Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: A Little 4-1-1

• Start Topic

Golly gumdrops, that Will is a hoot!  "Gum is sticky".  Takes after his dad, I think.

I think it's nice that they have high hopes for the kids and their futures than include expectations that they will catch up and track normally through their education.  And I could really see Jen as the Surgeon General!

Sad to hear about the bullying they endured.  It must be so hard to know that your kids will have to face that.  But having gone through it, at least Bill and Jen will be able to help get them through it.  Bill always seems to be very matter of fact when he talks about it.

• Love 5
(edited)

I LOVE their house. The Tiffany blue would drive me nuts, but besides that I wouldn't change a thing (from what we've seen).

Will is a fan of gum. I love it.

Give me an hour of just Will and Zoey answering questions in the chairs.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 7

Seeing Zoey in recent flashbacks made me appreciate her cute hairdo even more. She has thick wavy hair and it overpowered her adorable face. Now we can see her facial expressions and her eyes.

• Love 4

Seeing Zoey in recent flashbacks made me appreciate her cute hairdo even more. She has thick wavy hair and it overpowered her adorable face. Now we can see her facial expressions and her eyes.

I agree - i wasn't a fan when she started going really short but it suits her so much better!  And the short and bleach blonde was just not good either.  The dark is a lot better.

And now we know why Zoey and Will don't get to do TH's lol   They don't seem to have the best attention span yet.

It was cute to have them in at the end though.

Interesting that Will would remembered when he was adopted and that he didn't want to go with them.  My cousin adopted a boy of similar age and once in awhile he will tell her so many memories of before he was adopted that happened years ago (and not good stuff).  It's amazing they remember that stuff.  My nephews can't hardly remember anything from last year lol

• Love 1
(edited)

Interesting that Will would remembered when he was adopted and that he didn't want to go with them.

Just a guess, but I would bet Will has also seen the video of Jen & Bill coming to pick him up and his reactions. 

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 3

Agree - I think Zoey is even cuter with shorter hair. Her face and eyes just pop - much more than before. Too much hair overpowers anyone's face. The great Coco Chanel said that no woman past the age of 30 should have hair longer than chin-length, and I think Coco was spot-on right in this regard. Plus it is SO much easier to care for.

kids are adorable, seem well adjusted, love that they are becoming more vocal and you can understand most of what they say....wish Bill hadn't appeared to be "over it" before the interviewing started, IMO.

Thank you! I was picking up a bit of attitude from Bill too, but as always I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. In the end though, he came off to me as grumpy and your phrase "over it" is just about perfect. All that Mr Mom time at home may be weakening Bill's people skills and couth. Jen was professional and gracious throughout the whole program, as usual.

• Love 2

I think Bill's problem is he feels the need to be "on" all.the.time. Jen just answers questions simply and succinctly without adding any superfluous humor. Honestly, I can see where his personality might grate after a while.

I thought Jen's hair and makeup looked really pretty last night. I like the light brown color with the blonde highlights, it's much more flattering to her complexion.

• Love 3

Jen's answers were far better than Bill's usual bs. I did not like Bill's dismissive attitude about her future health related goals.Of course she is concerned about her mobility and fingers crossed her cancer does not return. He better pray they both have good health because they have very young children.

• Love 4
(edited)

I also thought Bill's comments on bullying and staring were very thoughtful.

I've also had back surgery, so like Bill, I ask for lots of back rubs.

Jen's energy level puts me to shame.

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 3

Jen's answers were far better than Bill's usual bs. I did not like Bill's dismissive attitude about her future health related goals.

It just appeared to me he kept undermining her answers, making her second guess what she was saying . I enjoy the show, he just grated on a nerve last night.

• Love 3

It just appeared to me he kept undermining her answers, making her second guess what she was saying . I enjoy the show, he just grated on a nerve last night.

He did it especially with questions concerning the kids. If Jen said "no, the kids don't talk or ask questions about x/y/z, Bill would immediately jump in and say "yes, they have." I felt bad for Jen because it gave the impression she doesn't know her own children. She's already talked about having Working Mom guilt, so there really wasn't any reason to keep piling it on.

• Love 3

I agree - i wasn't a fan when she started going really short but it suits her so much better!  And the short and bleach blonde was just not good either.  The dark is a lot better.

Growing up we were never allowed to have our hair cut, although I'm grown now and cut my hair to my liking, when they went in and cut all her hair off it saddened me. I was thinking how cute this little doll would be with her long black hair....but it suits her too.a.tee!! She is adorable. Jen's dark hair and makeup looks much better on the darker scale also, IMO. 

