Type keyword(s) to search

The Real O'Neals - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
23 hours ago, starri said:

He has some moxie.

If moxie = being a douchebag, then yes, Galvin has moxie.

13 hours ago, Bwill3133 said:

I believe Bryan Singer's lawyers got involved in the first apology. Vulture took that part out of their interview. As for the Colton Haynes part, he is free to have his opinion of course but at 22 who made him judge and jury of how it's acceptable how people come out? 

Exactly. Who the fuck is a 22-year-old twerp to tell anyone how they should come out? There are plenty of men and women who don't come until middle age, for whatever reason. The thing is -- it's their decision. The only allowance I'll make is that most 20-somethings are morons.

There was a kid who guested on our show. He was flirting with me so blatantly, to the point where he asked me out a few times. At one point I turned to him and was like, Are you gay? And he was like, Well ... I don't know. I'm more like, go with the flow. And I was like, Shut the fuck up. Get out of my face with your wishy-washy bullshit answer. You're a fucking f*****. Like, I know you are. You know you are. Stop beating around the bush. Just go make out with me in my dressing room.

It also wasn't cool that he practically outed the guest star; I'm pretty sure I know which one. The only time I advocate outing someone is when they're being a hypocrite, such as a lawmaker who's gay and who actively works to oppress gay rights. 

And in practically the same breath condemning Colton Haynes for not coming out as Galvin thinks he should and not being a role model, he then screeches about not wanting to deal with some closeted gay kid who reached out to him on Twitter. You're a role model or you're not, sweetie, but you don't get to take others to task for not being role models when you don't want to either.

About kids reaching out to him about being gay: 

"There are varying levels of severity of these stories. So sometimes it does get really intense. I do have to be very careful about what I respond to and what I don't. I'm learning how to deal with it all ... I'm still figuring out my own bullshit. I've got struggles of my own. I don't have time to be your f—ing soothsayer."

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think they're all a bunch of thin-skinned hypocrites. Some of what he said was over the top, and not exactly tactful, but I don't think it was so terrible that he should have to walk it back. There is some truth to a lot of it, and the rest is just his personal opinion, and there are no doubt many who agree with him but are too obedient to say so.

For ex with the Stonestreet criticism, he was careful not to really blame Stonestreet; I took his comments as being about Modern Family in general, and it's a valid point of view that that show is promoting a one dimensional portrayal (not only of The Gays, but also with Gloria, The Spicy Latina). I don't actually think it's done zero good by slightly opening the extremely shut minds of some, but it could have been a trillion times better if they had given it a less extreme representation.

With the molestation comment, OK, that was harsh. But it was clearly sarcasm, and the guy HAD been accused formally in the past, so it's not like Galvin made the whole thing up at random. I get the desire to bury that kind of thing rather than joke about it, but it's not different than sarcastically saying "sure, we all do X stereotypical horrible thing, that's our community"-- maybe too subtle for bigots to parse, but a totally natural kind of humor that happens all the time among people who don't have a stick up their butts and are not trying to sanitize their humor for the masses.

Overall, I think the kid's critique of casting is probably right, and while his frank and gossipy tone won't win him popularity contests, and it wasn't the best way to play it safe, the guy is not running for class president, he's an actor pushing the boundaries because the boundaries have been shit for queers for a long time and he's tired of it.

I'm sure he's been taken in hand and told he really will get thrown out of the Gainfully Employed Actors Club if he doesn't shut up, but if more people refused to settle for the BS and crumbs currently considered "progress," the world would probably be a better place.

One person's "refreshing" is another person's "challenging" and lots of people hate being challenged, but someone's occasionally got to do it.

Galvin singled out Stonestreet specifically for his portrayal of a gay stereotype, and as he said in the interview, it wasn't the first time he'd done it. He said nothing about the other stereotypical representations on "Modern Family." 

The kid didn't come across as "frank and gossipy"; he came across as bitchy and mean. And if he's so mad at gay stereotypes, there's nothing more stereotypical than the bitchy gay man. I was disappointed to read how he's been planning Kenny's journey to "flamboyance." Yes, because what TV needs is another effeminate gay teenager. And sorry, Noah, I have serious doubts about your ability to "bro down" with your straight brothers after you've been queening it up with your gay friends.

