Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: A Little 4-1-1

• Start Topic

I agree with the comments above that nobody is forcing Bill to be the stay at home parent. I think it's just one of those things that evolved out of necessity, but may be wearing thin. I just don't know too many 40 year-old guys that like to spend their days doing craft projects and playing Candyland. Who knows, Bill could be the exception but it doesn't seem like he's all that hands on at the pet store, so I just wonder if he's getting a little restless.

He just came off as snippy in parts of the interview and he undermined Jen on several questions. It wasn't his usual level of hero-worship for his wife, which made it more noticeable.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

To me, Bill seems like he was happiest when he's working on big projects -- the pet store, the wedding, the fashion show. Even when we saw footage in the beginning where he was working from home at the medical sales company, he seemed bored as hell.

The only problem with that personality is that it's very hard to ever feel fulfilled. He's probably always looking forward to the next project without any kind of direction to move him forward. His two goals in life is a fat bank account and not working for "the man" in a 9-5 job, which he's already accomplished.

On the other hand, Jen probably has a binder that specifically dictates how and when she's going to become Surgeon General. Since Bill can't articulate what he wants to do in life, he gets to help Jen towards her goals. Right now, that's being a SAHD.

Jen seems like the type of women that would support him in anything he wanted to do as long as he said "I want to do X job for Y company and get promoted to Z position in 5 years." Bill seems like the type of guy who would get sucked into a MLM pyramid scheme if they didn't have as much money as they do.

• Love 2

There isn't any concrete evidence that Bill's unhappy, but in this last show especially, there did seem to be a noticeable change in his general demeanor. I don't think I've ever seen Bill interact with Jen as he did the other night. He definitely came off to me as a little condescending in their TH. In fact whenever he corrects Jen he seems to take a small bit of pleasure doing it. So personally I do wonder if he's unhappy about something larger? Is he bored at home, especially if both kids are in school FT? I don't know much about business but it doesn't seem like the pet shop has enough to fill up his week while the kids are gone. Could he be self-conscious and maybe a bit resentful about a wife who's more educated and accomplished than he is? Some men are great with this, but MANY men are not. When he was "out in the business world" himself I don't think he felt it, but he might be aware of it now. Or was he simply having a bad day?

• Love 3

There isn't any concrete evidence that Bill's unhappy, but in this last show especially, there did seem to be a noticeable change in his general demeanor. I don't think I've ever seen Bill interact with Jen as he did the other night. He definitely came off to me as a little condescending in their TH. In fact whenever he corrects Jen he seems to take a small bit of pleasure doing it. So personally I do wonder if he's unhappy about something larger? Is he bored at home, especially if both kids are in school FT? I don't know much about business but it doesn't seem like the pet shop has enough to fill up his week while the kids are gone. Could he be self-conscious and maybe a bit resentful about a wife who's more educated and accomplished than he is? Some men are great with this, but MANY men are not. When he was "out in the business world" himself I don't think he felt it, but he might be aware of it now. Or was he simply having a bad day?

Will's the only 1 of the kids who's in school all day (as was mentioned in at least the ep where Zoey went to/apparently got a crush on her Pediatrician & then had to get a bunch of shots at 1 time--when Bill took her to the burger place after the Dr.'s, at 1 point he reminded her they had to eat fast so they could pick Will up at the school bus); Will's in kindergarten this year. Zoey's still in preschool this year & apparently won't go to kindergarten/all day school until next school year.

If you meant FT as in Monday-Friday as opposed to all day/half day school, I assume both kids are in school Monday-Friday. It's just that Zoey has a shorter schedule per school day than Will right now.

Jen better hope that, over time, this doesn't all blow up in her face. When they were dating/engaged, the agreement was that they would live in New York where Bill could run his business. Jen no sooner had the ring on her finger that she said she wanted to move to Texas. Her family gave him a pet store as a consolation prize.

Now Bill is a SAHD with a pet store.

My perception of men from New York is that they are very manly and proud. It will be interesting to see if the lifestyle that Jen forced on Bill will eventually take a toll on the marriage.

That's quite a way to generalize half the population of en entire state.

