Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Sasha Farber

• Start Topic

After some of the clunkers Emma's had (sorry Waltrip fans, but that season was excruciating for me to watch), I'm thrilled to see Emma has someone who appears to have some dance potential. Granted, it's also nice when Sasha isn't relegated to the crab costume.

• Love 1

Sasha always seemed so patient and so pleasant to me.  This season, I feel that he and Simone are a complete mismatch.  For someone who's grown up in the public eye, she seems pretty stupid (her comments dissing Sasha's appearance).  I feel that he is trying and that he is gleefull about her potential, but just incapable of dealing with what a 12-year old she is (I don't really blame him -- she mostly enrages me too).  It's changed my feelings about him - I can feel the drive of his desperation to get to the top and it's as offputting as Allan's constant mugging at the cameras.

26 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

Sasha always seemed so patient and so pleasant to me.  This season, I feel that he and Simone are a complete mismatch.  For someone who's grown up in the public eye, she seems pretty stupid (her comments dissing Sasha's appearance).  I feel that he is trying and that he is gleefull about her potential, but just incapable of dealing with what a 12-year old she is (I don't really blame him -- she mostly enrages me too).  It's changed my feelings about him - I can feel the drive of his desperation to get to the top and it's as offputting as Allan's constant mugging at the cameras.

I agree with this somewhat, but I think it might be something the pros underestimate if they haven't dealt with it before: Getting a ringer is pressure. And everyone is telling you you're doing it wrong all the time, particularly with social media now, where you get a constant barrage of often nasty comments. Sharna arguably somewhat mismanaged Charlie White because she was rather inexperienced then. Karina IMO has had seasons where she tried too hard when she had someone with potential. I actually think even Derek went a bit crazy in the Shawn season because he wanted to make it Extra!Special! and it turned some people off as try-hard. Val did brilliant with Zendaya until the last two weeks or so IMO, where he seemed to really tighten up and succumb a bit to the pressure of the situation.

Val actually really won me over with Laurie last season because I don't think having a teenage gymnast ringer is that easy and you can get a lot wrong, but he seemed to have a clear strategy in place and didn't back down to outside forces or get over-ambitious. Simone is more of a power gymnast, so there's a bit more difficulty to get her fluid in her movements. I think Sasha is feeling the heat of teaching her to dance without the gymnasts mannerisms and it's not so easy and he wants to pack the routines and he wants to bring in the tricks...and sometimes it becomes too much and he gets stressed and it all gets a sheen of desperation. You never know how pairings work out until the season is underway...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, katha said:

I agree with this somewhat, but I think it might be something the pros underestimate if they haven't dealt with it before: Getting a ringer is pressure. And everyone is telling you you're doing it wrong all the time, particularly with social media now, where you get a constant barrage of often nasty comments. Sharna arguably somewhat mismanaged Charlie White because she was rather inexperienced then. Karina IMO has had seasons where she tried too hard when she had someone with potential. I actually think even Derek went a bit crazy in the Shawn season because he wanted to make it Extra!Special! and it turned some people off as try-hard. Val did brilliant with Zendaya until the last two weeks or so IMO, where he seemed to really tighten up and succumb a bit to the pressure of the situation.

Val actually really won me over with Laurie last season because I don't think having a teenage gymnast ringer is that easy and you can get a lot wrong, but he seemed to have a clear strategy in place and didn't back down to outside forces or get over-ambitious. Simone is more of a power gymnast, so there's a bit more difficulty to get her fluid in her movements. I think Sasha is feeling the heat of teaching her to dance without the gymnasts mannerisms and it's not so easy and he wants to pack the routines and he wants to bring in the tricks...and sometimes it becomes too much and he gets stressed and it all gets a sheen of desperation. You never know how pairings work out until the season is underway...

