Type keyword(s) to search

I Love Lucy - General Discussion

SPLAIN
  • Start Topic

Call me silly, but I really love the music "number" they all did on the way to Hollywood, and drove through Bent Fork, and in order to get out of jail, had to perform!

Don't know the name of the song, but loved and always laugh at the refrain:

"Y'all Come."

That was from the episode where Cousin Ernie visits them in New York.  In order to get bus fare home, he signs them up to appear on Millikan's Chicken-Mash Hour.  On the Hollywood trip episode, they do a square dance.

• Love 1

I love the colorized Christmas episode and cannot wait for the Candy Factory in color too.  They are also going to show some extra scenes not shown as well too.  I love Hallmark's Christmas movies but I have to admit I miss I Love Lucy to watch.  Glad for Hulu this time of year.

I own the box set but still love when this comes on TV,especially in color! The episode where Lucy is going into labor and everyone practices what to do cracks me up every time! "The time has come!" Said by Ricky poignantly with his finger in the air, good stuff :)

ETA: the last 30 seconds was great! They both looked so young and happy and in love!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 1

In the "Lucy's Schedule" episode, there is a "flub" I have never seen mentioned anywhere - Lucy misses one of the bread rolls as she, Ethel, and the boss's wife are tossing them to each other.  Since the show was filmed live, the missed catch isn't some horrible thing (hence, putting "flub" in quotes).  The impressive thing is how Lucy acts as though she caught it.  Unless you happen to notice one of the rolls go past her (as one of my kids did years ago), you would never realize one was missed - there is nothing in Lucy's actions that would make you think she didn't catch it.  

She was quite an amazing actress.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 4

I've been bingewatching this show from Hallmark.  (For some reason, my dvr doesn't want to record it on MeTV anymore. Need to call my cable company about that). I don't really like Hallmark, because it edits out a LOT more stuff, than MeTV does. But, it's I Love Lucy!

Anyhoo, into Season Two, and Lucy is Enciente was on from last week, I'm sure (I've got about 30 episodes queued up), and yep, I cried again during the last five minutes, when Ricky saw Lucy as he was singing Rock a Bye Baby, said hello to her, and Lucy was nodding yes with tears in her eyes and smiling. And oh my...those last five seconds....as Lucille bends her head down and Desi rests his head against her neck...

Me: SOB.

So, so beautiful.

• Love 4

I've been bingewatching this show from Hallmark.  (For some reason, my dvr doesn't want to record it on MeTV anymore. Need to call my cable company about that). I don't really like Hallmark, because it edits out a LOT more stuff, than MeTV does. But, it's I Love Lucy!

Anyhoo, into Season Two, and Lucy is Enciente was on from last week, I'm sure (I've got about 30 episodes queued up), and yep, I cried again during the last five minutes, when Ricky saw Lucy as he was singing Rock a Bye Baby, said hello to her, and Lucy was nodding yes with tears in her eyes and smiling. And oh my...those last five seconds....as Lucille bends her head down and Desi rests his head against her neck...

Me: SOB.

So, so beautiful.

I learned a long time ago NEVER to watch that episode without having a box of Kleenexes handy.  I'll bet there wasn't a dry eye in the studio that night, either!

• Love 3

I love the William Holden episode andvthe Albuquerque visit. Another one that makes me double up with laughter is the one where Lucy learns golf from Jimmy Demaret. You can catch it on Youtube. They trick Fred and Ricky by doing silly moves like a hop skip and a jump Before hitting the ball.

I just love Lucy all the time.

• Love 3

Yes, the golfing episode is hilarious. The insane rules that Fred and Ricky dream up are just comedy gold. I think that may actually be one of the most underrated/least talked about episodes of the show. Everyone always mentions the classics as favorites (the candy factory episode, Lucy gives birth to Little Ricky, etc.) but I never hear the golfing one mentioned. 

• Love 1

I love the Golfing episode as well! The Birdie bit where Ethel holds on to the club and flaps her elbows while whistling like a bird never fails to get me going.

