Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I don't think The Fosters has suddenly become so terrible and almost unwatchable. Yes, I think the writers have an unfortunate tendency to throw every hot button issue under the sun at the characters, and the show could do with a bit more breathing room in that respect. But damn, people are acting like it's now on the level of Glee or Heroes and I just don't agree at all.

• Love 1
(edited)

A very unpopular Gilmore Girls opinion: I honestly have no idea when I started disliking the very widely loved Luke, but somehow I do. I really, really don't want to, but he just possesses a lot of traits I happen to heartily dislike (temperamental, relentlessly negative, lacking any interests and enthusiasms of his own while often squashing others' joy, moody, bitter, jealous, boring, a 'poor communicator' to the point of dishonesty...etc.!) And, as the series wore on, the traits in him that I did like and admire seemed to fade. (Let me be crystal clear that Lorelai is no paragon of perfection herself, by the way, and I certainly don't blame Luke for all of their issues!) More to the point, though, I just don't think he and Lorelai did or could make each other happy, and Luke realizing that at the beginning of S7 was, in my very unpopular opinion, one of the character's most endearingly honest, insightful moments of the series. Interestingly, Lorelai became almost like a Rachel Redux IMO---a woman Luke had pined for but, once actually together with, not someone he was all that compatible with or connected with well. I mean, it certainly would have helped matters for me if Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson didn't play so many of their post-Season 4 scenes like they found it achingly painful to share the same space, let alone behave with any warmth or affection, but part of it is the writing for me---they were just too different in too many of the wrong ways.

I agree wholeheartedly about hating Firefly's Inara and the prospective Mal/Inara pairing and Joan of Arcadia's pretentious, selfish, whiny poseury annoyance known as Adam Rove. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1

This one is really random but I hate that so many shows now have a character named Daniel.  Daniel is always a special snowflake of some kind, he is ALWAYS a love interest, and usually dies/gets killed to advance the story of of his love interest.  Alias, Nikita, Once Upon a Time, Days of Our Lives (that one is still alive), 

Arrow this upcoming season

, to name a few, all have this character and he is ALWAYS named Daniel.  Pick a new name television!  But not Jack, that's overplayed too.

• Love 1

This one is really random but I hate that so many shows now have a character named Daniel.  Daniel is always a special snowflake of some kind, he is ALWAYS a love interest, and usually dies/gets killed to advance the story of of his love interest.  Alias, Nikita, Once Upon a Time, Days of Our Lives (that one is still alive), 

Arrow this upcoming season

, to name a few, all have this character and he is ALWAYS named Daniel.  Pick a new name television!  But not Jack, that's overplayed too.

Lol Stargate had a Daniel and a Jack. And Daniel was the special snowflake there too.

And he died a whole bunch of times!

• Love 2

What's ironic about the Daniel/Jack thing is that on Days of Our Lives, Daniel *replaced* Jack and became the special snowflake that everyone must love or be considered Teh Evul. And this was after Jack had died a bunch of times, up to and including having his organs harvested. (Don't ask.)

Okay, I've been holding onto this one for a long time: I can't stand Winnie Cooper. I like Danica McKellar and, as an adult rewatching The Wonder Years, I understand why they characterized her a certain way. But the overall whininess and wishy-washiness drove me crazy. And while I joined the masses in disliking the fact that Winnie and Kevin didn't end up together in the end, it wasn't because I felt they were right for each other. Those annoying kids deserved each other, and I felt sorry for anyone else that got dragged into relationships with either of them.

My UO is that I love that they didn't wind up together.  It was the perfect ending for a show that had been more realistic than most.  Most childhood/teenage sweethearts don't last into adulthood, and that's a very good thing.  Yet on television, if characters simply grow up to look back on that relationship/person fondly yet move on with their life, it's a tragedy.

• Love 5

That seems to be an issue with TV in general - your first love is THE ONE.  If they come into your life again later on, no matter how old you are, or who you're currently with, you will fall for them again.  It was always strange to see that on TV, especially after I became an adult, and realized I wouldn't touch my first love with a ten-foot pole, even if I was available.