14 hours ago, Christina said:

I think he is a great actor and enjoy Kenny and the entire show, but I'm think I'm not going to be Noah's biggest fan.

I'll be honest. Reading what a dick Galvin really is will impact my enjoyment of the show. I may be inclined not to watch it next season. 

Edited by SmithW6079
Amended to add quote from Galvin re: other gay kids reaching out to him and his distaste for it.
  • Love 7

Colton Haynes responded on The Wrap. In part:

“Let me just clarify, I’ve never met this kid, so for him to judge me without even meeting & having no idea [of] the struggles I’ve been through or where I come from is absolutely uncalled for and quite frankly embarrassing on his part,” Haynes continued.

“Since when is a three pg article in Entertainment Weekly not an appropriate way to come out and since when did he become the judge of what’s appropriate. Shouldn’t we all be supporting each other? Enjoy all of your success. You’re young kid…hopefully you’ll eventually learn a thing or two. Good luck. I’m sure I’ll seeya around.”

and Jay Ferguson, who plays his dad on the show, responded on Twitter:

Jay R. Ferguson Verified account‏@jrfergjr

I made tons of mistakes when I was younger(as we all do),learn from them don't repeat them,@Noahegalvin will do that

I don't object to his opinions, he has a right to them and a right to voice them. It is the way he chose to word his responses which I read referred to as "callous" that I think pushes the limit. He comments about not wanting Kenny to be the caricature that Eric Stonestreet displays, and about how Eric was given the part of a gay man, where he, as a gay man, was passed up for a straight part is completely ignored because of his responses bashing others. It's just immature.

A positive to me, though, is that I now know who Colton is. What a cutie and I don't even care that I'm not his type. I had to give up on Arrow because I couldn't deal with Katie Cassidy's acting and found myself muting too much of the show.

7 hours ago, Christina said:

I don't object to his opinions, he has a right to them and a right to voice them. It is the way he chose to word his responses which I read referred to as "callous" that I think pushes the limit. He comments about not wanting Kenny to be the caricature that Eric Stonestreet displays, and about how Eric was given the part of a gay man, where he, as a gay man, was passed up for a straight part is completely ignored because of his responses bashing others. It's just immature.

He objects to gay stereotypes, yet in the interview, he says how he's planning to make Kenny even more flamboyant. I guess it's OK to be a gay stereotype if it's a gay man doing it.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Christina said:

He comments about not wanting Kenny to be the caricature that Eric Stonestreet displays, and about how Eric was given the part of a gay man, where he, as a gay man, was passed up for a straight part is completely ignored because of his responses bashing others.

I honestly didn't understand his bashing of Stonestreet's portrayal as being stereotypical because there are two gay men in that marriage and the show is actually presenting a range of behaviors. Is it the rule that zero gay men on TV can have effeminate characteristics, because that's not true to life either. Would Noah would have been less offended if Jesse Tyler Ferguson was playing the stereotypical role?

Jay Ferguson no doubt meant well but he should stay out of it in public. That tweet read to me as very condescending.

I also take (small) issue with people calling Noah a kid. He's an adult, although a young one, but I wouldn't attribute any of his comments to not knowing any better because of his age. He certainly should.

I was reading his comments about Eric's character as being a stereotype that is overdone and can be offensive, and was glad Kenny wasn't written that way. I don't think I caught were he said that he was making Kenny more flamboyant on first reading. I did catch it wasn't aired in order of his hair style plan, but in all honesty, I think I had already decided he was a jerk and wasn't paying much attention.

At the end of the day, I think he's very immature and a bit arrogant, and Colton is a cutie.

• Love 1

I think the Singer thing is likely what ruffled the most feathers. Yes, there have been MANY very, very loud rumors and stories about Singer but the fact is none of it has ever been proven, he's never been charged with anything and most importantly, he continues to be a powerful producer/director in the industry. So I'm sure panic set in once the article came out, in a "you can get blackballed from some good shows/roles by pissing off someone with that much power." 

Because the other stuff, I don't think people would have been THAT shocked or outraged. People have been criticizing Eric Stonestreet's portrayal of Cam for years, because Jesse Tyler Ferguson has responded to it many times. Many gay individuals have called the character a stereotype and something of a caricature, so Noah didn't say anything new there. The Colton Hayes thing, well not to sound harsh or be shady but Colton is hardly some huge star himself so the comment might have gotten a few media mentions but that would be it. 

