Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E16: Hearing

Wow, I never thought I would say this, but fuck Diane. The only reason there's a firm to try to take over is because Cary had the idea and the plan to start one in S5, which Diane then joined when her own firm imploded. And fuck Alicia for her weak-ass defense of him, after he JUST rescued her from her legal/financial ruin like two weeks ago.

At this point, the only way I will be happy with the series finale is if Cary ousts both of them to take complete control of the firm. Or he leaves corporate law behind to go back to the Innocence Project (and becomes the center of a spinoff).

Alicia and Jason have less than zero chemistry. They're cringeworthy. I've been watching old episodes, and it's striking compared to JM's chemistry with Chris Noth and Josh Charles.

I can't get worked up over the law firm shenanigans myself since it's all silly and poorly written (dating back to last season). If I did, I would probably throw in a fuck you to Cary as well. The character has been acting pretty silly to play along with David Lee on his paranoia and basically work against Diane and Alicia now.

I think Alicia and Jason have chemistry but it was better before they consummated the relationship. Like pretty much all TV affairs, it's more exciting when it's a will they/won't they situation. Happy relationships without much conflict are less fun. I remember some viewers being bored with Alicia and Will's relationship once they got together (in season 3?).

• Love 2

That made no sense (same with the theory that the defendant's illegitimate dad was a big donor) because . . . Peter was the prosecutor. If he wanted, couldn't he have had the case dismissed outright or sandbagged it a hundred different ways that didn't involve paying for pricy defense attorneys? Whatever, I'm sure Peter did something horrible that has nothing to do with Alicia so the audience cheers when she leaves him for Jason. Although didn't the Kings forget about Eli? If Peter did something and Eli, campaign supermanager, doesn't know about it, doesn't it make clever, scheming, Eli look kind of stupid? We already know Peter stole the SA election for Alicia without Eli knowing, at a certain point it's going to get harder and harder to keep seeing Eli as the brilliant manipulator everyone keeps saying he is.

The other two things that bugged me were the scenes in the courtroom, and the fact that the Random Characterization Generator ended up on "Diane likes Alicia" this week. When they showed the voices of Conor and Hlavin cutting in and out and getting louder snd softer, it drove me absolutely insane because I had to turn the volume of my computer all the way up and rewind those scenes a million times so I could hear everything, and I hate doing that. Why make it hard for me to watch your show, assholes? I'm sure they thought it was some clever stylistic trick, but all it does is take me out of the action and remind me I'm watching a show.

And wasn't it literally last episode where Diane was mad at Alicia and lecturing her like a stupid child? Didn't she resist having Alicia come back to the firm in the first place and Cary had to practically go over her head? Now she wants to start a firm with Alicia? That makes zero sense, even if you assume a woman's only firm would be something people actually do, which it isn't.

Still place-setting. We still don't know what Peter did, except that it somehow involves Shackowsky, Ruth, Peter's donor, and the damn NSA. The more they drag out the reveal, the harder it is not to disappoint the audience if it doesn't live up to the hype.

I don't understand. Why wouldn't the defendant use a pricey attorney if his family came from money? How does that preclude Peter abusing his power to help out a campaign donor? Also we've seen that Eli and the campaign don't know everything that Peter does. Peter has been capable of doing shady things all on his own.

I thought the stylistic courtroom stuff was cool.

It was literally two episodes ago when Diane and Alicia had that other conversation. I agree that this storyline is silly. Though the all-women firm thing does happen in real life. Not uncommon in law firms or many other industries. It's partly a branding/marketing strategy to differentiate the firms from others on the street.

I think the idea of the stylistic courtroom stuff was interesting, but the execution was super-annoying to me as a viewer.  I couldn't hear a damn thing with all the echoing and overlapping, so basically I couldn't hear half the episode.  That isn't fun or entertaining.  And it was never-ending.

• Love 4

That was the point. We were hearing what Eli was hearing through the air duct. He then guessed some things, made assumptions and drew conclusions on incomplete information, as were were supposed to do as viewers.

• Love 4

I don't understand. Why wouldn't the defendant use a pricey attorney if his family came from money? How does that preclude Peter abusing his power to help out a campaign donor? Also we've seen that Eli and the campaign don't know everything that Peter does. Peter has been capable of doing shady things all on his own.

I thought the stylistic courtroom stuff was cool.

It was literally two episodes ago when Diane and Alicia had that other conversation. I agree that this storyline is silly. Though the all-women firm thing does happen in real life. Not uncommon in law firms or many other industries. It's partly a branding/marketing strategy to differentiate the firms from others on the street.

