Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: Burn This

After the stalker nearly killed Emily, the Liars begin to take the threats more seriously and attempt to keep their mouths shut to prevent any further harm. Caleb must deal with the collateral damage of taking the blame for the leak about Yvonne; Spencer tries to comfort him and get him to tell the truth. Emily goes on a mission to track down who came after her. Aria and Ezra move forward with the novel. Meanwhile, Hanna avoids dealing with her personal life.

Promo:

You just said "Aria and Ezra move forward." I'm pretty sure you just said that.

Dammit. Couldn't we get like, a FEW more Ezria-free episodes? No?

Oh well. Maybe he'll stay in his new gimmick of Angry Drunk Ezra and just mope around in the background except when needed for random outbursts of entertainment value? Please?

My first thought when I saw the promo - "The fashion police finally caught Aria Montgomery".

the Liars begin to take the threats more seriously and attempt to keep their mouths shut to prevent any further harm.

Because that worked so well for them in the past...

• Love 4
(edited)

This show just gets more and more absurd each week.

-Spencer’s pregnancy test: Longest 3 minutes I’ve ever seen.  As a mother of 2 I never even left the bathroom when I took mine.  The response is usually quicker than the time allowed.

-Ashley’s spare room offer: Inappropriate much? I think if I was Jordan I’d be pretty pissed at my future mother in law.

-Ezra’s co-writing offer:  Hmm, maybe the real best seller is the story about the teacher who hooks up with his underage student and films her and her friends.

-Caleb taking the fall:  Like the press couldn’t connect the dots. A denial would seem a better route than tossing Caleb under the bus. And wouldn’t the press have a field day with Yvonne dating Spencer’s ex?

-the bridal shower: Does Hannah not have NYC friends that know both of them? 

I’m not even going to touch on that silly loft control system going haywire, Spencer’s awful suit outfit in the beginning, or the on-the-take mechanic who I spent the whole episode trying to figure out if he/she was male or female.

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 6
(edited)

Why was Spencer just telling Caleb to tell Toby? Why didn't she open her mouth in that scene and tell Toby herself. 

Liam is so out of his league, he has no chance at all.

Aria  almost told Ezra about A. She should have just told him. Their connection is still there especially in his scenes at the hospital. Liam was not who she wanted at her bedside. 

I get Ashley prefers and loves Caleb, but giving him a room when Hannah is there plus her fiancee comes & goes is a tad weird.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1
(edited)

I probably shouldn't have waited an hour to comment on this episode because most of it has slipped out of my memory.  I'm having a hard time taking EmojA seriously because the texts keep looking like they were written by a 14 year old.  Maybe the new enemy really is that group of teens Spencer saw in the premiere.

I guess the PLLs won't be able to use Lucas's automated death trap loft as their forward base of operations any more. 

I liked how it was Emily confronting Mona.  Emily has previously threatened Mona with violence, so her "get in the car" carried a nice bit of menace.

Why does EmojA want the murder solved before the election? 

How this conversation should have gone:

Tanner:  "We'd like you to come down for a line-up".

Aria:  "Do you have a warrant?  A subpoena?"

Tanner:  "No."

Aria:  "Then fuck your way right off my porch."

Seriously, taking the word of Shower Harvey against the word of Shower's victims -- Tanner needs to be booted off the case for clear bias.

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 7

Yeah the only scenes that I liked were the flashbacks with Toby and Spencer.  I mean a pregnancy scare seems like the most obvious plot point for a teen soap opera ever, but at least Troian had some dramatic acting for once this season, instead of writers simply putting the Lairs on screen with their various love interests, to play with the emotions of the shippers.

Oh also what did Emily say about a pink drink to Hanna at the start of the episode?  Does Ashley still think a pink drink is lesbian code for something?  Well at least it was a call back to a better season, lol.

• Love 2

I'm so glad Aria said something to Tanner about how she was the one who had been the victim 5 years ago and Tanner shouldn't be acting like she's some common criminal. Although I'm not sure why Aria was giving Tanner credit for rescuing her from the dollhouse. 

So why IS Hannah freezing out Mona? 

• Love 2
Yeah the only scenes that I liked were the flashbacks with Toby and Spencer.

It was a great scene for Troian.  Too bad she was acting opposite Keegan Allen.  Though he did do a decent job at the silent slightly panicked look.  His dialog was knida flat though, and I laughed out loud at his obvious "wiping away a non-existent tear". 

• Love 1
(edited)

Aria:  "Then fuck your way right off my porch.",

ITA. Tanner is acting like Aria's the one who terrorized people and is the dumb cop who let it happen.  Ezra should have stepped in and demanded a warrant himself.  I wish drunk Ezra was there during the scene, he may have had some comments to Tanner. It would have been at least someone putting her in her place.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

or the on-the-take mechanic who I spent the whole episode trying to figure out if he/she was male or female.

