Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SPLAIN

I Love Lucy

On 1/10/2022 at 7:41 AM, Egg McMuffin said:

Yeah, I don’t agree with that assessment, even if it came from Lucy herself. The problem was that they didn’t share the same values. Desi was outgoing, a partier, and a gambler, and didn’t believe in monogamy. Lucy was much more reserved, and had a stricter moral code. Maybe she meant that they didn’t like each other’s values, which I buy. Sometimes you have to dig a little to get what she means (the infamous interview where she called Desi “a loser”, for example).

If they truly didn’t like each other, then why were they still so involved in each other’s lives even after the divorce and after Desi sold his share of the business? Even in the early 80s, Lucy gave an interview where she said she still spoke to Desi two or three times per week, and was very complimentary of him. You don’t do that with someone you don’t like.

Quoting you and @GHScorpiosRule:

I think the person @GHScorpiosRule was referring to in the movie thread was me. It’s very possible to respect people you don’t like- you respect their talent, intelligence, integrity etc but that doesn’t mean you want to be friends with them. It doesn’t mean being in their presence satisfied you emotionally. 

Lucille and Desi “fought as hard as they fucked”(to quote my Mom), and they had a business chemistry together, but not a friendship. Desi was never going to be able to meet Lucille’s emotional needs the way she wanted him to. Yes they grew into a friendship AFTER the years of heartbreak, fighting, the building of a tv empire and the creation of the children they both wanted- but at that point they were both married to other people and the pressure was off. 

Edited to add-  the autobiography I was referencing ends in approximately 1962*, with Lucille’s marriage to Gary Morton. Her marriage to Desi and the divorce are still very fresh when she’s writing about her feelings. Of course she would have a different perspective 20years later, seeing how we know they were able to build a real friendship when they were no longer married. 

*I just went to look it up to be sure, it was published in 1996, but the events of the autobiography end in 1962. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

*I just went to look it up to be sure, it was published in 1996, but the events of the autobiography end in 1962. 

Interesting that Lucille's autobiography was released 7 years after her death. Unless she authorized its release after her death.

I guess it's difficult for me to accept that they didn't like each other when I watch the show and see them together, or even when I watch interviews they've done together.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Interesting that Lucille's autobiography was released 7 years after her death. Unless she authorized its release after her death.

I guess it's difficult for me to accept that they didn't like each other when I watch the show and see them together, or even when I watch interviews they've done together.

Lucille may have wanted it released after she died, like you suggested. 

I get what you mean, but the word "like" in English can mean a lot of things. I have loved people deeply but did not like them at certain points. I can see a situation where lust, creative chemistry/vision made a passionate relationship, but living together was emotional turmoil. I can see that Lucille probably liked Desi more when she didn't live with him any more, and Desi probably felt better when he wasn't constantly upsetting a woman he cared about, because monogamy was not something he was going to practice.