Cary said the defendant was working-class but had high-priced lawyers, and looking back on it it was weird. We still don't know what any of this has to do with Peter or his donor because the show is draaaaaging it out. But the speculation is Peter's donor secretly paid for his illegitimate son to have good representation (which, so what, it's only an issue if Peter as SA tanked the trial), and what any of this has to do with the AUSA or the NSA, or why Ruth or Alicia would be involved, is beyond me. 

The all-woman firm thing still feels false to me. It's one thing to do that as a start-up, but going from a big, established "Goliath" firm with a long reputation to a plucky upstart "David" firm doesn't make sense. I could see the show desperately trying to spin it ("It's a business decision! Not some dumb pseudofeminist statement!") but it's still dumb. Why would any man join a firm as an associate when he'd know he'd never make partner because he has the wrong genitals? What clients would care if the partners were only women. If anything, that would make it harder to attract clients. You're branding yourself as the law firm version of "Women and Women First" from "Portlandia", hardly the image one of the most successful lawyers in the city wants. 

• Love 1

I think the idea of the stylistic courtroom stuff was interesting, but the execution was super-annoying to me as a viewer.  I couldn't hear a damn thing with all the echoing and overlapping, so basically I couldn't hear half the episode.  That isn't fun or entertaining.  And it was never-ending.

I know--and his character was hearing it a lot more clearly than we were at home, at least through my TV's speakers that aren't the best. We missed even more of whatever was going on as Mr MML and I kept asking each other what was being said, therefore missing the next thing that was echoing around in Eli's brain, I guess. Thanks for trying to be cool, Show--maybe a minute or two would suffice, like in a book where the characters have a heavy dialect, we really just need to read that the first couple of sentences and then we get it and the author stops the phonetic dialog. Sheesh.

• Love 3
Alicia is terribly mysterious - with politicians, murderers, and any man (or woman) within a 10-ft radius becoming so enchanted by this brunette enigma that they all want to be a part of her world. I've never felt they've shown us why we should believe this, but they get an "A" for insistence I guess.

Perhaps it was the Executive Producer's suggestion.

• Love 5

That was the point. We were hearing what Eli was hearing through the air duct. He then guessed some things, made assumptions and drew conclusions on incomplete information, as were were supposed to do as viewers.

But I heard nothing. I made no assumptions and drew no conclusions because I could not understand a single word being said.  The audio was terrible.  And thus, boring and frustrating.

• Love 4

But I heard nothing. I made no assumptions and drew no conclusions because I could not understand a single word being said.  The audio was terrible.  And thus, boring and frustrating.

Exactly. We all know why it was done, but that doesn't make it any more interesting to watch. It was frustrating and overdone. They could have shown Eli struggling to hear it and still let us know what the heck was being said!

• Love 2
(edited)

I completely agree. It wasn't clever. TV shouldn't stimulate the effects of buffering. It should be an immersive experience where we forget we're watching TV. I shouldn't have to pause and rewind half a dozen times. 

I know I'm the one always saying that TV is TV and doesn't have to be realistic if that means sacrificing drama (like I don't care about Alicia's wig) but the TV-cliche they did this week that always bugs me was when Jason and Alicia were eating junk food during their sex weekend. People who look like Alicia and Jason don't eat like that. And no one eats bagels in 2016 either. 

Edited by Tetraneutron
  • Love 7

I don't know why the producers decided to pay for a guest appearance by Dallas Roberts if he was gong to spend the whole episode doing little more than follow Veronica around.

Well, the writers had to make sure we knew that Owen has no life just one last time. 

I wonder who else they'll drag out before its over just to make us feel sadness.

• Love 1
The character has been acting pretty silly to play along with David Lee on his paranoia and basically work against Diane and Alicia now.

It's not paranoia if your suspicions are correct. Diane IS planning a female-led firm and planning to betray Cary. Which, fuck you, Diane. Who the hell thinks a "female-led firm" is even a good idea? If I were a client, I'd pick the best firm period, not one that chose to craft its entire existence on silly identity politics. I'm a woman, and I'd probably run from a female-led firm.

I know I'm supposed to think that the quirky shit is cute

This sentence could be applied to something in every single episode of this festering turd of a show.

• Love 4
(edited)

It's not paranoia if your suspicions are correct. Diane IS planning a female-led firm and planning to betray Cary. Which, fuck you, Diane. Who the hell thinks a "female-led firm" is even a good idea? If I were a client, I'd pick the best firm period, not one that chose to craft its entire existence on silly identity politics. I'm a woman, and I'd probably run from a female-led firm.

