Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Bezgranichnyy

When Brian's closest relationships implode due to his inability to cut ties with Eddie Morra, he goes rogue from the FBI to free himself from the senator's control. In Russia, he searches for Piper, Morra's former associate turned adversary, and her alternative NZT vaccine. Also, Rebecca comes closer to discovering Brian's connection to NZT and Senator Morra.

Man... I so love this show ! 

Each time they keep amazing be with all those clever tricks of editing, writing and directing ! 

I was so sure Piper was a goner during the episode, but I'm glad she lives to see another day ! Really liked the chemistry between her and Brian ! But well, now Sands (and so Morra) knows she's alive... things are still gonna heat up !

And Brian's dad continues to be an ass... somehow I can understand where he comes from but damn, he's really acting like a jerk !

And glad to see Rebecca's really moved by Brian's departure and continues to care about him after last episode's reveals.

• Love 2

Yay to Brian's father for standing up for him!

Yeesh, why did Rachel still have to go rat out Brian even MORE to Rebecca???

If Brian was emailing Rebecca to tell him he's alive, why was everyone still so nervous about his whereabouts? They all knew he was alive?

Who sent that photo to Sands???

OOOOH! Next week should be good. Won't spoil the preview but it's gooood.

Edited by Big Mother

Not a bad caper.  I'm glad Brian commented on the philosophical similarities between Morra and Piper.  He really does seem to be an exception to the NZT rule as far as ambition goes.

I'm glad they charged ahead with the reveal to Sands that Piper is alive and the reveal to Rebecca that Brian is in league with Sands.  Those are some confrontations in the making, and I can't wait to see them.

I loved it when Mike plugged in the Christmas lights.

• Love 3

-  Loved that opening.  All the characters 'acting' out Brian's impressions of them.  This show kills it when doing stuff like that.

-  They are really going to draw this out on making us wonder about Piper, aren't they?  I don't trust her - she may not be "bad", however I believe she's mostly about just herself & will string Brian along to help her on the way to fulfilling her own goals and ambitions - but its hard to tell.  And now Sands knows she's not dead.

-  Brian 'recommits' to Rebecca (& the FBI) as she is finding out about his association with Sands [we'll pretend that the time-of-day in each location (NY & Russia) was different, despite the visual evidence to the contrary].  The fallout of that revelation will be good times to watch.

-  The family especially Mom and Dad can absolutely go Frick themselves.  They KICKED HIM OUT of the house while telling him he wasn't wanted - and yes, Dad was part of that by not speaking up on Brian's behalf at the time - and now they are all up in arms and concerned because he's not there.  Seriously, what the fricking hell is that?!  LOL with angry derision @ the Finches (not named Brian; although Rachel slightly redeemed herself by finally coming forward).  Then having the gall to blame Rebecca, when 90% of the real blame lays on their own welcome mat.  I was trying to be nice and just disagree (vehemently) with them, but I think I really do hate his parents now.  Keep them off the show as much as possible, please.

• Love 7

-  The family especially Mom and Dad can absolutely go Frick themselves.  They KICKED HIM OUT of the house while telling him he wasn't wanted - and yes, Dad was part of that by not speaking up on Brian's behalf at the time - and now they are all up in arms and concerned because he's not there.  Seriously, what the fricking hell is that?!  LOL with angry derision @ the Finches (not named Brian; although Rachel slightly redeemed herself by finally coming forward).  Then having the gall to blame Rebecca, when 90% of the real blame lays on their own welcome mat.  I was trying to be nice and just disagree (vehemently) with them, but I think I really do hate his parents now.  Keep them off the show as much as possible, please.

I was so hoping Rebecca would chime in with a "you're the ones who kicked him out" knockdown but realise that wouldn't be appropriate in her position. Would have been satisfying though.

This wasn't my favourite episode. The wackiness in the beginning came too close to an exposition dump for me and I wanted the episode to begin. Also, I found Brian's decision at the end totally inexplicable. There's only a week or so until she has the drug ready but he's going to go back to the situation he was running from while he waits? I mean, if she said that synthesising it took 6 months I'd understand his decision but a week?

He wanted to come back no longer under Morra's thumb? He could in only a week or so.

One thing I did like was that the heist planning was off NZT. That suggests he could be an asset without.

I found Piper's "NZT is the future" followed by him popping a pill to be an excellent and subtle continuation of this show's themes of addiction. The "future" is apparently a cocktail of drugs to jack you up and deal with the negative side effects. Not the rosiest picture.

• Love 3

I was so hoping Rebecca would chime in with a "you're the ones who kicked him out" knockdown but realise that wouldn't be appropriate in her position. Would have been satisfying though.

That would have been awesome, but yes, she really couldn't.  What I really want to know is why the family knew he was 'missing' before she came to the house.  Is it regulation to notify the family they are unaware of their asset's whereabouts, or...??  Still think its ultra hyprocritical to care about him after basically disowning him (until they were good enough to forgive him for being a big boy who could make his own decisions).

Also, I found Brian's decision at the end totally inexplicable. There's only a week or so until she has the drug ready but he's going to go back to the situation he was running from while he waits? I mean, if she said that synthesising it took 6 months I'd understand his decision but a week?

