Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: From The Cold

I enjoyed this episode. There is so much tension. I am happy that Quayle was killed by Will. Will had no choice because Quayle  would have told Snyder that Katie was a member of the resistance. I am happy that Broussard escaped.  We have evidence that the aliens have a factory on the moon . Will's friend who worked in the body shop is still alive. I am not sure what was in those tanks . It looked like water. It reminded me of V.

• Love 2

Anyone else think of wayward pines with the hanging terrorists in the end?

Honestly the resistance seems worse than the government.

Only interesting stuff was space, that's new. But I'm ready for this show to end.

• Love 3
(edited)

When Quayle said Katie had an exceptional talent for deception, I said (out loud, while exercising)"Oh please!" The woman has no game face at all. She looks guilty as hell all the time, and the only reason a husband (who is supposedly such a good agent) wouldn't notice is because of the script.

Also, what kind of idiot thinks she can join an insurrection and then say "I take it back, gotta bounce, it's just too hard and I have kiddies to think of." As if being part of a secret cell in a revolutionary group was a job where she has the option to give notice. For a supposed Navy brat - she is incredibly naïve. (speaking as an Army brat who was never that naïve - not even in elementary school).

The parent in me objected when Bram's teacher offered booze - but then I realized that he was already involving him in something that could get him killed - so what's a little booze in comparison?

Though I loved Will killing Quayle, the way he did it was flat out stupid for someone who is supposedly skilled. I thought he was going to do it by pretending to get Quayle out the way he suggested, and then shoot him. Which would have been way easier to explain, since Quayle already came up with the basic story.

I thought it interesting that this colony is the "play nice with the populace" colony (according to what's her face).

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 6
(edited)

A security organization that doesn't record phone calls? Commercial businesses record your phone calls "for quality assurance." Writing science fiction means you try to write fictional science with style. It doesn't mean you can just make up any silliness about everyday stuff. The plot doesn't work.

I see they've doubled down on the "lens" nonsense. Once again, all older large telescopes are reflecting telescopes, and newer ones use CCDs. 

Broussard's affect when upright runs from cold to hostile. He is nearly mute, so you know he isn't inspiring her with his oratory. He has been solely focused on operational planning and execution, so you know he isn't tempting her with the prospect of success. He might be a different man entirely in bed, so I guess he is Katie's lover. 

Effectively, shooting Quayle means Will and Beau have joined the resistance. As typical, the Resistance's ruthlessness avails nothing, and it has screwed up. Snyder is already suspicious and only his reluctance to hurt people he knows (and likes?) has saved their ass at the beginning of their Resistance career. It's really sad when the stereotypical villain Snyder shows more humanity than the hero Will, who had no problem with the death of his wife's BFF and her children.

The much maligned Voyager did an episode called "The Chute." Well, it is hard to be truly original. 

Bram and Teacher are doing more useful Resistance work at this point. Bram's negative reaction to the news Charlie is alive makes me think he and Charlie shared a room before, though.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 5

The biggest problem I still have with the show is its lack of explanation for the motivations of the people in charge, beyond the simplistic "let's make the best of a brutal occupation".  Far beyond just willing to go along, most of Snyder's crew is actually bordering on enthusiastic about subduing the population of LA.  Perhaps the more rebellious and authority-averse sections of the population have already been removed.

Presumably, the invaders have also replicated this system throughout the world, although how they have managed to set up the same systems worldwide is a mystery to me. 

Hopefully, Broussard will now assume some sort of leadership role in the cell, and make it more effective.  All the way up to the market scene, I was thinking that Quayle had some plan in place to take down Snyder, but no, he just wanted out.  A fully stocked pickup?  That wouldn't be out of place, driving up 101 when there's no other traffic, right?

I get the plot device of having two characters having a conversation on a bus, but, in real life, that would have been overheard by everyone nearby, and not everyone is that dumb.

Random observation:  After all the devastation and conquest by the new rulers, Beau and Will are still wearing their seat belts.  Reminds me of an old cartoon with two fishermen on a lake, with mushroom clouds in the distance.  "What does it mean. Irv?  I'll tell what it means.  No size restrictions, and screw the limit."

• Love 3

I thought it interesting that this colony is the "play nice with the populace" colony (according to what's her face).

How many layers of the occupational government are there ?  This visiting VIP is Chief Minister of the Pacific Coast or some nonsense.  So what is Helena's role exactly ?  I just find it surprising that all of this bureaucracy was setup in less than a year.

• Love 3

Random observation:  After all the devastation and conquest by the new rulers, Beau and Will are still wearing their seat belts.