I think it was Furlow from Farscape disguised as a human?

• Love 1

I am so tired of these morons not telling people when they get threatened or even when they get flambéed, & why is Caleb taking the fall for the leak? I'm not even going to go into Aria participating in a lineup without consulting a lawyer. 

• Love 4

First I need to address Hanna's outfit: yellow, black, and white baggy fuzzy sweater with a burgundy and piano print skirt? On the other hand, I loved Emily's black dress with white stars and Ashley's blue dress at the wedding shower.

I don't know if I should give Emily credit for being brave enough to look for the truck or judge her for being stupid enough to do that.

Love that Mona is back to being her usual shady self. I totally cracked up when she said, "I can't talk about this here." Obviously Shower Emoji has cameras on every street in Rosewood to spy on the girls, just like the old days of Ezra being a creeper! But, yes, Mona, please tell me exactly where you CAN safely talk about calling Charlotte from the Two Crows Diner. Regardless of her true motivation, the fact that she still had the wedding book she and Hanna made in seventh grade was adorable.

Oh, Caleb. Being noble just gets you fired, kicked out of your girlfriend's house, and punched in the face.

I just can't with Spencer's dad's righteous indignation. First of all, nice job spying on your daughter. Leaking information isn't in line with the family's values? This coming from the guy who had an affair with Jessica DiLaurentis, burned Spencer's field hockey stick because he thought she killed Alison, asked Spencer to throw a tennis match to help him land a client, changed one of the DiLaurentis wills, etc. But yeah, leaking information is way worse than that.

If there's anything I've learned from all my years of watching Law & Order and other procedurals, the first response to the police asking you anything is, "Do you have a warrant? Am I under arrest? No? Buh bye then!"

Seriously, taking the word of Shower Harvey against the word of Shower's victims -- Tanner needs to be booted off the case for clear bias.

No kidding. First she relentlessly hounded the girls and their families, accusing them of killing Wilden (Ashley), killing Shana (Alison), killing Bethany (all four PLLs), killing Mona (Alison), and cyber jacking a police van headed to jail (Caleb) - and it's worth noting that she was wrong about every single one of those accusations. Now that she knows the girls were kidnapped by Charlotte and tortured for months, instead of having any sympathy for them she is back to haranguing them.

• Love 8

Yeah the only scenes that I liked were the flashbacks with Toby and Spencer. I mean a pregnancy scare seems like the most obvious plot point for a teen soap opera ever, but at least Troian had some dramatic acting for once this season, instead of writers simply putting the Lairs on screen with their various love interests, to play with the emotions of the shippers.

Bonus: Troian got to leave the bang-wig off for the scene.

But yeah, she did a great job with that scene. Also, the makeup on her was well done, she looked all red-rimmed and washed out.

(edited)

No kidding. First she relentlessly hounded the girls and their families, accusing them of killing Wilden (Ashley), killing Shana (Alison), killing Bethany (all four PLLs), killing Mona (Alison), and cyber jacking a police van headed to jail (Caleb) - and it's worth noting that she was wrong about every single one of those accusations. Now that she knows the girls were kidnapped by Charlotte and tortured for months, instead of having any sympathy for them she is back to haranguing them.

I kind of need this to be dialogue on the show, preferably delivered by a Spencer who has gone absolutely incandescent with righteous fury.

Really, these families should be able to get away with any crime they wanted to commit for about 20 years. Veronica should be able to rig a car accident that injures her opponent badly enough that she has to drop out, and when the cops say "we think you're behind this," she should be able to shoot back "really? Remember how well it's worked out every other time you thought my family was involved in something?"  Hannah should be able to shoplift her merry way through Rosewood, and when the cops say "we have you on videotape shoving a wet vac in your purse," her reply should be "really? You remember how all the other incriminating videos you've had of me and my friends worked out?"  Caleb should be able to hack into the central bank, steal all the money, and when the cops say "this has your hacking signature," he should say "what, like all the other cyber terrorism you've accused me of?" And then smile at them through his brand new solid gold, diamond encrusted grill.  

Edited by abbottrabbit
  • Love 9

Ha, now that you mention it, I can totally hear Spencer saying that vehemently to Tanner or Rosewood PD. But I would much prefer the situations you came up with! I find it both hilarious and pathetic that week after week, the forum comes up with more plausible, logical, and amusing things that the show could be doing.

I love that Aria is so familiar with police procedures now that she knew to go around to the other door of the police station to find out who this witness was. And OF COURSE it was Shower Emoji.