Or it could be - and this is my own interpretation and take on things - that Brian is maybe wondering whether he can really trust Piper that far, she did seem pretty unaffected by and disagreed with his whole "so hey, let's go be 'a thing' & be normal, and drop all this";  with her going on about "how NZT is the only way now" & "I don't love (anymore)" was an eye-opener for him, or should have been.  Plus, I think he knew that the longer he put off going back, the worse it will be for him [on all sides].  Was the one week Piper told him it would take to finish the enzyme shot a guarantee?  I don't remember, but if it wasn't, it was more about 'hedging bets'.  Again, that's how I viewed it.  YMMV

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

One thing I did like was that the heist planning was off NZT. That suggests he could be an asset without.

This^!  He's childish, but not stupid.  (I also 'awwww'ed at Mike turning on the lights. Ike? I'm not sure how to read him in tonight's episode. He wanted to help, but he looked... off? IDK.)

I think his parents need to be kept from Brian. Yelling at Rebecca, the agent asking questions on a possible lead, but these Mensa giants are keeping Rachel the Betrayer silent because they all of a sudden want Brian back?!  The man that Mom couldn't handle, look at or deal with so she threw his ass out and banished? ::rme:: I'm not sure how to read Rachel going to Rebecca. Part of me feels that it is a good thing to do, if Rachel wants Brian back in the States. If Rachel is doing it just because she feels guilty about the aftermath of her tattling, then not so good, but she at least went to Rebecca and got the Sands/Morra thing hopping on that end.

All the Russian stuff was okay. I will accept that Brian was good enough to make enough cash to fake their supposed status, but  the guy letting Brian play the heirloom balalaika? Not as easily, but it was fun to see Brian work the crowd and cover.

Naz is cool. Her talk to Rebecca about the sudden vacation request was great and reminded me how much I enjoy MEM.

• Love 1

This^!  He's childish, but not stupid.  (I also 'awwww'ed at Mike turning on the lights. Ike? I'm not sure how to read him in tonight's episode. He wanted to help, but he looked... off? IDK.)

I noticed that too.  I couldn't tell if he was acting odd, or just subconsciously acting kinda like Brian.  I think Brian is rubbing off on Ike & Mike, more and more (something like osmosis), what with things like them describing situations to Naz with clay models and Mike turning on the strung lights 'cause "it just didn't feel the same without them on".

• Love 2

Brian's dad continues to be an ass... somehow I can understand where he comes from but damn, he's really acting like a jerk !

Yay to Brian's father for standing up for him!

Although I can't decide in this season of primaries whether Bernie or Hillary is best, I do vote in this episode "Yay to Brian's father for standing up for him!" rather than him being a jerk.
  • Love 1

The family especially Mom and Dad can absolutely go Frick themselves.

I'm highly annoyed at the entire family.  Last week, they expressed total distrust, betrayed his confidences, and ejected him from their home.  At least Mommy did, while Dad stood in silent support of it all.  This week, Brian's father wants to get all accusatory, and heap the blame for his absence on the FBI?  On Rebecca specifically?  Declaring they'll only talk if summonsed?  I know Rebecca was at fault last week, by expecting a degree of personal loyalty from Brian which she was clearly unwilling to match.  But why are the family -- Dad verbally and Mommy in silent support, this time -- so quick this week to protect Brian's privacy, and acknowledge the FBI's part in Brian's situation, when last week, their attitude was the exact opposite?

And OMFG, Rachel once again, blabbing to the authorities about incidents Brian asked her in the strongest terms, to hold in strictest confidence?  Right after Dad says the family is done talking?

The "future" is apparently a cocktail of drugs to jack you up and deal with the negative side effects. Not the rosiest picture.

No kidding!  Just ask THX 1138!

Tell you the truth, if I were given drugs which increased my cognitive ability by 2,000% or more, while presenting no recognizable deleterious side effects... I would want more.  I would want a lifetime supply.    I can't believe anyone would say "No, thanks.  I'd rather be my dumb, old self again!"  In practice, I take drugs every day, because they make my life better.  Pain killers, cholesterol meds, stuff for acid-reflux...   I don't think there is anything morally or ethically wrong with that.  If the future presents me with more drugs to make my life even better still, that would be pretty rosy!

• Love 5

Brian's family is full of shit. They're mad Brian disappeared and are mad at the FBI for it? They seemed to have conveniently forgotten when they told him to kick bricks last week. What did they think was going to happen? He'd keep in touch? Give me a break with the indignation. His family continues to drag this series down. Did the dad have a point? Sure, but he completely ignored everything that him and his family did to drive Brian away, which was a major reason why he ran, so getting indignant about the FBI doesn't carry nearly as much weight when you're also majorly at fault. 

I get it, you cast Ron Rifkin and Blair Brown as Brian's parents and you are giddy to use them. Trust me, as a diehard fan of both Alias and Fringe, I get it more than most. But this has just become too much. The way they are using them hasn't made sense since the beginning and now it's getting inconsistent as well. Changes need to come for next season.

The sister is just awful. How many freaking times did Brian have to tell you to keep your trap shut so you'd have known to actually keep your nosy ass shut? I mean, my goodness, it's like she took out a freaking ad at this point she's blabbed so many times. She's annoying me like main character's kids who get too much unnecessary screen time typically do on other shows.

Rebecca being all distraught about him missing is also ridiculous. She violated his trust last week and got another assignment and ditched him as a partner, and now she's surprised he's not just at her beck and call anymore and maybe would do something a bit out there? She claims to know Brian, but she can't possibly with her panicking this week after the way she treated him last week. This was completely foreseeable if you know Brian at all, Russia would have been hard to guess, but unexpected and can't easily find is expected. She should have realized before she miscalculated in her approach to question him. Her sudden introspection this week felt really late in the game.

