Type keyword(s) to search

I Love Lucy - General Discussion

SPLAIN
  • Start Topic

For Christmas I completed my I Love Lucy collection so now I own all the seasons on DVD, even the Final Seasons compilation. I'm working my way through the hour-long episodes at the moment. My Lucy collection also includes the 50th anniversary book with info about all the episodes and cast and Lucy's autobiography Love Lucy. It was a really great read. 

I'm only 20 years old but my mom had me watching Lucy from when I was really little. My best friend loves it too. Shows just how amazing that show is that it has transcended generations. Lucille Ball is one of the women I admire most because she did so many amazing things, way ahead of her time. Being the first woman to appear visibly pregnant on television, being the first woman to own a production studio… I also admire her so much for sticking up for Desi and insisting he be part of the show. Without Desi, I Love Lucy would not have been what we know it as today. The show was also way ahead of its time, being one of the first, if not the first, show to film in Hollywood instead of New York and using multiple camera angles, which was Desi's idea. 

I feel like what makes I Love Lucy so great is that Lucy (the character) was always determined to get whatever it was that she wanted, whether it was being in Ricky's show or getting an autograph from a celebrity or getting a designer dress, staying in the hospital with Little Ricky, getting her bonus bucks… whatever it was that she wanted, she would do anything to get it. I think that's somewhat inspiring, in a weird, comedic sort of way. It's tough to put a finger on what makes this show so special that it's never been off the air, but I think that is one of the main reasons why so many people love it, much like Lucille Ball herself. 

• Love 1

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I wish TV Land would bring back the uncut episodes that had the original stick figure openings restored.  The satin heart opening has become synonymous with the show, but it was nice seeing the original opening and this show is too much of a classic to be diced up. 

Edited by SilverStormm
Added AET offical blurb.
  • Love 1

The basic DNA of all TV pretty much leads back to this show.  And it's always amazing to me how well the episodes hold up.  Shows made 40 years later haven't aged 1/10th as well.

• Love 3

Not exactly "Ricky Ricardo" related but I feel like Desi Arnaz's contribution to the show is often very overlooked. If it wasn't for him, the show would not have been what it was. It was his idea to film with 3 different cameras, for example. I also feel like his heritage made the show more interesting. I'm sure most fans of the show know that originally the producers wanted a different actor to portray Lucy's husband so that they could be the "typical American family." Part of the reason why people adored this show and still do is because they are the exact opposite of that. The show was a lot funnier with Ricky's mispronunciations of things and backward sayings. It's a good thing Lucille Ball convinced the producers to let Desi play the part, or who knows what sort of show we would have gotten. Not only does Ricky Ricardo serve as the foil to Lucy's plans, but his brand of comedy also contributed a lot to the show as well. Unfortunately, I feel like he's always overshadowed by Lucy.

• Love 2

Oh yeah the TV Land edits are terrible. When I bought all the seasons on DVD I was surprised at how much extra footage there was that I had never seen before. The DVDs are extremely cheap to purchase. You can buy them on Amazon for around $13 each or at Target, FYE, etc. for $10 each (but they may only have certain seasons). I definitely recommend purchasing the DVDs, you also get lots of extras and of course can watch any episode whenever you want.

The Bluray sets will have the original (stick figure) openings rather than the syndicated (heart on satin) openings. I hope to get the blurays someday but $74 for season 1 is too steep considering I already have the DVDs.

Edited by discorules

I have the complete ILL series on DVD, it was given to me as a gift.  One of my all time best gifts received!  Hallmark channel chops the show up as well.  Wish they would just leave the entire show in tact.  We miss so much.

I have all the DVDs too including the "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" ones.  One of the bonuses which I love are the radio broadcasts of "My Favorite Husband" which Lucille starred in and which kind of became a starting point for "I Love Lucy."  Many of the stories eventually were used for "I Love Lucy."  

The Bluray sets will have the original (stick figure) openings rather than the syndicated (heart on satin) openings.

You know, I'd never seen those before, but YouTube has at least one of them:

You can see why at least this one wouldn't make its way to syndication, being about little boys selling cigarettes.

Doesn't TV Land air the original openings? If not, you can definitely find them on the DVD releases and even set the disc so that you can choose between the heart on satin opening or the original openings.

I love the original openings because that's how they were originally broadcast. I love it when on my classic TV DVDs sets they include original openings with the sponsor's products announced. However, it's funny that since I was "introduced" to Lucy for years with the heart on satin opening, that always seemed like the "original" to me and it took me awhile to come to love the stick figure openings.

Yeah I felt the same way! I always knew just the heart on stain openings so when I found out there were different openings originally, it took some getting used to. It's really weird seeing the commercials for cigarettes, old Ford cars, and Instant Sanka coffee. Feels like I'm living in 1957 or something lol

Well even weirder than the stick figures and products is (at least in the one I embed earlier) some guy coming on screen puffing away like a chimney and talking us into the first scene of the show. 

