Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Chapter Thirty-Six

Petra worries about Rafael and his seemingly bad behavior, but she's unaware he's assisting Michael in locating Mutter's other son. Meanwhile, Jane relishes reuniting with Michael; Rogelio's assistant has a secret identity; and Petra goes into labor.

Something about Jane is just so off-putting this season. The storylines have highlighted her selfishness and self-righteousness. I can't draw specific examples so I'm not sure what it is but I loved her last year and can't really stand her this year. 

• Love 3

Damn, I really loved this episode. We got Petra/Jane! We got Rogelio acting! We got Michael/Rafael getting along for a scene! We got Michael/Jane cuteness! Everything I wanted, which is nice. Plus, not really any guest stars! It mainly stuck to the main cast and Lola. 

I LOVED Petra and Rafael's names for their daughters. Hilarious that both of them actually agreed to it. 

Ok, I loved Michael's second proposal to Jane. Their excitement just built up for the two of them and I loved the scene a lot. It also looks like Michael is learning from his mistakes about lying, so props to him for actually telling Jane the truth about Rafael. Sure, part of it was fear of her running back to him, but he was honest! It works!

Poor Rogelio; he almost got away from the crazy girl. I loved the narrator throughout the episode, especially when he was getting mad at Xo for not reading behind the text. Like, I always wondered what would happen if this trope didn't work. Thanks show, for reverting the trope once more. 

I also loved Xo/Alba talking about Pablo. And oh great, Pablo's on his way. Rafael's brother is here as well. Here comes another influx of drama! 

• Love 8

I also loved Xo/Alba talking about Pablo.

That conversation was a long time coming. I'm so glad that Alba realized her (years-long) mistake and apologized to Xo.

I can't believe that Michael blocked himself, but the sharpie to his crotch made it worthwhile.

• Love 2

LOL at Petra (and Rafael) not seeing Frozen and not knowing about Anna and Elsa.

Loved Petra trying to help Jane fight back.

Rafael works better as the rich playboy.

Awww Jane & Michael are engaged! It was sweet and they're so great together.

• Love 2
somebody2006, on 07 Mar 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

Something about Jane is just so off-putting this season. The storylines have highlighted her selfishness and self-righteousness. I can't draw specific examples so I'm not sure what it is but I loved her last year and can't really stand her this year. 

I've been thinking that it's not just Jane, but the whole season so far.  Don't know if it's a sophomore slump or what, but this season is lacking whatever made season one special. 

I liked the Jane/Petra scenes.  Those two have potential to be really good friends. 

I like Petra/Rafael as friends and want to see them making co-parenting work.  Ok, part of me is still hoping there was a mix up at the lab and they aren't really Raf's kids since I didn't like that story line to begin with. But if not, I can get behind them being friends who are raising kids.

I've actually hated what they've done to Jane and her love life.  She's gone from loving two men, moving on from both men, dating/making out with other guys, wanting a fling with her advisor, to Michael being her one true love, to her being engaged.

Full disclosure, Jane/Michael does nothing for me so I might be a bit biased.  That being said, I think their reunion was rushed and unearned.  If they were planning on getting them back together, they should have shown them at least trying to be friends or giving dating a try.  Instead they have picked up as though they never broke up.  It feels as though the writers wanted them together just so he can get killed on their wedding day.  *sigh*

• Love 10

I don't like Jane this season, I've never liked Michael, but I'm so glad they're together

#DownWiththeTriangle

Loved loved loved the Jetra scenes! And the Petra Xiomara awkward hello.

Petra and Raf were perfect together as always.

And the Alba Xo scene in the bedroom was so perfect.

