Type keyword(s) to search

Ghostbusters (2016)

starri
  • Start Topic

I really enjoyed it, and McKinnon was definitely my favorite part.  Although all of the stars brought something to the show.  Enjoyed all of the cameos, and even the bit players like the haunted house tour guide and delivery guy Benny were fun (Karan Soni was the cab driver in Deadpool, he needs bigger roles).  Chris Hemsworth looked like he was having loads of fun.

And the after-credits scene really set up a sequel, didn't it?

• Love 5

I too saw it this morning.  I enjoyed it a lot.  While I don't think it will be a classic, my mom and I both agreed that if they do a sequel we will go see it.  I thought all to ladies, actress and character, brought something to the movie.  I didn't find Hemsworth that funny, but the end credits were good. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed it and I thought it was a good summer movie. I've never been able to sit through the original so I didn't go into it with any expectations or comparisons which I think actually helped me enjoy it. The special effects were great. All of the actors were good, but Kate McKinnon definitely steals the show. My theater was pretty full so I'm hoping it does well at the box office.

• Love 2

Went to see the movie tonight. All I can say is that it is HILARIOUS!! The cast is fucking perfect. The writing, the story, the action, the direction is perfection! Kate McKinnon is definitely the stand out but the rest of the cast is great too! Kate reminded my dad and I of Madeline Kahn(we both are huge fans of her). The cameos by certain stars were brilliant and adorable(especially the last one)! It was so good I may just go see it again. Paul Feig once again has done a brilliant job of writing and directing a great comedy for women. I hope he continues to work with female comedians because he truly does right by them!! Make sure you stay for the credits and even the end of the credits because there is a scene at the end. The people in the theater loved it so much they were clapping at the end(myself included).  

• Love 4

Because I'm sure you're all dying to hear my opinion. I think that some of the jokes didn't work for me, or went on too long. Some of the CG was a bit rough. There are ways of incorporating unrealistic elements to make them look better. But ultimately, I liked it. Solid movie. Funny people. I'd see it again in the right circumstances, maybe with a drink in hand.

• Love 3

Unlike most men my age, I don't have some hugely significant emotional attachment to the original, so I went in wanting to see four terrifically funny women, and walked out quite pleased.  Just like every review says, Kate McKinnon stole the show, although Chris Hemsworth was by far the biggest surprise.  And while I thought the cameos were going to be clunky, they all worked kind of organically, even the bust of Harold Ramis.  

If I had one complaint, it's that of course they had Leslie Jones play the sassy black one.  Patty was written with Melissa McCarthy in mind, so they just went and subbed "black" for "overweight" in the character description.  She clearly doesn't think so, based on her comments on The View about how she's so happy she gets to be the role model for young black women that Whoopi Goldberg was to her, so I guess that blunts it somewhat.

• Love 4

Just saw this and loved it. I don't understand where all the pre-release vitriol came from. I was a huge fan of the original (even played the Xbox game a couple of years ago) and laughed my ass off at this one. Kate McKinnon was fantastic and a standout in a really great cast. 

• Love 5

Full disclosure:  Despite being 40 years old, I have never seen the original or sequel.  So, no preconceptions going in for me.

Loved it!  Some of the jokes in the beginning were a little rough, but once they got into their comedic groove, it was really funny.  I think Chris Hemsworth needs more comedic roles (his delivery was perfect, IMO).

Go in with an open mind and you'll have a great time.  The audience I was with certainly did.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I rewatched the original on Thursday for the first time in decades and couldn't stay interested.  It was as I remembered:  A cute movie with some parts being better than others.  We saw the new one this morning in IMAX 3-D and I felt the same:  it was a cute movie, some parts better than others.

I thought the special effects were really good overall, with a few that were a bit rough, and enjoyed the cameos. 

I've only ever seen Kate McKinnon in a couple of Hillary Clinton skits and loved them and was also drawn to her character in the previews for this movie, but all in all, I felt that while she has a great presence and tons of comedic potential, something was a bit off about the character.  I wish more had been put into creating the character on paper so she'd have had better stuff to work with.  I don't think this was the right movie for her, but I can't wait to see what's next for her because there is definitely something compelling about her. She kept drawing my eye.