I have suspected for awhile that Bill and Jen no longer employed Kate. Kate's resume when she first started was one of a full-time Nanny with an emphasis on early childhood development. Will & Zoey are in school now, so they would only need her for a few hours in the evening. The last time we saw her was the Pet Show which was back in the summer before Zoey started full-time preschool.

Coupled with Bill's seeming annoyance at playing Mr. Mom, I think that he's likely the primary caretaker and that they may only have a babysitter a few evenings a month. Pretending that they still have a nanny keeps the pressure off of Bill having to admit he's a SAHD on camera.

Why in the world do you think being a SAHD is something to be ashamed of?

• Love 7

I don't think being a SAHD is a bad thing. But publicly admitting it when you still may want to get investors for various entrepreneurial ideas may not be the best course of action for Bill. It's not smart for him to announce he's hands off with his business because he's doing dad duty most of the time.

• Love 1

That's quite a way to generalize half the population of en entire state.

As far as we've come as a society, I don't think the concept of SAHD's is entirely accepted, especially amongst men. My fiance's brother-in-law is basically a SAHD, and the male family members loathe him for letting their sister carry the financial burden for the household.

If the current scenario works for Bill and Jen and everyone's happy, more power to them. I'd just be surprised if Bill hasn't had conflicted feelings about their marital and parental roles. Just my two cents.

• Love 2

To me, Bill seems like he was happiest when he's working on big projects -- the pet store, the wedding, the fashion show. Even when we saw footage in the beginning where he was working from home at the medical sales company, he seemed bored as hell.

The only problem with that personality is that it's very hard to ever feel fulfilled. He's probably always looking forward to the next project without any kind of direction to move him forward. His two goals in life is a fat bank account and not working for "the man" in a 9-5 job, which he's already accomplished.

sounded like you were describing another famous "short stature man"......Matt Roloff lol. He does love his projects and overseeing them, waiting impatiently to start the next one. 

Just as there are women who enjoy being Stay at Home Moms, there are men who enjoy Staying Home with the Kids. Even in New York! Even manly men! They love their kids and find that spending these precious early years together is a joy. There is plenty of time for Bill to "find" himself after both kids are in school full time. 

Or maybe he's happy being home during the day, reading novels and eating bon-bons. That doesn't make him any less of a man. 

• Love 9

I was a stay at home mom back when it was "in". Still felt conflicted. Don't see why Bill can't have those feelings but I do not see them personally. I saw normal banter.

Does anyone remember when a new season normally starts? I am going to miss my weekly perkup hour.

• Love 8

Will's the only 1 of the kids who's in school all day (as was mentioned in at least the ep where Zoey went to/apparently got a crush on her Pediatrician & then had to get a bunch of shots at 1 time--when Bill took her to the burger place after the Dr.'s, at 1 point he reminded her they had to eat fast so they could pick Will up at the school bus); Will's in kindergarten this year. Zoey's still in preschool this year & apparently won't go to kindergarten/all day school until next school year.

If you meant FT as in Monday-Friday as opposed to all day/half day school, I assume both kids are in school Monday-Friday. It's just that Zoey has a shorter schedule per school day than Will right now.

My guess was that Will attends a M-F full-day kindergarten, which is great since he looks very able to handle it. Bill & Jen definitely made the right decision in sending him to kindergarten at 5½ [ a year ago I didn't think Will would be able to handle kindergarten until Fall 2016 when he'd be 6½ so he certainly showed me - and more power to him]. And that Zoey goes to her pre-school program 2-3 mornings a week. Very glad to hear she's not in school FT. Four is too early for most kids, and for the exact reasons we see in Zoey - attention span and stamina. A few Fours have the ability to power through without a nap, at least occasionally, because they're so excited about what's going on at the moment. I bet Will, with his boundless enthusiasm, definitely could [and has]. But Zoey has shown a number of times that she knows when she's had too much and she happily goes off for a nap. This is great, because it means that Bill & Jen don't have to fight the Nap Battle with her. I'm guessing she'd be an extremely cute but very formidable little opponent if they did - LOL.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Wellfleet

Wow... I thought he was having a good time with Jen!  