I'm looking forward to next week based on the previews, but really think the show has gone in the wrong direction the last few weeks. To me, they need to work to repair Rebecca's relationship with Brian in particular if this is going to continue to work as well as it had until this point. Because at this point, it seems clear that even she who professed to be on his side, cares more about his value as a weapon to the FBI, than about him.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 3

I know it's not in Brian's nature, but he shouldn't have bothered saving his father's life. His father has never shown an ounce of gratitude. On the contrary, from the beginning, he's only nagged and goaded and demanded to know how Brian did it, and once Brian broke down and told him about the NZT, all the old man heard was, "My son's on illegal drugs!" Apparently there are two expressions he's never heard: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth," and "Take the win and walk away." Poor Brian can't tell him the whole truth, that Morra is responsible for his predicament, not Rebecca.

In the "prequel" (movie), Morra rose to control his own life and to be able to defend himself. I don't remember him ruthlessly using people like this. I thought NZT was supposed to let you see "the greater good." It has certainly helped Brian to be a kinder, more caring version of himself than the self-destructive hedonist he once was. Maybe Morra's version of the drug has side effects he doesn't realize. Or maybe it's just an example of the natural law that power corrupts.

I wonder how many more pieces of the puzzle rebecca needs to figure out that Morra is controlling Brian. And then what?

• Love 4

I know its not the most popular opinion, but I can't help but be on Rebecca's side and see things her way, re: betraying Brian's trust last week and the fallout... or at least, disagree that she's the one who's most at fault.

She laid down the 'trust each other/don't lie' foundation to him from the very beginning.  He didn't dispute her 'rule(s)', thus he formally agreed to those stipulations - basically that's an unwritten binding oath of agreement between acquaintances.  Rebecca put herself and her job on the line by convincing Naz to let Brian work at the CJC as a consultant, and then not long after, persuaded Naz into letting her take him on as her partner for field work - and then letting herself & the FBI be blackmailed to save his Dad by moving him up the kidney transplant list.  So it stands to reason that if it slips that these mysterious extra NZT pills that he won't give an explanation for (ie, lying) and it gets back to Naz & the higher ups, its her butt on the line since she's his handler.  Not difficult to believe or understand why she'd be upset for more than just his withholding info/lying because its a betrayal between them personally.  And while it could be argued that its her fault for losing sight of her professionalism (re: Brian), it just adds the extra complication that she cares for him on a personal level, so it compounds the problems for the professional/work aspect of her life, but also hurts her that he feels he can't/won't come to her in confidence about things going on in his private life that could affect him & his relationship with a federal agency negatively.   And now with all this stuff about Morra/Sands she's finding out about......

(IMO) I think they are both at fault for the situation, but I can't blame Rebecca any more than Brian; even less so, actually, when looking at all known factors.

• Love 7

Eh, Brian was asking her to keep a secret which was treasonous. Morra is an enemy of the state, possibly of mankind in general. Now the sister does not know that, but Brian vanished off the face of the earth, which is suspicious as hell. There are actual bloody limits to family loyalty, and this situation goes way beyond them.

I didn't like her telling her parents much, but Rebecca? Rebecca has an actual right to know. If Brian was telling the truth and Sands was an undercover agent, he'd be an undercover agent for the FBI, so telling her would do no harm, and note that she did try to keep that conversation discrete, even if it did end with Rebecca putting up Sands face on the giant monitor. 

I also think Rebecca now knows.. Everything. She suspected Morra of being on NZT. Having Morra's security chief treat Brian as his own personal asset means all the ducks line up and the logic becomes really straight forward. Morra's on NZT. Morra has been on NZT for a very long time and shows no sign of sideeffects. Brian is working for Morra, and also show no sign of side effects.. At this point, Rebecca will deduce the existence of the shot, or more precisely, that a thing like the shot exists, and that Brian is getting it from Morra. 

The only question is if she will deduce that he is being blackmailed, or will assume he is a willing pawn. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 5

I loved Brian's Drunk History recap at the beginning and it was fun that it continued to be sober history recaps. Nice caper in Russia. Mike and Ike's fondness of Brian is sweet. Curious what Rebecca's reaction is gonna be when she meets up with Brian. Will she be super angry or worried disappointed that he didn't tell her?

• Love 3

I loved Brian's Drunk History recap at the beginning and it was fun that it continued to be sober history recaps. Nice caper in Russia. Mike and Ike's fondness of Brian is sweet. Curious what Rebecca's reaction is gonna be when she meets up with Brian. Will she be super angry or worried disappointed that he didn't tell her?

My guess is both, but more worried/disappointed than super angry.

I also think Rebecca now knows.. Everything. She suspected Morra of being on NZT. Having Morra's security chief treat Brian as his own personal asset means all the ducks line up and the logic becomes really straight forward. Morra's on NZT. Morra has been on NZT for a very long time and shows no sign of sideeffects. Brian is working for Morra, and also show no sign of side effects.. At this point, Rebecca will deduce the existence of the shot, or more precisely, that a thing like the shot exists, and that Brian is getting it from Morra. 

The only question is if she will deduce that he is being blackmailed, or will assume he is a willing pawn. 

That very well could be that Rebecca has now pretty much put all the pieces together.  She's been portrayed as smart enough to do that.  I just hope that they (continue to) write her as smart enough to confront Brian about it first, before just automatically assuming he's a willing participant in Morra's web of deceit and illegal activities.

