Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Admit it. You Can't Stand The View.

stormygone
  • Start Topic

The in-show promo that was voiced by a guy made a point to say multiple times that next week's shows would be live and that they would be covering hot topics as they happened. That would be pretty hard to do even if they had enough pre-taped shows to run throughout July and August.

• Love 1

And at the end of the show, Ross got up as if he were going to talk to audience members. It looked like Sherri asked him, "Where you gonna go?".  As if that was unheard of.

(edited)

Should I even ask?

Probably not, lol.

Whoopi came out with a "sucker" her mouth.  It was pointed out by Sherri that it was unusual for Whoopi to come out with something in her mouth.............................then the suggestion of oral came about by Whoopi. Can't remember the exact wording, though. 

Edited by ginger90

OK....now I'm askaaard  *hillbilly talk*.  I want to watch next week (if they are live--which I doubt) for the trainwreck of Sherri/Jenny keeping up a smiling face.  ABC sure can fuck up their shows...be it daytime or primetime. The View and General Hospital being a prime example.  GMA is beyond salvage (despite Robin Roberts and George S).  We do still watch DWTS because of Tom Bergeron.  But I watch all channels and they....IMO...are the worst all round.

And at the end of the show, Ross got up as if he were going to talk to audience members. It looked like Sherri asked him, "Where you gonna go?".  As if that was unheard of.

Elizabeth Hasselbeck always went into the audience.

With very few exceptions I watch almost no network TV.  I think I only watch one ABC show which is Scandal. 

As much as I think ABC shares some blame for the mess the View has become the fault lies with Bill Geddie and Barbara Walters. Things were relatively good until Elisabeth Hasselbeck was pushed front and center as the mouthpiece for all things Right Wing.  I thought once she was gone maybe things would change but from reading this board I can see Geddie is still pushing his conservative agenda on viewers with his choice of co-hosts and guests. 

So unless ABC wants to continue to watch the View to be the disaster that is then they need to show Bill Geddie the door.

• Love 6

Wow.  The look on Whoopi's face during the interview with Molly.  Whoopi does not enjoy anyone telling tales about celebrities. I don't think the lady  revealed anything that people don't already know.  Most people already know that those guys are notorious gamblers.  Whoopi  never asked a question aloud, but she kept mumbling to Sherri.  Whoopi used to have poker games at her house with some very famous people so maybe it makes her nervous.  

jaded, babs has the credibility of a rug salesman! lied about joy, lied about elizabeth, heck, she even lied about herself!

Oh I know. I was just letting it be known that she thinks the show will go on and that they "have time".

(edited)

And good grief, the silliness at the very end of the show, Sherri mouths to the camera, "I love you, Jeffrey."  And not to be outdone as the GREATEST MOM THAT EVER LIVED!!!, Jenny saw what Sherri did and she did the same into the camera, "I love you, Evan."  Well!  Now that is settled. 

Sherri killed the "as a mother" phrase for me a long time ago. Now whenever I hear someone say that, whether it's on the news, shopping networks, scripted shows, or in daily life, I want to--and sometimes do--scream, "NOBODY CARES THAT YOU'RE A MOTHER!" Being a mother doesn't make your opinion more special, relevant, or interesting to anyone. Sherri, in particular, uses it as a constant excuse, as in "I have X stupid/ignorant opinion, but it's okay because I'm a mother!!!"

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 13

That seems to be BW's problem as Exec Prod of the show with Geddie - they always think they have time and also yet make awful decisions. They don't know who to fire, or who to hire, or when. And enough with the co-hosts! I've been saying that for YEARS. Occasionally sure - but not daily...for years and years.

Get away from reality shows, Bieber, the fluff, selfies, tweets, What's Poppin', sex, etc. Get an age diversified panel that acts their age. The lust and gluttony as well. Let the guest shine - and actually promote what they are there to promote.

