Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Hollywood Ending

It's interesting that it's presumed the file is Michael Carter's. I just assumed it was Margaret(aka Peggy's) file.  True enough though, the rules of writing mean we never would have learned about Michael if it didn't have overarching reasons.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't help it, I adore Howard. He just makes everything better. From being horrified that Jarvis ran over a two time Oscar nominee, to hitting on Rose in front of Samberly, to being friends with Manfredi, to swimming in the nude, I just love him. It makes me sad to think of how he ended up and how his own son describes him later in life.

Jarvis is a treasure, as is Ana. I'm glad Wilkes ended up in a good spot and I'm okay with Peggy and Sousa together (although Peggy and Steve forever!).

Manfredi, for all of his bad qualities, is an amazing man to Whitney. I loved the shades of grey he had--he was nuts and a bad guy, but he also loved her for who she was and really wanted to save her. I wonder how Whitney would have ended up had she stayed with Manfredi and not married Cal. She was a great villain.

Jack was an ass but I'll admit to gasping out loud when he was shot. Dying alone in a cheap hotel room in LA is a sad end no matter how awful he was. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 14

I loved the episode but agree that as a season finale, it was rather anti-climatic. Whitney frost was taken out too quickly and too easily, and we didn't get to see Peggy kick enough ass. Other than that, there were plenty of good stuff: everything Howard, the Peggy/Thompson interactions, Jarvis' affronted look at Peggy ordering a cab, the scientist ego battle... this show really has a knack for fun of its own

My biggest complaint with the season is that, in a way, Peggy's stakes were reduced to her love life and who she would choose, which is the part I was the least interested in. Not that I don't like Sousa, but for a show that celebrated women empowereemnt so much last year, confining Peggy's issues to this only aspect was a bit disappointing.

Now I could watch Peggy, Jarvis and Howard interactions endlessly, those 3 together just rock (Ana could be thrown in the mix as well). If this really is the end of the show, then that is a bummer. It apparently has poor ratings in the US, despite its charm, wit and overall aesthetics. I wonder what it is that the audience don't click with, but it seems to be the case with all my favorite shows. I am really starting to think I'm a jinx.

• Love 6

I got Justice League flashbacks when they were all trying to keep Daniel from being pulled into the rift. It reminded me of when the other Justice Leaguers were trying to pull the Flash from the Speed Force.

I'm okay with Daniel turning out to be Peggy's husband that Cap had saved during the war. Also that Wilkes helped Howard invent the arc reactor.

• Love 1

Decent episode.

I love Wilkes and am glad he exploded but didn't blow up.

Not that invested in Carter and Sousa mostly because he had a fiancee just a hot second ago. A fiancee he asked to marry him after Peggy showed up in LA, and who had to break it off with him.

Jarvis for the win always. 

I actually kinda liked Thompson this episode and I ascribe to the Psych theory that CMM is evil.

• Love 8

I enjoyed it, and if this is the series finale, then I think it wrapped most everything up nicely.  Not surprised that Jack is dead, after the show moved to L.A. it was hard to keep shoehorning him into the episodes when he had his own office and presumably his own threats to address.  If there were to be a season 3 it seems evident that Peggy stays in L.A. with Sousa and Jarvis/Howard.

I did find it odd that Whitney approached the rift thing without even wondering if it was a trap.  She saw Samberley, but did she not see that huge gun that was waiting to zap her?  I guess she was so entranced by the rift that she couldn't think about anything else.

I think Peggy wrapped things up with Wilkes well, she made it clear that he wasn't for her.  He did acknowledge how sorry he was for trying to kill her, but I found it a bit interesting how quick everyone was to forgive him.  He wasn't under the influence of Whitney when he decided to throw in with her.  I suppose the antimatter might have been calling to him, but whatever.

I feel like Agents of SHIELD dug this show a hole when they said Antoine Triplett was the grandson of a Howling Commando.  I suppose they are going to forget they ever said that, because it seems like they are unlikely to ever bring it up again.

If Whitney caught them, they'd need somebody who can defend themselves, and Sousa has shown time and time again he can do that.  Howard, Jarvis, and Wilkes may have 2 healthy legs, but they're nowhere in the class of Sousa in fighting.

What is the point of somebody who can fight when you are going against Whitney? She doesn't even have to touch you to kill you.

You need somebody who can be stealthy and quick. You have to hope not to get caught and if you do get caught, being able to get away quick just might save you.

