Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: Ku I Ka Pili Koko (Blood Brothers)

• Start Topic

OK, so I'm here because I'm hoping this might be the place where former TWoPers might come and I don't know where else we'll get H5-0 discussions going and I need them. I only lurked over there but I'm taking the plunge here to start us off. *Gulps nervously* So...Pleasantly surprised how well the show delivered what so many of us fans had hoped for in this, what with all that bromance and hurt, the tension, the dust, the time running out, the hand holding, the hug and the heart-to-heart. It seemed as though Peter Lenkov threw everything into this to appease fan discontent over this season's shortcomings. I was actually (pessimistically) expecting the 'hurt' that had been talked about for so long would actually end up being about Danno's claustrophobia rather than a genuine injury, so I was happy (because *shrugs* yes, I love the hurt/comfort stuff) to have blood but ...really show!...taking the rebar out was just plain stupid! Don't all first-aid instructions say, with a penetrative injury, to leave the item in place? It was distractingly annoying. Otherwise, thought the claustrophobia was actually rather glossed over, although the reciting of baseball team members was cute and convincing and SC was great.

Sad that the show continues to build on Danno's whining - yes, I guess he had reason to complain in those circumstances and it was kinda interesting they gave this characteristic a bit of backstory but I wish just sometimes the writers would allow him to be as BAMF as the others. Scott Caan needs a proper story arc of his own. At least, they allowed his investigative skills to come through in his searching of the body - in so many other episodes that too has been usurped by the rest of the team. 

Fed up at the thought of yet more CIA/Doris/Wo-Fat to come but otherwise, yep, it was a good one. Off to watch it again to be sure. :)  

taking the rebar out was just plain stupid!

I was rolling my eyes, too.  "It might become infected" -- so let's not only risk him bleeding out, but let's open the wound to all the dirt in the middle of a collapsed building.  And of course, Danny's just walking around like everything's fine.  A perforation of the abdominal wall HURTS.  You can walk around if you have to, but you really feel like curling into a little ball and whimpering.

Which is how I'm feeling about yet more Shelburn(e), BTW.

One thing did make me happy:  Amber sensibly ignored Danny's instructions to hide the truth from Grace.

• Love 1

It was typical TV fiction of danger - like how they always shoot the hero in the shoulder as though that's the standard body part that heals instantly or requires a sling for two days maximum. Steve also uttered the Tv miracle wound words....it missed your organs and major arteries. Code for we want the viewers to worry about you but we need medium level danger only to keep you moving and talking.

Still to me the bromance made up for it....Steve immediately takes Danny's hand and takes it again to reassure before he leaves to find the lever. And off course the love you hug in the end. You know on some level these guys really like and respect each other despite the arguing, showing the love now and then is a nice touch.

The Shelburn story can die anytime but I'm just going to suck it up for the rest of this season because it's too late....I don't know,if they're still filming but the episodes are certainly written through the finale so it has to play out. Can only hope the writers take the hint from the fans and tone down that sort of arc story line next season, it's just too soap opera

I really want the Shelburn story line to die.  I don't find it compelling.

I'll reserve judgement on Amber.  I am glad they acknowledged the age difference.  That seemed realistic.  I think Steve was on to something about Grace and Amber.  I don't think Danny should introduce Grace to every woman he dates, but she's not a small child.  Although, I can't even imagine walking in on a scene like that at 11 or 12.  But then my parents are still married to each other.

I had a hard time buying the running out of air issue.  That was a pretty big space.  And the first aid was nuts.  As was Danny being practically fine.  But I can over look some things.

The Steve/Catherine hug made my little shipper heart melt a bit.  Overall, I thought it was a strong episode.

Nice to see Danny and Amber Vitali progressing. Thought when she was up and dressing while Danno slept, she was up to no good, or sneaking out at least. Was awkward Gracie catching them. Nice of Rachel to just dump her off. She would normally come in and tell Danny. Later she does prove she loves him when she brought Grace to the scene.

You could also tell Catherine loved Steve. I was surprised when her Microphone slid in the rubble didn't really "save the day". But the banging on pipes was a good idea.

Danny got hurt pretty good. With the maybe busted rib, beam on leg and rebar in side. Will he be missing an episode??

