Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Place: Gratefulness And Smiles

• Start Topic

(edited)

A place to share the small or big moments in life that make you smile. I enjoy the sarcastic joking in the peeves thread, but even I am not annoyed 24/7.

To start, I'm extremely pleased and thankful for prednisone. Sure, I've had to give up my dream of being the first senior citizen to win the Tour de France, but finally feeling normal again after a bad health year is a worthwhile trade-off. I'll even take the puffy cheeks!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5
(edited)

Ritter Sport Milk Chocolate with Cornflakes bars. No, seriously, they are delicious.

Thanks for the tip! Are they very different from rice krispies in chocolate?

For a sweet/salty combo, I'd also recommend chocolate covered potato chips. I used to get them locally made at a candy shop when I lived in North Dakota* in the '80s but it seems like they're pretty widely available now.

* With Minnesota, the third largest potato growing region in the country!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

OK, thanks for doing this! It's good to find something to counterbalance the drive to wanna kvetch!

Here's something that always brings a smile to me: chocolate chip cookies! No matter where I've gone, or what I've been doing or how bummed out I might have been, chocolate chip cookies have never failed to cheer me up and put me in a good state.

This was best epitomized when my connecting flight to Vancouver got cancelled due to fog and I had to 'overnight' in Denver in a hotel 20 miles from the airport and knew I'd have to be BACK at the airport a mere four hours later to try to get to Vancouver the next morning, the complimentary chocolate chip cookies made the difference to keep me from being totally bummed out re missing a day's time in BC and having to 'hurry and wait' to get the next connection. Nope, they didn't change the outcome any but, as illogical as it sounds, they made me feel as though a quick crash in Denver would be okay even though I wouldn't get to see any of the city or sites.

• Love 1

My husband is getting a promotion this summer!  Yay!  

Congrats to him and any your mutual bank accounts! If the stars align, it will even be a job he likes. :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of job requires a 3-month notice of an impending promotion? Does it necessitate training of some sort, or are we waiting for the current officeholder to leave?

(edited)

Congrats to him and any your mutual bank accounts! If the stars align, it will even be a job he likes. :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of job requires a 3-month notice of an impending promotion? Does it necessitate training of some sort, or are we waiting for the current officeholder to leave?

He's military.  The date of his promotion is based on his "line number"; only a certain number of people will be promoted to the next rank each year, so he won't get promoted until everyone ahead of him in line are.  Does that make sense?  

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

Last year, I got back in touch with someone I hadn't seen for close to 25 years (since I graduated, roughly). And we got on so well that we've been planning a great holiday together, just the two of us, in a few weeks. So much looking forward to it!

• Love 4

NutMeg, it's nice how sometimes we easily fall into old friendship patterns even with people we haven't seen for a long time. I hope the holiday is great. :)

I've never eaten at Chick-Fil-A, even though there's one a few miles away. I was just cruising their online menu and think I'll check it out today to see what the hubbub's about. I'll definitely add a cookie to my order!

A franchise of Chicken Salad Chick recently opened in the same part of town, so maybe I'll make it an all-chicken restaurant run. Dang. Now that I think of it, the Chinese restaurant that I like with the good orange chicken is over there, too...

Ritter Sport Milk Chocolate with Cornflakes bars. No, seriously, they are delicious.

I love their dark chocolate marzipan.

I'm grateful for you both mentioning these because the first one sounded intriguing and the second made me give marzipan another shot.  The versions I have had in the paste were akin to eating waxy glue.

World Market is the only place near me where I have seen Ritter's so stopped by while I was in the area.  They had bitsy sample sized ones on sale for 49 cents each, so I bought a couple of different flavors to taste.  As a result, I ended up buying full sized versions on the Cornflake one and the chocolate covered biscuit one (not based on a sample, but just because it seemed like something I would like).  I didn't buy a full size version of the marzipan, but it was so much superior to the other marzipans I have tried.  The only disappointment was the praline version.

• Love 1

The talks about inventive candy here reminds me of my grocery store it has some pretty creative stuff.

Cashew butter with srihacha, peanut butter with pineapple and cayenne pepper, dark chocolate with pop rocks and chili peppers & fresh kettle chips cooked in Guinness (bought a sack for my parents along with link sausages)...

It quit raining, so the boy (he's 4) and I went out for a walk to splash in the puddles. I pointed out a worm to him, thinking he'd find it cool, but he thought it was icky and slimy and kept asking what would happen if it got into his boots.

A franchise of Chicken Salad Chick recently opened in the same part of town, so maybe I'll make it an all-chicken restaurant run.

I had lunch at a Chicken Salad Chick place a while back.  It was really tasty.  The only nitpick I might have it that I wish their salad was chunkier (that's how I like my chicken salad).  As I said though, it was tasty.

I'm grateful for my place of work.  Anytime I pass by construction workers working on paving roads, directing traffic, roofing, etc. I remember how lucky I am that I work in a nice air conditioned building (academic library), have a nice office, work among pretty nice people and make enough money to live on and support two cats.  And, although my house needs some work, it too has A/C and heat, is sturdy and is a nice place to come home to every night.  Last (but not least), I'm grateful for my two spoiled cats (I love 'em to pieces).

