Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings & Scheduling: The 100... People Watching

4x02:

Average: 0.376 which gives a rounded up 0.4

Half Hour Marks: 0.400 ---- 0.353

These won't be the very finale adjusted unrounded until next week. Arrow ran overtime, so a downwards adjustment is expected. An average of 0.378 is the current series low if I remember right, so 4x02 might take that title by a very slim margin.

In total viewers (not that those really matter much), it reached all time series low with 1.013 mil.

In comparison 4x01 got:

Average: 0.441 (a strong 0.4 close to a weak 0.5)

Half Hour Marks: 0.463 --- 0.418

I bring in the half hour points, since they are the best at giving an idea of the reception from the GA of an episode. Since they represent (to a degree) the people that decided to watch the episode, but then switched off due to finding a given episode bad or uninteresting. The initially demo from 4x02 being lower than even the end demo for 4x01, implies lack of capturing audience interest with the season start, but the second and third episode being increasingly lower is very very typical. I.e. the real average is found after the first 3-4 episodes of a season as it gets whittled down to the 'core audience' numbers.

But if the next episode continues like that, the show will hit 0.3 soon, which I didn't see as an option until Empire returned. I expected it to bounce between 0.4 and 0.5 until stronger competition kicked back up. The amount of audience drop off between the half hour marks, are within the average of the 100, but the low starting demo, is not.

If there's one myth that I'd like to douse with fire, it's "total viewers (not that those really matter much)." They do. For shows like The 100, which make most of their revenue on post-view and international licensing, thus freeing the production budget from total dependence on ad buys, these days, the total viewers are more important than the demo. 

Pretty much all of the CW shows are experiencing series lows this season, even number one show The Flash, and none of the new shows are doing well in the numbers, so this all just seems part of the pattern. And although I have no idea how big the crossover audience is, lead-in show Arrow dropping slightly this past week probably didn't help either.

• Love 1
On 13/2/2017 at 2:38 PM, quarks said:

They do. For shows like The 100, which make most of their revenue on post-view and international licensing, thus freeing the production budget from total dependence on ad buys, these days, the total viewers are more important than the demo. 

Pretty much all of the CW shows are experiencing series lows this season, even number one show The Flash, and none of the new shows are doing well in the numbers, so this all just seems part of the pattern. And although I have no idea how big the crossover audience is, lead-in show Arrow dropping slightly this past week probably didn't help either.

Could you please share your thoughts on why you think total viewers are more important than the demo? Particularly as the 100 longer qualifies for the Netflix deal/bonus (in the sense it needs 4 more seasons for the next boost), and doesn't do so well on streaming services anymore.

With the goals of WB and CBS regarding the CW, demo still looks to be most important from what I gathered, but I am not opposed to be proven incorrect. Nielsen system is outdated and streaming makes things hard to gauge.

Regarding pattern it fits within the general down-slide of TV ratings in general however I think with looking at the CW, it is best to measure the shows against each other. Here the 100 is the 8th lowest out of current 10 shows airing, and JtV (CBS) is already renewed.

But I do think the 100 has very very high chance of another season. Not because they are doing good, because they are from what I can see, under-performing compared to expectations. But NT and Frequency flopped, Reign is in its last season and so is TVD. So that seems to be 4 cancellations. Then there is also The Originals and iZombie returning that might perform worse.

The CW is overstacked with shows, ordered a fair share of pilots and got their fingers in over 23+ new shows, but I don't think it is likely the CW cancelling 5 shows, and if they do, TO or iZ might be the 5th instead.

I'd venture that The 100 will definitely be renewed. They're losing TVD and Reign this year. No Tomorrow definitely isn't coming back, and Frequency probably isn't either because bad ratings/little buzz. IMO they really should cancel iZombie and I'll be surprised if it gets another chance if it continues on as its been. 

Next year, that leaves definites: Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, Legends, Supernatural, Jane the Virgin, and Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and most likelies: Black Lightning (duh), Riverdale (not because ratings, but because they want to expand that universe), The Originals (because they like Julie Plec/TVD nostalgia), and The 100 (despite the Clexa misstep, it still gets relatively good buzz/more attention from critics than most of their other shows.)  They've got 5 other new shows (besides BL) in development and none of them sound great besides maybe Valor (a military drama with romance). Because some of them will be midseason only (or Summer?) or shorter like Crazy Ex, there's a lot of fluidity there, and I'm pretty sure The 100's a lock for an S5.

