Type keyword(s) to search

Home And Away - General Discussion

• Start Topic

She really does, though at least she was being interested in someone else.  And then she was genuinely helpful to Denny.  Denny's romances are similar, as she started out like this with Casey.  Breaking up with a brand new love interest is not really smart.  The men here are soap opera men and so they amazingly put up with it.  She rushed it when there was no need to, and he said he'd wait.  

VJ is stuck with Leah but why any man puts up with her is only explained by them being soap opera men.  She's complaining already.  Most people would be really grateful they survived.  

So Phoebe got out of Kyle that he is into family and thought marriage went to support that.  I cracked up that he is the last Braxton left.  And you'd have thought he grew up with them rather than meeting them a year or so ago.  And what man of sense would want to marry Phoebe to have a family?  She is volatile and unreliable and likely to go off on tour any time.  

for all the time he has been on the show, it is previously known Alf was a Vietnam War Vet?  I'm glad they pay attention to Anzac day, they don't always.  

Are the Aussie prisons as violent as the US ones - beat ups seem to happen, and prison rape.  For some reason I thought they might not be as bad.  

Braxton-Hicks contractions, oh my!  

I don't know if that was known about Alf.  Yes I like too that they are paying special attention to ANZAC Day this year, especially as it is the 100th anniversary.

A gang rapist just recently got beat up in prison here.  Don't know how violent it is here in general though.

Heh @ Braxton-Hicks, that was funny.

Wow bang, they broke up Kyle and Phoebe suddenly.  I thought they were good together.

I liked this episode, going to the ANZAC memorial.  Reminds me of my own visit there.

Alf is being a bit silly ; he should be the mature one.  Young girls don't like war; what else is new?   He expected them to feel and understand things that it is he who should be explaining to them.  

Where did they get that trench?  

Maddie and Spencer I don't recall how they stayed in SB; as minors, one would think they could not just do what they wanted.  Spencer and his father I don't remember.  I thought they were from Queensland, not "the city."  At any rate, it did bring to the fore that Maddie and Spencer have not seen their families.  MADD's mother going off on Roo was a bit much.  They did not establish that there was any relationship between the two of them or duty to report.   Maddie's mother did not seem to have made any efforts in all this time to contact Maddie.  

Hannah is improving a whole lot; caring about others and helping them. 

No idea where that trench is, looks like it could be a powerful experience.

Yeah Hannah has had some good moments lately.

I think Alf is so touchy because he hasn't actually dealt with his experiences and not talked about them as so many tend not to, so it's all coming out sideways and looks like he has some PTSD too.  I feel for the men and women who go through unspeakable experiences in war.

It also seemed like he was having flashbacks at the helicopter noise in the exhibition and then later on.  Did they have trenches though in Vietnam?

Why is it that so many characters in H&A and Neighbours refuse to seek out medical help when it is obvious they need it?  Now Leah is doing it. How dumb is that?  Makes the characters look really stupid to me.  And now Alf and Roo go against medical advice.  Such a bad message.

And boom Spender's gone, they sure didn't muck around with his leaving.

I liked the Anzac Day service.

Edited by Nozycat

I googled that!  There was no trench warfare in Vietnam.  It was a jungle there.   In world War I there were, so that would have been meant to approximate Gallipoli, I suppose.  

Yes, having Alf leave the hospital was dumb and what's the point?  They could have simply written that he was released.  Or brought the service to the hospital - not visually interesting though.  

Yes, they had Spencer go and I think without casting his parents, unless I missed something.  Funny they did cast Maddie's mother for her non-leaving.  That actress looked so familiar.  Maybe she had a role in Neighbours.  

Phoebe and Kat are friends now, lol.  Phoebe has had a lot of female friends to support.  I recall that scene of Kat looking at a diamond ring, so I'm thinking dead fiancé.  Though what would that have to do with not wanting to be seen with a man in public or gossiped about - I guess that will all come out.  It is good too that she got past that and let herself be seen with Nate in public.

Yeah I didn't think there were trenches in Vietnam, thanks for googling it.

Yeah dumb to not just release Alf.  And why on earth didn't Roo bring him some pyjamas?

Kat explained something to Nate about what happened in her previous job which was why she didn't want to go public but I wasn't paying that close attention and can't remember the details, sorry.

