Type keyword(s) to search

7th Heaven - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Saw the episode the other day where Matt & Sarah secretly married..of course, only one who knows about this is nosy Ruthie..God, she grates on my nerves! The Cramdens all go to the Glass's home for dinner on a Friday night, Mom Cramden makes un-Kosher Kugel.  Matt announces that he is converting. Nosy, mouthy Ruthie asks if this means he's going to be circumcised.  How the hell does she know he's not circumcised?  Is that a topic they normally discuss at the after dinner table while the 2 older girls are making out in the living room with a couple of door to door carpet cleaning salesmen who knocked at the door?

Edited by alegtostandon
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Why did they choose to make Mary a "bad girl"?

I've always expected one of the Camden children would have had to become "bad child", there were plenty of candidates. But I would never suspect, that Mary could have such a trouble. I mean, she practiced  sport, she helped Lucy etc. And she was Jessica Biel. I would have expected a different plot line for popular Biel.

36 minutes ago, glorie said:

I've always expected one of the Camden children would have had to become "bad child", there were plenty of candidates. But I would never suspect, that Mary could have such a trouble. I mean, she practiced  sport, she helped Lucy etc. And she was Jessica Biel. I would have expected a different plot line for popular Biel.

Maybe they made her bad because she would be the last one you would suspect.  Did they make her bad before or after JB posed for Playboy?

2 hours ago, glorie said:

I thought she upset the producers by posing topless for a magazine and complaining about a show.  So they "punished" her, but also used it as a way to write her off the show.

It certainly wasn't because she was such a great actress, they felt she could handle the meatier role!

On 3/6/2017 at 11:17 AM, Willowsmom said:

The differences were the whole point.  The show spent years telling us Matt was impulsive, especially  when it came to women . And basically this marriage was a way to show Matt out from under his rather domineering parents thumbs.

And I disagree  that a rabbi wouldn't allow  such a marriage. Remember Matt converted.

I thought the whole reason for the storyline was to give the actor IRL an temporary or full exit from the show because he had medical issues.  

One thing show didn't handle very well was how to deal with the actor's real life.  In regards to Biel, why would show care if she was dating her on screen boyfriend in real life?  Unless it went sour?!  She did much better in the end anyways (ending up with Timberlake).

• Love 2
7 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

Finally saw the episode where T-Bone & the 2 "runaway" girls come into play.  

I'massuming Simon and Rose never married, is she ever seen again? 

They did not get married because she and her ex decided they were still in love.  I didn't pay that much attention to the last season, but I don't think she is ever seen again.  I don't even think simon, Mary, or Matt are ever seen again, but like I said, didn't pay that much attention to the last season, so I can't be sure.

I haven't thought about this show since that awful scandal . I actually get mad when I see it on the guide BUT I do see Beverly Mitchell on POP with Sam from Step by Step and Stephanie from full house. A real cornball comedy. Beverly looks exactly the same. I can't believe it.   

• Love 1
On 5/11/2017 at 4:24 PM, kinnej5 said:

I feel like this is a shout-out to the fanfic my friend and I wrote years ago. If it is, cheers! :)

It's an in-joke to the old TWoP days where this was a phrase we threw around in the later seasons. :p

• Love 1

They have confirmation classes so that narrows it down.  I'm not sure that it was ever really supposed to be a specific denomination, though.  I think it was kind of a mash up of Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and Hollywood Holier Than Thou.

• Love 1

You know, this doesn't have anything to do specifically with what religion they are, but in that episode where they went to dinner at the Glasses, how could Annie not know that mixing meat and dairy was not kosher.  All the kosher rules are in the Old Testament, which she really should have read several times by this point in her life.

I only watched it because I found Barry Watson sexy AF (judge if you will)....and, of course, to snark. 

Does anyone know how to access the TWOP episode recaps? There was a recap of the "Simon and Rose's wedding" episode that used to make me laugh until tears were streaming down my face! I'd kill to see it again!

Edited by Liamsmom617
On 9/14/2017 at 9:35 AM, Liamsmom617 said:

I only watched it because I found Barry Watson sexy AF (judge if you will)....and, of course, to snark. 

Does anyone know how to access the TWOP episode recaps? There was a recap of the "Simon and Rose's wedding" episode that used to make me laugh until tears were streaming down my face! I'd kill to see it again!

Is this one it?

http://www.brilliantbutcancelled.com/show/7th-heaven/and-thank-you/

Not sure where this would go: watched the movie "Carrie" last night, the original version from 1976. There was a girl among the group that tormented Carrie, didn't have a big part, she just seemed so familiar. Googled her, it's the woman who played the nosy church woman, Mrs Beeker. The one who would show up to the house, saying she had the right since the house is owned by the church.