Especially if the name partners are so loyal people. Because bewteen Diane, (who was ready to jump ship in season 2, not so unwilliing to screw Will over in season 4 to get that judgeship, ready to jump ship again when Will died, and once again not so unwilling to screw Cary over right now) and Alicia, who backstabbed Will ( the man who hired AND loved her) and who doesn't seem so unwilling to screw Cary over (the man who hired her back few weeks ago saving her from her debts AND who's also a friend), that's going to be the biggest "backstabbers-led-firm"in Chicago.  Good luck, Alicia and Diane.

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Love 5

Cary said the defendant was working-class but had high-priced lawyers, and looking back on it it was weird. We still don't know what any of this has to do with Peter or his donor because the show is draaaaaging it out. But the speculation is Peter's donor secretly paid for his illegitimate son to have good representation (which, so what, it's only an issue if Peter as SA tanked the trial), and what any of this has to do with the AUSA or the NSA, or why Ruth or Alicia would be involved, is beyond me. 

The all-woman firm thing still feels false to me. It's one thing to do that as a start-up, but going from a big, established "Goliath" firm with a long reputation to a plucky upstart "David" firm doesn't make sense. I could see the show desperately trying to spin it ("It's a business decision! Not some dumb pseudofeminist statement!") but it's still dumb. Why would any man join a firm as an associate when he'd know he'd never make partner because he has the wrong genitals? What clients would care if the partners were only women. If anything, that would make it harder to attract clients. You're branding yourself as the law firm version of "Women and Women First" from "Portlandia", hardly the image one of the most successful lawyers in the city wants. 

There are too few details on the Peter investigation, but a potential campaign donation scandal (based on the FBI hints) + a defendant with a working-class background who oddly has an expensive legal defense team + the name of an actual large campaign donor....what could it mean?  

The all-women business thing happens in real life.  It appeals to a certain client base.  I agree it doesn't make sense now to rebrand a very large law firm (the 3rd biggest in Chicago?) that way but when Diane first mentioned it to Alicia a season or so ago (I think after Will's death and maybe because David Lee and Canning were trying to push her out? - I don't remember all the details), it made sense at that time.  Diane wanted to basically spin off her own small law firm with Alicia and maybe a couple of others (women/minorities).  

I completely agree. It wasn't clever. TV shouldn't stimulate the effects of buffering. It should be an immersive experience where we forget we're watching TV. I shouldn't have to pause and rewind half a dozen times. 

I know I'm the one always saying that TV is TV and doesn't have to be realistic if that means sacrificing drama (like I don't care about Alicia's wig) but the TV-cliche they did this week that always bugs me was when Jason and Alicia were eating junk food during their sex weekend. People who look like Alicia and Jason don't eat like that. And no one eats bagels in 2016 either. 

The Good Wife takes some risks and this particular one works for me.  I didn't catch everything but it wasn't necessary to catch everything to understand the storyline and the clues Eli was hearing.  He repeated them to Alicia and the Tascioni guy.

I don't think those are really TV cliches.  There are people who do look like Alicia and Jason and eat junk food.  They usually are also somewhat physically active. And the bagel thing...maybe there are regional differences, but where I am, people always used to and still do eat bagels.  

Well, as I said, I think the storyline is a poorly written one.  But the way the show is telling it, Diane didn't come up with that plan until after she saw Cary and David Lee conspiring.  So fuck them all.  Including Cary.

• Love 1

Yes. I hear "women-led firm" and I think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FPFUrXbQgc Also, what happened to David Lee embezzling? The show just dropped that. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Even the dog has to be quirky. Poor dog. 

The more I see of Michael Tascioni, the more I wonder why he and Elspeth ever split up. Because as far as I can see, those two are perfect for each other.

Practically the same person, actually.

Edited by TVForever
  • Love 7

Well, as I said, I think the storyline is a poorly written one.  But the way the show is telling it, Diane didn't come up with that plan until after she saw Cary and David Lee conspiring.  So fuck them all.  Including Cary.

That's because she never had partners "conspiring" around her and never was one of those conspirators?. I agree that storyline is poorly written because  if you're right I'm forced to believe that a woman like Diane,  quickly after seeing Cary and David Lee being paranoid about her screwing them over, would, out of blue, decide to screw them over for real, create a new firm, plan how to make it and suddenly go to Alicia to ask her to be her partner (the same woman she was scolding and putting in her place just one episode before). Yeah, poor writing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am only still watching because I've invested too much of my time not to see the end.

See, I'm once bitten, twice shy now.  I got a blue french horn to the head from sticking out How I Met Your Mother through so many episodes I hated to the bitter end.  Big mistake.  Huge!  The ending was awful and I was furious that I hung on for that.