1 hour ago, doram said:

Can you explain what this means?

There used to be a lot of chatter about this "Netflix deal" that could save shows, and a lot of speculation and wrong conclusions about what it was. Two popular conclusions were many thought Netflix wanted shows with 5 seasons or didn't want incomplete shows.

The Sony Leaked emails showed that the Netflix deal actually meant that for every 4th season of a show, Netflix pays an increase in licensing price per episode. And it is a very sizeable amount that it makes it worth renewing shows that are losing money in order to reach that. The numbers for a show (Better Call Saul I think) were among the leaks, and I think it was around 23% more $$$ for the show per year if 4 seasons (with another increase if the show has 8 seasons).  It is a pretty safe assumption that Reign got renewed based on this, and it likely also had an influence for why The 100 and The Originals were renewed as well as it made them all reach 4 seasons.

At the time the CW renewed all their shows, The 100, Reign, The Vampire Dairies and The Originals were the lowest WB produced CW shows but they all reached 4 seasons or 8 seasons with being renewed.

Edit: Supernatural also reached 12 seasons with their renewal. Not that they had a chance of being cancelled, but that was another show getting a boost in $$$ from Netflix back then

Edited by Gabe Torres
11 hours ago, taragel said:

Next year, that leaves definites: Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, Legends, Supernatural, Jane the Virgin, and Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and most likelies: Black Lightning (duh), Riverdale (not because ratings, but because they want to expand that universe), The Originals (because they like Julie Plec/TVD nostalgia), and The 100 (despite the Clexa misstep, it still gets relatively good buzz/more attention from critics than most of their other shows.)  They've got 5 other new shows (besides BL) in development and none of them sound great besides maybe Valor (a military drama with romance). Because some of them will be midseason only (or Summer?) or shorter like Crazy Ex, there's a lot of fluidity there, and I'm pretty sure The 100's a lock for an S5.

Dynasty looks also very likely imo. Previously the Lost Boys and Charmed reboot seemed to be a sure thing as well but if I remember right they pushed those back.

I really really would love to see Black Lightning on screen. For none comic people, Black Lighting is one of the first prominent Black Superheroes in the DC universe. Also one of his daughters is a lesbian, whose girlfriend is a 7 ft tall bisexual buff Asian American

Spoiler

/Half Amazon

. That is a lot of representation you don't usually see, though of course they might screw it up but the creator behind Being Mary Jane and her husband are Executive Producers. Then there is also the exploration of black fatherhood, which is rare as well.

The 100 isn't doing hot among critics anymore from what I've seen, and ended up on many worst shows or most disappointing shows of 2016. As a spoiler hound, it is really felt how many sites have dropped reviewing the 100. IGN and AVClub still reviews, but most of the remaining tend to be glorified fangirls (see Hypable) and not professional critics. There used to be a lot more sources for information since review sites are frequently offered interviews with the cast. The amount of discussion on various review sites is also so much less, and in some places pretty much dead like reddit.

Considering that LoT is beating Arrow currently, and with a lower budget than previously, I think it is likely it will end up with a 22 episodes order. That would remove one half season show slot. The CW acquiring Supergirl also over inflated their line up, and gave them another 22 episodes show. The CW has never had this many shows in their line up, but I still think the 100 is safe. What can change it, is the lack of CBS produced shows in the line up. Otherwise, it seems safe simply because of 2 shows ending and 2 shows doing worse.

Edited by Gabe Torres
3 hours ago, Gabe Torres said:

Dynasty looks also very likely imo. Previously the Lost Boys and Charmed reboot seemed to be a sure thing as well but if I remember right they pushed those back.

I really really would love to see Black Lightning on screen. For none comic people, Black Lighting is one of the first prominent Black Superheroes in the DC universe. Also one of his daughters is a lesbian, whose girlfriend is a 7 ft tall bisexual buff Asian American

Reveal hidden contents

/Half Amazon

. That is a lot of representation you don't usually see, though of course they might screw it up but the creator behind Being Mary Jane and her husband are Executive Producers. Then there is also the exploration of black fatherhood, which is rare as well.