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0566052/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl69

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:21 AM, alegtostandon said:

Finally saw the episode where T-Bone & the 2 "runaway" girls come into play.  

omg they were so, so extra.  But what were they gonna do...almost the entire cast had left by then.  It was kind of like the last season or two of 90210, when even the replacement characters had peaced out and there was not a single Walsh living in the Walsh house.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Randomly, I have happened to catch two episodes this week on GetTV.  I used to adore the old TWoP thread, but between the death of TWoP and the Stephen Collins issue, I had sort of data-dumped 7th Heaven.  That being said, seeing the show again reactivated my snark and hatred for this GD show!

• Love 3
On 11/30/2017 at 11:35 PM, SuspiciousMind said:

Randomly, I have happened to catch two episodes this week on GetTV.  I used to adore the old TWoP thread, but between the death of TWoP and the Stephen Collins issue, I had sort of data-dumped 7th Heaven.  That being said, seeing the show again reactivated my snark and hatred for this GD show!

Cate had the best recaps! So did Gwen, but she never wrote as many pages as Cate.

The latest recap I read on the TWoP mirror was, I think... Well, it was a season five episode. Mary had come back and there was this thing with condoms. When I need a good laugh, I always go back to the mirror and read them, particularly Cate's recaps. I wasn't so fond of the season 7 and later recaps. I think by then, Cate and Gwen had retired. Understandable, season 7 and later sucked majorly.

• Love 2

Just watched an episode I'd never seen before...and could have lived without ever seeing.  It's when Ruthie is in her most annoying personality ever...She's in that private school, which she's in thru a scholarship. She 'protected' a Muslim girl who was being bullied while walking. ,Ruthie decided to make this girl her next project & hides the girl in the garage.  The Rev & Mrs Rev proclaim that this girl needs to be in a private school & they will get her into the same private school where Ruthie goes...on a scholarship!

Guess what, every other parent at that school, except the Camdens, of course, are prejudice & do not want a Muslim going to school with their kid. To help convince them, the principal has the very mature Ruthie try to talk some sense into this large group of bigots. Ruthie starts out telling this group how much she likes to be able to ride horses at school & if they don't allow her friend in on a scholarship, she will have to quit her free private school with horses! 

Next morning, a knock at the door...it's the principal & Ruthie's favorite hated teacher.. They quit their jobs at the private school & guess where they got jobs overnight...yup, Ruthie's public school! All because of what Ruthie said!

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Do you know what confounded me, and continues to confound me?  How Brenda Hampton, who executive produced and wrote a majority of this drek, managed to get not one, not two, but three network tv shows! (7th Heaven, Fat Actress, Secret Life of the American Teenager). 

I mean, this woman's writing is so massively horrendous that I have seen it used by other writers as an example of how not to write for TV.

What's her deal?  Does she have compromising photos of Les Moonves with a goat or what?  Inquiring minds want to know.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Pippin said:

Does she have compromising photos of Les Moonves with a goat or what?

This is really the only logical explanation.  

The other thing that confounded me was how this was touted as a "family friendly show" when every character was pretty much terrible and the whole show seemed to be sex obsessed.

2 hours ago, deaja said:

This is really the only logical explanation.  

The other thing that confounded me was how this was touted as a "family friendly show" when every character was pretty much terrible and the whole show seemed to be sex obsessed.

I've never seen the other 2 shoes BH wrote, but I know teenager's. I've never seen teen girls as obsessed with "making out" than all of the Rev Girls! Even worse, the parents were aware of this & encouraged it! 

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 2
On 2/23/2018 at 11:22 AM, alegtostandon said:

I've never seen the other 2 shoes BH wrote, but I know teenager's. I've never seen teen girls as obsessed with "making out" than all of the Rev Girls! Even worse, the parents were aware of this & encouraged it! 

Secret lives of a American teenager.. they weren't just obsessed with making out.. but getting married.. and they were still in high school.  The things you found annoying on 7th Heaven were 10 times for annoying on the secret lives show.. so be thankful you never saw that show.

For me, I bailed once Biel left the show full time.

• Love 4
On 10/26/2017 at 2:58 PM, alegtostandon said:

Not sure where this would go: watched the movie "Carrie" last night, the original version from 1976. There was a girl among the group that tormented Carrie, didn't have a big part, she just seemed so familiar. Googled her, it's the woman who played the nosy church woman, Mrs Beeker. The one who would show up to the house, saying she had the right since the house is owned by the church.

