Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: There's My Baby

The Keating 5 are questioned by an assistant DA about the night Emily Sinclair died. Meanwhile, Caleb disappears as the search for Philip heats up. Also: A flashback explores Annalise's strategy in the Mahoney case that has a tragic end.

Well, looks like we were all right about Mahoney Sr. being Wes' father.

So much happened, I'll attempt to organize my thoughts:

Wes/Annalise/Mahoney case

I'm surprised but not surprised that Wes didn't believe Annalise, but I think once she told him about Mahoney, he is starting to come around. I still wonder what happened to Charles, though. Wes is probably going to do something stupid though, like go confront Wallace at his office.

When Annalise was in the car, I knew she was going to get T-boned and I don't believe for a second that it was accidental. Mahoney had eyes on everyone involved in the case, 24/7. He probably bugged Annalise's car or phone.

I think this was probably the "best" outcome considering we knew the baby wouldn't survive. Not a random late-term pregnancy complication, not murder (at least, not outright), Annalise didn't secretly give the baby away and pretend he died. And man, Viola Davis deserves all the awards for that scene in the operating room. That was heartbreaking.

I love Eve, so much.

And Flashback!Frank is adorable. Just like an over-eager puppy.

Frank/Laurel/Bonnie:

Laurel was great in that scene at the end with Annalise. Good show, Frank, now everybody knows you killed Lila. Glad Bonnie was at least smart enough to figure out that it was Sam, not Annalise, who asked Frank to kill Lila - I wonder why Frank is so opposed to correcting Laurel's (and later Bonnie's) assumption, though. We also got a sense of why Frank felt so beholden to Sam. I wonder how exactly Sam saved him from his "white trash future" and what exactly that future entailed. We met his family, and they seemed decent, albeit a total caricature of an Italian family.

Now that Annalise knows, I wonder what she is going to do next, aside from running away to her mother (though I'm thrilled to have Cicely Tyson back!)

She obviously knows it wasn't her who told Frank to kill Lila, but must be wondering why Laurel thinks she did.

Michaela/Caleb/Asher:

Asher really is kind of a jerk, but also oddly sweet, like when he was apologizing. He seems to flip back and forth a lot, but really I just end up disliking him, and I hate him and Michaela together so it better have been a one-time thing.

They really glossed over Caleb disappearing (absolutely no details except Caleb is missing) and aside from Michaela, they all seem very unconcerned. How did anyone even know he is missing anyways?

Connor/Oliver:

Oliver needs to resist getting sucked into Annalise's orbit, and Connor and Oliver both need to move far far away.

And "people have told me that I have a resting bitch-face" was awesome, as was "so good luck screwing me, 'cause you're not really my type". Loved Bonnie's little smirk after that last one.

With one more episode, there's still a lot to go. We still need to find out who killed the Hapstall parents :P

• Love 1

I knew it! I called it from jump. I knew that Alan Arkin's character raped Rose and is Wes' father. Of course, we are going to see Alan Arkin in the present. Wes is about to get into more trouble with Maloney. No doubt he will end up killing Maloney or his brother because that is how Wes rolls. I am just glad that Laurel is still in his orbit. She definitely cares about him and the attraction is there so I am thrilled. Let Frank go off with Bonnie or someone else.

Poor Annalise. Viola was outstanding in that scene. That baby looked so real. How did they do that? I am sure that Alan Arkin's character, Maloney, was behind the accident. No doubt he was spying on Annalise as he was doing with Rose.

Annalise ran away to mama. Bwah! I don't blame her. Those people around her are the worse. They kill people creating messes that she has to clean up. I would be sick of all of them too.

Oh, Ollie, you are such a good guy. Stay away from Annalise!

I cannot believe that Michaela slept with Asher. Ridiculous. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Kind of meh on the most scandalous hook-up in show history. True, I didn't see Asher/Michaela coming, but I don't feel any romantic or sexual chemistry between those 2.

So that's what happened to Annalise's baby. And I'm guessing that's why the Keating marriage went downhill. Viola Davis broke my heart in that scene with Annalise's dead baby. 

Yay Cicely Tyson.

Wes is going to try and find Wallace Mahoney, isn't he? *smh*

• Love 2

What stood out to me was Frank, and Anna in the flashback saying that it was Sam who got her to hire Frank.

I had always thought that like Bonnie, Frank was one of her students, but no.