Plus, Jarvis has some moves.

• Love 3

Manfredi, for all of his bad qualities, is an amazing man to Whitney. I loved the shades of grey he had--he was nuts and a bad guy, but he also loved her for who she was and really wanted to save her. I wonder how Whitney would have ended up had she stayed with Manfredi and not married Cal. She was a great villain.

Manfredi did a nice dark look when Whitney snapped at him about interrupting her (the first time he entered her room).

And I loved his conversation with his Mom with her speaking Italian and him answering in English but her totally understanding his response. 

Manfredi called the woman "nonna," which is grandma.

Didn't they have a bunch of conversation with Peggy about her moving back to New York? I think if Thompson did die, it was so they'd have an open position for Souza back in NY.

They needed to sneak into a villain's hideout and they pick the guy with the bum leg? When the only skill needed was to use a camera? That seems like some dubious planning there.

Except we're in a universe with blind and previously asthmatic superheroes. imo it's that hopeful comic book tone again; the whole point for two seasons has been that Peggy and Sousa can do as much their male/able-bodied counterparts. Realistic? Nope. Don't care, personally.

Manfredi keeps calling the Italian lady Nonna, which would mean she's his grandmother not mother. Nonna is cold-blooded, lol. Maybe she started the business.

Was not expecting a cliffhanger ending, sigh.

• Love 4

What is the point of somebody who can fight when you are going against Whitney? She doesn't even have to touch you to kill you.

You need somebody who can be stealthy and quick. You have to hope not to get caught and if you do get caught, being able to get away quick just might save you.

Plus, Jarvis has some moves.

kili, I'm with you. I found Sousa being Peggy's partner on that mission so unrealistic that it took me out of the scene. On a quick, stealthy, don't get caught, in-and-out mission, you just don't assign the guy with the bad leg whose top speed is significantly less than anyone else's. Sorry, but it's true.

I can fanwank why Howard and Wilkes weren't the ones to go--Howard's brain is too valuable and I could see Wilkes being too scared of Whitney to go back into the belly of the beast--but Jarvis and heck, even Thompson, much as I detest him, would have been better options. Or, you know, Random SSR Grunt #5 who knows how to click a camera button.

Oh, I forgot, a moment that had me HOWLING last night--Manfredi accidentally finding out that his underling was working for the Feds!! That was hysterical! The actor was great at showing Manfredi's total befuddlement and disappointment. That was gold.

• Love 7

Pretty decent finale. Was not expecting Thompson to be shot - the scene before that seemed the proper 'Hollywood ending' and closure for a show that isn't quite sure it'll come back, but damn, poor Jack. If season 3 happens, then obviously he'll survive and we'll also find out what that pin/KEY opens!!

Peggy and Jarvis for the win. Hell, Jarvis for the win. James D'Arcy totally made that character the best evah and could go from gleeful goofiness to downright vengeful anger. Nicely done. I think he was my favourite, but the banter between Peggy, Howard and Jarvis was awesome.

Aww...felt bad for Wilkes but at least he and Peggy had amicable closure, and I loved that Wilkes is now going to head up some research for Howard. Didn't really feel Sousa/Peggy though. Ana though is awesome too. Lovely lady.

Speaking of which, I have to say, Howard is such a hilarious creature in this show. So scatter-brained but at the same time, a genius.

Did think it was a little too easy to dispatch Whitney, but what an amazing villain! Wynn Everett did such a fantastic job. I actually felt bad that she was in the mental ward and whispering to Cal. And poor Manfredi - he just wanted his love Whitney back - only this show can make me feel sad about a mobster!

Definitely missed Dottie though - would have loved to have seen her, but again, if there is a season 3, she'll be back! Can you imagine those two are partners in crime!!

• Love 6

Agents of Shield can only dream of being this terrific - with humor, good dialogue, incredible performances - I have barely been able to watch that show and now that I had the pleasure of watching this one, I doubt I can even keep it on on in the background any longer.  

The big moments and the smallest of moments were so well done.  

Damn - it ended too soon for me; even if it doesn't come back, it was a very very short season.  Drat!

• Love 8

Except we're in a universe with blind and previously asthmatic superheroes. imo it's that hopeful comic book tone again; the whole point for two seasons has been that Peggy and Sousa can do as much their male/able-bodied counterparts. Realistic? Nope. Don't care, personally.