Ash was in on the holdup or robbery or whatever it was but innocent of the bashing, so still a criminal.  And now he is involved in drug running even if to help Brax.

I hope they can get Matt some help, he's alright when he lets his defences down and seems to be hurting so much.  I thought Phoebe was way out of line trying to talk him out of counselling knowing almost nothing about it and being all 'we're different'.

Ash, Kyle and Ricki are so dumb, imo.  What on earth made them think Gunno would be happy with a once off?  I would say they should have gone to the police but I can see where that could have its own problems and of course is not something they would do.  Still that's way I would have gone.

What was up with Denny  going to Angelo's in her grubby work clothes?

Couldn't stand Hannah again tonight.

Edited by Nozycat

Oh, thanks nozycat, I tend to forget details over time.  The plot where they are doing Gunno's bidding to protect Brax is ridiculous.  Boring really.  Phoebe running around venting about Kyle is dull too.  Nice she is friends with Kat - Kyle is stupid to think that has anything to do with trying to turn them all in.  Though in the long run, Phoebe would do all of us a favor if she turned them all in.  They can go to jail with Brax and protect him there.  

LOL, I am waiting for my niece, Princess Kate and Rikki to drop their kids!  

(edited)

Yeah I forget things too, but they had just talked about this so it came back to me.  I agree boring storyline.  The writers seem to love the criminal element.  And Kyle just made himself look suspicious when Phoebe had said nothing.

Heh @ waiting for all of them to have babies.  Hope all goes well with your niece.

Wow, Ada is a terrible fake crier, imo, I didn't buy that Leah was crying at all either time.  Her eyes were completely dry and it just sounded so fake to me.  And boy is Leah dumb, insisting that she is fine when she so obviously isn't.

Hopefully the Gunno storyline is over now.

Edited by Nozycat

Ash sure was aggressive about getting that room for Billie.  Like there are no other possibilities to look into?  Irene probably has one now.  

Not sure why Kyle/Billie had to go into the plot.  It's not like it would make much difference as the sex was pretty meaningless.  So why does he care if she lives there?  She was so good he's afraid he'll do it again?  

Thanks for the wishes Nozycat.  Now that we have little Princess Charlotte, it leaves only my niece and Rikki!  

Yeah I didn't like the way Ash went about getting the room for Billie at all.

And wow at Billie throwing herself at Kyle after knowing him for all of 5 minutes then being upset with him for not being all lovey dovey.

Hannah and Andy are so dumb, Andy for just deciding to move in and telling Hannah in public, Hannah for not putting the brakes on.

Why on earth don't they give Ada fake tears if she can't act well enough to produce them herself.

So Maddie and Matt may become a couple?  Could work.

Glad they finally have the right diagnosis for Alf.

Billie is starting to seem like a stalker.  

Matt and Maddie didn't hold hands, so that's the end of it, lol.  Young people these days.  Maybe it's not hopeless?  LOL at Evie.  Leave well enough alone.  

Alf is not himself, but typical of that generation that they'd see mental health issues as character flaws.  

Billie, maybe guys don't stick with you because you throw yourself at them before even getting to know them then become clingy.  No it's not the guys, it's you.

Hannah, how about telling Andy he was out of line to just move in and not discuss it in private with you first, then making changes without asking.

Evie, why are you so psychotic about Maddie and Matt?

I hope Alf isn't planning on killing himself.  He seemed happy all of a sudden and that can be a sign.

Yes and he's headed out in a boat by himself.  

The John, Marilyn and Jett plot - I want to tell them he's 16 and he might change his mind, so they shouldn't be so intense and getting him to dig his heels in.  If he really wants to go into the service he will.  But I assume he can't do it until he's 18, so why the intense panic?  

Oscar was good with Andy.  Andy's acting a little immature.  He, Ash and Billie pushed too far to alter everyone's living arrangements.  

LOL nice they tell us the baby comes on Monday.  I hope Brax is not so stupid about why she's not there.  He must know she's nine months pregnant.   Soap babies rarely get to be born in a hospital so I imagine John might have to deliver in the car.  LOL. 

Wow my niece is a week past her due date and was beaten out by Ricki.  Which I didi not expect.  