Maybe it was just me, but I did find it a little odd that nothing at all was mentioned about another season. I was looking for a clue on whether they intend to continue with the show. Maybe they've never touched on this when wrapping up a season in the past, I can't recall. On the one hand, it seems like a very good time to stop - what with the kids being older and busier, better able to communicate, hearing things from school friends etc. On the other hand, any physician gunning for Surgeon General might consider remaining in the public eye as an asset [whether it really would be or not]. It's always been my understanding that the Surgeon General is an MD with a specialty in public health - usually at least. Which makes me wonder how serious Jen really is about it? Could it have been just a quip on her part? She's clearly an ambitious person but I don't quite see her enjoying herself as SG. Unless she really likes public speaking more than she shows.

• Love 3

I don't think we ever know at the end of each season if they plan to do another one.  I think they just kinda show up out of no where. 

I didn't really see Bill acting any different but if he did, I'm sure there are a ton of reasons why he could have been.  Maybe his back was hurting.  Maybe it was a really freaking long time to sit in a chair and read and answer questions.  Maybe he was just really tired.   who knows.  we all have our off days. 

• Love 5

Will answering the favorite food question made me laugh.  He was so earnest while explaining his choice!  Zoey was more interested in fighting with the pillow, but then she is so young that her attention span is milliseconds.

While the Surgeon General is the operational head of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, I'm not sure that work in public health is a requirement.  C Everett Koop, for example, was a pediatric surgeon.  I think Jen would be great in that job.  She is an established expert in both sim technology and neonatal issues and is an accomplished speaker.  And I would love to see her in the uniform!

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree and I felt something was off between them last night.  Bill usually sits back and lets her be the star, praising her endlessly, the "my wife" references but this time he came in like a different man taking charge, correcting her on the "do the kids ask about adoption?" and her reply to the 5 year question.  He cut her off at the knees for her gloomy answer which was the total opposite of his usual "I bow to thee" adorations.  Wondering if the Mr. Mom thing isn't floating his manly boat anymore.

And I thought it odd Jen did not use Kate's name but instead referred to her as a nanny who comes in through the day and showing her with the kids but not saying her name.  We have known Kate on the show for God's sake, why now is she just part of the background?

So we know Jen has OCD and glad she is admitting to it with the excessive wiping and cleaning but the implication was she works full time, looks after nightly routines and then is up cleaning til 2am sometimes....really??  Is the film crew there filming that too with her dressed to the nines in full makeup and hair..phoney baloney!  And that film of her was pre cancer with her hair like that.

One thing about having the kids in their first TH is showing how truly young they are.  You could see someone prodded Will to say "stupid and idiot" when he commented Dad sometimes uses bad words when driving!  Will and that thumb sucking, wow!  Having him in a TH with him facing the camera where we can see him speaking a lot highlighted a very predominant lisp so I have to assume he is still in speech therapy.  

So we finally know Jen's goal!  SURGEON GENERAL! 

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

I can understand being uncomfortable about staring when they were younger, but I didn't like that they kept showing videos of them being stared at and photographed as if the issue were their little person status. Obviously I can't say for certain, and they only have the staring on camera when they have the camera crew, but if I'm being honest I'd probably stare at people being followed around by a camera crew too, no matter what they looked like. Most likely I'd spend some time trying to figure out if I recognized them and then maybe taking a pic because it is so neat to see a 'celebrity' doing regular things. (I confess I did once take an 'over the shoulder' selfie of the guy who plays Gerry Gergich on Parks & Recreation at a Red Robin once because I loved that show otherwise I mostly leave them be when I've seen them.)  

• Love 4
(edited)

I can understand being uncomfortable about staring when they were younger, but I didn't like that they kept showing videos of them being stared at and photographed as if the issue were their little person status. Obviously I can't say for certain, and they only have the staring on camera when they have the camera crew, but if I'm being honest I'd probably stare at people being followed around by a camera crew too, no matter what they looked like. Most likely I'd spend some time trying to figure out if I recognized them and then maybe taking a pic because it is so neat to see a 'celebrity' doing regular things. (I confess I did once take an 'over the shoulder' selfie of the guy who plays Gerry Gergich on Parks & Recreation at a Red Robin once because I loved that show otherwise I mostly leave them be when I've seen them.)  

Dead on!  If I saw anyone being filmed with an entourage like the scene they showed in New Orleans and Bill turning to give "side eye death stare" to someone who is simply wondering WTF is happening and who is being filmed!   Bill not only flatters himself that it is all about him and everyone knows him and family with a gentle reminder not everyone watches this show as noted by the ratings posted above.  The Hamills responded the same way thinking everyone was looking at them instead of the film crew and wondering what was happening.  

• Love 2

Wondering if the Mr. Mom thing isn't floating his manly boat anymore.