• Love 1

Even when the girls were in actual high school, the show was never this much of a teen drama.  Now we are getting pregnancy scares and guys punching each other over a girl?  Please, I was cringing for eveyone invoved in this teen trope fest.  At least Emily was proactive with finding oit where the car was fixed and then confronting Mona--she seems to be the only one actively working on this mystery.

I didn't quite understand why Spencer kept screeching at Caleb to tell Toby the truth.  I don't know Spence, maybe you could explain to your ex-boyfriend who might actually listen to you.

And I guess the point of the bridal shower was to show how little any of Hanna's friends actually knows Jordan--yeah we get it, Hanna shouldn't be marrying this guy.

I'm not quite sure why any of the girls take Tanner seriously anyway.

• Love 1

Borrowed from the Quotes thread:

Liam: It wasn't an accident. [Ezra] didn't fall off a bicycle. He made a decision.

I love how Liam has met Ezra like twice and already pegged how skeezy he is.  He's so gross and manipulative in the scene where he convinces Aria to sleep with him, I mean, write the book with him, that I can't see anything other than manipulation in their other scene at the hospital.  On the surface he seemed caring and supportive but it still had an undercurrent of trying to weasel his way back into more of her life.

And reading fashion advice to Aria was all kinds of wrong.  Though if she does get back together with him, she might want to keep that pamphlet on staph infections.

• Love 4
(edited)

Wow, the Previously.TV recapper questions Tanner’s professionalism even more than I do. 

That police line-up made no sense at all.  Shower Harvey was the witness trying to identify someone, right?  “Here are 4 strangers and a girl that you helped torment for a year.  Do you recognize any of them?”  That’d never fly in court.  Was Shower also the person who provided the written description that Aria saw on Tanners desk (including the keychain), or was that someone else?

I guess this does answer the question of “why don’t the PLLs just go to the cops about the texts”.  Tanner is such a hack that she’d use anything they gave her as evidence against them.  I’m sure if Emily had called them after receiving the egg-napping ransom notes, Tanner would put her on the top of the suspect lists for the lab break in. 

[it’s hard to capture Tanner’s tone and lilting speaking manner, so use your imagination]

Tanner:  “That fertility clinic has had a spotless record for the last five years.  I find it very interesting that just after you use their services, they happen to have a break-in where all their stored eggs are destroyed, except for yours.  Don’t you find that to be quite an astonishing coincidence?”

Emily:  “What are you insinuating?”

Tanner:  “I’m not insinuating anything.  I just think it’s curious that your eggs were the only ones not destroyed.  You were paid quite a bit of money for those eggs, weren’t you?  Since they didn’t actually get used by anyone, they’re now they’re available to be sold again for even more money.  That sounds quite lucrative to me.  Wouldn’t you agree?”

Emily:  “You think I stole my own eggs?!?”

Tanner:  “Not at all.  It’s funny though, that you jumped immediately to that conclusion.  Why do you think that is?”

Emily:  [throws battery acid in her face]

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 11
(edited)
Yeah the only scenes that I liked were the flashbacks with Toby and Spencer.  I mean a pregnancy scare seems like the most obvious plot point for a teen soap opera ever, but at least Troian had some dramatic acting for once this season, instead of writers simply putting the Lairs on screen with their various love interests, to play with the emotions of the shippers.

I agree. The flashbacks are quickly becoming by far the best part of this season for me. Not only was Troian incredible in that scene but I kinda like that Toby and Spencer's relationship could push through A's reign of terror and make it to the other side but it was something as common as a pregnancy scare that made them face their (obvious) incompatibilities. It also paralled Hanna and Caleb who I never really understood as a couple and surely as they grew up a little, settled into their personalities more and started going after what they want, also realized they're incompatible as well. Why did I have to put up with these couples for 5 seasons show?

I love how Liam has met Ezra like twice and already pegged how skeezy he is.  He's so gross and manipulative in the scene where he convinces Aria to sleep with him, I mean, write the book with him, that I can't see anything other than manipulation in their other scene at the hospital.  On the surface he seemed caring and supportive but it still had an undercurrent of trying to weasel his way back into more of her life.

Ha! This. Ezra doesn't even strike me as that into Aria anymore (thank God!). I mean sure he's fond of her, why wouldn't he be, but Aria is the one with the constante moon eyes. I too get the impression he's using her and fostering this terrible codependent thing with her and I think it's possible at some point he might get away with the taking the credit of writing the book all to himself. I don't trust that Jillian person. I don't know how this stuff works, but shouldn't Aria be writing some sort of contract right around now to protect herself?

And I guess the point of the bridal shower was to show how little any of Hanna's friends actually knows Jordan--yeah we get it, Hanna shouldn't be marrying this guy.