That's like saying they should have sent pre-serum Steve Rogers into battle, where his heroic spirit would have been worth nothing as he collapsed under the weight of his own gear.  Being in a comic book means that heroic people with disabilities can find some way, often "scientific", to compensate and allow them to shine or minimize the disability (invent that perfect leg brace, Howard!).  That doesn't mean you toss them into situations where they're ill-suited for the task because heroic willpower is enough to carry the day.

• Love 5

The scene between Peggy and Ana made me well up.  Peggy really does carry the weight of the world on her shoulders, everything that happens to her "family" she takes full responsibility.  It could have been so easy for Ana to be cordial yet cold to Peggy b/c of her current situation after Peggy re-entered she and Edwin's life, but no, Ana was exactly the same person we had from the beginning, and i love her characterization...and would love to see her pop up in a MCU film, perhaps the next IM film...would love to see she and Edwin in a flashback with a teen Tony.  I do hope that if the show continues on that Ana will be a part of the cast...she fits in seemlessly.

• Love 4
(edited)

That's like saying they should have sent pre-serum Steve Rogers into battle, where his heroic spirit would have been worth nothing as he collapsed under the weight of his own gear. Being in a comic book means that heroic people with disabilities can find some way, often "scientific", to compensate and allow them to shine or minimize the disability (invent that perfect leg brace, Howard!). That doesn't mean you toss them into situations where they're ill-suited for the task because heroic willpower is enough to carry the day.

They did in fact send Steve Rogers to a training camp for able-bodied soldiers, and then selected him for an experimental procedure that could have killed him, because of his strength of character and ~heroic willpower. My point is that superheroes are a fantastic, aspirational genre. Where adopted immigrants and nerdy high school kids can save the day and disabled men get chosen for special hero programs because of their noble hearts. Where Peggy Carter and Natasha Romanov take down roomfuls of men twice their size. If we all cheer on those scenes, then why is it super important to the narrative that we see Sousa's disability hold him back? He's meant to be positive and aspirational for the viewers who know what that shit is like, just like Peggy getting underestimated and kicking ass.

Edited by innocuouspuff
  • Love 12
Not that invested in Carter and Sousa mostly because he had a fiancee just a hot second ago. A fiancee he asked to marry him after Peggy showed up in LA, and who had to break it off with him.

Yes, this! I don't get what the writers were doing with his character or why I'm supposed to be happy for him. If Violet hadn't dumped him, it seems like Sousa wasn't planning to. Why on earth was Peggy even interested in him when he treated Violet so poorly? What about him seems like a good romantic match for forthright, straight-shooting Peggy?

• Love 7

The scene between Peggy and Ana made me well up. Peggy really does carry the weight of the world on her shoulders, everything that happens to her "family" she takes full responsibility. It could have been so easy for Ana to be cordial yet cold to Peggy b/c of her current situation after Peggy re-entered she and Edwin's life, but no, Ana was exactly the same person we had from the beginning, and i love her characterization...and would love to see her pop up in a MCU film, perhaps the next IM film...would love to see she and Edwin in a flashback with a teen Tony. I do hope that if the show continues on that Ana will be a part of the cast...she fits in seemlessly.

Not gonna lie, I would absolutely watch a show that was just the Jarvises plus Peggy living together and dealing with routine domestic everyday life. I was nervous about them introducing Anna but she has slotted so beautifully into the Peggy/Jarvis dynamic, bringing out new facets of their relationship and Peggy herself while not getting in the way at all. Anna is one of the big victories of Season 2 for me:
  • Love 9

That's like saying they should have sent pre-serum Steve Rogers into battle, where his heroic spirit would have been worth nothing as he collapsed under the weight of his own gear.  Being in a comic book means that heroic people with disabilities can find some way, often "scientific", to compensate and allow them to shine or minimize the disability (invent that perfect leg brace, Howard!).  That doesn't mean you toss them into situations where they're ill-suited for the task because heroic willpower is enough to carry the day.

They defiantly depowered Peggy and Dottie with the scenes of Sousa and Rose doing everything they do

(edited)

I'm not going to automatically assume Thompson is dead. Yes, of course he's probably dying, but if there's a season 3 I have a feeling he'll be back. No one pronounced him dead, therefore it's an open question IMO.

He looked pretty dead but you never know. 

What if the guy who killed Jack was Bucky...or does the timeline not work for the Winter Soldier to be in operation this soon?