• Love 1

She laid down the 'trust each other/don't lie' foundation to him from the very beginning.  He didn't dispute her 'rule(s)', thus he formally agreed to those stipulations - basically that's an unwritten binding oath of agreement between acquaintances.

I don't see it that way.  Brian acted in a way to benefit the public good.  Knowing this, the FBI extorted him with threats of incarceration, into being their NZT guinnea-pig.  The fact that they were strong-arming him tells me that he didn't owe them any loyalty at all.  Rebecca demanded total honesty and reliability from Brian, but her recent actions show she believed it to be entirely one-way.

What do you do when someone puts a gun to your head and demands a promise?  You lie to them, and wait until you get a chance to slip a blade into their back.  The fact that Brian has tried to live up to the promise forced from his lips -- within the on-going framework of his own life -- is to his credit.  If he wasn't able to live up to her expectations every single minute, well, she shouldn't have expected him to, given how his promise was extracted from him.  And how one-sided it was.   Rebecca got exactly what she deserved.  And her moralistic stance is doubly laughable,  because when Brian transgresses in some way, it's only an issue when she doesn't benefit personally, in the form of her father's NZT file, for instance.  So, she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Eh, Brian was asking her to keep a secret which was treasonous. Morra is an enemy of the state, possibly of mankind in general.

That's one hell of a leap!  I'm not aware of one thing that Morra has done which could get him classified as an enemy of the state. What crimes has he committed?  He uses NZT to his own benefit.  He doesn't steal his supply from the FBI, and as far as I can tell, NZT is not a scheduled drug and therefore cannot be illegal.  He threatened Brian early in the series, but has never acted on those threats.  And he has subsequently told Brian the threats were hollow, a test only.  He provided an antidote to the lethal side-effects of the dangerous drug the FBI were forcing on Brian.   He probably lied to the cops about the details of the assassination attempt.  Is lying to the cops actually a crime at all?  Doctoring the evidence would be illegal, but hardly Enemy-of-the-State illegal.  He employs Sands, but what political big-wig (far less presidential candidate) doesn't have a fixer at his beck-and-call?

Really, I don't know of anything that would justify him being considered a threat to the nation, far less to mankind itself.  I'll admit the part of Morra has been played in a very ominous way, but I've not seen anything to convince me that he isn't set to come out of this a hero.  

• Love 3

The typical senators fixer doesn't kill people. Sands does, and Morra can't claim ignorance of that, so, Blackmail, conspiracy, subversion of federal agencies, felony murder. A lot of counts of felony murder. As far as Rebecca is concerned Morra is the kind of guy it is her job to drop into a federal prison from a great height. 

That covers "enemy of the state". 

Enemy of all mankind status comes simply from keeping the ntz shot secret. Because that's a major, major crime. 

The typical senators fixer doesn't kill people. Sands does...

Is there clear evidence that Sands has killed anyone on behest of Morra?    Who?   Puffer-fish Guy?  It has been suggested that Sands got to him, but we never actually saw that.  The writers have been careful to imply that Sands is a killer, but the only person who has definitely tried to murder anyone that we saw, was Piper.

Enemy of all mankind status comes simply from keeping the ntz shot secret. Because that's a major, major crime. 

No, that's business.  Like buying and suppressing the design of the 1,000-m.p.g carburetor.  If you invent the cure for the common cold, you don't have to release it for sale.  Selling patent cold remedies may be more profitable.

I'm not saying Morra isn't a devil.  I'm saying that while he has been portrayed in that light, it's been done in such a way that there is still the possibility he will turn out to be a saint.

• Love 4

Morra is an enemy of the state, possibly of mankind in general. 

Except of course we who've seen the movie know that there is someone else suppressing NZT use by murdering all its dealers and users. I've hypothesized that NZT is on occasion deliberately released to recruit new brains. It's hard to see how anyone can see much money in dealing NZT when it kills most users. At any rate, any revolutionary changes not controlled by the government are generally deemed criminal. 

Which brings me to the biggest plot development in the episode: There definitely is no NZT withdrawal, meaning there is no problem with taking NZT temporarily, until the side effects become too severe. NZT should of course be used on a mass scale, or at least as large as the need for close medical supervision allows. Naz, Rebecca, Boyle, Mike (but probably not Ike, because,) can take turns doing Brian's job. 

Piper's desire to control how NZT becomes a part of society is the same as Morra's. This is, according to the show so far, evil. Brian's desire to avoid this thematically is an endorsement of the society as it is, to go on forever without change. Brian rejects Piper for being evil and goes back to Rebecca the guardian of the status quo. Rachel confesses Brian's crimes to Rebecca so that she can bring him back and restore things as they are. 

I suppose next week we see if the people who killed NZT dealers and users in the movie no longer exist (for whatever reason.) If they're gone, it's just Morra being evil. Except, what ever has he got Brian for?

As to the excitement over the family, I always thought the so-called rejection was more mom having a meltdown than anything else. The extremely childish appearance of Brian in his fantasy of them praising him I thought a visual way of showing how removed from a true representation of the family situation it really is. As for Dad blasting Rebecca, I'm with Naz. I too think he was guilt tripping her. I think he was really worried about the legal implications of the Sands incident for Brian, and desperate to get somebody to think of Brian as a victim.

Rebecca should figure out the essential, and Rebecca should go to Naz for directions on how to proceed. Naz is smart enough to wonder how voluntary Brian's work as Morra's agent is. And smart enough to wonder what that work is.

