Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Birthday Suits

• Start Topic

This season really is the worst. When it's this obvious that producer shenanigans are happening to keep their favorite in the competition, it's time for me to either bail or hate watch. I may do the latter for a while, but man... Sam is just insufferable. I didn't watch Under the Gunn so I had no idea, but hoo boy!

I did, however, think Emily deserved the win. I also got a reminder why I liked Dom in her season--her attitude toward Lloyd pinged my memory about her general excitement and positivity about the challenges leading up to her win. It wasn't until she sided witht he mean girls at the reunion that I got a bit soured on her.

• Love 8

Something weird about me, okay several things.  I enjoyed this episode.  I enjoyed the challenge.  I liked a lot of the designs, especially Kini's.  Thank you for pointing out he has made this outfit before.  I honestly didn't remember that.   Mitchell's outfit was like, Baggy Sexy, and yes I do think that is a thing.  

I never really notice what Alyssa wears, and I really like her as a person (don't throw things at me).  But I do always think she dresses for maternity regardless of being preggers, or not, which is weird.  The people who style for this show must be the bottom of the barrel in their profession.

Look, I thought it was VERY cute that Alyssa wore something with huge buttons on it, to present the button bag!  

I have to admit I snorted when Joanna said, completely deadpan:  "So I heard that you had a Revealing Runway today."

Something VERY weird:  It seems like the contestants had enough time to do their challenge this episode!  How much time was it?  Weird, huh?  Maybe because they wanted to treat the nudists with some dignity?  And then it actually showed by having Four Tops this time.

I didn't like Valerie's at all obviously, but Layana's was WTF for me too.  Was that a fucking jumpsuit or what?  Everything under the red leather jacket was confusing and bad.

Ken said he wished that he added "arm candy"?  LOL did he mean a watch?  

Alexander:  "I don't know who's going to be eliminated this week.  Maybe Valerie, cuz, I hate it?"

Hilarious.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
What was the point of the people being naturists & having them walk the runway naked? Besides the fact the everyone could giggle because there were naked people.

Gratuitous nudity was the point. There is no deeper explanation than that.

I bet they were pissed they had a blind runway since if they knew it was Sam's design they would have scored it higher to keep him out of the bottom and would have put Ken in the bottom but I suspect they though Sam made Ken's look.

I have a grassy knoll theory about the "blind runway." The runway may be blind, but does that mean the entire first round of judging is? There doesn't seem to be any numerical scoring. I bet they tell them who made what before they choose the top and bottom.

The guest blogger judge was a pleasant surprise! I was prepared to hate her for being a "fashion blogger" but she was legit.

I was planning to hate her too. The only guest judges I dislike more than bloggers are You Tubers and D-List reality show people. But she was pretty good. Or at least she was not annoying and that counts for a lot.

As for MItchell complaining about living in Florida and them not having winter, he should have designed something that is worn in Florida during the winter months. 

Yep. Just like Emily did. One of my PR pet peeves is when a designer whines about having to make something they've never done before. I don't do menswear. I don't do red carpet. I don't do plus size. I've never made pants before. I have no patience for that. Mitch whining about making winter wear was pathetic. You're a fashion designer. An ALL-STAR fashion designer, and you've never made long pants and long sleeves for a woman? Never made a jacket? He should be embarrassed to make that statement.

• Love 2

/small voice/ I liked Valerie's coat. I would have worn it back in the day. It was a little bulky, but I liked the style, the hood, and the gray/citron contrast. Wear it to a football game or sitting out at a bonfire, or strolling through the park on a fall day with boots and skinny jeans. I thought it was cute.

I liked it, too. I thought it looked very robelike, but I liked it anyway and would have worn it when I was younger and smaller.

• Love 2

/small voice/ I liked Valerie's coat. I would have worn it back in the day. It was a little bulky, but I liked the style, the hood, and the gray/citron contrast. Wear it to a football game or sitting out at a bonfire, or strolling through the park on a fall day with boots and skinny jeans. I thought it was cute.

There's what started as a single craftsperson Etsy store selling essentially Valerie's coat which had to open a factory because they were that popular.

• Love 1

This is the first time I can remember were at least a several of the contestants made nice looking men's wear

Comments:

Emily:  This was a very nice outfit, but I wouldn't have made it the winner.  That said, the colors and the shape were interesting and the garment was wearable.  I'm not sure if it really qualifies as a winter outfit, you'd need a real coat over that.

Sam:  Dear lord, that looks like some bad thrift store shopping.  He should have gone home.

Mitchell:  I really liked this.  Project Runaway historically has major issues with men's wear.  This outfit was flattering, wearable, and the customer appeared to really like it.   This would have been one of my candidates for winner.

Valerie:  OMG, this sucked so bad.  She deserved to be in the bottom, but at least she put more thought into her outfit than Sam did, but they were bad, bad thoughts.

Kini:  Too bad that coat didn't fit right.  I'm tired of that 80's power suit floppy bow, but otherwise, this was a very good outfit.  Deserved to be a top design, but not the winner.