Also, the Rafael shirtless "two forms of birth control" talk was possibly the funniest moment in the series

• Love 2

I loved this episode. Rogelio's captivity has been so much fun...for me. I'm a little disappointed that he didn't think to find the stash of sleeping pills and give Lola more to ensure she wouldn't wake up before he escaped, but I guess Cesar provided no inspiration there. Maybe he should have flashed back to another of his former telenovelas...it could still happen...maybe we'll finally see the escape Ivan was trying to copy! But he's being held captive in his own apartment, right? How long will it take until someone decides to stop by when they think he should be back from vacation?

I also want to see more of Rafael trying to charm women (and men, if that's useful) for case information. WAY more fun than watching him pine over Jane. He's great at being sleazy.

Petra's and Jane's outing together was awesome. They're a good team.

Elsa and Anna. Hilarious. I hope they're inundated with Frozen-themed baby gifts.

How are Raf and Petra going to get the babies home from the hospital? Either of their cars would be a giant pain to get carseats and babies in. How has he been managing it with Mateo? I guess his is easier if it's not raining and he can put the top down and reach over the side. Rafael, I think it's time for you to buy a family car. You have three kids now. Two of whom may or may not be biologically yours; I still am not convinced there wasn't another sperm mix-up or Scott didn't mess with it, but whatever.

• Love 2

Oh lordy, he is so gonna die on that wedding day, isn't he? Like someone around here speculated IIRC.

Nooooo! It seems like it could totally happen though! But I do not want that at all! I love Michael and Jane. 

This is the first time I think I have seen a "text that has a hidden message" thing not work! Oh Xo you are going to feel really bad when all this comes out. I loved the narrator getting all frustrated that Xo was not getting it.  

Petra and Jane FTW! 

• Love 3

Petra totally would just make the hotel shuttle driver transport her herd around!

I hope everyone thinking that Michael is going to die means that is NOT going to happen. Subvert the trope, and all that. Maybe he'll be injured and have a spell of amnesia, though? Or Nadine will turn up alive after all, and pregnant? Or he will have to go in witness protection or on some big elaborate spying detective gig abroad and the happily ever after will be delayed?

• Love 2
(edited)

Sounds more like wishful thinking.

Both fans and non-fans of Michael have made this speculation based on something the narrator said last season. I know my mind went there but I still think it's too soon to kill him off. However, this St. Michael stretch where everything is perfect and happy seems off as well. It's a telenovela, something is going to give. If it's not cracks in the relationship, I don't think it's unrealistic to wonder if some sort of tragedy is about to come.

For some it's wishful thinking, for others it is fear. And still for others, it's somewhere in between.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5

I'm convinced that Michael is going to die and I'm not a hater. Not on the Jane/Michael train - why ship them when I have Jetra? LOL - but I've always preferred Michael to Rafael, not for any convoluted reasons over who's the better man in universe, but just because I think Brett Dier as Michael is much more interesting to watch on screen than Justin Baldoni as Rafael... except when Rafael is ratching up the charm/sleaze, and then the latter is hilarious. Which is why I'm so bummed that the show seems over and done with Rafael's bad boy regression. That was one quick devolution. :(

• Love 3

I am not a Michael with Jane fan (I like him on his own), but I don't want him to die! I've read this speculation from both fans and non-fans, so I don't think it's wishful thinking that speculations say he will die this season.

I LOVE Petra and Jane together. They seem to bring out the best in each other. The birthing scene was extremely touching. Very well done!

Love that Rafael is working with Michael. This should lead to some fun scenes. The two actors have great chemistry together.

Isn't it silly that I feel anxious about Rogelio being held hostage? I love my Rogelio silly, over the top and hopping on furniture to dance!

The contraception talk Rafael is having with the ladies is absolutely hilarious!

Xo and Alba's conversation was long overdue, and I know I should have liked the scene, but it felt force to me. However, I can't wait to see who this Pablo is!

• Love 2

I hope everyone thinking that Michael is going to die means that is NOT going to happen. Subvert the trope, and all that. Maybe he'll be injured and have a spell of amnesia, though?

I'm thinking he'll flatline briefly at some point (so technically "die"), and then be brought back, probably with amnesia (though maybe Rogelio will get the amnesia storyline? That was quite the blow to the head...).