The 100 isn't doing hot among critics anymore from what I've seen, and ended up on many worst shows or most disappointing shows of 2016. As a spoiler hound, it is really felt how many sites have dropped reviewing the 100. IGN and AVClub still reviews, but most of the remaining tend to be gloried fangirls (see Hypable) and not professional critics. There used to be a lot more sources for information since review sites are frequently offered interviews with the cast. The amount of discussion on various review sites is also so much less, and in some places pretty much dead like reddit.

Considering that LoT is beating Arrow currently, and with a lower budget than previously, I think it is likely it will end up with a 22 episodes order. That would remove one half season show slot. The CW acquiring Supergirl also over inflated their line up, and gave them another 22 episodes show. The CW has never had this many shows in their line up, but I still think the 100 is safe. What can change it, is the lack of CBS produced shows in the line up. Otherwise, it seems safe simply because of 2 shows ending and 2 shows doing worse.

I forgot Dynasty was CW for some reason--and they've also got Lucy Hale's show Life Sentence that will fit in well with Jane or Crazy Ex. 

Rothenberg also has another show Searchers with Greg Berlanti.  Assuming they pick that up, it could tip things in favor or against The 100 but I assume it'd tip in favor. Rumor has it Shumway will take over as EP if Searchers is picked up and Rothenberg officially moves on.

The only other pilot is Insatiable which sounds blah on paper and only really has Ryan Seacrest as EP for name value right now.

I'd actually like them to cut a lot of their 22-23 ep shows down to 13-16. It would take the bloat out of so many of them (Arrow, I'm looking at you!). 

And though critics and viewers soured on S3--this is the kind of show that earned enough good will early on and deals with enough BIG topics and themes that it can get that attention back pretty quickly if they do a good job with the writing and come up with something smart. (Of course, that's debatable.) I think this one has the ability to get that Battlestar-light distinction it had before--or it at least has way more potential for attention than a show like iZombie or The Originals. (Even the Lexa thing might have been seen as any publicity being good publicity by execs.)

Edited by taragel

This is the current schedule:

March 22nd: 407 “Gimme Shelter”
March 29th: 408 “God Complex”

April 5th: Repeats of “Whose Line Is It Anyway”
April 12th: no new episode (no info yet on what will air instead)

No confirmed dates for 409 to 412 yet.

May 24th: Season finale

“The 100″ Schedule Update

ETA: re: schedule.

The 100 Schedule

There won’t be any new episodes for 3 weeks after episode 408 “God Complex”. This is the current schedule:

March 22nd: 407 “Gimme Shelter”
March 29th: 408 “God Complex”
April 5th: Repeats of “Whose Line Is It Anyway?”
April 12th: Repeats of “Whose Line Is It Anyway?”
April 19th: Repeats of “Whose Line Is It Anyway?”

Considering 413, the season finale, is scheduled for May 24th, there should be no further hiatus after this.

The 100 Schedule upd #2

Edited by CooperTV

At the TCA press tour we learned a little more about The 100 season 5 — specifically its episode count, and its open-ended future.

If you’re eagerly awaiting The 100 season 5, there’s good news and bad news: you have to wait until February 2018 to get it, but when it finally arrives, it promises to be an epic season of television, set six years after the second nuclear apocalypse, catching up with older and wiser (?!) versions of Clarke, Bellamy, Octavia and the rest.

Even as the story pushes forward and explores the new conflict between our heroes and the mysterious newcomers aboard the Eligius ship, we’ll get flashbacks that reveal what’s happened in the six intervening years, and explain why some characters have changed dramatically since we last saw them. You can learn much more about what’s to come in our extensive breakdown of The 100 season 5 reveals from SDCC 2017.

This Wednesday, The CW took the stage at the Television Critics’ Association summer press tour to preview their upcoming fall schedule, and while there wasn’t much news about The 100 (which is held for mid-season), we did learn that season 5 will be 13 episodes long, just like season 4.

‘The 100’ season 5 will be 13 episodes, ‘no conversations’ about ending the series

Apparently the CW is trying to make another run at this year-round programming thing.