• Love 3

MasterChef UO: I didn't hate Krissi. Her "tough talk" was caricature and clownish to me, so it cracked me up because no way could I take that seriously (it would be like being terrified of the Icy Hot Stuntaz -- though Krissi wasn't nearly as funny as those guys...holy crap...). Also, I was a tad uncomfortable with the moblike, frenzied outrage over her and the thirst for her head to roll.

I am evidently the only person alive who was not offended when Berger used Post-It notes to dump Carrie on Sex & the City. They were totally wrong for each other, Berger had proven himself to be a weasel already, they should have broken up much earlier, Carrie was already over him even though they were ostensibly still a couple, and it was a great OTT exit for a character who'd overstayed his welcome.

Nobody agrees with me, however. Lots of people were outraged over that.

(edited)

ToxicUnicorn I agree about some of your SYTYCD UO's (not Twitch and Alex though. Love them!) I also don't get Jesse Tyler Ferguson love. I mean I like him on Modern Family and other than squeeing out with me over some of the hot guys, he doesn't seem to add much to justify his over-presence. . I like the fan aspect to a judge, so it's not that, I just wish there was more celebrity fan opinion rather than always relying on him.

Also, I like Nigel as well. He's done a good job, it's a great show (I love that they have never gone the "let's watch behind the scenes" route) and he hasn't, to me, been the problem with the show (I put that on some of the other judges). I also haven't gotten the skeevy factor everyone talks about.

This one is really random but I hate that so many shows now have a character named Daniel.  Daniel is always a special snowflake of some kind, he is ALWAYS a love interest, and usually dies/gets killed to advance the story of of his love interest.  Alias, Nikita, Once Upon a Time, Days of Our Lives (that one is still alive), , to name a few, all have this character and he is ALWAYS named Daniel.  Pick a new name television!  But not Jack, that's overplayed too.

Now I really want to find a character named Daniel who's a complete prick...

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 1

Characters named Daniel who are anything other than saints get to be called Danny or Dan.  Dan Scott from One Tree Hill, for example.  For some reason, a character being called the full name qualifies him for sainthood and it drives me nuts to the point where I get a twitch whenever I see or hear the name.  So irritating.

I'm rewatching Fringe (and loving it a million times more the second time around, which may or may not be unpopular!) and have arrived at the UO that Peter is actually my very favorite character. Walter and Olivia seem to get most of the fan love and attention---and understandably so---but it's Peter who somehow really touches me, and I think he's a more compelling and well-defined character than he's generally given credit for. I think Joshua Jackson was fantastic in the role...and this is coming from someone who holds the UO of never liking Pacey (or, well, pretty much anyone) on Dawson's Creek!   

• Love 2

I Haaaated the season finale of The Mentalist. Haaaated the way Jane was a prick most of the episode, hated that he bought outfits for her to wear and she supposedly thought that was a co-worker type things to do, hated that the director was supposedly so invested in their relationship, and totally cringed at the airplane scene. I couldn't even read The Mentalist forum after that episode because of all the squeeing. They don't do it for me as a couple at all.

• Love 3

Oh I know. The show sucked progressively harder when Jane killed Red John and then didn't. The finale was the worst piece of garbage on tv I've seen in a while. Jane was completely OOC and was an total fucking misogynist to Lisbon, but it's ok because lurve. gag

I am usually anti-shipper in general because most shipping on tv is ridiculously implausible. 

I don't think this is only me but cannot stand when people mash characters' names as a shipper thing. Like Jane/Lisbon is Jisbon. It seems like something teen girls would do. Stop it! You're adults. 

• Love 9

I really dislike Gerald McRaney. I've not been much of a fan in the past, and recently seeing him House of Cards and Longmire made me want to smack him. His general demeanor seems to be smug and self-satisfied and it just sets me on edge.

I really dislike Gerald McRaney. I've not been much of a fan in the past, and recently seeing him House of Cards and Longmire made me want to smack him. His general demeanor seems to be smug and self-satisfied and it just sets me on edge.

For what it's worth, my husband worked with him on a movie once and had nothing but good things to say about him and how nice he was. 

I don't think this is only me but cannot stand when people mash characters' names as a shipper thing. Like Jane/Lisbon is Jisbon. It seems like something teen girls would do. Stop it! You're adults.

