Type keyword(s) to search

I Love Lucy - General Discussion

SPLAIN
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I've also liked Dezi Arnaz' contributions to this show - and not just his innovations in television production.  I've always had a great appreciation for the classic straight men in comedic history, such as Bud Abbot and Dean Martin.  I think Dezi Arnaz fits right in there masterfully.  And even though they were primarily straight men, they were often very funny in their own right.  

Edited by rmontro
spelling
54 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I've also liked Dezi Arnez' contributions to this show - and not just his innovations in television production.  I've always had a great appreciation for the classic straight men in comedic history, such as Bud Abbot and Dean Martin.  I think Dezi Arnez fits right in there masterfully.  And even though they were primarily straight men, they were often very funny in their own right.  

It's Desi Arnaz.

• Love 1

First-Thank you, Mod, for editing the title! ?

I watched another favorite-the one where Lucy pretends to be Ricky's agent and inadvertently gets him released from his contract. What never fails to make me howl is when Ricky takes that statue (after Lucy confesses to what she did) and bends it in his rage-the look on Lucy's face, her cringe and how she curls her body!??. I imagine she was picturing herself as that statue!

Lucille Ball really was great at physical comedy!

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2014 at 11:08 AM, BogoGog24 said:

The show was a lot funnier with Ricky's mispronunciations of things and backward sayings.

According to the writers, one of their basic rules was that Lucy was the only cast member who could poke fun at Ricky's mangled English. They felt that if Lucy alone teased Ricky about his mispronunciations, the audience would realize the affection beneath it, but if everyone else joined in on mocking him it would seem too cruel.

• Love 4

I feel like an idiot. After all these years watching this show, why did not realize the episode of Lucy dancing with Van Johnson in the "hotel" they were staying at is the Same set for Ricky's club?!??‍♀️

It took me seeing it in color to see it?

Speaking of which, Desi really looks haggard in the colorized version. I wonder if CBS will eventually air ALL of them in color??

• Love 1

CBS seems to do these about once a year, and it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of thing.  This one wasn't that great an episode overall, it was one of the Hollywood episodes from later in the series where every episode seemed to revolve around Lucy scheming to meet another celebrity.  The fun is mostly the nostalgia of actually seeing one of these long-gone actors/entertainers still in their prime.  This one also had Fred Mertz creepily gawking at some bathing beauties and referring to them as "chicks" (goes to show how old that expression is!).  It's fun seeing things you would never see on a sitcom today, like Desi smoking an actual lit cigarette poolside in one scene.  The big draw of the episode, though, was the famous Harpo Marx scene, which by itself was worth watching the whole hour.

The selling point of these episodes, though, is the colorized high-def restoration.  I remember a Christmas episode from a few years ago that was done so perfectly you could see every needle on the tree Lucy was decorating as clear as if you were standing right there next to her.  It really looked like they filmed that scene today.  Last night's was kind of hit and miss.  Some scenes looked very modern and new, like the pool scene, while others looked more like an old B&W show that had been colorized.  Still good overall, though.

• Love 3

The really frustrating thing about these prime time colorized specials is the network cuts them. We get edited down versions with little bits chopped out for commercial time. Pisses me off. Look - I know there were fewer commercials back in 1955 than there are now, but for God's sake, considering the trouble CBS goes to to colorize and air these things you'd think they'd air the original, uncut versions. How much would it "cost" them to have fewer commercials? 

• Love 2

They know they can get away with it because people are tuned in to watch and it's their big opportunity to score lots of ad money. But I agree, I hate that they actually cut scenes out just to make room for stupid commercials. 

Desi Arnaz's best moment of the show will always be him telling Little Ricky the story of Little Red Riding Hood in Spanish. "Granmama feeling lousy!"

I needed a bit of a mood lift today and this is what I went for, one of my favorite sitcom moments. From any era!

\

• Love 5
On 8/12/2017 at 8:05 AM, Scarlett45 said:

This is a good one. 