And the guy shouldn't be marrying Hanna either. Can you say "red flags" all around? Run, Jordan, run! They wouldn't make it through the year. Hanna loves their situation but she doesn't love him. And she doesn't love Caleb anymore either. He's just a handy excuse for her wishy-washness. He's dating her friend, which makes deciding she's in love with him still safe. I've seen it in real life and I know how it ends, can we flash-forward through it please?

That said, while full of anvils, I did appreciate the scene: Hanna looked better than she has looked all season and the show is working with what it has build up until this point and not forcing anything down our throats. 

Ashley’s spare room offer: Inappropriate much? I think if I was Jordan I’d be pretty pissed at my future mother in law.

I agree but it was such a Mom thing to do! Same with inviting Mona into the bridal shower when Hanna clearly didn't want to.

This can't be said enough. Can't they bring Wilden back? At least he was pretty to look at.

I guess this does answer the question of “why don’t the PLLs just go to the cops about the texts”.  Tanner is such a hack that she’d use anything they gave her as evidence against them.  I’m sure if Emily had called them after receiving the egg-napping ransom notes, Tanner would put her on the top of the suspect lists for the lab break in.

It doesn't answer the question WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY STILL DOING AT THIS TOWN?? Which brings me to: I love how shocked and disdainful Spencer and Emily (?) seem at Melissa fleeing to London when crazy shit start happening again. If you have the means, why wouldn't you flee to Europe to escape being wrongfully accused of a murder?? These girls are the insane ones sticking around this town to be terrorized and incrimating themselves with the incompetent police. Seriously, look at your life, look at your choices.

Last but not least: poor, poor Aria. If she wasn't a main character I might have thought she would have been killed.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
(edited)

This episode almost put me to sleep. Not figuratively, literally.

Is Ashley on drugs or someone had poisoned her wine or something? Acting like Mona is still Hanna's close friend? Even if we ignore the elephant in the room, namely Mona being A for a while, it's been five years, Ashley. It's odd enough that Hanna's bridal shower guests were almost entirely her high school friends, you don't need to force her to bring one more. Talk about OOC behaviour for the sake of contrived drama.

And why was Hanna whining about Ashley not seeing Jordan enough when, as far as I remember, she has hardly ever visited Rosewood in these five years?

Good to see people jumping on Tanner's hate train. I have always disliked her, even when many fans claimed she was the only good detective in Rosewood.

Hats off to Troian because that was some superb acting but when I heard Spencer say "Are we going to live in my dorm room" I just had to yell "Did you forget your family is rich?".

I can't believe Emily has managed to stay single for eight episode now. Has there been an exodus of the numerous lesbian population of Rosewood?

They did tell Alison about EmojiA last episode, right? Did they tell her about the wannabe monster truck chasing Emily? Not that I want Alison in the show, mind you but the way she appears and disappears is hilariously contrived. I bet some Emison shippers are complaining she wasn't there to comfort Emily.

I feel like this show is going nowhere.

Not true - it's going from bad to worse, that's something.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 3

I get that the Liars have difficulties with the local police, but after four years of college none of them have the brains to get a good lawyer and take the harassing texts to the state police. Hello Aria--I'm specifically looking at you Miss I-went-willingly-without-an-attorney-present-to-a-lineup!  The fact that they are still keeping these pseudo A texts a secret is just juvenile to me.

Speaking of juvenile, while I appreciate that the couples flashbacks are helping explain where the relationships went awry, I just couldn't get past how angsty Spencer and Toby's was portrayed.  Did Toby drive the whole way to Georgetown just so he could be there for Spencer to pee on a stick and so they could anguish in person about the possible results during that endless 3 minute wait or did Spencer actually wait till the next time he visited to find out why she was late? I don't really care, I just found the whole scene so annoyingly angsty, the dingy dark dorm room set to compliment the mood of the scene. Give me a break. They were in a relationship for years/had sex for years, a pregnancy scare somewhere during that time just didn't seem worthy of the drama. But I do get that it showed how they viewed their current/future paths differently.

(edited)
Did Toby drive the whole way to Georgetown just so he could be there for Spencer to pee on a stick and so they could anguish in person about the possible results during that endless 3 minute wait or did Spencer actually wait till the next time he visited to find out why she was late?

Yes! I kept thinking it would have been way more realistic for Spencer to find out herself whether she was pregnant and, if it was the case, take care of it by herself, given she appeared to have a very set idea about not having a baby then (if ever) and avoid that fight with Toby altogether given, come on, it was totally predictable it would happen.

With that said, I do given the show a break over this because it wouldn't have worked in a dramatic sense if it was done otherwise. And Spencer has shown herself to be surprisingly naive and idealistic at times so I don't think it's out character things would have went down like they did.