PS Suppressing an advance for humanity may be legal business, but I don't think legal business is necessarily genuinely moral and just. But given the problems with lethal side effects, it's not clear that NZT should be widely released yet. If the enzyme somehow involves a rare plant that grows on radioactive soil (did I hear that right?) there may be an extreme limitation in the supply.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2

I'm confused about the whole 'withdrawal from nzt with no side effects' discontinuity. Wasnt brian sick and near-death early in the series for not getting his booster? If he'd have stopped taking nzt completely would he have gone back to normal? I was under the impression that a person cant stop nzt without severe side effects.

• Love 1

It's hard to see how anyone can see much money in dealing NZT when it kills most users.

Because NZT is not yet perfect.  What we do know is that NZT in combination with Morra's mysterious booster, is a mind-blowingly (literally) beneficial drug with no recognized detrimental effects.  Were it possible to combine the two into a single, simple pill, it would be the most sought-after pharmaceutical in the history of the world.

Which leads me to ask:  Why is the FBI so keen to suppress the development of this drug?

Piper shooting at the senator isn't even a surefire case of attempted murder, because she was on NTZ at the time and the senator is *not dead*. Lens Flare? Really? We are supposed to buy that was accidental? This is kind of a problem with writing people with extreme intelligence - it becomes very difficult to discern which courses of events were intended to play out that way and which were genuine failures. 

I think the show is implying that you can take a few pills and stop without physical consequences. The issue is mostly psychological addiction. Once you've been on NTZ, the average person would literally rather die than stop. Piper is avoiding suiciding in this way because she has a plan to get the booster shots again. 

Eh, the plant is not really an obstacle to mass production - radiating a field or putting the Chernobyl environs's under plow would be expensive, but.. you know, not expensive enough to be a show-stopper. 

Uhm. It occurs to me that the logical next plotpoint *is* Rebecca, Naz, Boyle and Mike all taking NTZ to sort this clusterfuck out. That would be fun

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 3

I'm highly annoyed at the entire family.  Last week, they expressed total distrust, betrayed his confidences, and ejected him from their home.  At least Mommy did, while Dad stood in silent support of it all.  This week, Brian's father wants to get all accusatory, and heap the blame for his absence on the FBI?  On Rebecca specifically?  Declaring they'll only talk if summonsed?

To be fair, Brian's father has been consistent in blaming the FBI for whatever he thinks is wrong with Brian. It isn't so much the drugs it's that the FBI is feeding him these drugs and both mother and father feel Brian is making "bad choices" by allowing the FBI to use him this way.

I'm surprised how quickly this show has moved past a formulaic case of the week for Brian to solve, and this episode felt like a total game changer. I don't see how he can just slip back into the FBI after running off like that, especially now that Rebecca has connected the dots back to Morra and Sands.

I also don't remember how Piper is able to take NZT without the booster shots. Did she get an especially long-lasting one or something before she went off the grid? I'm having trouble remembering her history.

• Love 2

Eh, the plant is not really an obstacle to mass production - radiating a field or putting the Chernobyl environs's under plow would be expensive, but.. you know, not expensive enough to be a show-stopper. 

Not to mention that if they got a sample to analyze, they could almost certainly synthesize the necessary compounds.  It might be expensive, but NZT is a No-Amount-Is-Too-Much type of drug.

• Love 1

Yikes. I don't know how the writers can get Brian out of his current situation. Sands and Rebecca know the truth and there is no way to take that back.

From next week's previews, Brian is in love now? A few sexy times and a week together- not buying it.

I really want Brian's family to go away. They really are dragging down this show, and blaming the FBI for Brian running away when they kicked him out...no words.

I'm surprised how quickly this show has moved past a formulaic case of the week for Brian to solve, and this episode felt like a total game changer.

I hope so too, going forward.

• Love 1

This wasn't my favourite episode. The wackiness in the beginning came too close to an exposition dump for me and I wanted the episode to begin. Also, I found Brian's decision at the end totally inexplicable. There's only a week or so until she has the drug ready but he's going to go back to the situation he was running from while he waits? I mean, if she said that synthesising it took 6 months I'd understand his decision but a week?

Yeah, I didn't totally get that either. What has changed since the last episode that makes it okay for him to go home?

I'm confused about the whole 'withdrawal from nzt with no side effects' discontinuity. Wasnt brian sick and near-death early in the series for not getting his booster? If he'd have stopped taking nzt completely would he have gone back to normal? I was under the impression that a person cant stop nzt without severe side effects.

A person can't stop taking it without side effects, unless they have the booster that Morra created at certain intervals. He was sick when the booster started wearing off. But right now his booster is still working, so no side effects to not taking it.

Sen. Morra is evil by keeping Brian in thrall by ever-threatening to withhold his booster shot, which would send Brian into agonizing withdrawal, fatal or nearly so. And by Sands threatening to kill anyone Brian tells about their "arrangement."

As for the team members easily being able to replace Brian, there is a learning curve for handling the NZT brain power boost.

As for widespread NZT distribution, not everyone is kindhearted, altruistic and benevolent. Imagine an Adolph Hitler or Kim Jong-Un on NZT. I'm not sure why the FBI is involved in suppressing NZT and related drugs and not the DEA. In either case, decisions classifying illicit drugs come from Congress. As it could be used for evil, and withdrawal makes it in effect addictive, there is justification for banning it. Or there may be other motives. Let all eyes now turn suspiciously toward the Capitol.