So, while I haven't dropped this show per se, I haven't watched the last 3-4 episodes.  They are waiting on my DVR for me until I watch the finale.  I have stuck around long enough to want to see how it ends, and I really do hope it has a great ending.  However, I have learned to give up the episodes for now that would likely have me banging my head against a wall, and just keep up from you good people here in a way that is fun for me.

I really want the last episode to be great....the first 4-5 years of the show, and those of us who loved it then, deserve that.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

That's because she never had partners "conspiring" around her and never was one of those conspirators?. I agree that storyline is poorly written because  if you're right I'm forced to believe that a woman like Diane,  quickly after seeing Cary and David Lee being paranoid about her screwing them over, would, out of blue, decide to screw them over for real, create a new firm, plan how to make it and suddenly go to Alicia to ask her to be her partner (the same woman she was scolding and putting in her place just one episode before). Yeah, poor writing.

I think Diane thinks that Cary and David Lee are looking to push her out.  Hence, her new plan...  Or whatever.  Everything about this storyline is super silly in my opinion.  It's stupid sitcom stuff where if the characters simply talked to each other openly, then there wouldn't be any misunderstandings. 

Though on a side note, the line about how Cary doesn't have the instincts or drive of Will does kind of hold true for me.  I don't remember the show ever writing Cary as a particularly good lawyer.  He's been okay, but kind of a step below the other lawyers.  (I would say the same about Matt Czuchry's acting relative to the other leads.  He's serviceable but not much more.  I wonder if the writers feel the same.)

See, I'm once bitten, twice shy now.  I got a blue french horn to the head from sticking out How I Met Your Mother through so many episodes I hated to the bitter end.  Big mistake.  Huge!  The ending was awful and I was furious that I hung on for that.

So, while I haven't dropped this show per se, I haven't watched the last 3-4 episodes.  They are waiting on my DVR for me until I watch the finale.  I have stuck around long enough to want to see how it ends, and I really do hope it has a great ending.  However, I have learned to give up the episodes for now that would likely have me banging my head against a wall, and just keep up from you good people here in a way that is fun for me.

I really want the last episode to be great....the first 4-5 years of the show, and those of us who loved it then, deserve that.

Heh, I quit How I Met Your Mother a few episodes into the last season.  I really gave it a try since it was the last season, but I don't do the hate-watching stuff.  Waste of time when there are so many other things to watch on TV.  And then I heard what happened in the series finale and am so glad I quit.  

• Love 2

That must be a really big horn, because part of it clipped my head as well.  Of course, you do know that CBS is going to screw us again with TGW, right?  I'm only hanging out in the hopes that they surprise us...and that Cary totally screws them all in the end.  Bunch of disloyal, treacherous fucks that they are.  And as another poster noted: Jason, you don't answer the door at the Governor's apartment wearing a Pink robe.  And by the way..pay close attention to Will Patton's character... THAT'S how you make perma-smirk sexy dude.  And that observation's coming from a straight guy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Heh, I quit How I Met Your Mother a few episodes into the last season.  I really gave it a try since it was the last season, but I don't do the hate-watching stuff.  Waste of time when there are so many other things to watch on TV.  And then I heard what happened in the series finale and am so glad I quit.  

Yep, I don't want to end up hating this show because I hung on too long, but it is getting too close for comfort now.  I honestly can't watch HIMYM anymore because of that awful ending and hanging on when I didn't care.  I hope that doesn't happen here. I want them to end it well, but I'm trying to salvage my good thoughts about this show by letting it go for now without me.

That must be a really big horn, because part of it clipped my head as well. 

Hee!!!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1
(edited)
Though on a side note, the line about how Cary doesn't have the instincts or drive of Will does kind of hold true for me.  I don't remember the show ever writing Cary as a particularly good lawyer.  He's been okay, but kind of a step below the other lawyers.  (I would say the same about Matt Czuchry's acting relative to the other leads.  He's serviceable but not much more.  I wonder if the writers feel the same.)

Maybe you didn't pay much attention to the SA years, when writers still have interest on writing about Cary and didn't just use him like a tool to move on storylines. Back to those years every reviewer would have described him as cutthroat litigator. He was basically the only Alicia's opponent in court when it came to criminal cases. A pain in the ass for L&G. Will is not an universal parameter to evaluate every lawyer. Cary is not Will but that doesn't mean he can't be good on his own.

