Type keyword(s) to search

The 100... Things That Make No Sense

28 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

I also see that there are more Hispanic people than the average (again, from my very limited knowledge of TV shows). And I don't think it was pointed out that Henry Ian Cusick is also Hispanic (Peruvian, mother also Peruvian). 

They never address these things in the show, because yeah, they're very proud of their "colorblind" casting. I think we only know from the 100 writers' Twitters that Bellamy and Octavia are supposed to have different dads, since Bellamy is played by the actor who is half-Filipino.

My impression that even though the writers have right idea but they still end up with many unfortunate implications (as you mentioned, the accidental colonialism theme I don't think Jason Rothenberg, the EP, considers) and racist undertones (non-white characters from lower class in season 3 are shown as mindless aggressors, two white privileged women are shown to be forces of order and goodness).

37 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

Since you mentioned Clarke, why, oh why do people believe she is a leader. She is the worst of the worst. 

I'm not sure. I find the writing for her for last two seasons atrocious and nonsensical because they stopped showing her inner life like, in season 2. They make her lie, manipulate and hurt people, even people she supposedly cares about, and that's just not a character I can root for.

• Love 2

I'm kind of curious what stopped Priamfaya 2.0 (or how ever it is spelled) from looping the planet a few times and taking out Clarke's hidden valley on the 2nd or 3rd time.

All the nuclear reactors that melted down that caused this 2nd iteration of world wide disaster just wouldn't stop melting down -- they are going to be throwing off radiation for thousands of years.

And how does Clarke's valley manage to escape from radioactive ash/fallout from the incineration going on all around the valley.  Were the wind patterns always in her favor -- over 5 years ?

9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And how does Clarke's valley manage to escape from radioactive ash/fallout from the incineration going on all around the valley.  Were the wind patterns always in her favor -- over 5 years ?

The answer is "Because reasons". According to The 100 Wondercon 2018 Jason Rothenberg panel mentioned on Reddit:

The show doesn't really go into why the valley survived other than the fact that the deathwave jumped over it. Jason joked that they're "lucky it happens to be within walking distance".

I would've liked to see Clarke wake up in Becca's Lab. That map, shovel, backpack and food supplies all came out of nowhere. I'm also kinda sad they threw away Becca's Lab set after only 9 episodes, which is a record for this show. Praimfaya is obviously magic and works in mysterious ways but it still bothers me that the writers never addressed why her lab which looked like a bunker couldn't function as a one except when it sheltered Clarke. I think a smarter choice would've been to have her run to the Lighthouse Bunker (which hasn't been seen on the inside since 301) and wake up there. I'm sure that bachelor pad had some guns in there too. Maybe if that motorcycle was electric, she could've used that too.

There's no way the sea can just evaporate but what's weird is that they parked Rover 1 at Luna's extraction point which is way down south of where it actually should be. Also how come the desert storm that engulfed the rover with sand didn't do any damage but the one that Clarke ran into (which for some reason also has lightning in it) completely broke the solar panels, which Clarke magically fixed (along with the radio) with no technical knowhow. PS Has anyone else noticed that the solar field that she plotted a course to, isn't actually the one we first see on the map in the beginning of the episode (the one from 214) but is totally new. I've had this theory for a long time that that's what's actually powering the bunker (since everything else makes no sense).

Anyway what I would've done is removed the opening shot that goes through the Go-Sci ring (and reused it in reverse later in the episode) and show Clarke waking up, gathering her surroundings, searching the island for any useful remains (in Becca's house for example) and then traveling the sea by a boat until finding the Rover in some makeshift garage or something. Some of this I blame on 413 but some is on 501.

But the thing that by far bothers me the most about the episode is the clunky Spacekru exposition. I went back and watched those scenes like 30 times to figure out exactly what was wrong with them. The opening scene is definitely the most problematic as it just has too many things happening at (conveniently) once. All the exposition after that fight scene was unnecessary in this episode and obviously felt forced. The rest is much more... fluent I guess. There are some minor annoyances with the Becho scene, which would be better if it was 15-30 seconds shorter to cut down on unnecessary dialogue and exposition.