I'm thinking he'll flatline briefly at some point (so technically "die"), and then be brought back, probably with amnesia (though maybe Rogelio will get the amnesia storyline? That was quite the blow to the head...).

Somehow I never thought of that.

Despite my favorite show being Buffy whose first season finale revolved around Buffy's prophecy death.

Michael dying seems like it would really mess with the tone of the show. They've had peripheral characters and villains die, and have had some sweetly dramatic moments filled with pathos, but nothing like a main character death. If Michael dies, especially on the wedding day or if he's still with Jane, how do they come back from that? It would be enormously traumatic for Jane and her family (especially Rogelio!) and IMO it would be really discordant with the generally frothy humor.  

• Love 6

Lol, I actually prefer Michael/Jane and I'm glad they're giving them a chance this season. But there is that prediction the narrator did a while back and, let's be real, Jane will end with Rafael. Petra and Rafael now have children together and Petra is becoming a better person, so they can just pull a Rafael-Jane-Petra eventually if they need a triangle.

I don't know if it will happen, but I don't think it CAN'T happen.

I haven't ruled out Michael dying at some point, but I doubt it will be this season. I remember after the first five or so episodes of the series one of the entertainment sites had a poll "who do you want Jane to end up with?" and the results were approx. 65% for Raphael and 35% for Michael. That was back when everything was almost entirely slanted toward Jane/Raphael. Even with how Jane/Raphael heavy the rest of the season was, I have a feeling those numbers shifted to be much more even by season's end. I just don't see the show getting rid of Michael at this point.

Personally, I'm an unabashed Jane/Michael shipper. I think they're better suited for each other, have much better chemistry, and I think Brett Dier typically acts circles around Justin Baldoni. Meanwhile, I don't think Baldoni is ever better than in scenes with Yael Grobglas, so I'm also rooting for Raphael/Petra. But, of course, the relationship merry go round is going to keep spinning.

• Love 5
(edited)

The narrator's statement was ambiguous enough to fit  any numbers of scenarios:  Michael dying young; Michael living to old age still carrying a torch for Jane; Michael and Jane marrying and having a happy-ever-after.  I'm choosing the third option, but I agree, they do seem too happy to last.   Maybe Michael will be replaced by a Mutter henchman whose had plastic surgery.  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Love 2

Lol, I actually prefer Michael/Jane and I'm glad they're giving them a chance this season. But there is that prediction the narrator did a while back and, let's be real, Jane will end with Rafael.

I don't see any reason to assume that. That may be what happened in the original telenovela, but they've already deviated significantly from it in this version, they can deviate further. They'll go with what they think works best. Joey ended up with Pacey, not Dawson, after all.

Of course there's going to be an obstacle thrown in Jane/Michael's path, because it's a telenovela, but I highly doubt they're going to kill him off. For one thing, his death wouldn't clear the way for Jane/Rafael, because trying to make that viable after what would have led up to it - Jane choosing Michael over Rafael, Jane regretting that she ever got together with Rafael, Jane completely in love with Michael and marrying him, and then he dies on their wedding day? - wouldn't ever work. Rafael would quite clearly be the second choice, the one Jane went with only because she'd lost Michael, and that wouldn't be very satisfying for viewers, even those who are Jane/Rafael fans.

But I agree with the point above that killing off Michael is just out of character with the show's tone. Deaths on this show are of the LOL variety, and other types of traumas are also either played for laughs or gotten over within an episode. Nothing's ever meant to be taken that seriously except the love the characters have for each other, but Michael's death couldn't be handled that way. "The day he died" thing will be a fake-out - he'll technically die, and then be revived. Something like that.