I loved Chris Hemsworth--he must have had a blast during filming and seems like a great sport.  I honestly laughed more during his interview scene than any other part of the movie. 

Re: Leslie Jones:  Yes, it would have been nice for her to get a different character than sassy African American woman, but I am glad that she had historical knowledge of the buildings in NYC.  It was smart information that the others didn't have and that made her valuable in her own way.

In the end, I'm not sorry I spent money to see it, I just wish I hadn't paid the extra money for IMAX 3-D (although, I do take pleasure in knowing that I gave a few extra dollars to a movie that some people were actively trying to sabotage from the beginning, so I'm not too upset).

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4

Just saw the movie, and thought it was a lot of fun. Goofy, harmless, genuine fun. All the performances were excellent, and I say this as someone who is not familiar with the work of any of the four main ladies.

I don't make a habit of watching Hollywood comedies, so this is the first thing I've seen Melissa McCarthy in. She's not as irritating as I assumed, and funnier. I've seen Kristen Wiig in the odd role, but never as comedic as this, and she was a hoot. The sort of 'repressed and dorky' funny that really works for me. Kate McKinnon took some getting used to. I think the character would annoy the hell out of me in real life, but the quirkiness worked in the role . Also something incredibly attractive about her. Leslie Jones got some predictable stereotypical stuff, but she knocked it all out of the park. I liked that she had the New York knowledge, as it reminded me of the awesome bus tour guide from my recent New York holiday, who dispensed all sorts of knowledge in a really witty, acerbic way.

A surprising pleasure for me was Chris Hemsworth in a genuinely comedic role. I'm not entirely sure whether they were going for borderline developmentally disabled or just poking fun at hipster douches, but it was all great. The glasses with no lenses, the 'adult hide-and-seek competition' and the appreciation for hideous clothes, the bizarre way he rubbed his eyes when his ears hurt. Whatever, it was all funny.

I enjoyed the cameos by nearly all the original cast, who were clearly giving their stamp of approval, which must grate something rotten for the fanboy haters. Andy Garcia hammed it up, and it was fun to see a few familiar faces in other small roles.

Oh, and guess what? It didn't matter at all that the Ghostbusters were women. Imagine that! I hope some of those fanboys actually see the movie, because they'll enjoy it. But more likely, they'll stay in their caves and bitch about how it's the worst movie ever without ever watching it.

• Love 6

Just got back! Screw the trolls, it was tons of fun!

like everyone said, McKinnon/Holtzman was the best part, though all the ladies did great. Loved Chris Hemsworth! I'd hire Kevin in a heartbeat to be my receptionist no matter how stupid he is.

I grinned like an idiot when the original theme came on in the opening. Ditto with the cameos. Totally knew Ernie would be Patty's uncle. Big LOL at Dan Aykroyd's...and only Bill Murray would play the ghost skeptic that gets thrown out the window. And of course the nice little nod to Harold Ramis with the bust at the college. I'm happy they dedicated the film to his memory.

Sign me up for a sequel!

• Love 7

I would love to see a sequel. Fleshing out the characters a little more, giving them more time to breathe and exist in this world. 

As for playing in empty theatres, I imagine plenty of movies do, at certain times and in certain places. It just never has a big deal made of it because most movies don't have a strong base of opponents willing them to fail.  I went to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in a small theatre a couple of weeks after it was released (the second time I saw it) and there were perhaps two dozen people in there. Perhaps I should have taken some photos and gone on twitter to say, 'see, it's a failure!'.

• Love 9

Saw the movie and enjoyed it.  It's not IMO a classic, but it was popcorn good fun.   Enjoyed the original but I really don't think its aged well.  Do miss Harold Ramis.

Good Lord I certainly don't understand all the vitriol and all the angst of how women as box office rides on this film, when every male actor under 40 gets about 100 chances (Rryan Reynolds, etc) to make it.

• Love 9
(edited)

We went on Sunday morning at 10:30am and there weren't many people there at all.  While I expected it to be a bit more full, given the day and time and the expense of IMAX 3-D, I wasn't surprised that there weren't a lot of people.