Dom:  This was one of my candidates for winner, she should have been in the top along with Mitchell.  I loved this funky and fun outfit that was still appropriate for an older man to wear.   Bravo.

Ken:  WTF didn't any of the judges call him out on this monstrosity?   I'm all for gender bending, especially if the client is up for it, but that outfit was a saggy, unflattering, mono-toned mess.   A kilt can take a man from average to hubba-bubba.  Ken's outfit made his client look like he'd really pissed off some knitters who forced him to wear that mess.   That should have been in the bottom, right along with Valerie and Sam.

Sam's cutsie crap is getting on my last nerve.

• Love 4

I came in late last night, and I only saw the runway and non-elimination part of the show.  I liked the coat, but I think she paired it with what looked like print leggings. It seemed inconsistent.  With that bulky--and presumably warm--a coat I would think a person would want something warmer on their legs. I have not idea what material she used as I missed the first part. I agree it would have been a much better look with skinny jeans and boots.  I am too old and not thin enough to wear that look, but I would have worn it when I was younger (at least with the jeans and boots).  And I could have done without the "naked" runway.  That may have been the worst idea ever on this show and would be a great reason for blind judging. Speaking of which, maybe it is me, but after 2-3 episodes of a season I start smirking when they talk about "blind judging" and how they don't know who made what while they keep telling the contestants they need to have a point of view.  When the contestants have a point of view, you can usually pick out their work on the runway without being told who the designer is.  So with each episode it becomes easier to recognize what design belongs to whom.  I am sure I wore Sam's design to work in the 80's; it was a bit dreary then, and he certainly didn't brighten it up.  Mine was definitely better made. I am sorry to sound like a grump but I want to enjoy this show, and I just can't---this season is terrible.  The winning look last night was okay, just okay.

• Love 2
The blue colour is bad enough, but then we have the devil horns or whatever.

I think the color is awesome. It's the mullet that I question profoundly.

Emily (don't know her age) is too old to be sporting that, um, whatever the hell look that is supposed to be.  Blue horned hair and orangey-pink eye shadow, WTF?

Ugh, there's no such thing as being too old to do what you want with your own hair and makeup. I'm in my 40s and guess what--I'm old enough to dye my hair blue (have visible tattoos/pierced nose/micromini dresses--whatever the ageism du jour is) whenever I want.

It irks me the way the designers ooh and ahh over Alyssa's outfit when she walks onto the runway, because Alyssa usually looks like ten kinds of a fool.

I loved that big poofy bun though! And to me, she looked better this week than she has. I don't know what's with her, but she looks horrid lately.

I liked Mitchell's. I mean, I don't know that I'd pick the outfit for my BF or anything but it looked to me like a real runway thing. Who knew?

I think Sam's work was the worst. Not the least bit innovative; it could be found right now today at anyplace "mainstream"* people buy clothes--Kohl's or even Sears, only it would likely be constructed correctly! 

* No judgment, just illustrating that, while kind of a classic ensemble, it's not an outfit that needs to be created by a designer (or anyone, because it's already here and has been forever), especially not a designer trying to win a contest.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

one thing that bothered me was the fact that this was winter wear and how many of the "coats had shorter sleeves.  I hate 3/4 sleeves with a passion and no way would I want to wear a coat in the winter with shorter sleeves.

Yes to this and the above posters who pointed out that this was a challenge to design outer wear for a NY winter. Spare me the 'it's for a Florida winter' or 'my person lives in California' crap--then put them in a bathing suit. I live in the Northeast and it's frigging cold here in a normal winter with at least a few days you can count of sub-zero temps + wind + snow + ice. Anyone with a brain dresses in layers with a hat, scarf and gloves or mittens and serious boots. The only garment which seemed to come close was that gray, hooded thing which, while a bit bulky, could have been warm. Down is common come January around here--maybe not fashionable, but warm and  warm means comfortable when its' 15 degrees and the wind is whipping.

And yes, Sam sucks as a designer and as  a human being and needs to go away.

• Love 3

Again five episodes in, two non-eliminations and I still want to know why Alyssa wore that outfit that first day that looked like she was trying to shoplift a fire hose.

Coming out of lurkdom to say, NAILED IT. I'm okay with Alyssa as a host, and she is forever lovely to look at,  but yeah, she seriously needs a new stylist.

I wanted Kini's outfit -- don't care what the judges think.

Sam? SHOO... just go.

Edited by Minicatfall

1. Emily shouldn't have won -- Michell should have won the challenge.  I'm not a fan of Mitchell, but I hate when there is a real person challenge and they end up rewarding the designer who had the easiest or prettiest model.  That is BS.  I think they should have rewarded the designer who had a difficult situation.  Mitchell had a kinda nerdy looking guy, with a very average body, and a man.  Him churning out a good looking outfit in spite of all of those obstacles is a much bigger win than Emily making a skinny pretty blonde girl look good.

