenient but less exciting because it lacks that anticipation element.  

In college we used to have "Friends-ER" night. A bunch of friends would gather at our apartment and bring snacks. Those shows were a big, big deal back then and the anticipation of a new episode always made it more exciting. Now it feels like appointment TV has truly died. I cannot think of a show now that I'd make sure I was home for to watch live, invite people over for, have snacks ready for. Game of Thrones may have been the last show for this. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size