Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

On 3/13/2018 at 7:59 PM, preteacher said:

Coming out of lurkdom to say the Friendly Giant was one of my favourites

I don't know the background of this show at all, or why it's relevant to Canucks, but it was shown on the Madison, Wisconsin PBS channel in the 60's.  It and Captain Kangaroo were the only kids shows I watched (maybe the only ones there were?) because my mom didn't let us watch cartoons.

• Love 1

OK, here's a Xena UO: I very much disliked how the show, fans,etc. expected Xena to instantly forgive Gabrielle for having inadvertently helped in having Xena's  child KILLED and that Xena was barely allowed to mourn her own son much less not be considered a bad person because she didn't  try to become besties  again with Gabrielle straight away!  Contrary to popular belief, all of Gabby's ' I'm sorrys' could not POSSIBLY make up for the loss of a child and I hated how everyone was expected to wring their hands and cringe at the thought that Xena wouldn't be Gabby's pal any more rather than just accept that the loss of a child was simply too much for a once good friendship to ever be revived.

Edited by Blergh
covering s
  • Love 5

I was going through another website about what tv shows were likely to be renewed and such.  And I realized how few of them I actually watch.  Other than my political comedy shows, most of the shows I watch are on cable channels (syfy, usa, tnt, amc) or netflix.  There's probably less than a dozen shows I watch on the network channels (Survivor, TAR, TBBT, Marvel Agents of Shield, Supernatural, Orville, The Good Place, The Gifted and Xfiles).  I may watch some shows if my daughter is watching (OUAT, Blackish, Fresh of the Boat), but if i miss them, no big deal.  I used to DVR and watch more shows, but since we cut the cord and do streaming only, I found I have little interest in watching some prior shows.  I may give Timeless another try and I suppose eventually I'll catch up on This is Us, but both are low priority, and I barely have time to keep up with the shows I regularly watch.  I really appreciate shorter seasons, so I can watch a larger variety of shows.

• Love 2
On 3/25/2018 at 5:31 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m going to step in and defend myself for my full on hate for Ziva. Which had nothing to do with her being competent at her job, but that skills that other agents had before she came on the show, suddenly didn’t have them because Ziva had them all; that she got Gibbs’s trust from day one without earning it;

GIbbs trusted her from the beginning because she shot and killed her own brother to save Gibbs' life.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No he trusted her before she shot and killed Ari.

He was certainly willing to work with her and trust her in the professional capacity, but that isn't unique to Ziva. Personal loyalty and deep trust isn't something Gibbs ever just handed over (I don't watch the show anymore so maybe this has changed), true, but he was constantly untrusting and skeptical of everyone. I can't think of anything he said or did that indicated he had an unusual amount of trust in Ziva in that two-parter?

8 hours ago, slf said:

GIbbs trusted her from the beginning because she shot and killed her own brother to save Gibbs' life.

Yes, and a few seasons later we found out that her original mission from Mossad had been to take out Ari because he’d gone rogue and maybe if she had done that when she was supposed to, then maybe he wouldn’t have had a chance to kill Kate. 

Ziva lied to Gibbs for years and then was accepted back on the team with barely an apology. 

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Yes, and a few seasons later we found out that her original mission from Mossad had been to take out Ari because he’d gone rogue and maybe if she had done that when she was supposed to, then maybe he wouldn’t have had a chance to kill Kate. 

Ziva lied to Gibbs for years and then was accepted back on the team with barely an apology. 

Gibbs didn't know any of that at the time so it's still not odd to me that he would trust her. Also, I'm not faulting Ziva because she wasn't able to kill her own brother in a timely enough manner. Frankly, it was fucked up and stupid that she was the one sent to kill him.

Gibbs had a soft spot for daughters, especially the ones treated badly by their own fathers. Considering the situation Ziva was in I guess I just never found it shocking that Gibbs didn't require some huge apology or show of penance from her. 

Edited by slf
was and wasn't mean two different things
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 3/25/2018 at 10:18 PM, biakbiak said:

Right but they acknowledge it with the time and date stamps before each part.