2. Fashion blogger as guest judge?  -- I'm tired of this trend, I can't take anything they say seriously.  "Well, this California girl loves it!" "Just because you can do everything doesn't mean you should do everything"  Everything she said sounded like a cross between her personal opinions and something that you might read in a fortune cookie.  I felt sorry for the very real, very accomplished designer that had to sit next to her presumably in the same position as guest judge.

3. Oh Sam, I thought fashion was a contact sport and you had to have a thick skin?  You're busy crying and getting offended over people telling you the truth?  Maybe you shouldn't be such a little shit handing it out if you can't take it.  Your outfit was terrible and you both should have gone home.

• Love 15

I believe Zanna said that in the workroom (though I don't remember to whom she said it).

Oh, that would explain it - I usually block out anything that Zanna says because she is usually less than helpful.   :-)

• Love 4

I didn't like Valerie's at all obviously, but Layana's was WTF for me too.  Was that a fucking jumpsuit or what?  Everything under the red leather jacket was confusing and bad.

Oh yes- Leyana's was terrible and I'm surprised it didn't land her in the bottom.  The jacket was nice, but was that some sort of thermal jumpsuit she made underneath?  A onesie?  WTF was any of that??

The strangest thing about them having four top looks was Alyssa having to explain it.  There have been other times where they have only had two bottom looks, or thats the way it came off to me and no one said a thing.  

• Love 4

I bet they were pissed they had a blind runway since if they knew it was Sam's design they would have scored it higher to keep him out of the bottom and would have put Ken in the bottom but I suspect they though Sam made Ken's look.

Like how is it remotely a blind runway, though, if Alyssa was there when each designer was choosing their naturist?

• Love 8

The other thing I thought was that Valerie's coat/robe thing was the only thing on the runway that actually spoke to the challenge of "wiinter wear", and would keep her model warm.  At least Emily stated that her girl was from California, so her outfit was "California winter"...the other female model's outfits wouldn't work well in most places that actually have cold winter temperatures.  

I was surprised that the judges did not call the designers out for not really following the challenge.

I remember seeing in a clip that Alyssa said something like "That wouldn't work for a New York winter", but don't remember hearing it during the actual runway or judging.  Did I miss it?  Who's design did she that about?

I don't mind Emily, but the "California winter" comment bugged me. I felt pretty certain that they were supposed to be dressing their clients for a New York winter. After all, that's where the show is filmed. Even Zanna was reminding contestants about making sure the clothes fit into the winter scheme.

I saw that clip too and didn't hear it during the judging.

• Love 2
I didn't like Valerie's at all obviously, but Layana's was WTF for me too.  Was that a fucking jumpsuit or what?  Everything under the red leather jacket was confusing and bad.

And oh my, wasn't Layana just so in love with that red jacket and those arm details.  It was like she wanted to make out with it when she purred about how wonderful it was when her model went down the runway.

The flannel onesie underneath was horrible.

• Love 4

Did Alyssa say it was for a New York winter? I don't remember hearing that. I know Zanna said it, but by then the designers already had their materials and had started their garments. Then again, I fast forward through most of these episodes, I I might have missed that.

Edited by sleepyjean

That was a total waste of time. I liked Emily's stuff, but that was about it. And that is because I like Emily. Though she does look rather like an Evil-Lyn doll from the 80s He-Man show. My brothers had one. Anywho, I think I'm going to have to break with this show for a while and come back later. I can't stand the drama, the clothes are (overall) sub-par, and this "no one is going home" schtick only works if you are going to have a quadruple elimination down the line. I'm not that desperate for something to watch. See ya'll later on down the season..........

• Love 2

For their next magical trick, the producers will revert to what the "judges" on Under the Gunn did and have the judges toss the decision back to the mentor/contestants.  Maybe that would be better than letting someone stay just 'cause, but it bothered me so much on UTG.  What a nightmare that whole thing was....

• Love 2

Dom was robbed.  The silver fox looked TERRIFIC and he OWNED that look.  (Notable since "runway confidence" is suddenly such a crucial factor in both bottom looks.) The coat was a great look by itself and the straight line chevrons were nice with the curvy camo print underneath.  She got dismissed on the weaksauce excuse that the client being ex-military made it all too obvious?  Well, so just fuck all that nonsense about talking to your clients and designing with respect to their tastes and comfort zones.

My stomach has been churning from Day One that Ken's client in the real-people challenge would be some less than perfect shy woman who would wind up in tears.  Thank God he got the world's easiest going client and the whole thing slid in and out without remark or drama. 

To me, the winning look was solid middle-pack.

Zanna abandoned sixth grade and went with a peignoir this week.  Hee.

The oversize coat in the bottom could have been cool worn more casually over black pants and boots.  Sam forgetting that he should allow for the proportions of a butt when he made the TWO cuts necessary to produce a circle skirt:  inexcusable.

• Love 6

My stomach has been churning from Day One that Ken's client in the real-people challenge would be some less than perfect shy woman who would wind up in tears.  Thank God he got the world's easiest going client and the whole thing slid in and out without remark or drama. 

To me, the winning look was solid middle-pack.

Zanna abandoned sixth grade and went with a peignoir this week.  Hee.