They were in a relationship for years/had sex for years, a pregnancy scare somewhere during that time just didn't seem worthy of the drama.

It really depends on the kind of relationship you have, imo. If you already, on some level, don't see a future with that person, regardless of either party desiring a baby then or not, it can pretty much be the last nail on the coffin. Spencer not seeing a real future with Toby and that being the bigger problem was heavily implied I think. 

If you add to that one of them actually considering going through with it and the other pretty much abhoring the very thought of that? Then yeah, you can bet there will be drama.

I never saw Spoby as especially solid though. If anything, I believe they have been steadily growing out of love with each other since s3, but neither wanted to face it. Hell, I honestly believe either Spoby and Haleb wouldn't have lasted as long as it did in highschool if they didn't have fighting A holding them together.

We don't know the timeline for the Haleb break-up, but Spoby at least seemed to be at its last breath as early as Spencer's sophmore year.

(We should also keep in mind while it seems like these relationships went on for forever, I'm pretty they were all two years tops (if that!), not counting the break ups)

• Love 1

I can't believe Emily has managed to stay single for eight episode now. Has there been an exodus of the numerous lesbian population of Rosewood?

Even that sassy waitress working at the Brew seems to have up and disappeared like a fart in the wind.

This can't be said enough. Can't they bring Wilden back? At least he was pretty to look at.

Give it another five year time jump and Emily will be with the creepy auto mechanic.

For that matter, why not bring Holbrook back?  Lots of UnAnswered Questions about him especially concerning his relationship with Ali - which would also help provide Show with a badly-needed boost of Interesting Alison.

Since Aria is white, this would have been the correct course of action to take, and wouldn't have ended with her dead in a jail cell. Thus, agreed. 

(I mean, no, I totally agree that's what Aria should have done. It's just really upsetting that when a black woman did that... well, the above.) 

I didn't quite understand why Spencer kept screeching at Caleb to tell Toby the truth.  I don't know Spence, maybe you could explain to your ex-boyfriend who might actually listen to you.

I mean... she did though? I'm a little confused, did I watch something different from everyone else? Because I was like, "HALLELUJAH, SPENCER ACTUALLY TOLD TOBY ABOUT EMOJIA, MAYBE SHE'S ACTUALLY GROWN UP AND WON'T BE SO DUMB!" (That, plus when she admitted that she wasn't sure it was Shower Harvey and in fact wasn't sure at all who the culprit was, I was like, "Why Spencer! What a pleasant surprise! Have four years of college taught you how not to jump to constant conclusions?") But then I came here and nobody seemed to have seen the scene where Spencer tells Toby that there's a new fake A, so... ? 

Wow, the Previously.TV recapper questions Tanner’s professionalism even more than I do. 

That police line-up made no sense at all.  Shower Harvey was the witness trying to identify someone, right?  “Here are 4 strangers and a girl that you helped torment for a year.  Do you recognize any of them?”  

THIS!!!! Seriously, what the hell? It's not like it's a secret that Shower Harvey knows who Aria is. If she'd seen Aria making a call from the Two Crows that night, she'd have said, "I saw Aria Montgomery making a telephone call", not "I saw some brunette with a keychain make a call". 

Apparently, after that, she DID name Aria? Like, what is her explanation here? "Oh yeah, I saw Aria make the call, but I decided not to tell you so that you'd arrange a lineup, just for the fun of it. I mean, I have no idea why you included Aria because you know I know her and thus would have been able to identify her the first time, but yeah, it was her." 

• Love 2
(edited)

I mean... she did though? I'm a little confused, did I watch something different from everyone else? Because I was like, "HALLELUJAH, SPENCER ACTUALLY TOLD TOBY ABOUT EMOJIA, MAYBE SHE'S ACTUALLY GROWN UP AND WON'T BE SO DUMB!" (That, plus when she admitted that she wasn't sure it was Shower Harvey and in fact wasn't sure at all who the culprit was, I was like, "Why Spencer! What a pleasant surprise! Have four years of college taught you how not to jump to constant conclusions?") But then I came here and nobody seemed to have seen the scene where Spencer tells Toby that there's a new fake A, so... ? 

Yes, in their second conversation, Spencer told Toby about the new "A" --Spencer should have done this in the very first scene, the minute Toby came into her house, she should have spilled her guts, so that when Caleb walked in a minute later we could have been spared the drama of Toby shouting at Caleb, Caleb getting punched, Spencer comforting Caleb while his nose bled...blah blah blah.  It all felt like contrived drama.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 4

Did Toby drive the whole way to Georgetown just so he could be there for Spencer to pee on a stick and so they could anguish in person about the possible results during that endless 3 minute wait or did Spencer actually wait till the next time he visited to find out why she was late? I don't really care, I just found the whole scene so annoyingly angsty, the dingy dark dorm room set to compliment the mood of the scene. Give me a break. They were in a relationship for years/had sex for years, a pregnancy scare somewhere during that time just didn't seem worthy of the drama. But I do get that it showed how they viewed their current/future paths differently.