I thought so, too! Bill was a very successful businessman, sold his share of his business after they moved to Houston (I think he had a partner in NY) and made a boatload of money doing it. I would imagine he will find something else to venture in to when he is ready. Let's not forget, he was dealing with a wife who was diagnosed with cancer, a new baby and a toddler. He was fortunate enough financially to be able to be there for his family. Then once Jen was on the mend, he was dealing with severe back pain and had to have surgery with a long recouperation period. The family has been busy!! They even said they were enjoying a bit of uneventful normalcy now. When he's had enough of the super dad role, he will find something to do and I'm sure be successful at it once again!

• Love 8

My personal opinion of a 40 year old person who chooses to sit home and read novels and eat bon bons, whether male or female, is that they are pathetic and lazy.

And I think they're lucky!  Tomato, tomahto.

If Bill, is in fact, a SAHD (and really, we have no idea if he is or isn't as we are not with them 7 days a week.  Jen said last night that filming is usually done in the evenings and weekends), then Will and Zoey are very fortunate to have a parent at home.  I know a few men who would poo-poo the idea of staying at home but most men are enlightened today and realize it is as valuable as having a job outside of the home.  I wish I could have traded with my husband and let him be a SAHD while we were raising our family.  As much as I enjoyed it, I think he had more patience and structure than I.   

• Love 7

My lifelong dream has been to be pathetic and lazy, and I have finally realized it.  Now, if I could just afford a pair of new reading glasses and some decent bon bons ...   :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 13

Sometimes I wonder if I watched the same show as a lot of other people. I thought Jen and Bill were as normal as can be.

One thing I did think I heard was that Kate is there during the day. I thought I heard Bill say "taking over in the evening" when talking about Kate.

Jen for Surgeon General...yes. It can be any physician. I've heard people who have suggested Ben Carson for SJ in the next admin. He's a neurosurgeon.

• Love 7

Just a thought, but I wonder if what Bill is really "over" is filming the show? Or at minimum, filming yet another Q&A episode with the same questions as all the previous ones...

I think both Bill and Jen love being celebrities, so I don't see either of them willingly pulling the plug on the show. My guess is he was tired of answering the same questions or they'd already done multiple takes and he was getting cranky.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

I think both Bill and Jen love being celebrities, so I don't see either of them willingly pulling the plug on the show. My guess is he was tired of answering the same questions or they'd already done multiple takes and he was getting cranky.

Agree and when Will put his head on the pillow and started sucking his thumb he was clearly done in addition to Zoey laying upside down and backwards.  Quite a difference between the 3 year old Hamill twins in their TH's.  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

Agree and when Will put his head on the pillow and started sucking his thumb he was clearly done in addition to Zoey laying upside down and backwards.  Quite a difference between the 3 year old Hamill twins in their TH's.  

Just wondering - how different? Are the Hamill girls able to handle a TH? I've only seen a couple of Our Little Family episodes, and to me the little girls were not very talkative. And when they did speak, I was glad there were subtitles because I couldn't always tell what they were saying. Very cute little munchkins for sure, but IMO, not particularly chatty. On camera at least. I bet they bend their mom's ear plenty when the TLC crew is not around :>)

• Love 2

Just wondering - how different? Are the Hamill girls able to handle a TH? I've only seen a couple of Our Little Family episodes, and to me the little girls were not very talkative. And when they did speak, I was glad there were subtitles because I couldn't always tell what they were saying. Very cute little munchkins for sure, but IMO, not particularly chatty. On camera at least. I bet they bend their mom's ear plenty when the TLC crew is not around :>)

Yes they are more interactive especially with each other.  Sub titles are used for some words as they are for the Kleins often.

• Love 2

Agree and when Will put his head on the pillow and started sucking his thumb he was clearly done in addition to Zoey laying upside down and backwards. Quite a difference between the 3 year old Hamill twins in their TH's.

I hope they called it a day when Will and Zoe were clearly over it, but this is where I think these families cross into the murky area between reality TV and stage parents forcing their kids to perform on cue.

The Duggars started making their youngest children do TH's and it was pretty obvious they were bored and miserable. Some kids have the personality and attention span for show business, some don't. Will and Zoe doing a TH as a one time thing was cute, but I don't think they're ready to do them as a regular part of the show.

• Love 4

One thing that impressed me was Bill and Jen telling Will and Zoey to tell the cameras to go away if they didn't want to be filmed.