Thank you!!  Another pet peeve:  Was it Grey's Anatomy that started the whole "Mc" nickname phase?  McDreamy, McHottie, etc?  Blech. 

In regards to SYTYCD, DWTS, AI and other shows like it--I'm not going to hate someone who the judges obviously favor simply because they favor them.  I'll hate that the judges are doing it, but if I'm going to hate the person, it's because of the way they behave. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I posted this in the Friday Night Lights forum:

I just finished marathoning FNL, and I've been anxious to come online and read about/discuss the show. I have found that I have A LOT of unpopular opinions about the show. Opinions about this show seem to be very universal.

I think the most unpopular opinion I have is that Saracen was not one of my favorite characters. From what I've gathered, he was a universally loved character, and I haven't found more than a couple of people who did not like him. While I liked Matt--and loved him at times--I never warmed to his character like I did the others, like Riggins, Smash, Street, Tyra, etc. Even though I think it's just a matter of my gut reaction to him, I've tried to discover the possible reasons why.
1. I didn't like his voice or speech patterns. While a seemingly-superficial complaint, it was just something annoying I could not get past. To me, it came across lazy as opposed to endearing.
2. I became attached to Street in the very first episode, and his paralysis left me devastated. As silly it sounds to say this about a fictional character, I guess I kind of resented that Saracen replaced Street as the hot-shot QB and became the hero of the team. And related to that, I found Saracen's rise from bumbling second-string player to star QB to be quite predictable and cliche--something that prevented me from becoming invested in that arc.
3. I thought he had an air of douchiness about him--I don't know if that was the acting or his character.
4. I found him the most unlikeable with Julie. Something about their teenage love story--as opposed to Street/Lyla and Tim/Lyla--was ever so annoying. Which leads me to my other unpopular opinion...

I really liked Carlotta! And I really liked Matt and Carlotta together--I think that's when I liked Matt the most. So imagine my shock when I finished the series and found that almost all fans hated Carlotta! First, I never thought Carlotta was much older than Matt so I never felt any ickiness about their relationship. Second, I thought their chemistry was amazing. I loved the slow build-up of their relationship, and I loved how it was such a stark contrast to his relationship with Julie. Matt/Carlotta felt so much more mature and meaningful. It was such a relief to me that Matt was able to move on from his relationship with Julie. I honestly thought that Matt/Carlotta had endgame potential, but I was shocked and disappointed when the relationship was never mentioned after season 2.

If you guys have other unpopular opinions about Friday Night Lights, I would really love to hear them because it is so hard to find on other sites. I've honestly never watched a show that has had almost nonexistent criticism or unpopular opinions. It's weird. 

Edited by Hava
  • Love 1
(edited)

I really liked Carlotta! And I really liked Matt and Carlotta together--I think that's when I liked Matt the most. So imagine my shock when I finished the series and found that almost all fans hated Carlotta! First, I never thought Carlotta was much older than Matt so I never felt any ickiness about their relationship. Second, I thought their chemistry was amazing. I loved the slow build-up of their relationship, and I loved how it was such a stark contrast to his relationship with Julie. Matt/Carlotta felt so much more mature and meaningful. It was such a relief to me that Matt was able to move on from his relationship with Julie. I honestly thought that Matt/Carlotta had endgame potential, but I was shocked and disappointed when the relationship was never mentioned after season 2.

If you guys have other unpopular opinions about Friday Night Lights, I would really love to hear them because it is so hard to find on other sites. I've honestly never watched a show that has had almost nonexistent criticism or unpopular opinions. It's weird. 

I liked Matt and Carlotta too and I was shocked that a popular opinion was that she raped him or something like that.  Didn't get that at all.  I thought they had a sweet relationship and I never could get what he saw in Julie.  She was so annoying to me.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I just started watching Friday Night Lights this summer and am about half way through S3...I didn't mind Carlotta or Matt and I actually thought of all the kids that were having sex with adults on that show, this was the only believable relationship and the only time it worked for me.  I don't know if it's an Unpopular Opinion or not, but I actually am getting tired of Street's character. The actor is phenomenal and the story itself is hearbreaking, but I'm not sure the show knew what to do with him once they paralyzed him. But that could change depending on how the rest of S3 plays out for me.