And it gave us a chance to see Desi do something really silly and funny and decidedly physical, which was rare considering that he was usually Lucy's straight man.  He really was underrated and underappreciated as a comedic actor and as an actor in general, in my opinion.

• Love 4
On 5/7/2017 at 2:22 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Lucille Ball may have been close to 40, but Lucy was almost 30, per an earlier episode where Lucy made a bet to always tell the truth. In that episode, she was asked her real age and she said "29," I think.

You're four years off.  Lucy admitted to being 33 in that episode (which is one of my favorites; the other two questions she was asked were "How much do you weigh?"["129"] and "What color would your hair be if you didn't dye it?" ["Mousy brown"]). She also said in the episode a couple of years later where she couldn't get a copy of her birth certificate that she was born in 1921, which would have made her 35 at that time.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3

I heard this commercial once or, maybe, twice before it hit me that this is a song that Desi does in one of the shows - which one I can’t place, but I know it was a good one because I thought this was one of his better numbers (although I am one who actually enjoys hearing the songs).  Anyone remember? I’ll try to research. 

Edited by OneWouldHope
22 hours ago, OneWouldHope said:

Sorry, not sure how to edit: it was when Ricky’s young dance partner came to the US and Lucy wanted to get rid of her.

Awesome! I've seen that commercial a lot too and I was sure I knew that song from somewhere. Not in a MILLION years would I have thought of I Love Lucy!

I just finished watching the Christmas special.  It's the first time I've ever seen that Christmas episode, and I have to say that it was a great choice of clips for the flashbacks showing how Lucy finally announced her pregnancy to Ricky (I always know to have Kleenexes handy whenever I see that scene!) and the hell that breaks loose when Lucy finally announces that it's time to go to the hospital.  And yes, the Don Loper fashion show was an excellent choice to colorize.  I have to say, the colorization technology has really advanced over the past 30 years -- it looked so natural to me that I honestly wouldn't have known the difference if I hadn't grown up with the black-and-white episodes!

• Love 3

This is the second time I’ve seen the Christmas episode, and I don’t recall it being a clip show! I need to go back and watch- yes, I saved it on my dvr when it aired last year! But I agree that those dresses were GORGEOUS! Well except for the tweed. ? 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This is the second time I’ve seen the Christmas episode, and I don’t recall it being a clip show! I need to go back and watch- yes, I saved it on my dvr when it aired last year! But I agree that those dresses were GORGEOUS! Well except for the tweed. ? 

Yes, that tweed suit looked as hideous as it looked uncomfortable. And knowing now what I know about Don Loper (namely, that he was gay, and apparently openly so) I CAN see some subtle hints about his sexuality in some of his mannerisms -- but only because I was watching for them.  I still say that Sheila MacRae was wrong when she claimed years later that it was the first time that an openly gay person had been featured on the show, because most people simply wouldn't have picked up on it.  It's not "groundbreaking" to feature an openly gay person if nobody knows that's what you're doing!

• Love 1
On 12/25/2017 at 11:08 AM, legaleagle53 said:

Yes, that tweed suit looked as hideous as it looked uncomfortable. And knowing now what I know about Don Loper (namely, that he was gay, and apparently openly so) I CAN see some subtle hints about his sexuality in some of his mannerisms -- but only because I was watching for them.  I still say that Sheila MacRae was wrong when she claimed years later that it was the first time that an openly gay person had been featured on the show, because most people simply wouldn't have picked up on it.  It's not "groundbreaking" to feature an openly gay person if nobody knows that's what you're doing!

Oh good! I thought I was the only one that thought that dress was hideous. I was trying to be tactful. I'm wondering WHY Loper would have Lucy wear that outfit, instead of something else. Because it didn't need altering? I was just so loving all the "darlings" that he was saying (and wasn't sure if that was scripted or how he actually spoke), that it never occurred to me that he was gay; I never knew that he was. And it's not like I wouldn't have learned or heard, since I've read about Rock Hudson and Raymond Burr. 

