Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Charlie Don't Surf

Lisin
  • Start Topic

From IMDB: "When Logan is informed that his inheritance is running low, he become suspicious and enlists Veronica's help to sort through his financial records. Veronica uncovers that large sums of money have been going to a man named Charlie Stone. Meanwhile, Keith is hired by Harmony to investigate her cheating husband."

I will never stop saying Poor Logan. He's so bad at decision making! Everything he does here is totally understandable and yet also wrong. That being said, I like Matt Czuchry (another bad boy Logan I can't help but love) in this, even if he's playing basically the same character as he does on Gilmore girls.  

I hate this Harmony storyline. Just hate it. 

Edited by Lisin

Matt Czuchry has one of those smirky smiles that makes you want to punch him in pretty much everything he's in.  Don't get me wrong--I really like Czuchry (I'm currently obsessed with The Good Wife), but don't you just want to wipe the smirk off his face sometimes?  At any rate, it was a bit of fun casting here.

The Harmony storyline is a big bummer.  I don't know that I totally agree with how harshly Veronica comes down on Keith about it, but I don't care for the plot, either.

• Love 1

Czuchry is quite punchable, and I too am obsessed with The Good Wife, I'm watching them on Amazon so I guess I'm a season and a half behind. I love him even if I want to hit him though. He plays the douche so well. 

• Love 1

Czurchry is sooooo punchable. I don't think I've seen him in anything else, but that was my first reaction.

I guess I was wrong about the newspaper person being an adult advisor, she's just a student? She seemed older to me, idk.

Yep, don't like the Keith storyline. You'd think that would come up more with the number of jilted wives he works for, but I guess this is the first time both sides are interested.

This season so far is feeling a little more critical of the stop-raping-people activists than I'm really comfortable with.

• Love 3

The thing with this season and the "stop raping people activists" is I get that the point the show is trying to make (and has been making from last season) is that finding the actual real guilty party should be the goal and that Nish and her pals are more interested in indicting a "type" of person (like the frats and the sorority sisters). While I think that this is a good point I think they do a bit of a clunky job doing it.

Right, we (as a society) really don't need to spend much more time criticizing and questioning victims and allies. So it fits with the tone of the show, but it still kind of sucks in general, and I wish they'd done a better job of balancing the scales sometimes.

• Love 1

Yeah, I get that frats (and to some extent sororities) get a pretty deservably bad rap for drinking and debauchery, but there's plenty of that going on in dorms too.  The point should be to find the rapist, not wrongly accuse others.  I did think the rat trap in the grope room was funny.

So Veronica does say here "Shelly Pomeroy's 'end of year' party".  I know she said that phrase previously, so I'm not crazy in thinking the timeline in S1 is off a bit.  I may have to go back and review some of the prior seasons to check where I've heard it before.

Fun seeing guest stars I recognize, Czurchy this episode from TGW and Laura San Giacomo (who's aged pretty well).

So Veronica does say here "Shelly Pomeroy's 'end of year' party".  I know she said that phrase previously, so I'm not crazy in thinking the timeline in S1 is off a bit.

"End of year" could be either "end of the school year" or "end of the calendar year". MarsInvestigations calls it December 6-7, 2003 but doesn't say right there where they came up with that date.

"End of year" could be either "end of the school year" or "end of the calendar year". MarsInvestigations calls it December 6-7, 2003 but doesn't say right there where they came up with that date.

Episode 1x20 M.A.D - There's a time stamp on Carmen's hot tub video that says December 7th, 2003. It's how Veronica is sure they don't remember the same night and knows to ask Tad where he got the drugs, thus leading her to suspect Logan.

• Love 1

So I like the ongoing mystery of who is the serial rapist, but really didn't like the demonisation of the anti-rape campaigners. I also think the show missed the point, whether or not the rapist is in that frat they're part of the problem. They're what is meant by rape culture.

I kind of saw Parker's point, but then I like her. Mind you, I loved Jackie and she wasn't popular either.

The investigation that led to Charlie Stone didn't make any sense to me. Why was financial support for Charlie commingled with Logan's trust fund? Why was Avi Kaufman chiding Logan for spending his money too quickly if he knew that $10,000/month was allocated to Aaron's Kidz?

The treatment of the anti-rape activists is pretty shabby. I also had difficulty grasping Keith's "joke" about Veronica's shoes (whose ridiculously high heel prevented me from realizing that they were allegedly sensible loafers) being appropriate for a Women's Studies major.

I also don't quite see how the photo of Claire not yet raped (via the shorthand of head not yet shaved) really proved that none of the frat brothers could be guilty. Maybe one of them could have caught up with her later. In Veronica's own case, Duncan actually having sex with her didn't negate the fact that Cassidy Casablancas also raped her.

• Love 1