I know this is extremely unpopular but I thought Frank on Everybody Loves Raymond was a complete asshole and not that funny for the most part.  His constant belittling of his wife, regardless of what most people see as her faults, was so demeaning to me.  I really hated all his digs at mostly Marie but also Ray and Robert.  It really got under my skin.  Yeah he had affection for Debra but she already had parents who loved her and didn't need the extra boost.  I don't know he just irritated me for the most part.

• Love 2
(edited)

I never got the appeal of Florence Henderson, and I always thought Shirley Jones was the better 70's TV mom.  Henderson sounds like a self-righteous pill IRL, but Jones seems charming.  Plus, Jones was much prettier and far more talented, what with being an Oscar winner, and all.  Henderson sucks in comparison.  Feels good to get that off my chest.

Edited by Billina
  • Love 1
I can't get into Firefly.  I've watched the pilot about 4 times, trying to like it, but I get repelled every time.

May I join you at the table?  Because I just barely made it through the pilot and have not bothered attempting to watch the rest of the series.  It was that boring, and the pilot did nothing to hold my attention.  Some of my more sci-fi, geeky friends would curl into themselves if they read this.

• Love 3

David E. Kelley is a hack.

Every episode of every one of his shows that I've seen followed the same trite formula. A manic character does something manic, a quirky character does something quirky, several bland characters react to the manic quirkiness, and the main character, who's smarter than everyone else in the room, gives a huge, overwrought speech in the final act that either wins the big case, lands the big account, or solves everyone's problem.

Occasionally, the manic or quirky character is entertaining enough to get me through a few episodes, but that's as much to do with the acting as the writing, and I'm always driven away by that final-act speech.

David E. Kelley is a hack.

Every episode of every one of his shows that I've seen followed the same trite formula. A manic character does something manic, a quirky character does something quirky, several bland characters react to the manic quirkiness, and the main character, who's smarter than everyone else in the room, gives a huge, overwrought speech in the final act that either wins the big case, lands the big account, or solves everyone's problem.

Occasionally, the manic or quirky character is entertaining enough to get me through a few episodes, but that's as much to do with the acting as the writing, and I'm always driven away by that final-act speech.

I'm not ashamed to admit that John Cage was the only reason I kept watching Ally McBeal.  For me, he qualified as one of those quirky characters who was entertaining/sympathetic enough to keep me watching.

I think Modern Family is one of the most overrated sitcoms of all time.

Agreed! 

UO--I love Jeff Probst as host of Survivor. His being an alpha-male guy's guy doesn't bother me in the least. The show wouldn't be the same without him.

• Love 1
I can't get into Firefly.  I've watched the pilot about 4 times, trying to like it, but I get repelled every time.

May I join you at the table?  Because I just barely made it through the pilot and have not bothered attempting to watch the rest of the series.  It was that boring, and the pilot did nothing to hold my attention.  Some of my more sci-fi, geeky friends would curl into themselves if they read this.

It's definitely not for everyone--I adore it, though. Are you watching the actual pilot or the first episode that aired? The pilot episode that was shot for the show was not aired as the first episode, FOX wanted a more "exciting" premiere episode so they had them quickly write and shoot The Train Job. The episode that was supposed to be the pilot--crap I'm blanking on the title--it's the one where all the characters get introduced better...crap.  FOX eventually aired the pilot episode, but I think the show had already been axed and they burned off the last couple of episodes. 

(edited)
May I join you at the table?  Because I just barely made it through the pilot and have not bothered attempting to watch the rest of the series.  It was that boring, and the pilot did nothing to hold my attention.  Some of my more sci-fi, geeky friends would curl into themselves if they read this.

Sometimes it's a good thing that the internet is anonymous.  *scooches over*  By all means, pull up a chair, FlamingWench79!  We'll hide out from the sci-fi fans (including my husband) together.