I know there are some classic episodes  but my all time favorite  is  "The Operetta"    The staging, those songs, the attempts of drowning out of Lucy, it just showcased the incredible talent of the cast and the writers.

Favorite lyric   "Of the quiet peaceful valley over there..."  then the hand gesture.

(edited)

I read somewhere, maybe in an interview with Lucie Arnaz, that The Operetta was Lucy's favorite episode. I love 'em all but I've always had a soft spot for The Courtroom and the one where Lucy bites into the wax fruit at the Littlefields (Lucy's Schedule?). Lucy's reaction when she realizes her teeth are stuck is sheer perfection! The ILL I probably like least is Lucy Meets Orson Welles. I don't find Act II where he's reciting Shakespeare entertaining at all.

Edited by discorules
  • Love 1

I don't think a single day of my childhood went by without an episode of this show.  My mom was a major fan. (For a while, we had fish named Unique and Euphonious.) And my grandmother watched the show back on first run.  I've got kids of my own now, and it's nice to be able to share a show with multiple generations of a family and everyone can still laugh at it.

We had the whole series when it came out on VHS, and I remember thinking it was strange to see the opening heart tinted red like that.  Nowadays I like the stick-figure openings, though.

All the comments about The Operetta make me smile - it's one of my favorites, too. 

I also like the one with "Blood-Curdling Indian Tales" and the Martian one, in both cases mainly because of the way Lucy screams when she's scared.  I've never seen anyone scream more realistically in a comedy.  There's a moment where she's saying "My baby, my baby!" during the screaming that absolutely felt like she meant it.  LB really threw her heart into that character.  

(edited)

Hello, fellow Lucy-ites!  My favorite episodes tend to vary a lot, then come back around to the same ones.  Right now I think my number one would be "Lucy's Italian's Movie."  It's just so well structured, start to finish, has very sharp and funny dialogue, and incorporates a classic bit very organically into the story (something other eps with classic shtick didn't do as well).

Too bad there was SO much editing when CBS showed the colorized version along with the Christmas show.

"Ingrid Bergman it ain't!"

"Bring me a large pizza."

PS Also love "The Operetta."  Ethel switching from operatic ingenue to brassy belter always cracks me up.

Edited by Charlie Baker
  • Love 2

I really like "Little Ricky's School Pageant" episode.  Ricky the tree, Lucy the witch, Fred a frog and Ethel as the fairy princess.  Lucy thinks Little Ricky is natural and he cannot even remember to nod his head.  Love Ricky's reaction when Ethel starts to sing.

• Love 1

Well as you can see, I have a real soft spot for "Fan Magazine Interview".  Kathryn Card just cracks me up in this episode every time!  The fact that she plays Mrs. McGillicuddy so differently and looks like a completely different woman is still amazing to me after all these years.

"Do I know...uh..do I know him?  I'll say I do...he's MAD about me!"

"Oh boy when I kiss 'em...they stay kissed!"

• Love 3
(edited)

You're so right about Kathryn Card, Minnie Finch. Also love that Elvia Allman, who plays one of Minnie's neighbors, also turns up at the candy factory and as the reporter Nancy Graham who convinces Lucy she must devote herself completely to Ricky's happiness since he's going to be a movie star and "belongs to the world."

And I think the actress who plays Minnie's other neighbor (don't know her name and am ashamedly too lazy to look it up) also played the cleaning woman at the Tropicana for whom Ricky performs his straw hat number.

Then of course there was Elizabeth Patterson, who was Mrs. Trunbull, but also the wife of the justice of the peace in the elopement episode.

They had a real rep company of character people, but so did a lot of TV shows.

Edited by Charlie Baker
  • Love 1

I think that the most completely hysterical episode was when the goup makes it to California and Lucy and the Mertzes go star hunting at The Brown Derby.  The Brown Derby segment, flawless, and then the back end of fhe episode with the fake nose. just perfect timing. Holden was such sport to do this and he was really funny too.

• Love 5

The Brown Derby is my second favorite. So relatable. Lucy eating the spaghetti and Ethel cutting it with scissors. Priceless.

My favorite is when Lucy tells Ricky she's expecting. The scene at the end when they are both crying is so touching. The real Lucy and Desi.

• Love 7

One of my favorite episodes is Lucy's Night in Town. I also like Lucy Gets Ricky on the Radio. When she's trying to kick the ball of paper with the answers on it out the door by shuffling her feet- hilarious. Also love The Million Dollar Idea, The Business Manager, The Diner, and The Girls Go Into Business. All the Hollywood and Europe episodes are great too.

• Love 1

I also think Verna Felton is hysterical in Lucy Hires A Maid.

I love the exchange that goes something like this.

Mrs. Porter: I'm Mrs Porter.

Lucy: And what do I call you?

Mrs Porter: Mrs Porter.

And when she  says to Lucy: And if I hadn't eaten the salad I would've STARVED to death!