And PHOOEY!!!! I went back to my saved specials and realized I only have the John Wayne episode, the stealing of his footprints, Van Johnson, Harpo and "Lucy is Enciente." And then I remembered, I'd forgotten to set my dvr for the Christmas Special and watched it on demand. I KNOW that that it wasn't a clip show--the one where all of them are Santa, and the real one shows up. I just wonder if, during the course of the series, like maybe the last Christmas before they moved to Connecticut, they decided to make it a clip show. I'm hoping the full series set I got, will have that (I think it does), so I'll know what they cut from the "original" for the clip show version we got.

And like you @legaleagle53, I ALWAYS cry when Ricky realizes he's the one who's going to be a father, and he sings that song; especially the last scene when Desi lowers his head and kisses Lucille's neck. I've said it before and I'll say it again: No one will ever convince me that that was them acting. It always comes off as the actual feelings and reactions of Desi and Lucille, not Ricky and Lucy.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

I hate the colorized versions of the show. I saw my first Lucy rerun when I was 4 and it quickly became my favorite show. I loved it so much that my mom's friends called me The Maharincess of Franistan my entire life.  I love the black and white. 

I just can't get used to seeing it in color. When the Christmas episode airs on TV, I get my DVD out and watch the black and white classic version instead. The colors just look too fake and I just can't get used to it. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, BogoGog24 said:

The thing I’ve never liked about the colorized versions is that her hair looks orange, unless that’s how it looked in real life.

Well, redheads aren't called "carrot-tops" for nothing, you know!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

The thing I’ve never liked about the colorized versions is that her hair looks orange, unless that’s how it looked in real life.

That’s the only thing I don’t like about the updated colorized shows. Otherwise I don’t mind it as they are much better than the first attempts which made them look greenish/septia toned.

2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Well, redheads aren't called "carrot-tops" for nothing, you know!

TRUE!!??? although in their home movies, Lucille’s hair was a darker red and not so bright.

Of course it’s my preference to watch these in Black and White, but as @legaleagle53 posted above, in color, we got to see how gorgeous most of the dresses in ”The Fashion Show” are. EXCEPT for that tweed-that was hideous.

• Love 2
On 7/15/2015 at 9:40 AM, TattleTeeny said:

"For corn's sake." 

YES!! I was just going to post this!! Fred and his "Oh for corn sake"! I say that sometimes, and people who aren't familiar with I love Lucy look at me funny!  I also like how Fred calls Ethel "Honey Bunch" and I call my Friends that sometimes! 

On 6/7/2014 at 12:56 PM, LucyEth said:

Cuban Pete/Sally Sweet, everything goes chick chickie boom from the episode "The Diet". Also, California Here I Come and  from a CT episode "That's right the woman is UM smarter".  Another good one is Tennessee Ernie Ford and his 4 hot chicken pickers, "Y'all come and see us".

I thought Cuban Pete was really cool! Every time I see that ep. it stays in my head and I find myself singing it for hours later! 

On 4/24/2014 at 1:36 PM, Catlyn said:

Early this morning was the "Friendship" duet with Lucy and Ethel. While not their musical best, it's one of my favorites. The actions and facial expressions are priceless.

I liked it too! "You said you would return the dress, you said YOU would"! LOL!! 

3372445e41b65d374f6564e2d838ddb5.jpg

That a very frail elderly neighbor lady  (Mrs. Trumball) will be able / have the strength to  babysit an infant/toddler/ little boy at any time with only a few minutes notice !

mrs-trumbull.jpg

Edited by Max fan
On 4/3/2014 at 6:43 PM, Badger said:

One of my favorites is the one where Lucy buys hostess pants for Fred to give to Ethel for her birthday.  Better known as "the checkerboard britches."  

Lucy : " They are chic hostess pants, the kind you wear when you give smart dinner parties."

Ethel : "Oh, I've been wondering what to wear to all those smart dinner parties I give".