This is hilarious, The Crazed Spruce.  I can't confirm or deny because I haven't seen all of his shows, but I do sincerely love a good rant. on this thread  

Geeking out, here is David E. Kelley's oeuvre, according to the esteemed wikipedia:

1.  LA Law

2.  Picket Fences

3.  Chicago Hope

4.  The Practice

5.  Ally McBeal

6.  Boston Public

7.  Boston Legal

I enjoyed LA Law back in the day, but many brain cells have died since, so I really don't remember it.  Never watched Picket Fences, but I'll give you that one based on Tom Skerritt's mustache.  Ally McBeal certainly qualifies, as does Boston Legal.  Never watched Chicago Hope or Boston Public, but now we've arrived at my point: I suspect The Practice might break the mold.  I don't remember manic or quirky on that show, I just remember a lot of serious over-emoting.   Does that count as overwrought?  Also an extremely scary pre-Ben Linus Michael Emerson.  (Can we agree that guy is talented?  He scared me so much at the time, I bailed.)

Anyway, I didn't realize that the idea that David E. Kelley is a hack is a UO.  I guess I would maybe both agree with you and watch anyway.  How's that for principles?

ETA: The Firefly pilot I saw was the first episode on Netflix.  It's called "Serenity".  

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 1

Count me in as another that couldn't get into Firefly. I watched the actual premiere years later when SyFy had a marathon and just could not sit through it.

A whole episode is still longer than I could sit through nuBSG, however. Ten minutes, and I was done, and hearing fan reaction to the finale hasn't done much to make me try again.

• Love 2
(edited)
The Firefly pilot I saw was the first episode on Netflix.  It's called "Serenity".

This is the same pilot I watched on Netflix as well.  I did my best to watch idea that maybe it would hold my interest, but it did nothing for me in the end.  

By all means, pull up a chair, FlamingWench79!  We'll hide out from the sci-fi fans (including my husband) together.

Together we shall avoid the onslaught of rotten tomatoes.  And I normally dig the sci-fi stuff.  Just not Firefly.  

Edited by FlamingWench79

I like Joss Whedon, but I too could not get into Firefly. I tried, but I just didn't find the story or the characters all that interesting. Nothing grabbed me. Having said that, I enjoyed the movie (Serenity) just fine.

• Love 2

The Firefly pilot I saw was the first episode on Netflix.  It's called "Serenity".

Someone whose a Firefly fan correct me if I'm wrong, but Serenity is not the pilot--it's the last in the series.  The movie that Joss made for the fans to tie up the show after it ended so abruptly.

It took me about 4 episodes to get into Firefly. After that, the more I watched, the more I like it-and I hate westerns and science fiction.  But, I was watching Chuck and loved the character of Casey, so the family (who had seen all the the Firefly episodes multiple times), insisted that I watch because Adam Baldwin also had a great character on that one as well. 

My unpopular opinion about Firefly is that I couldn't get past the Civil War analogy; the brown coats for whom we're supposed to feel sympathy represent the south. That doesn't work for me.

• Love 3

Someone whose a Firefly fan correct me if I'm wrong, but Serenity is not the pilot--it's the last in the series.  The movie that Joss made for the fans to tie up the show after it ended so abruptly.

Yes and no. Yes they did a movie called Serenity after the show was cancelled to try and shore up some of the storylines, but there was a two-part episode also called Serenity that was supposed to be the pilot, but FOX thought it wasn't actiony enough so Whedon and Minear had to write a new script in a very short period of time and produce it--The Train Job is actually the first episode that aired. Serenity, the episode, starts with the epic final battle of the war and introduces all the characters better than The Train Job did. It did eventually air, but if I remember right it was the last one to air and it aired after the show had been cancelled.

I agree that the show got better as you went along and I can see how many people wouldn't find it interesting, even if I do. It's one of those shows that probably would never have wide-spread appeal. Admittedly, I have weird tastes.

Thanks, DittyDotDot. I stand corrected.  I can honestly say that until Jaynsetown I was struggling to really care for it, but Jaynestown had me really interested and Out of Gas got me hooked.  But, I can relate to not sticking around long enough for a series to get good-I've dropped tv shows plenty of times after a couple of episodes. 

S Never watched Chicago Hope or Boston Public, but now we've arrived at my point: I suspect The Practice might break the mold.  I don't remember manic or quirky on that show, I just remember a lot of serious over-emoting.   Does that count as overwrought?

The Practice is the only DEK show I've enjoyed. Haven't been able to make it through an episode of Boston Legal or Ally McBeal, and ended up watching ER instead of Chicago Hope.

(edited)
But, I can relate to not sticking around long enough for a series to get good-I've dropped tv shows plenty of times after a couple of episodes.

