Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Place: Gratefulness And Smiles

• Start Topic

Like most people, I have any number of alternate routes to work when there's traffic but I have finally strung together a way to get there on back roads that bring me up and down hills through forests and farm land. It's too twisty to attempt on snowy days but right for now, it's a beautiful trip that calms me and makes me smile even though I'm headed for an office job that does neither.

• Love 8

OK, after having made a few cranky posts, I need to try to counter that by saying that I'm grateful that my 80-something mother was well cared for while I made a recent epic journey and now that I'm back home that she's doing fairly well. Oh, and I'm grateful that it's a beautiful day outside in my corner of the world with everyone I'm interacting with being friendly and happy to interact with me and each other. Lastly, I'm thankful that I'm at at job where my diligence is being appreciated and they seem interested in seeing if I could help things go forward (time will tell what this means, though).  Anyway, let me try to bring folks up instead of being among those who try do take folks down figuratively and/or literally.

• Love 4

Did you ever walk through the house multitasking, brushing your teeth, picking stuff up, walk downstairs to let the dogs in, finish brushing your teeth downstairs, walk back upstairs, see some garbage on the floor that the cat dragged there, pick it up, open the door to the closet where the washing machine and dryer reside, throw out the cat garbage in the waste basket there, set your toothbrush down on the dryer, move some clothes from the washer to the dryer, close the closet door, jump on your exercise bike and go on with the rest of your evening. 

And then the next morning have no freaking idea where your toothbrush is?  

I am grateful todaythat I needed something in the dryer this morning and solved the mystery before I left for work. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I'm having a sub-optimal October so far but since my appetite is depressed along with the rest of me, those jeans that are usually too tight fit great today.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 6

I'm everlastingly glad our three-day accreditation site visit is over.  It was actually over as of lunchtime last Thursday, but it's taken this long for most of us to get over being sick from being massively stressed out, because it's been all accreditation all the time since at least June.  And we passed, so we don't have to do this again for seven years.

• Love 2

I am thankful that the safety features in my car worked as intended and I walked away from a fairly serious accident with a bruise and some general soreness from the seat belt.   Assuming my car is totaled (more than likely) I will absolutely be buying the exact same car.  

She was only 2 (not even) and I'm sad, but glad to still be here.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Geez! Glad you're still with us!  What make of car was this, by the way - I'm sure we'd all like to survive our next accident.:)

It was a Mazda.  Interior was pristine, save for the airbag dust.  Exterior was a disaster.  

• Love 3

I'm grateful that a bus driver actually spotted my dropped wallet, followed me inside to my destination then gave it to me. I didn't even know it had been missing and, of course, it would have been a disaster had it been stolen! Anyway, it's good to know that there are still honest folks out there (and he left before I could get his name).

• Love 7

I'm going to go catch up with a whole bunch of my old college friends tomorrow. I love doing stuff like this. It's a diverse group; some of them are my best friends, some are a guys I always like seeing now and then over time, and a few are guys I haven't seen in YEARS. The funny thing is that we'll see each other, call each other by college nicknames last used in 1995 when we were at the same wedding, and then move right into conversations like no time has passed.

This stuff does wonders for my soul. I'm extremely fortunate to have things like this in my life.

• Love 6

JT Mac,

I've got what you're saying! It's been decades since I was in high school but every so often I'll hear someone call out my nickname that was never used before/since and I'll have to turn around and smile before catching up. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Blergh said:

JT Mac,

I've got what you're saying! It's been decades since I was in high school but every so often I'll hear someone call out my nickname that was never used before/since and I'll have to turn around and smile before catching up. 

I got a text from one of the guys who got my number from someone we both keep in touch with. It addressed me by my nickname and he signed it with his. 

I did put him in my contacts with his real name. 

So as I first reported about a year ago, I've been getting my monthly box of clothes from StitchFix, and it's been fun trying on stuff I would have NEVER tried on in a store. It's all tied in to the fact that I decided not to be fat anymore at the start of 2016. Recently I've actually started to get some results from the endless gym attendance so some of the medium stuff I got last year is now too tight. So as I progress, I've left the monthly boxes coming.

Last month was a dud. They sent me a sweater I thought was perfect and then I tried it on and it was HUGE. They said they shipped a large, but it was an XL. I couldn't even swap the size because I'm between M and L depending on the cut, and had no idea which was right. 