She said something about Sam bringing him home. 

So many questions and it leads me back to last season when I saw Frank's "family" and said, I'm not buying it.

Still so much to uncover on Frank's back story. 

Lastly, they can't give Viola enough awards for that scene in the OR, gut-wrenching.

• Love 2

What stood out to me was Frank, and Anna in the flashback saying that it was Sam who got her to hire Frank.

I had always thought that like Bonnie, Frank was one of her students, but no.

Frank isn't a lawyer like Bonnie is.

Edited by secnarf

Question: What was the point of that scene with Frank and that woman he met in the bar? What did that have to do with anything?

My guess is Frank's peen is what landed him in whatever trouble Sam helped him out of.

I knew Mahoney was Wes's father. It was Mrs. Mahoney's attitude that made me believe so. I got a woman scorned vibe from her. 

It might end them a a couple but Connor needs to come clean with Oliver. He think Annalise & the K5 is exciting and fun. Quitting his job and dreaming of working for Annalise is not good for his health.

• Love 1

Frank isn't a lawyer like Bonnie is.

I know this.  

But I originally thought that maybe he didn't have what it took and flunked out of law school or something and Anna decided to keep him

around and put him to "good" use. 

Come to find out tonight that they met through Sam and Anna made it sound like from her knowledge Frank was some kid on the street when Sam brought him home.  I don't know if this is true and based on how sinister Sam turned out to be who knows if he told Anna the full story on Frank.

But like I said, what I heard tonight about how he came into Anna's life brings back the feeling that I had when I saw Frank's "family," they looked very questionable to me.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Well, looks like we were all right about Mahoney Sr. being Wes' father.

So much happened, I'll attempt to organize my thoughts:

Wes/Annalise/Mahoney case

I'm surprised but not surprised that Wes didn't believe Annalise, but I think once she told him about Mahoney, he is starting to come around. I still wonder what happened to Charles, though. Wes is probably going to do something stupid though, like go confront Wallace at his office.

When Annalise was in the car, I knew she was going to get T-boned and I don't believe for a second that it was accidental. Mahoney had eyes on everyone involved in the case, 24/7. He probably bugged Annalise's car or phone.

I think this was probably the "best" outcome considering we knew the baby wouldn't survive. Not a random late-term pregnancy complication, not murder (at least, not outright), Annalise didn't secretly give the baby away and pretend he died. And man, Viola Davis deserves all the awards for that scene in the operating room. That was heartbreaking.

I love Eve, so much.

And Flashback!Frank is adorable. Just like an over-eager puppy.

Frank/Laurel/Bonnie:

Laurel was great in that scene at the end with Annalise. Good show, Frank, now everybody knows you killed Lila. Glad Bonnie was at least smart enough to figure out that it was Sam, not Annalise, who asked Frank to kill Lila - I wonder why Frank is so opposed to correcting Laurel's (and later Bonnie's) assumption, though. We also got a sense of why Frank felt so beholden to Sam. I wonder how exactly Sam saved him from his "white trash future" and what exactly that future entailed. We met his family, and they seemed decent, albeit a total caricature of an Italian family.

Now that Annalise knows, I wonder what she is going to do next, aside from running away to her mother (though I'm thrilled to have Cicely Tyson back!)

She obviously knows it wasn't her who told Frank to kill Lila, but must be wondering why Laurel thinks she did.

Michaela/Caleb/Asher:

Asher really is kind of a jerk, but also oddly sweet, like when he was apologizing. He seems to flip back and forth a lot, but really I just end up disliking him, and I hate him and Michaela together so it better have been a one-time thing.

They really glossed over Caleb disappearing (absolutely no details except Caleb is missing) and aside from Michaela, they all seem very unconcerned. How did anyone even know he is missing anyways?

Connor/Oliver:

Oliver needs to resist getting sucked into Annalise's orbit, and Connor and Oliver both need to move far far away.

And "people have told me that I have a resting bitch-face" was awesome, as was "so good luck screwing me, 'cause you're not really my type". Loved Bonnie's little smirk after that last one.

With one more episode, there's still a lot to go. We still need to find out who killed the Hapstall parents :P

First thoughts, more to come later. I love your post. I still think the twist in the season murder case is that Caleb and Philip were in on the murder together and that Katherine is innocent. I've suspected this for a while, but something about the last scenes we got with Caleb and Katherine had me smelling a rat every time Caleb spoke. Is it a coincidence that Philip reappears right after Annalise rebuffed Caleb's request for assistance? I wonder.