I was thinking something completely different.  Maybe I've been watching too much Dr. Who and Legends of Tomorrow but didn't the guy that shot Thompson look awful modern?  The cut of the suit, the flap on the pockets, the line of the pants, the dark greyish purple shirt, those hitman gloves and the gun as well, that silencer?  My first thought was that Agents of SHEILD is about to start dabbling in time travel. 

Or maybe they just ran out of money for appropriate costuming. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

He looked pretty dead but you never know.

It's TV. He could definitely still be alive, if the plot calls for it.

I thought the Sousa-almost-getting-pulled-into-the-vortex scene was pretty cheesy, but other than that I really enjoyed the episode. I was pretty convinced the kiss was coming (though they delayed it so long that I was getting a little twitchy), but that was a much better kiss than I expected, and the ending was intriguing (though I guessed Jack would get shot as soon as I heard the knock on the door). Fingers crossed for season three-- this show is too good not to continue.

• Love 1

I agree with those saying while this was a fine episode, it didn't have enough oomph to be a proper finale to the show.  I hope this isn't the end, but I know things don't look too good for renewal ...

My favorite part of the episode was definitely when Jarvis was so very offended by the idea of Peggy taking a taxi, and then so very delighted to be driving her.  Peggy and Jarvis make my heart happy.  Howard too!  He's always great fun.  Ana was an excellent addition to the cast as well, and her scene with Peggy was so sweet.

I was less sold on the relatively easy takedown of Whitney (though I did love Manfredi going to Howard for help because he really loves Whitney, because aww) and the PeggyxSousa romance.  The kiss was hot, but my heart wasn't there.  (Maybe because I'm such a huge PeggyxSteve fan, and no one else has even come close.)  Ah, well.  I also kind of feel like only reason Wilkes threatened Peggy was so that he would be out of the romantic running without Peggy needing to be a jerk (falling for someone else while he was incorporeal), and that feels like a cheat to me.

I still do love this show though, and the ultimate cheat will be if the promise of the story to come in the final scene isn't ever told.  I also think it was Michael who shot Jack and is the M of the file.  One more season of that plus the actual founding of SHIELD would be perfect ... Please, Marvel/ABC/powers that be!

• Love 4

Sousa has eons more experience in stealth and subterfuge than Jason/Howard/Jarvis. I expect the teamwork of SSR agents is also superior to anything other combinations could pull off. That's one of the things I adore about The Americans, the whole point of spying is for no one to ever notice something's awry. If they do, you're screwed already. Imo, for this mission Super Spy Training >>>>>>>>> able-bodied amateur Judo proficiency. Especially because Whitney could just annihilate every breathing thing within a mile of the house if she were truly worried, running's not going to save anyone.

When Wilkes described Zero Matter as a disease, I immediately thought of that infection that drives animals to throw themselves in front of their natural predators to be eaten, and pass along the parasite (fungus? can't remember). I think at that point, Dark Matter had 99% of Whitney's brain capacity focused on opening a rift for it to get through, I don't think there was any room left for common sense, or self-preservation. That, and she's had her intellect squashed all her life and was laying eyes on her creation that can created a stable trans-dimensional rift! She's just proven she's the best scientist in human history! Can't blame her for giving 0 craps about anything else around her.

Funny (not) that Manfredi destroyed Whitney's whole world to recover a woman that never existed in the first place. All his descriptions of her sound like her mother when she was desperate to be supported, not true Whitney, who cared more about dismantling radios and working through math equations than human companionship. I think she fell back on him after killing Cal because she realized she needed muscle, no matter how much stronger Dark Matter had made her. If the Council had been even a little more prepared, Cal may have gotten the better of her and killed her, that shook her. I think Cal actually understood her best, he realized Dark Matter Frost was just her true self behind the mask, and immediately moved to eliminate it. 

I did not like that ending. They have characterized Thompson as being way to squirrely and untrusting to just throw open a door without even looking through the key hole. He's that guy who always has a pistol out and an eye darting to every corner. Especially because he *had to know* there were bigger fish than Vernon furious at his behavior. Have mysterious shooter roll in through the window, at least. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Funny (not) that Manfredi destroyed Whitney's whole world to recover a woman that never existed in the first place. All his descriptions of her sound like her mother when she was desperate to be supported, not true Whitney, who cared more about dismantling radios and working through math equations than human companionship.

Excellent point that I missed. Did the writers put this in on purpose, though, to further acknowledge gender roles in those times?