• Love 6

Maggiemae, if any of that were to happen it wouldn't be the View.  They don't care about producing a show that actually contributes something pf value or importance to the audience.  This show is on the air to rake in advertising dollars and promote ABC projects. 

• Love 4

Actually I think when Meredith, and also Rosie, were there they really contributed to make the show good - and Star Jones, Joy Behar, Lisa Ling. Enough to at least blur out Debbie, Sherri, Jenny silliness. And even make it snark worthy. Unfortunately Elisabeth could never seem to present the panel with credible conservative thoughts and backup sincerely.

• Love 2

Get away from reality shows, Bieber, the fluff, selfies, tweets, What's Poppin', sex, etc

Does this mean they keep the Kardashians, DWTS and the giant picture wall? (ha-ha)

• Love 3
(edited)
Now whenever I hear someone say that, whether it's on the news, shopping networks, scripted shows, or in daily life, I want to--and sometimes do--scream, "NOBODY CARES THAT YOU'RE A MOTHER!"

I was born in 1940.  I became a mother in 1966.  I have NEVER used the "as a mother" phrase...nor have I heard my mother and her friends or any of my friends say it.  Maybe motherhood was reborn when we started a new century and someone forgot to tell me.  Or--maybe I'm so old I can't remember much.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 9

Food segments must go. Even the show with the polls included a food segment of sorts. What the heck is it with the food segments? Visual aids because we are all so stupid? UGH!

• Love 1

I was born in 1940.  I became a mother in 1966.  I have NEVER used the "as a mother" phrase...nor have I heard my mother and her friends or any of my friends say it.  Maybe motherhood was reborn when we started a new century and someone forgot to tell me.  Or--maybe I'm so old I can't remember much.

I am of your generation, Former Nun, and I have never used that expression, either. Sherri is one odd duck. I guess the world didn't begin until she was born. She is shockingly ignorant and unaware.

(edited)

From that article:

"I don't know…I'm not sure. I know The View will continue," the 84-year-old said to Extra's AJ Calloway at the NYC premiere of A Long Way Down. "I don't think we have a new direction, yet. I think we have time."

That's interesting, because I caught last Friday's episode of Extra to see how they covered The View shake-up. They showed a clip of Extra's AJ Calloway interviewing Babs on another red carpet last month just before she left The View. Asked about the future of the show, Babs said:

"The basic group stays the same. You know, Whoopi, and Sherry, and Jenny, and they're wonderful."

I'm not so sure about the future of Whoopi, or the show for that matter. I read a couple of articles that seemed to indicate that Whoopi is not a sure thing. This is the only article I can find right now that touches on that:

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/the-view-shakeup-jenny-mccarthys-firing-not-a-shock-show-up-in-air-2014276

For the current sole survivor, meanwhile, "they are figuring out what to do with Whoopi . . . It is still being decided,” says the insider. Over the past several months, ABC has been "auditioning loads of people," the source says, including recent guest hosts Bill Rancic, Fashion Queens star Bevy Smith, E!'s Ross Matthews and Mario Cantone, among others.

The mood among staffers behind-the-scenes is understandably tense. "Everybody is counting on one more season," says the source.

It all sounds very iffy to me. As @Cosmocrush mentioned in an earlier post, so many comments on the various articles are along the lines of, "Just pull the plug on this show already." 

I also find it very hard to believe that Sherri and Jenny will be back on any live shows. That just isn't the way The View works when they can someone. Remember how the minute Fox News announced the hiring of EH, she was gone at The View (thank gawd!). She came in the next day for a super quick goodbye, don't let the door hit ya on the ass on your way out. There was no reason not to keep her until the very end of the season, as she didn't begin on Fox until September. But, since she was fired - even though they pretended she wasn't - she was shown the door ASAP.