• Love 4

Lastly, they can't give Viola enough awards for that scene in the OR, gut-wrenching.

I think we just saw Viola's Emmy submission. And, seriously? Just give her the award now. That was spectacular acting.

• Love 14

Michaela/Asher was so stupid, she stayed a virgin for so long and then her boyfriend is missing so she jumps into bed with Asher?

Laurel refusing to talk to Frank is really annoying.

VD was amazing the baby scene.  

• Love 3

I've suspected this for a while, but something about the last scenes we got with Caleb and Katherine had me smelling a rat every time Caleb spoke. Is it a coincidence that Philip reappears right after Annalise rebuffed Caleb's request for assistance? I wonder.

This I agree with, which is probably why they didn't waste much time on having anyone but Michaela giving a shit about whether Caleb was dead or alive. Not that these jokers would care anyway unless they thought he was a violent threat like Philip. Bonnie did say that they were ALL bad people, and that's what they had in common, LOL. 

And while they were at it, they had Michaela just jump Asher's bones because Caleb doesn't deserve her loyalty after all, we will soon find out if your theory is correct. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Fascinating episode.  As with most episodes I need time to 'absorb' before I can comment.  I cried my eyes out when Annie lost the baby.  Absolutely incredible scene.  Viola is an amazing actor.

• Love 8

Michaela/Asher was so stupid, she stayed a virgin for so long and then her boyfriend is missing so she jumps into bed with Asher.

She was never a virgin, she just never had an orgasm with her fiancé.

I miss Asher and Bonnie. They were so cute, but yikes with Michaela and Asher.

Poor screwed up Wes. I hope he doesn't kill his dad or brother because that is way too much blood on his hands.

Give Viola the Emmy again. I am still crying at that scene.

• Love 6

Between Asher's comment about wishing he was gay to date Oliver and the way he stared at Connor/Oliver kissing, I half expected Asher to get drunk and make out with one of them or both. That would've been more "scandalous" than Michaela/Asher, IMO.

• Love 6

The thing that really bugged me about Laurel in this episode was her sense of entitlement about information that isn't her business.  She should respect Wes' privacy and not demand info from Annalise.  It's up to Wes to decide if he wants to confide in Laurel.  The whole reason Wes' is pissed at her is because she concealed information about his history from him and then was completely indiscreet running to Annalise about what was going on with Wes.

Also, it occurred to me that Frank let Laurel believe Annalise was behind the order to kill Lila because he thought she'd be more likely to keep quiet about it than if she knew it was Sam.  Frank was a fool to think that Laurel wouldn't eventually confront Annalise about Lila's murder. 

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 10

Probably not.  Laurel said that Frank told her that Annalise asked him to kill Lila.  If anything, she's probably wondering why Frank would say that.  (He didn't, but drunk Laurel misspoke.)

Back to lurking.

It occurred to me that maybe Wes will discover his father's dead body when he goes to confront him setting up the case for next season. Annalise will have to defend him and protect him from his brother.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I think Annalise will kill Wes' father if she finds out he was responsible for the accident that caused her to lose her baby; Wes will find the dead body and will cover for Annalise since she's been covering for him since day one.

• Love 11

I think Annalise will kill Wes' father if she finds out he was responsible for the accident that caused her to lose her baby; Wes will find the dead body and will cover for Annalise since she's been covering for him since day one.

I'd like to put some money down on this little theory. 

I've known several people who've had stillborn children and the one thing they all say is how compassionate the staff was. That nurse was intrusive and it really took me out of the scene. The devastation of Sam and Annalise was so raw. 

• Love 5

I'd like to put some money down on this little theory. 

I've known several people who've had stillborn children and the one thing they all say is how compassionate the staff was. That nurse was intrusive and it really took me out of the scene. The devastation of Sam and Annalise was so raw. 

I was shocked that the nurse asked if they wanted to take a picture.  Is that normal? 

• Love 2
So that's what happened to Annalise's baby. And I'm guessing that's why the Keating marriage went downhill. Viola Davis broke my heart in that scene with Annalise's dead baby. 

