Type keyword(s) to search

I Love Lucy - General Discussion

SPLAIN
  • Start Topic

Early this morning was the "Friendship" duet with Lucy and Ethel. While not their musical best, it's one of my favorites. The actions and facial expressions are priceless.

• Love 3

Kind of an obscure one, but Fred sings "Melancholy Baby" in one of the hour long shows.  And he does it beautifully--maybe because William Frawley has been credited with introducing that song when he was a vaudeville song and dance man.

Also love the Cuban visit one with both Rickys performing.

• Love 2
(edited)

One of my favorite episodes is the one about Lucy not being able to go 24 hours without telling a lie. Most of the episode is hilarious, but the last scene is not up to par (Lucy & the carnival knife-thrower). I remember reading once that the reason for the lack of flow is that the original (different) ending had to be rewritten in a hurry, but I can't remember the reason. Anyone?

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 1
(edited)
Badger, on 14 Apr 2014 - 9:16 PM, said:

Lucy and Desi's marriage was pretty much over by the time the hourlong shows were made.    

ElleryAnne, on 14 Apr 2014 - 4:44 PM, said:

I saw them a couple of years ago, BogoGog24.  I wasn't really a fan of them.  I love the half-hour episodes, but the hour-long ones don't have the same zing.  They have some isolated good moments, but it seemed like Ms. Ball's heart wasn't in it anymore.  

I had never seen the 1 hour long special episodes until a few years ago. A couple of them were interesting, but they definitely had a different feel to them. Most were meh, but one made me emotionally upset. I'm not sure of the episode name. It might be His Girl Friday or something like that. Lucy gets a job working for some guy and becomes the female side-kick on a television show. She suddenly has a job that takes her away from home, away from her son, away from her friends, and especially away from Ricky.

She "hires" Ethel to take care of little Ricky and her home. Lucy hardly sees her son anymore and Ethel is his "new mother", Lucy says. As an episode, that was a very real subject to bring to the camera at that time. We didn't see those "real life" subjects much back then. It was true about Lucy's personal life as well since she was working so much she had to have a nanny to take care of her children. I have seen a few videos and photos of their family having a good time at their home in the pool and vacations. But, it makes me wonder how much of that was for show or did she have a close family when her children were growing up.

Lucy's at work so much she never sees hubby Ricky anymore. The scene where they meet in the train station to talk for a few minutes makes me cry. Lucy and Desi were probably divorced at that time so it was like watching them meet again estranged but are polite to each other. It's a reminder that what they had was gone. That scene is so emotional and I cried so hard. I SO wanted them to get back together in real life and remarry. Of course, I remembered that they've all been dead for a long time now. It's just that I loved them on IIL so much that I wanted them to have that happily ever after together. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that. But, we know that they never got back together as husband and wife. They were good friends though and still cared about each other.

I KNEW I'd get emotional talking about this. Their sitcom always puts me in a good mood or I at least feel better for having watched. The hour long shows reminded me of what was gone and made me cry. I will probably never watch those hour long shows again. I'll always watch I Love Lucy though.

Edited by SunShine Gal
  • Love 3

Gemma Violet -- if I recall correctly, it had to do with Ricky falsifying something (probably minor) to the IRS, and Desi didn't want Ricky to lose any integrity, thought better of it, so he insisted it be changed.  And he was the executive producer, after all.

That episode is a favorite of mine, too, underrated to be sure.

"She really told him, huh, Tightwad?"

"You said it, Tacky!"

• Love 1
(edited)

The episode where Lucy dances and sings with Van Johnson is one of my favorites.

Another favorite "singing" moment, was in the episode where Lucy hires Mr. Livermore to tutor them in proper English. After the lesson, the guy whips out a song he composed.

MR. LIVERMORE:  "I tippy-tippy-toe through my garden, where all the pretty flowers dwell. There’s a rare perfume in my garden, and I just love to stand there and smell. And as I tippy-tippy-toe along... all the pretty flowers seem to sing this song---"

RICKY: "Derry down pip pip."
LUCY: "Dilly dilly day."
ETHEL: "Hey nani nani."
FRED: "Rippity pippity ay."

FRED: "Derry down ding dong."
ETHEL: "Dilly dilly do."
LUCY: "Hey nani nani."
RICKY: "Rippity pippity poo."

RICKY: "That's all brother!"

Edited by SunShine Gal
  • Love 4
(edited)
Gemma Violet -- if I recall correctly, it had to do with Ricky falsifying something (probably minor) to the IRS, and Desi didn't want Ricky to lose any integrity, thought better of it, so he insisted it be changed.  And he was the executive producer, after all.

Thanks, Charlie Baker.  That sounds familiar, now that you say it.  

Edited by Gemma Violet

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Please feel free to start new topics for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, small talk, etc.

I did not purchase the bluray set- it's $60 on Amazon. The picture is much clearer, according to reviews, but other than that I don't see what's worth buying about it. It may include a couple features not included on the original release, but I would have to read the reviews more carefully to find that out. Either way, $60 for one set doesn't seem at all worth it, even if the picture quality is better.