I think being a SAHD is starting to become emasculating and dare I say it, a little boring for Bill. Don't get me wrong, the kids are great, but when guys get together they don't really talk about potty training and time outs, they're more career and accomplishment focused. He has the pet store, but everyone knows that isn't the family's lifeline, it's Jen's job and TLC money that pays the mortgage.

• Love 3
(edited)

I also would have loved to be a fly on the wall during their "post mortems" about disciplining the kids when they were not supportive of each other or even on the same page.  Bill has finally realized kids require no as much as they require yes.  

• Love 3

I didn't see Will's hesitation as being prodded by someone to say certain words. I thought he was being hesitant and looking over at his parents to see if he would get in trouble for saying "bad" words. Because earlier in the season we saw Jen scold him for saying "stupid" and her telling him that he shouldn't say that word because it's bad.

I loved hearing Bill bust out in laughter in the background when Will ratted him out about saying bad words.

• Love 6

I thought it was unusual, odd that they seemed to be showing a lot of clips from older shows. The clip of Bill on stage at comedy night was like from 2009 when i looked it up. And other clips not from this season. Not that they had to be, but one would think that a season finale would highlight stuff from the current season. I hope this is the last. The kids are on the right path and it is time to get rid of the cameras. Bill is full of crap. That whole little performance about denying they staged things was just nonsense. No one is going to convince me that he was driving around with the kids and decided to drop by a tattoo parlor. That is just laughable. Except he is not really funny, he tries too hard. His twitter account says he is an entrepreneur and inventor. Of what?  I agree with other posters that the Mr Mom thing is not working for him like it used to.

• Love 2

While the Surgeon General is the operational head of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, I'm not sure that work in public health is a requirement.  C Everett Koop, for example, was a pediatric surgeon.  I think Jen would be great in that job.  She is an established expert in both sim technology and neonatal issues and is an accomplished speaker.  And I would love to see her in the uniform!

OMG, that would be so cool to see her in a little tiny surgeon general's uniform. And I think she would be progressive and excellent. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 3

What a great episode!  Bill and Jen have such a strong relationship and a wonderful family.  Will and Zoey are having the time of their lives--living and learning and experiencing so many new things.  I somewhat hesitate to admit this, but I don't possess that enviable and mystical gift of knowing what Bill and Jen are thinking or feeling, but I can see a respectful and loving couple who are making a huge difference in the lives of their two children.  

Cuteness overload when Will said Zoey is "from India...and Earth."  And when Zoey was asked what was her favorite dog and she said "horsey."   

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 8

I have suspected for awhile that Bill and Jen no longer employed Kate. Kate's resume when she first started was one of a full-time Nanny with an emphasis on early childhood development. Will & Zoey are in school now, so they would only need her for a few hours in the evening. The last time we saw her was the Pet Show which was back in the summer before Zoey started full-time preschool.

Coupled with Bill's seeming annoyance at playing Mr. Mom, I think that he's likely the primary caretaker and that they may only have a babysitter a few evenings a month. Pretending that they still have a nanny keeps the pressure off of Bill having to admit he's a SAHD on camera.

• Love 3

My perception of men from New York is that they are very manly and proud. It will be interesting to see if the lifestyle that Jen forced on Bill will eventually take a toll on the marriage.

I don't know exactly what that means but yes, New York men are manly, proud, and love their families. Just like men everywhere, I hope.

• Love 4

I thought it was unusual, odd that they seemed to be showing a lot of clips from older shows. The clip of Bill on stage at comedy night was like from 2009 when i looked it up. And other clips not from this season. Not that they had to be, but one would think that a season finale would highlight stuff from the current season. I hope this is the last. The kids are on the right path and it is time to get rid of the cameras. Bill is full of crap. That whole little performance about denying they staged things was just nonsense. No one is going to convince me that he was driving around with the kids and decided to drop by a tattoo parlor. That is just laughable. Except he is not really funny, he tries too hard. His twitter account says he is an entrepreneur and inventor. Of what?  I agree with other posters that the Mr Mom thing is not working for him like it used to.

I agree. At least I think I do. Now that he's not in crippling pain and can get around much better, I do think Bill is really finding the Mr Mom routine stifling or just plain dull. I'm guessing his days are spent doing some pet shop doings and housework - and maybe not much else. Maybe he manages Jen's speaking engagements too. He's probably really antsy to get out of the house whenever he can. The nosey old lady in me would LOVE to know the details of the whole Dave-and-Judy-go-back-to-Florida situation. Is there more to this? It does seem likely, although they certainly aren't obliged to tell us. But it was only - what?  2011 or 2012? Jen's parents packed up and left Florida for Houston, preparatory to Grandkids and the pet shop.  It sounded like Judy was going to run the shop for the most part, and that Dave and Bill would be working on bigger things. Now that's over, Dave and Judy are heading back to Florida, and there's maybe no FT Kate around either? These are significant changes, and there's usually reasons for significant changes.