Knowing this show, I just can't see them bringing back two people who they fired. I think, like they probably did with EH, they'd rather pay them out the last month or so of their contracts and not risk having a bitter loose cannon on live TV. Also it's just weird for everyone, the staff and crew, to have two people there who were fired and understandably aren't happy about that. I just don't see it happening.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 3
I liked Ross's statement about his jokes: "I try not to have any victims at the end of my joke."  I liked him today.

I am generally against having a man on the panel, but Ross Matthews seems like he'd be good.  He doesn't act the fool, he's respectful, and seems intelligent and engaged.  His voice is nearly the same as Jenny's, but she'll be gone soon.  I would have no problem with Ross being one of panel.  If they could find women with those qualities, bring them on!

• Love 6
"The basic group stays the same. You know,"

Hopefully Babs is clueless because ABC realizes they need to take back their show. I know Babs owns 40% but she shouldn't have any say over anything in terms of who's hired or format.

I don't have anything against Whoppi but I hope she goes too. Maybe they have made that decision and didn't want to lump her in with the two others. My  guess would be that if they have a strong moderator in mind that they have confidence in  W.Goldberg will have to go.

• Love 3

@Brownstone.Muir, "it's so funny" that you mentioned ownership of the show, because I just brought that up in the Media thread. I have a feeling that there's a behind the scenes power struggle going on between ABC and Babs and Geddie. Maybe ABC wants to kill the show and start with something new and Babs and Geddie are battling with ABC for a buyout?

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked Ross's statement about his jokes: "I try not to have any victims at the end of my joke."  I liked him today.  But boy was Sherri bratty to him.  Calm down, Sherri; Ross is not your problem, you are.

I can only access the clips on the website (so I didn't see the scene you mentioned)

I saw the interview with Joan Rivers and it seems that Sherri is jealous of the show's interest in Ross and was trying to draw attention back to herself.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view

Looking back- her over the top behavior months ago was when Mario Cantone was on (another possible replacement for her!)

If I am right- It is going to be a long summer!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 1

I also find it very hard to believe that Sherri and Jenny will be back on any live shows. That just isn't the way The View works when they can someone.

That's the weird thing about the situation.  For those who left most of them got to say it on air before the official press releases, though some had to deal with the rumours for months.  Even Star got to say "So my contract is done so...bye" on the show.  These two didn't.  There were the general rumblings that one or the other were not long for this show, and Jenny's name was really being tossed around 2 days prior.  Based on her and Donnie's tweets (why he had to get involved is subject to debate), I think it's safe to say that something went sour in the past few weeks.  The US Magazine article said that she simply didn't gel with the others.  I took it to mean she didn't gel with Whoopi and Whoopi might have decided to pull rank. 

The funny thing is, the ratings only dipped by 1% this year overall, and 4% in the 18-49 bracket. But with The Talk picking up steam and The Real coming on in September which will probably skew a LOT younger, the show not the only game in town any more. In the end, I feel bad for the crew and for their jobs which may be in limbo depending what happens next. 

I'll see you, Bronzedog, and raise a Hey, Robin Thicke, get a job where no one has to see you or look at you except coworkers who are paid to be there.  Your dad was cute, engaging (a big ego, of course), and he's Thicke enough for us.

• Love 7
(edited)

How the hell do you sign in with your cable provider to watch?  It keeps looping for me.  grrr

My daughter said the same thing about his whole album.. stalkerish and not giving her room to make a choice (Paula).

Edited by NextIteration
(edited)

How the hell do you sign in with your cable provider to watch?  It keeps looping for me.  grrr

@NextIteration You may need to contact your internet provider. I did that but did so on their FB page so I could get someone in the US that I ended up speaking with that helped and was able to do what needed to be done to stop that looping. It was happening to me when I used every browser I could think of to try.

Edited by Jaded

I am not a fan of robin thicke and find it hard to believe he is that popular. Wonder if he and his wife are in cahoots to "separate" for a few months to create interest, generate buzz, and up sales of his music and keep his name in the news.

