Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Old Loves

The Marnie and Desi fights are hilarious "what is this tiny shelf for!?!" Almost as good as last season when they fought over their terrible songs. Also Desi is getting kind of self aware during this season, calling himself a garbage person in episode 1 and saying he is from thw gutter tonight..

The Hannah and Fran fights are not as hilarious. I laughed but more out of oh wow Hannah get some chill. And Fran get some chill too. You are normal please don't let Hannah's crazy take you.

Uh.. Jessa.. Can we please rewind to like three seasons ago? Its seriously what a bitch this episode.

Ellijah and the news guy are adorable. Shipping them.

The show needs more Ray. These last couple of episodes there hasn't been enough.

• Love 4

I'm traumatized by the sex scenes in this episode.

So, Jessa only went to have sex with Adam to hurt Hannah.  

p.s.  They need to give Elijah/Andrew Rannells his own spin-off.

• Love 8

p.s.  They need to give Elijah/Andrew Rannells his own spin-off.

A spin off of Elijah's adventures working at Ray's.

• Love 1

I really liked the kissing scene with Dill and Elijah. I wish they could've just ended it there and drawn out the romance at least a little longer. Dill's apartment is gorgeous - just once in my life I'd like to step inside a place like that.

Desi freaking out over not being able to remove his t-shirt was hilarious.

I feel like all these pairings in the show are good ones, even if the people involved are just getting what they deserve. I'm rooting for Shoshanna and the Japanese guy, and was rooting for Dill and Elijah up until the sex scene (I have a bad feeling Dill is going to turn out to have a fatal flaw).

Once again, I loved the final song. I wonder who picks the music for this show. Also, why does Hannah always have to dress like someone's frumpy grandma? I don't get it.

• Love 2

Jessa had the perfect opportunity to tell Hannah that she had feelings for Adam at the pudding place (is that really a thing?) Of course Hannah would have freaked out but at least things would have been out in the open. I don't even like Hannah half the time but I'm with her on this, Jessa is a bitch! And that sex scene was really really bad.

Speaking of bitches, can Desi be anymore of a pathetic bitch? I can't stand when he starts in on his self-loathing act just to pull Marnie in. I did laugh when he couldn't get his shirt off though. I love that all the neighbors also hate Desi and Marnie.

I'm worried about Elijah's new boyfriend situation. Something about him seems to good to be true. The sex scene was weird but other than that he seems like an amazing guy. No one can have a happy relationship on this show so I'm expecting the worst.

• Love 2

I'm most interested in Elijah/Dill's romance. I'm hoping Dill won't turn out to be crazy, but knowing this show, that's probably what will happen. In the meantime, I'll take all the naked Andrew Rannells I can get. And Lord, please let him never shave that beard.

Adam and Jessa deserve each other. And it was kind of hilarious that they had bad sex.

Hannah and Fran are doomed. As someone who is a teacher and is married to another teacher, don't get in fights over grading. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Desi is a time bomb waiting to happen. He's going to end up going truly psychotic one day. Also, isn't Marnie renting? Pretty sure building walls in the apartment would violate some sort of a lease.

I missed Shoshanna in this episode. She's my favorite.

• Love 7

I kind of enjoy the uncomfortable sex scenes on this show.  So often TV and movies make it seem like sex is always fantastic; miraculously after four pumps both people come.  Jessa and Adam changing positions and trying to find one that worked was both funny and realistic, especially given they were trying to fit onto a couch.  Dill’s directions to Elijah were also great – go fast, then slow, then fast again. I also liked that they didn’t shy away from showing gay men kissing and having sex.  They were just one more couple in the messy coupling that makes up the Girls universe.

As far as the fight between Fran and Hannah, do we think he thinks she is a good teacher?  I mean, ever?  She is often inappropriate, is absorbed in her personal issues and teaches whatever she is in the mood for.  He seems to take his position quite seriously.

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 12

No she is a terrible teacher, as has been demonstrated in her earlier efforts. She has no boundaries, and drags her students into her mess. She should be fired and soon. 

I only watch this occasionally, but Hannah as a character is simply going in circles. Is there some point at which she decides to try something new? Dunham has made her ever more lumpish and frowsy as the seasons pass. Is this intentional or just Dunham herself not knowing what to do with the character. At least Shoshanna made it to Japan. 

As for Desi and Marni...I am waiting for him to slug her...he looks to me like a guy just waiting to discover he is a wife beater.