Lucy with the peanut butter sandwich is also a hoot.

Ms Felton was also terrific in Sales Resistance when Lucy tries to sell her the vacuum cleaner!

• Love 2

One of my favorites is the one where Lucy buys hostess pants for Fred to give to Ethel for her birthday.  Better known as "the checkerboard britches."  

"I wanted a TOASTER!"     I say this when I am distressed and not getting my way, even if it's not about a toaster. Lol. Yeah, dorky.

Thanks to my mom, I watched the reruns growing up and have purchased VHSs back in the day, and DVDs currently.  There are so many great moments and I still quote from it with my mom. (I'm 47 and she will be 70). We have quite this type of humor ourselves so we have a grand time remembering and discussing the show. I love that it's still on the telly and I usually will stop to watch it if I am lazily flipping channels.

• Love 2

I think that the most completely hysterical episode was when the goup makes it to California and Lucy and the Mertzes go star hunting at The Brown Derby.  The Brown Derby segment, flawless, and then the back end of fhe episode with the fake nose. just perfect timing. Holden was such sport to do this and he was really funny too.

It's sort of OOT, but I absolutely lovelovelove Holden's reaction to Lucy's nose catching alight. Makes me laugh Every.Time.  And Lucy's 'scissor-cutting' gesture to Ethel.  Man, now I want pasta.

"Paging Ava Gardner.'  Fred: 'Where?! Where?!" ...."She might be 'people' but she's NOT like you and me!"

• Love 2

Has anybody ever watched the hour-long episodes? I just got through watching them all yesterday. Some are good, some are eh. I feel like many time the story dragged on too long to fill the hour-long slot.

• Love 1

I saw them a couple of years ago, BogoGog24.  I wasn't really a fan of them.  I love the half-hour episodes, but the hour-long ones don't have the same zing.  They have some isolated good moments, but it seemed like Ms. Ball's heart wasn't in it anymore.  

• Love 1

Snark or stuff you really learned from watching the show over the years.

From a scene where Lucy mentions the movie, "Ben-Hur", I learned that was the original movie before the one starring Charlton Heston.

I learned if you use too much yeast, expect your oven to vomit an 8 foot loaf.

I was born in 1993 so I mainly learned about all the old movie stars and celebs from that time period by watching the show (Hedda Hopper, John Wayne, Talullah Bankhead, Maurice Chevalier, William Holden, Richard Widmark, etc.)

• Love 2

I loved all the episodes mentioned but one of my favorites was when Ethel went back to Albuquerque and sang "Mama's Little Baby Loves Shortnin Bread" all while Fred and Ricky are cutting up in the background, bringing bigger and bigger potted plants. By the time Fred comes out with the gigantic one I'm practically crying. 

• Love 5

I first watched this show when I was a child. It's timeless. I still use some quotes from this show in my everyday life.

One is from the episode where Lucy gets a black eye when Ricky tosses a book to her. Later in the episode, in the hall Fred smacks Ricky in the eye. Ricky walks into the apartment holding his eye and says, "Wha hoppen?"

I come home. Reach in the fridge. Get a diet soda. Pop the top. It spews.

"Wha hoppen?"

I still say "lousy susan".

Edited by SunShine Gal
  • Love 3

I admit that I got the idea for this topic from the Dick Van Dyke Show Forum.

I enjoyed all the musical numbers, whether or not they were set in the nightclub. Indeed, my very favorite is, "California, Here I Come!" on the trip to Hollywood.

• Love 1

I'm the third generation in my family of rabid Lucy-watchers.  We could hold entire conversations using only Lucy quotes.  I'm not sure my grandmother and mother can communicate with each other at all without using lines from ILL, and the rest of us are almost as bad when we talk with either of them.  It's pretty much our family's internal culture.

Examples:

(when someone asks how you got out of anything, like doing chores or going to the store):  "I pretended to be a chair."

(when someone asks you why someone else did something):  "So they could assume our identities and blow up the capitol."

(when you hear someone walking around in another room): "Hark. Do I hear a footfall?  Is that you, Don Juan?"

(at any meal): "It's so tasty, too!  Tastes just like candy.  Honest!"

(any time you're frustrated): "Please let me sit down.  This is making me sick!"

"I guess I fooled you with my Brooklyn ac-cent."

"Are you unpopular? Do you poop out at parties?"  (and following up on that, if offering someone a drink): "The answer to all your problems is in this little bottle."

• Love 3

Nice!  I've been thinking about something like this because of the DVD forum, too.

Okay, so my all-time favorite musical moment has to be Lucy and Ricky dancing to The Anniversary Waltz.  It's just so sweet.  

Runner-up would be the number Lucy and Van Johnson do.  I love the song patter, and even though I'm not usually a fan of feathers on clothes, I think Lucy looks so beautiful and elegant in that dress.

And another sentimental favorite would be "We're Having a Baby, My Baby and Me."

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 6