This wasn't all that unrealistic to me. Probably because I did go to college in a town close to Philly, similar to Rosewood, and my boyfriend at the time lived in MD, very close to DC. It's 90 minutes by train, 2.5 hours by car and we'd see each other every other weekend, schedule permitting. 

This episode drove me crazy because it felt like they made people even stupider than usual to make up for lazy, uninspired writing. Most of these characters don't even feel the same anymore. I can only buy Spencer begging Caleb to tell Toby about EmojA twice before just doing it herself. They watered down her character for the sake of Old Boyfriend vs. New Boyfriend subtext. I was happy when she lit into her dad about their "value system" though. I'm also over Emily being handed the Spencering baton and accusing any and everybody with only the tiniest sliver of circumstantial evidence. Really, I think it's just that Troian sold the desperation of wanting the whole situation to be over but Shay's reading comes off flippant and like she has a chip on her shoulder. 

• Love 4

This show is sillier than ever, but I absolutely loved the scene where Lucas's apartment tried to kill everyone inside. That was awesome. I bet Hanna and Emily don't move out, though.

Speaking of Emily - oh sure, they finally put her in a scene with Ashley and it's only so Emily can flee the apartment because Hanna and Ashley are fighting. I want Emily/Ashley, dammit. Emily's of age now and since she still can't bring herself to call the other parents by their first names (which I totally feel her on - I'm 38 and still have trouble being anything other than "Mr./Mrs./Ms."), there would be a whole delicious Mrs. Robinson thing going on. If PLL is going to continue to have Ali be a vanilla bore - when she's not completely offscreen, which unfortunately translates into about the same thing - then I want my Emily/Ashley crackship!

• Love 1

As soon as I read "attractive brunette" on the police sheet, I started thinking of Mona :)

Funny how Emily is now the fiercest of them all ! And Aria wasn't so far behind initially, but now that creepy Ezra is inserting himself more and more in the picture, I fear that her fierceness is gone for the rest of the season. I'm also already missing the Liam we could have had, of all the new beaux he's the only one I've really liked, possibly because of the great chemistry between the two actors.

What the heck happened to Spencer's sense of style? She used to wear classic - but classy - outfits. Now, this episode especially, between the fugly checkered pantsuit with stripe dress shirt and the dress that could have been made from a random old lady curtains, I don't recognize my girl! And I'm choosing to forget the bangs - the least said about these...

Same goes for Aria - her style used to be crazy but fun, but the fun has become much less fun. And as for Hanna, ouch...

I was sure the mechanic was male, the person I was watching with was sure the mechanic was female, so it was fun to read that there is someone who kept wondering if the mechanic was male of female :D That mechanic shop looked like it was hosting a ZZ Top reunion, didn't it? 

• Love 2
(edited)

we could have been spared the drama of Toby shouting at Caleb, Caleb getting punched, Spencer comforting Caleb while his nose bled...blah blah blah.  It all felt like contrived drama.

I was wondering why Spencer and Caleb went outside to a public park (I think anyway. I would never re-watch). So she's inside presumably near a first aid kit, and they go outside to a public place while he bleeds and then she patches him up sexily in the sun?  Wasn't the blood dry already? Did the Dad kick them out? Did I miss something?

I was also confused about day and night in this ep.  I think there might have been some continuity errors, but I guess I don't care. I'm pretty much only watching for the clothes at this point, and I'm not even slightly into fashion. However, I experience wide-ranging emotions when I see the colours and patterns of their ensembles, not to mention the accessories.  Sometimes I wonder about stuff, such as why Emily didn't go to the hospital to check on Aria, but then I just let it go and look at their clothes instead.

The house attacking Aria was funny now that you mention it.  The Shining nod? Might be a good few eps to make the loft attack them or drive one of them insane.

I don't think there have been enough scary/creepy moments this season. A few masks, Billie Jean in gloves and veils, and a noisy car don't cut it.  I mean these girls were in a freaken dollhouse and had knitting needles poked near their eyes through floorboards and have been locked in all kinds of rooms and other vessels. This season ain't nothin' in comparison.