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0566052/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl69

If you have seen Ferris Bueler's Day Off, she is in that, too.  She plays Grace, Mr. Rooney's assistant.  She is the one who says that everyone loves Ferris.  "They think he's a righteous dude."

• Love 1
On 3/6/2017 at 3:22 AM, magicdog said:

Part of Mary's issues stemmed from real life events.  IIRC, she was butting heads with the producers and starting to get a bit big for her britches.  She was also seeing the actor who played her boyfriend on the show.  Eventually, the producers got fed up and had Mary get sent away to her grandparents but the boyfriend stayed on the show.  It was set up that whenever Beil was back on set, the boyfriend would not be on set at the same time or not in an episode at all.  

I don't know what the idiots were thinking when they had Matt marry Rachel.  For one thing,  different religions.  IRL, that marriage wouldn't have happened much less worked out.  Despite my appreciation of comedian Richard Lewis, I can't see his character (a Reformed Rabbi) allowing the union .  Not to mention virtually no buildup.  Kind of reminds you of sitcom characters who fall in love with people you never see or hear about onscreen until  the finale (or the character's exit) when they announce they're getting married quick and running off somewhere.

It’s not the norm, but it happens. My cousin is a Christian, and he married a Jewish woman. 

5 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

t’s not the norm, but it happens. My cousin is a Christian, and he married a Jewish woman. 

As my father was Catholic and my mom was born a Jew.  She converted before they were married because my father wanted a united household and raise the children as Catholic.  Which comes back to my point - sure mixed faiths marry, but unless there is an agreed form of unity regarding how to raise up a family, dissension in the ranks is inevitable.   

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1
On 5/22/2017 at 5:51 PM, Katy M said:

You know, this doesn't have anything to do specifically with what religion they are, but in that episode where they went to dinner at the Glasses, how could Annie not know that mixing meat and dairy was not kosher.  All the kosher rules are in the Old Testament, which she really should have read several times by this point in her life.

There was never once any credible evidence that Annie had ever even heard of Jesus. Never mind knowing the ins and outs of the Old Testament.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2018 at 1:44 AM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Secret lives of a American teenager.. they weren't just obsessed with making out.. but getting married.. and they were still in high school.  The things you found annoying on 7th Heaven were 10 times for annoying on the secret lives show.. so be thankful you never saw that show.

For me, I bailed once Biel left the show full time.

Secret Life was ridiculous.  I have never known any teenagers to be as obsessed with sex and marriage as they were on that show. I mean, of course teens talk about sex and many are doing it, but it hardly makes up the majority of conversations like it did on that show. And getting married?  I don't know a single high schooler who is all about getting married.  I twas just weird.

I MUCH prefer the earlier seasons of 7th Heaven.  It just got so preachy in the later seasons.  Every episode was a PSA about Islam, sexual harassment, gun violence, Darfur, the military, poverty, etc. For how preachy the show was, they really failed to nail the Christian aspect of the show.

And, just what's bugging me right now, I just saw the episode where Eric was all freaking out on Kevin because he, a trained cop, had he audacity to have a gun.  Of course he has a gun.  He's a cop.  But Eric is all freaking out about him having one in the house. Then he starts asking Kevin if he intends to keep a gun in his house with Savannah.  Kevin says yes and that he will keep the gun in one locked box and the bullets in another location in their own locked box.  Not good enough for Eric who starts talking about how bad it is to have a gun in the house.  I'm just guessing that Kevin, the cop, knows a bit about gun violence and the risks and dangers presented by having one in the house and is able to make up his own mind.

• Love 5
On 5/22/2017 at 4:51 PM, Katy M said:

It also irritated me that they had Rabbi Glass asking Eric who "the lamb" was.  As a Jew, he would be well aware of the sacrificial lamb and what the savior was supposed to take the place of.

I also go irritated in the episode about Staff Sergeant Dwight J. Morgan where Ruthie is talking about her family.  She says that he dad is a protestant minister who is grateful for freedom of religion (no issue there) and encourages people to pick a religion, any religion, and practice it.  I don't know a single protestant minister who would say it doesn't matter what religion you pick.  In the Christian faith, if you don't trust in Jesus Christ as your savior, so if you are a Buddhist or Muslim or whatever, you don't go to Heaven. And you are supposed to love your neighbor enough to tell him the gospel and encourage him to accept Jesus. Then again, I'm not sure that the Camdens were actually Christian. Is there a religion where you worship yourself?  If so, I'm thinking that's what they were.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

She says that he dad is a protestant minister who is grateful for freedom of religion (no issue there) and encourages people to pick a religion, any religion, and practice it.

