Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Bouncing Back

• Start Topic

In the aftermath of his trip to Maveth, Coulson is more determined than ever to get to Gideon Malick and put an end to Hydra once and for all. Daisy and the team encounter more Inhumans who have powers like they've never seen before, but will they be friends or enemies of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Promo:

I'm excited for this show's return.  The preview looks awesome, and looks like there are at least two new superpowered people... Hispanic female Quicksilver-type and a guy that seems to have some sort of death stare.  Not sure if they are good or bad.  Plus we get the return of the Angie Everhart multiple girl.

So Zombie Ward stopped waxing his chest and acquired some CGI ribs.  Will be interesting to see what happens with this character.

• Love 1

I'm excited for this show's return.  The preview looks awesome, and looks like there are at least two new superpowered people... Hispanic female Quicksilver-type and a guy that seems to have some sort of death stare.  Not sure if they are good or bad.  Plus we get the return of the Angie Everhart multiple girl.

So Zombie Ward stopped waxing his chest and acquired some CGI ribs.  Will be interesting to see what happens with this character.

You better embargo the boards and TV spots as best you can for a week since the cast spoilers are out and might slip in assuming you knew anyway.

This is going to be a long week. Haters aside, I <3 this show; AoS is A#1 on my live watch list. AC was A#2 and I'm desperate to believe that AC will be back to be a delightful intermission to AoS season 4. 

So glad hiatus is in the home stretch.

• Love 2

I'm excited for this show's return.  The preview looks awesome, and looks like there are at least two new superpowered people... Hispanic female Quicksilver-type and a guy that seems to have some sort of death stare.  Not sure if they are good or bad.  

One is definitely Yo-Yo Rodriguez and the other looks like a Cyclops copy. Although, I do wonder what comic character he is supposed to be, but he could be a new character altogether. 

I think Mack and Cisco need to get together and come up with names.  Heck, Ray could join them.  They could come up with some awesome names, and Cisco and Ray would build Mack an awesometacular shotgun-ax.

Hunter continues to be outstanding, and Mack just works perfectly as the straight man to Hunter being Hunter and Bobbi's nonchalant reactions to Hunter .

• Love 4
(edited)

Zombie Ward is just irritating as real Ward.

Let's hope he's gone in the season finale.

I thought that too. I really wish they kept him dead. I sighed when he came on and took up screen time.

The rest of the episode was good. I like that they let the girl go back to her life and same goes for Joe.

The Fitz and Simmons scenes were good. And I liked the part when Mac mentioned she'll meet Daisy who then appeared :)

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2

Heh, Talbot ends up Coulson's monkey again. As I said before, beats chasin' the Hulk.

WTF was SlugWard doing at the end?

YoYo's cool, and I like that she wanted to keep her powers local.

I guess that is how SlugWard (hey is that his new name or could we call him SquidWard) controls others. He is the sandman/Darude.

• Love 4

Nice return.  I like Yo-Yo, and Joey continues to be great fun.  I love that he didn't just melt the guns - he made a sculpture.  Zombie Ward didn't bother me that much.  The skeletal make-up works better than I expected.

The distributed agent network is a good idea, really.  And I'm sure they only have so many bunks.

Hunter continues to be outstanding, and Mack just works perfectly as the straight man to Hunter being Hunter and Bobbi's nonchalant reactions to Hunter .

They make a great trio.  Of course Hunter tried to get superpowers.  Mack works great with Daisy and Joey too.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this one.  I liked Yo-Yo a lot.  The idea of spreading out their assets like this is a good one though I’m bummed we’re stuck with the most boring of them in Lincoln.

Nice to see William Sadler return as the President.

Good episode.

• Love 2

I was doing something else when Hydra arrived and took eye-flashy guy -- how did they get him and not get or kill or fight or anything with the rest of the SHIELD team?

They flew a plane over the police station, caused an explosion to open up a hole and sent a net to capture not-Cyclops.

