Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think that's already happening. I have cable with HBO and Showtime, then Netflix and Hulu. That's it for me. 

Plus you factor in internet from another company.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4
(edited)

I have a weird relationship with streaming.  It's not that I don't like binge watching (I was doing that before there was a term for it) but there is a simple pleasure in having to wait for something as innocent as a TV show to come back in a week.  It makes it more special.  In college Thursdays were the best days because roommie and I could watch three, count 'em THREE!!, episodes of Friends in one whole day.  (twice in syndication on the WB and then the new one on NBC).  We were legitimately excited about that fact.  Now I can just flip on Netflix and watch three episodes while I get ready for work in the morning.  I think this is part of the reason why, with a few exceptions, I haven't got into many originals on the streaming platforms.  Having every episode at a flick of my finger is more convenient but less exciting because it lacks that anticipation element.  

I also think, even in this day and age, there is still a place for syndication.  Who among us hasn't rekindled a love with an old favorite because it just happened to be on while we were channel surfing?  Or hasn't stumbled upon something he or she might never have purposely sought out?  Who hasn't lost the better part of a Sunday to friggin 6 hours of SVU before prying him/herself off the couch?  (anyone?  Okay, maybe that last one is just me).  But that's the beauty of TV that you don't have to sift through.  It just happens to be there at the right time.

Edited by kiddo82
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
38 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

I have a weird relationship with streaming.  It's not that I don't like binge watching (I was doing that before there was a term for it) but there is a simple pleasure in having to wait for something as innocent as a TV show to come back in a week.  It makes it more special.  In college Thursdays were the best days because roommie and I could watch three, count 'em THREE!!, episodes of Friends in one whole day.  (twice in syndication on the WB and then the new one on NBC).  We were legitimately excited about that fact.  Now I can just flip on Netflix and watch three episodes while I get ready for work in the morning.  I think this is part of the reason why, with a few exceptions, I haven't got into many originals on the streaming platforms.  Having every episode at a flick of my finger is more convenient but less exciting because it lacks that anticipation element.  

I also think, even in this day and age, there is still a place for syndication.  Who among us hasn't rekindled a love with an old favorite because it just happened to be on while we were channel surfing?  Or hasn't stumbled upon something he or she might never have purposely sought out?  Who hasn't lost the better part of a Sunday to friggin 6 hours of SVU before prying him/herself off the couch?  (anyone?  Okay, maybe that last one is just me).  But that's the beauty of TV that you don't have to sift through.  It just happens to be there at the right time.

I do Direct TV Now because I prefer "live" tv as well. For the most part it works great with most networks being on it. The only show I have to watch a couple of days later is Whose Line is it Anyway on the CW. Everything else I watch when it airs regularly.

• Love 2

I still watch regular TV more than I use all the other shit a pay for and often forget I even have. I can't commit to getting rid of normal cable because I am a "flipper"--the thought of doing the search for something to watch makes me crazy and neurotic. On the other hand, when I do get the urge for a binge, I go in wholeheartedly ("Buffy over the course of two weeks" wholeheartedly), so I do like the streaming too.

• Love 10
(edited)
7 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Agreed on all of this. I only ever really binge-watch if I'm watching a marathon/DVD set of a series that isn't current, or if it's a new show I really wanted to see that's released its entire season online at once. 

Otherwise, I'm more than happy to keep watching stuff on an actual TV set when possible, and I'm fine with the "new episode each week" setup, too. I think that setup makes it easier for people to talk about TV shows, too, because it's quicker to just catch up with the most recent episode of a show than it is to try and watch an entire season in a short amount of time in order to join the conversation (provided one hasn't let a season's worth of episodes pile up on their DVR for whatever reason, that is :p). I like having that balance between the newer and older ways of watching shows. 

And yes to syndication, too. I love finding channels that show reruns of old shows, especially if I haven't yet gotten the DVDs of them, or if it's a show I haven't seen since I was a kid. I love having DVDs, too. Streaming services don't hold on to shows forever, so it's nice to have that physical copy on hand to watch whenever I want. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And yes to syndication, too. I love finding channels that show reruns of old shows, especially if I haven't yet gotten the DVDs of them, or if it's a show I haven't seen since I was a kid.