Petra/Jane - simply the best. And now they've definitely bonded, so I trust more of that will be coming. And naming the babies Anna and Elsa is just too awesome. Eventually the realization about Frozen will dawn on Petra and Rafael, after the hundredth Frozen-themed present and thousandth remark, but Petra probably won't mind that much once she finds out Elsa's a queen with magic and Anna a princess who doesn't ever give up (Petra would respect that trait). She will probably develop a special death glare for anyone who starts to bust out "Let It Go" though...

• Love 6
I LOVE Petra and Jane together. They seem to bring out the best in each other. The birthing scene was extremely touching. Very well done!

Petra/Jane is the best. More of that, please. (Kind of shipping it?)

The Michael/Jane proposal was so sweet.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

I don't see any reason to assume that. That may be what happened in the original telenovela, but they've already deviated significantly from it in this version, they can deviate further.

I don't think Jane will end up with Rafael because Juana ended up with Mauricio in the original. I think it because most shows, deep down, are quite conservative in spite of it all, and I find it unlikely that she won't end up with Mateo's father or even that she won't lose her virginity to him, eventually. I can't say it with complete certainty, of course, but I'm more inclined to think that instead of thinking she might end up with Michael and Rafael will "settle" for Petra. Rafael is even more of a main character than Michael is, imo. The protagonists are him and Jane.

Letting Jane and Michael have their moment of glory and joy now, specially considering how abrupt it all has been, could just be a way of finally closing the door on Michael, before they move on to Rafael and Jane again, now with the complication first that she's mourning Michael and eventually that Petra has kids with Rafael, too.

Maybe it won't happen, but I see it as possible. Good people die in comedies, too. Michael's partner wasn't a complete villain and she was murdered too, and in a situation that made him feel guilty. Luisa was supposed to die by episode three, IIRC, and Rafael was meant to feel guilty about his last interactions with her (that's actually in one of the pilot's drafts, back when Rose was been Luisa's college roommate or something, instead of the backstory they ended up with).

So I still see it as possible. Though I hope not. I prefer Michael and Jane, I love their familiarity and all the history they have.

• Love 1

Difference is that Luisa and Nadine aren't principal characters nor have strong ties to Jane. Michael does.

The argument that was being made was that it would be too much of a bummer for a comedy show and only bad people died on the show, which was different. Yet they were gonna kill of Luisa, and they killed Rafael's father, too.

I agree.  This show is very comedic but it also doesn't avoid heartache.  Nor is it averse to time jumps to push through some of that heartache.  Again, I don't know that this will happen but if it doesn't happen, it's likely more because that isn't the story TPTB want to tell rather than it not fitting in with the tone.

• Love 2
The argument that was being made was that it would be too much of a bummer for a comedy show and only bad people died on the show, which was different.

That wasn't my argument. It's been villains and peripheral characters. Rafael's dad wasn't a villain, but he definitely was a peripheral character without a lot of ties to the main characters or plot. Had they killed Luisa in the third episode, she would've been in a similar position. That is very much not the case with Michael.

If they do kill him off (permanently) I think it would be a mistake. Reminds me a bit of Burn Notice when they killed off Michael's brother. The show was limping along in the later seasons, but for a lot of people that was a turning point where the show just started taking itself way too seriously and got too far away from its candy-colored, silly, fun-in-the-sun action pieces.

I don't think it's impossible for the writers to pull off a Michael death without screwing up the dynamic of the show, but I do think it would be very tough.

Edited by Gin and Tonic
  • Love 1

As soon as she declared her undying true love for Michael I said, "he's toast". The show's called 'Jane the Virgin' after all. So unless they're going to deal with the situation by having Michael do something unforgivably bad (been there, done that, got over it) then he's dead.

Overall, I loved this episode. I thought it was fantastic. Jane and Petra together were as great as I always thought they could be. But Rafael missing his daughters' births because he was stuck in traffic? That just left such a bad taste in my mouth after Petra's "second choice" episode last week. The guy did nothing wrong and I feel like the writers are punishing him. Are they actually going to have him spiral further? Because it's getting tired.