Maybe she was just confused.  Because he was against Matt converting to Judaism to marry Sarah (although it's a bad idea to convert religions solely for marital reasons anyway). And, when Lucy was going to explore her options before joining his church, he basically guilted her into not.  I think Ruthie was just confusing Eric's general tolerance and non-hit-over-the head approach to encouraging other religions.

Hallmark is doing a marathon, flipping back & forth. I cannot stand the arrogant character they turned Ruthie into. Flipped it over once to hear her say she knows more than Margaret Mead...Flipped again to hear her lecturing the woman Matt married on what engagement means then asking if she gets it now because she's tired of repeating herself. What a snotty little bitch!

ETA: just remembered another arrogant/snotty comment she made, when Matt's girlfriend/fiancee/wife met the family for the first time & they were trying to keep Ruthie quiet. Ruthie was asked if she liked horses..replied 'before I heroed myself out of a private school...'

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 2

I think Ruthie was my least favorite character on the show. On a show that had Annie, that’s quite an accomplishment.

15 minutes ago, deaja said:

I think Ruthie was my least favorite character on the show. On a show that had Annie, that’s quite an accomplishment.

I liked her when she was little, but man did she grow up to be a brat.  Although, unfortunately, I find it to be realistic.  The few (3) real-life people I know to be the youngest of large families (more than 4 children) are generally pretty entitled.  I think the parents just get sick of discipline by that time.

I really liked the first three seasons or so of this show but then it was a rapid slide downhill....the last season was so painful to watch.   The story lines got sillier and sillier with all the "strays" the Camdens starting bring home.   And Ruthie turned into a snot and Annie turned into a shrew.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2018 at 7:27 AM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Secret Life was ridiculous.  I have never known any teenagers to be as obsessed with sex and marriage as they were on that show. I mean, of course teens talk about sex and many are doing it, but it hardly makes up the majority of conversations like it did on that show. And getting married?  I don't know a single high schooler who is all about getting married.  I twas just weird.

I MUCH prefer the earlier seasons of 7th Heaven.  It just got so preachy in the later seasons.  Every episode was a PSA about Islam, sexual harassment, gun violence, Darfur, the military, poverty, etc. For how preachy the show was, they really failed to nail the Christian aspect of the show.

And, just what's bugging me right now, I just saw the episode where Eric was all freaking out on Kevin because he, a trained cop, had he audacity to have a gun.  Of course he has a gun.  He's a cop.  But Eric is all freaking out about him having one in the house. Then he starts asking Kevin if he intends to keep a gun in his house with Savannah.  Kevin says yes and that he will keep the gun in one locked box and the bullets in another location in their own locked box.  Not good enough for Eric who starts talking about how bad it is to have a gun in the house.  I'm just guessing that Kevin, the cop, knows a bit about gun violence and the risks and dangers presented by having one in the house and is able to make up his own mind.

Oh, that military episode where Ruthie had a pen pal? That was horribly sad that he was killed, but for the whole town to get involved?  And that dance Ruthie was doing to Tom Petty, I was waiting for her to start stripping! 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:40 AM, penbrat said:

I really liked the first three seasons or so of this show but then it was a rapid slide downhill....the last season was so painful to watch.   The story lines got sillier and sillier with all the "strays" the Camdens starting bring home.   And Ruthie turned into a snot and Annie turned into a shrew.

One of the stations started from season one recently. Ruthie was so cute! I am trying to figure out when she became the entitled, self centered bitch...when did Simon become the angry, loner sex addict? They both threw their sexuality in their parents face.  The later episode with Ruthie doing the 'sex dance' while dad watched then her asking him if she was sexy!?  Two recent older episodes had Ruthie singing The Star Spangled Banner and Baby Face...she was so cute.  

Edited by alegtostandon
12 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

Oh, that military episode where Ruthie had a pen pal? That was horribly sad that he was killed, but for the whole town to get involved?  And that dance Ruthie was doing to Tom Petty, I was waiting for her to start stripping! 

One of the stations started from season one recently. Ruthie was so cute! I am trying to figure out when she became the entitled, self centered bitch...when did Simon become the angry, loner sex addict? They both threw their sexuality in their parents face.  The later episode with Ruthie doing the 'sex dance' while dad watched then her asking him if she was sexy!?  Two recent older episodes had Ruthie singing The Star Spangled Banner and Baby Face...she was so cute.  