I'm far more surprised by the decision to have The 100 follow The Flash.  Those are about the last two shows on the network I would put on the same night. Well, maybe Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and The 100, but still.

1 hour ago, quarks said:

I'm far more surprised by the decision to have The 100 follow The Flash.  Those are about the last two shows on the network I would put on the same night. Well, maybe Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and The 100, but still.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend doesn't have any live viewership to speak of as it is. Same with The 100. It'd disaster waiting to happen.

1 minute ago, CooperTV said:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend doesn't have any live viewership to speak of as it is. Same with The 100. It'd disaster waiting to happen.

Agreed, which is why I said they'd be the last pairing I'd put together.  Flash and The 100 would be the next to last.

The 100 did ok following Arrow for three seasons, but now that Arrow has been the only show not named Supernatural to not completely crash and burn in that 9 PM timeslot (it slid, but didn't completely crash and burn) for years, I suppose its days as an 8 pm lead in show are long gone. Still. I could see The 100 following Riverdale, Supernatural, maybe even Supergirl (in the sense that they are both feature women as their main protagonists.) Flash - not so much.

And I'm honestly not sure that anything could bring back The 100's live numbers at this point - which, beyond tone, is another reason this is an odd move. Yes, Flash's numbers dropped this season, but it's still the CW's most popular show. Why not use it for shows whose numbers can at least in theory improve - aka, pretty much every other show on the network? 

The 100 season 5 is getting closer, with the premiere episode “Eden” airing on April 24. While we wait, let’s break down the episode titles.

It’s been a long, long hiatus. With little to no information about the upcoming fifth season of The 100, the fandom has taken it upon itself to #PromoteThe100 on social media, aided by showrunner Jason Rothenberg’s tireless efforts to ease the long wait for the trailer.

Overanalyzing 'The 100' season 5 episode titles: From 'Eden' to 'Damocles'

1 minute ago, CooperTV said:

I don't think the show had the ratings this good since season 2, to be honest. Good for the everyone involved, though.

Season 3, actually. People on Spoilertv were saying that the last time the ratings were this good, it was 3x07. 

13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Season 3, actually. People on Spoilertv were saying that the last time the ratings were this good, it was 3x07. 

Clexa debacle and subsequent fandom meltdown would to that. Those Bellamemes have done the good job at promoting the show this season, it seems!

S5 Schedule Update

The CW will show a repeat of “Red Queen” on June 12th instead of airing a new episode. 

This means this is the current schedule:

May 29th: Repeat of 501 “Eden”
June 5th: New 506 “Exit Wounds”
June 12th: Repeat of 502 “Red Queen”

No info past this point available at the moment.

Link

43 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

They're really dragging the show out. What's with these dumb two-week-breaks? The season should be in the can for a while now, there is no reason to air repeats every two weeks. That surely kills the momentum.

No idea what are they thinking with this. Two episodes a month is bad enough, but they'll probably have to make a mid-season cliffhanger-y break as well at some point this season.

BURBANK, CA (June 13, 2018) – For four seasons, The CW’s smash hit show, The 100 has taken fans on ups and downs as post-apocalyptic heroes fight to survive.  The fight has torn them apart, turned them against each other and taken the lives of their closest friends.  Already renewed for Season Six, the fifth installment takes us through the journey of establishing a new home and protecting the future generations when Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) releases the exhilarating The 100: The Complete Fifth Season on DVD.  The 100: The Complete Fifth Season will feature all 13 explosive episodes plus all-new bonus content and will be available for fans to own on October 9, 2018 for $24.98 SRP.

In addition, The 100: The Complete Fifth Season also arrives on Blu-rayTM courtesy of Warner Archive Collection. The Blu-rayTM release includes all bonus features on the DVD, and is also arriving October 9, 2018. Warner Archive Blu-rayTM releases are found at wb.com/warnerarchive and your favorite online retailer.

The 100: The Complete Fifth Season Arrives on DVD in October

CW 2019/2020 schedule

The CW has five original scripted series lined up for midseason including the aspirational new series KATY KEENE, based on characters from Archie Comics, along with returning series DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW, IN THE DARK, ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO and THE 100.