Whether Noah meant everything he said and was simply speaking his mind as he is entitled to, I thought the entire tone of the article came across very try-hard and so what I took from the whole incident is typical newbie mistake - i.e. trying too hard to impress and forgetting that the journalist is NOT your friend. Also, I'd say this latest article today from THR is almost worse for him, as it paints him as "difficult and demanding", a reputation one does not want to have. Just ask Katherine Hiegl. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I wasn't all that offended, but even if I had been-- he's not the first person to say offensive stuff, and people like Alec Baldwin, Mel Gibson, and Woody Allen have thriving careers. All this kid did was criticize a few people in the industry, express frustration at homophobia, the "pink ceiling," stereotypes, and double standards, and make what I thought was a very sarcastic remark about the rumors about Singer (and how gay people are equated with pedophiles in the popular bigoted mind). He didn't go off on a profane and abusive tirade against a child, he didn't spew hate speech, he didn't sexually exploit anyone.

I think the real problem here is that he's a newbie, not a veteran, a gay kid and not a towering white establishment dick. That "entitlement" business is perfectly OK if you are a straight white guy with a track record of profitability, but anyone new or female or minority has to watch their tone and kiss ass.

Again, he wasn't tactful. It wasn't exactly prudent. And maybe he's a brat and they are using this interview as a way to leverage some public pearl clutching to scare him into behaving better in general. But the stuff he said hardly seems like a boycottable, show cancellingly bad kind of offensive. A lot of what he said has been said many times by other people, anyway. The Colton thing seemed weird to me, but no one likes being toyed with (which is what was basically happening with the "not gay, just want to fool around with you" behavior he expressed annoyance with amounts to), and I would bet 90% of the LGBT people on the planet share his feelings about casting and homophobia in the industry.

If he's a diva he should rein it in for the sake of his co-workers, and if he doesn't want to be blacklisted he should be more tactful. But he's not said anything in public that makes him an actual monster.

If they are going to use this as an excuse to stop supporting the show, the network was just getting cold feet about how gay-positive it is, and looking for a scapegoat.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7
(edited)

All of this. Like I said above, I thought the original article made Noah come across as trying way too hard to be "edgy" but I didn't think anything he said was so hateful. The Colton Haynes comment was rude because it is not his place to dictate how a person should come out and the Singer thing was slanderous I guess in the sense that Singer has never been charged with anything. But with regard to the latter, I agree with someone that I thought he was trying to be snarky and referenced something that has been out there because let's face it, the stories and accusations about Singer are very numerous.

And the Stonestreet thing was just his opinion of another actor's performance. So again, stupid and insensitive, sure but some acting like he committed some crime or did something so heinous is a bit much, IMO. As I noted above, the bigger issue may be THR, a reputable magazine, reporting on reports that he's difficult because that is not a reputation he wants so early in his career. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

ABC may be overly sensitive because they took a risk on a family sitcom about a gay person and want it to be as non-threatening as possible to the general public. Won't do to have its star snottily espousing unpopular opinions in print.

Salon takes up for Noah: "Hollywood doesn’t need to silence Noah Galvin. What it really needs is 1,000 more celebrities exactly like him."

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I'm not so bothered by the Stonestreet comments,  I don't actually disagree with him in that regard.   It's his comments about Colton that I find incredibly offensive.   The way he seems to think that just because he started his very short, thus far,  career as an out and proud gay man somehow gives him the right to judge other actors who finally feel comfortable enough to come out.   He doesn't.   And to be quite frank Noah is never going to be up for the same kind of roles that people like Colton or Matthew Bomer, etc.   are auditioning for.  These actors get cast for heroes or love interests to attractive ladies and once an actor comes out he without a doubt risks not getting calls for certain roles while out and proud Noah who was lucky enough to be cast as a lead gay character on a sitcom will still land auditions for the young looking guy,  the dorky friend,  the Jewish hipster.   He needs to sit the fuck down and get over himself. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Delphi said:

And to be quite frank Noah is never going to be up for the same kind of roles that people like Colton or Matthew Bomer, etc.   are auditioning for.