• Love 3

It's so Hannah to ignore proper grammar in favor of creativity, write "OMG AMAZING" on her student's homework, and to pull Fran out of class to have a fight with him in front of said student. She could have just told Maile it was an accident; I'm sure Maile had it saved on her computer and could just print another copy. Having said that, Fran should have stayed out of Hannah's grading. If it really bothered him that much, he should have had a private conversation with the principal (who should have already fired Hannah for last season's piercing escapade, but whatever).

In past episodes, wasn't Marnie's apartment shown as being barely big enough to fit her bed? How does the bed still fit if there's a wall in the middle of the apartment now? But of course it's totally in character for Desi to "surprise" Marnie with a huge expense neither of them can afford. Didn't he spend $2000 on guitar strings or some shit last season?

I'm not saying Jessa is a good person in any way, but it's about time someone stopped indulging Hannah. She dragged Jessa out even though Jessa clearly didn't want to go, then made her pay, then tried to lay a guilt trip on her, then was surprised that Jessa wasn't fighting to save the friendship.

The sex scenes were pretty hilarious. I know nothing about gay sex, but Dill's quick-quick-slow instructions sounded like he was teaching Elijah the foxtrot. Elijah seemed taken aback, and we're supposed to believe that he's quite experienced, so I gather that Dill's preferences aren't the norm. The couch clearly wasn't working for Jessa and Adam, so they should have tried something else.

ETA: how hideous were Marnie's sequined pants?

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5

Said aloud by me to TV:

"Either move it to the floor or the bed. The couch is ridiculous. You are both too tall."

While Hanna is a study in bad teaching-- I don't care how "right" one of my fellow teachers/ significant other/s any combination thereof was, I would fucking strangle them if they picked up a paper and applied red pen to it in my stead. They would have that red pen hanging out of their ear. You just. Don't  Holy fuck.
Sure, Hanna overreacted, but clearly the boundary issues go both ways.

I loved Dunham's "Behind the ep" analysis of this scene. Pretty much confirmed my reaction to it.

And I too love the fact that pretty much every sex scene we have seen on this show contains a clusterfuck element to it. Any time you get two people together with such a specific desired result (geddit, teacher pals?), there is going to be a collision of opinions. I think the most sex positive aspect of this film is  giving us the message that sex can still be fun even if complications arise and just letting it flow is the best solution. I think my favorite sex moment still is Marnie in season one and her post-coital laughing fit. Sometimes you gotta.

(I just wish I was in the room acting as sex coach because seriously, the couch? LOL)

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 5

Marnie spends $3000 a year on tea at the coffee shop?

What did she say to Hanna about sticking with relationships?

Hanna really hasn't dumped boyfriends like she's dumped jobs (at GQ) or the Iowa Writers Conference.

She got dumped by Adam.

I think the awkward sex followed by Jessa looking at Adam sleeping is suppose to mean they have a genuine thing.

So thats the loophole in the girl code for Marnie, be shitty to Hanna and then go right to bone her ex.

Will she try to keep it a secret or throw it in Hannas face? Marnie tried to keep her thing with Ray a secret because she was ashamed but Jessa doesn't seem the typ to be ashamed.

Edited by scrb

Dill is loosely-based on Anderson Cooper. They got the "topping-from-the-bottom" correct.

DO TELL. :D

I don't think Jessa slept with Adam because she had a fight with Hannah, I think she was fighting with Hannah because she was trying to take her mind off of Adam. I actually think  that transition played well. Only-- holy shit, what now, you two? 

I re-watched the ep in Spanish for listening practice-- the voice over actors are actually really good, which is refreshing, as a lot of times the pick the hammiest ham actors to do Spanish language voice-over. Marnie's  stand in was particularly funny.

one last thought-- "I choose to take that as a compliment." Heh. "Hannah Takes a Backhanded Compliment As a Sincere One" Think that is a PTV shout-out? HEY LENA! S'UP, GURL!

• Love 6

Desi is a time bomb waiting to happen. He's going to end up going truly psychotic one day. 

I bet the Girls will all come back together when Desi beats Marnie, bookending the season.

Ray will be the White Knight, especially as Helvetica is a metaphor for Desi.

Edited by CofCinci

Do we really think Desi is going to hit Marnie? That seems kind of dark for this show. I mean look I think we all know that the marriage is not going to last but I'm thinking Desi probably cheats on her. I can think of a perfect scenario, some woman who has something to do with their music or whatever and Desi cheats with her. In perfect TV world, Marnie doesn't find out, ray does. Or better yet Jessa does but it's after everyone has found out about the and Adam so when she finds out, she has no one to tell what she knows. That's what I think is going to happen. Or something like it.