• Love 3

I'm also so grateful for my current job situation.

I'm currently working as a High School Lifeskills/Special Education teacher for 7 students at a well-established local charter school and just signed on for my second year here with a nice raise.

This is a pretty damned well-deserved position considering my nearly 15 years of teaching. And I've taught in some pretty shitty schools with some pretty shitty students for some pretty shitty paychecks in all these years; I've been punched/slapped/scratched/kicked/spit on/humiliated by former problem students, I've been hired and fired, laid off, even been reduced to cleaning toilets and party-stripping between jobs just to make ends meet, so my good professional karma was long overdue.

To finally be content in my classroom and be paid what I'm worth and to actually be appreciated both by an excellent principal and likable colleagues at a school that's a five minute drive from my house, well, for all that I finally feel so very blessed.

It's so nice to go to work every day and feel like you're making such a difference and that your fellow staff believes in and supports you.

And to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel for paying off my $30k worth of student loans? Such a good, liberating feeling...if I can reach age 40 next year with all my debts wiped clean((other than my mortgage, of course)), I can die a happy and complete woman with the travel budget I've dreamt of my entire life.

What else makes me smile? Champagne...and lots of it.

Dry or sweet, pink or white, with OJ or without...in any form, it's just the ultimate liquid luxury in my book!

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 5

Sun-Bun - as a parent of a special needs child (high functioning autism), I am grateful to hear that you've found a position that is rewarding.  My son had adaptive provisions all through school and was mainstreamed for 80% of the day.  I was fortunate that his mix of teachers, be they new to the field or old hands, were so committed to his progress.  They continually adjust their approach with him bases on what was working and what wasn't.  The administration too in elementary school - if he was in your class, it was a sure bet you had the "best" class since they loaded his classrooms with kids that were on the more mature and patient side.  And the teachers and administration worked with me - they told me what they were trying to achieve in a short term goal and I reinforced the approach at home so there was consistency for him and sometimes I already knew how to build that mousetrap so I would share with them.

I wish you all the best and thank you for your commitment to teaching.  And I am sending you a case of virtual champagne!  When I used to drink, that was my drink of choice - I would rather spend the money for a decent bottle once a month than drink less fulfilling stuff several times a month.  I didn't believe that champagne should only be for special occasions and New Years.

• Love 1

Thank you so very much, DeLurker---that's so sweet of you to say!! I really appreciate that; I switched my endorsement from teaching Art/English to Special Ed five years ago, and even though it was originally a decision I made strictly for job-security, turns out it was the best decision I ever made for both my career and my mind---I've taken my bruises working with these types of students, but it's all been so worth it...and much to my surprise, turns out I have a natural affinity with them, especially the mid-to-low-functioning autism students.

And you have my deepest respect as a parent to such a student, DeLurker---I've seen how tough it's been for many of the parents I deal with, and it's beyond just a parental commitment...it's a total lifestyle-changer. I've dealt with the more challenging autism students who aren't even able to sleep, have extreme texture/toileting issues, are scary aggressive, obsessed with eating/throwing certain items...some of those parents aren't even able to deal with those students anymore and have to give them up to the state, it's so bad.

Good for you having such an amazing support system for your son; he's one of the very lucky few.

Bubbly cheers to you both!!

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 1

Well, I'll add my cheerful news.

After 36 hours of labor my baby girl finally arrived last Monday. I thought the more kids you had the easier the labor but that was obviously not the case here. She was a toughy. I had to be induced at 37 weeks and it was clear that she was not at all ready to enter the world.

She has two big brothers to help her learn how to navigate this earth who couldn't be more in love with their baby sister!

• Love 14

I'm grateful for the little bit of spring we're getting this week (and next).  Even though it's overcast and some rain is expected, I'm happy for the temperatures in the upper 60s and low 70s.  Here in the south, I had already had to turn on my A/C and was dreading the big electric bills that appear in the summer.

As I looked through my back patio door this morning, I saw a hummingbird way, way back in the backyard getting breakfast at one of my blooming azaleas.  I need to get out my feeder.  I love to watch those guys buzz around and drink their fill at flowers or my feeder's sugar water.

• Love 2

I'm grateful for the internet--cause how else would I learn so many things from forums like this one?  And Prosecco!  I just discovered that it's only 10.4% alcohol w/ less sugar than regular wine (less calories, maybe?)  And our almost 20 year old Maine C*** Cat, M. Tiger Lily.  She's a piece of work and continues to bring us laughter and joy.

• Love 6

I am thankful for the super nice staff at the hospital. I had to take Dad in for dehydration the other nght, and they were so patient with him. A couple of bags of fluid and he was ready to go home. FYI for those of you who care for elderly parents -- it doesn't take as long for their electrolytes to get out of whack and symptoms can mimic those of a stroke.