And in my house, if your birthday shows up on the "chung chung" screen, you win!

they've created a weird universe where lab techs carry guns, interview suspects,

I'm usually pretty chill about suspending disbelief for TV shows, but this is my apparently my line. I love forensic sciences and crime-scene investigation so much that I just can't do this! Plus, there's plenty of other material on these subjects for me to geek out over.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8

I tried watching an entire episode of  "Drop the Mic" which was spun off from the segment on James Corden's "Late Late Show." It is so bad. The episode I saw featured Pentatonix vs. Bell Biv Devoe and Padma Lakshmi vs. Randy Jackson. The "insult humor" the participants throw at each other during is vile and disgusting. It's like one of those shows where they roast people set to rap that's directed at younger people. I'm no prude by a long shot and I found what was being said disgusting. I'm just glad I didn't try to watch the episode that's listed on IMDB as the one that aired previously to the one I saw when they aired in order last year since Chrissy Metz was on it.

Big Moment speeches are never inspiring or heart-warming or badass. I've rolled my eyes through almost every single one, whether it was on Game of Thrones or a sports shows (which are particularly bad about them; like, it's a football game you're not shipping off to war, dial it down*).

*The one exception being the coach's "inspirational" speech before a lacrosse game on Teen Wolf which was the President's speech from Independence Day. I got a chuckle out of that.

Edited by slf
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, 2727 said:

I like laugh tracks/live audiences. Sitcoms are weird and off-putting to me without them.

Yes, and laugh tracks rarely annoy me to the point that I feel the need to complain about them.

• Love 10

OK, I've NEVER liked Family Feud  -and consider the late Richard Dawson to have been the least unlikable of all its hosts (and note that I say least unlikable as, IMO, none of them have been  particularly likable).

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, I've NEVER liked Family Feud  -and consider the late Richard Dawson to have been the least unlikable of all its hosts (and note that I say least unlikable as, IMO, none of them have been  particularly likable).

My mother never liked him.  She said he gave her the creeps--especially when he had to lean in and kiss all the women (even if it was only on the cheek).

• Love 6
Just now, Shannon L. said:

My mother never liked him.  She said he gave her the creeps--especially when he had to lean in and kiss all the women (even if it was only on the cheek).

That's what my Mom always said about him too. After years of watching old episodes of Match Game on GSN the women on there would willingly kiss him even when he looked like he was hoping they wouldn't. Him kissing women on FF would ick me out when watching episodes from that time on GSN. Now all they show on that channel is the Steve Harvey version at night every night for hours on end. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I don't understand the concept of kissing strangers. It's icky.  And sometimes he would kiss them on the lips.  Yuck.  But, other than that, I liked him just fine.  And, since I wasn't there to be kissed, it didn't really bother me all that much.

36 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I don't know if I'm weird, but I liked Ray Combs and Richard Karn.  But, to be fair, I may have only liked Richard Karn because I like Al. Ray Combs always seemed like he was having fun, though, and I don't recall him making any inappropriate comments.  (Apparently he wasn't having as much fun as I thought.  RIP)

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know if I'm weird, but I liked Ray Combs and Richard Karn.  But, to be fair, I may have only liked Richard Karn because I like Al. Ray Combs always seemed like he was having fun, though, and I don't recall him making any inappropriate comments.  (Apparently he wasn't having as much fun as I thought.  RIP)

Ray Combs was my favorite, too. When I was in middle school, some of the more annoying boys would always answer the teachers' questions with "Show me *insert answer*!" in Combs' style.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't understand the concept of kissing strangers. It's icky.  And sometimes he would kiss them on the lips.  Yuck.  But, other than that, I liked him just fine.  And, since I wasn't there to be kissed, it didn't really bother me all that much.

I loved Richard Karn for the same reason. I loved Al.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, Jaded said:

I tried watching an entire episode of  "Drop the Mic" which was spun off from the segment on James Corden's "Late Late Show." It is so bad. The episode I saw featured Pentatonix vs. Bell Biv Devoe and Padma Lakshmi vs. Randy Jackson. The "insult humor" the participants throw at each other during is vile and disgusting. It's like one of those shows where they roast people set to rap that's directed at younger people. I'm no prude by a long shot and I found what was being said disgusting. I'm just glad I didn't try to watch the episode that's listed on IMDB as the one that aired previously to the one I saw when they aired in order last year since Chrissy Metz was on it.