(edited)

I was doing something else when Hydra arrived and took eye-flashy guy -- how did they get him and not get or kill or fight or anything with the rest of the SHIELD team?

The SHIELD team just stood around and did nothing to even try to go after HYDRA.  Just a comment along the lines of...oh...it's HYDRA, well damn...then they just kicked the dirt and hung their heads down in shame for being such a sucky team.

What do we have to do to get Agent Carter to be the main ABC/Disney/Marvel series and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D as the winter filler series?

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 8

I'm a bit meh on this.

The SHIELD team just stood around and did nothing to even try to go after HYDRA.  Just a comment along the lines of...oh...it's HYDRA, well damn...then they just kicked the dirt and hung their heads down in shame for being such a sucky team.

For a gov't branch that had been super efficient in the past they made a lot of mistakes like rookies as if this were their first assignment going in jumping the gun without getting the full info. They're very poor on gut feelings or thinking/suspecting something off before it's too late. And these were the smart agents? How can Hydra have problems with them?

Also the Fitz/Simmons conversation/reconciliation felt like the writers watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

Ward/portal monster. I know he's suppose to be menacing but it felt hollow. All that menace talk sounded creepy but not enough to create a sense of fear.

(edited)

The SHIELD team just stood around and did nothing to even try to go after HYDRA.  Just a comment along the lines of...oh...it's HYDRA, well damn...then they just kicked the dirt and hung their heads down in shame for being such a sucky team.

What do we have to do to get Agent Carter to be the main ABC/Disney/Marvel series and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D as the winter filler series?

Agent Carter's motto- let's get this shit done fast and right! And if the first plan didn't work just think on your feet and/or go to plan b.

Agents of SHIELD's new motto- let's stand around and watch Hydra and react later.

Although truthfully everyone on Agent Carter was already an experienced war vet who either outright fought the Nazi or Imperial Japan in WWII (and we all know that Agent Carter fought alongside with Captain America and the Howling Commandos, help break the Enigma Code, worked with the French Resistance, and probably also liberated concentration camps, etc... before her series even started)

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 2

Didn't May even make the comment to Coulson later on that he was starting to put more trust/faith in other team members in leader roles?  I wonder what Coulson and May would think if they knew that Skye ( who can use quakes to knock the plane out of the sky ), Mockingbird, Hunter, Inhuman Guy ( who could make the plane melt ), Yo-Yo Inhuman, and Mack, just stood around and didn't even try to stop them or go after them b/c it's not like they didn't have a plane of their own...oh wait.  Idiots.

I swear to gosh, if they don't kill Franken-Ward off at the end of the season i'm done with this show.  It's just ridiculous at this point...and kill that Lincoln guy off as well...hell get rid of all the Inhumans so far.  It makes me so mad that this is what people will think of when the eventual Inhuman movie comes about in 2024.  Marvel really messed up by allowing this to be the first glimpse into the world of Inhumans, instead of the Royal family of Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Karnak, Gorgon, Triton, and Lockjaw.

• Love 1

I should probably rewatch the episode. I was distracted through the first half. Apparently, the kids at SHIELD still pale to Peggy Carter. Not a fair comparison, but it has to be made.

Heh, Talbot ends up Coulson's monkey again. As I said before, beats chasin' the Hulk.

Truth. And if Hulk was part of the MCU continuity, Talbot would be dead.

Anybody else want somebody to reference Quicksilver in comparison to Yo-Yo, even though the guy had maybe two seconds of time in the public spotlight? Ido like her powerset, as well as Medusa Cyclops.

ETA: I would support an effort to raise money for the SFX budget to be upped, for the express purpose of bringing a CGI Lockjaw to the small screen. Who's with me?

It makes me so mad that this is what people will think of when the eventual Inhuman movie comes about in 2024.  Marvel really messed up by allowing this to be the first glimpse into the world of Inhumans, instead of the Royal family of Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Karnak, Gorgon, Triton, and Lockjaw.