Likewise:

I'm glad Wilkes ended up in a good spot and I'm okay with Peggy and Sousa together

This post reminds me of when, a few episodes back, a lot of us were questioning why they would show Peggy and Wilkes canoodling (dancing etc.) in public in 1940s without some racist pushback (which they did show against Wilkes in other scenes). Now I'm reminded that in the end the B&W couple did not happen, and, maybe because Peggy is just so awesome, it seems like Wilkes did get 'second place,' and I'm wondering if that was on purpose by the writers to acknowledge the racism of the times once more in the finale. Edited by shapeshifter

I can't be invested in Peggy/Sousa. God, he is so incredibly BORING, I just feel like watching them as a couple would be like watching paint dry. I don't understand why her future husband couldn't have something resembling a personality of any kind. Even Jack and Peggy's interactions are far more interesting, he had some life and edge to him. This guy was just paper with zero spark.

And yet the show was clearly dead set on him being the one for her. I give them credit for sticking with their vision I guess, but man. He's just such a drip.

• Love 9

And yet the show was clearly dead set on him being the one for her. I give them credit for sticking with their vision I guess, but man. He's just such a drip.

I refuse to believe it.  I'm working under the theory that the TV show is letting people who want to think that Sousa is the husband draw their conclusions and that the movies will never confirm it so the rest of us can live happily in denial.  If season three happens, then I don't know what they'll do.. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I agree with the others who have said the finale was pretty underwhelming.  It was definitely the weakest episode of the season for me.  It was just so weird and anti-climatic to have the season's big bad go down basically without a fight.   All of the tension in the episode was focused on whether or not Sousa would get sucked into the hole and that was the wrong place to put it.  There was no element of danger or skill in luring Whitney there and they were able to knock the zero matter out of her way too easily.  

I thought this was a great season for a great show, and it really pained me to see it end on such a 'meh' note.  This finale didn't have anywhere near the drama or the stakes that last year's did.   They spent way too much time on Peggy's romances (it really doesn't help that I find Sousa handsome but dull as hell, so the Sousa/Carter ending had no payoff for me), and not enough time on giving Whitney the dramatic send off she deserved.  

I also agree with the people who are theorizing that Thompson's shooter was Michael Carter or someone connected to him.  I actually already suspected that the redacted SOE file might have been about Michael rather than Peggy.  I thought it was telling that they used initials rather than giving away the full name.  It felt like a clue to me at the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if the file was real after all.  

Man did I feel bad for Manfredi at the end!  Whitney's madness and hallucinations of Cal were heartbreaking.  I did love the reveal that he's an old friend of Howard's though.  The two of them were amusing together.  Oh and it was so nice to see Howard's flying car.  It's a nice forebearer to Lola.

Anyway, I really hope the show comes back for another season.  This episode did not feel like a series finale!  It needs at least one more season to wrap it up, what with Thompson having been shot (I hope he's not dead.  I quite like him as a foil/frenemy for Peggy) and that tease about the Council's pin being a secret key.  Why even show us that if they might not have the chance to follow up on that!  And hell Dottie's on the loose!  ABC just can't leave us here!

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 2

Finally got around to seeing this.  For the most part, I loved it, but I was underwhelmed by a few things.  Mainly how anti-climatic it was when they finally took Whitney Frost down.  The concept makes sense I guess, but having her basically get tricked and all the zero matter sucked out of her, and then quickly getting arrested, felt a little too pat.  I wish we got more of her causing more damage and really being a threat, before they finally got to her.  Oh, well.  Pretty dark ending for her; being driven insane and sent to the loony bin.  And Manfredi looking on, unable to help.  Can't believe I feel for a mobster, but Ken Marino is surprisingly great at showing how hurt Manfredi was.  He was a pleasant surprise this season. 

Howard Stark, baby!  I love him so much.  Everything about him was cracking me up, from his perfect introduction ("Jarvis!  You just hit a woman with my car!"), to him getting on Wilkes nerves, to his reaction to Manfredi holding up poor Jarvis, being so proud of having a portrait of himself in every single room, hitting golf balls at the vortex, and, of course, every time he and Peggy bantered.  Dominic Cooper continues to shine in this role and, with respect to John Slattery, I really wish if Older Howard appears in the Marvel Universe again, they just put Dominic Cooper in make-up instead.

Glad they at least found time to have Peggy say good-bye to most everyone like Wilkes, Ana, and Jarvis.  Loved how thrilled Jarvis was to chauffeur one more time.  Peggy/Jarvis are the best.