Ruthie and the sex dance for daddy Camden! Vomit.  Something was seriously wrong with these writers' brains.  I think Ruthie turned really obnoxious around the time Peter moved away.  She was getting really preachy before then but after he left she became a know-it-all who really knew nothing and was just embarrassing herself all the time.  I think Simon started going downhill in the episode where Cecilia is a new character and decides the two of them should be best friends.  That was sometime around when he started an escort business.

• Love 2

I don't know why I let this garbage show to get me so angry...

Just saw an episode where Matt and his wife are starting their residency.  He has an emergency cell phone & all of his aggravating, self centered family spend the day calling, even after a couple of the level headed friends tell them not to. Then, when Matt tells them not to call, he's working...learning to save lives, not selling hamburgers at their local hamburger joint, they get pissed at him! His Dr Boss, who already thinks Matt belongs at the local hamburger joint and not a hospital, gets angry at the ever ringing phone & tosses it in the garbage!

And does anyone so research? Ruthie calls after her blonde haired boyfriend tells her not to, insisting that Matt will talk to her.  She gives the phone to Simons girlfriend, demanding she bring the phone up to her room when he answers, this Ruthie enabler stands there holding the phone, listening to it just ring.  The other Rev walks in, she hands the phone to him, repeating Bitchy Ruthie's demands. He stands there holding it for only God knows how long.  Lucy walks in & he passes the phone & demands on to her, who hangs up!

No phone will just ring for that long, it will either go to VM or disconnect. This is by far the rudest group I've ever seen on any TV show...how did it last for so long?

• Love 3

Have not watched this show since my last rant. Hallmark is showing the whole last season today. Turned it on to the episode where the parents are heading to Scotland to bring bitchy Ruthie back home...what a self centered, spoiled bitch! 

One scene is the blonde fake Camden girl over at Lucy and Kevin's house.  She has informed them that she married a serviceman to get the benefits but didn't like the housing so has filed for divorce. Guess being homeless is more appealing.   They show her in the living room breaking the news to this enlisted serviceman that it's all over. Kevin and the red haired fake Camden girl are sitting there  with the fake Camden boy,T-Rex or whatever. All we see is this poor newly enlisted serviceman hunched over at the sad news that he is now divorced.   A few episodes later, it comes out that the guy the fake blonde Camden girl married is the orphan boy Rev's parents adopted.  Now, don't you think of he's sitting in Lucy's house, he would say 'hey, my fake brother is a minister and lives in this neighborhood!'.  

This show is so ridicules!

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 3

So in one of the many ways 7th Heaven makes no sense...Sandy has sex with Martin in June. They even make sure to mention it was June. The season goes along and there’s a Thanksgiving and a Christmas episode, then Sandy gives birth, an episode or two before the Valentines episode. 

How exactly did Sandy manage to experience 10 months of pregnancy in 7 months? And no one questioned this at all?  I’m assuming this was supposed to lead to it being Simon’s baby right? Even though she claimed that wasn’t possible when asked since she and Simon had happened “last year”. Which also wasn’t possible since they also said Sandy was right before Rose who didn’t show up until around April. 

I’m also kind of surprised everyone’s attitude was just, well she says it’s Martins, must be true.  Then again proximity to a Camden seemed to really increase the odds of either a pregnancy or pregnant scare if you had sex before marriage  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, emcmac87 said:

o in one of the many ways 7th Heaven makes no sense...Sandy has sex with Martin in June. They even make sure to mention it was June. The season goes along and there’s a Thanksgiving and a Christmas episode, then Sandy gives birth, an episode or two before the Valentines episode. 

How exactly did Sandy manage to experience 10 months of pregnancy in 7 months?

Wouldn't that be 8 months?  At the very least 7 1/2 if they sex June 30th.  8 1/2 if they had it June 1st.  Which is barely even early.

I actually enjoyed 7th Heave the first three seasons. It wasn't great writing, but it wasn't bad. However, as soon as Brenda H went to war with Jessica Biel and then they put in the twins and also with Ruthie: "I can never anything." The show went off the rails and also how Hampton continued saying how they were: "The #1 show for the network." Which was a lie, as Smallville over passed them and Everwood was only a few spots behind. Keeping the show on 10 years to "honor" Aaron Spelling was such BS and then bringing the show back for an 11th season when majority of the cast moved on or filmed like 2 days a week just proved why the show, SHOULDN'T have been on 10 years. 5 at the best.

• Love 2