Why wouldn't they be wearing their seatbelts? You can apparently be sent to the factory for almost anything, so people would probably be even more likely to wear their seatbelts because they're afraid that they'll be sent to the factory if they're caught not wearing them.

(edited)

One trivial observation (ymmv). Though I've always liked Josh Holloway, I've never thought he was all that. He was good looking enough in his scruffy way, but didn't really do anything for me. But when he shot Quayle, the close-up right after - well, I climbed aboard the train. I don't know what that says about me, but DAMN, that look worked for me.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

THIS program is laden with lackadaisical *Science Fiction* and lame plot scenarios.

Plotting a sting operation on a public transit bus while passengers stare directly at you and others, virtually, sit atop you. Lotsa secrecy there.

Boorish Preteen behavior sillily expressed by an 'old' Teen.

The unsanctioned killing of a prime asset using an officially issued weapon, yet thoroughly unconcerned about possible ballistics tests.

Hmm. Let's see. What else...Oh, yeah. Feckin' Lori-Kate's irritatingly perpetual wide-wonder visage.

*Aand, what SCI-FI elements(?) 'cause I did NOT see any.

Oh. Surprise, surprise, surprise. We learn that The Factory is not on this (here) Earth but on Luna. Wow(!?) and Yay(!?). Ho hum (YAWN) .

• Love 3

Why wouldn't they be wearing their seatbelts? You can apparently be sent to the factory for almost anything, so people would probably be even more likely to wear their seatbelts because they're afraid that they'll be sent to the factory if they're caught not wearing them.

It's not even that. As long as they are driving, there is a risk, albeit with fewer cars on the road a much smaller one, of a collision. As long as that risk exists, they should wear seat belts. 

How many layers of the occupational government are there ?  This visiting VIP is Chief Minister of the Pacific Coast or some nonsense.  So what is Helena's role exactly ?  I just find it surprising that all of this bureaucracy was setup in less than a year.

Helena is the Chief of staff to the Governor-General of the Los Angeles Colony.

My understanding of the government is:

1. Bloc Governor- Runs the individual blocs of in the colonies. Seems to have a lot of latitude as to how this is done. Reports to the Governor-General.

2. Governor-General- Oversees an entire colony.

3. Chief Minister- Seems to oversee an entire region of Colonies.

The unsanctioned killing of a prime asset using an officially issued weapon, yet thoroughly unconcerned about possible ballistics tests.

Yeah, that really didn't make sense and really should bite him in the ass at some point. I was expecting him to have revealed that the gun was one he picked up off of one of the dead resistance members during the botched raid.

• Love 1

I loved to see a bit of the alien side of the occupation. 

I'm glad Quayle is gone, but I'm starting to think Snyder's right when he says that it's impossible to fight against the aliens. I don't see what they could do against them, unless they find a biological weapon or something like that. 

The biggest problem I still have with the show is its lack of explanation for the motivations of the people in charge, beyond the simplistic "let's make the best of a brutal occupation".  Far beyond just willing to go along, most of Snyder's crew is actually bordering on enthusiastic about subduing the population of LA.  Perhaps the more rebellious and authority-averse sections of the population have already been removed.

I think they said something about that, but anyway, I'm not surprised to find collaborators among the humans. It happens every time. It'd be different if they thought there's no hope of survival, maybe, but as long as they think they can save themselves, some of them will do whatever it takes. And of course, there's people who loves the power, no matter where it comes from. 

• Love 1

This show is frustrating because it fails on delivering the concept I have developed in my head. And the lackluster writing leaves me wonder if my theory is even remotely related to the story the producers are trying to tell.

I think the show is about people, thrust into an extraordinary circumstance, continuing to do what they did when life was "normal". In the version of the show I want to watch, the aliens are pretty much a McGuffin to show us how people can be hardwired into their roles despite their current circumstances where no one really knows how their actions fit into the bigger picture. Will is the consummate professional that continues to hunt down "criminals". The CIA people (Phyllis and Quayle) do CIA stuff. Apollo Creed is too old for this shit. Snyder was and remains a weaselly brown noser. Broussard lives in the shadows. . . (Katie? I have no idea.)

But that theory is all because the writers aren't really developing anything. When I saw that were are headed to the penultimate episode I was surprised because nothing has really happened. With the exception of Broussard, I'm ambivalent with respect to the other characters. And I like Broussard more because of the performance of the actor than what has happened to the character. 

TL:DR The writers tried, it didn't work for me.