Just the commercials that seem to run every 5 minutes on TBS often have me feeling contact embarrassment for the celebrities who clearly have no understanding of the cadence of rap and are often trying to rhyme two words that just don't.  I can't imagine actually trying to sit through an entire episode of that.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Just the commercials that seem to run every 5 minutes on TBS often have me feeling contact embarrassment for the celebrities who clearly have no understanding of the cadence of rap and are often trying to rhyme two words that just don't.  I can't imagine actually trying to sit through an entire episode of that.

It was on during a time when not much else was. I thought I'd give an entire episode a chance so I could stand behind my dislike for it. Previously I had only seen a few minutes of a different episode.

I like Steve Harvey in FF.  He brings a panacheand really sells the comedy IMHO.  He can say so much with a look, that few hosts can.  I don’t care if he’s a ditches or not, he’s a fellow Clevelander and I’m not looking to work for or date him, just enjoy him on tv.  I dislike the screaming and carrying on the families do, but that’s not his fault.

Though I do think Ray Coombes was the best host for the show.

• Love 2

My highly unpopular opinion is that I don't think Call the Midwife has declined in quality, has problems with continuity, or is somehow lacking since leaving behind the books.  (Some of the stories in the books are highly suspect in their extreme detail, imo.)  I don't think they've ruined Trixie or that Chummy was irreplaceable or that Shelagh and/or Dr. Turner are whiny, condescending or in any way unpleasant.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

My highly unpopular opinion is that I don't think Call the Midwife has declined in quality, has problems with continuity, or is somehow lacking since leaving behind the books.  (Some of the stories in the books are highly suspect in their extreme detail, imo.)  I don't think they've ruined Trixie or that Chummy was irreplaceable or that Shelagh and/or Dr. Turner are whiny, condescending or in any way unpleasant.

Please come sit next to me, my friend!

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't miss Chummy or Trixie either and I like Shelagh and Dr Turner.  I'm also glad that Tom and Barbara are back.

My only unpopular opinion about the show is that I wish they'd ship Sister Monica Joan to the Mother House and off the show. 

• Love 1
Just now, Ohwell said:

I don't miss Chummy or Trixie either and I like Shelagh and Dr Turner.  I'm also glad that Tom and Barbara are back.

My only unpopular opinion about the show is that I wish they'd ship Sister Monica Joan to the Mother House and off the show. 

I like Sister Monica Joan, but I wouldn't disagree that it's probably time for her to be retired to the Mother House.  She's starting to need more care and attention than is really practicable for Nonnatus House.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I am loving Champions. So much. So much. Everyone is just so darling. I have no problem with the very openly gay son.

I really like it too. I don't think it's doing well in the ratings though.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I am loving Champions. So much. So much. Everyone is just so darling. I have no problem with the very openly gay son.

I wouldn't mind him being very openly gay, but I hate that he's an obnoxious brat.

• Love 2

I do not find him particularly bratty. He is living with a man who was not part of his life until his late teens. There have been plenty of teen shows where their characters would react a lot more negatively. I find him quite understanding. He is a diva, no doubt, but I have seen way worse characters.

This one hasn't proven to be an unpopular opinion among those I know who watched it, but glancing at the show's threads, it's sure unpopular there:  I am not surprised Everything Sucks! was canceled after its first season; I don't know what kind of viewership numbers Netflix's business model would have deemed necessary to continue on with it, but I'm not surprised it didn't get it, because despite some strong moments, it was generally pretty blah. 

It started out decently, petered out a bit, strengthened for a promising episode or two, and then faded again.  The adult characters weren't all that interesting, and Kate was the only one of the teen characters who was the complete package:  well-developed, well-acted, and interesting to watch.  Luke was played be a good young actor, but was an annoying character, an entitled little shit I kept wanting to punch.  His friends were caricatures, not characters.  And don't get me started on the drama club kids; Emaline got better in the second half, in the beginning watching her and the boyfriend was like watching an unintentional parody.