This month I told her (they've settled in on Carly as the person who sends me stuff) that I need a couple sweaters because it's getting freaking cold out, a pair of comfortable jeans, and casual stuff for the weekends to break up the hoodies of sports teams I tend to wear.

She nailed it with a couple of great sweaters, the jeans are perfect if not a little loose in the waist but they don't have the size down for a swap so I will just wear a good belt. The casual shirt was perfect until I tried it on. It's long and skinny. At 5'10", I'm not that long. But my soon to be teenage son is almost my height, so I dropped in on him. It's a little big, but it'll be perfect next fall when he grows another five inches like he has this year.

The kicker was a navy fleece jacket. I would have never given this one a second look and then I tried it on, buttoned it up (it has buttons instead of a zipper) and thought to myself, "well, this is exactly what I should be wearing." I can put a link to it here, at the Grayers website, but I don't want to be the guy who is responsible for targeted adds on your computers.

Of course when she sends me jeans and a jacket, this ended up being a freaking expensive box. So I'm pushing the next one off until January to give myself a break, but I'm pretty pleased with what I got this time. It's like I'm dressed like a grown up sometimes. 

• Love 3

A coworker mentioned to me that he thought I had a light out on the back of my car so I braved the 12 degree weather this morning to bring it to my local brakes/exhaust franchise hoping they could look at it before I had to be at work. They had me in and out in 20 minutes and waved away my intention to pay. It turns out that as of the new year, the owner is retiring and turning the place over to a long time employee who is opening it as his own garage. After being gouged and intimidated by my dealership, I'm happy to give my business to a local fellow so at least my money will be going to someone I like and trust. Remind me of that when my brakes need replaced.

• Love 7

I bought an Erin Condren spiral bound life planner last year.  I wanted to get another one this year, but waited until after the new year and didn't want to order online.  The Staples near me didn't carry them, so I had to drive to another one.  Anyway, I ended up with an 18 month hardbound version due to limited selection.  The cover has a quote printed in matte metallic rose gold.  The pages are also edged in rose gold.  In know by the time I'm done with it it will look like a disaster hit it, but, for now, it looks like it's going to be a very fancy year.

• Love 3

For a few days, I've been coming across a poster for a show reading (roughly translated): If you mock the crocodile, it's because you haven't crossed the river.

And today I got it: I DID cross the river! I DID survive the crocodile! I understand the poster!

Yay me!  

• Love 2

Lovely sunny day. Despite the temperature being in the 30s, my sunny balcony is warm enough for me to take me coffee there without adding a layer. Now looking for some artificial grass to make that big balcony even friendlier.

• Love 1

I am so pleased to see the back of January. Always a depressing month: dark mornings, dark nights, cold, grim, cloudy, frost and ice etc. 

I know February is not much better weather-wise, but it gives me a nice psychological lift knowing that the days and nights are slowly becoming lighter and warmer.

Bring it on, February! 

• Love 3

I discovered that a local craft brewery (really local, like four minutes from my house) has live music Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I’ve figured out a way to get a quick beer and a show many of these dark winter weekend days. 

The guy playing today is phenomenal. Just did great covers of STP, The Allman Brothers (Soulshine! Heads up @stewedsquash, I might post lyrics) Glen Frey, and Bad Company. So good.

I got a real taste for this sort of thing when I visited Nashville in the spring. And now I’ve found it my backyard. 

Next up is finding somebody to join me. Some of my coworkers must want to break up the routine. 

• Love 3

And when your world seems cold, you got to let your spirit take control.

43 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Oh, and I am always smiling when I think "toldya" ;)

Yeah, yeah... 

So this Saturday is a Grateful Dead cover band who per their Facebook page: "Playing the best music you can see.
Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, Tom Petty, The Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, Van Morrison, Old Crow, Clapton, The Band, Reggae, Blues etc."

And Sunday is this guy Sean O'Flynn: "Guitarist / Vocalist born and raised in Bronx NY. Influenced mostly by 70's era rock, especially the southern rock genre. Self employed and living in beautiful Sussex County NJ." I think we've got a shot at some Jackson Browne for sure with this guy. 

I didn't embed the video attached to that link, because if you want to hear that song, why not just time travel back to 1969 with me right now: 

• Love 1

British comedian Miranda Hart, who is awesome, is hosting her second annual Valentine's Day event on Twitter. It's #Hartsvalentinesday.   People are posting photos, videos and general chat about how fabulous being uncoupled can be.