And as for Matt Czuchry, it's matter of taste. I personally consider him as good as the other cast members. I appreciated that he keeps everything subtle and real. Unfortunally, besides season six season arc, he rarelly got a chance to prove it for more than a bunch of scenes and that season he got pratically nothing to work with it. I don't know what those writers think but if you have an actor who got all the praise that Matt Czuchry got through season six because his performance I would use him and would give him even more good material. No matter if I like him or I don't. He's part of the cast and deserves equal treatment. Something he obviously didn't get that season.

Edited by Klapaucius
  • Love 4

Nah, I've been a pretty big fan of the show and watched every episode.  We just have different takes, that's all.  The Cary character didn't leave the same impression on me as he does others. That's cool.  

No one deserves anything.  The TV show is a business.  Can't please everyone.  I'm sure these actors are making pretty good money.  It's not like anyone put a gun to these actors' heads and forced them to sign contracts and work on the show.  

On a separate note, I watched this last episode with a friend who has never watched it before.  He was surprised how many well-known actors were on this show, from Stockard Channing to Dallas Roberts to Alan Cumming, etc etc.  I love this show for the acting talent that it gets. Must be difficult to balance all these people's schedules.   The writing isn't perfect but I'll take what I can get.  

• Love 1

Perhaps it was the Executive Producer's suggestion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume you're alluding to Julianna Margulies.  FYI, JM has been a producer since season 3 but never an executive producer.  

Isn't it opening them up to a lawsuit? Isn't it illegal to deny someone partnership for their gender? How would anyone react to people trying to do an all male firm?

I didn't mind Diana considering the judgeship, or Cary and Alicia starting their own firm because people have a right to advance their careers and move on from a job. It's business. But Diana wants to throw Cary under the bus just cause she doesn't think he's enough like Will? She's not really going to advance her own position, it just is about hurting Cary.

Yeah, I heard nothing either. I had no idea how Eli was getting 2012 or V Lock or whatever else.

Well, the writers had to make sure we knew that Owen has no life just one last time. 

They just needed Veronica to have someone to make snide comments to.

Isn't it opening them up to a lawsuit? Isn't it illegal to deny someone partnership for their gender? How would anyone react to people trying to do an all male firm?

This is a firm that openly wants to deny people employment because they're white, so I'm guessing they don't really care. Equality!! /sarcasm

But Diana wants to throw Cary under the bus just cause she doesn't think he's enough like Will? She's not really going to advance her own position, it just is about hurting Cary.

I don't think that's true at all. Diana was saying what she thought would best motivate Alicia to take her side. Playing the Will card was nothing more than manipulation. The problem I have with this is that Diana is reacting to nothing but a plot-motivated figment of Carey and Lee's imaginations. Why do they even think Dianne was doing this? Where did that come from? I have no idea. I suspect the showrunners want the show to end with Alicia being a partner of a law firm and in a relationship with someone other than Peter. Why it couldn't be her own law firm is a mystery to me, unless they just didn't know how to create drama to take them through the season without it? So all of this shuffling is nothing more than the writers moving people around to suit their agenda. And that is the core of bad writing.

• Love 2

When Alicia mixed up Jason's name with Will's, all I could think was:

"Alicia. You served with Will Gardner. You knew Will Gardner. Will Gardner was a friend of yours. Alicia, Jason is no Will Gardner".

• Love 9

I suspect the showrunners want the show to end with Alicia being a partner of a law firm and in a relationship with someone other than Peter. Why it couldn't be her own law firm is a mystery to me, unless they just didn't know how to create drama to take them through the season without it? So all of this shuffling is nothing more than the writers moving people around to suit their agenda. And that is the core of bad writing.

The other thing that makes no sense is why Alicia would screw over Cary. Cary's been nothing but helpful to her ever since season 3 or so, pushing her to start their own firm and, recently, inviting her back into L/A/L. From the perspective of the audience, it makes no sense to ally Alicia with Diane (who's been fighting with her and undermining her) over Cary, who hasn't. If you have to choose between them at all, which, of course, you don't. 

• Love 6

The other thing that makes no sense is why Alicia would screw over Cary. Cary's been nothing but helpful to her ever since season 3 or so, pushing her to start their own firm and, recently, inviting her back into L/A/L. From the perspective of the audience, it makes no sense to ally Alicia with Diane (who's been fighting with her and undermining her) over Cary, who hasn't. If you have to choose between them at all, which, of course, you don't. 

I completely agree. Cary has always been honest and supportive no matter what tensions are bubbling away. I hate the thought of him getting shafted because the writers have decided to assassinate Diane's character for some reason.