Edited to clarify: when I said Rafael did "nothing wrong" I meant by helping Michael find his brother. It would be one thing if he missed his daughters' birth because he was drunk and screwing around. The writers punishing him with missing the birth could be used narratively as a wake-up call. But he was actively trying to do the right thing and doing it with a guy he hates and for that he gets to the hospital too late?  Every episode this season has had a moment like this. One where you're rolling around enjoying the wild, hilarious ride and then... mouth ashes.

Edited by AudienceofOne

I am glad that Xo finally confronted Alba about the 40 years of slut shaming she's been dealing with from her own mother. I mean, part of me gets that there are still mothers today slut shaming their daughters about their sexuality so it's more understandable that Alba was slut shaming Xiomara through the 80s and 90s (and let's be honest, the 00s and the 10s), but it really annoyed me in the previous episode when Alba told Jane that if she had sex, she wouldn't judge her. I just rolled my eyes because she has been pressuring Jane not to have sex since the time Jane was old enough to remember. I have no doubt that she did the same to Xiomara.

But it really bothered me that she was promising Jane she wouldn't judge her for having sex when it's clear that she's been judging Xiomara for having sex - and not just when she got pregnant with Jane. Remember how judgemental she got when Xiomara and Rogelio first reunited? Not because she thought Rogelio was a bad person but because Xiomara was having sex with him. And even when Alba was clearly in favor of Xo and Ro, Alba made some comment about how Rogelio would never propose to her because of that old cliche about not buying the cow if you're already getting the milk for free. It's bad enough to slut shame your teenage daughter for having sex, but Xo was 38/39 when she started dating Rogelio again.

Xo is much more forgiving than I am. First of all, she had every right to be angry with her mother about the years of slut shaming regardless of whether Alba had sex before she got married. The fact that Alba had sex with some other guy just makes it even worse. I couldn't believe that Xo was able to brush aside 40 years of slut shaming and say that Alba could make it up to her by telling her all about the guy she had sex with before she got married. If I were here, I would have raged a lot longer, but I'm a cranky bitch.

Xo and Alba's conversation was long overdue, and I know I should have liked the scene, but it felt force to me.

I feel terrible saying this, but I think that the actress who plays Xo is very good in some regards but the angry yelling type scenes like that are not her forte.

Loved Petra and Jane's hijinks together! First Petra kidnapping Jane then coaching her how to give that author a verbal bitch slap. Jane helping Petra during labor was very sweet too.

Oh, Rogelio. So close! I thought maybe Paola would be flattered that he was willing to shoot her, like he was just speeding up her schedule for them dying together. I did have to laugh at Paola's lavender robe. I know she's a crazy stalker, but she was considerate enough to get matching robes.

I don't ship Jane with Michael or Rafael so I have no horse in this race. I am fine with her reconciling with Michael but I think they rushed getting engaged/married. I guess they think it's okay because they were going to get married before, but I agree with Petra - they had problems in their relationship which is why they broke up, and I think that they need to deal with those issues a little more thoroughly before getting engaged. This episode begins ten days after the last one ended, so to me that says Jane and Michael are still in the happy honeymoon part of their reunion where they're excited to be back together. Getting engaged less than two weeks after you get back together seems a little too hasty for me. I'd rather they date a little while, maybe go to some counseling to hash out any remaining issues, and then get engaged in a few months.

The other reason their insta-engagement bothered me is that it obviously stemmed from both of them wanting to have sex. If you want to have sex, go ahead and have sex! You don't have to get engaged and married to do that. Rushing into a lifelong commitment just so you can insert tab A into slot B is not ideal to me. Then again, I'm one of those girls who Alba would slut shame because I think you SHOULD have sex before you get married.

Loved Jane trying to hide her laughter when Rafael called his newborn daughters by their Frozen names. Those poor kids are in for a lifetime of people screaming the chorus of "Let It Go" at them and asking if they want to build a snowman.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo