Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Bezgranichnyy

I also want Piper to live because Haig is just luminous, and the character is indeed interesting. There is also the fact that the actress is likely rather more available than Bradley Cooper, and the show needs equals for Brian to bounce off. Heck, personally, I want the show to throw the trainingwheels into a black hole, shatter the bottle the genie came from and just make NTZ and the booster available over the bloody counter, but I recognize that asking for a show that is set in that world is probably unreasonable. Still, the setting needs adjusting anyway, so.. options:

A: Piper was lying her panties off, the pill she gave Brian wasn't NTZ. it was NTZ + version 2.3 of the Booster shot. The permanent formulation.

She was stealing seeds for an entirely separate endeavor into biochemistry. I dunno. Immortality?

This breaks Morra's hold on him, which means they can make that relationship overtly antagonistic, and keep Brian working for the feds. This works both if they kill Piper (there is no way she does not have  "in the event of my death" mailings set up) and if they keep her as an occasional guest star, and mean they can keep the FBI set and the acting talent tied to that. 

B: Kill Morra, slot Piper into his place as a non-replicable source of booster shots. - this keeps the structure of the show very, very similar. 

The important thing is that they change something, because with Rebecca knowing about Morra, the current setup is just a complete non-starter. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 1

Yep, or 'limitless', which i guess what they were going for. Although it should be transcribed as 'bezgranichnyi' (if singular) or 'bezgranichnye' (if plural).

Fun fact: in Russia, the show is actually for some reason called "Zones of Darkness", or something like that.

• Love 4

Couldn't watch Tuesday, just got the chance to see it today.

This was not one of my favorites. The beginning was interesting (drunk history was funny but he talked too much and gave away too many secrets and now everyone is in mortal danger because of it. The Russians now know about NZT and that ain't good), the middle was seriously slow and the ending was wack as hell.

I am really curious to see how they get this one back on track.

Please show. Don't start screwing up now that you've hooked me.

• Love 1

To my eye it looked like they actually shot at least some of this in St. Petersburg? I had me a week of watching some spectacularly bad green screening so it stuck out. Unless I'm actually going blind and thus have been fooled.

I may be misremembering, but didn't Morra arrange for Piper to shoot at him but not to kill him so that he gained attention and the sympathy vote?

Piper really did attempt to kill him.  She formally worked for Morra, and she accuses him in the death of her significant other.  She was on NZT in the assassination attempt, and Morra was as well.  He was able to subtly dodge the shot, receiving a minor injury.  He considered avoiding it entirely, but decided the near miss would make a better story.  Morra and Sands did deliberately impede the criminal investigation into the assassination attempt, and even fabricated a story with a scapegoat sniper who was dying.  Morra believes that he is acting for the greater good.

Piper stole a certain number of NZT pills before leaving, and she and Brian used the last of them this episode if I understood correctly.  She needs to be able to make the immunity shot if she's going to be able to use the pills for much longer.

• Love 2

To my eye it looked like they actually shot at least some of this in St. Petersburg? I had me a week of watching some spectacularly bad green screening so it stuck out. Unless I'm actually going blind and thus have been fooled.

I think it was a few seconds of stock footage.

The only one who calmly decided to exclude Brian because he wasn't living up to expectations was... Rebecca!

She gave the appearance of being calm, I'll grant you. Not everyone erupts, some people contain the rage and hurt and appear calm and in control. Rebecca strikes me as that kind of person.

As a George RR Martin fan (of the books, and of the series), I really enjoyed the ending of the books being dangled as bait. Such a small thing, but that and Drunk History made my day.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

^^^True about Rebecca maybe being more emotional than appeared. 

As for GRR, and the real ending of the series...I told my librarian I figured one of us was going to die before it's finished, so I'm not starting it. (Didn't like the first two episodes of the series, not finding throwing a boy out of a tower funny nor that girl being surprised by sex with her new husband even after her brother made a speech saying he'd have her raped by an army if it got him what he wanted. Pretending she wasn't listening was just wallowing in it, I thought. I asked myself, is this really entertaining?)

• Love 2

I never got past the first part of the first book. Incest is not sexy to me. Nor interesting. So I've never seen one episode and I never will understand why it's so popular. It's disgusting...

I never got past the first part of the first book. Incest is not sexy to me. Nor interesting. So I've never seen one episode and I never will understand why it's so popular. It's disgusting...

It's not written as sexy. The reader is expected to be disgusted. It sets them up, right away, as bad people. It gets more complicated later, but the incest and throwing the boy out the window are villainous acts. The books are a fairly fascinating (to me) examination of complex monarchical politics, personalities, motivations and how they impact both the powerful and their subjects. It's not for everyone, but excepting the magical beasts, it's not unlike reading British history. God knows keeping track of all the players is difficult at best.

In any case, I thought using the long awaited ending to a fantasy series as a bribe to a Russian was a hoot.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

We don't exactly know the FBI plans for NZT, do we? Or who in the chain of command is interested in it? It's not hard to make assumptions about why a government run agency is interested in a drug that powerful.

This episode cleverly exposed NZT to a Russian mafia group, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that pop up again in future seasons.

I'm still wondering exactly who sent that photograph to Sands.

My take was that Sands bought the info off the Russian informants that Brian was using. 

But how did the russian informants even know about sands, much less have his phone number, or know that Piper was presumed dead? He blabbed all that to the informant when he was drunk?

The Russians didn't know about Sands. But Sands was almost definitely looking for Brian. The FBI was able to track him down to Moscow, presumably Sands did also, and from there he found the same people Brian went to for info.

That's my read on it anyway. 

The Russians didn't know about Sands. But Sands was almost definitely looking for Brian. The FBI was able to track him down to Moscow, presumably Sands did also, and from there he found the same people Brian went to for info.

That's my read on it anyway. 

The Russians sold information for money and they were connected, which is why Brian went to them. It's no surprise that Sands would go to them too and also pay them money.