I was starting to like Aria until she got dragged back into an Ezra (or as she pronounces it Ezera) plot.  The Ezra actor is starting to amuse me rather than annoy me these days. If he must be on the show, I would like to see the character go full wack job again and possibly try to invent a cake made with chick pea flour work its way into the Brew (which he inexplicably owns). Maybe we could have a side-plot where he goes to the continent of South America and menaces the locals.

Hannah was always tied for my favourite character. However, this season she has been horrid and I'm not even sure if I like her anymore or that she has a good heart like she used to. She is a Sybil. Her acting is just shaking and tossing her head and folding her arms in a mean girl way and acting like everything is pathetic. She is rude to her mother and is not being fair to her fiance. I guess A's revenge is complete. She has turned Hannah into this.

Why can't this 'A' be as menacing as the last one? I want them to ramp (amp?) it up a little.  They have blown it with those silly texts and lame threats and notes.  I am still hoping CeCe wasn't the real A.  So many people seem to hate these girls, including Tanner.

So did Spencer have an abortion? I guess they will leave that to the viewer to decide.

Where was Alison? I'd rather her with Lorenzo than the creepy doctor.

I also agree that we need more Ashley. She has always been my preferred parent and I'm still nostalgic for all the outrageous things her character did on Melrose Place. The show doesn't utilize her enough.

Edited by insubordination
  • Love 2
So did Spencer have an abortion? I guess they will leave that to the viewer to decide.

No, she ended up not being pregnant. When she talked to Toby about Yvonne, she said something along the lines of "I would never judge her for a choice that we almost had to make."

• Love 1

What the heck happened to Spencer's sense of style?

The show has a new costume designer.

I was wondering why Spencer and Caleb went outside to a public park (I think anyway. I would never re-watch). So she's inside presumably near a first aid kit, and they go outside to a public place while he bleeds and then she patches him up sexily in the sun?  Wasn't the blood dry already? Did the Dad kick them out? Did I miss something?

Probably just a contrivance so the media can run a story on how Spencer is dating a notorious hacker, as if the general public gives a damn about the daughters of those running for the freaking state senate.

Listening to the BroswatchPLLtoo podcast.  They are a bit obsessed with the show and do frame-by-frame analysis.

1.  The person at the autobody shop was a woman with the name tag "Patty".

2.  They also didn't think the eyewitness was Shower Harvey

• Love 1

EB, Yes! What the hell was that? Hanna's wardrobe this
season is really disturbing. And what have they done
to Hanna? I'm kind of hating her this season & previously
she was my favorite liar. Is Hanna's attitude an acting
choice or has Ashley (like me) had enough with this
ridiculous show? Or perhaps she's angry with her agent
who hasn't succeeded in finding a better vehicle for her
talents?

I had the same thoughts about the mechanic. S/he was
disturbing.

Mac, thanks for the info on "Patty."

I really want to quit this show. I don't watch it "live"
anymore but catch up On Demand when I have time to kill
But for some reason (nostalgia?) I like the 4 girls &
kind of want to see the show out until it's end.

But, really, it gets harder and harder to watch. The clothes
aren't even entertaining anymore. Although the board snark
makes it less painful, in retrospect.

(edited)

You're not alone. I wondered about that myself; it made absolutely no sense for them to go to a park for Spencer to tend to Caleb's wounds. That said, I'm not that bothered by it given the scene looked really pretty and it was such a nice moment between Spencer and Caleb. Theirs is the only dialogue I still see some spark.

Hannah was always tied for my favourite character. However, this season she has been horrid and I'm not even sure if I like her anymore or that she has a good heart like she used to. She is a Sybil. Her acting is just shaking and tossing her head and folding her arms in a mean girl way and acting like everything is pathetic. She is rude to her mother and is not being fair to her fiance. I guess A's revenge is complete. She has turned Hannah into this.

THIS. And don't forget the POUTING. Hanna in the books has this signature pout which is so annoying whenever it gets brought up and my head goes right there whenever I see it on the show. You're so right she has become a Sybil; she just seems so spoiled and superficial And it seems she'll only get worst in the upcoming episode.

• Love 4

I feel like the show is not really interested in the murder mystery aspect as much as previous seasons. It's like relationship stuff, flashback to relationship stuff, mystery part, more relationship stuff and then a mystery cliffhanger. I miss Original A.

• Love 4
I feel like the show is not really interested in the murder mystery aspect as much as previous seasons. It's like relationship stuff, flashback to relationship stuff, mystery part, more relationship stuff and then a mystery cliffhanger. I miss Original A.

I feel like the writers are not really interested in delivering a good show, period.In regards to the mystery, the Emoji thing is BEYOND annoying but I see shades of early season 1 when A was this quirky thing that made the show different. Alas, the entire foundation of the mystery this time around prevents us (and the girls, imo) from connecting with it on a deeper level than not wanting to be framed for the murder.