If they add a male cohost to the show it is no longer "The View" and they should change the name. I'm not against a male and female panel, but the dynamics would change the original concept for the show.

I would love to seeMeredith's new show occasionally have a segment with a mini panel of female guests that discuss issues kind of like a mini version of The View in the olden days! I know barbara will take credit for it but that's the only hope I see in he future for an interesting, provocative talk show.

• Love 4

Oh. I so agree with you two ladies on Robin Thicke.  He was on GMA today and sang what had to be the entire 99 choruses.  It was so annoying and it finally made me realize how stalker and controlling it sounded. " No matter what,  I'll get you back" - yeah way to make a lady respond favorably.

I like Dr. Doris Day but she is always so rushed to get her product placement in there.  At least they did a better job of letting her talk than when BW was there.  She was always so intrusive in those interviews....

Are those Dr. Day's products? 

Hopefully Babs is clueless because ABC realizes they need to take back their show. I know Babs owns 40% but she shouldn't have any say over anything in terms of who's hired or format.

I don't have anything against Whoppi but I hope she goes too. Maybe they have made that decision and didn't want to lump her in with the two others. My  guess would be that if they have a strong moderator in mind that they have confidence in  W.Goldberg will have to go.

Im guessing that they will keep Whoopi until her contract runs out.... they are cheap and I doubt they would remove her from the show and still have to pay her.... unless of course the show picks up and they renew her contract with a big raise.

Didn't the show just go in another direction at the beginning  of THIS season?

I dont think so..... the show started its downturn when Rosie left..... That was also when the women's issue thought process ended.... it got a whole lot nastier after she left

The show did go in another direction this season:  they dropped all political discussions and focused on fluff and celebrity garbage.  Also the whole season was Geddie obviously trying out a string of conservative co-hosts, male and female.  Not worth watching.  I liked it originally because it was the viewpoints of several individuals on topics I found interesting, not the standard celebrity crap which is all over the place.  I frequently fell asleep during the show this year.

• Love 3

I've been intrigued by all the talk about delayed/taped shows and live shows so I watched the opening today to see if I could discern a difference - and lo and behold - - there is a real 'tell' for a pretaped show!

They prominently show today's date as they are walking out and then the announcer stated (in words similar to this):  Today's show is 'new'.  And that is the give away.

He said 'new' not 'live' - of course I already knew that, but for casual viewing, it is nice to know.  W/o the discussion here I would never have listened closely enough to get the difference.  For some reason when I see today's date flashed my mind just goes to "this must be live".  Now I know - - not true!

I did not watch the show as I have no interest in the guest host or the rest of the guests.

For some bizarre reason Robin Thicke has always seemed really smarmy to me - very insincere.  When he orchestrated/participated in the crazy song with Cyrus and she got tons and tons of criticism - he got none.  I watched some of it on YouTube and I was equally offended by his role even tho' it was "lower key".

I hated the entire production, saw it as a cynical grab for "shock and awe", controversy - yuck - wish these so called stars would rely on some talent for a change.

I agree totally that the new song/album(?) stinks of either a phony breakup/sad song for publicity purposes or a very controlling jackass - - possibly both.

Guess my dislike of Thicke is not really subtle.

• Love 11
(edited)

The in-show promo that was voiced by a guy made a point to say multiple times that next week's shows would be live and that they would be covering hot topics as they happened. That would be pretty hard to do even if they had enough pre-taped shows to run throughout July and August.

I think it would also be a first.  This show has become notorious for it's Not Hot, more like Lukewarm Topics generally at least two days old but sometimes a week or more.  "As they happen" implies some sort of newsroom or crack staff instead Sweaty Geddie's wife's nephew hunkered down in the back perusing his Yahoo homepage. 

That said, for me, live is the only way to watch this show - or at least the best.  The idea that this thing could go completely off the rails at any moment is a big reason why I've stuck with this mess for the last few years. 