I agree with you on this being the beginning of the problem with their marriage.  There was actually a moment when Annalise was pushing the baby away and telling the nurse to take the baby when you could see something in Sam's eyes change and something broke inside him.... right then, at that moment. Strong work by Tom Verica in those scenes with Viola.  As for her, they should just start calling the Emmy the Viola..saves time:)   

I love everything about this theory other than it blows up my wish that we get to the end of the series with her being the only character not to kill someone.

A couple of things made me laugh out loud last night.  First, when Annalise is kicking everyone out of her house, she looks up and sees that Oliver is there and her expression and exasperation, "what is this, a homeless shelter!?" killed me.  Second, Bonnie to Frank "we can't let Annalise know"; immediate jump cut to scene with Laurel letting Annalise know!

And thank god for Bonnie being smart enough to figure out Frank's reason for killing Lila was Sam, not Annalise, I was furious when he wasn't clearing it up with her, just as he let it go unchecked with Laurel (which clearly was a huge mistake).

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

First thoughts, more to come later. I love your post. I still think the twist in the season murder case is that Caleb and Philip were in on the murder together and that Katherine is innocent. I've suspected this for a while, but something about the last scenes we got with Caleb and Katherine had me smelling a rat every time Caleb spoke. Is it a coincidence that Philip reappears right after Annalise rebuffed Caleb's request for assistance? I wonder.

I haven't trusted Caleb since the beginning. 2 things that stick out in my mind: 1)when he went for a run and when the police questioned them he had Catherine lie that they were together that night. 2)Why he waited until after he slept with Michaela to show her the gun.  Caleb makes my spidey sense tingle. 

Michaela/Asher was so stupid, she stayed a virgin for so long and then her boyfriend is missing so she jumps into bed with Asher?

Laurel refusing to talk to Frank is really annoying.

VD was amazing the baby scene.  

Micheala was never a virgin on this show. She just has consistently bad taste in men.

I was shocked that the nurse asked if they wanted to take a picture.  Is that normal? 

Yes. it felt awkward here, but it isn't uncommon. For parents who's child are still born it may be the one family photo they get. I know parents who had children that were not expected to live much longer after the birth who do this as part of saying goodbye and memorializing that child.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 2

Yes, and often it goes beyond the photos - you get footprints/handprints, the blanket they were wrapped in, and sometimes a "certificate of life" (not an official document), in a memorial box of some type. It's also not something that a lot of parents are thinking of at the time, so it's not unusual for the nurse to ask them, although that scene did feel awkward. The hospital where I worked at had a specific cart for stillbirths and neonatal deaths, with all sorts of things in it to make mementos and whatnot.

When an older child or an adult dies, the family has a ton of things at home and pictures to remember them by, but when a baby is stillborn or dies shortly after birth, there is none of that.

• Love 10

The episode was so sad. :(

Re: Laurel, I am really enjoying her this season and I liked that she tested Oliver like she did and then told Connor he should thank her for saving his relationship. It reminded me of Laurel being aghast that Frank would think telling her he killed Lila proves he loves her. I just feel like she is a really well-written character this season.

As for Wes being pissed at Laurel... he has reason be upset for sure, but am I alone in thinking that part of the reason he shut her out and is being so cold towards her has just as much to do with their kiss in Ohio? He definitely had a reaction when Laurel told Michela and Connor she had broken up with Frank. I wouldn't say he perked up exactly, but he was definitely absorbing that information, and I wasn't surprised to see them looking close to kissing again in the promo, although I feel like that scene may be more for Frank's benefit than anything else. (In the sense that he will see them together and have it out with Laurel.)

Frank blew it by letting Laurel believe Annalise ordered Lila's murder. I actually didn't even realize how messed up that would make everything else she did seem from Laurel's perspective until Bonnie's conversation with Frank and Laurel drunkenly accusing Annalise of pulling their puppet strings the whole time. I don't get why we saw Frank sleep with that random lady, either. I feel like maybe the final two episodes this season are pushing him towards some kind of brink where all of this will make sense, hopefully.

I will be so surprised if it turns out Caleb was the murderer or in league with Phillip... but it would make sense. I just feel like the actor played it all with so little ambiguity, I stopped thinking he was involved awhile ago. I know that doesn't mean anything, though.

• Love 2

I kind of liked this episode because it went deep into who Annalise is, all of her layers.  It's rare on TV to show a black woman with so many layers to her. 

