Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

The twitter link of the jeopardy.com board has a Q&A with Ben after his win that made me cry. I don't know how to do links, but it is well worth your going there to watch him.  I don't remember any contestant more humble than Ben...

He is extremely down-to-earth and fun.  As I posted way upthread, I was a one-day champ earlier this year, and before my appearance, Ben and I (and my husband) started a tweeting each other since he was excited to have someone else from SC on the show.  He had great advice for us as my airdate neared, and we've been in touch since then.  His Thursday viewing party was at a local pub and we were thrilled to be invited.  

He's very proud of representing South Carolina, which might not mean much to some, but that stereotype of the "dumb Southerner" is a pervasive one, so I'm glad he is a good representative for our state.  :)  

• Love 2

I was like, "Oh, it's Terry something who wrote 'How Stella Got Her Groove Back,'" but I couldn't come up with her last name. I was drawing a blank on a lot of clues.

Good game. Good tournament.

She was one of my professors in college. It made me sad that none of them got that one right.

It was a good TOC, especially once I realized I really didn't care who won. Apparently, I just like to watch Jeopardy when the contestants are sharp and (most) of the questions are challenging. Are we back to regular games Monday?

Question for people who have been on the show more recently: Do they not have the whole panel of contestants sit in the audience any more? When I was on, we all sat through all the games taped that day. I was on a later game, and it really helped me not be nervous anymore.

Question for people who have been on the show more recently: Do they not have the whole panel of contestants sit in the audience any more? When I was on, we all sat through all the games taped that day. I was on a later game, and it really helped me not be nervous anymore.

They still do.  They only time they don't is for the tournaments.  I was really hoping I wouldn't be picked for the first show because I thought it would be good to watch at least one other show.  Of course, the FJ for that first show was a musical theater question, and musical theater is one of my favorite things in the world.

I think if you're in the first quarterfinal, you can watch all the other QFs, but if you're in the last one, you can't see any of them due to the wildcard slots. But perhaps I'm wrong and you can't watch any of the games. And even though wildcards are no longer a thing in the semis, players might still be unable to watch any matches that occur before theirs because the winning totals matter for Finals podium placement and therefore who gets to pick first in the J! round. These are champs who are most used to the leftmost (to us) spot and getting to pick first.

Yep.  I actually sat through a whole week's worth of shows, waiting for my name to called.  Then I had to come back the next day, and my name was called first.  I have mixed feelings.  I think there were more categories (and definitely some FJs) that were up my alley on day/week one, but I wonder how my nerves would have held up.  

Okay. I had spent a stupid amount of time earlier in the week taking snark shots at Julia, and I must now apologize because I did find her performance in the finals as the only one to exhibit some sort of human warmth.  [but without stirring up shit again, she didn't sound sick in these two games.]

Of the three contestants, I think Arthur exhibited the most impressive depth of knowledge.  Screwing up the daily double in Game 2 made it hard, as was not getting final jeopardy the first game.

Can't really get behind Ben winning because he's the guy who referred to the Civil War as the War Between the States.

It will be weird to go back to just the pedestrian games again :)

I had some old games from the week before ToC on my DVR and I watched them the last day or two.  Oof.

Can't really get behind Ben winning because he's the guy who referred to the Civil War as the War Between the States.

He's from South Carolina.  That's what they call it down there.  At least, now that it's been long enough they can no longer refer to it as "the recent unpleasantness."

• Love 5

That was an awesome TOC, even though I thought the boards were on the easy side.  I'm happy for Ben's win; he played well, and his "aw shucks" style makes it hard to begrudge him anything.

I pretty much think of Terry McMillan as a niche writer, so I wasn't surprised she was a TS even though it was disappointing.  Not as disappointing as the Phyllis Wheatley miss though.  And I know who Channing Tatum is, because he is gorgeous and appears often in media as a gorgeous man, but I haven't seen any of the films that were in his category.  I did know the Magic Mike answer because there was a ton of talk about that when it came out.

I got the Shakespeare/Pericles FJ, and I'm super proud of myself for it even though I wouldn't have had time to write it down in the actual game.  That was a really hard one, and Ben being the only one to get it nicely underlines his victory.

Edited by Lois Sandborne

I think it's a mistake to assume none of them knew Terry McMillan--the clue didn't give them any information about her books, it was basically here's a picture of a writer. So they didn't recognize her *face*. I wouldn't be able to pick most of my favorite writers out of a crowd--it doesn't mean I don't know their books, it just means I don't know their faces. Which is not what they are famous for.

• Love 4

There's a discussion about it here. It might save Sony money, but probably not enough to really make a difference. It also means the show won't invite too many players to the studio. It's probably all about making the show run smoother and avoiding any talk of collusion.

Edited by dcalley

I'm vaguely embarrassed that I knew all the Channing Tatum answers, but I just chalk that up to reading waaaay too much Entertainment Weekly.  At least I can honestly say that I haven't actually seen any of those movies.