• Love 2

This might only be funny to me, but here goes:  Today, I was driving back from all day meetings at one of our campuses.  I was on a highway, so I was driving 65mph (give or take a couple of miles).  As I was driving along, I started to hear a sound that reminded me of when I was a kid and we would attach playing cards to our bikes to get that distinctive whapping sound from the spokes as we rode around.  Then, a car came up to my left and as it passed me, I noticed that both windows on the passenger side (front and back) were missing and they had taped up pieces of plastic sheeting to cover the holes.  The plastic was coming loose and flapping, making that noise.  I really got the giggles (but felt kind of bad, since I know their car was damaged and they were probably doing the best they could at the time), but all I could think of was that it sounded just like a giant person blowing a big raspberry ('thrppppppppppppp!')  I laughed to myself for about 10 miles before a huge rainstorm hit and I had to remind myself that driving was a serious business!

Edited by BooksRule
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I just received an item I don't need on any functional level, but needed desperately because it is beauteous.  The picture doesn't do it justice:  Osaka Coffee Carafe with birch stand.

It has an incredible stainless steel filter with two layers - not a speck of ground got into my coffee.

As an added bonus, it made a pretty good cup of coffee even on the maiden voyage.  Those who know me, know that coffee, my preferred delivery system for caffeine, is very important to me.  For me to be enamored with the looks to the point of not caring about the quality of the brew is a huge deal.

I am ridiculously happy.

• Love 4

Last night I was walking up to the bus stop behind a man who was sort of wandering up the sidewalk in a daze, and when he realized I was behind him he moved over and said "Sorry, my son just made it through brain surgery and that's all I'm thinking about."  So I said Excellent, glad to hear it, and he slapped me on the back and we went our separate ways.  And I didn't mind that a perfect stranger had just slapped me on the back, because he seemed to want somebody to be glad with and I could do that for him.

• Love 15

On my evening commute home from work (through quiet neighborhoods, no highway route needed--I'm always grateful for that), I enjoyed the sights, feelings and smells.  Let me explain:  There was a nice (not spectacular, but pretty) sunset, the temperature was in the low 60s with a low humidity so I had the window down, I could smell fresh cut grass as I passed one house.  I could also smell grilling meat (smelled like steak!) at another.  I'm now happy to be home and plan to enjoy scrounging for my dinner (sandwich, chips, maybe a boiled egg or two and a leftover raspberry Danish for dessert) and watching the shows I recorded last night and today, including the rest of 'S.W.A.T.', three 'ER' episodes and will watch 'Hawaii Five-O' later.  A fine Friday night after a hard week.  

• Love 8
On 2/24/2018 at 8:06 AM, DeLurker said:

I just received an item I don't need on any functional level, but needed desperately because it is beauteous.  The picture doesn't do it justice:  Osaka Coffee Carafe with birch stand.

And now I have added an electric gooseneck kettle to the kitchen appliances just for my beauteous carafe.  I found pouring water over without one to be less than efficient (and tidy).

Although it takes a while to go through the whole process to make a "pot" (really just 3 normal size coffee mugs), it has the unexpected benefit of absorbing all my attention.  Multi-tasking is not very effective for me now as I tend to get scattered or overwhelmed; however, I've gotten to the point where I have a harder time intentionally shutting off outside disturbances (or those pesky internal ones that don't stay in their lanes).

An unexpected bonus, at the cost of the electric kettle.

Edited by DeLurker
Because now is spelled without a k even when I haven't finished my 1st cup.
  • Love 1

I have spent most of today out onsite with a new client wanting some computer hardware installing and configuring. Took about 8 hours to complete, followed by another hour driving back home. I wasn't quite sure what to cook for dinner because my brain was a little fazed and my body was aching due to all the heavy lifting and shuffling around on the datacentre floor fitting the hardware. I knew my girlfriend would be popping round at some point but I phoned her to say I would be a little late.

Anyway, about an hour ago I returned home feeling really tired. My girlfriend's car was in the drive so I knew she was in, probably wondering what I was going to cook for dinner. But imagine my surprise when I entered my dining room to find the dining table laid out with napkins, knives, forks, wine glasses and a couple of lit candles. She asked me to take a seat and then she disappeared into the kitchen and returned carry two plates of sizzling Welsh Rarebit - a very simple meal, probably because my g/f isn't a great cook other than being a "ping queen".