• Love 2

I knew there were similarities to "V," but this episode really takes the cake. We have large "water" tanks that are being handled. Only in this case, it appears to actually be something radioactive. We have a(nother) mole who was able to tell La Resistance when and where a high ranking official would be so they could target him/her. We have "scientists" (or schoolteachers) actually trying to use science to figure things out. We have a missing kid, who is the driving force of the lead character.

I'm all for killing off characters to show that the stakes are high or as a natural conclusion to a character's story arc. But, I feel like this show kills characters for no real reason. I still maintain that the character of Phyllis had a lot to offer. I'm not upset about Quayle's death, but I don't understand the point of his character, if he's going to be unceremoniously murdered, unless it's purely a plot device to serve other characters. If he was only out for himself, why go through the trouble of leading La Resistance? I don't have a problem with the conclusion of the female resistance member and her kids. Yet, the writers are killing all of the interesting characters. At this point, who the heck am I supposed to root for? Are Fucking Lori and Sawyer really the good guys on this show? I ask in all seriousness. That whole cell is dead, partly because of them! Are we sure Fucking Lori really isn't a double agent? I think I'd rather the second season be told from the eyes of Les Collaborateurs.

Right now, I feel like I'm watching a poorly written drama, disguised as a sci-fi show. 

It doesn't mean you can just make up any silliness about everyday stuff. The plot doesn't work.

So.  You don't watch BlindSpot.

It seems like a concerted effort is being made to whitewash Snyder.  Every episode we hear how he is the least odious leader around, and how we should love him rather than trying to kill him.  I personally don't like the trend.  

• Love 1

Don't the red hats also wear body or helmet cameras?

I am the farthest thing from an expert, but if Will was using a high caliber pistol and given the short range, the armor may not have been that effective. It is also possible the red hats uniform is more for show/intimidation, so they could only be wearing minimal protection. Regarding the cameras, they could have been disabled because they were at a safe house and any recording could jeopardize its location.

So.  You don't watch BlindSpot.

It seems like a concerted effort is being made to whitewash Snyder.  Every episode we hear how he is the least odious leader around, and how we should love him rather than trying to kill him.  I personally don't like the trend.  

Not Blindspot, no, nor The Blacklist. Nor The Americans. Tried them all out. As it happens I can tolerate sillness, what I really cannot stand is the combination of silliness and grimness, meanness and pomposity. Colony is starting to get on my nerves. 

• Love 1

Not Blindspot, no, nor The Blacklist. Nor The Americans. Tried them all out. As it happens I can tolerate sillness, what I really cannot stand is the combination of silliness and grimness, meanness and pomposity. Colony is starting to get on my nerves. 

I have to watch the latest episode again (I was folding laundry and didn't catch everything), however, the show is in Wandering pines/Dig territory for me at this point. I cannot get over the fact that people are out in the park, biking and going on picnics while La Resistance meanders through discussing "top secret" plans to kill someone, and fuckin' Wide-eyed Lori walks around with full hair AND makeup like EARTH hasn't just been taken over by an invincible alien force and your kid is missing and may be in this "factory" from which no one has been shown to EVER return. As noted in a previous post up thread, they are not scared or nervous enough. Their houses look perfect and clean. No one really seems to be hurting for food. It is all very surface and superficial. I would be paranoid. Even Lori's wide-eyed attempt at fear, don't sell it enough. Everyone should be on eggshells and completely scared and worried about being watched. I am not sure that I would be able to wear fashionable clothes and do my hair and makeup so nicely if my kid was missing and there is this unbeatable force that they actually know so little about that has these drones that can arrive in a couple of minutes. Perhaps if they knew more about their powers, they would leave well enough alone. You cannot beat them! Maybe I am being too critical. I think it would be totally normal to go out to a bar (The Yonk!) when the entire world has just been taken over by an alien force. ;)

• Love 5

I still don't understand why the invaders need human laborers. All the stuff that they've built far exceeds anything humans can provide. Earth humans didn't build the walls. Earth humans didn't build the moon base. And we've seen they have the ability to create super drones. So why can't the drones do the labor? It makes no sense. 

• Love 7

I still don't understand why the invaders need human laborers. All the stuff that they've built far exceeds anything humans can provide. Earth humans didn't build the walls. Earth humans didn't build the moon base. And we've seen they have the ability to create super drones. So why can't the drones do the labor? It makes no sense.

The work the humans are doing on the moon seems like pretty basic stuff. And if the issue is that it's a high radiation zone, if anything drones would be better suited for that (plus you don't have to feed or house the drones).