The oversize coat in the bottom could have been cool worn more casually over black pants and boots.  Sam forgetting that he should allow for the proportions of a butt when he made the TWO cuts necessary to produce a circle skirt:  inexcusable.

oddly enough, I think that would be in Ken's wheelhouse.  He seems very attached to his mother and other women in his life, who I imagine look less than perfect.  I suspect he has had to make dresses for various grannies, and aunties for years and would know how to accentuate the good and try to hide the bad.  Ven's problem was that he wanted to create this high and conceptual "art" which was fine, but for the real person challenge you have to work with a real person, who is not 97 pounds, and 6 feet tall.

I think Ken got paired with the right guy though, because I think traditional menswear would have really been a challenge for him (although, he might have convinced the of the younger guys with a hot body to wear a skirt...which would have been interesting)  I'm surprised that they didn't ask Ken a few questions about it, at the very least

That poor woman (Sam's client).  That was the most unfortunate skirt.  It says something that the woman looked far better naked.  

• Love 3
Is it insane that I found myself rooting for Mitchell tonight, especially when Sam was struggling with his John Deere plaid coat and that ugly, circa-1980 skirt and sweater?? And I don't even like Mitchell!

I can no longer say that Mitchell's never made a good outfit, ever, on the show because tonight he made something pretty good.  That's one outfit in two seasons.  Does he belong on All-Stars?  Not by any stretch of the imagination whatsoever.  Can he go next week?  Yes, please.  Pretty please.  But tonight he actually made something decent. Stopped clock and all that.

This show (and it's cousins, the other PR shows) have officially jumped the shark, lost any shred of credibility, proved that their vaunted  competitions are a load of BS. I keep wondering what production meeting came down with the decision to throw out any real design concerns and turn this into the Real Housewives of the Design Studio.

Project Runway Juniors is the one exception: that show had integrity and focused on the designs rather than bitchiness and idiotic personal drama.  Otherwise, I'm in full agreement.

This is only the fifth episode but this is the second time we've had a non-elimination. Unless they do two double eliminations, that means they are just dragging out this damn season even longer than necessary.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did two double-eliminations; but it will have to be a time when two contestants the producers decided from the beginning wouldn't go to the finals are on the bottom.  The producers decided on day one that Sam will be in the final three, so he can't be eliminated. 

Let's put it this way: if Mitchell and Alexander Pope had made the exact same outfits as Sam and Valerie did tonight, then... well, Alexander Pope would have been kicked off (no matter which one of the outfits he made) because the producers decided from day one that he won't be in the final three.  Mitchell wouldn't have gone because some idiot producer at PR thinks he's absolutely wonderful tv.  Mitchell won't make the final three, but his "storyline" has been determined up to a very specific week, I'm absolutely certain.  This goes back to what was said above about "credibility."  PR's lost it (except for Juniors)  and I think pretty much anyone who's watched the show in the long-run knows it.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 5

I don't have many kind words to say about Ken, but he for sure would have taken his client's booty into consideration when making pants or a skirt, so that it would, you know, fit.  And hopefully show it off.

Many of these designers are like that with booty and breasts - they forget that many of the women who might be their potential clients likely have drastically different measurements than a model, which means their clothes have to be designed differently to highlight and feature those parts.

Wasn't there a designer who, when called out by the judges during runway, claimed that he wouldn't be designing for women who didn't look like 12 year old boys (he didn't use that phrase, but that's what he meant)?  Was that actually even Sam who said that during his season?  I know he was the one who claimed to not know how to tell time by the analog clock in the workroom. 

(I've watched every season of this show, so I might be jumbling up my designers, and could just be hating on Sam in a bitch eating crackers kind of way)

• Love 1

I had to come out of lurking for this one with a few thoughts:

I hated Ken's and it has nothing to do with putting a man in a skirt.  It just looked ill fitting and sloppy to me.  And if the challenge was for a NY winter, then, you don't wear all white.  I have no problem with a white sweater, but that skirt would be splashed with little drops of mud and dirt by the end of an outing.

I liked Sam's outfit when I wore it--in 1982. I also didn't have a problem with Valerie's coat for the reasons listed by others.

Who said that they were embarassed after the models left?  I think there were two of them that admitted it, although, a few of them looked uncomfortable.  I felt bad for them getting stuck in that situation.  I know the human body is nothing to be ashamed of and we all have the same parts etc, etc, etc.... but some people are just uncomfortable being confronted with nudity while in the company of others.  I'm much better with it than I used to be, but even now at my age, it's a little weird at times.

Speaking of nudity--a mother and her grown son in same naturist group?  Ew.

Project Runway Juniors is the one exception: that show had integrity and focused on the designs rather than bitchiness and idiotic personal drama.  Otherwise, I'm in full agreement.

I loved Project Runway Juniors.  It was such a breath of fresh air.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 5

Wasn't there a designer who, when called out by the judges during runway, claimed that he wouldn't be designing for women who didn't look like 12 year old boys (he didn't use that phrase, but that's what he meant)?  Was that actually even Sam who said that during his season?  I know he was the one who claimed to not know how to tell time by the analog clock in the workroom.