Good point. His face and size already typecast him.

• Love 2
(edited)

My verdict: Noah Galvin didn't just give his opinions; he took cheap shots at Colton Haynes, a fellow gay actor (who, AFAIK, has never done anything to hurt him), made accusations against Bryan Singer that he can't prove and attacked Eric Stonestreet, an actor on Modern Family , another ABC sitcom, basically biting the hand that feeds him and creating a potential PR nightmare for ABC in the process. Haynes' response to Galvin's potshots showed the maturity, sensitivity and class that Galvin clearly lacks. Galvin is entitled to his opinion, just as others are entitled to put him on blast for it. If ABC wanted to keep the show and fire Galvin, I wouldn't blame them. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5

I saw suggestions in comments that they could replace Noah but unpopular opinion perhaps, much as I liked the show, I wouldn't watch without him because great as Plimpton and the whole cast are, Galvin carried that show for me. Again, YMMV. 

• Love 2

I doubt they'd fire him.   He almost immediately apologized and seems to have been reigned in by the network since he's been off social media since it happened.    I also think the chemistry of the cast is what helped the show make it and removing a single member would result in the show changing fundamentally.   I don't want to see anyone else as Kenny but I, especially as a fellow gay man,  cannot simply ignore his comments and act like they don't carry weight. 

• Love 1

There were too many posts I agreed with to quote, but my main objection to Noah Galvin's interview was his criticism of another man's journey to coming out. That is such an individual thing, and no little 22-year-old shit should be blasting others. It's because of the journey of other men before him that he can come out as a gay actor and still have some expectation of a career. And yes, Colton Haynes, Matt Bomer, Neil Patrick Harris will get roles that Galvin will not. For nine years, gay Harris played the very straight Barney on "How I Met Your Mother." Gay Bomer was the straight Neal Caffrey on "White Collar" and the straight stripper in "Magic Mike." Galvin is going to be typecast in "gay" roles.

Someone mentioned he's not a "veteran," except if I recall from the interview, he's been acting since he was a child, so he very much is a "veteran" of show biz. 

I don't think you could do the show without the character. While it's an ensemble cast, it really is Kenny's story. 

I was also disappointed that he's a smoker.

• Love 3

They should fire him and recast the part, it's just been one 13 episode season so far, it wouldn't be such a big deal. Is it a risk? Yes but it's not like this show has Grey's Anatomy ratings, it's a relatively low rated sitcom that wasn't guaranteed a second season at all, unless the ratings improve it'll be on the verge of cancellation anyway, so why not take a risk? Playing it safe makes sense when your show is a hit which this one is not.

5 hours ago, Grischa said:

They should fire him and recast the part, it's just been one 13 episode season so far, it wouldn't be such a big deal. Is it a risk? Yes but it's not like this show has Grey's Anatomy ratings, it's a relatively low rated sitcom that wasn't guaranteed a second season at all, unless the ratings improve it'll be on the verge of cancellation anyway, so why not take a risk? Playing it safe makes sense when your show is a hit which this one is not.

I don't see any reason to recast the part. He made a couple of indiscreet comments in an interview and apologized. Except for this forum, I haven't heard anything about it.

Great episode! The show didn't lose a step over the break and has maybe even gotten a little bit winkier, which is fine with me. Even throwaway lines like Aunt Jodi being invited to model for the mid-end women's boutique and Kenny alerting all the gays to dial it back make me laugh. I'm also enjoying Eileen and VP Murray's lust -- of all the fabrics in all the world ...

• Love 8

All things Kenny, Jimmy, and Shannon, particularly Shannon running a sweatshop, were great.  

But I cant figure out why they circled back to Eileen and the VP after putting it to bed at the end of the prom ep last season.  If they need something for Eileen to do, have her and the sister in law start a business.  

• Love 1

It's funny but I was still sort of on the fence about this show at the end of last season because I felt it was just OK laugh-wise. But after sitting thru a few lackluster sitcoms last night, Real O'Neals seemed genuinely funny and smart by comparison. I loved the fantasy sequence with the gay bat phone and the guest gays. Shannon running the sweat shop was great and so was Jimmy. Not sure how I fell about Eileen and VP Murray but I'll see how it pans out. Overall, the show is either better than I remember, or just better than the other crap I watched last night.