Plus, the one thing completely glossed over is that the Host/Raps/whatever can control gravity fields. There was that sign in the lunar facility that said 'Gravity Normalized' -- otherwise all the humans would have been bouncing around all over the place like the astronauts did on the moon. If these aliens can manipulate gravity fields and have perfected interstellar travel, humanity hasn't got a chance at rebelling, let alone making things so inconvenient that the Host/Raps/whatever will just up and leave. The Host/Raps/Whatever could just nuke all the colonies from orbit -- problem solved, rebellion over.

Are the Host/Raps/whatever also living on the moon ? More likely on the ship in orbit that brought them to the solar system.

I'm curious if those ship launches from Earth were delivering things to the moon, or are they going to the Host/Raps/whatever spaceship, or are they sending stuff to their home planet ?

• Love 4

If these aliens can manipulate gravity fields and have perfected interstellar travel, humanity hasn't got a chance at rebelling...

Sounds like something said by the Romans.  At Masada.

Broussard remains the best thing about this show for me. I love how that actor can portray menace without ever moving a muscle. I have high hopes the death of Quayle will result in Broussard establishing a new cell with the help of the British guy and his compatriots. A cell that can actually make and execute a competent plan. It would amuse me greatly if Will's son joined the Resistance alongside his mother. He has a lot of information that could be useful.

Quayle's willingness to sell out his group was not set up or foreshadowed very well, but I don't really care. Glad he's gone.

Bram's negative reaction to the news Charlie is alive makes me think he and Charlie shared a room before, though.

Heh. 

They really should have shown us some flashbacks of Charlie so we'd be as invested in getting him back as his parents are. Right now he's just a Macguffin, and I don't care if he's found or not. And I thought it was really irresponsible of Will to show his other kids a picture as proof that Charlie is alive and may come home soon. He knows no such thing, and the picture proves nothing. 

Surprised the season is practically over. It's been a little erratic, but I'm sticking with it for the story I hope they're going to tell.

In the first episode we had Lori scrounging up food and medicine.  Remember how shocked the family was when Sawyer dropped a precious egg?  Now it looks like everyone is comfy cozy in their suburban homes with beautiful lawns and well stocked farmers' markets.  They can even go hang out at the local pub after a hard day's work.  Where is the incentive to resist?

What do the aliens want from Earth anyway?  (Other than labor.)  We should really know by now.

Yeah, killing Quayle and the red hats with the same gun was dumb.  I hope this was a turning point for Sawyer since he now knows Lori is involved in the resistance, at least so he won't do his job so efficiently.

• Love 4

I knew there were similarities to "V," but this episode really takes the cake. We have large "water" tanks that are being handled. Only in this case, it appears to actually be something radioactive. We have a(nother) mole who was able to tell La Resistance when and where a high ranking official would be so they could target him/her. We have "scientists" (or schoolteachers) actually trying to use science to figure things out. We have a missing kid, who is the driving force of the lead character.

I'm all for killing off characters to show that the stakes are high or as a natural conclusion to a character's story arc. But, I feel like this show kills characters for no real reason. I still maintain that the character of Phyllis had a lot to offer. I'm not upset about Quayle's death, but I don't understand the point of his character, if he's going to be unceremoniously murdered, unless it's purely a plot device to serve other characters. If he was only out for himself, why go through the trouble of leading La Resistance? I don't have a problem with the conclusion of the female resistance member and her kids. Yet, the writers are killing all of the interesting characters. At this point, who the heck am I supposed to root for? Are Fucking Lori and Sawyer really the good guys on this show? I ask in all seriousness. That whole cell is dead, partly because of them! Are we sure Fucking Lori really isn't a double agent? I think I'd rather the second season be told from the eyes of Les Collaborateurs.

Right now, I feel like I'm watching a poorly written drama, disguised as a sci-fi show. 

I do think the writers have watched the V movies & TV series. V was much more entertaining to watch. I think the show needs to start showing the aliens. They also need a 5th column. Could Helena or the art lady be part of the 5th column?

Well, something finally happened.  We saw The Factory!  And it was sad that Resistance Lady, who was Katie's friend, was shot (too bad it wasn't Katie).   Quayle was so underwritten, no one cares that he was shot.   Broussard continues to be the only fascinating character for me.  And that outfit Katie had on to "go and open the bar" was kind of sleazy.  Maybe she thought it was trendy.  Seemed out of place,   I'll watch the next episode but I think I'm out after that.  And I love Sawyer.