I remember watching Southland, where Reginia King's character became pregnant by a married man (which annoyed me).  There was no explanation, no depth, it felt like the character was a sixteen year old girl who just found herself pregnant one day.  But this, this was layered and it really hit me.

• Love 5

I'm glad the flashback took major part in this penultimate episode because we actually see some emotional scenes and enjoy some of the best acting chops the cast had. Most of the time, they kept serving up twists and twists and it's like riding a non-stop rollercoaster and honestly I'm kinda tired collecting my jaws off the floor. So this relaxing tame episode is very welcomed. Also Viola Davis, Tom Verica and Famke Janssen hit it out of the park and into the space this episode.

• Love 7

Cecily Tyson is still gorgeous!

Something cool:  She is also on the new season of House of Cards.  (Season 4).

Mikasher?  Sounds better than Ashaela

As for her, they should just start calling the Emmy the Viola..saves time:)

Agree

First, when Annalise is kicking everyone out of her house, she looks up and sees that Oliver is there and her expression and exasperation, "what is this, a homeless shelter!?" killed me.

It was very Red on That 70's Show.  He made a very similar remark about all the teenagers who would hang out at his house with Eric.  Wish I could remember what it was.  They're like the Forman 6.  There's also Michael Bluth on Arrested Development walking into his apartment to seeing his family lying about lazily all over his floor and couches and he says "Is there a gas leak in here?"  I watch too much TV.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

One thing that is so on point with this show is the music. Every piece of music is perfect for that particular scene.

Viola Davis slays it every week.

The hospital and ending montages were great and Viola is amazing. One of the best things about this show is how the characters portray raw emotion, they act as how people would to trauma in real life IMO.

I laughed when Bonnie said "we are all bad people, that is the only thing we have in common" it was so on point.  Annalise how some funny comedic lines as well.

I honestly have no idea what is going to happen with any storyline. We still have to confirm/find out who murdered the Hapstalls, where Caleb/Philip are, what Wes will do about Mahoney, the Oliver/Connor tension, if Annalise will confront Frank about Lyla, if the police will get evidence on them, and whatever we saw Annalise discovering at her mother's house lol.  this is going to be a crazy finale

• Love 2

This episode was pretty good even though some of the story lines were waaay out of character.

The hookup with Michaela and Asher--its so far fetched it's difficult to believe.  If the characters were even mildly friendly to each other then maybe but from what I can remember the only time they talk to each other is when Michaela is telling him to shut up in some form or fashion.  To say I don't get them is an understatement

Is there trouble in paradise for Oliver & Conner???  Another out of the blue story development.  I can understand Conner being concerned for Oliver's safety but that little speech he gave Laurel was just weird.  And Oliver quitting his job and quoting Annalise (and a possible job) is just so unlike him!  He's suppose the reasonable, grounded one.  This is just a haphazard life choice for him it just doesn't seem right.

More Frank less whiny Wes please!!

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2

That was waaay more shots of a dead baby than I needed, thank you very much.

This show reminds me of Luther lately. Everyone blames everything on Annalise the way everyone blames everything on Luther. Shut up, Michaela and Laurel! If you are going to run to Annie every time one of your crimes is causing you a problem, you are at fault for following any advice she gives. Every morning they wake up and are not in jail is thanks to her.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 5

Yes, I really can't stand that they blame all of their problems on Annalise.

Really hating Laurel right now. Maybe if you talked to Frank you could get the answers you want!

I'm interested to see where Wes's paternity story leads.

I'm tired of Michaela's bitching. Hopefully her hook up with Asher will loosen her up but I doubt it.

All of the students except for Asher are annoying me. He's the only one that sees his part in causing the situation and seems grateful that he's being protected.

Edited by Bluethcs24
  • Love 4

I was wondering when Asher and Michaela would hook up.  For some reason, I get those two together, I thought they'd hook up last season.  Asher puts on this front, of a shallow, privileged rich boy, but deep down he's really sweet.  Michaela puts up a front of being put together and polished, but deep down she's sensitive and scared of failing.

Loved that the Spanish wasn't subtitled. 