Edited by Shannon L.
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I would love to see a sequel. Fleshing out the characters a little more, giving them more time to breathe and exist in this world. 

As for playing in empty theatres, I imagine plenty of movies do, at certain times and in certain places. It just never has a big deal made of it because most movies don't have a strong base of opponents willing them to fail.  I went to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in a small theatre a couple of weeks after it was released (the second time I saw it) and there were perhaps two dozen people in there. Perhaps I should have taken some photos and gone on twitter to say, 'see, it's a failure!'.

That bolded part is the whole issue, and it's so frustrating. Working in a cinema I've seen many films open to empty cinemas. Cinema going varies depending on many factors especially with the weather and the time. One of the tickets in the article said 5.30, which is usually a quieter time for us, because of people coming home from work and whatnot. The first advance preview we had of the new Ice Age movie had 5 people in it. And we had no-one in the first showing of the new Independence Day movie. Even Secret Life of Pets had a very quiet opening weekend at our cinema, as did Captain America: Civil War - and that's the highest grossing movie of the year apparently.

As for Ghostbusters, on the first night, the two earlier showings were fairly quiet, but the later one, which I was in was about 2/3rds full.

I really hope we get a sequel

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well obviously seeing an empty theatre 2 weeks after a movie opens is the same as an empty theatre the weekend it opened. ?

Personally i think both sides are wrong/crazy but, that's my opinion for most movie fandom wars.

It just never has a big deal made of it because most movies don't have a strong base of opponents willing them to fail.  

You're experience is vastly different from mine.  Just about every single Sci-fi/Comicbook movie I've ever paid attention to has had a massive fight and groups of people wanting it to fail. Most recently, Star Trek Beyond (actually new Trek as a whole), Force Awakens, BvsS, Fant4stick, Civil War. Infact the sheer amount of DC vs Marvel fan wars I've experienced between those 2 movies for the past 1.5 years was unbelievable.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

You're experience is vastly different from mine.  Just about every single Sci-fi/Comicbook movie I've ever paid attention to has had a massive fight and groups of people wanting it to fail. Most recently, Star Trek Beyond (actually new Trek as a whole), Force Awakens, BvsS, Fant4stick, Civil War. Infact the sheer amount of DC vs Marvel fan wars I've experienced between those 2 movies for the past 1.5 years was unbelievable.  

Those other fandoms, even at their most toxic, don't have the same social implications as the MRA movement. If someone wants to be fundamentalist about a fictional story like Star Trek or a comic character that's fine. It's a bit different to saying 49.6% of the world's population shouldn't count or are inherently threatening for simply being who they are. 

Edited by PatternRec
typo/spelling
  • Love 13

I saw it this morning, and I really enjoyed it. Like all of Paul Feig's movies, I thought it was 20 minutes too long, but I had a lot of fun. Perfect summer movie. Add me to the women that have had my Kinsey scale adjust due to Kate McKinnon, and Chris Hemsworth was hilarious. I rarely watch SNL but like most of the people on it so that wasn't a deterrence. I liked the focus on science and gadgets, and the cameos from the original crew were perfect. 

The most surprising part was my childhood wasn't ruined! Due to some time paradox, I am able to enjoy the original AND this new version. I expect dogs and cats to be living together soon. ;)

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, millennium said:

I hope it bombs, if only to get it through the studios' heads that we want new stories, not remakes. 

Very few stories are actually new. They're either reboots/retellings of old stories or sequels to stories. Looking at the top 10 highest grossing movies each year (on Wikipedia) from 2010 to (so far in) 2016 there's a remake/reboot each year in the top ten. And at least half the top ten each year are sequels.

Yet I hear no angry internet mob talking about how a new version of The Jungle Book has ruined their childhood (or how other movies have ruined comedy or ruined science). The endless remakes of Spiderman come with a lot of jokes about it being ANOTHER remake, but it's still immensely popular and each one attempts to bring something different to the same old story. But there's no mass downvoting of the trailer, no organized effort to bring down the ratings, no constant insistence that it won't meet some imaginary box office threshold. 