That wasn't Sam, that was Blake, but it's an understandable mistake. They're both far less talented or skilled than the judges pretended they are (they cast Blake based on a show he did in design school, which he hadn't graduated yet), and they both got lots of screen time to alternate between flinging their shit at people like dyspeptic chimps and being impossibly twee.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

Thank you, Julia!

Also, I totally agree about the joy that is the PR Juniors version of this show.  A million times better, nicer, less drama, and far less producer manipulation and product placements.  And really great designs.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
Who said that they were embarassed after the models left?  I think there were two of them that admitted it, although, a few of them looked uncomfortable.  I felt bad for them getting stuck in that situation.  I know the human body is nothing to be ashamed of and we all have the same parts etc, etc, etc.... but some people are just uncomfortable being confronted with nudity while in the company of others.  I'm much better with it than I used to be, but even now at my age, it's a little weird at times.

Here's my question.  I was reading up on naturists (yes, yes, actually reading :-)), because I was wondering why several of the men on the show obviously shave their bodies and several of the women have bikini tan lines.  I had the misunderstanding that naturists live at nudist colonies and go around naked all the time.  Not true (sorry about my naive-ness to any naturists out there). 

Turns out that many naturists only go for the fully naked thing at certain places and certain events; they don't tend to pop up at public places and demand to be nude.  Things like body shaving are a matter of choice; it's not usually "the body is beautiful so let's see it completely in its natural state" as I'd also mistakenly believed. 

Point is:  many naturists consider where and when its appropriate to be fully naked.  So other than PR saying "dhurrr hurrr hurrr, let's put a bunch of necked people on our tv show" why were these obviously part-time naturists (tan-lines and all, remember) naked on the runway at all?  And more importantly, what did being naked have to do with a winter-wear challenge?

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 6

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Sorry, had to.

I would love to see the designers confront the judges about the blatant unfairness of making up the elimination rules as they go along.   Obviously there's a simmering dissatisfaction in the ranks.    They don't like Sam, they know Sam already got a reprieve because Kini saved him, and they're sick of his smug assholery.   Can you imagine how infuriating it must have been knowing there was at least a 50/50 chance that Sam was going to get his comeuppance, only to see him stroll through the door safe because the judges bent the rules for him?

And it seemed like he did more than just stroll through the door, he gave a triumphant little jump behind that scrim thing and then practically acted like he had won once he stepped into the room! No mention of how he thought his ass was grass, nor an, Ooh boy that was a white-knuckle finish! Just a sense, to me of entitlement.

I was pleased with the others' responses. Pleased and surprised! Guess he needs to work on that thick skin thing.

And didn't he even "joke" with Kini about using him for anther win? Or something? I think it was when he was all panicky looking for extra fabric.

Agree with all displeased with the gratuitous display of nudity. Made absolutely no sense, especially in the context of this challenge. We're all naked, under our clothes.

• Love 6

And it seemed like he did more than just stroll through the door, he gave a triumphant little jump behind that scrim thing and then practically acted like he had won once he stepped into the room! No mention of how he thought his ass was grass, nor an, Ooh boy that was a white-knuckle finish! Just a sense, to me of entitlement.

Topped off with his talking head in which he vows to take out the others one by one, politely (cue dramatic orchestra)

• Love 2

Granted this is PRAS, so the mandate for the challenge was of course muddled and never made completely clear.  Because suddenly winter in California became acceptable.  Not that the directions didn't rule it out, but then why not winter on the Equator and send down the naturalist naked with a smart bow in his or her hair?  Wrongly I got the sense that the idea was to take someone who normally would want to be naked to dressing them in winter wear.  You can shovel on the shit and claim it is winter wear, well anywhere, but in the end I think either production needs to get its collective head out of its ass to hone mandates or the judges need to make them hold to whatever the mandate is and we do not hear in full due to constraints.  And the need for yet another loophole for the judges to award a design and forget the parameters of the challenge. 

Mitchell is hardly the best source, but he seemed to think he had to do winter wear.  Not winter wear adjusted to fit whatever I want to do and pick a climate to fit.  Zanna, as well, not the best source, seems though to be in a better position and she chided Layana for the weight of her coat.  Yet notice we saw an incredibly glossed over review with Emily with Zanna.  So I suspect that once again they set out a challenge with more specific guidelines and then threw them out via editing when it came time to hand out the award for best.

Asha, Emily and at least one other person did not make winter wear.  I don't care how they parsed it.  I don't care that we are having spring weather when growing up, March still entered like a lion.  With a hyena trying to chew its way up its ass.  I want sleeves and I want something that provides more warmth than what they put forth.  Don't get me started on Ken creating a sheath for a pair of ballsicles.  I don't care what I have to wear underneath, I don't care how mild it was winter wise as a whole.  I'm not wearing a skirt and letting my balls dangle in a drafty fashion forward wind tunnel in the zero degree weather we had howling down 5th Ave just a few weeks ago. 