I wanted Julia to win because I'd like to see more female TOC winners, but damned if Ben wasn't really impressive.  And more personable than I'd expected once he loosened up.  So, yay Ben!

(I didn't get FJ either.  That's one of those Shakespeare plays that is never produced.)

Me neither, although once Alex gave the correct answer, I recognized it as having been mentioned (but not read) in one of my Shakespeare classes in college.

Really can't believe tonight's FJ was a TS considering I predicted what the correct response was going to be when they revealed the category.

I thought it was Oasis once they mentioned the four members of the Beatles -- since Oasis songs were heavily influenced/inispired by the Beatles.

But the Spice Girls -- give me a break -- and this was based on the opinion of one critic.  That was a terrible clue.

What a pleasant game!  Three very nice contestants, who applauded each other, were fairly knowledgeable and didn't jump around the board!  Even their stories were not bad.

FJ:  I don't know if the timing works out, but my guess was ABBA  (ha ha, I obviously didn't read the answer very well.  Wong decade, wrong country - at least they were a musical group)

Edited by mjc570

I guessed Spice Girls correctly, mainly because the category said it was UK music from the '90's. Then I proceeded to sing "If You Wanna be my Lover".

I knew the many children category would so have a Duggar question/answer. Sadly, I ran the reality show category.

• Love 2

I guessed Milli Vanilli. I missed what I suppose was a hint by listing the names (?) but they weren't British either so clearly they just stuck in my mind and I couldn't get past it.

I love that the contestant got The Mosquito Coast(?) correct. You could almost see the bell go off in his head and he was so happy he got it in time.

At first I thought One Direction, then saw that it was the 90's. I noticed that the clue didn't say "him" or "he," so I turned to female groups and quickly came up with The Spice Girls. I did think it was weird how Alex said "John, Paul, George, and Ringo," like those particular names were significant.

I didn't know Celine Dion was the queen of pop.

My mind went blank on a lot of clues, but I did get The Lost World and Remington, which should be super easy -- sculptor + cowboys = Remington.

• Love 1

The question was worded in such a way that it emphasized the importance of the group in pop culture rather than in music. And while I only remember one Spice Girls song, I do remember that references to the group were everywhere back then. They were definitely a pop culture phenomenon. So FJ was an insta-get for me.

• Love 2

>>One critic called them “a social phenomenon”, “the most widely recognised group …since John, Paul George & Ringo”.<<

I got hung up on the word critic and goofed it up, but I see it now.

Edited by GaryE

I think that's the kind of question that's going to be easy for a pretty specific slice of the population and nearly impossible for anyone else. Too young, and you don't remember the phenomenon. Too old, and you didn't care at the time. Not engaged in pop music or pop culture and you definitely don't care. 

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's a new staff person from Boston? There have been a ton of questions about Boston/MA/New England recently. 

I missed last night's game because I was at the vet with a sick cat, but upon looking at the FJ, I can honestly say I would never have gotten the Spice Girls.  I probably would've guessed Oasis; they would've fit the description better, although I realize the clue was quoting a particular critic - who was obviously smoking something when he/she wrote that about the Spice Girls.

As for the Jeopardy round, I would've run Continental, gotten all but one clue each in Reality Show Titles and That's A Lot Of Kids!, and done okay with the others.  Unfortunately Double Jeopardy isn't up on J! Archive at the moment, so no idea how I would've done with that round.

• Love 1
Wannabe debuted when I was in high school, so FJ was an instaget.  Sometimes it's interesting to see these highbrow contestants respond to a lowbrow question, because a lot of times they don't like it.

Like the reality show category last night, but I was right there with them because most reality shows suck !! For example, on the wrestler with his 'Rock my __' show clue -- I wouldn't have guessed RV in a million years.  

I'll take sick cats for $200.

How's the kitty?

Doing okay, although she really really doesn't like the antibiotic I have to give her twice a day.  Thanks. :-)

For example, on the wrestler with his 'Rock my __' show clue -- I wouldn't have guessed RV in a million years.

Bret Michaels is actually a rock musician, not a wrestler, but although I knew who he is, I still guessed 'van'.

• Love 1

At least he didn't refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression!

Enjoyed getting back to the regular game.  Really liked the guy who won, much more than the two women.  Not sure why.

• Love 1

Sometimes it's interesting to see these highbrow contestants respond to a lowbrow question, because a lot of times they don't like it.

Nothing will ever top the way that girl in the Teen Tournament (I think?) answered "Who is Bella?" for a Twilight question with such complete and utter disdain. It was a thing of beauty.

• Love 6

That was the first thing I thought of upon reading that comment, too.  Classic.  I think the fact it was her first answer of the game added to her disgust, like this was what she'd introduce herself to the competition with.