Marilyn is rather selfish I think; what of Jett's dreams?  Not that they set this up so well and he suddenly wants to be in the army.  

(edited)

Yes I thought that too about Jett not being able to do it for another 2 years so why the panic but then he said something about going to a special school straight away in preparation, cadet school?  So that made more sense.  I agree Marilyn is being selfish and I am hoping she is able to let Jett go.  I understand her fears but that's about her and she is denying Jett a normal part of growing up, finding your own way.

Leah and her stupidity are doing my head in.

And Phoebe - you broke up with Kyle, deal with it.

Glad things backfired on Evie, she was being really creepy with her obsession with Maddie and Matt.

Wow Nate is such an enabler, I would think he would have learnt from the hot mess with Sophie.  And why on earth would he ask Kat to suppress the money after her reaction to the letter he wrote for Ricki, dumb.

Edited by Nozycat

Yeah I wonder at Leah jumping to conclusions like that.  I think they are trying to say the aneurysm is making her brain not work.  That money did not necessarily come from the ATM.  As for Matt admitting it, those shows were too long ago and I don't really remember that night, but maybe he's afraid of the other guys.  

I did like Maddie not melting down at Roo when Alf told her not to.  Those dunderheads Josh and Evie would never have been able to straighten things out themselves.  It was a nice happy ending with them studying in the chemo room with her.  

How long that poor baby has gone without a name!  I like the idea of using the name Casey.  

Nat is pretty dumb for asking Kat to do that, I agree.  He is a doctor so doesn't he get professionalism?  Though he does spend a lot of his professional time tending to friends.  

Leah is being so dumb and selfish about her health, I can't stand it.

Yeah glad they had a good outcome with Evie, Josh and Maddie.

I like it too that they called the baby Casey.

Wow that therapist was so unprofessional telling Roo that Alf walked out on the appointment, has she never heard of confidentiality?  Glad it worked out ok in the end.

Evie did not learn anything.  Again she is poking her nose into Maddie's love life.  

Good for coming up with the Gina references.  Poor Gina died.  I'm sure Leah won't.  She'll just keep yelling at people and making stupid decisions.  

Funny there is an app where you can locate your family - they obviously haven't downloaded that to their iPhones.  Or they could see where Leah was.  My family does it and it's mostly fun - you can see where everyone is.  It's the kind of thing Leah would have wanted VJ to sign onto.  Though one of my nephews would not sign onto it, saying it would mean he was "being stalked."  

Good that Maddie's treatment is working.  They give too many young people cancer in this soap.  It's a Summer Bay staple.  Romeo, Belle, and who knows who else. 

Yes I was thinking that about Evie too.

I have no empathy for Leah, she is just being to dumb and selfish and I feel sorry for her family and friends.  They seem to write sick characters badly so often so that I don't feel for them.

Yes nice they mentioned Gina and that Maddie's treatment is working, I do feel empathy for her now that they are writing her better.

Fairly new viewer (just started watching a few months ago when H&A showed up on Hulu in the U.S.), with just a few observations.

We're a few weeks behind I think, Leah has just got news of her aneurysm, and is refusing to have surgery. My mother had a cerebral aneurysm a few years ago (thankfully a small bleed that caused almost no damage because of it's location). I don't know if they repair an aneurysm that hasn't burst the same way they do one that has, but they went up in the artery in the groin and put in a stint to essentially plug where it broke. She didn't have headaches until it burst and then the blood in the brain caused pressure. The initial headache was so bad, it caused her to pass out. I don't see how Leah thinks she's going to be able to stand the headaches and such.

I don't get why Ash and Ricky think Brax needs protecting in prison. Isn't he supposed to be some tough guy? And all this crazy devotion is just hard to understand: I've seen bricks with more personality than that guy.

Pheobe needs a sedative. For the most part I like her okay, but all that jumping around at the baby shower was just too much!

Overall, I like the show fairly well, but I'm still getting used to the storylines and characters. I had trouble at first especially with the male characters because it just seemed like they were too many that looked too similar and it was hard to tell them apart.

Welcome to the board ncbelle.  