Katie is a natural at deception???  Uh, no.  I feel sorry for Will, he seems to love her so much.  I hate to say it but I'd be OK with Katie getting killed off, but Will doesn't know whether it was Resistance or Collaboration that did it, and uses his resources to investigate both.  Then we can learn what the hell is what.  Will would be devastated and then find solace in the arms of... Katie's sister maybe?  They bond over Katie's death and already know each other well.  Even if they don't become a couple, there could be a lot of emotional and sexual tension between the two. 

With that being said I am really hoping for another 'love' scene with Josh Holloway this season.  Dude is GOOD at love scenes!  But I think it has more to do with the fact that he was in love with the women he was with in those scenes (speaking about characters, of course) and bringing emotion into it sets it apart.  In LOST when they showed him with the women he was conning, it was meh.  But put him with Freckles or Katie and that is hot, hot, hot!  So, one more love scene with Katie, then she needs to take one for the Resistance. 

It sounds like I'm in the minority, but I like this show.  This is generally not a genre I watch so I don't have much to compare it to.  However, this is not LOST, not primetime on a major network, and it's not 2004.  There is no way they can withhold so much information and stick around long enough to reveal all (or most) in the final season.  Unless they plan on next season being the final season.  I have enough interest to stick around, but it doesn't sound like many others do.  If they are trying to recapture what they had in LOST by using the same formula they need to switch tactics, it will never happen that way again, IMO.   

Side note:  Characters I don't want to see die; Broussard, Will, Beau, Snyder, and the blond girl that works with Will.  I think they all have a lot of potential. 

• Love 2

In the first episode we had Lori scrounging up food and medicine.  Remember how shocked the family was when Sawyer dropped a precious egg?  Now it looks like everyone is comfy cozy in their suburban homes with beautiful lawns and well stocked farmers' markets.  They can even go hang out at the local pub after a hard day's work.  Where is the incentive to resist?

We also saw food vendors selling tasty tacos in the park.

Does money still have value after the "arrival"? Haven't we heard people say something about "credits", or something like that, used to get food? What about credit and debit cards? Are there still banks?

It's really sad when the stereotypical villain Snyder shows more humanity than the hero Will, who had no problem with the death of his wife's BFF and her children.

I thought Snyder very quickly went to a place where he threatened Will & Beau, and he's pulled that with Will before. If this were a carrot and stick model, he keeps yanking the carrot out of reach and threatening to use the stick. You can't keep reversing yourself and expect people to keep on keeping on. They'll lose hope and rebel. I thought it would have made more sense to fork over the kid (if possible) and then just obliquely threaten the family every once and again to ensure compliance. Prove your worth in a real way (it's not like they weren't surviving before) while providing Will with even more to lose.

I also thought some of whatever Will had going on this ep, besides feeling betrayed by his wife and possibly stupid for having been duped, would have been flat out rage directed at her. This is a society where the resistance seems to have next to no chance at the moment. (Not saying they shouldn't try, just saying much of what they've done makes anti-sense. Info gathering seems a smarter tack.) And getting caught in the resistance apparently carries a death sentence for the family members.

If my husband made a unilateral decision that put not only my life but those of our (theoretical) children at risk without telling me, and was as incompetent as fucking Lori to boot, I would be beyond livid. Keep in mind Will told her about collaborating and was doing so to try to save one of their children. She's just ineffectually pursuing an ideal while putting *all* of them at great risk.

• Love 3

After the first episode, I opined that the resistance would be far better off helping the population with food/medicine/other essentials, from whatever source and by whatever means available.  That would garner them widespread goodwill, get their message out as well as an information flow about the rest of the world.  but, no, they're stuck on stupid and campaigning to be martyrs.

• Love 2

After the first episode, I opined that the resistance would be far better off helping the population with food/medicine/other essentials, from whatever source and by whatever means available.

But that wouldn't be resistance, would it?

I thought I saw Will's eyes light up a little when Quayle mentioned a transit pass for outside the wall. Betcha that will pay off at some point.

It's funny to me that Will now knows his wife is part of the Resistance, even as he still works to annihilate them. He seemed completely oblivious to the fact that he participated in an operation that killed some of her friends, and is still trying to kill Broussard, who he now knows is pretty tight with his wife. His reassurances at the end of the episode that she would soon be free of these people seemed more wishful thinking than anything else. Not to mention tone deaf.

I've watched the rendezvous scene in the courtyard a few times now, and I still can't figure out how they  noticed Rachel but totally missed the blonde haired British guy that Broussard spoke to. I loved that Broussard didn't stick around for any lectures or how could you's to Quayle. He just went ghost.