Lucy: Well, now, wait a minute, Ethel! Look- you get yourself a little black, off-the-shoulder blouse and a big crushy belt and little ballet slippers, and you're all set!

Ethel: What for? Halloween?

60151653?region=US&size=600x400

• Love 1
On 4/5/2014 at 1:26 PM, Charlie Baker said:

Hello, fellow Lucy-ites!  My favorite episodes tend to vary a lot, then come back around to the same ones.  Right now I think my number one would be "Lucy's Italian's Movie."  It's just so well structured, start to finish, has very sharp and funny dialogue, and incorporates a classic bit very organically into the story (something other eps with classic shtick didn't do as well).

Too bad there was SO much editing when CBS showed the colorized version along with the Christmas show.

"Ingrid Bergman it ain't!"

"Bring me a large pizza."

PS Also love "The Operetta."  Ethel switching from operatic ingenue to brassy belter always cracks me up.

lucille-ball-teresa-tirelli.jpg

On 1/27/2018 at 3:35 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

BOO! I just realized MeTV took the show off its schedule and replaced it with Gomer Pyle. UGH. ???????

I'm upset that  METV took it off Sunday afternoons  ! I loved seeing Lucy between 4-5!!  

58 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's not that they took it off Sundays. The bigger and more upsetting point is, they took it off their site ENTIRELY.

I know! I can't believe they aren't showing it at all. The reason I specifically mentioned Sundays was because that was the only day I could watch it. I work on Sundays   , and I would just be getting home right before 4, in time to see I love Lucy, it was a comfort watching after working, Something I looked forward to! 

' s

I've been watching episodes on Hallmark every day for awhile.  I just realized that I don't like the Hollywood episodes....I love the ones leading up to the trip and the trip there,  but the encounters with the stars no longer interest me.  I've never liked the European episodes.  I prefer the Ricardos and Mertzs in NY....although I do like the CT episodes.

I just finished reading the best book on the show.  The Complete Picture History Of The Most Popular TV Show Ever.  The seller included 2 - 8 x 10 pictures of Lucy......one from the Vitameatavegamin commercial.  One thing I never knew, was that Lucille Ball didn't use her normal voice.....she made it much higher.  It shows how great she was, as I never noticed her lose the high pitch.  I did notice her voice was a bit lower in one of the first episodes.  What a success story they were, but according to the book, Ricky became very insecure that Lucy received much of the recognition for their show...which led to him drinking so much.  While interesting, I kind of hate I know details like this now.  I prefer to believe they lived happily ever after.  ??

On 2/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, ButterQueen said:

What a success story they were, but according to the book, Ricky became very insecure that Lucy received much of the recognition for their show...which led to him drinking so much.  While interesting, I kind of hate I know details like this now.  I prefer to believe they lived happily ever after.

Do you mean Desi and Lucille? Because she was the bigger star. But she fought to have him play Ricky to her Lucy.  And it was his womanizing and cheating that led to the end of their marriage, though Lucille has said she continued to love him. Desi was a smart businessman and it's to his credit of using multi cameras, I think. Then there's "Desilu Productions." Both he and Lucille worked together with that.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Do you mean Desi and Lucille? Because she was the bigger star. But she fought to have him play Ricky to her Lucy.  And it was his womanizing and cheating that led to the end of their marriage, though Lucille has said she continued to love him. Desi was a smart businessman and it's to his credit of using multi cameras, I think. Then there's "Desilu Productions." Both he and Lucille worked together with that.

Well, yes.  ??

(edited)

Interesting video. I didn't know Karl Freund, the cinematographer of I Love Lucy who created the lighting style for three camera sitcoms, which is used to this day, had also been the cinematographer for Metropolis and Dracula!

Edited by VCRTracking
On 1/28/2018 at 11:07 PM, Max fan said:

That a very frail elderly neighbor lady  (Mrs. Trumball) will be able / have the strength to  babysit an infant/toddler/ little boy at any time with only a few minutes notice !

mrs-trumbull.jpg

Don't kid yourself -- those old broads are tough

• Love 2