• Love 9

I agree with you on this being the beginning of the problem with their marriage.  There was actually a moment when Annalise was pushing the baby away and telling the nurse to take the baby when you could see something in Sam's eyes change and something broke inside him.... right then, at that moment. Strong work by Tom Verica in those scenes with Viola.  As for her, they should just start calling the Emmy the Viola..saves time:)

I can't help it, I like 10 years ago Sam. Seeing how helpful he was with Bonnie and how much he loved Annalise and their kid is messing with my head and really heartbreaking knowing what he warped into and his ultimate end (and they did remind us that Connor and Co. chopped his body up which even when you're dead is pretty gisly). The worst we know about 10 years ago Sam is that his and Annalise's beginnings were under shady circumstances (he was her therapist and was married when they hooked up) but from what we saw of them, he and Annie were a pretty happy couple. I can totally see this Sam being a committed dad and adoring that poor son that never lived. His quiet devastation was very well done and it definitely broke something in him and between him and Annalise to send their marriage to a very nasty end.

The other thing that got me was Annalise looking at the photo of her, Sam, and the baby and realizing she's the only one still alive of the 3. Her still grieving for the family that never was and knowing how different their lives could've been if only...

Yeah, Michaela and Asher hooking up was not that surprising to me. But I will give Asher props - he's the only one to say thank you to the group for having his back when they really could've left him twisting in the wind. Doesn't amount to a hill of beans considering the crap they're all in but no one can ever say that he didn't acknowledge what they did for him. While I appreciate that his conscience is still urging him to step forward, if he's going to do it, he should do it rather than wait for Bonnie's approval/go ahead. Of course he can't come forward without the entire house of cards coming down for everyone so it's a weak offer at the moment until/unless Annalise comes up with a plan. Actually, Annalise may have planted that Asher comes up with a way for him to take the heat off the group by his coming forward - she was drunk when she told him that he is smarter than everyone thinks when he was brought in for questioning,but I think she's right and that we the audience underestimate him as well. I think Asher will play a role in helping unravel this mess.

• Love 3

I got a strange vibe when Sam came to see Annalise in the hospital; I almost sensed that he was more concerned about the baby than he was Annalise.  Once he saw that baby (that baby looked like those fake babies they give to teenagers when they don't want them getting pregnant, the ones that cry every four hours) I got the sense that he was wishing Annalise was dead and not the baby.  I can't explain it.  It's like when Annalise told Sam how sorry she was, he wasn't hearing her.   It made me not like Sam, like he's one of those people who feel that women are nothing more than vessels to carry their children. 

Now when I remember all those ugly things Sam said to Annalise, it makes it even worse. 

• Love 4

There was actually a moment when Annalise was pushing the baby away and telling the nurse to take the baby when you could see something in Sam's eyes change and something broke inside him...

His quiet devastation was very well done and it definitely broke something in him and between him and Annalise to send their marriage to a very nasty end.

Definitely one of those times seeing the same thing two different ways....this scene only re-enforced his sociopathy to me....While there is never a standard template for how anyone shows grief (emphasized) and this after all is 'acting', I saw Sam as cold and detached.  If he was devastated, it was at the loss of the control over Annie he thought he was going to get because of the baby, not at the lost of their son...the baby was just another way of keeping Annie close to home (and him), and when that (calculated) control was lost, he got pissed.  In that scene, I see a guy who's trying mighty hard to keep his sweltering anger in check.

Edited by ChuckWagon
  • Love 1

They did make a very interesting, albeit creepy parallel here between Frank(/Sam?) killing pregnant Lila and Sam/A losing their baby.  How much more disturbing is it for Sam to have been so devastated about losing the baby, and wanting one so much, and then killing his pregnant mistress?  On the other hand, did Malhoney somehow arrange that car accident in the hopes of killing Analise?  So much birth/death. 

I was hoping for a Caleb/Phillip hookup, as that would be shocking, especially if the two were plotting against Catherine the whole time.

Yes, and often it goes beyond the photos - you get footprints/handprints, the blanket they were wrapped in, and sometimes a "certificate of life" (not an official document), in a memorial box of some type. It's also not something that a lot of parents are thinking of at the time, so it's not unusual for the nurse to ask them, although that scene did feel awkward. The hospital where I worked at had a specific cart for stillbirths and neonatal deaths, with all sorts of things in it to make mementos and whatnot.

A friend of mine at work was telling me about a woman on her internet message board ten or so years ago who sent out birth/death announcements for her stillborn baby. 

This same friend said that we will probably have Michaela be pregnant from the hook up with Asher. I reminded her that this isn't Grey's; except for Lila, they seem to know how to have sex and not get pregnant.