Mitchell did stun me.  I usually do not like the sloppy line look but here he managed to not just make it look sharp and clean but also used it perfectly for his model's body type and his posture and attitude.  It was spot on. Either his or Dom's deserved the win in my eyes.  Both met what seemed to be the challenge's criteria and both were stylish and yet so clearly made for their models.   I hate to say it but I was impressed with Mitchell not just performing to the task but he seemed to express his own concerns to grasp the model's feelings openly and in a way that was genuinely engaging.  Others seemed too wary or seemed to be trying too hard. 

For me I think the use of the naturalists would have made more sense if they had made the challenge even stricter and said they were to make something that followed the philosophy of nothing and yet provided the ultimate warmth as wearable fashion.  Simply design winter outwear that captures the philosophy and comfort of preferring no clothing when possible.   Or maybe a look that can go from winter's coldest to naturalists' inside retreat at its warmest.  Then they could have done a more logical gratuitous attempt at a runway and have the models come out to show the winter wear and then strip down on the runway since that is really what they wanted.  A gasp and awe strip show. 

My conspiracy theory?  Not only did they bend over backwards to keep Sam, they didn't give the win to Mitchell because they were worried it would knock Sam too much of a loop that he might not even come close enough to a "recovery" they could plausibly hand him a win.  I'm keeping that right next to Coca-Cola not being able to return to the true original recipe after the failure of New Coke and have been serving unsuspecting consumers a third recipe along since.

• Love 5

fd At first I was interested in the "naturist" thing, but now I'm realizing that it was just the real person challenge with a hook to get people to click on links about the show.  Everything was geared towards sensationalizing the "naked" aspect of the show.  But the nudity really didn't have anything to do with it.  It wasn't a "naked" runway because the models walked the runway with their clothes on.  I was thinking they were going to make them all winter coats and have them flash on the runway or something along those lines.  

And I've always hated PR when it hands out the "real model" win to someone who gets a naturally skinny, easy to work with model.  I think thats BS.  It especially annoys me when a designer is handed the "butterfly,"  the skinny woman with a great body who wears glasses, or has frizzy hair, and all the designer has to do is throw the model in a dress, take them to the hair salon, pop in some contacts and the judges fall all over themselves claiming that the designer is a genius for making such an amazing transformation.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 7

At this point I'm hate watching this show. I FF through a lot of it sometimes anyway.

And another no one goes home at the end challenge. I hate when they do that. Sam should have gone home. And how was Ken safe? A white pleated skirt?

I did like the design by Emily and was ok with her winning. Maybe it's my TV but I have hard time seeing the dark colored fabrics clearly. Some of the men's wear actually looked good.

Dom was robbed.  The silver fox looked TERRIFIC and he OWNED that look.  (Notable since "runway confidence" is suddenly such a crucial factor in both bottom looks.) The coat was a great look by itself and the straight line chevrons were nice with the curvy camo print underneath.  She got dismissed on the weaksauce excuse that the client being ex-military made it all too obvious?  Well, so just fuck all that nonsense about talking to your clients and designing with respect to their tastes and comfort zones.

I must admit that I am a little, no, A LOT, tired of camo EVERYTHING....but, that shirt really seemed to work with Dom's model.  Not to say that I swooned a little when I saw him walk the runway....a silver fox, indeed!!  Very, very handsome man who seemed like he had a sense of humor and a good sport.  

Hmmm...wonder if he's married??  Oh, forget it - I am not, nor will I ever be, a naturalist, so there goes that idea!  (Plus, I'm happily married, but a girl can fantasize, can't she?)    ;-)

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 8

So.... who is it Sam is the secret love-child of/has compromising photos of/is holding hostage the family of?  I do not get this non-elimination at all, and I think it has happened on occasion that a winner one week has gone home the next, and if that's what happens, so be it.  It's blatant that they're wanting him and Mitchell to stay on and feud.  Could they please pay attention to the joy and fun of PR Juniors?   People can be good designers and keep our interest without cattiness, the proof is there.  

• Love 2

Like how is it remotely a blind runway, though, if Alyssa was there when each designer was choosing their naturist?

I haven't understood how they can call anything a blind challenge when the designers are sitting across the runway mugging, smirking and grinning when their own designs come out and the other designers all make comments about 'great jacket' or 'love that!'. I mean, seriously.

I totally agree about the joy that is the PR Juniors version of this show.  A million times better, nicer, less drama, and far less producer manipulation and product placements.  And really great designs.

Too true. I wonder how  this happened. For real. Different producers? Different casting people? Different director? It's so clearly a different direction that there has to be some conscious decision behind it beyond simply  not destroying the young kids self-esteem and confidence.

• Love 2

I haven't understood how they can call anything a blind challenge when the designers are sitting across the runway mugging, smirking and grinning when their own designs come out and the other designers all make comments about 'great jacket' or 'love that!'. I mean, seriously.

Snipped...

I think they used to do a runway judging without the designers sitting there but then the designers were brought in for filming.

But I also have to think that the judges can often tell who made what even w/o the designers' names attached. Frequently each designer has an identifiable aesthetic.