• Love 5

This show is so limping home. They change the rules every week. New partners at the firm? Of course. It's only been a week. New lover for Alicia? Sure! Who remembers Will, Peter, or that kind of British guy who might have been her partner? What a mess. This show should have stopped when Will was killed. Producers claimed, but couldn't uphold, idea that they had all kinds of story lines for episodes without Will. As it turned out, they didn't. And I have wasted last two years of my life wanting for more.

• Love 3

Heh, I quit How I Met Your Mother a few episodes into the last season.

Oh how I wish I had. I wasn't an avid watcher of HIMYM, but I watched the last season because it was the last season. After the finale, I told all of my friends that were fully invested that I was sorry that they'd watched all nine seasons for that. >.>

• Love 1

"It seems to be the standard today that women in the tv world never take their bras off while actively engaged in sex"

Really. And the other trope that's gone on for years where they pull the whole sheet off the bed and wrap it around themselves when they get up and go pee, go get dressed, or whatever.

• Love 1
(edited)

The one character I want them to drag back in before the end is Lemond Bishop (Mike Colter). I don't even remember how that story arc ended, or whether he's now in prison, I just want to feel that delicious frisson of sex and danger one more time. I am aware this does not necessarily speak well of me. I don't care. Also, Mike Colter needs his own show and I want his co-star to be Idris Elba, but that would kill me dead so maybe I'd better rethink this.

p.s. Ooo, I looked up Colter and it appears he's starring in a series in development. It's called "Luke Cage." But damn, no mention of Idris.

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 5

At this point, the antics of Diane, Alicia, David Lee, and Cary are beyond ridiculous.  Diane wasn't planning anything.  David Lee took paranoia to a new level, unfortunately Cary went along with him, they had that phone call where Diane could see them so in case she was up to something, she would think they were up to something, and then Diane decided to have lunch with Alicia, and get up to something.  These people have double crossed and stabbed each other in the back so many times, that even when originally no one was planning on doing something underhanded, they all go ahead and do something underhanded.

The people on the Walking Dead are to stupid to live, and the attorney's on TGW are to stupid to have any clients left.  No one would want these people handling their case for them.  They would be like, "We are going with that unknown firm down the street that has actually managed to go six months without turning on each other, and turning their law firm upside down and inside out AGAIN."

Why is Eli scrambling to protect Peter?  Why is he even bothering to still work for Peter?  Both Alicia and Eli should have abandoned ship years ago.

• Love 1

The one character I want them to drag back in before the end is Lemond Bishop (Mike Colter). I don't even remember how that story arc ended, or whether he's now in prison, I just want to feel that delicious frisson of sex and danger one more time. I am aware this does not necessarily speak well of me. I don't care. Also, Mike Colter needs his own show and I want his co-star to be Idris Elba, but that would kill me dead so maybe I'd better rethink this.

p.s. Ooo, I looked up Colter and it appears he's starring in a series in development. It's called "Luke Cage." But damn, no mention of Idris.

OT, but if you have Netflix, Colter has a good-size role on Jessica Jones.  And you see a lot of him, if you know what I mean.

• Love 7

This is just turning into a circus. Step right up folks, and see the Amazing Chemistry Black Hole Sociopath Couple! Come marvel at Supposed Professionals Who Run A Law Firm Like A High School Clique! Stare in amazement at Family Quirks That Are Not Funny! Come one and come all, to see A Formally Great Show That Has Crashed And Burned! Hurry hurry, only a few more weeks! 

• Love 11

Alicia is the last person anyone on this show anyone should do business with. How many times has she betrayed or lied to her employers or business partners or given any care from them? Did Diane forget the time that Alicia went out on her own behind their back? Or gave up the firm? Alicia is the most disloyal business person.

The writers seem intent on continuing the power play plot which makes everyone involved incredibly stupid and forget anything from the last seven years. I know Alicia is a sociopath, but they have also made Cary stupid enough to go along with David Lee and Diane stupid enough to align herself with Alicia. The Will comparison with Cary makes everyone look bad.

I really liked these characters, and now I'm sad I have to start disliking them. I hope good things can be salvaged by this somehow.

• Love 2
(edited)

This is just turning into a circus. Step right up folks, and see the Amazing Chemistry Black Hole Sociopath Couple! Come marvel at Supposed Professionals Who Run A Law Firm Like A High School Clique! Stare in amazement at Family Quirks That Are Not Funny! Come one and come all, to see A Formally Great Show That Has Crashed And Burned! Hurry hurry, only a few more weeks!

All I can think of is the old Blue Magic tune from the 1970s...

"So let the Sideshow begin...hurry, hurry, step right on in.  Can't afford to pass it by, guaranteed to make you cry..."