Leah is a very stubborn person who will not accept any help and has the biggest pride ever.   My sister in law had an un-ruptured aneurysm that they tried to remove when they should not have.  She has a stroke and has had some permanent effects. But then she sought treatment, which Lean refused to do.   

Yes welcome ncbelle :-).

Yes the storylines, especially with the Braxton's can do my head in and they have just started a new totally idiotic one imo.  The writers have just loved the criminal element ever since they brought in the River Boys and have moved away from the original concept of fostering.  Although they have brought that back in again lately to some extent.

Kim I am so sorry about your sister in law :-(.

Thank you both for the welcome!

I'm sorry as well about your SIL Kim. The doctors said the location of my mother's aneurysm was actually about the best it could be in because it didn't cut off blood flow to any area of the brain, and really leaked instead of bursting as some people's do. It was in an area called the circle of willis. He did say it may have made her do things she wouldn't normally do. For instance, she went outside and just lay down on the back porch and she was convinced she'd been to work that day (she hadn't). 

I can't say I'm finding Leah to be too appealing, and I cannot stand her son.

I guess Hannah has completely recovered from her injuries now. Not too much of struggle was it, once she was able to stand?

I have to say I do like Ash. I can't really say why particularly, maybe because he doesn't look like anybody else and I can recognize him! I like Marilyn as well. A lot of the others I'm pretty ambivalent towards so far, but I'm sure that will change more as I watch.

None of the episodes on hulu indicate the date, just listed as episode 1, etc, so makes it difficult to figure out where we are in the scheme of things. The first episode we got here was the crash, and in the last I watched Ricki was in labor.

I'd like to see a move back away from the criminal element. I no longer watch US soaps, but that's one thing people complain about all the time, the writers moving toward stories about criminals and less about family or relationships.

(edited)

You're not too far behind then if Ricki just went into labour.

From what they described the operation on Leah sounds very similar to what they did with your mother.

Yeah Leah can be a real pain and VJ too at times, others he's ok.

Hannah did indeed have a miracle recovery.

Heh @ being able to recognise Ash.

I like Marilyn too, she can be a bit of a ditz at times but I think she's a sweetheart and I love the relationship between her, John and Jett.

Wow, lots of lack of boundaries tonight.  Sean getting Hannah's address and jsut showing up there and being really pushy when she was obviously holding him at arm's length.

And what was up with Roo listening in on Alf's therapy sessions - so wrong.

Edited by Nozycat

I agree what was it with Roo spying on the therapy sessions?  And Maria makes house calls, so that's how it made that possible.  

Josh really was a jerk to make that move, though he made up for it by the end.  

The way they start couple with so many breakups - what a jerk move by Ash.  What is it about Brax that he inspires such devotion?  

Thanks for the thoughts about my SIL - she really did do all she could to help herself and had physical challenges too.  Leah did come round but of course only after making her loved ones put up with all sorts of stuff.  The pull the plug stuff was not necessary to put Zach and VJ through.  

So I guess Andy will get jealous of Dr. Sean.  The writing on the wall is there for that!  

Yeah this whole story line with Brax is idiotic, total plot contrivance.  I don't think for a minute he would ask that of Kyle and Ash or keep it a secret from Ricki after everything that has gone before.  And indeed a jerk move by Ash, just goes to show his priorities.

I think talking about end of life stuff is very important.  I have had the talk with my niece so she doesn't have to guess and make hard decisions but knows my wishes.

Oh yes indeed you can see that coming a mile away with Sean and Andy.

Do they think they are entertaining with Ash and Denny breaking up for the 56th time?  It is really getting boring.  

So the end says it does not end as we think.  Well I would think Brax and the cop would both drown.  Maybe the cop could get out, but Brax has handcuffs on.  Or is he just so tough he will swim out?  I even had to laugh at the preview with Ash in that water yelling for Brax.  

The cop Brax saved first took Brax' handcuffs off so he could dive back in and get the driver.  I think the whole story line is monumentally stupid and boring.  Total plot contrivance.  And what is with women on H&A being so willing to go on the run with their criminal husbands/boyfriends?

Yeah it's a total plot contrivance imo without regard to the characters.  I don't think Brax would have been stupid enough to dob in Gunno and not expect that Ricki and the baby would then be in danger.  Or break out and risk getting more jail time and involve Kyle and Ash in the breakout rather than get them to try and clear him - that would have made much more sense to me.  And what a terrible thing to do to Ricki.  But they had to write him out somehow so they went with this.