And that made me wonder why the judges could not then alter their opinions to fit their fave.

• Love 1

Project Runway is not a game show. Game shows have questions with only one answer or a range of acceptable answers. Fashion is subjective; different people have different opinions. I think the show plans to be flexible to allow either no one to be sent home or two people, depending on the task.  I actually agree that if both bottom outfits are bad to either save both or send both home.

The US Government disagrees with you with regard to subjective skill-based televised game shows being exempt from the law.

Here's the law:  https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2009-title47/pdf/USCODE-2009-title47-chap5-subchapV-sec509.pdf

But in either case, Project Runway is following what you recommend and the law if the rules are made clear to the contestants in advance that one, two, or no people could be sent home from any challenge.

It has crossed my mind to wonder if Sam didn't choose plaid as a signal to the judges after last week's win with a windowpane textile, only to realize that he has no idea how to work with plaid (did anyone believe that he dropped that because of his client's reaction?) Because Isaac more or less admitted that Sam's garment was at the bottom because he couldn't pick it out as Sam's.

Funny how important being 'just a sewer' becomes when you aren't one.

• Love 5

I'm pretty sure this (and Top Chef, and Hell's Kitchen) are classified differently, because they all have disclaimers saying that producers take part in elimination decisions, which is precisely what the game show laws were passed to prevent.

• Love 1

Also, WTF was with everyone acting as if the naturalists never ever wear clothes... Clothes being 'out of their comfort zone.' Blerg.

Stupid, yes.  But it's because otherwise why are they there and does the challenge have a point?  And why WERE they there?  The challenge DIDN'T have a real point.

Topped off by zero eliminations, so I guess the show agreed that this challenge had no real point. 

I liked Emily's, Mitchell's and while Ken's was just OK that was at least a thoughtful approach.  A challenge around androgynous/gender neutral dressing would be a lot more interesting and involve some choices that involved, you know, actual design.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I forget what season of PR All Stars it was, Season 3 or 4?  But I remember mentioning in one of these threads how refreshing the season was because nobody was fighting with each other.  I think it had to be the season with Elena in it, so Season 3.  Everyone was concentrating on the work, and the designers were VERY familiar and friendly with one another, and the episodes were drama free.

I guess I just want to defend the franchise in general a bit.  I guess it's obvious to us all that whoever cast this season did a horrible job ... maybe because so many other designers probably refused.    I personally don't actually prefer Project Runway Juniors over PR: Regular or PR: All Stars.  It was fine, I guess, and definitely better than this season, but they decided to bring in trash like Asha and Sam which doesn't help their cause.....

Look at the calibre of contestants that were cast in PR All Stars Season 3, and their ranking within their ORIGINAL seasons.  All-Stars indeed.  All 4th place finishers or above, with the exception of Elena, whose "sparkling personality" was too good to pass up I suppose.

Designers[edit]
Designer Age Place of Residence Original Season Original Rank 
Ari South [3] 26 Honolulu, HI Season 8 3rd 
Daniel Esquivel 49 Austin, TX Season 11 4th 
Melissa Fleis 32 San Francisco, CA Season 10 3rd 
Mychael Knight 35 Atlanta, GA Season 3 4th 
Jeffrey Sebelia 43 Los Angeles, CA Season 3 Winner 
Irina Shabayeva 31 New York, NY Season 6 Winner 
Viktor Luna 32 New York, NY Season 9 3rd 
Christopher Palu 25 Massapequa, NY Season 10 4th 
Elena Slivnyak 29 San Francisco, CA Season 10 6th
Korto Momolu 38 Little Rock, AR Season 5 Runner-up
Seth Aaron Henderson 42 Vancouver, WA Season 7 Winner 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Am I the only one who thought it was rude for the female naturists not to cover their breasts when they

were getting their hair and makeup done? After all, the hair and makeup people are just doing the jobs they're getting paid for. Unlike the designers, they're not in line to win anything. No reason why they should be made to feel uncomfortable too.

There's a lot of nudity involved in actual fashion shows and modelling.  I doubt very much if the hair and make-up people were uncomfortable with male or female nudity.

• Love 10

Does anyone else think that the judges may have thought that Emily's was Sam's? What with the plaid and streamline look (similar to Sam's coat and Sam/Kini's plants?). They probably did target Sam's outfit to be eliminated, but then when they realized it was his, changed this to non-eliminated. The judges really didn't think this through. At the next challenge, when a designer is eliminated due to a much better outfit than what Sam sent down the runway, their biases will become crystal clear. It already seems like the designers have figured out the direction of the season. I'm so glad that they didn't let Sam off the hook, even when fake crying...

• Love 3

OMG, how in the world is Sam safe?  Really, judges?  I thought you were smoking crack last week keeping Mitchell around, but to keep Sam when he obviously should have been sent packing?  Now I know for sure there are some shenanigans afoot.

All Sam's outfit needed was a pair of clogs, some knee-high socks and a giant gold safety pin and it would have been an outfit I wore to school back in '79/'80.