The only way you can go from having a mystery centered around the murder of a teenager (which is tragic on itself) who used the be the carismatic queen B who the girls hated and loved, to the murder of the girls' number one enemy is if, IMO, you go: Yes, it was definitely one of them. Or possibly more than one that killed Charlotte. Let's go from there.

Something I said for a long time on TWOP as I defended MK  it was because I always felt like she cared. Now I oficially feel like she doesn't. And this why I loathe shows that run for too long because sooner than later the showrunner gets complacent and that's when the quality drops.

• Love 1

And this why I loathe shows that run for too long because sooner than later the showrunner gets complacent and that's when the quality drops.

And that's exactly what happened with MK, she feels like everything she does is gold. Which it clearly isn't.

Honestly, everything about this show is annoying now, the characters, the fashion, the story. I really have no idea why I'm still watching it... Probably some naive hope that it'll get better again (after going downhill for 3 years or somethin that's pathetic, I know).

The only thing I was really sort of interested in for 6B was who killed Mrs D. But that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore... It'll probably come up again at some point though... And I was hoping for more Mona Time!

• Love 1
(edited)

Probably just a contrivance so the media can run a story on how Spencer is dating a notorious hacker, as if the general public gives a damn about the daughters of those running for the freaking state senate.

Thank you for this point! Of all the ridiculous plot holes and nitpicks I could be focusing on, this one is irritating me more than it should. If the writers want high-stakes drama and blackmail/intrigue, why not have Veronica run for US Senate or PA Attorney General? I started my career in state politics, and honestly, few people actually know who represents them as state senator. And I love how a health scare and abortion story could potentially sink these candidates, but Spencer being institutionalized, accused of murder and locked in a dungeon doesn't really sway people one way or another. Ho-hum! (I probably wouldn't care as much if the show weren't boring me so much this season.)

Edited by RedInk
  • Love 5

Listening to the BroswatchPLLtoo podcast.  They are a bit obsessed with the show and do frame-by-frame analysis.

1.  The person at the autobody shop was a woman with the name tag "Patty".

2.  They also didn't think the eyewitness was Shower Harvey

See that's the thing, because I'm a little disappointed by their most recent podcast. They seem to have forgotten literally everything about MonA. They forgot that Mona and Hanna were friends before Ali stole Hanna away (which was part of MonA's Motive Rant at the end of S2) and that Mona hit Hanna with a car on purpose. I'm not sure I can blame them since the show seems to have forgotten this too, Ashley. "Hurr durr, why are you shutting Mona out? I mean it's not as if she stalked you, tortured you, enabled someone else to continue her efforts and hit you with a car...oh wait."

How long does driving a car into someone's body take to become water under the bridge? I'm thinking that Heather Hogan will probably have something similar to say about Mona's awesomeness while talking about how bad and evil Ezra and Toby are for doing things that aren't attempted murder.

Anyway, is this Diet-A storyline supposed to be wrapped up at the end of 6B?

• Love 5

Wait, I thought Mona and Hanna became friends after Alison disappeared and she blamed Emily, Aria and Spencer for "stealing" Hanna? I don't recall any flashbacks with Mona and "Hefty Hanna". Did they retcon that too or am I just remembering it wrong?

How long does driving a car into someone's body take to become water under the bridge? I'm thinking that Heather Hogan will probably have something similar to say about Mona's awesomeness while talking about how bad and evil Ezra and Toby are for doing things that aren't attempted murder.

I think Heather has stopped recapping this season episode by episode and will only recap the season finale. But she has basically said that about Mona many times already so...

• Love 1

Wait, I thought Mona and Hanna became friends after Alison disappeared and she blamed Emily, Aria and Spencer for "stealing" Hanna? I don't recall any flashbacks with Mona and "Hefty Hanna". Did they retcon that too or am I just remembering it wrong?

Unless they retconned it, they definitely became friends in the year following Alison's disappearance because Aria was shocked when she found out they were friends in the pilot.

Mona being angry that they "stole" Hannah from her is another thing that never made any sense, A started before the girls had even reconnected, and I would venture to say that without A, the girls may not have gotten so close again. Because of A they really had to circle the wagons, so to speak, and rely on each other because they didn't feel they could trust anyone else. 

In at least one of the many alternate backstories, Hanna and Mona were friends in middle school.  I'm not sure but a time-traveling Eric Bana might have erased that history.

Anyway, is this Diet-A storyline supposed to be wrapped up at the end of 6B?

I don't think they can solve the murder of Charlotte by then, which means another season with a mystery that I don't give a shit about.  Allegedly the final scene of "Game Over, Charles" is supposed to occur at the end of this season.