Very appropriate given this now-nightmare of a show.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2

Alicia is the last person anyone on this show anyone should do business with. How many times has she betrayed or lied to her employers or business partners or given any care from them? Did Diane forget the time that Alicia went out on her own behind their back? Or gave up the firm? Alicia is the most disloyal business person.

The writers seem intent on continuing the power play plot which makes everyone involved incredibly stupid and forget anything from the last seven years. I know Alicia is a sociopath, but they have also made Cary stupid enough to go along with David Lee and Diane stupid enough to align herself with Alicia. The Will comparison with Cary makes everyone look bad.

I really liked these characters, and now I'm sad I have to start disliking them. I hope good things can be salvaged by this somehow.

I think Alicia only betrayed the law firm once (along with Cary) and then gave up the firm when she ran for/won the SA office. She's really no worse than the other major characters on the show when it comes to professional betrayals. Peter, Will, Diane, Cary...they've all done it to some extent. And people continue to want to work with Alicia because of her connection to Peter.

I don't like the power struggle story but it was only a small part of this episode. I liked everything else.

I think Alicia only betrayed the law firm once (along with Cary) and then gave up the firm when she ran for/won the SA office. She's really no worse than the other major characters on the show when it comes to professional betrayals. Peter, Will, Diane, Cary...they've all done it to some extent. And people continue to want to work with Alicia because of her connection to Peter.

Oh definitely, she is only good for PR because of Peter. I do think that Alicia is one of the worse business partners on the show. She overturned Cary's decisions in their firm and made decisions without him. While Diane and Will did a lot of power playing, they were very loyal to each other. Cary has been consistently  supportive of Alicia, but I can't say she's done the same to him lately. I am frustrated with the constant firm power plays or movements Alicia has had in the past few years. It's been exhausting to watch and I have no faith in her ability to manage or run a business.

• Love 4

Diane did betray Will when she was up for that judgeship (she gave an interview denouncing him). Really all the characters have done not so great things to further their professional careers. I don't remember the details but early on in the series, there was a third named partner that was pushed out by Will and Diane. Then another power play the following season or so. And then with Cary and Alicia, they were adversaries throughout the earlier seasons until it was to their mutual benefit to join forces and split off from the firm and steal clients. Cary betrayed Diane and Will. Diane was very hurt by that at the time. And if we really think about it, she doesn't have any reason to trust Cary. Why is it that Diane should show Cary loyalty? They've all stabbed each other in the back plenty. So when Diane sees Cary and David Lee act all suspicious, yeah, fuck them. Alicia at least has the connections and she appeals to the women's group client base (the reason why they brought her back to the firm anyway). What does Cary bring to the table?

I mean, I still think this latest storyline is dumb, but Cary is not an innocent character here. He is just as unethical and disloyal as everyone else.

• Love 1

Here's the thing, though.  Cary and David have at no point since this ridiculous storyline began a couple of episodes ago said anything about forcing Diane out.  She thinks that they think she's trying to start something up with Alicia (which she is), and they want to know what she's up to.  But they haven't done anything.

Diane, OTOH, is actively trying to convince Alicia to help her push Cary out.

What does Cary bring to the table?  The firm, that's what.  I think Diane is starting to believe her own story she was spinning to Lucca and the new hires.  The fact is, Cary is the only founding name partner at LAL.  If Diane thinks he's such a crappy lawyer, why did she push her way in, and then help him push Alicia out?

Frankly, this whole story is asinine, and makes them ALL look bad.

• Love 5

We, the viewers, know Cary and David Lee haven't actively done anything. But when they act all suspicious (and deliberately so), what else would Diane think? Should she sit back and play defense. Or go on the offensive? (The smart answer is just to go to them and talk it out but you know, stupid writing.)

Cary is founding partner because he left Lockhart Gardner and stole clients. Diane joined up with them because of Alicia (and I think because she was getting pushed out by David Lee and Canning). Cary wasn't really part of the deal so much (hence the complaints about Alicia making decisions without Cary). Yeah, I don't think Cary brings much. Any high profile clients that the firm gets seem to be because of other named partners or Alicia. Pushing Alicia out was because of the Oliver Platt character, no? And I think there was an episode where they did this silly sitcom misunderstanding thing where each side thought the other was betraying them.