If people don't like that it's a reboot, fine. Don't see it and be quiet about it. But I don't see a rallying cry around promoting original movies, just tearing down this one movie for no discernible reason.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, millennium said:

I hope it bombs, if only to get it through the studios' heads that we want new stories, not remakes. 

But this movie bombing isn't going to get us original movies. There are 140 reboots/remakes currently in the works. http://www.imdb.com/list/ls052091214/

Did I ask for this? Nope, but studios want to make money, and clearly, they think making movies based on stories audiences are already familiar with is the way to go. I also think it's because the current execs want to see stuff they grew up with. So, if I'm stuck with a bunch of reboots/remakes, I hope they mix the casts up from what were in the originals.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The people who want to see the movie and hope it succeeds are "wrong and crazy"? Really? 

Dismissing the concerted, virulent hatred this movie garnered before even a trailer was released is simply glossing over facts that too many people don't want to admit. A large amount of the anger came when it was announced the main cast would all be women. The people whining about their childhoods being ruined probably weren't whining when the rumours of Ghostbusters 3, with the pension aged original stars, abounded. 

It's the same revolting, misogynistic, cave-dwelling bullshit as Gamer-gate and that crap with the Sick Puppies, or whatever those insecure man-children call themselves.  It's not a whole world away from the bile spewed by Trump and his ilk, and these 'pick-up artists' who give sad men advice on how to treat women like crap, in order to sleep with them. Regressive, blinkered claptrap that harkens back to when women and minorities 'knew their place'. It's all part of one giant, poisonous pustule of inadequacy.

Now that's a read!

• Love 1

Oh my god, this movie was hilarious and excellent! 

Kate McKinnon for president. She seriously knocked it out of the park with her delivery. Perfect combination of character and Kate herself. She said in an interview that Holtzmann is the closest she's ever come to playing herself, and that just makes me like her more!

Chris Hemsworth (all Hemsworth brothers, really) can really just be in everything. His comedic delivery was excellent, though! He's much more than a pretty boy.

Leslie Jones and Melissa McCarthy were also hilarious and amazingly good.

I love seeing Charles Dance in anything, even if it's just a brief cameo.

I think I'm in the minority, but I really dislike Kristin Wiig. But I thought she was good in this.

I don't know the last time I laughed so much at the movies!

• Love 3

I loved it.  Fast, funny, neat gadgets - exactly what it says on the tin.

Like many, Holtzmann was my runaway favorite (Kate McKinnon is so fabulous,) but I really enjoyed all the main characters.  While Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, and Leslie Jones can all be a bit "a little goes a long way" for me, I thought all three were excellent here.  I like that all four of them are comic CHARACTERS rather than just a collection of comic quirks/gags/lines/etc.  Even Holtzmann, who's the most whacky, feels understandable to me - I love her boundless enthusiasm for tinkering, and I like that she just enjoys being goofy and letting her freak flag fly.  And Chris Hemsworth was a stitch - I hope this film helps him get more comedy roles, because he was hilarious.

• Love 4
(edited)

I am glad that movie did okay at the box office despite the misogynists'  campaign to make it fail. I read about the racist Twitter attacks on Leslie Jones and fake hompohobic tweets in the account set up in her name. These people are the worse of humanity. I wish there was a way to reveal their identities and shame them in front of their bosses, co-workers, and wider community.

I have every intention of going to see this movie this weekend. Fuck the racists and misogynists, may they drown in their hate!

10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The people who want to see the movie and hope it succeeds are "wrong and crazy"? Really? 

Dismissing the concerted, virulent hatred this movie garnered before even a trailer was released is simply glossing over facts that too many people don't want to admit. A large amount of the anger came when it was announced the main cast would all be women. The people whining about their childhoods being ruined probably weren't whining when the rumours of Ghostbusters 3, with the pension aged original stars, abounded. 

It's the same revolting, misogynistic, cave-dwelling bullshit as Gamer-gate and that crap with the Sick Puppies, or whatever those insecure man-children call themselves.  It's not a whole world away from the bile spewed by Trump and his ilk, and these 'pick-up artists' who give sad men advice on how to treat women like crap, in order to sleep with them. Regressive, blinkered claptrap that harkens back to when women and minorities 'knew their place'. It's all part of one giant, poisonous pustule of inadequacy.

