Type keyword(s) to search

Better Off Ted - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Racial Sensitivity is my favorite episode. I think it was the funniest episode not just of the series, but of the entire decade of the aughts. It weaved back and forth on the line of humor and tasteless. Lem's, "My white guy sucks" is an example. Hysterical (and the quote used for that sub-forum), but could have easily gone too far. A brilliant episode.

• Love 3

Let's see some advice from Veronica and Lem and Phil convos here.

Veronica: Remember that perfume your team developed about a year ago? In 3 out of 5,000 women, it reacts with their body chemistry and attracts hornets who want to mate with them.
Ted: And when the hornets realize they've been deceived, do they just laugh it off?
Veronica: If by "laugh" you mean sting over and over again in endless waves of fury, then yes, they have a wonderful sense of humor.

"Now get in there and run that meeting like a shark driving an assault vehicle through a herd of seals wearing chum pants." 

I think Veronica is great because of what Portia di Rossi does with the character. Her delivery is so good.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 6
On 8/19/2017 at 9:13 AM, Driad said:

Designers of artificial intelligence systems need to program them to recognize a wider range of accents and dialects.  Article.

There was also a clip I saw on Twitter last week of an automatic/optic soap dispenser that wouldn't recognize a black man's hand. I was relieved to see how many replies referenced that genius episode of Better Off Ted.

Edited by Rachel81
  • Love 4
On 2/1/2018 at 2:48 AM, dcalley said:

I've been watching stuff on fox.com and have seen this Lockheed Martin ad so many times. It really reminds me of the ads for Veridian Dynamics.

Holy crap @dcalley -- you're right. It does have a Veridian Dynamics feel to it.

All it needed was a slightly evil corporate twist like "fusion reactors -- that we will use to power SkyNet" and it would fit right in.

That made me so nostalgic. It even sounds like the lady from the VD commercials. I kept waiting for the twist at the end, like a nuke shooting the planes out of the sky. 

Speaking of VD (hahaha, not that kind!) my company decided to go with blank white badges, no logo, no picture, nothing. So I made myself a Veridian Dynamics badge because, well, why not? 

• Love 2

No argument about "Racial Sensitivity" -- it's utterly brilliant. Second place for me is from Season 2: "The Impertence of Communicationizing," in which a typo forces everyone to use offensive language in meetings. Even without the outtakes they put on YouTube, it's a gem. Both episodes deserve to be remembered as comedic classics: even when you've grasped the premise (early on), they keep building and expanding in glorious ways.

• Love 6