• Love 2

The actor who plays the dad is gorgeous.

This episode was hilarious. I like when all of the kids have plots that intertwine, it makes the show that much more enjoyable. 

• Love 2

Per tvbythenumbers, last night scored the shows best-ever Tuesday airing live+same day numbers.

This is especially good given its going up against legit viewers and demo hit This is Us.

• Love 1

The cast and creators also participated in a Paley Live event last night and based on the twitter reports were as delightful as ever. Only someone as liberal as Martha can make a character like Eileen work and she proved it with her responses.

• Love 1

The show seems to realize it's at its best when the family is all together.  The end where they were the only ones cheering for Jodi just left me warm and fuzzy.  I know a lot of us were speculating that they might write her out this season.  I'm glad they didn't.

I already adore Allison.  I hope she sticks around for a while.

• Love 4

Very funny with the gay bat phone.  I thought it was interesting having an episode dealing with coming out on your terms/time given Noah's brouhaha earlier in the year.   When Kenny told her to go home and come out I cringed because that's terrible advice to give without knowing her home situation, glad Kenny realized it in the end.

• Love 2

Did any one else find it ironic that the whole episode was about coming out and the proper way to do it, only for Kenny to realize he can force his way one others when them come out when this is EXACTLY what the actor that plays Kenny did?  He passed judgement on how other gay actors came out or live their lices

• Love 4

I appreciated the "it's important to stay safe" message because it reminds people who aren't really dealing with this issue themselves that there is a safety issue for those who are. I think sometimes this gets lost in the general media hubbub. It's not all about pride. It's also about survival. Something like 50% of homeless teens are LGBT-- that's no accident.

Also, I love Allison. She doesn't ping any stereotypes for LGBT youth. She's able to challenge Kenny in a friendly way so that he's not going to be the only put upon queer kid in the neighborhood, nor the "sanest" of them all. She's just weird enough to challenge him without becoming a Mary Sue herself. And she's funny. I know the family members are the focus, but I really hope they make Allison a regular on the show.

• Love 6

Loved the gay bat phone. The opening sequence gave me hope that the show might be less restrained this season--it had its charms before, but really seemed to be reeling itself in to stay inoffensive. I would love to see it break out more and be a bit crazier.

Allison is the bomb diggity. Kenny's fantasy for his club was 100% boys, and in walks this bland, secretly fierce girl. She has hidden depths, and it would behoove the show to explore those rather than dick around in the parents' love lives. Although Eileen's inability to control herself around the VP's lycra shorts was pretty great. I'm just not sure what Dad is doing in the house. The divorce adds nothing to the story.

Older brother (sorry, I forget their names) used to be a bad Xerox of Barry Goldberg but he's coming into his own.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Silly Angel said:

Older brother (sorry, I forget their names) used to be a bad Xerox of Barry Goldberg but he's coming into his own.

I don't think that Jimmy has ever been like Barry. They're both kind of dim but Barry is delusional and believes that he's a popular jock and amazing rapper, he has a real cruel/mean streak and bullies his younger brother. Jimmy is genuinely nice and is very supportive and protective of his younger brother and walked away from being an athlete.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Did any one else find it ironic that the whole episode was about coming out and the proper way to do it, only for Kenny to realize he can force his way one others when them come out when this is EXACTLY what the actor that plays Kenny did?  He passed judgement on how other gay actors came out or live their lives

I'll be honest -- reading that interview earlier this year and realizing Noah Galvin was a snot-faced asshole has affected my enjoyment of the show.

• Love 6

I felt like I was coming back to a family that I recognized quite well, even though I hadn't thought about the show for the whole time it was gone.  So I guess the cast did a really good job last year.  I like Alison.  I don't really like Kenny very much.  I hope Frances Conroy comes back for another episode this year, but that her character has changed some way.   I thought Martha Plimpton was overacting in this episode.

9 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'll be honest -- reading that interview earlier this year and realizing Noah Galvin was a snot-faced asshole has affected my enjoyment of the show.

Me too!  Which bums me out.  I'm not usually bothered by that type of thing, I don't need every actor to be Julia-Roberts-likeable -- but I guess I don't want them to come off so aggressively terrible you suspect it would be intolerable to spend two minutes with them either.  That interview stuck with me... he just seemed SO bratty, narcissistic, and unaware.