Danny Franks, you the man! If I could love this post one thousand times, I would. There is nothing "wrong or crazy" about opposing misygony and racism.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

I wasn't able to see this movie over the weekend for various reasons, but purchased a ticket online anyway. Consider it a donation to the "make entitled male nerds cry" fund. I plan on actually watching this weekend!

Re: Paul Feig's confirmation that Kate's character is supposed to be gay, I saw the following comment on another message board that cracked me up: "To add insult to injury, not only are there women cast in this movie to ruin your childhood, but there's even one who wouldn't want to fuck you." Ha! 

• Love 13

I don't give a flying fig about the movie and don't plan to see it.  The only thing I remember about the original one was that I liked the theme song.  However, I do feel bad for Leslie Jones.  

19 minutes ago, BatmanBeatles said:

Leslie was nowhere near as obnoxious as the trailers made her out to be.

I agree. I was concerned about the stereotype I thought might be happening with her character, but I had no problem with Patty. I know a few Patty's, and I thought Leslie Jones did a great job.

• Love 2

The thing with Patty is that, while she did have some stereotypical 'urban' and 'sassy' moments, at its core her character was a fundamentally positive, happy, friendly person. She was affirming and optimistic, rather than confrontational. Perhaps the trailer focused more on the Martin Lawrence-style 'aww here lol no!' reaction shots, which would have done the character no favours.

• Love 8

I would label this movie as decent in every way. So, I throw it on top of ever growing heap of movies I see that get praised but do nothing for me. Okay, for these types of movies just isn't enough for me. It's not enough for me to care. Independent of anything in regards to original movie. This movie doesn't do much for me. Which is what I thought it would do. It wouldn't blow me away but wouldn't be the shit box a lot of people wanted to make it our to be. Pretty average blockbuster.

This film doesn't even deserve this much attention. If this movie had just came out like any other movie, it would have melted away into relative obscurity like independence day 2 and so many other movies this summer. It's going to get buried by pets, star trek, and lights out this week too.

• Love 1

After following that link about Leslie, I just want to go give her a hug. She's so funny, and I've always loved her on SNL. I loved her in this movie too.  To have that kind of ugliness spewed at her Is just unreal. I'm amazed that people can turn something so great into an excuse for such ugliness.  

• Love 8

I wasn't impressed. They had plenty of jokes and great CGI effects but the story was pretty lacking. And I hated Hemsworth's character. Stupid people are not intrinsically funny. I really would have liked to know more about the villain. He was just some smart but unappreciated weirdo who with just a copy of Wiig's book and a bunch of junk he salvaged from the trash managed to build a ghost bomb capable of destroying the city?

I don't begrudge anyone who liked the movie. I just found it as decent. I bring up the hyping of certain films because this one just reminds me of Jurassic World in that I just see it as a okay movie in almost every way so any praise for it just goes over my head. Not a I'm right your wrong type of thing. 

I had a feeling this would happen and it's disappointing for me because sadly, these movies under the microscope need to knock it out of the park. It was passable (for me) but that might as well be a failure with so many eyes on it. It would be nice if the movie could just be what it is. But, a lot of people just can't let that happen.

2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I don't begrudge anyone who liked the movie. I just found it as decent. I bring up the hyping of certain films because this one just reminds me of Jurassic World in that I just see it as a okay movie in almost every way so any praise for it just goes over my head. Not a I'm right your wrong type of thing. 

I had a feeling this would happen and it's disappointing for me because sadly, these movies under the microscope need to knock it out of the park. It was passable (for me) but that might as well be a failure with so many eyes on it. It would be nice if the movie could just be what it is. But, a lot of people just can't let that happen.

I can see your point. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but it wasn't the deepest of stories.  I also think that there was no way that this had a chance to live up to the nostalgia, because people remember the original with the haze of the past. When you rewatch the original, it similarly had plenty of misses among it's jokes, and wasn't necessarily the laugh riot I like to remember it being.  

I would still recommend it to anyone who just wants to spend a couple of hours having some light fun.

• Love 1