Calm down.  The viewership of the show is tiny compared to whatever the eventual movie audience will be for Inhumans.  I guarantee that nothing on AoS is what people are going to think of when they think of Inhumans.

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked this episode too.

Hunter(and Bobbi) being jealous of people with super powers was great.

Loved the teamwork between "Quake" and "Yo-Yo" in the police station! Also hope to see "scary eyes" again.

Glad that Jemma and the rest of the team weren't kept in the dark over Coulson killing Ward and Fitz killing possessed Will.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I wonder what Coulson and May would think if they knew that Skye ( who can use quakes to knock the plane out of the sky ), Mockingbird, Hunter, Inhuman Guy ( who could make the plane melt ), Yo-Yo Inhuman, and Mack, just stood around and didn't even try to stop them or go after them b/c it's not like they didn't have a plane of their own...oh wait.  Idiots.

They could have been more specific about it in the show but I believe they didn't use their powers on the plane for one of two reasons: either the plane was too high up for them to be able to damage it or the team was simply out of gas after the fight they had just been through. Either way, Mr. SquishEyes will be back and I am looking forward to seeing how the team takes him down.

Did anyone else notice that Daisy and Hunter were wearing the same jacket? I guess they got a bulk discount when they went to the Gap and said "everyone in leather"!

• Love 1

I want a glowy slap bracelet.

I loved Yo-Yo, I hope she returns. She was great with Joey and Mack -- well, Mack is pretty much awesome with everyone, so.

I hope ZombieSlugWard is less irritating than regular old Evil Ward.

• Love 4
(edited)

So what is the deal with the Quinnjet in outer space filled with blood droplets and Yo-Yo's cross necklace and someone wearing a jumpsuit with a SHIELD logo on it right before the fire starts -- 3 months from now ?

I'm guessing it's a Quinnjet based on the display on the console -- kind of has the same shape and layout.  But would that even hold together in space ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Eh, Quake could easily shoot the plane down. But they were in the middle of a City. That would not be good PR at all. Should probably have made that explicit - no need to have anyone even explicitly say it, just have a camera pan down and show houses below the hydra plane.

• Love 2

I love Yo-Yo and I really hope we see her again soon.  And I also thought the FitzSimmons stuff, the relationship reset, was nicely done.  And I'm so over any and all forms of Ward.  

I didn't care for that part. Cheap way to avoid what they've built up so far.

I didn't care for that part. Cheap way to avoid what they've built up so far.

Yeah, that was my thoughts also. It sorta like they did in season 2 also. Jemma put her hand on Fitz's knee and everything was alright.

My fingers crossed that this sweeping everything under the rug won't work long term for her/them. I have little faith though.

My money is on Mack being in that Quinnjet in space.

There were several scenes tonight where Joey sort of stood beside and behind Skye, and every time I couldn't help but see Ward standing there. I know their faces don't really look that much alike, but with the hair and beard, and the leather jacket, it caught me off guard.

• Love 7

They could have been more specific about it in the show but I believe they didn't use their powers on the plane for one of two reasons: either the plane was too high up for them to be able to damage it or the team was simply out of gas after the fight they had just been through. Either way, Mr. SquishEyes will be back and I am looking forward to seeing how the team takes him down.

Did anyone else notice that Daisy and Hunter were wearing the same jacket? I guess they got a bulk discount when they went to the Gap and said "everyone in leather"!

The President did reference SHIELD helicarriers crashing on Washington. Bringing down a Hydra Ospry like plane over a city would remind me of James Bond in Spectre bringing a building and almost a helicopter down on as many innocent Mexicans as the terrorist could have killed intentionally.

• Love 1

So what is the deal with the Quinnjet in outer space filled with blood droplets and Yo-Yo's cross necklace and someone wearing a jumpsuit with a SHIELD logo on it right before the fire starts -- 3 months from now ?