Same. OR when, due to whatever music/copyright issues, those shows AREN'T available on dvds! Murphy Brown, Beverly Hills, 90210, Quantum Leap, I'm looking at you!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Same. OR when, due to whatever music/copyright issues, those shows AREN'T available on dvds! Murphy Brown, Beverly Hills, 90210, Quantum Leap, I'm looking at you!

Cold Case. That's probably the biggest one for music issues that has yet to see the light of day in a DVD set. I still have all the episodes taped from original airings/syndicated runs-- well, most of them. I may have slacked off in the last two seasons.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Cold Case. That's probably the biggest one for music issues that has yet to see the light of day in a DVD set. I still have all the episodes taped from original airings/syndicated runs-- well, most of them. I may have slacked off in the last two seasons.

Yes! I knew I was forgetting another show I watched and loved!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Actually, you brought up an somewhat different UO for me re that show: I often thought it a bit lame that,to recall the time of the crimes, they'd play one of Casey Kasem's Top Ten songs from that year when oftentimes the victims/perps were of either of an older age or demographic of a 'typical' fan of the Top Ten. It's not that I (as a viewer) wasn't entertained by hearing the songs but I just thought they didn't really fit the persons- much less the events leading up  to the  crimes depicted.

The copyright issues of WKRP  over the music rights were already well-known by the time Cold Case debuted so I truly believe the latter PTB somewhat needlessly shot themselves in the their collective feet via including Top Ten material for the original broadcast! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Actually, you brought up an somewhat different UO for me re that show: I often thought it a bit lame that,to recall the time of the crimes, they'd play one of Casey Kasem's Top Ten songs from that year when oftentimes the victims/perps were of either of an older age or demographic of a 'typical' fan of the Top Ten. It's not that I (as a viewer) wasn't entertained by hearing the songs but I just thought they didn't really fit the persons- much less the events leading up  to the  crimes depicted.

A similar--yet totally different-- example of this was on an episode of Psych. It was Gus and Shawn's 13 year high school reunion (not 10--Thirteen). They graduated HS in 1995, and the reunion took place in 2008. But the reunion played all '80s music. In one scene of the episode, Shawn performs the entire dance scene from "Breakfast Club."

The showrunner and writers (or maybe the director) chose '80s music because it was the music of their high school years. I thought it was great -- I also went to high school in the '80s.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

"The Drew Carey Show" is another example of that. So far only the first season's been released on DVD, and Carey's said music issues are the reason why none of the others have. Thank goodness for the Laff channel. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 7:33 AM, MissAlmond said:

My unpopular opinion is soon (and very soon) being able to watch programs on all these streaming services popping up will cost as much as, if not more, than cable packages of old.  

We cut our cable a couple of years ago and, while I don't regret it, I do think we are now paying more for streaming.  That includes Hulu Live, Netflix, Amazon (although we had that long before the streaming days and I think that the free shipping makes up for it), HBO, CBS All Access, and a few smaller packages like BritBox.

However, I'm okay with it--because I think that the original programming on the streaming services is far above broadcast.  That makes the price worth it for me.

Edited by HazelEyes4325

I think music rights are what's keeping China Beach and Ed from getting released. I taped every episode of China Beach back in the day and I still have them but I sure would like to see Ed again.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, festivus said:

I think music rights are what's keeping China Beach and Ed from getting released. I taped every episode of China Beach back in the day and I still have them but I sure would like to see Ed again.

China Beach actually was released! All 4 seasons. I have the first two but for some reason didn't get the last two. I wish Homefront would finally get released or was at least streaming somewhere. I too would love to see Ed again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, mishy said:

China Beach actually was released! All 4 seasons. I have the first two but for some reason didn't get the last two. I wish Homefront would finally get released or was at least streaming somewhere. I too would love to see Ed again.

Yeah I bought some DVDs several years ago but I think they were not able to use all the original music. I'll look it up later and see what the deal with that was.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, festivus said:

Yeah I bought some DVDs several years ago but I think they were not able to use all the original music. I'll look it up later and see what the deal with that was.