And they so clearly are leaving him a way back in.  At which time Rikki will be married to someone else, of course.  Soap operas!  Naturally Ash will be in the dog house for not telling.   Or "lying" as soap characters call not telling what you know.  

Looking good!  For the only one left being baby Casey.  

You don't count Kyle?

Still, I will miss Steve Peacocke, but I am more than happy that Brax is gone.

In my viewing time, Leah is currently freaking out at a room full of teenagers, and Evie is still trying to play matchmaker. Andy and Hannah just broke up and are now back together. 

So VJ lives with his mom, and I guess Marilyn and John are Jett's parents. Are the rest of the kids fosters?

When I first started watching, Denny was very against Andy dating Hannah, but it was never said why that was that I saw. Can either of you fill me in that?

Maddie is a foster of Roo.  Oscar and Evie are nephew and niece of Zach and Hannah.  Their parents have both died (Hannah's sister and Zach's brother) so they live with Hannah.  Zach lived there before but got out.  

Can't recall why Denny was against Andy - may have been his criminality, which he has backed off on a great bit.  Then he was so helpful when Hannah will injured that he wormed his way into Denny's good graces.  

Marilyn and John adopted Jett.  In fact, John's previous wife was going to adopt him, but then she died.  Jett started as a foster of John and Gina (his first wife).

Couples on this show break up and get back together, break up and get back together, over and over.   I think Andy and Hannah may have done so at least 5 times lol.  Denny likes to break up with her men frequently.  So we will see how soon it happens again.  

The Leah drama got to be too much.  Very successful operation with two crisis afterward.  And it looked like a third but that turned out happily.  Good for the happy ending.  

Yes it was Andy's criminality and that he was involved in the storyline that led directly to Casey's ( Denny's boyfriend and Brax' brother) death that Denny hated.

Gina died very suddenly of an aneurysm, so sad.  I am glad John and Jett found happiness again with Marilyn, I love them together.

Marilyn is just so genuinely nice. I really like her so far. 

I love that they film so much outdoors - the sights and sounds of the area are two things I'm really enjoying.

Thanks for the answers about Andy.

I've lost count of the number of breakups between the various couples since I've been watching. :) And now it looks like Oscar is maybe interested in Maddy again, or maybe he's just jealous because he thinks she and Matt are interested in one another. Who knows?

Oh it does my head in how they get couples together and immediately break them up, get them back together, break them up again.  I don't know what they are thinking doing that.  I just find it frustrating.  Would rather see the relationship develop.

Yes I love Marilyn although she really annoyed me at first when she moved into the caravan park house and threw all their food out because she is vegetarian or vegan and forced her choices on all the others but I quickly grew to really like her.

(edited)

I couldn't believe they actually went ahead with another public proposal after the last one went so well - not.  Zac was stupid to let Chris railroad him.

Yeah Billie is indeed crazy isn't she.  

Ash is sure moving on quick.  I can understand the moment, but pursuing it?

Hannah is awful, but so is Sean, they deserve each other and Andy deserves a lot better.

So Bonnie Sveen can't cry with tears either, what's up with her and Ada not being able to cry, takes me out of the scene.

Edited by Nozycat

I agree that the public proposal is so dumb no one would really do it.  Not unless both parties already knew they were getting married and were using it to inform their friends and family of their engagement.  No way do you propose to someone to whom you are not sure of the answer.  

On the other hand, Leah would say no regardless of the form.  Now she did purpose to him, but you know she's going to back off and end the relationship at least 5 times - she has never married anyone since the guy who died in America.  Maybe that loss has made her unable to commit.  VJ is totally approving this time, which is a bit different.  

Ash and Denny - really?  The want us to root for them?  Or not.  Getting back together on those terms is so unromantic and non-root-worthy.  Denny deserves better and she needs to learn that.  

(edited)

Heh, Leah is not popular around here.

What did I miss?  Ash and Denny are getting back together?  eta Oh now they are.  But looks like Ash is still playing with Phoebe too.

Billie is a nutjob.  Nate sure does attract the bunny boilers.

Edited by Nozycat