Remember when Star derailed Babs plan to let her announce her departure in a couple weeks but Star called bullshit and quit on the air?  One of the most awesome moments ever.  The look on Babs face was priceless.   Or one of the best days ever - when Bits not only told us she would be "moving on" but then she took her smelly suede shoes and proceeded to do so immediately?  The last gift Bitsy ever gave me.  Good times.

I feel so cheated that ABC shitcanned those two morons on a Thursday afternoon before a week of repeats.  If they wanted to get the ratings and make some sparks  they should have done it live on the air.  With a split screen.  Heh. 

Put it on the teleprompter because even though she is an award winning actress with dyslexia Whoopi never prepares by even looking over her lines, preferring instead to see them for the first time on the teleprompter.  I can just imagine Whoopi reading, "And speaking of Whatever, how about this?:  Uh,  Jenny and Sherri,  ABC has announced that your contracts are going to be, uh NOT going to be  renewed."  Then  go to a split screen. 

This show loves to think it's super hip by including Twitter in the show - think of the tweets that they could have ran across that screen!  They wouldn't even have to make anything up - people would have actually tweeted their applause.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 11

This comes from Sherri's thread, and was said by susieq147.  I wanted to respond to it, and thought my response belonged here:

Elisabeth was the (deranged and misinformed) voice for the Right Wing and finally ABC recognized viewers didn't want to hear it.

I don't remember ever hearing that the View's audience was mostly liberal.  I am, and I would love to hear regular intelligent, thoughtful, reasoned responses from a conservative with a brain.  Bitsy wasn't that person.  People didn't like HER, not her viewpoints. 

• Love 5

I can only speak for myself but I didn't like Elisabeth as a person nor her viewpoints.  I wasn't implying the View audience is more liberal than conservative but just from this forum and TWOP it would seem most posters didn't share Elisabeth's political beliefs.  And those that did didn't like her representing them.  She was given a forum to spout all that right wing garbage of misinformation and outright lies for far too long.  I'm sure the viewers who swing to the right probably felt the same way about Joy.  So in the end they both were shown the door. 

• Love 4
(edited)

That said, for me, live is the only way to watch this show - or at least the best.  The idea that this thing could go completely off the rails at any moment is a big reason why I've stuck with this mess for the last few years.

Yeah, for a long time I DVR'd the show so if i read online that Bitsy had a meltdown i'd be able to see it.   I deleted more shows then i watched, and now I don't even record it unless there's someone I really want to see. 

I did record the first couple shows after the announcement of S&J leaving, hoping for something.   Sherri continues to be in hysterical mode, screaming, interrupting, fighting for ALL the attention.  She knew she was leaving, and she's trying to "audition"  for "THE SHERRI SHOW", where she can make faces, flirt, grope, scream, and thank Jesus without having to let anyone else have a turn talking.

The polling episode was stupid.   The guy has no charisma, and was on the TV or much longer than was entertaining.    Funniest part was when he was making a point about Missouri not being relevant any more.   He asked "Is anyone here from Missouri?"   A bunch of people clapped (I guess they missed the cue that they were NOT supposed to).  So he asks again "anyone?  nobody from Missouri?"  and this time the audience was obediently silent.  Then he made his point.   A RECORDED show - it would have been easy to edit, if the producers really cared enough to make the effort. 

The contrast between boring pollster guy and Sherri's "WHAT???? OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!"   reaction to everything was like an SNL skit.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

The contrast between boring pollster guy and Sherri's "WHAT???? OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!"   reaction to everything was like an SNL skit.

Sherri feels she should be on SNL, problem is she has no conception of humor that works, her stand up crap is for a certain audience & that's great, let the audience get what they pay for but on TV her facial movements & constant moving (she calls dancing) are just not funny, they make her look like a fool but not funny. And she can't tell a joke that I have ever found in the least way funny. Just my opinion!!

• Love 7