Will and Zoey both had a rough start in life and it still shows in some ways. I shudder to think where they would be now had they not been rescued by people who had the love and resources of Bill and Jen

• Love 2

The kids should be telling their PARENTS they do not want to be filmed.

Maybe Will was doing that by drawing on the lens with his crayon which of course Bill laughed about because that is "sweating the small stuff."   And squirting water into the camera telling Jimmy to open the lens so he could do it again and again and no one stops him.  Nothing seems off limits as long as the kids are having FUN!     

• Love 3

Just wondering - how different? Are the Hamill girls able to handle a TH?

In my opinion, not really. They also sometimes seem a wee bit coached for the "adorable" stuff, but as far as speaking, interacting, etc, they're not head and shoulders above WIll and Zoey, or the poor really dim seeming little girls in the Duggar family, or the Gosselin kids when they were 2-4 and doing talking heads.

To be fair, I also don't like very young children but the Hamill girls aren't shining stars either.

Last season, the last show called A Little Q&A, at about 34 minutes in. Jen says the kids have no problem telling to camera to go away. They show one clip with Jen when Will says he doesn't want to be filmed and Jen says tell them to go away. There is a clip of Will coming out of the bathroom. I think the kids love the crew, and for the most part don't mind being filmed. That's all they have known since they got their parents. I do think like all of us there are times when they don't want to be bothered. Jen and Bill have obviously made sure that the kids can always say no. Why would Will have to write on a camera or squirt water? All they have to do is say no.

Edited by xldb2004
  • Love 3

Why would Will have to write on a camera or squirt water? All they have to do is say no.

I agree, Will has no need to write on a camera or squirt water into one.  The "they" saying no to the kids should be their parents in order to teach them respect for someone else's property.  

• Love 2

Things are getting just a tad snippy in here ... posts have been deleted and will continue to be so until there is an understand that snarking on the show is ok, but is not ok for posters.

If you have an issue with a poster, please either take it behind the scenes via PM's or put that person on IGNORE.

Please do NOT point fingers and and play the game of he/she said. 

We are all grown ups here, and stating opinions, even if they disagree with yours, is allowed.

• Love 6

I agree, Will has no need to write on a camera or squirt water into one.  The "they" saying no to the kids should be their parents in order to teach them respect for someone else's property.

It appeared to me, in the flashbacks, that the cameraman was egging Will on with the water "fight", and I am sure he saw Will coming at him with the blue crayon. It's what all little kids do and Bill and Jen corrected Will. I am glad that Will and Zoey can say if they don't want to be filmed doing something....I think that's important.

I really enjoyed this season and hope for another. I just love these kids!!

• Love 7

It appeared to me, in the flashbacks, that the cameraman was egging Will on with the water "fight", and I am sure he saw Will coming at him with the blue crayon. It's what all little kids do and Bill and Jen corrected Will. I am glad that Will and Zoey can say if they don't want to be filmed doing something....I think that's important.

I really enjoyed this season and hope for another. I just love these kids!!

Those professional cameras can take a huge beating. I'm not sure the kids could destroy them. The lens are definitely waterproof. The crayon probably only took a bit of elbow grease, especially if they were the washable kind. The cameras are meant to be in rain/water/outside elements. It looked to me like the cameraman was teasing Will to get a better reaction on camera.

• Love 3

I didn't get the sense that Bill was angry or frustrated in this episode.  And if he was, he could have had a headache or been tired or been snarky for a million and one other reasons.  We all have days when we are not ourselves.  

I really like this family, but I do hope that at some point they move out of the public eye.  I can't think of a single family featured on a reality show that didn't seem to suffer for it.  I would miss watching them, but I want their family to thrive.

I would love to see Dr. Jen as Surgeon General!  She could put her fame to use to publicize important health issues, and she has always impressed me when shown in her role as a doctor.  The simulations she conducts require an incredible eye for detail.  (YMMV, but some of my favorite scenes this year involved watching Jen at work.)

• Love 6
I would love to see Dr. Jen as Surgeon General!  She could put her fame to use to publicize important health issues, and she has always impressed me when shown in her role as a doctor.  The simulations she conducts require an incredible eye for detail.  (YMMV, but some of my favorite scenes this year involved watching Jen at work.)