Something about this episode felt fluffy, and like it was attempting to go for a Sex & The City vibe - especially the construction scene in the apartment.  The scene in the school with the student was something out of a network sitcom.  Because the writers have never bothered fleshing out Jessa or giving her any kind of reasonable motivations, her character always comes off as insane and callous.  The actress seems capable of way more.  This show frustrates me.

the pudding place (is that really a thing?)

Yep! It's called Rice to Riches, and serves all kinds of rice pudding. (I personally find it all way too sweet but I know many people who love it).

Also, isn't Marnie renting? Pretty sure building walls in the apartment would violate some sort of a lease.

That was my first thought, too. Surprised Marnie didn't bring it up. Also, it was fun to see Heather from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as one of the neighbors. Would love to see more of her, I think that actress is really funny.

• Love 1

p.s.  They need to give Elijah/Andrew Rannells his own spin-off.

Agree on all points.  

Elijah and Ray are the best things about this show.   I don't know what traumatized me more, Jessa & Adam or Elijah & Dill. 

I think Jessa wanted to sleep with Adam s she created drama (or reacted differently to the usual drama) with Hannah so she could break the supposed girl code.  After all, if they're not friends, Adam is fair play.   

I'm not sure exactly how but Desi is going to implode.  The apartment wall issue did feel lifted out of Sex and the City, although it was a great example of I'm-doing-this-for-you, er, I'm-really-doing-this-for-me.  That seems to be Desi's go to move.  Two things stood out to me: 1 that was a really expensive dead, non-weight-bearing wall; 2 the wall was in the middle of the window.  Way to make the room even darker. 

Marnie's sequin pants were Hannah levels of ugly. 

• Love 4

Yep! It's called Rice to Riches, and serves all kinds of rice pudding. (I personally find it all way too sweet but I know many people who love it).

I had no idea that pudding was so popular. My neighborhood is a little behind on the trends though, we just got a Starbucks around two years ago and I heard rumors that we might be getting a cupcake place soon. I'm intrigued by this pudding renaissance!

As a homeowner and landlord, I am mortified by the way these idiots just tear up apartments and do spontaneous construction work.  In what world is this possible??  Isn't Marnie a renter?  And now that she's married to Desi and on a crunchy hippie granola kick, how long before they leave this trashed apartment to pitch a tent to live in Central Park?

• Love 5

Adam and Jessa's sex being bad earned a Nelson Muntz-style "HA ha!" from me.

Jessa was acting out towards Hannah, both because she couldn't get Adam off her mind and because she wanted to tick Hannah off, so that she would feel less guilty when she succumbs to her Adam attraction.

Exactly right, I think. 

Yep! It's called Rice to Riches, and serves all kinds of rice pudding.

Oh, my God.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

Something about this episode felt fluffy, and like it was attempting to go for a Sex & The City vibe - especially the construction scene in the apartment.  

I got the same thing from when Hannah and Marnie were hanging out at Jessa's.  The banter and the dialogue serving as a device to further their plot lines seemed reminiscent of Carrie, Miranda, etc. at the coffee shop.  

As a homeowner and landlord, I am mortified by the way these idiots just tear up apartments and do spontaneous construction work.  In what world is this possible??  Isn't Marnie a renter?  

There was a similar (actually, pretty much identical) issue in an earlier season when Adam and Hannah were doing DYI construction.  I think they knocked down a wall to combine their units, or to give her a bigger space, or something.  I ranted against it then, for the same reason.

I know the point was conflict between Fran and Hannah, but I'm with Fran on the grading issue.  Years ago my then-in-6th-grade nephew brought home a school assignment story he'd written that was full of spelling and grammatical errors.  When I commented on it, his mother told me that the assignment was about creativity and the teacher didn't want to stifle that by having the students distracted with writing correctly.  Fast forward to now, and the kid's in the Navy, married, father of two, and while verbally articulate enough, can barely put together a written sentence.  Maybe related, maybe not.  

I was starting to think that we were going to see Dunham's boobs every episode this season.  She broke her streak by substituting Jemima's.  Not that I'm complaining.

Yeah, Desi's a time bomb.  