I never knew that!  After I read your post, I did a search and found this article (looked for something not too technical cause my brain can't always understand what they are saying or why it is important).  It was very informative.  I sent a quick synopsis to my parents and a copied my brother so he can print out the article for them.  Thanks for giving a little background on what lead to your Dad's visit because it was really helpful.  I hope he is feeling better.

My town is replacing water meters in my neighborhood and when I called in I got the earliest appointment on the day of my choice.  The guy came on time, was neat and polite and was done in twenty minutes so I had plenty of time to move on with my day.

That happens so rarely I thought I'd mark the occasion!

• Love 5
(edited)

Ten years ago, I quit my (hated) job and moved from Denver to Austin. I didn't have a position lined up but assumed it wouldn't be too hard to find since I have experience up the wazoo. Didn't figure on age discrimination, but another story. It ended up taking me 7 months to find work and, due to preexisting medical conditions, I could not get health insurance to save my life. Anything. State, Federal, Medicaid, personal policy. I ended up taking a job as a receptionist for $22K just for the insurance.

Cue to last December when I quit work again due to a change in management. I had 10 months to go until Medicare kicked in, but what a different experience! I was able to sign up for a Marketplace health plan online and nobody could refuse me. So I am personally VERY grateful for and appreciative of Obamacare. I'm sure millions of others like me are, too.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 7

I'm grateful for the fact that, no matter where I go, if someone finds out I'm my mother's child, they'll ALWAYS relate how nice a person they consider to be.   I agree but I admit to being a bit biased on the subject.

• Love 5

My ex had the opposite problem - his Dad was a very popular high school teacher so he always heard "Your Dad is so great!  It must be wonderful to have a father like that!".  My ex had an enormous List of Sins for everyone, his Dad included.  Having spent a bunch of time with my ex's family, siblings included, I can safely say that my ex FIL was very invested in his students; his children?  Not even close. So being told by everyone Dad is the best was brutal.

And I emphasize very invested but he was a lot more invested in female students that happened to be attractive.

But on to good stuff!

I came home from hitting the grocery store early to get my Easter dinner essentials, to find my kids (21 yo son and 15 yo daughter) watching some kids show they used to watch years ago, Crashbox.  They were completely enjoying it without embarrassment.

OK, since it's Easter (and I'm a Christian), I'm going to say I'm grateful for the holiday even though I'm not part of any congregation at this time. I like the concept of celebrating renewals and making new lives after devastating losses (as well as celebrating winter's end being around the corner AND regrowth of greenery). 

• Love 3

We took the boy (4-1/2) to big church today for the first time, and he behaved very well. He circled pictures on the sermon notes for nonreaders, which took about 5 minutes, then drew pictures. Every little bit he would look up and watch the pastor during the sermon. But he didn't talk or fuss.

• Love 3

One of my brothers was in a toxic marriage - things were sour from the getgo.  He filed for divorce last fall and she moved out Jan 1.  Divorce is still not final, but ...he's been hanging out with a girl from our old neighborhood.  Not sure how serious it is because he told her early on that he only thought of her as a friend.  Not sure what the status is now, but they are still hanging out and doing stuff together.  They both treat each other nicely and are supportive, my nephew tells me that they laugh like crazy together.

I'm glad for both of them - regardless of what "it" is.  They both have spent way too long in a relationships that were unhealthy and destructive for them.  I am genuinely pleased that they each make an effort to be considerate and kind to one another. 

• Love 3

Gee...I'm grateful that I got to see so much figure skating during World's competition this past week.  It started on Wednesday on NBC Sports Network and continued through today.  NBC is usually very chintzy with the time they'll allow skating competitions to be shown so seeing many of the Americans' programs was new to me much less the skaters from other countries.  The downside, of course is that I got so nervous watching my favorites that I started eating and eating some more and then some more after that.  So I gained a few pounds...but it was worth it.

• Love 2

Have you seen the black and white photos that have just one splash of color in them?

I was thinking, my life could be a black and white photo. It's complete; there is beauty and strength in the picture, and I really do like looking at it these days. Recently I've made a new friend, and the best way to describe how this friend fits into the photo would be to be the splash of color.  That big hit of yellow that sort of makes everything a little more interesting, a little brighter, a little happier.  It's really neat.

• Love 10

JTMacc99, what a lovely thought.

Stuff like that is why I had to move out of the accounting department to where I am now. My mind wanders into the creative side a little too often for comfort on that side of the building. 

• Love 1

Despite having a long* and varied life, there is one moment in particular that was nothing important but which I'll always remember. It was a perfect Spring day; my backyard had a large cherry tree. The sun was warm and a breeze had wafted through the tree, sending a cascade of small pink petals down to the ground. I was walking out to my garage and stood there for a couple of minutes, head tilted up and arms outstretched, letting the blossoms and sun and smell of the breeze fill my heart.

It was a shot out of any number of movies! Probably happened 20 years ago by now, but if Phoebe Buffay ever told me to go to my happy place, that moment in time would be it.

* As Garry Shandling said in his last public appearance on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: the only time someone in his/her sixties is considered to be young is if they die. "Awww. 65 was so young!"

• Love 7