And I think that's reasonable - there are a few shows I'm willing to give a chance if I'm not initially impressed or intrigued, but that's usually if I'm marathon-watching.  I'm usually more cutthroat watching a show live - between commercial breaks and waiting a week between episodes, it's easier to get distracted.  TV watching has changed a lot for me - if the pilot doesn't pull me in, then I'm usually not interested.  I don't feel it's my responsibility as a viewer to give a show a chance, even if I liked the showrunner's previous work, or like one or more of the actors in the cast.

For my part, Serenity, the movie, sparked my interest in Firefly.  I liked it well enough, but I can also understand why it failed to find a quick audience.

Edited by ribboninthesky1

TV watching has changed a lot for me - if the pilot doesn't pull me in, then I'm usually not interested.

Me too, but I actually give more shows a chance now. When only being able to watch live way back when, if I missed it then I'd tend to forget about it because I hate jumping in the middle. Or if it didn't pull me in, I'd just go do something else.

Now, I usually watch a new show the day or two after, check out the general opinion online, and then watch. Unless it's totally horrible I'll give a show 5 episodes because I have the flexibility when to watch. 

• Love 1

I usually give a show more than the pilot. In general, I think most shows have mediocre or terrible pilots. I usually give a show at least three episodes. Most times, my attention wanders since I've got other shows or things on my mind. I generally have an idea if I will like a book, movie or TV show.

I liked the Serenity a lot, but I never got into Firefly the show all that much. Maybe I'll try again one day, but even though I do like a lot of Whedon's work, I don't need to see all his work to be satisfied.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked the Serenity a lot, but I never got into Firefly the show all that much. Maybe I'll try again one day, but even though I do like a lot of Whedon's work, I don't need to see all his work to be satisfied.

At the time, I didn't even give Firefly a chance.  I remember reading about it and it thinking it sounded like something I never wanted to watch.  Same thing with Dollhouse; although with that I was certain no one would ever want to watch it, ever.  I just didn't like either premise at all.  I watched both years later and they were ok.  I think, in retrospect, that I was just burned out on Whedon.  I was tuning in and out of Angel and not particularly thrilled with the direction of Buffy  A lot of that was blamed, in forums,  on Whedon's attention turning to Firefly..

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Summer shows get more of a chance to pull me in than shows debuting in the fall or midseason because there's less competition. I'm usually desperate for new content by June 1. In the fall, I'll give every show that sounds even remotely interesting a try. Some don't make it past the first few minutes, others get a few episodes. By the time May rolls around, it's a good year if I'm still watching 2.

• Love 1

I actually like summer shows better. Usually, they're weirder and more serialized. This is what I like about tv now. There's no reason to not have original content year round, and with the more shows you have, there's a better chance of a lot more good shows. Not everything is going to be classics or super great, but I don't have a problem with a good B movie action, adventure show or a horror. Usually, summer is when these kind of shows air. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a shameful, you-know-you're-a-million-years-too-old-but-kind-of-enjoy-it-anyway fondness for Wizards of Waverly Place, which is probably unpopular (or at least embarrassing!) in and of itself, but my UO is that I hate Alex. Her constant disdain for reading and those 'nerdy' enough to like it makes me cringe, and she's just so arrogant and annoying to me rather than the fun and spirited 'firecracker' we're apparently supposed to see her as. I usually find myself rooting for her dopey schemes to fail miserably. I wish that smart, amusingly uptight, well-meaning Justin had been the show's star instead. 

ITA agree with Modern family being quite possibly the most overrated sitcom in the history of TV. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1

@mstaken I agree with your opinion on Wizards! My kids watched so of course I did. I find myself enjoying a lot of stuff that way but generally don't admit it too often. Alex, with her learning is stupid but I'm smarter than you, attitude grates. I appreciate Justin's desire to do what's right & be smart about it. I'm sure that's because I'm out of the intended demographic but I can generally appreciate a smart ass given the right setting.

I secretly love Good Luck Charlie. I enjoy Teddy's dorky need to always try her hardest & PJ's goofy mistakes. I can even take Gabe's smart ass moves because underneath it he seems to have a sweet side. Stupid Disney knows how to suck me in.

• Love 2