Those are some of my favorite scenes as well, TVFAN.  I am very impressed with the critical practice that these simulations provide for health care and emergency response professionals.  It is invaluable training that will serve them well in real life situations. 

• Love 6

I think it's quite obvious why Jen and Bill decided to do the series--the answer is the show's title.

The entire premise of the show is that physical challenges can be overcome and you can lead a successful life.

They are far more admirable than the Duggars (ugh), Gosselins, and all the other large families, who have done nothing admirable. They've either procreated A LOT or, because of medical intervention, they had litters of children. Both options were THEIR CHOICE--despite the religious angle they try to promote, God had nothing to do with anything.

Jen and Bill had no choice--their fates were handed to them. They and their parents had to make the best of it.

That Jen and Bill have not only survived, but prevailed... that's amazing. Whatever disagreements I may have with minor details of their lives, it's nothing compared to the admiration I have for them. The show could end tomorrow and they would be fine, unlike the other moochers who have lived off the TLC largesse.

• Love 16

For those who aren't aware, this site has a STRICT no politics rule. Don't even cough about it being an election year. There are a million other places to go talk about that mess on the Internet.

This topic has gone completely off the rails. I normally allow a small amount of OT banter, but you guys seem incapable of doing so without getting petty and personal. Either discuss the episode or I'll be forced to lock this.

• Love 2

I have never understood why Jen and Bill chose to display their lives on TV. They are both educated, highly skilled people and do not need the money.

I see why people like the Duggars, Browns, Bateses, and Gosselins made the choice to do a reality show. They have very larges families to support. Some of the adults have skills and education, but none of them have the earning power that Jen has.

For Jen and Bill, I think that the bad far out weighs the good.

To educate people about their physical disability, and also show that physical obstacles can be overcome.

I don't think being a SAHD is a bad thing. But publicly admitting it when you still may want to get investors for various entrepreneurial ideas may not be the best course of action for Bill. It's not smart for him to announce he's hands off with his business because he's doing dad duty most of the time.

I think Bill loves being a SAHD.......he couldn't appear any happier. Would you say the same thing if Jen stayed home?

I think Bill loves being a SAHD.......he couldn't appear any happier. Would you say the same thing if Jen stayed home?

Bill's father and brother were New York firemen. After watching 9/11 coverage, yes, I personally perceive men from New York as very manly and proud. I consider this statement as a compliment to the men of New York.

The point that I was trying to make is that it might be difficult for a man with Bill's background to have to give up his business for his wife. Especially when that wasn't the agreement that they had when they entered the marriage.

All couple's lives change when they have children. Bill is no less of a man because he is caring for his children. That's quite sexist.

I think it's quite obvious why Jen and Bill decided to do the series--the answer is the show's title.

The entire premise of the show is that physical challenges can be overcome and you can lead a successful life.

They are far more admirable than the Duggars (ugh), Gosselins, and all the other large families, who have done nothing admirable. They've either procreated A LOT or, because of medical intervention, they had litters of children. Both options were THEIR CHOICE--despite the religious angle they try to promote, God had nothing to do with anything.

Jen and Bill had no choice--their fates were handed to them. They and their parents had to make the best of it.

That Jen and Bill have not only survived, but prevailed... that's amazing. Whatever disagreements I may have with minor details of their lives, it's nothing compared to the admiration I have for them. The show could end tomorrow and they would be fine, unlike the other moochers who have lived off the TLC largesse.

Perfectly stated!!!

• Love 7

In your opinion, and hopefully in Bill's opinion. I agree with BitterApple. At this point some people are enlightened, and others aren't regarding SAHDs. We have no idea how Bill, his family, or Jen's family feels about him being a SAHD.

ETA: My personal opinion of a 40 year old person who chooses to sit home and read novels and eat bon bons, whether male or female, is that they are pathetic and lazy.

I think it's sexist and sad to think less of Bill for caring for his children. He certainly is not lazy and seems to have the support of his friends and family. I'm sure Bill could care less what people think of his choices.....just as I don't give a crap if people think I'm lazy and pathetic....since I don't work and my kids are grown. Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 11

When the show began IIRC Bill continued his entrepreneurship from home, occasionally flying back to NY. Do we know he isn't doing that now while the children are in school? My neighbors are engineers with two grade-school-age children. She goes to an office and frequently travels for her job. He works by modem from home. They had a nanny when the children were little. Although he's available for doctor's appointments, etc. I don't even think of him as a SAHD. I think of him as an engineer and quite sufficiently manly. Couldn't Bill be doing the same but they just don't mention it?