Reddit is also confused by The 100's science fail and bad continuity.

for second praimfaya, why didnt they split up all the people and go to the lighthouse bunker, ALIEs house, farm station in Azgeda territory,and the tech place near the house where they make nightblood. like there is a lot of places they could fix up to live. and we know the bunker is safe and the tech bunker and the house might not be, but they can patch itup. I am assuming either Becca made the house and tech bunker before the first praimfaya, because in the tech bunker raven figured out that becca needed to go to space to make the blood. so beeca was in that tech bunker before praimfaya, right? and if not then fine, within the 97 years beeca/grounders/ALIE built those two bases, they are high tech, with drone and kitchen appliances and everything. patch it up, like arkadia, or with the wreckage from arkadia, and live there. I don't get it. yeah it wont save everyone but itll save more than without. ????

On 5/4/2020 at 9:03 PM, sandy said:

for second praimfaya, why didnt they split up all the people and go to the lighthouse bunker, ALIEs house, farm station in Azgeda territory,and the tech place near the house where they make nightblood. like there is a lot of places they could fix up to live. and we know the bunker is safe and the tech bunker and the house might not be, but they can patch itup. I am assuming either Becca made the house and tech bunker before the first praimfaya, because in the tech bunker raven figured out that becca needed to go to space to make the blood. so beeca was in that tech bunker before praimfaya, right? and if not then fine, within the 97 years beeca/grounders/ALIE built those two bases, they are high tech, with drone and kitchen appliances and everything. patch it up, like arkadia, or with the wreckage from arkadia, and live there. I don't get it. yeah it wont save everyone but itll save more than without. ????

The actual answer is "to cause plot!" That said, this was addressed in the show:

1. Becca did use her lab/house before the first Praimfaya, but during that Praimfaya she was up in space, not in her lab/house.

2. Becca's lab and house were not built to withstand something on the level of the second Praimfaya. We saw this in the show, when the second Praimfaya destroyed much of that lab/house. And the lab/house didn't provide protection against radiation. While yeah, this probably could have been fixed, if they had time, they didn't - thus all the rushing around. 

3. The lighthouse bunker was very small and could only have accommodated a few people. 

4. More importantly, the lab, house and bunker did not have the space to grow large amounts of food - maybe some small herb gardens here and there, or some vegetables, but not enough to keep people alive for five years. 

As it turned out, even the bunker with the ability to grow food couldn't grow enough food and ran into major supply problems, and everyone up in the Ark complained about the monotony of the diet. 

(Which was a bit odd - we saw people on the Ark eating a somewhat varied diet during season 1, with the strong implication that Farm Station was growing more than just algae. And sure, I think it's safe to assume that most of the seeds on the Ark went down with Farm Station, but some of them 

5. The other places that could have been fixed up were destroyed on screen. Azgeda blew up Mount Weather during season three, and then blew up Farm Station at the start of season four. Illian, from another tribe (Trishanakru, apparently, thanks The 100 wiki!) blew up Arcadia. The other bunker found in the early part of season four was filled with dead bodies which didn't seem sanitary or hopeful. 

So the bunker Wonkru ended up going to was the only one left - at least, the only one left within reach. (I persist in thinking that bunkers must still be around in China and Russia and probably Germany and France and Israel, but that's just me fanwanking. It's never come up on the show.)

With all this said, this did create one of my (many) irritations with this show. Given that Azgeda was personally responsible for destroying facilities that could have sheltered around a thousand or so people (400 to 500 in Mount Weather, 400 to 500 in Farm Station), why on earth were the other Grounders and Skicru giving them equal opportunity access to the last remaining underground bunker? Like - Azgeda, this is at least partly your fault!

On 3/23/2017 at 5:51 AM, piequinn35 said:

Here is the map: http://the100.wikia.com/wiki/Locations?file=LocationsRealLifeMap.jpg

I'm guessing based on google maps that Arkadia to Polis or TonDC is less than 12 hours walking, Arkadia to NJ shore close to Becca's island is less than 5 hours driving.

Of the many, many continuity mysteries for me, one of the greatest is where is this nearby perpetually-snow-covered place that the Ice Nation calls home? There is nothing like that within 1000 km of Washington DC. And before you propose "nuclear winter" or something of that nature, from looking at vegetation and such it seems clear that the climate is warm as ever, or warmer.

And while we are on geography, as usual my biggest pet peeve (coming from someone whose life is spread over four continents), and one that also pops on much better science fiction series like Dark or The Rain: what about the whole rest of the planet? Really, no other humans survived except in the Eastern US? No shepherds in the middle of nowhere in Tristan da Cunha? No researchers in underground bunkers on Svalbard or the Antarctic?