I'm pretty sure almost every song from the original run is there. 

17 minutes ago, mishy said:

I'm pretty sure almost every song from the original run is there. 

Yeah I think so. I think I read that they got 95% of the original music. I guess my UO is that it bothers me if it's not exactly the way it aired. I know I should just shut up and be happy that it got put out at all! (Still glad that I kept my VHS copies. I should get those out and watch so I can laugh at all the old commercials)

Here's an article I did find and it mentions Ed in it. Doesn't look promising ever getting that one. The article was four years ago but I'm not sure if Ed was popular enough for anyone to try and do it. I don't even want to look around anymore so I don't get my hopes up.

https://www.vox.com/2014/11/3/7145231/shows-not-on-dvd-music-rights-wonder-years-wkrp

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

The copyright issues of WKRP  over the music rights were already well-known by the time Cold Case debuted so I truly believe the latter PTB somewhat needlessly shot themselves in the their collective feet via including Top Ten material for the original broadcast! 

Somewhat related. I still get tickets if everyone I watch one of my Married with Children DVD's and I don't hear Frank Sinatra opening up the show.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/26/2019 at 11:03 AM, MissAlmond said:

By "unpopular" I meant many believe cord cutting is less expensive than cable packaging.  Wasn't that supposed to be the great benefit of doing so?  I feel soon it will prove otherwise thus being an "unpopular" -or IOW contrarian -opinion.  

I remember speculating about this a few years back, and it really was unpopular! I wouldn't be surprised if there's a flip and the traditional cable/internet bundle ends up cheaper than multiple streaming subscriptions.  ETA: Especially with the old-guard networks like CBS and NBC with their own subscription services.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Our internet is through our landline phone service.

I haven't had a landline phone service in over 10 years. I have At&T cellular and Century Link for internet. I still have Dish much to AT&Ts chagrin as they would love to have me get Direct TV then I would be 100% AT&T. But I am a creature of habit and am happy so far with Dish so won't change. I do have Amazon Prime but have only watched a few shows there. I long ago cancelled Netflix and now with their "leanings" I would never resubscribe.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

If you cut the cord abs get all these services, where do you get your internet? My internet is through my cable package. 

Basically you have to insist that you only want Internet, whether it's AT&T or Comcast or some other provider, because they will keep saying things like, "and you can save $$ if you bundle it with cable," but in reality, it is always less per month to just get the Internet. 

I have my cell phone and Internet "bundled" through AT&T, which gives me a small discount.

• Love 1

Does no one else share streaming services? My stepmom pays for Netflix, I pay for Amazon Prime, and my mom pays for cable so I use her sign in to watch cable shows online.

I also like watching shows week to week. I thought that was an unpopular opinion, but many here seem to share that opinion. And not all streaming services release the whole season at once. Hulu releases episodes on a weekly schedule. These streaming channels are becoming more and more like regular channels. 

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, ganesh said:

If you cut the cord abs get all these services, where do you get your internet?

From any of the various internet service provider options in your area (limited though they may be in some areas due to deregulation).  You may well have to negotiate down to a rate someone who'll "bundle" their ISP with phone and/or TV will be offered right off the bat, but it's certainly not a situation where ditching cable/satellite TV means there are no feasible internet options.

(I have satellite TV [separate from my internet], and don't imagine cutting the cord any time soon, given what I watch, but fear of losing affordable internet access is not a factor.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I also like watching shows week to week. I thought that was an unpopular opinion, but many here seem to share that opinion.

Binging the whole season (of whatever show) in 1 seating is bad for your health, not to mention relationships.

Sadly a lot of people at work disagree 😞

• Love 5
1 minute ago, DarkRaichu said:

Binging the whole season (of whatever show) in 1 seating is bad for your health, not to mention relationships.

Sadly a lot of people at work disagree 😞

I'll watch one, or maybe two episodes of something a day.  That's enough of any one thing.  I don't see how anyone can binge a whole season of something in a day.  Even if it's a 30 minutes (22 without commercials) show that's still over 8 hours.  That's a whole day of work. Or a whole night of sleep.  Do something better with your free time.