I may be misremembering, but didn't Morra arrange for Piper to shoot at him but not to kill him so that he gained attention and the sympathy vote?

I like Brian, the flawed Everyman doubling as a superhero. So he has serial love interests -- so does James Bond. Who do you relate to more? At least Brian's women don't get blown up or drowned.

• Love 3

This show just gets better with every episode.  The "Drunk History" beginning was great.  I watched originally because Jennifer Carpenter is in it, but now I like McDorman a lot too, besides Salmon, Degnan and Mastrantonio.  What a great show!

If I recall correctly, (and I could very well be wrong), the side effects come mostly from the continuation of the NZT when the side effects begin.

I think in Brian's case? If he quit NZT cold turkey, never touching the stuff again while the shot was still in his sytem? He's be NZT-free and totally fine. BUT. If the started on NZT again after the shot wore off? He's back to side effects after the second pill.

You know guys? Y'all have a point...maybe...may....be....hmmm gotta wonder....

If Piper's taking NZT without side effects? She's holding out on Brian. And the boy is so whipped (he really does have a type doesn't he?) It hasn't occurred to him to question her endless supply of NZT, her apparent Immunity to the stuff while 'looking for a cure.'

Damn, sounds fishy don't it? Am I missing something, or does it sound to you like Piper's working for the people Morra's getting HIS supply from? There's a great big giant head cheese somewhere and we KNOW it ain't Morra. He's just another cog in the machine. High up in the machine for sure, but SOMEBODY'S giving HIM an endless supply of NZT. He's got a job to do too: Become President so the great big giant head cheese can rule by proxy. Sort of what Morra's doing to Brian and the FBI.

Geeze. I think I just discovered how they're gonna get Brian out of this one....

Man I love this show. Just when you think the writers have written themselves into a really dilly of a pickle this time? No logical way out? This show pulls a rabbit out of the hat that makes you go "DAMN!!! I DID NOT SEE THAT ONE COMING!!!"

Can. Not. WAIT to see what the writers come up with to get Brian out of this mess.

This is probably the only show I've ever in my LIFE couldn't wait for the freaking FINALE. It's going to be EPIC.

I can't see Brian going back to the FBI and MIke & Ike knowing everything he knows now...talk about trust issues all the way around...like trying to keep the marriage going when you caught him/her in bed with your sister. Can't unbreak that egg...

Sen. Morra is evil by keeping Brian in thrall by ever-threatening to withhold his booster shot, which would send Brian into agonizing withdrawal, fatal or nearly so. And by Sands threatening to kill anyone Brian tells about their "arrangement."

Suppose the FBI decided to give NZT to all agents.  Would Morra be expected to provide booster shots for them all?  No, Morra is under no obligation to provide a booster shot to Brian, just because the FBI are forcing Brian to take a dangerous drug.   If Brian wants to, he can refuse to take the NZT.  If withdrawal then kills him (and IIRC it is prolonged use, not withdrawal, that kills), it will be the FBI's fault.

As for widespread NZT distribution, not everyone is kindhearted, altruistic and benevolent. Imagine an Adolph Hitler or Kim Jong-Un on NZT. I'm not sure why the FBI is involved in suppressing NZT and related drugs and not the DEA.

Using that argument, you could ban any and all pharnaceuticals.  Suppose Adolph or Jong-Un had a heart condition?   Heart meds might keep them alive!  Obviously, heart meds must be prohibited.

Using that argument, you could ban any and all pharnaceuticals.  Suppose Adolph or Jong-Un had a heart condition?   Heart meds might keep them alive!  Obviously, heart meds must be prohibited.

There's a difference between keeping someone alive and turning them into a super-genius. 

• Love 2

There's a difference between keeping someone alive and turning them into a super-genius. 

Was what I was going to point out. So I'd see this as the difference between medicine and, say, performance enhancing drugs (I know there's a crossover there but work with me).

So, yeah, I have to take hypertensives and so do most of my family. And without them, most of my family would probably drop dead in their 40s. So by that definition we take "drugs" all the time. But that doesn't make me better; it normalises me.NZT doesn't treat any illness. It's more like a performance enhancing drug and, like a lot of those, is actively harmful. There's a reason why my hypertensive is legal (albeit regulated) but drugs used for doping are illegal.

I'm not saying that is the way it should be. I just think that there is a conceptual, ethical and legal difference between drugs that treat illness and disease and ones that extend human capabilities.

• Love 3

Because NZT is not yet perfect.  What we do know is that NZT in combination with Morra's mysterious booster, is a mind-blowingly (literally) beneficial drug with no recognized detrimental effects.  Were it possible to combine the two into a single, simple pill, it would be the most sought-after pharmaceutical in the history of the world.

Which leads me to ask:  Why is the FBI so keen to suppress the development of this drug?

As for widespread NZT distribution, not everyone is kindhearted, altruistic and benevolent. Imagine an Adolph Hitler or Kim Jong-Un on NZT.

I think it's more than that. There was some fibbie who took it and turned from nice guy to monster, right? I think people with Brian's personality type are uniquely qualified to take the drug. However, I can't picture Piper as a lazy, ADHD stoner pre-NZT, which screws up my premise.