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2

Fran's such a mellow fellow, he objected to Hannah and Eli sucking face with a little nose wrinkle.  It seems odd that he'd be jerking that essay out of Hannah's hands to the point where it ripped.  If he's having a reaction to Hannah erasing his spank bank, let's talk about that.

Marnie deriving a huge epiphany about herself from the chit-chat?  Marnie who?

Nobody's ever had great first-time sex on a couch.  Her one leg bent and cramped behind the cushions while the other was braced on the floor--hilarious.  (I thought her final expression was reality hitting her, i.e. she's scratched that itch at great personal cost and now she's stuck with the douche that is Adam.)

I question whether these life-long renters would be so quick to engage in contractor work.  It wasn't until I bought my first house that it occurred to me I should have changed the horrible aluminum foil wallpaper in my rental apartment bathroom.

LOL  I'm going to have Anderson Cooper's face superimposed over Corey Stoll's forever.  Maybe even in other shows.

• Love 2

While Hanna is a study in bad teaching-- I don't care how "right" one of my fellow teachers/ significant other/s any combination thereof was, I would fucking strangle them if they picked up a paper and applied red pen to it in my stead. They would have that red pen hanging out of their ear. You just. Don't  Holy fuck.

Sure, Hanna overreacted, but clearly the boundary issues go both ways.

I agree. Hannah is a horrible teacher because of her lack of boundaries, good lord. 

If she had boundaries I believe she'd be an awesome English teacher, even a drama teacher, cause if anyone knows drama it's her. But the boundary issue will always get in her way.

However, she was right in this case.  The assignment was about the kids just letting their creative juices flow. It's about trust, she told them not to worry about the technicalities because when you do that while writing, I believe it interrupts the thought process, the flow of creativity. So if she returns their papers with a bunch of grammatical corrections then they can't trust her.  Especially the high functioning kids, the overachievers, they don't want to hear it and it will send them into a tizzy. 

She told them that the assignment would not be judged on technicalities, but then she does exactly that and returns their papers with a bunch of red marks judging them on their grammar/syntax etc...?  As long as a teacher gives more assignments that stress the technical and that goes across  the board in every subject than the kids should be fine. The problem is if Hannah gives nothing but a bunch of creative writing assignments and never teaches the basics. Which unfortunately, I can see her doing cause I don't think balance is a strong suit of hers.

Fran, butt out and Hannah, but out of Fran's phone.  

If you can't handle it get ready to send him packing.  By the way, I agree with Hannah, no way in hell do I want to find your old naked girlfriends' pictures on your phone. Yeah, I'm not letting that go, but I'm letting you go. He's not a bad guy at all IMO, but no, just no. 

Desi and Marnie for the funny in this episode.  Desi is a nut, and when he couldn't get that shirt off and cried about how he couldn't even do that right OMG, I could not stop laughing. However, on a more serious note, Desi seems headed for a breakdown and does look like he could be capable of strangling Marnie in her sleep. 

Marnie is an idiot, run, just run girl.

Adam and Jessa, whatever.

Elijah and Dil were very romantic with the kiss out on the street. I hope that guy isn't playing him, I hope it's real. This has gotta be going somewhere and I just hope it's no where tragic.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
Fran's such a mellow fellow, he objected to Hannah and Eli sucking face with a little nose wrinkle.  It seems odd that he'd be jerking that essay out of Hannah's hands to the point where it ripped.  If he's having a reaction to Hannah erasing his spank bank, let's talk about that.

I wonder if it is that Fran is mellow about most things, but takes being a teacher very seriously?  I mean Hannah likes being a teacher, but it was only an option for her when her writing career did not quite pan out.  I wonder if she looks at this job as a temporary set up, until she can write the great American Millennial novel (she is the voice of her generation)?

Fran's actions were still out of line.

Desi and Marnie for the funny in this episode.  Desi is a nut, and when he couldn't get that shirt off and cried about how he couldn't even do that right OMG, I could not stop laughing. However, on a more serious note, Desi seems headed for a breakdown and does look like he could be capable of strangling Marnie in her sleep.

I wonder if Ray's take down of him (where he stood Marnie up at the gig) has allowed a little self awareness to creep into his psyche?  It seemed to shock him, since he is constantly used to people adoring him all the time.

• Love 2

I had no idea that pudding was so popular. My neighborhood is a little behind on the trends though, we just got a Starbucks around two years ago and I heard rumors that we might be getting a cupcake place soon. I'm intrigued by this pudding renaissance!