Of course, he could get a chance to do it again since he's hanging around in LA.  Because she and Daniel have finally decided to give it a go.  All it took was him almost getting sucked in a vortex to do so!  I really don't care either way about her love life and if he will become her husband, but the kiss was better then normal.

I have no idea what to make of Jack's fate.  Figure something was going down since we saw him and Peggy being civil and even nice to one another, but now he's shot over that mysterious file.  He looked dead, but that doesn't mean anything on TV.  As for the shooter, I so wanted it to be Dottie (didn't see Bridget Regan's name, but hoped for a surprise cameo), but it looked like a guy, so maybe the theories of it being Peggy's brother will end up being true.

If this is truly it, I'm glad we at least got two seasons, but I would be majorly bummed if this is the last time we see Peggy, Jarvis, Howard, and even Jack and Daniel again.  The cast is so amazing and work so well together.  Really enjoyed the newbies and, in particular, can't wait to see what Wynn Everett does next, because she was amazing.  James D'Arcy shined as always, and Dominic Cooper and Bridget Regan made the most of their time.  And then, of course, there is Hayley Atwell, who is probably one of the most talented and most gorgeous leads on television.  If Peggy is done for, I hope she continues to shine.  But, again, I hope we see Peggy Carter again. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I can't be invested in Peggy/Sousa. God, he is so incredibly BORING, I just feel like watching them as a couple would be like watching paint dry. I don't understand why her future husband couldn't have something resembling a personality of any kind. Even Jack and Peggy's interactions are far more interesting, he had some life and edge to him. This guy was just paper with zero spark.

Nah, I can't give them credit for being "true to their vision" here. Because seriously, if ever there was a time that lack of chemistry and lack of charisma/personality dictated that the writers swerve from their preordained plan, this was it. I respect showrunners way more when they see what they have (and don't have) on-screen, and adjust accordingly, rather than forcing bland boringness on the audience because they decided years ago that they wanted a certain endgame.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3
Because seriously, if ever there was a time that lack of chemistry and lack of charisma/personality dictated that the writers swerve from their preordained plan, this was it.
I don't think there was an intrinsic lack of chemistry. I liked Sousa/Peggy as a potential relationship last season. I particularly respected that Sousa didn't let his feelings for Peggy keep him from his responsibilities as an SSR agent last season and that he was the one whose attention to detail meant he figured her out.

But the writing of the romance this season was just incomprehensible. For a 10 episode run meant to end with Peggy/Sousa, why have Violet exist? Why have Sousa not have said anything to Peggy about Violet's existence? If Violet had to exist, why have Sousa go through with the proposal? And why have the Peggy and Wilkes relationship be romantic instead of a friendship or Peggy-guilty-about-an-innocent-caught-in-the-crossfires type of thing? All of those choices meant that some amount of people who otherwise would have been happy with Peggy/Sousa wouldn't be happy with them.

Dottie/Peggy have the best chemistry anyway. 

• Love 7
(edited)

But the writing of the romance this season was just incomprehensible. For a 10 episode run meant to end with Peggy/Sousa, why have Violet exist? Why have Sousa not have said anything to Peggy about Violet's existence? If Violet had to exist, why have Sousa go through with the proposal? 

I don't think I ever could have been enthusiastic about a Daniel/Peggy pairing (I actually agree with the previous poster in that I find their chemistry lacking), but the inclusion of the Violet plot line definitely made this story line even less appealing that it already was.  It never set right with me that Sousa essentially "ghosted" Peggy between seasons 1 and 2 instead of being honest about needing to move on and then about having a serious girlfriend.  I also didn't like the fact that we never saw him make peace with Violet after she found out about his feelings toward Peggy.  Daniel really led her on, and it felt really cold the way the show abandoned her as soon as she stopped being useful as one leg of the ridiculous Peggy/Sousa/Violet/Wilkes love rhombus.  Violet deserved better!

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 6

I loved how much Manfredi obviously adored Whitney and never felt that the dark matter marks on her face marred her beauty. One of my favorite moments between them was last week when she covered part of her face and he told her she had never looked more beautiful and told her not to hide those marks. Such a contrast from Cal's horror when he discovered the marks on her face.