I agree but I wouldn't put it all on Sasha.  I think Simone's got quite a bit of attitude.  She covers with a smile but it does appear here and there, like "we'll take it to heart and we'll see where it goes" reaction to Mandy's critique instead of recognizing that she needs to work on it.   Also she might be resistant to Sasha trying to get more fluidity in her movement, after all, the way she moves got her Olympian gold.  Who's this guy trying to make her change?  Sometimes I get the impression she see herself above it all. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Uke said:

I agree but I wouldn't put it all on Sasha.  I think Simone's got quite a bit of attitude.  She covers with a smile but it does appear here and there, like "we'll take it to heart and we'll see where it goes" reaction to Mandy's critique instead of recognizing that she needs to work on it.   Also she might be resistant to Sasha trying to get more fluidity in her movement, after all, the way she moves got her Olympian gold.  Who's this guy trying to make her change?  Sometimes I get the impression she see herself above it all. 

I see Simone as a sheltered/defensive person who has a hard time trusting people.  Seeing her background, I can see why.  She knows what she knows but she needs to relax more and trust Sasha.

• Love 1

I loved Sasha and Terra together last season. This season, to me, Sasha seems so focused on winning, that I haven't enjoyed his partnership with Simone as much as I thought I would. I keep thinking back to Mark and Shawn and how goofy and sweet they were together; I guess I was expecting something similar with Sasha and Simone.

• Love 3

He'll be okay. Because he's so small the odds of him getting someone good again are fairly high because they're casting from a small pool of people (pardon the pun). Having said that he must be properly gutted. I would be.

(edited)

One bit of concern - I read that Mark was in the audience one week (and so was Jonathan Roberts.) If that's a clue that Mark might be back, it might not be such a good thing for Sasha's chances of getting another good partner. And in a snapchat or some such thing, Louis van Amstel said that he was going to be in this season's lineup but had some other obligation (not that I'm sure I believe him.) Oh who knows... good for Sasha getting to the semi's again!

Now that I think about it a minute, maybe Louis would have had Charo, now he's 40.

Edited by Morrigan

If Louis was supposed to come back it definitely would have been for Charo. Maybe he found out it was Charo he had and thus came up with his "other obligations". So Keo bless him got a "promotion".

• Love 3

Sasha is already in defense mode.  From his Instagram: 

"sashafarber1  Wowwwwww still on a high from yesterday and super excited to be dancing with this lady right here, on @dancingabc. 
There are some very strong feelings from lots of people about Tonya and about her competing on the show. I have only spent a couple of days with her but I have learnt so much about her and I’m looking forward to learning more. One thought I want to throw out there is that humans have the ability to change, people have the ability to find faith and shouldn’t have to live in the unbelievably devastating shadow of a bad past, wrong decision or bad influences for the rest of their life. They should be allowed to move on and live a full life like those around them. People live and learn, people forgive and forget and most of all we change, and not only change ourselves, but also the people around us. 
Thank you all so much for all your positive comments and for all your love and support. I promise we will work harder than ever this season. I really respect Tonya for doing the show and I’m proud to be her partner. We’re ready to dance!!!! P.s I watched an awesome movie last week called #ITonya go check it out ??"

I only posted his comment since it was so long and along with the pic would have taken up a lot of space here.

The link is here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhj4eQmF1XZ/?taken-by=sashafarber1

A lot of strong opinions, both for and against, on the pic he posted yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhgxP3CFpUr/?taken-by=sashafarber1

• Love 1
On 4/14/2018 at 10:12 PM, LexieLily said:

I love Sasha and bless him for trying, but I'd be stunned if Tonya made it past the first week even if she was the second coming of Meryl AND Kristi AND Nicole rolled into one.

I agree with this. I think in terms of technique and performance Tonya will be at the level of Nancy, who was approximately the same age when she competed on DWTS. Not as good as Kristi or Meryl, but still a decent dancer (remember, Kristi was in her mid- to late 30s when she competed, and Meryl was in her prime). Nevertheless, Sasha is going to have to work really hard to sell Tonya's place on the show.