Rice to Riches opened in 2003 (and was probably part of a money-laundering operation) so I don't think pudding shops are a trend so much as just one of those weird little businesses that populate New York but probably wouldn't work outside of a big city.

• Love 3

Actually, my take on it was the opposite.  She wants Adam but her friendship with Hannah was holding her back.  So she "broke up" with Hanhah.

• Love 6

I think Jessa wanted to sleep with Adam s she created drama (or reacted differently to the usual drama) with Hannah so she could break the supposed girl code.  After all, if they're not friends, Adam is fair play.   

Yes.  This.

• Love 1

I agree.  I think what Jessa said to Hannah re: everyone always catering to her, her acting entitled to it, etc -- she is sick and tired of being friends with her.  She definitely broke up with Hannah so she could feel free to be with Adam. 

Edited by LilaFowler
  • Love 2

Actually, I also thought the bit with Dil handing his card through the limo window to Elijah last episode was very SATC. If Dil is Big, Elijah's in for a mess of trouble.

Gay or straight, IMO it's no fun having sex with someone barking directions like a traffic cop.

• Love 2

Dill is loosely-based on Anderson Cooper. They got the "topping-from-the-bottom" correct.

Ok, I was actually thinking Elijah was more bottoming from the top.  Or, topping from the top?  I couldn't really tell how they were situated.  I guess one could top from the bottom... I am over-thinking this.

Rice to Riches on Spring St! I love that place.

Is it only rice pudding?  I like pudding, but not really in love with rice pudding.

• Love 1

I'd never heard of a rice pudding shop -- or is it all kinds of pudding? -- but I would go into one in a heartbeat. BTW, what kinds did Hannah and Jessa get? I heard something French toast for Hannah.

I thought Jessa was pretty interesting this ep, though I was disappointed she went to have sex with Adam. I mean, I understood her being so curt, distant, and rude to Hannah. For one thing, Jessa WAS trying to study but was cajoled by Hannah to go out for pudding. But also, of course, she was trying to stay away from Adam out of respect to Hannah, so she was resentful of Hannah and lashing out at her. I think she was subconsciously pushing Hannah away. I don't think this was a plan of hers, to cut ties with Hannah so she'd be free to have sex with Adam. I think her look at the end, as Adam slept, was one of remorse for hurting Hannah.

I liked the realism of their sex scene. That was great.

I also liked the sex scene betw Dill and Elijah. It was funny and showed more of Dill's personality. Seems like he's a controlling or demanding person.

I don't care too much about Marnie and Desi. I agree with others about the WTF-ness of him remodeling an apartment Marnie is renting. How can you do that? I did like the line where he says that when she said she wanted more space she meant privacy. How obnoxious to tell someone what s/he meant.

I also liked seeing Heather from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Funny, when I saw her walking down the stairs, I really wondered why she wasn't in West Covina. Duh.

As far as Hannah and Fran... It was wrong of Fran to mark up the student's paper. It was wrong of Hannah to pull him out of class to answer the student's questions. It was wrong to make it all personal in front of the student. But then, that's Hannah.

Whoever mentioned it, it's a great idea for Dill to tweet about Ray's coffee shop. Oh, and I can see better in this ep how Ray is stuck in the past. Rather than trying to come up with a way to bring in customers, he just sits and whines.

• Love 1

I know the point was conflict between Fran and Hannah, but I'm with Fran on the grading issue.  Years ago my then-in-6th-grade nephew brought home a school assignment story he'd written that was full of spelling and grammatical errors.  When I commented on it, his mother told me that the assignment was about creativity and the teacher didn't want to stifle that by having the students distracted with writing correctly.  Fast forward to now, and the kid's in the Navy, married, father of two, and while verbally articulate enough, can barely put together a written sentence.  Maybe related, maybe not.

While I personally subscribe to Fran's philosophy, marking up the papers of Hannah's students is way out of bounds.

OTOH, I do agree that assignment designed to foster creativity shouldn't be too rigid in that regard, as long as grammar is dealt with in other assignments.

• Love 1
Gay or straight, IMO it's no fun having sex with someone barking directions like a traffic cop.

It didn't seem like it was very fun for Elijah, did it?  The whole date felt a little off to me.  For whatever reason, I thought the romp and make out session in Times Square felt more like Dill putting on some kind of show, than a natural moment between the two. 

As far as Hannah and Fran... It was wrong of Fran to mark up the student's paper. It was wrong of Hannah to pull him out of class to answer the student's questions. It was wrong to make it all personal in front of the student. But then, that's Hannah.