Another favorite of mine which I watched today was the one where Ricky gets his eyes examined and it turns out Lucy can't see and gets her eyes dilated, with King Cat Sam and the jitterbug! I love the dancing in this episode. Lucy might not have been able to sing but if given enough practice time she proved several times that she did have talent enough to be in Ricky's shows.

I own the box set but I've been recording the episodes from Hallmark and I watch them while I run in the morning. It's a great way to get my day started. A nice run and a good laugh.

On a side note, I'm still waiting to have a baby girl (I have two boys) so I can name her Vivian Lucille, I'm that big of a fan and my husband is fine with that :)

• Love 5

I just saw this statue on The Soup.  W...T....F?!?!   Why would anyone trust someone who was enough of a hack to create this piece of garbage...much less have the balls to actually put it forth to be on display to fix it?  

• Love 1
(edited)

All the main actors were assholes startin with lucy!!! She was the biggest illuminati asshole!! She taught america how to lie, cheat, steal, plot, scheme, witchcraft, manipulate, busybody, feminism, rebelliousness, half-truths!!!

She made vivian vance remain fat for the entire run of the show, and this is why desi dogged her out with all those other women, her own fault for her own bullshit!! This is what I learned.

Edited by skyy1985
(edited)

Following the  media attention given to the recent Mayweather/Pacquiao business, (and how much of a niche interest it had become in recent decades)  watching ILL made me realize of how popular boxing was as a spectator sport sixty years ago.

I think  it came up in conversation or as a plot point at least as often as baseball - if not more so. If watching professional football or hockey were even mentioned, I don't recall it

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 1

If anyone ever says "this is it" I always say Oh is the baby coming? Then I crack myself up. The Time Has Come!

TudorPrince and I both use "You've got some 'splainin to do" surprisingly often, as well as "What thin' do you mean?"

And I have actually found occasion to use "I'm not a Maharincess! I'm a henna rinsess!"

There is a poster here in Previously TV named Maharincess! It has to be a lucy reference

TudorPrince and I both use "You've got some 'splainin to do" surprisingly often, as well as "What thin' do you mean?"

I think those two (especially the first one) have been used by a lot of fans in the past 60 years or so.

The one other I bet a lot of people use is "Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucy".  Not because they KNOW a Lucy, but because I've heard people do it just as something they say to ANYONE who's habitually mischievous/gets themselves in trouble constantly.

I've also seen/heard people ape the Lucy "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

This was something I hadn't really paid much attention to in my first thousand viewings of the series but I very much liked the fact that Ricky Ricardo was such an involved father. And not just when it involved Little Ricky inheriting his drumming skills and the two playing together. He gave up a week's vacation to spend time with his son when he was an infant, took care of him otherwise, participated in nursery and elementary school productions, and was clearly the little fellow's moral authority on issues like sharing and being kind to others.

• Love 5

Thoughts? For me Lucille Ball is just one of those iconic people that I can't envision anyone but her being her. Cate Blanchett wouldn't have been the first person to pop into my mind to portray her. Still, I'll watch this and I'm hopeful it will be decent since the kids are involved as well.

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/46988/20150903/lucille-ball-biopic-cate-blanchett-star-love-lucy-aaron-sorkin.htm

I'm with you, Mountainair. For me, I can only see Lucille as, well, Lucille and Lucy.  Those commercials on Cozi with all those "Lucy" impersonators bug me to no end.  That said, I find it interesting that Lucie and Desi, Jr. approved a Brit to play Lucille.  I like Blanchette, and I hope she can make me believe she's Lucille.  But having read this and who was chosen, brings to mind: "forewarned is forearmed.".  In other words, I'll be sure NOT to read any comments about this or future articles because just as with the casting of Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, the trolls will come out about how someone who is not an American will be playing Lucille Ball, who was American. Plus all the other stuff about "money, money, money..."

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Yeah, I don't know what to think about this. A great actress can still be miscast, and I'm wondering if that will be the case here. I can see CB playing the serious businesswoman side of Lucy, but I'm skeptical about her reenacting one of her comedy bits. Pulling off comedy and drama all at once is VERY hard--and Lucy herself would practice every gag she had to do endlessly until she felt it was right--about the only time she ever improvised was in the Bill Holden episode, where Lucy spills water on her nose so her face doesn't catch on fire. I'm really going to have to wait and see here.