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't have a lot a free time (leave the house at 7:45 am, get home at 7 pm, make dinner, blah-blah, cat boxes, freelance writing work, blah, weekends of boring errands that I can't get done on my semi-existent lunch breaks, etc.) so when I do have time, I tend to do whatever I want; sometimes it's bingeing. No worse for my health than sitting at a desk reading and editing 9 hours a day--and at least I can get up and roam about if I want to, haha! As for relationships, I have a musician; he loves a night on a couch when he can get one.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 16

On my own I *usually don't like binge watching more than 3 episodes max of something at a time. But there are some shows I watch with my son and we've been known to watch 8 episodes in a day! I consider that a fine use of my time.

*I binge watched 4 seasons of Schitt's Creek in 3 and a half days. In my defense it was before my surgery and could do literally nothing else but sit on the couch! I also did that Bodyguard show in one day. (Read a lot of fanfic in that time too 😸)

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, festivus said:

On my own I *usually don't like binge watching more than 3 episodes max of something at a time. But there are some shows I watch with my son and we've been known to watch 8 episodes in a day! I consider that a fine use of my time.

*I binge watched 4 seasons of Schitt's Creek in 3 and a half days. In my defense it was before my surgery and could do literally nothing else but sit on the couch! I also did that Bodyguard show in one day. (Read a lot of fanfic in that time too 😸)

The year I was on chemo and having surgeries I may have binged series, but I have no memory of what I did that year (although according to work products and thank you notes, I did function pretty well); I'm not sure if TV watching counts if you have zero memory of it.

• Love 2

Last show I watched from beginning to end was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Prime.  It took a couple of weeks to watch 64x 25 minutes episodes since I could only watch 3-4 episodes per night.

I am definitely a lightweight 😄

(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Hee.
So, define "limited series." More or less than 10 eps if you're going to watch it on a weekend?

Yes, 8-12 episodes. If it's English-language I'm not looking at the screen the entire time. If it's anything other than English, I am because I have to read the subtitles. 

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I haven't had a landline phone service in over 10 years. I have At&T cellular and Century Link for internet. I still have Dish much to AT&Ts chagrin as they would love to have me get Direct TV then I would be 100% AT&T. But I am a creature of habit and am happy so far with Dish so won't change. I do have Amazon Prime but have only watched a few shows there. I long ago cancelled Netflix and now with their "leanings" I would never resubscribe.

My mother is 90 and virtually blind.  She can't handle cell phones.  🙂

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DarkRaichu said:

Last show I watched from beginning to end was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Prime.  It took a couple of weeks to watch 64x 25 minutes episodes since I could only watch 3-4 episodes per night.

I am definitely a lightweight 😄

I'm the same way.  I like to watch non-American crime shows on Prime and Britbox,  but at most I can watch three, and then I'm done for that day.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Last show I watched from beginning to end was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Prime. 

Holy shit, that's on Prime? I could watch Mustang laying it into Lust like 40 billion times. I could not watch "do you want to play?" ever again and it still haunts me. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

Does no one else share streaming services? My stepmom pays for Netflix, I pay for Amazon Prime, and my mom pays for cable so I use her sign in to watch cable shows online

Today, after reading this, I noticed how easy it would be for me to attach a cable splitter to my neighbor's Comcast cable outside my window — but we're not that close.

A daughter gave me access to her Netflix for Mother's Day.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am not a binge watching person at all.    I realize that current streaming series are designed to be watched all at once, but that's not for me.  If I enjoy the series I like having the time to think  about each episode before I see the next one.  

The more complicated and emotionally involving the series, the less I want to see it all at once.  I wouldn't want to watch all 15 hours of Berlin Alexanderplatz all at once - I'd be a wreck.  Also Mr Rat and I are big fans of old movie serials, which have the opposite problem - watching them all at once underlines how slowly the plot tends to advance, even when they don't cheat on the cliffhanger endings.  Watching a few episodes at a time we can enjoy them for what they are without getting impatient.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
spelling etc.
  • Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I will raise that UO by adding that seasons 5-7 are better than 1-4.