Well, any fear that the humor will be gone now that Brian is away from the FBI/family, sure went away very quickly.  Loved the entire opening with him recapping everything using his versions of the respected characters.  It's hard to pick which part was my favorite, but it somewhere between Brian's awful, hilarious British accent for Sands and Piper coming off like some kind of seductive, femme fatale you seen in almost every action movie ever.  But I thought the entire cast nailed it.  Everyone just seems to be having a blast during these moments, which make it even better.

I did find it weird that Brian and Piper still had to resort to a caper of some kind, since I would think both of them on NZT could have found an easier way like more bribing or something to that nature.  Still, it was pretty fun.  While I'm not going to say Brian and Piper are the couple of the ages, I do like how they play off one another, so I hope Piper keeps hanging around and won't get dramatically killed off.  I don't want Georgina Haig to go anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned, Brian's entire family can go "flick (Mike and Ike!) themselves.  I can't believe his dad acted like Brian leaving was all on Rebecca and the FBI.  Yeah, I'm sure Rachel ratting him out, his mom yelling and pretty much disowning him, and you just sitting there letting it happen, didn't have any part in any of that.  Asshole.  If Brian knew what was good for him, he would never get near them again. They really seem toxic.  Now, with Rebecca, I still am a bit more understanding with her, because I can see why she acted the way she did with what information she was given, even if it was overkill on some levels.  But she at least seems to be acknowledging her part in this, so that puts her above the Family of Assholes.  Of course, that now might change since she now knows Brian's been working with Sands.  Uh oh!

I do like that Naz generally seems concern about Brian too.  And, of course, Mike and Ike as well.  They really miss him!

Sands, you bastard!  What are you going to do?!

For a brief second, I actually wondered if they were going to get George R.R. Martin to cameo.  Then again, maybe he should avoid anything that since it would just lead to more complaints over why he hasn't finished the books yet.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

"What about evil people" is a just terrible argument. Universal NTZ use changes what the drug means. It's no longer very useful for manipulating people, because your "target" is also on NTZ, and thus on an equal footing with you. There is research on this, and at least within the range of normal human variation, more intelligent groups tend to be less antagonistic and more cooperative with each other (less bullying at magnet schools ect). Of course, there is absolutely no guarantee this result would extend to NTZ levels of genius, but the basic point is that an evil person on NTZ is much less of a problem if everyone is on NTZ. That's not where the disruption to society comes from.

Because intelligence also increases human mastery over the physical world, and there is no red queens race as far as this aspect goes. Physics, Chemistry ect can't take NTZ and level up in difficulty. So, what would happen is over-excited as all heck students building nuclear powered rockets in the university work shop and visiting the moon. And so on and so forth. 

• Love 2

"What about evil people" is a just terrible argument.

Always is. And constantly used for everything from welfare to humanitarian treatment of refugees - basically any time a privileged group wants to keep their privilege. I don't have much time for that particular argument myself. 

• Love 5

What I love about this show is how it subverts wish-fulfillment superhero shows while at the same time satisfying exactly those bullet points. Being a super genius isn't Brian's "power". Being a flawed, decent human being, who does the right thing even when handed unspeakable power is. 

To date, we've seen, what 6-8 people on NZT? Let's put aside the guy from ep 7, who was high as a kite and basically acted as a punchline.  There's Morra, whose motives are unclear, but is willing to kill Rebecca's dad and use Sands to do stuff that's extremely distasteful. There's Casey and his crew, who imploded, and Casey was nominally a good guy. There was sweet Scientist husband guy, who kind of showcased the "good guys do good NZT". And there's Piper, who kind of sits in the middle. She needs redemption and Brian is kind of tugging her towards it.  (Rebecca's dad is dead and we don't know if he died nobly or not but certainly she was in his thoughts towards the end, given the painting.)

I don't think Piper's in the show to synthesize NZT or an antidote to the side effects. I think she's there because she needs saving from what NZT does to you. I also think she's about to be fridged but I don't really mind this because if she succeeded in her efforts it would pretty much ruin the show. Brian needs to be torn between the Morrites and the Fibbites and his family.

One of the things I love his how much Brian's family undervalues him. Every now and then they admit to tiny bits of his goodness and creativity, but he's been in the role of failure for so long that they can't value his sacrifices for them. His dad won't say: "This is what my son did for me, accepting the devil's trade to save my life." Instead, it's all "Brian is incapable of making these decisions." His Mom doesn't see the would-be superhero who is trying to the most good while being under enormous pressures pulled between the Morra team and the FBI, who is portrayed as the good guys but isn't always able to make good outcomes. His brother and sister have accepted him as the failure kid for so long that they don't see where he's blossomed.

What's great though is that each person on the FBI side of things is learning to value him, despite the fact that he's can be an emotionally needy child with a great heart. From the Christmas lights to last week's work with Spellman, etc, he's earning respect from everyone and not just because he's an irreplaceable asset.

He defines himself by his family and the people who are actually embracing him live at his workplace.

I ramble. Loved the episode. Please let the renewal be confirmed and please let them keep the quality of writing high. And please let them have an end to the story in mind like on Person of Interest.

• Love 9

After some time spent on reflection and reading some great comments, I have a few more tidbits to add;

-  As wonderful and beautiful as Georgina Haig is, I sadly but honestly think that Piper's time is running out.  Sands will end her, or some other fate will befall her.  That's just simple TV storytelling; a heartbreaking setback suffered by the main protagonist [especially if the 'L' word is used by Brian in reference to Piper, as I've heard alluded to in the promo for next week's new episode].  It would be doubly-so (heartbreaking) if it turns out she was playing him, in the end as I guessed earlier.  If Brian/Rebecca is 'endgame' - which is anyone's guess at this point - that'd be another reason why Piper will be killed off at some point, sooner or later.

