Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Basic Story

As Subway makes plans to purchase the Greendale campus for their own Subway University, the study group members contemplate the end of an era. Jeff considers a generous offer of employment he has received from Subway, while Britta considers an offer she has received from Jeff. Meanwhile, Dean Pelton tells Annie and Abed about Greendale's first Dean Russell Borchert, which leads to an interesting and potentially lucrative discovery in the walls of Greendale.

I don't have much to say about this episode, but I did see something someone mentioned that I wanted to share and see what you guys thought. There was a heartbeat drawing on the chalkboard in the study room, and my initial reaction was maybe that was a reference to the series... three full heartbeats for S1-3 and a smaller one for S4. But this person suggested that perhaps it means Jeff's still in a coma. That could help explain why he suddenly proposed to Britta... maybe some end of life regrets? It could also help explain the GI Joe episode; if all of that was a coma-dream... I don't know. But I definitely thought his explanation about why he mixed the pills and drink sounded like a load of crap.

• Love 1

Abed trying to escape the narrative frame was kind of... interesting in a film-theory kind of way, I guess? It wasn't very entertaining, though. He's really off in his own show at this point, isn't he? I had hoped that dating Brie Larson would re-humanize him, but so much for that.

"This feels right" (which Britta says during her sad, desperate acceptance of Jeff's sad, desperate proposal (comedy!)) is TV-speak for "This is wrong, and will not actually happen," so I'm pre-annoyed at a storyline that's designed to not go anywhere. I suppose the fair thing to do is to wait for next week's conclusion and see how it all shakes out.

There was a heartbeat drawing on the chalkboard in the study room, and my initial reaction was maybe that was a reference to the series... three full heartbeats for S1-3 and a smaller one for S4. But this person suggested that perhaps it means Jeff's still in a coma. That could help explain why he suddenly proposed to Britta... maybe some end of life regrets? It could also help explain the GI Joe episode; if all of that was a coma-dream... I don't know.

After watching the season finale I like your idea better omgsowicked.

• Love 2