• Love 2

We see Kate in the episode where the family does the photo shoot. She is in the scene where Jen is telling the kids that they are going, she gets the kids out of the house, and you can see her at the shoot. One thing I've noticed about Kate, she seems for the most part to stay out of camera range.

• Love 4

I have suspected for awhile that Bill and Jen no longer employed Kate. Kate's resume when she first started was one of a full-time Nanny with an emphasis on early childhood development. Will & Zoey are in school now, so they would only need her for a few hours in the evening. The last time we saw her was the Pet Show which was back in the summer before Zoey started full-time preschool.

Coupled with Bill's seeming annoyance at playing Mr. Mom, I think that he's likely the primary caretaker and that they may only have a babysitter a few evenings a month. Pretending that they still have a nanny keeps the pressure off of Bill having to admit he's a SAHD on camera.

I am not sure Kate was at the pet show as an employee even though Zoey was shown sitting on her lap.  Zoey adores Kate because that is who she bonded with first when she left the orphanage so it was natural to see her on her lap.  Kate appeared to be there with a date.    

There's nothing stopping Bill from getting a job outside of the home. Many couples with children both work. Bill lost a couple of years because of his back. Now that he's better, I think he would be happier if he found an interest for himself beyond his family.

Bill has a degree and was quite successful in the business world before he moved to Houston. I'm sure that he could find an interesting and challenging job. He doesn't have to settle for running a family owned pet store. It's a waste of his skills.

I'm sure it has something to do with the TV show. Jen said they were filming on nights and weekends now, which is expanded from what they used to do. If the crew wants to film the kids between 3p-6p, one of the parents has to be there. It makes sense in their family that the parent in charge is Bill.

Once they stop filming altogether, I think Bill would go back to work full-time. I don't really see filming completely stopping though anytime soon. I think they'll continue to film until Will hits middle school, even if the seasons don't fit TLC's traditional broadcast window.

• Love 1

I think being a SAHD is starting to become emasculating and dare I say it, a little boring for Bill. Don't get me wrong, the kids are great, but when guys get together they don't really talk about potty training and time outs, they're more career and accomplishment focused. He has the pet store, but everyone knows that isn't the family's lifeline, it's Jen's job and TLC money that pays the mortgage.

That's quite the assumptions you are making.

• Love 9

I've always thought Bill was funny but he was really piling on the wisecracks and it was wearing thin, IMO.

Also, Jen speaks and then she looks at Bill as if to say, did I sound okay? And the other night he would disagree or contradict her, and she gave her nervous laugh. No big deal, but I wanted to say to her, You're an accomplished woman, you don't have to run things past your husband.

• Love 2

I've always thought Bill was funny but he was really piling on the wisecracks and it was wearing thin, IMO.

Also, Jen speaks and then she looks at Bill as if to say, did I sound okay? And the other night he would disagree or contradict her, and she gave her nervous laugh. No big deal, but I wanted to say to her, You're an accomplished woman, you don't have to run things past your husband.

Exactly!  I felt tension between Jen and Bill during this Q&A.  She was being very careful and her Woody Woodpecker laugh comes out when she is nervous.  He came across aggressive like "don't push me!"   He even made fun of her saying oy a vey and took pleasure in correcting her.  

"OY VEY"  What's up Bill??

That would be very sad if Bill's life is reduced to sitting home alone so that TL C could film the children when they get home from school. It doesn't sound like much of a life for a young, successful, man to me.

Lets be clear here.

Bill is not a slave. TLC does not own him. Neither does Jen. If he is unhappy with his life - which is unknown to us - he has the power to change the life he leads. He does not *have to* sit at home as a stay at home dad. Jen does not and can not force him to stay at home. If Bill is making life choices that make him unhappy, thats all on Bill, because Bill is the one ultimately in control of Bill's choice. Not TLC. And not Jen.

• Love 15

That's quite the assumptions you are making.

It's a forum, we're allowed to assume. In fairness every comment on here, good or bad, is an assumption because none of us lives in their house. We watch the show and form an opinion, it's all speculation either way.

• Love 7

I enjoyed the Q&A episode. Thought Bill was his usual humorous self. I will miss watching this sweet family each week. All the other crap on TV wears me out.

The kids really are happy and their joy is contagious in my living room. Each episode leaves me in stitches.

Hope they return...!

• Love 9

I agree, unless contractual obligations with TL C make it impossible to make a change. If not, if Bill is unhappy, it's up to him to make changes that would bring him happiness.

He's a grown man who signed the contract. We all make life choices that don't work out. If he's unhappy because of something he contractually obligated himself to, he still is a grown man who made the decision to sign the contract Jen can't make him, and he's not mentally incompetant.

There's not really any evidence that Bill is unhappy.

• Love 5