I hope the effect wears off!  Watching the premiere, the only scenes I could really enjoy were the scenes without Noah Galvin in them. 

• Love 2

I had to go look this up because I was completely oblivious to it. I see where everyone is coming from, but honestly I wasn't that offended by it. While he's certainly no Kenny in real life it's not as if he committed any crimes or anything.

• Love 5
On 10/13/2016 at 5:38 PM, Perfect Xero said:

I don't think that Jimmy has ever been like Barry. They're both kind of dim but Barry is delusional and believes that he's a popular jock and amazing rapper, he has a real cruel/mean streak and bullies his younger brother. Jimmy is genuinely nice and is very supportive and protective of his younger brother and walked away from being an athlete.

Shively and the writers have done a great with Jimmy being dim/naive instead of dumb.

It seems as if every family sitcom since the beginning of time has to have and has had one sibling be "dumb" and that dumbness gets more exagerated as the show progresses.  And its great to not see that on this show.  So far, Speechless and Fat Housewife are also avoiding this cliche, all while having the apparantly network-mandated three kids.

• Love 5
On 2016-10-14 at 8:18 AM, Big Mother said:

I have a sneaky feeling that they actually wrote this plotline as a response to the Noah Galvin scandal. An apology of sorts.

That was my reaction as well.  Keeping in mind it's a moderated hit for the network so for the average person who only watches it but isn't tuned into the news may have thought "that's a nice sentiment, show."  But for those who did read/hear about it, it did feel like a "so...this is how I  apple-gize (tm Alec Baldwin's Trump impression) and we move on."  (And I hope that Noah did learn something from this.)

Outside of this, I liked it, I can never go wrong with RuPaul.

• Love 2

Shively and Galvin continue to be solid gold together, and Shannon's story, particularly Jodie's oneliners, was good too.  

But the VP Murry/Eileen/Pat triangle was painful to watch, and maybe Im projecting but Plimpton seems to know how bad it is and cant hide it.  

The whole episode seemed pretty weak to me after last week's. I'm not sure how long the show can hang on Kenny's insecurities. The only really funny part was Jimmy running through the common area after freaking out the roommate. And I agree the VP Murray/Eileen thing isn't really working anymore. 

I like Eileen and VP Murray -- Clive is a fun character, but I'm also grateful for any sub-plots that aren't about Kenny being gay because that becomes too one-note for me.

The RA was great, and as with most characters on the show, he hit just the right notes of understanding, caring, and being funny. (I looked him up and he was played by Abraham Lim. His IMDB credits start in 2013 but I haven't seen him in anything before. Nice job here, though.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lordonia said:

The RA was great, and as with most characters on the show, he hit just the right notes of understanding, caring, and being funny. (I looked him up and he was played by Abraham Lim.

He was on the second season of The Glee Project.  Obviously, he didn't win.  Cute guy, though.

It continues to be the small moments for me:

Jimmy running away from Freddy Krueger, dropping his bag and then deciding "it's not worth it!"

Allison (yay, she back!) taking off her mouse ears headband so Eileen would recognize her.

Shannon as Clyde Barrow: "No prison can hold me."

Aunt Jodi's Tippi Hedren costume.

That was Noah's head on a dancer's body in some of those shots in the open, right?

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

Not too fond of the implication that gay males being true to themselves means being women, in drag. Or Eilene's repeated instant buzz-kills the minute Kenny starts to relax and enjoy being himself. I like that he laid it on the line that if she keeps it up, she'll wind up driving him away. It's soon time to stop beating that horse.

I really like the song-and-dance numbers. That's really Noah's strength. Fishnet stockings, not so much. And the Tippi Hedren "Birds" costume was so spot on! Allison thinking Eilene wouldn't recognize her with mouse ears isn't all that silly -- a woman in our office had long hair that she kept tied up, and I never knew who she was whenever she let it down!

The way all of the family members love and protect each other is refreshing. I'd watch for that reason alone.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Not too fond of the implication that gay males being true to themselves means being women, in drag.

I think it's more about him being able to let his freak flag fly.  And I don't know that I think doing drag is the same thing as being a woman.