Lucie Arnaz is on record as saying she HATED the TV movie that starred Frances Fisher as Lucy (and Maurice Benard --Sonny on GH--as Desi), so I'm curious as to how she and her brother will portray her parents. I personally have never seen the first TV movie, but I kind of want to.

Also, Debra Messing must be PISSED she wasn't cast, LOL! She IDOLIZES Lucy.

My mind is fuzzy, but I remember the Frances Fisher biopic--that more often than not, Lucille came off as very needy and pathetic--when it came to Desi and his philandering.

And Bernard with his penchant for stuttering when playing Sonny on General Hospital, did the same when playing Desi.

I remember the movie starting with Fisher's Lucille getting ready to shoot the first episode of I Love Lucy...and the rest was all a flashback...and the first scene with that was of Lucille being a tough broad, who had just been in a fight with a co-star? I can't recall, exactly.  But there was none of the I Love Lucy stuff, because this biopic was Lucille Ball's life and rocky marriage with Desi that led up to the show as a last effort to keep their marriage together.  According to the movie.

I don't doubt that Blanchette can carry off an American accent. Like UYI posted above, if they show Lucille preparing for I Love Lucy, or show some of the show with Blanchette playing Lucy, will she be able to carry off and do the physical comedy and be a believable Lucy.  Or will this biopic, like the original, be her life BEFORE I Love Lucy?

According to the movie. Lucie Arnaz is on record as saying she HATED the TV movie that starred Frances Fisher as Lucy (and Maurice Benard --Sonny on GH--as Desi)[.]

My mind is fuzzy, but I remember the Frances Fisher biopic--that more often than not, Lucille came off as very needy and pathetic--when it came to Desi and his philandering.

And Bernard with his penchant for stuttering when playing Sonny on General Hospital, did the same when playing Desi.

That is exactly why Lucie hated that movie -- she felt that emphasizing her parents' marital problems and Desi's constant philandering was doing a grave injustice to their memory because it more or less dragged their names through the mud.  In other words, she felt that it was an insulting tabloid version of her parents' relationship.  This new biopic will probably downplay that aspect of their lives and concentrate more on the story behind the show and the happier moments in the family's life.

Wasn't there a second behind-the-scenes movie that picked up with the show years?  I never saw it, but I seem to remember a promo for it that showed a scene of Lucy doing the famous grape-stomping episode.

Edited by legaleagle53

I don't want to see anyone but Lucy do the grape stomping scene or any other iconic bit.  I hope they don't focus on re-doing perfection but on the people behind the those bits.  I'm fascinated by how Desi and Lucy supported each other after the divorce - he even lived in her guest house for a while while she was remarried.  That's something I'd like to watch.

• Love 1

She's done more than decent American accents in a number of films. So that doesn't sink her for me. She's a very gifted actress, but can she capture that lightning in the bottle that characterized Lucille Ball's career and popularity? And will there be the necessary chemistry with whoever plays Desi? I'm wary, but may give it a shot.

If anyone ever says "this is it" I always say Oh is the baby coming? Then I crack myself up. The Time Has Come!

There is a poster here in Previously TV named Maharincess! It has to be a lucy reference

It sure is!! I'm a grandma now but have loved Lucy since I was a kid. My mom's friends called me Miss Magilicuddy when I was a kid.

We use "The time has come" in a Ricky voice any time we have to leave the house.

• Love 1

Was this the first year they colorized the flashback scenes in the Christmas episode?  I know at least the first time it aired they were in B&W and only the Christmas scenes were colorized.  Also, does anyone know why the Christmas episode isn't included in the syndication package?

It looks like these ILL Christmas specials have been popular enough that now The Andy Griffith Show is getting the same treatment.  Friday they'll be showing colorized versions of the Christmas episode and the pickle episode.  I'm not sure colorizing the TAGS episodes will have the same impact since several seasons of that show were broadcast in color already.

• Love 1