So it was really nice she took the time out to cook for me for a change, and it lifted my spirits after a very long and challenging day! 

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Zola said:

I have spent most of today out onsite with a new client wanting some computer hardware installing and configuring. Took about 8 hours to complete, followed by another hour driving back home. I wasn't quite sure what to cook for dinner because my brain was a little fazed and my body was aching due to all the heavy lifting and shuffling around on the datacentre floor fitting the hardware. I knew my girlfriend would be popping round at some point but I phoned her to say I would be a little late.

Anyway, about an hour ago I returned home feeling really tired. My girlfriend's car was in the drive so I knew she was in, probably wondering what I was going to cook for dinner. But imagine my surprise when I entered my dining room to find the dining table laid out with napkins, knives, forks, wine glasses and a couple of lit candles. She asked me to take a seat and then she disappeared into the kitchen and returned carry two plates of sizzling Welsh Rarebit - a very simple meal, probably because my g/f isn't a great cook other than being a "ping queen".

So it was really nice she took the time out to cook for me for a change, and it lifted my spirits after a very long and challenging day! 

I would definitely say that thoughtful surprises are big pluses worth weighing against small quirks and foibles!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Help out a yank...ping?

The "ping" sound you get from the microwave when a packaged meal is cooked. She adores the microwave, and makes me wonder what she would do if I didn't own one!

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I would definitely say that thoughtful surprises are big pluses worth weighing against small quirks and foibles!

Agreed. For all her little faults and mannerisms, she can be extremely thoughtful, which always surprises me in a good way.

• Love 3
On 2/11/2018 at 4:27 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I discovered that a local craft brewery (really local, like four minutes from my house) has live music Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I’ve figured out a way to get a quick beer and a show many of these dark winter weekend days. 

The guy playing today is phenomenal. Just did great covers of STP, The Allman Brothers (Soulshine! Heads up @stewedsquash, I might post lyrics) Glen Frey, and Bad Company. So good.

Same guy today. Still makes me happy. 

Today we got more Alman Brothers (Midnight Rider, still hasn’t done Melissa, heh), Pink Floyd, Queen, Van Morrison, and the freaking Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald. 

And Take it Easy: Don’t let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy. Good advice.

I really can’t recommend more highly going out to see local live music. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 5

I have probably mentioned this here before, and probably more than once, but once again I want to just say I'm grateful for old friends and the effort we all put in to get together at least once a year. Which is what I did this past weekend.

We have now known each other for 32 years. The second I step through the door, it is as though no time has passed. (Emotionally, obviously not physically. There's a lot of holding phones at arm's length these days.) We share stories of our current lives, opinions on everything form movies to politics. A few of the stories from when we were in school ended with "We could have died!" Heh. And now that some of us are sending children off to college, we wonder if we want them to have some of the same experiences...

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I have probably mentioned this here before, and probably more than once, but once again I want to just say I'm grateful for old friends and the effort we all put in to get together at least once a year. Which is what I did this past weekend.

We have now known each other for 32 years. The second I step through the door, it is as though no time has passed. (Emotionally, obviously not physically. There's a lot of holding phones at arm's length these days.) We share stories of our current lives, opinions on everything form movies to politics. A few of the stories from when we were in school ended with "We could have died!" Heh. And now that some of us are sending children off to college, we wonder if we want them to have some of the same experiences...

I have to agree with you, wholeheartedly!

Having good trusted friends is one of life's great wonders. They're always there looking out for you during the good times and bad, and it's just nice to be part of that reassuring "collective".

Sometimes I will be invited to some High School or University reunions with old friends, and it is such a delight meeting up with them again, wining & dining, talking about old times and new times, and generally just having a ball! (And meeting up with these guys is even more special since I don't bother with social media; and therefore when I meet up with them face2face, we have soooo much to talk about, that it makes the evening or weekend really, really special!

Absolutely gobsmacked you have friends going back 30 odd years. I wasn't even around back then!

Here's to good friends!

Yesterday, I was cleaning some things off of a table in my bedroom that was rather messy, and I moved my jewelry box slightly.  I saw a little piece of paper and pulled it out.  It was a Christmas card with gift that I got in December.  I had put it back so I wouldn't spend it so fast. Opened it up and it had $120.00!  YAAAY.  What a treat!  I put it in my vacation savings account.  

• Love 8