Edited by Noreaster

I used to love this show, then, as it got more ridiculous, I stopped loving it and just watched with the hope that it would go back to its former self, then, as it kept being ridiculous, I watched so that I could make fun of it.  But now, since I know it is on its final legs and that the people in charge knew this would be the end, I am sort of enjoying the show again.  I have given up hope that the story lines will make sense or that there will be continuity or that the characters will behave consistently.  I get the feeling that they have pulled out all the stops and are intent on making this as wacky as the can. And I am enjoying seeing just how wacky it will get.  It has reached the point that it is so ridiculous that I find it entertaining.  It is like one of the Airplane movies, but set in a law firm, with a side order of politics.  

Alicia has been back at Stern Lockhart Gardner Bond Canning Agos Lee for all of two episodes and they're already One very realistic but annoying thing from this episode was the ridiculous expectation that you are required to answer your cell phone at all times. I remember not long ago (circa 2000) when everyone had cell phones but it was totally fine not to answer it every time it rang because it was understood that you might be busy or asleep or at a movie or you didn't want to use your precious minutes or whatever. Now we're to the point where people get mad if you don't answer the phone or respond to a text right away. I had a friend who quit grad school and then would call in the middle of the day because she was bored. She would get annoyed if I didn't answer the phone or call her back right away, despite the fact that she knew I was, you know, AT WORK. Working. Thankfully my parents don't live close enough to just pop by if I don't answer the phone right away because that would drive me insane.

My family got our first answering machine in 1987.  Before that, if the phone rang, you answered it. You didn't know who it was until you answered it and there was no "do not call list" so the caller was often a telemarketer.  You even answered the phone if you favorite tv show was on - and we didn't have a way to record the show back then - which means that you missed some of your favorite program because of some guy wanting to sell you a magazine subscription.  Time were tough.  

Then people started getting answering machines and "screening your calls" was born. Society soon went the completely opposite direction and it seemed no one answered their phone until the knew who it was.  Caller ID was further incentive not to answer your phone.  People realized that if they didn't answer, they didn't miss anything - whoever was calling would leave a message.  

Somehow, when people started carrying phones with them everywhere, things changed again.  Maybe it was because people figured out that you can't say your weren't there for the call if the phone was in your pocket.  And callers would feel slighted if you didn't answer.  If you made them leave a message, then you better give them a reason when you call them back to explain why you didn't answer.  

The weird part is that people who most likely stood next to their answering machine and listened to the message, but didn't pick up the phone, are the same people who now get mad if you don't answer your cell phone or text back immediately.   

I'm only half-watching at this point, but did Jason open the door of the governor's wife's home in a pink robe to greet the pizza delivery guy? 

Hey, I was just happy he had something on - I think he was shirtless the entire episode until he answered the door.  I really hope he had underwear on when he was sitting on Alicia's bedroom floor.  

Alicia and Jason have less than zero chemistry. They're cringeworthy. I've been watching old episodes, and it's striking compared to JM's chemistry with Chris Noth and Josh Charles.

In her defense, JM had less botox when Will was on the show, so chemistry was easier to show.

Exactly. We all know why it was done, but that doesn't make it any more interesting to watch. It was frustrating and overdone. They could have shown Eli struggling to hear it and still let us know what the heck was being said!

They could have easily had us hear 20-30 seconds of what Eli was hearing then just have him periodically come out of the bathroom to tell someone what he thought he heard.  That way, they wouldn't have to tell us any real details (as they would have if they let us hear the courtroom scenes in a normal tone) and they wouldn't frustrate the few viewers they have left.  

I think Diane thinks that Cary and David Lee are looking to push her out.  Hence, her new plan...  Or whatever.  Everything about this storyline is super silly in my opinion.  It's stupid sitcom stuff where if the characters simply talked to each other openly, then there wouldn't be any misunderstandings. 

At this point, the antics of Diane, Alicia, David Lee, and Cary are beyond ridiculous.  Diane wasn't planning anything.  David Lee took paranoia to a new level, unfortunately Cary went along with him, they had that phone call where Diane could see them so in case she was up to something, she would think they were up to something, and then Diane decided to have lunch with Alicia, and get up to something.  These people have double crossed and stabbed each other in the back so many times, that even when originally no one was planning on doing something underhanded, they all go ahead and do something underhanded.

The Good Wife pays homage to Three's Company.  

• Love 2

This is the first episode I've liked in a very long time. I found it fun, for once, and it reminded me of how the show used to be. Apart from the firm partners new shenanigans, I enjoyed it all, the doorbell that kept on ringing with more and more people piling in, Tascioni 2.0, Eli, even Veronica and Owen, and even Jason and Alicia! 

• Love 1

I will miss Eli and his daughter (sorry, I've forgotten the character's name).

I enjoyed every episode that included them, especially the latest ones where they interacted with each other more.