When Chin and Kono went to question JC Dekker(Xzibit from Pimp My Ride) he looked like he still had concrete dust in his hair. Nice to see JC got to "talk" to Spider in L3.

Steve going to talk to ex CIA agent Edward Cobb, I knew something would happen. Not good that he blows up a bld. and kills Marcus Dekker and tried to take out a lot more. But am surprised he told Steve it was Lake Quan Fat(sp?) body, Wo Fats mother, in the unmarked grave. He then went for a hidden gun and Steve took him out. Was surprised there wasn't someone else, a sniper or someone there to help Cobb. I figured with the desk by the window he had a sniper watching too. Wonder if Steve found any other paperwork in that office??

No Duke this episode.

My little Danny whumper heart skipped a beat when I saw that rebar sticking out of Danny's belly! Gotta admit Danny was pretty BAMF for staying conscious and not screaming while Steve yanked the rebar out and poured peroxide all over the wound! Okay, MAYBE doctor Steve should have left it alone, but then where would the drama be? I don't fret the inconsistencies in this show. If I let them bother me, I would have been long gone by Season 2.

I am surprised how well the writers developed Amber in this episode! I fully prepared myself to dislike her and gripe and complain about the age difference and her being young enough to be Gracie's sister, but I have to say Amber grew on me, and I was relieved to see that she went against Danny's directions and brought Grace to the bomb site. Danny got a nice hug for his efforts this time around instead of being walked past to get to Steve. It's quite possible that this woman will be very good for our Grumpy Cat. Maybe we CAN have a happy Danny!

I know a lot of people are just plain sick of the McGarrett Family Saga, but I'm pretty sure it's here to stay.Peter Lenkov stated at the very beginning of the reboot that Wo Fat will be Steve's nemesis for the duration of the series, as he was in the original H5O. I certainly dislike Doris with a passion, and I hope we don't see a lot of her in the future, but there are many new questions raised in the last few episodes that I find intriguing: why did our ex-CIA guy call an unsanctioned hit on Wo Fat's mother? Is Wo Fat's father still alive and is HE the reason Doris went into hiding to protect her family from his revenge? Does Wo Fat know his mother's dead? How could he not miss her? Apparently Wo Fat's father must have disappeared, too, since WoFat seems to think Shelburne killed his dad. Finally, will someone please tell me why Wo Fat and Doris did not blow each other's brains out in that safe house?

In short, this was a strong, intense episode filled with bromance, action, BAMF ness, humor, emotion and plot development. I'm a happy camper!

• Love 1

Well I always like when we get some Danny and Steve moments.  As far as him walking too straight, I had surgrey and my ex-sister in-law ( was sister in-law at the time and a nurse) asked me how in the hell was I walking so damn straight.  When she had the surgery, she could hardly stand up straight.

But I do have a high tolerance to pain, because every time I go to see a doctor about some minor thing, it's never minor but more serious than I ever thought it to be.  So I can give a little slack for it but I would have prefered Danny to be taken to the hospital with a bit more angst.  :)

But at least we got someone hurt, because I don't think I could buy not a scratch on either guy.

I was surprised about Amber, I guess I've missed too many shows and just didn't know about her.  But I wouldn't worry long about the relationship as the track record, they disappear way to fast.

I was thinking, when Danny told Amber to put Grace in a total news blackout, that when she finds out, she's going to be pissed!  I'm glad that Amber obviously explained the situation and brought her to the site, and that Danny realized that was the right thing to do.

This was one of the best episodes in a while.  I knew they weren't going to kill our bros, so the tension level wasn't as high as it might have been with a second or third tier character, but it was still exciting.

I don't quite get how we got from NYC to Hawaii, but I let that slide.

I get that in any drama, our heroes will be able to extricate themselves from the situation, no matter how dire, but that building collapse was just ridiculous. Generally when a building collapses, rubble fills all the available space, yet Danny and Steve mostly could move around pretty freely. And as for pulling out the rebar... unless Danny absolutely had to crawl through a narrow space where it might catch on things and rip his wound wider (as at the end, when it might have been justified), it's doing a damn good job of plugging the wound. Maybe you'll suffer from peritonitis in the next couple of days, but that's way more treatable than bleeding to death!