Christophe as the bastard Mahoney was a plot twist you could see from space.

This episode was pretty good even though some of the story lines were waaay out of character.

The hookup with Michaela and Asher--its so far fetched it's difficult to believe.  If the characters were even mildly friendly to each other then maybe but from what I can remember the only time they talk to each other is when Michaela is telling him to shut up in some form or fashion.  To say I don't get them is an understatement

Is there trouble in paradise for Oliver & Conner???  Another out of the blue story development.  I can understand Conner being concerned for Oliver's safety but that little speech he gave Laurel was just weird.  And Oliver quitting his job and quoting Annalise (and a possible job) is just so unlike him!  He's suppose the reasonable, grounded one.  This is just a haphazard life choice for him it just doesn't seem right.

More Frank less whiny Wes please!!

I can see Michaela and Asher hooking up in a drunken, scared moment like they did. Whether that leads to a relationship or not remains to be seen, but as a one off? Considering the pressure they're under I can easily see it.

Oliver has been spinning out of control since his diagnosis. Because he doesn't know the truth he sees everything the K5 do as thrilling and exciting. He honestly doesn't know to be afraid. To date he's hacked Philip, cat-fished Philip, agreed to a coffee date with Philip (Connor unltimately went on the date, but Philip agreed to it) been kidnapped by Philip and still not learned his lesson. Connor is so afraid he's looking at transferring schools, Asher is sleeping on their sofa and the K5 are having group sleep overs. Despite all of this, Oliver want to carpe de diem and quits his job in hopes of being hired by Annalise full time. Oliver hasn't been the senible one for quite some time. Honestly I'm worried that he ends up killed more than anything.  As much as it would suck I almost want him to find out the truth about the K5 even if it means he and Connor break up.

I can't help it, I like 10 years ago Sam. Seeing how helpful he was with Bonnie and how much he loved Annalise and their kid is messing with my head and really heartbreaking knowing what he warped into and his ultimate end (and they did remind us that Connor and Co. chopped his body up which even when you're dead is pretty gisly). The worst we know about 10 years ago Sam is that his and Annalise's beginnings were under shady circumstances (he was her therapist and was married when they hooked up) but from what we saw of them, he and Annie were a pretty happy couple. I can totally see this Sam being a committed dad and adoring that poor son that never lived. His quiet devastation was very well done and it definitely broke something in him and between him and Annalise to send their marriage to a very nasty end.

I haven't trusted Sam from day 1. I do think his grief over losing the baby was genuine, but I can't forget that  Annalise was Sam's patient and he was married when they got involved. Sam had some sort of dirt on Frank that was big enough for Frank to kill Lila. Sam cheated on Annalise with Lila, got her pregnant and had her killed rather than own up to it. In my eyes Sam has never been a good guy.

.....  On the other hand, did Malhoney somehow arrange that car accident in the hopes of killing Analise?  So much birth/death. 

I was hoping for a Caleb/Phillip hookup, as that would be shocking, especially if the two were plotting against Catherine the whole time.

I think Mahoney most definitely arranged that car accident I think Annalise knows it as well.  As for Caleb, I'm not certain whether or not he is in cahoots with Philip, but I do think he had something to do with his parents murder. However I think Catherine being charged/jailed for it was an unfortunate accident.

• Love 1

I appreciated Asher's apology. He can be a complete ass sometimes, but that is the most gratitude and self awareness any of the K5 have shown so far, I think. If their sense of entitlement bugs me so much, I have to acknowledge Asher in that scene. Changes nothing, but still.

What are the chances that Michaela didn't hang up the call to Caleb properly?

Her dancing was extremely cringe worthy. Painful to watch. Great job with that scene.

I figure Papa Maloney isn't Wes's father, but his grandfather. With his racism, I just don't see him having any kind of relationship with Rose, and assume part of his dislike stems from anger that his son did. (Annalise accused him, but he neither confirmed nor denied it.) Not sure if that means the sex between Maloney Jr. and Rose was consensual or not. I'd guess it was, because if she was willing to go to such extremes to not lie for them, I can't see her taking a pittance of a handout and working for them as a cleaner if she'd been raped. And then Maloney Sr. probably treated her badly in the wake of her pregnancy, hence her hatred and fear.

I'll be sorry if this means an expanded role for Wes next fall, unless they start things off by showing his inevitable death. Then I can struggle through a Wes heavy season.