Manfredi only became concerned with the dark matter because he saw how her personality changed, becoming obsessive and impatient, entirely consumed with the rift and obtaining more dark matter. Until this episode, he was totally supportive of her quest for power. But even if Whitney's story hadn't ended this way, I don't think they would have had a happily ever after because he was clearly way more into Whitney than she was into him.

I did find it odd that Whitney approached the rift thing without even wondering if it was a trap.

I think that she was so drawn to it that she couldn't help herself. Remember how drawn she was to that body a few episodes ago and the black matter in the rift was so much stronger.

And I loved his conversation with his Mom with her speaking Italian and him answering in English but her totally understanding his response.

I know a lot of people who are first or second generation Americans who communicate the same way with their parents or grandparents so it was very realistic to me.

Hee, not at all surprised that Manfredi and Howard are friends, nor that Manfredi's idea of making an entrance is to take Howard's butler at gunpoint just for laughs.

I think they used Howard perfectly throughout this season, dropping in often enough to be seen regularly but not too often that his ridiculous attitude becomes tiresome. I always want to see more of him, which is a good thing.

Jarvis is just perfection. His dejected Charlie Brown sadness when Peggy told him that she'd already called a cab was more melodramatic than I've come to expect from him, as was his delighted "Splendid!" when Ana called him back to drive Peggy.

• Love 4
Agents of Shield can only dream of being this terrific - with humor, good dialogue, incredible performances - I have barely been able to watch that show and now that I had the pleasure of watching this one, I doubt I can even keep it on on in the background any longer.

I've really tried with AoS but none of the characters have ever grabbed me, and it's just so glaring that just about every character in the "Agent Carter" saga has on one level or another.   Peggy is the crown jewel but I'm invested in the fates of Sousa, Jarvis, Jack, Ana and I'd even like to know what ultimately happens to Dottie.   

Whitney Frost (though I've made my dislike of the more sci-fi aspects of this season known) was also engaging and in some ways, sadly poignant.   I think I may like/love more characters in the Carter era then in the current MCU.   Everyone is just so relatable in one way or another.

• Love 6
(edited)

Nah, I can't give them credit for being "true to their vision" here. Because seriously, if ever there was a time that lack of chemistry and lack of charisma/personality dictated that the writers swerve from their preordained plan, this was it. I respect showrunners way more when they see what they have (and don't have) on-screen, and adjust accordingly, rather than forcing bland boringness on the audience because they decided years ago that they wanted a certain endgame.

However, considering that chemistry is subjective--you and others don't see it, I and others do--perhaps the showrunners DO see it. To me, Peggy and Sousa had a ton of chemistry. To me and many others, Sousa was not bland and boring--he had layers. If the show had gone with Peggy and Wilkes, or Peggy and no one, I wouldn't be happy but I couldn't call the showrunners wrong, because in the end it's THEIR show, not a show that's run by a committee of fans.  

I do agree with those who have said that Violet was a misstep. Unless it was meant to pay off down the line in a later season, I think they could have kept the tension up without her being around.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 9

I love Howard so much. So so much. I didn't care who Peggy chose but I was shipping Manfredi and Whitney hard. What is wrong with me? If this show comes back I'd like to see Howard and Peggy forming Shield. I think Thompson is dead. He looked pretty dead.

• Love 2

I wish I could understand why people watch the same boring crime/medical/legal shows over and over again and not good drama with witty dialogue and interesting characters.

This show was so good, good strong female characters, complex male characters, great drama and story lines.  I will miss this show terribly if it gets cancelled.  I did like how they set up the cliff-hanger, who killed Thompson, was it Peggy's brother?  Is that the M.Carter in the file?  Did Masters know that "M.Carter" was not Peggy, but decided to use it anyway?  Did Master's know Peggy's brother is still around, if that was him?  If its not the brother, who was it?  And Dottie is still out there, whom I sure would be seen again in another season.

I almost felt bad Manfredi, if he wasn't, you know, a gangster who killed people.

I chuckled a bit with how fast they got those photos developed.  Afterall, its late 1940s, no digital cameras, no polaroids, no 1-hour photo developing machines.  Each photos had to be hand developed.  So a little anachronistic, but I'll live.

• Love 1

Good god, Howard pumps so much life into the episodes he's in. It seems like Dominic Cooper really enjoys playing him, just as James D'Arcy enjoys playing Jarvis. For whatever reason I didn't get that same impression out of Haley Atwell this season. It wasn't quite Daniel Craig playing Bond in Spectre levels of not-giving-a-shit, but maybe with the additional requirements for Ultron and Ant-Man she just got a little tired of the character, which I get. She can play it in her sleep at this point, but she wanted to do something else. This season definitely didn't capture me as much as the first. The post-war dynamics and tie in to the Black Widow program kept a lot added a lot and those were mostly gone in place of some roughly handled racial issues with Wilkes.