And I love Spike.

1. I actually think 2/3 are the best but pop over to the Buffy forum for ENDLESS debate.  

2. Ditto!

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:52 AM, kiddo82 said:

Buffy UO's? 

1. I don't hate season 6 and actually have a strange affinity for it. 

1a.  Gellar and Marsters have chemistry for days and although it wasn't handled well, I don't blame the writers for one second for going there with Buffy and Spike.

2. Season 4 is by far my least favorite.  

3. Whiny, twitchy, needy Willow is my least favorite character. By a lot.

3a. I liked Tara as a character infinitely more after she and Willow broke up and wish we had more of that Tara

4. I don't disagree with any complaint anyone has about Anya being a mass murderer but I simply don't care.  She cracks me up and her bunny aversion is never not funny.

5.  Season 1, while not bad, is a chore to rewatch secondary to all the clunky exposition and the episodes...move....so......slowly

Damn.  Now I wanna do a full on rewatch.  It's been a minute.

1. Individually s6 had some great eps but was overall depressing. SMG apparently didn't care for Spuffy although they were interesting

2. Agreed although again some standout single eps.

3. That's a BOLD statement! Pop along to the Buffy forum if you want a fight! But loved Tara and actually loved the way she grew when she and Willow split. 

4. Agreed but it was Anyanka who was the murderer, not Anya. 

5. Early days. 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I just did a complete rewatch a couple weeks ago. And now that it's over (again), I am left feeling empty!

Hopefully the reboot is coming?

• Love 3

Okay, here goes. Actually the great romance in the Xenaverse is Xexer! 

1. It's Joxer who comes with Xena to her wedding (The Xena Scrolls) and sadly gives away the bride, when he visits her the night before THE time for them to consummate their attraction.  

2. When Xena thinks Gabby is dead she deliberately seeks out Joxer to accompany her and indeed does that in other eps like 'Return of Callisto' too.  

3. In 'Lyre, Lyre...' Xena tells a Gabby jealous over Joxer's Amazon admirer that if she doesn't want Joxer she should free him other for other girls. In fact when Xena is pregnant Joxer very much acts as a husband figure to her, especially in Punchlines.  

4. Rather than marry a Gabby lookalike Joxer ends up marrying a Xena lookalike, Meg. 

5. When they are reincarnated in the present day Xena and Joxer's souls have actually hooked up as boyfriend and girlfriend

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm starting a petition to retire the phrase "ruin my/your childhood" when referring to remakes et al.  The fact that another version exists doesn't mean something goes into your brain and warps your memories.  The past does not actually change.  I mean, if a television show or movie really did have the power to go back in time and affect the past then we really need to use our powers for something more important than new Ninja Turtles.  Saying it "ruined my childhood" is just weird hyperbole.

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
6 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I'm starting a petition to retire the phrase "ruin my/your childhood" when referring to remakes et al.  The fact that another version exists doesn't mean something goes into your brain and warps your memories.  The past does not actually change.  I mean, if a television show or movie really did have the power to go back in time and affect the past then we really need to use our powers for something more important than new Ninja Turtles.  Saying it "ruined my childhood" is just weird hyperbole.

Plus, hopefully the largest part of your childhood wasn't TV and movies.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

They all say that is a weird hyperbole or "you invest too much on a show" until the TPTB start remaking TV shows / movies they love and/or grow up with 😄 😄 😄

• Love 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

They all say that is a weird hyperbole or "you invest too much on a show" until the TPTB start remaking TV shows / movies they love and/or grow up with 😄 😄 😄

I just don't watch the shows.  I loved MacGyver.  Loved loved loved it.  I watched one episode of the new one, threw something at the TV (OK not really) and haven't watched an episode since.  But its mere existence isn't really affecting my life, or MacGyver memories, at all.

I feel the same way when people whine and complain and say a show that they used to like has gotten bad and they should cancel it.  Well, just don't watch it anymore.  Which may end up helping your ultimate goal anyway, if you can convince likeminded people to do the same.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 15