Not tv, but it's been everywhere and I have to say it.    I am not all that impressed with Beyonce.   Yes, she can sing, yes she can dance.   But she is not the greatest at those things EVA.   Renaming Coachella Beycella was just too much (then they did it when Ariana Grande played, so now everyone who likes an act at Coachella will call it Xchella like Xgating everything).   

I feel better now.

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Not tv, but it's been everywhere and I have to say it.    I am not all that impressed with Beyonce.   Yes, she can sing, yes she can dance.   But she is not the greatest at those things EVA.   Renaming Coachella Beycella was just too much (then they did it when Ariana Grande played, so now everyone who likes an act at Coachella will call it Xchella like Xgating everything).   

I feel better now.

So much this. Loved her in Destiny's Child. But these days... I avoid anything Beyonce like the plague. Can't stand her. Her ego and arrogance get on my nerves. She's good at what she does singing and dancing wise, but like what you mentioned, she isn't the greatest EVER.

• Love 7

I agree with the Beyonce comments so far. Here's one to keep it in the TV arena. That Grammy performance when she was majorly pregnant made me laugh my ass off. 

• Love 6
Just now, Jaded said:

I agree with the Beyonce comments so far. Here's one to keep it in the TV arena. That Grammy performance when she was majorly pregnant made me laugh my ass off. 

Yea I saw pics from that one and cringed.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

So much this. Loved her in Destiny's Child. But these days... I avoid anything Beyonce like the plague. Can't stand her. Her ego and arrogance get on my nerves. She's good at what she does singing and dancing wise, but like what you mentioned, she isn't the greatest EVER.

I don't even think she's that good a singer without all those technical enhancements. 

• Love 10

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but it's one I have, so I'll give it a try: a lot of people remember NBC's hit daily serial Another World for two of its openings over the years-- the Kaleidoscope Wreath of the late 60s and 70s, and the Cursive Writing opening of the late 80s and 90s (the latter one with the incredibly sappy [at least IMO] title track by Crystal Gayle and Gary Morris); those two openings are what many AW fans identify that serial by, and I think they are the most loved. I, on the other hand (albeit I never saw that much of AW), personally feel that AW's best opening was neither of those; rather, it was this one from 1981-87, where the familiar wreath of interlocking rings became a tunnel, which led into the faces of a man and woman against the light, and those faces subsequently gave way to the AW title swinging in like the hinges on a door.

Here is that opening, from a 1984 broadcast (you can see why I think this one is my favorite):

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

This one hasn't proven to be an unpopular opinion among those I know who watched it, but glancing at the show's threads, it's sure unpopular there:  I am not surprised Everything Sucks! was canceled after its first season; I don't know what kind of viewership numbers Netflix's business model would have deemed necessary to continue on with it, but I'm not surprised it didn't get it, because despite some strong moments, it was generally pretty blah. 

Yeah, I'm not surprised it was canceled. I watched 4 or 5 episodes and I liked it okay but never finished watching the show. The only part I found interesting were the dates the mom and the principal went on, but that's not enough for me to finish watching. I did like the kid playing Luke, hope he gets work on a better show.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but it's one I have, so I'll give it a try: a lot of people remember NBC's hit daily serial Another World for two of its openings over the years-- the Kaleidoscope Wreath of the late 60s and 70s, and the Cursive Writing opening of the late 80s and 90s (the latter one with the incredibly sappy [at least IMO] title track by Crystal Gayle and Gary Morris); those two openings are what many AW fans identify that serial by, and I think they are the most loved. I, on the other hand (albeit I never saw that much of AW), personally feel that AW's best opening was neither of those; rather, it was this one from 1981-87, where the familiar wreath of interlocking rings became a tunnel, which led into the faces of a man and woman against the light, and those faces subsequently gave way to the AW title swinging in like the hinges on a door.

Here is that opening, from a 1984 broadcast (you can see why I think this one is my favorite):

That reminds me of this:

It reminds me of the Quantum Leap time travel effects!

• Love 2