-  I can't help but wonder if Brian's mental recreation of Rebecca's "You met a girl?  In Russia??" was what she actually wrote to him [in e-mail exchanges] or if it was his own wish fulfillment imagining that she would be jealous of the fact, even if just a little bit.  I like that its portrayed as being left so vague since we are seeing such things in his mind's eye, and not through the actual person it came from.  Its like those times when he either self corrects a retelling, or someone does it for him, and says 'ok, that's not exactly what happened or was said...'.

-  I found it very telling when Naz was relating to Rebecca that she wanted to "find Brian and bring him home".  Not back to NY, not back to the CJC, back home.  That word choice revealed a lot more than she might have been aware of at the time.  Also her giving Rebecca consent to go after Brian, despite all the work and manpower behind locating and bringing him back - I think that scene revealed a lot about, and to, both women on their feelings towards Brian.  Same goes for the rest of the team.  I like the juxtaposition of how a few months ago, they all thought bringing him in to help was going to be the worst thing ever, but now they can't stand to be away from him or not know what's happening to him.  This proves how much heart this show has, and how much Brian engenders the value of being a person worthy of their time, instead of just an asset or a resource to be used by the CJC & FBI.

-  I can't hate Rachel.  I know she's going about it in the wrong way, but at least she's trying to help find and protect Brian... unlike her parents.

-  I hope this show not only gets a renewal for next season, but gets a few more after that - as long as the quality stays high.  I think they could do a lot with such storylines as like finding out who created NZT?, are they (or someone else) controlling Morra?, what would Morra do if attained the Presidency?, etc and so on.  And that's just some of the topics that could be touched or focused on.

• Love 1

His family. Which is worse.

His mother lost it, and my guess is she'll apologize. Dad was silent, but it was Brian who asked him to keep quiet and let Brian handle everything (plus, no, he's not the boss of Mom.) One brother tried to warn him and the other sibs weren't even there. What ever you think of what Rachel did, first telling Mom, then Rebecca, it wasn't kicking Brian out of the family. The only one who calmly decided to exclude Brian because he wasn't living up to expectations was... Rebecca!

One of the problems with delving into the continuing story line about Brian and Morra etc. is that the show has to start addressing its premises. Otherwise it might suffer the same fate I see with iZombie, a continuing story line that is getting implausibly convoluted while getting ever more pointless. I'm inclined to see the lack of withdrawal from NZT as something of a retcon, intended to keep things from getting too heavy for our light-hearted hero. But if there's no NZT withdrawal, temporary usage is just dandy. Meaning, the only reason for suppressing NZT so dramatically is to keep society from being changed. This may be automatically presumed to be an ideal for reactionary people, but many of us believe the world keeps changing and efforts to suppress change are tyranny. And efforts to suppress beneficial change, progress if you will, are vilely tyrannical. At this point, Rebecca is the pinup for this, symbolizing the desirability, nay, inevitability of the world as it is going on forever in the form of True Love. (After all, if nothing really changes, there's only personal life, right?) I think it would be perfectly compatible with Brian's good nature for him to want to have everyone use NZT and the enzyme. This may be Morra's ultimate agenda. As of this moment, the FBI is right, so far as it knows, to suppress NZT use (I mean, it's ultimately fatal!) But I don't think it's a stretch to see the FBI, Naz, Boyle and Rebecca as likely committed to NZT use being restricted to the government's purposes. I don't think that makes them good guys. (And Ike and Mike may be getting to like Brian, but they are still watching him, not watching over him, and always have been, even in the episodes where people were pissed at Brian for mistreating them. In my opinion.)

By the way, the once eminent SF writer Poul Anderson wrote a novel called Brain Wave, taking off on the idea that everyone suddenly became much more intelligent. One of the earliest (first, even?) novels he wrote, but still perhaps his best. The producers should possibly read it? Or did they?

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 1

This show has really become Alias now, with more humor, complete with black tie events and spycraft action.

Love the editing fun.

Didn't love as much the story. Seemed slow and disconnected from Brian's world.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

His mother specifically said that he was not welcome in their house and nobody objected. I don't think it's at all ambiguous that Brian was kicked out. He was literally told to leave and not come back. If that's not kicking someone out, what is?

• Love 6

This was... something. Some of the Russian was pretty bad (really, couldn't they ask "Misha Kuznetsov" in the guest cast to proofread like 3 phrases?), but holy shit, the show made such a deliberately over-the-top parody of the non-deliberately over-the-top portrayal of Russian in Western media that I didn't even care. I mean, Brian was playing "Kalinka-Malinka" (which is a really well-known folk song here in Russia) on a freaking balalaika. I was almost expected for dancing bears to appear. And the deputy general prosecutor (called Lavrov, after the IRL Minister of Foreign Affairs) had a USSR flag in his room! And the GRR Martin fan stuff was so out of place I was pretty much dying of laughter. 

I think Mike/Piper happened a bit too fast, but dammit, I love Piper. Part of it is my residual fondness for Georgina Haig, another part is that I legitimately like the character. Please, show, don't kill her! That would be so cliched.

So tired of Brian's parents. I understand them, but it's just annoying and such a waste of two great actors. I don't mind the sister though, she can stay. And for some unexplicable reason I'm rooting for her and Ike.

• Love 2