I just saw the job switching episode.  One of my all-time favorite lines is from that episode when Ricky asks Fred, "What do you know about rice?"  and Fred responds, "Well, I had it thrown at me on one of the darkest days of my life."  

• Love 7

I love to watch the episodes on Hallmark in the morning as I am getting ready for work (or accurately laying in bed forcing myself to get up!) and this saturday morning I caught the "Carlata Romero" episode- Ricky makes up an old flame Carlata to make Lucy jealous, but it turns out that he did know a woman by that name many years ago in Cuba, she comes to NYC to visit and she is older and has put on weight and all of a sudden Lucy's jealousies disappear. It IS a funny moment in the show, but I am sure Lucille, in her long marriage to Desi who cheated consistently probably knew that relative attractiveness doesn't mean a husband who wants to cheat won't cheat. The most beautiful women in the world are cheated on with random women all the time. I do often think how Lucille felt that they were always putting Lucy in these positions questioning Ricky's fidelity. 

• Love 3

I liked how, regardless of how bitterly Lucyfelt about Desi's contribution re the state of their marriage and its end, Lucy ALWAYS vigorously touted how vital his contributions were to the show's existence much less  the success of the individual episode.

• Love 1

My favorite episode is "Lucy's Italian Movie". (as everyone who knew me on TWoP knows all too well!). I acknowledge that big chunks of the setup don't make much sense, but the vineyard sequences alone (and the tag scene of her returning to the hotel) will always have a very special place in my heart.

• Love 1

I recall watching a special about Lucy and Desi years ago where someone mentioned how during the filming of The Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour episode where they visit Japan, things between Lucy and Desi were at the end and the makeup artist had to keep reapplying white face paint to Lucy in her geisha girl costume because she kept crying so much. I had seen that particular episode a few times, but ever since then I cannot bring myself to watch it after knowing that little information.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Hollywood episodes played over the weekend.  I never did figure out how the Mertz's hotel room was paid for.  Would Ricky's studio pay for several weeks of hotel fees for Ricky's friends?  I think not.  Such a big to do about Fred not wanting to pay for transportation to and from NY, and yet nothing was ever said about the hotel.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 2

I've also wondered all these years about the Mertz's room.  What could the price have been in 1954?  That was a classy hotel.  Maybe $50 a night is the same as $400 a night now.

• Love 1

I cannot get enough of this show.  I do LOVE Lucy!  LOL  Connecticut and Europe are not my favorite episodes though.  I love the original apartment, the move to the bigger apartment, and even California.  Love Pioneer Women, Lucy Is Enciente, and Youn Fans...keep jiggling Peggy, keep jiggling!!

• Love 1

Maybe the Mertzes paid for the room out of their savings. That doesn't seem very likely considering that Fred is a penny pincher, but it could be possible that he decided to pay for it since it was the experience of a lifetime. If not, then I guess it was just a plot hole. Or maybe Ricky's studio did, in fact, agree to pay for the hotel room since Ricky was the star of their picture and they agreed to give him whatever he asked for.

• Love 1

HyeChaps:  I've also wondered all these years about the Mertz's room.  What could the price have been in 1954?  That was a classy hotel.  Maybe $50 a night is the same as $400 a night now.

The American Hotel & Lodging Association website has a "History of Lodging" page at http://www.ahla.com/content.aspx?id=4072 which gives "Average room rate" in 1950 as $5.91 and in 1960 as $10.81.  This is when the "typical motel" of 1950 was 17 rooms and the "typical hotel" of 1960 was 39 rooms, independent, and locally owned.

This isn't very helpful for the kind of luxury hotel suites the Ricardos and Mertzes had.  If your local library has newspapers from the '50s (most likely on microfilm), ads for hotels might have rates.  Ads in old newspapers are a lot of fun anyway ;-)

• Love 1
the filming of The Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour episode where they visit Japan, things between Lucy and Desi were at the end and the makeup artist had to keep reapplying white face paint to Lucy in her geisha girl costume because she kept crying so much.

Oh, that's so sad. I'll probably not watch that one again.

Fred and his penny pinching... he was sooo ungrateful in this episode. Ricky and Lucy are taking them to Hollywood and Fred is quibbling over pitching in for gas money. If Ricky was like that, the Mertz's wouldn't have gone anywhere. Ricky was very generous and a good sport. He didn't have to share so much.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, so my all-time favorite musical moment has to be Lucy and Ricky dancing to The Anniversary Waltz.  It's just so sweet.  

That's my favorite, too.  They look so much in love.  

And Cuban Pete:  "Chick-chicky-boom,  Chick-chicky-boom,  Chick-chicky-boom."

And the Cuba song (I guess the name is Cuba):  "I'm on my way to Cuba--that's where I'm going."

"I'll see you in C-U-B-Aaaaaa!"