What was that key a key to???? Thompson's shooter didn't appear to want it. Just the file. Ahhh I need answers!

If there is a third season (or maybe a Netflix feature on the founding of SHIELD), I hope it features more Howard and none of Matt Braunger's character.

• Love 1

I'd like to know what they were thinking with the anti-climatic confrontation with Whitney.  Seriously, after slowly chasing them out of a building, Whitney spends half of the episode writing equations in her room before getting lured to the movie studio and depowered one, two, three.  That's how you have your main villain defeated?  That's how you resolve the zero energy storyline?  Did they just say **** it when it came to right this resolution and decide to resolve it in the quickest and easiest way imaginable?  That resolution really reflects badly on the writing staff and showrunners there.

• Love 1

I think Thompson is dead. He looked pretty dead.

He looked dead enough to be dead but it was ambiguous enough to have him survive. I suppose it depends upon renewal and actor availability and casting budget as much as where the story would go. I liked the ambiguity of his character, but maybe that was the writers not being sure what to do with him.

• Love 2

I think I like Howard better than Tony... which is odd because they're so much alike that Tony could easily be a clone. 

I also hope this comes back. It's a sparkling show and it's fun and I love the pulp feel to the science and stuff like that. I was more than happy with Daniel and Peggy at the end. Seemed to me that he was a foregone conclusion since the first season and I rather loved their chemistry. They are believable to me as a pairing and there are enough similarities between Daniel and Skinny Steve that I can see Peggy being drawn to that. They both have guts and they have integrity which is more than some of the more flashy guys can say.

As a sidenote: those pajamas Peggy was wearing when she was briefly convalescing after her impalement a few episodes ago? I want them. I cover them.

Season 3 needs to happen. I want to know what happens to Jack. I want to know what happens with Peggy and Daniel. I want to know what happens with Jarvis and Anna. I need more Howard. And Dottie... what about her? And what is the deal with M Carter?!

Do the right thing whoever's in charge!!

• Love 5

As a sidenote: those pajamas Peggy was wearing when she was briefly convalescing after her impalement a few episodes ago? I want them. I cover them.

I want them too. I admit it's my favorite outfit of the whole season lol!

Oh, I loved the episode. Maybe the Whitney thing was resolved a bit too easily, but overall a great season 2 finale. 

• Love 1
He looked dead enough to be dead but it was ambiguous enough to have him survive. I suppose it depends upon renewal and actor availability and casting budget as much as where the story would go. I liked the ambiguity of his character, but maybe that was the writers not being sure what to do with him.

Oh, I don't want him to be dead. he's a douchebag but he amuses me. But he did look pretty dead.

I don't watch the bland charisma free AOS. This show has great characters. Even the douchebags are great. I just don't understand why this show isn't getting good ratings. 

• Love 2

I think I like Howard better than Tony... which is odd because they're so much alike that Tony could easily be a clone.

Howard is basically fun drunk Tony from the first Iron Man before he became more serious and less alcoholic in the subsequent Iron Man/Avengers films.

• Love 1

I just don't understand why this show isn't getting good ratings.

I don't know maybe things like the big bad being locked in her room and when it came time for the finale showdown her action is off screen before zombie walking to the end. The tone was never consitant like the Jarvis "hands up" gesture was in the Adam Ward 60s Batman camp category

• Love 1

Comic book plotting usually results in 'sexual tension for a decade presuming the two characters can even kiss (powers sometimes inhibit this) followed by death, resurrection, clones, death, resurrection, book reboot, marriage, interloper, death, resurrection, more death, complete reboot all over again.'

And that's if you're lucky.

Sometimes it results in 'characters make a deal with the devil to save the life of an ancient family member and erase all existence of the previous multi-decade relationship.'

Suffice to say, comic books have a lot of shit going on but consistent partner swapping is more the realm of television soap opera while consistent pair ups that last for ages (with minor blips) until the editorial staff is completely changed are more what follows comics.

Basically, Peggy kissing Daniel means they're totes a couple and will probably get married. On the upside, for those who don't like the pairing, Peggy's the main focus so Daniel would be the one to get fridged.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5