Have to disagree with you guys on wanting Frank to come further clean with Laurel. That ship seems to have sailed. She's not believing him anyway, and the less she knows, the better off he is. This way when she spills, as she did, it causes more WTFery. I still like that he decided to confess to her something that involved none of the others. Like not that he drugged Catherine, or splattered her with blood, or buried Rebecca, which ultimately all are primarily about other people's crimes.

Question: What was the point of that scene with Frank and that woman he met in the bar? What did that have to do with anything?

Wasn't that in the flashback? I assumed the point was to show he's always been a bit of a player/dog, but that he's matured a lot, come more into his own and has more self confidence. I think his acting in the flashbacks is great. You really see a difference.
  • Love 1

I figure Papa Maloney isn't Wes's father, but his grandfather. With his racism, I just don't see him having any kind of relationship with Rose, and assume part of his dislike stems from anger that his son did. (Annalise accused him, but he neither confirmed nor denied it.)

It's a dicey area we are treading, but rape is about power over a woman, and, assuming he did it, it was not about a relationship with Rose, but power, ownership, etc. Papa, the racist, would be a perfect fit for that.  He owns her, uses her, owns her child.  That's how he would think.

You do raise an interesting theory about the son...would he have been old enough to have a son of Wes/Christophe's age?

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

I appreciated Asher's apology. He can be a complete ass sometimes, but that is the most gratitude and self awareness any of the K5 have shown so far, I think. If their sense of entitlement bugs me so much, I have to acknowledge Asher in that scene. Changes nothing, but still.

What are the chances that Michaela didn't hang up the call to Caleb properly?

Her dancing was extremely cringe worthy. Painful to watch. Great job with that scene.

I figure Papa Maloney isn't Wes's father, but his grandfather. With his racism, I just don't see him having any kind of relationship with Rose, and assume part of his dislike stems from anger that his son did. (Annalise accused him, but he neither confirmed nor denied it.) Not sure if that means the sex between Maloney Jr. and Rose was consensual or not. I'd guess it was, because if she was willing to go to such extremes to not lie for them, I can't see her taking a pittance of a handout and working for them as a cleaner if she'd been raped. And then Maloney Sr. probably treated her badly in the wake of her pregnancy, hence her hatred and fear.

I'll be sorry if this means an expanded role for Wes next fall, unless they start things off by showing his inevitable death. Then I can struggle through a Wes heavy season.

Have to disagree with you guys on wanting Frank to come further clean with Laurel. That ship seems to have sailed. She's not believing him anyway, and the less she knows, the better off he is. This way when she spills, as she did, it causes more WTFery. I still like that he decided to confess to her something that involved none of the others. Like not that he drugged Catherine, or splattered her with blood, or buried Rebecca, which ultimately all are primarily about other people's crimes.

Wasn't that in the flashback? I assumed the point was to show he's always been a bit of a player/dog, but that he's matured a lot, come more into his own and has more self confidence. I think his acting in the flashbacks is great. You really see a difference.

My primary theory is that it's because of Papa Mahoney's racism that he raped Rose. She isn't a person to him. She's a toy, a play thing to use as he sees fit and keeps in line by threatening her son. Rose goes to extremes because she knows how vengeful he can be.  I don't think Rose had an affair with Jr Mahoney. He's barely a character so other than needing Rose to be his alibi I don't think there's anything there. Besides for all the twist and turns this show likes to throw at it's viewers the answer to the mysteries are almost always pretty straight forward. When Lila was discovered murdered, the first words out of Annalise's mouth was "I bet the boyfriend did it." Convoluted as the answer was, it was indeed the boyfriend (Sam via Frank). Annalise quickly figured out why Rose was so fearful. Papa Mahoney has been violating her for quite some time. Viewers guessed that long ago.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 7

Kudos to Viola once again. It's unusual -- groundbreaking maybe? -- that the lead character of a broadcast network show is so thoroughly unpleasant. And not in a sexy, anti-hero, I'm not here to make friends way. But someone who lashes out so vindictively and effectively that you can't help but assume that everyone in their life is a victim of some kind of Stockholm Syndrome. She just goes for it, and it's amazing to watch.

Kudos also to Adam Arkin. I've loved him for years but never knew he could be so menacing and cold.

Edited: because Alan and Adam are not the same person, thanks for the reminder.

Edited by rubyred
  • Love 4