I can't believe I actually like Mitchell's design.  I haven't liked a single thing he's made all season, nor even in his original season.  But he really made his design fit a "real body" and made it look flattering on his model, who did not have the perfect male model figure.  Mitchell should consider switching to menswear because this was 100x better than any female garment he's churned out.

I really loved Emily's color choice, but I wouldn't have picked it for the win.  I thought Dom nailed it with her look for the silver fox military man.  I'm stumped as to why the judges thought she shouldn't have taken in to consideration his background?  Aren't designers supposed to listen to their clients????  Again, the judges are on crack!

Which brings me to Valerie.  She listened to what her client wanted and gave her what she wanted.  Was it very fashionable?  No.  But she at least delivered what was requested.  I hated the color choice and the leggings.  As stated further up-thread, a pair of plain, dark leggings would have pulled it together a bit better.  She should have played up the "it's a blanket, it's a coat" dual-functionality.  In any case, the fit was poor & bulky, but in no way was it worse than Sam's.

I cannot stand the fact that it's so obvious they're keeping their little catty-boy Sam around for drama.  UGH!!!!! 

• Love 7

Frankly, I don't get the constant comparisons on this forum of Project Runway All Stars vs. Project Runway Juniors. They're two different shows and, probably, cast differently so one show can have pure talent as

its main focus and the other-- pure reality show drama. Fine to prefer one to the other, but why keep complaining that peaches don't taste the same as apples? LOL. Sorry if that offends anyone.

And at the risk of having some peaches and apples thrown at my head--I have to admit I don't have the degree of dislike for Sam that some other posters have. Yes, he's an arrogant, conceited little twit. But I'm willing to be generous and put some of that down to callow youth. I didn't think his outfit this week was that bad. And since it was his first time in the bottom--it's no wonder the judges didn't want to send him home. I didn't think Valerie's was that bad either. A taller, thinner, more graceful woman would have been able to carry it off better than Valerie's schlumpy naturist who schlumped down the runway and made the coat look like a bulky schlumpfest.

I thought Alexander's remark "maybe we should all flirt with the judges too" was really catty and uncalled for. (By the way, to the poster who wondered who replied "That's really low, guys"--it was Valerie. I like Valerie. She has a good heart).

Am I the only one who thought it was rude for the female naturists not to cover their breasts when they

were getting their hair and makeup done? After all, the hair and makeup people are just doing the jobs they're getting paid for. Unlike the designers, they're not in line to win anything. No reason why they should be made to feel uncomfortable too.

I freely admit that my dislike of Sam was a pre-existing condition from the horrendous train wreck of Under the Gunn.  He was insufferable, and I don't see that any maturity has happened in the intervening time.  Young, yes, callow, yes, but not nearly the talent he and his boosters think he is.  It was the funniest thing ever on UTG when the judges, his mentor, and Tim threw him bouquets the whole season for what I (and many others) felt was very mediocre design, and then when Heidi and Neil Patrick Harris came in to judge the finale, they were appalled and handed the win to one of the designers who had not been a pampered favorite.  

Asha was a participant in the bad behavior that occurred, as I recall, but she is showing a much more appealing personality this time around, and I really like her designs.  She would be a case for time and a humbling experience having caused an improvement, whereas Sam does not seem to have learned much if anything.  

Anyway, of course people have differing opinions about all of this, it's human nature.  Sam's behavior and attitude just happen to hit my "dislike" button very strongly.  

• Love 4

^^I'll always hold a grudge against Asha and Sam.  Asha is the worst.  But to your point, I don't make allowances for assholery because someone is too young to know better.  That excuse stops working after 12.  He knows exactly how to behave, because its how he expects everyone else to behave around him.  Not the mean little snitty bitch he is to everyone else, handing out advice about "thickening skin."  He skin was plenty thin when some of his behavior was served back at him.  His outfits are pretty terrible unless he has help, which he will then revel in.  I also don't agree that he is some design genius, that jacket last week was a disaster.  The only thing he has done that has looked good, was the outfit that Kini made for him.  

Sam has made it a point to flirt with the judges to get ahead.  And has admitted to flirting on the runway.  And it was very obvious last week that thats what he was doing.  Now that he is called out for it he wants to have a good cry in the corner?  Ummm, no.  If Sam wants to flirt to get ahead because he has no talent, thats fine.  He has clearly found a group of judges desperate enough to buy it (can say that would not work on MK, nor do I think it would work on Heidi), so he should be happy that he can skate by on his flirting and lack of talent.  But don't go whining when someone calls you out on what you are ACTUALLY doing.  Thats not a low blow....thats the truth.

• Love 16

My first thought about Emily's was "Minecraft". If my 9 yo had seen this, that is exactly what he'd have said.

Ken's should have been called out for discussion, for good or for ill. Like it or not, it was an interesting idea, and the only thing like it on the runway.

I didn't think Valerie's was bad at all, comparatively!

I liked dom's and Mitchell's ideas, but the patterned stripey and camouflage material was too juvenile for those middle aged men.

When and where exactly do naturalists like to go au naturel? On tv obviously, but where else typically?

• Love 3