I'm guessing it's a Quinnjet based on the display on the console -- kind of has the same shape and layout.  But would that even hold together in space ?

That's the speculation given the end of Age Of Ultron and 

The Hulk announced to be in next Thor movie

I found Hive Ward underwelming. The makeup/effects made him look skeletal and creepy, and the background music set the mood, but the actual acting/dialogue/plot ... yawn.

Also I wasn't pleased when they took the only two Inhumans I actually find interesting and had them leave the team already. But we're still stuck with Lincoln?

I was torn about the whole Inhumans in the field thing. On the one hand, there was some cool use of powers in the final confrontation. But on the other hand, I felt like they were unrealistically trusting and passive, especially when it came to the Columbian police and (gasp) that twist the police are shady.

I like Joey but every time he shows up for his first scene in each episode, I wonder why Ward is working with SHIELD again until I squint and realize it's Joey, not Ward. Kind of makes me wish they would do a color coordinated wardrobe like they did with Duncan/Logan on Veronica Mars (which I know isn't realistic on this show due to the uniforms and love of black/grey non-uniform clothes).

• Love 3

Those scenes with Zombie-Ward were creepy as anything I've seen on TV recently.   Poor Wo-Fat was stuck between Zombie-Ward and Powers Booth in all of his scenes, and looked pretty scared.  "I haven't been this nervous since I first met Bobby Flay!"

• Love 5

Have Tara Butters' or Michele Fazekas' brother make movies that earn Marvel/Disney 3 billion dollars? I assume Whedon family dinners are how Jed and Maurissa got their jobs.

• Love 1

Short of shooting the plane down, there was nothing they could have done to stop HYDRA from taking that guy, and it should be obvious why that would be a bad idea.

Eh, Quake could easily shoot the plane down. But they were in the middle of a City. That would not be good PR at all. Should probably have made that explicit - no need to have anyone even explicitly say it, just have a camera pan down and show houses below the hydra plane.

You'd think it should be self-evident why blowing a plane up over a city would be a bad idea...

• Love 1

I like Joey but every time he shows up for his first scene in each episode, I wonder why Ward is working with SHIELD again until I squint and realize it's Joey, not Ward. Kind of makes me wish they would do a color coordinated wardrobe like they did with Duncan/Logan on Veronica Mars (which I know isn't realistic on this show due to the uniforms and love of black/grey non-uniform clothes).

Wearing all black and constantly filming in shadows drives me nuts about this show.  How about some freakin color?!

• Love 2

Second try...hoping my computer doesn't crash in the middle of this post...again.

I enjoyed this episode and I'm glad it is back on (I really need a fun show right now), but there were things that I found perplexing.

First of all, please say I wasn't the only person who yelled, "Allez Cuisine!" when they showed Mark Dacascos standing behind the raw meat buffet!

I also laughed when Coulson went in to make the super duper secret phone call to Gideon and had to sit through the hold music.  It isn't a big thing, but I find little details like that delightful.  Also...Hunter admitted that he had taken tainted fish oil pills to see if he could get X-Ray vision...that was classic!

I liked Yo-Yo, mostly because the character seemed like she was having so much fun.  I was a little unmoored by Joey though--he looked so much like the old Ward that I had to keep reminding myself who he is.  I also appreciated that Daisy sent off the inhumans to their "normal" lives until they were needed.  I think that's a wise move for the show--they have a bank of characters they can call on when needed, but not flood the show with too many people.  I only wish that Lincoln had left, too.  He is so freakin' dull and he makes Daisy seem even more ridiculous.

I was a little miffed with how they handled Fitz/Simmons.  They seemed to stop any momentum they had going for, what, a reset?  There is part of me that hopes they don't drop their relationship because I thought the show handled it so well up to this point.  On the other hand, I worry that, if they really are starting these two over, they won't be able to handle the "new" relationship nearly as well.  Sigh...