• Love 5

When the show began IIRC Bill continued his entrepreneurship from home, occasionally flying back to NY. Do we know he isn't doing that now while the children are in school? My neighbors are engineers with two grade-school-age children. She goes to an office and frequently travels for her job. He works by modem from home. They had a nanny when the children were little. Although he's available for doctor's appointments, etc. I don't even think of him as a SAHD. I think of him as an engineer and quite sufficiently manly. Couldn't Bill be doing the same but they just don't mention it?

I'm pretty sure he sold his part of the New York company a few years ago. He's completely based in Houston now. I guess there could be a third company that we've heard absolutely nothing about.

Both children are not in school at this time. Zoey only goes for half a day - and I'm not sure that she goes 5 days a week.Then there are after-school activities, dance, swimming lessons, and the inevitable doctors's appointments.

When the children are this young, it's great that one parent is available during the day. At the preschool where I worked, parents are constantly called to pick up sick children and bring them home; if they have a fever they can't come back for at least 24 hours. Of course parents can and do make this work with the help of relatives and babysitters, but if Bill is available why shouldn't he be there for his kids?

• Love 8

Bill seems to love being with his kids and taking care of them. It's a lot of work to monitor two small active kids so close in age, so if Bill ever looks fatigued I wouldn't blame him.

Because of Zoey and Bill's backgrounds, I think Jen and Bill have been careful about not introducing too many caregivers for their kids. It seems like Jen's parents and Kate have been the primary substitutes. We don't know for sure, of course, if there have been others.

Zoey and Will don't seem to fear strange adults so that tells me that they have bonded well with their parents and are confident of their love.

When the kids were talking to the cameras they were forthcoming and at ease. It's really remarkable how far they have come. I keep thinking of the picture of Will when he was first brought to the orphanage...he barely looked alive.

And Zoey is like a different child.

• Love 8

Bill seems to love being with his kids and taking care of them. It's a lot of work to monitor two small active kids so close in age, so if Bill ever looks fatigued I wouldn't blame him.

Because of Zoey and Bill's backgrounds, I think Jen and Bill have been careful about not introducing too many caregivers for their kids. It seems like Jen's parents and Kate have been the primary substitutes. We don't know for sure, of course, if there have been others.

Zoey and Will don't seem to fear strange adults so that tells me that they have bonded well with their parents and are confident of their love.

When the kids were talking to the cameras they were forthcoming and at ease. It's really remarkable how far they have come. I keep thinking of the picture of Will when he was first brought to the orphanage...he barely looked alive.

Besides Kate & Jen's parents, I remember Jen's Aunt Barbara (the kids' great aunt) took care of Will in their hotel room while Bill & Jen went to the (fancy) hotel restaurant for dinner 1 night, during the first trip Jen, Bill, & Will took to Florida after they brought Will home from China (it was in 1 of the episodes). Various relatives on Bill's side of the family have probably taken care of the kids too, though we haven't seen it on the show yet.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure he sold his part of the New York company a few years ago. He's completely based in Houston now. I guess there could be a third company that we've heard absolutely nothing about.

Oh, I agree about selling the NY business. I just meant he's already accustomed to conducting business from home. 

• Love 1

For those who aren't aware, this site has a STRICT no politics rule. Don't even cough about it being an election year. There are a million other places to go talk about that mess on the Internet.

This topic has gone completely off the rails. I normally allow a small amount of OT banter, but you guys seem incapable of doing so without getting petty and personal. Either discuss the episode or I'll be forced to lock this.

Personally I had no clue that this was a no-politics site, so a sincere thanks for the heads-up...

Although I agree that Will & Zoey seem to be well-bonded with Bill & Jen - like most former orphans, they don't fear most unfamiliar adults [santa Claus excepted] because they were institutionalized, and have been accustomed from a very early age to having many different adults in and out of their daily lives. Whereas a lot of young never-orphaned kids who are also bonded with their parents still tend to scream bloody murder, especially at certain developmental stages, when strange adults come near them.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1