I was angry with Fran for making me be on Hannah's side, but thankfully Hannah responded to Fran's action in the most inappropriate way possible, so all was right with the world again.  I also continue to be amazed that Hannah has kept her teaching job. 

• Love 5

I've watched this episode a second time, and the scene between Jessa and Hannah really rang true for me. I don't even think Jessa went out expecting to break up with Hannah, her frustration and anger just took over and she became nastier and nastier. I've actually had this happen to me and a former friend, too many years of bottled up resentment finally blew. To me, that's why she was shaking when she got to Adam's, it wasn't calculated, it was spontaneous and hit her hard.

Oh, also, I'm now addicted to the Old Loves Tumblr.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 1

Is a school or a middle school teacher suppose to teach creativity or fundamental things like grammar?

Ideally, both. But not always at the same time.

What type of school is this?

IIRC, it's a Catholic school.

• Love 1

I agree. Hannah is a horrible teacher because of her lack of boundaries, good lord. 

If she had boundaries I believe she'd be an awesome English teacher, even a drama teacher, cause if anyone knows drama it's her. But the boundary issue will always get in her way.

However, she was right in this case.  The assignment was about the kids just letting their creative juices flow. It's about trust, she told them not to worry about the technicalities because when you do that while writing, I believe it interrupts the thought process, the flow of creativity. So if she returns their papers with a bunch of grammatical corrections then they can't trust her.  Especially the high functioning kids, the overachievers, they don't want to hear it and it will send them into a tizzy. 

She told them that the assignment would not be judged on technicalities, but then she does exactly that and returns their papers with a bunch of red marks judging them on their grammar/syntax etc...?  As long as a teacher gives more assignments that stress the technical and that goes across  the board in every subject than the kids should be fine. The problem is if Hannah gives nothing but a bunch of creative writing assignments and never teaches the basics. Which unfortunately, I can see her doing cause I don't think balance is a strong suit of hers.

Fran, butt out and Hannah, but out of Fran's phone.  

If you can't handle it get ready to send him packing.  By the way, I agree with Hannah, no way in hell do I want to find your old naked girlfriends' pictures on your phone. Yeah, I'm not letting that go, but I'm letting you go. He's not a bad guy at all IMO, but no, just no. 

Desi and Marnie for the funny in this episode.  Desi is a nut, and when he couldn't get that shirt off and cried about how he couldn't even do that right OMG, I could not stop laughing. However, on a more serious note, Desi seems headed for a breakdown and does look like he could be capable of strangling Marnie in her sleep. 

Marnie is an idiot, run, just run girl.

Adam and Jessa, whatever.

Elijah and Dil were very romantic with the kiss out on the street. I hope that guy isn't playing him, I hope it's real. This has gotta be going somewhere and I just hope it's no where tragic.

The kiss on the street made me wonder, "who is Dil getting even with?" Because this will be out there, now. Elijah will be in some paparazzi-style magazine article as Dil's new boy toy, and there may be an old boy toy out there who's surprised at the news. What I loved, was Dil saying "you shouldn't." Sexiest, most romantic moment ever on the show.

Jessa and Adam...sigh. Exactly what I thought they'd do--her on top, on the couch...what on earth?

Marnie needs to just move and not tell Desi where she went. seriously, girl, just, go to France or something. Go visit Shosh. Go anywhere but that stupid apartment. Desi's sounding not long for this world. He's really a strange person.

Ray needs to change up his business. No one's coming in? OK, add a new line of coffees without lids. Get in some trans poets and writers to do readings and signings. Get in some music acts, some artists, something. Something to bring people into the store. What happened to his councilman job? Maybe he should have some events at the store. Something. But don't just sit there worrying and going out of business. Adapt. Maybe Shosh could help, long distance.

This time Hannah is right. Yes, she should teach grammar. No, every assignment isn't about that, and Fran has absolutely NO right to impose the parameters of his assignments onto Hannah.

• Love 1

I often watch previous seasons of Girls when they have them on flights I take.

They do a pretty good job of planting the seeds.  Can't say I ever noticed it but it would be interesting to go back and see how Jessa and Adam interacted a couple of seasons ago.

Same thing with Marnie and Ray.

Elijah seemed to be blasé about relationships most of the time so him swooning over Dill (hope that's not how he spells it but whatever) seems unexpected.  But again maybe in older episodes, there are hints of him likely to be reacting this way.  Elijah also doesn't seem to be the type to be impressed by night skyline views.