Okay, Hive....I don't get him.

From what I understand the Worm animates corpses while it eats away at it, which is why Hydra had to keep sending people up...right?  Wouldn't that mean that, eventually, it would eat away all of Ward's body?  And if it is hungry, wouldn't that be for another body?  But it wanted raw meat..so, if that's all it took, why didn't hydra just send up livestock?  And what makes Gideon think he can control this?  It sounds to me like Hive would become a force in his own right, which is actually pretty easily handled (just kill him).  Ugh...I don't know.  I'm very much in a "wait and see" mode about this story line.  AOS has pulled some things off that I've seen other shows fail at, so maybe they can make this work....

• Love 5

From the recap:

This scene is nothing more than a warning that drama might eventually occur.

While the show has improved considerably, this is still kind of their motto.

Hydra can drill through a roof and snatch up one Inhuman out of a group with utter precision.  Of course, they somehow manage to target the one required for plot purposes.  And since the plot doesn't require any kind of reaction, we don't get one.

• Love 1
Also I wasn't pleased when they took the only two Inhumans I actually find interesting and had them leave the team already. But we're still stuck with Lincoln?

I've pretty much soured on the actor.  He's pretty to look at, but the constant affect-free, slack-jawed look of dull surprise on his face is distracting.  And the scruffy beard just draws attention to it.

• Love 5

From the recap:

While the show has improved considerably, this is still kind of their motto.

Hydra can drill through a roof and snatch up one Inhuman out of a group with utter precision.  Of course, they somehow manage to target the one required for plot purposes.  And since the plot doesn't require any kind of reaction, we don't get one.

For some reason, Hydra didn't think it was a good idea to bomb the place, thus delivering a crippling blow to Shield.  Ah, TV logic...

• Love 2

I love Elena. She's wonderful. Joey was awesome too. I want them to stick around for a long time, which probably means one of them is gonna get killed off. I dunno about the Elena/Mack thing they were hinting at though. I'd kinda always head-canoned Mack as gay, though I guess he could be bi. The Werner in the machine scene was really difficult to watch. I'm glad Lincoln at least questioned Coulson about it. I'm really excited to see where they take Hive. I thought Brett did an amazing job playing this new creature. He's definitely not Ward anymore. And FitzSimmons! Yay! I'm glad they actually talked to each other for once instead of tiptoe-ing around each other for the rest of the season. I'm so happy this show is back!

• Love 2

To the post asking about the Agent Carter producers' relationships.  Tara Butters is married to Arrow EP Marc Guggenheim, who is currently writing an Agents of Shield comic for Marvel. (Disclaimer: I love the shows Fazeekas and Butters produce.)

• Useful 1

I dunno about the Elena/Mack thing they were hinting at though. I'd kinda always head-canoned Mack as gay, though I guess he could be bi. 

I never really thought about Mack's orientation either way, which is probably why his interest in Elena seemed a bit out of left field for me.  I mean, it sort of hinted that it was romantic--or it could just be that it was more of a "kindred spirit" thing.  I'm fine with the latter, but I hope they don't develop the former.  Nothing against the two characters, but there is already too much of the romantic-ish relationships in this show.  I'm all down with Fitz/Simmons (providing they can deliver on this supposed reset), Hunter and Bobbi have comedy going for them, and I think that they handled Melinda and Andrew well, but that's it.  I'm already annoyed I have to watch Daisy and Lincoln pretend they have something like emotions for each other.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

I have to give the makeup people props, Ward looks creepy as hell. The purple, hand shaped bruise in his sternum is a nice touch.

I never liked FitzSimmons as a romantic couple, so I'm hopeful that this reset takes them back to the friendship they had in season 1. This episode had some nice moments but I felt like it dragged a bit for a first episode back from hiatus. Hopefully the pace picks up next week.

• Love 2