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 5

I like the Hollywood episodes in general, and I even like when they are at the Brown Derby, but I absolutely hate William Holden in that episode. He comes off as extremely arrogant and I hated in the other Hollywood episodes when the celebrities would act all wary around Lucy because of what she "did to Bill Holden." Wasn't the supposedly redeeming moment in the "Brown Derby" episode that he was going to keep what happened in the restaurant quiet?

I actually prefer the European vacation, if all else, because the episode leading up to it where Lucy and Fred fall asleep on the Staten Island Ferry and the episode where they are flying home and Lucy disguises her smuggled cheese as a baby (and everyone is horried by Ricky's "denial of his child") are among my favorites.

• Love 2

And don't forget Sally Sweet, the queen of Delancey Street!

I think that number was taken right from the vaudeville act Lucy and Desi did, in part to prove to CBS that audiences would respond to them as a performing couple.

• Love 1

Maybe other celebs heard about it from those who were at the restaurant when it happened and word got around, even if Bill didn't tell anyone himself- or at least he said he wouldn't tell Ricky.

One of my favorite Hollywood episodes is The Fashion Show. It's funny from beginning to end and there's never a dull moment in the whole show.

• Love 1

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Oops.  I posted here about Fred's "rice" quote and I see there's a Show Quotes thread and the rice quote is already there.  I need to look around more before posting.   

Watched the move to CT this morning.  I alway cry right along with Lucy when she is taking the last look at the apartment.  I could never understand why the Mertzes didn't go with them to help them get unpacked and settled.  Also, Ethel had no idea they rented a car for the move, when they were leaving how did she think they were getting to CT.  I enjoyed most of the CT episodes, but Betty Ramsey couldn't replace Mrs. Trumball, Carolyn Applebee and Marion Strong!

• Love 2

Cuban Pete/Sally Sweet, everything goes chick chickie boom from the episode "The Diet". Also, California Here I Come and  from a CT episode "That's right the woman is UM smarter".  Another good one is Tennessee Ernie Ford and his 4 hot chicken pickers, "Y'all come and see us".

• Love 1

Had no idea of Hedda Hopper until this show. Of course, I was too young to watch ILL when it originally aired. ILL was the only show where I heard of Hedda Hopper or as Ricky called her, Hedda Hooper.

Lucy's imitation of Tallulah went over my head each time until the network finally began to air the one hour episodes where Tallulah Bankhead appeared.

(edited)

I always thought a line from the Paris fashion episode was the funniest in the episode, but no one in the audience laughed at it.  Upon opening her "designer" dress that Ricky had a tailor assemble, she says:

"Leave it to Jacques.  What an inspired use of burlap."

I think it's a hilarious line, but I think the audience took it seriously.  Not a peep.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 4

One of my favorite Lucy lines was from the Season 1 episode New Neighbors, when Lucy and Ethel are in the neighbors' apartment checking out their furniture:

Ethel (holding up a chair): Hey Lucy, what do call this? 19th century provincial?

Lucy: More like 20th century ugly.

• Love 2

Maybe the Mertzes paid for the room out of their savings. That doesn't seem very likely considering that Fred is a penny pincher, but it could be possible that he decided to pay for it since it was the experience of a lifetime. If not, then I guess it was just a plot hole. Or maybe Ricky's studio did, in fact, agree to pay for the hotel room since Ricky was the star of their picture and they agreed to give him whatever he asked for.

Their room was paid by the studio. I remember Ricky mentioning it on one episode. Ricky was done working in Hollywood and Lucy wanted to stay longer. Fred was for it until Ricky told Fred that he'd (Fred) be paying for the room from now on and not the studio. Fred changed his mind real quick and wanted to go home.

• Love 3

Aside from The Walking Dead, ILL is my all time fave show. I can watch them over and over and laugh like it's the first time I've seen it.

My favorite episode is the one where they have the seance. When Ricky and Lucy are sitting around Mr. Weatherby's desk listing off their numbers and Weatherby says "We're all odd, aren't we?" I howl with laughter. Another favorite part is when Ethel says "Ethel to Tilly...come in Tilly". I can't tell  you how many times I say those two lines from that one episode. LOVE it.

• Love 2

I've always liked the scene in Ethel's Birthday when she sees the hostess pants Lucy bought her. They are truly atrocious looking.

There are really too many good quotes from the show to be able to list them all. Like in The Ballet when the teacher tells Lucy to go to the barre and she says "Thanks, I'm awful thirsty!"

I also have always loved the scene in The Charm School when Lucy and Ethel are getting their free analyses, and when they take their hats off, the woman goes "Oh it must be awfully windy outside!" And then when she tells Lucy to wear a more natural looking color of powder, Lucy says "I'm not wearing powder!"

• Love 1

Also a great line from the Charm School episode is when Lucy suggests that her and Ethel go show Mrs. Trumbel their dresses and Ethel says "yes, let's let her get a load of us".  That line cracks me up everytime.

• Love 3