Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Admit it. You Can't Stand The View.

stormygone
  • Start Topic

As usual The View brought up an issue and screwed it all up..... this issue about praying in public had nothing to do with eating..... it just turned into "saying grace" during the discussion..... I looked up the story to find out what the issue was really about..... I found a couple of them (Faux News is the ones who broke the story)

This article is pretty snarky but they have the whole story

http://wonkette.com/556277/now-you-cant-even-hold-a-prayer-circle-in-a-shopping-mall-thanks-obama

A few weeks ago the Dublin Girls had gathered inside the local mall for an evening power walk. They formed a small circle and as they had done many times before, they bowed their heads to petition the Almighty.

But before one of the runners could say, “Lord Jesus,” she was interrupted by a mall cop barreling down a corridor.

“The security guard came running toward us and said, ‘You are not allowed to pray at the mall. That’s against the policy,’” Tammy told me.
The security guard told her they’d had a problem with a previous religious group trying to proselytize shoppers. But Tammy said they weren’t trying to convert anybody – they were just trying to pray. And it’s not like they were having a “Holy Ghost Shoutin’ Prayer.”

The mall had a reason for their policy.... and it was not about grace.... although someone asked if they could pray over their food and the security guard said no (read that in another article)

• Love 2
I do wonder how all these folks would respond if Muslims were to pray out loud at a restaurant before eating? My guess is all their indignation would be of the "how dare they...." variety.

I posted something similar in Sherri's thread (I think that's where it was).  I can see Sherri going semi-ballistic...maybe even confronting these wrong-believers to teach them the Word of God...I mean Jesus.

• Love 3

Oh really?

Matthew 6  5&6

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

I can't believe I'm quoting scripture . . . I'm a foaming-at-the-mouth atheist (but was raised fundamentalist).

Edited by goodogcarl
  • Love 15
Shepherd is reportedly worth at least $10 million, with an annual salary from The View reported to be $1.5 million alone.

This is from online ET News.  I might just sign up for a Twitter account so I can let Sherri know this.  Apparently she's completely unaware.  She told us today that she don't have no money...and that she PRAYS every time she uses a credit card, hoping the charge will go through.  Maybe she just needs a fifth grader to show her how to balance her checkbook and straighten out her MasterCard bill.   Her comedy act ain't so funny.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 8

This is something I do not understand.  Why women blame and hate "the other woman".  The other woman didn't marry you and recite vows promising to be faithful.  The other woman didn't cheat on you.  Your man did.  Sunny must be cut from the same cloth as Elisabeth.  I remember when Elisabeth spoke about having to guard your marriage because evil was just lurking trying to sabotage it.  Which of course I took to mean harlots hanging out around trying to entice husbands into cheating.  I'm not saying women who have affairs with married men are virtuous pillars of the community by any means but they sure don't need to be condemned to Hell.

this ties in to the whole concept of blaming victims of rape as well….. some how it is always a woman's fault when a man misbehaves sexually…. she tempted him, etc.  A poor lil ole man just has no power over hisself and these nasty harlots lure him into these things by the way they dress, act, etc.  Spare me!!!   Alas, it does often come from those who thump their bibles because again many religions hold women responsible for all the evil men do.   it's the madonna/whore thing and you're one or the other and nothing in between.  Gag me.

As for public praying, I just don't see a shopping mall as a place to pray, and Whoopi and anyone else has every right to find it offensive.  Praying over your meal is just your business at your table and I have lots of friends who do that  when we are out together.  I often will hold hands with them as they all hold hands around the table and pray, silently to themselves, before the meal.  But a prayer circle is a religious gathering and frankly IMHO take that to a religious environment, or don't get your knickers in a knot if others find it offensive.  So tired of all this one-way offense… WE can be offended but YOU can't. 

Edited by GoldDustWoman
  • Love 9

As a man who has never cheated.... if a spouse cheats it is on them. I was tempted... I had opportunity... one of her best friends tried to seduce me. The reason it didn't work is because of my own self respect.  There are women who for their own reasons target married men. It is my opinion that they lack their own self worth as the reason they chase after "forbidden fruit"

What annoys me is when people act like "the other woman" is innocent in the whole thing, like what Sherri said.... She was being lied to also. Honestly, if someone doesn't know the person they are sleeping with is married, they don't want to know

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 5

Was Whoopi serious when she said that she has had people come up to her to ask her why she didn't say a prayer before eating? That seems like an extremely odd thing for someone to do (even odder then a group of people praying in a mall).

• Love 3

As usual The View brought up an issue and screwed it all up..... this issue about praying in public had nothing to do with eating..... it just turned into "saying grace" during the discussion..... I looked up the story to find out what the issue was really about..... I found a couple of them (Faux News is the ones who broke the story)

This article is pretty snarky but they have the whole story

http://wonkette.com/556277/now-you-cant-even-hold-a-prayer-circle-in-a-shopping-mall-thanks-obama

The mall had a reason for their policy.... and it was not about grace.... although someone asked if they could pray over their food and the security guard said no (read that in another article)

Sometimes, too, I think people confuse the fact the government cannot take away a particular right with the fact a private business owner can make rules for the business (within some carefully drawn limitations). 

ETA: Oh wait, does President Obama own that mall? How confusing. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 4

I have to agree.  She has been the only one intelligent enough to discuss issues.

It helps when she's sitting next to someone like YDL but yes, Wallace can be seen as more reasonable by way of comparison. However, I will never forget how she always tried to polish up and sell Palin during the 2008 elections. I know that was her job but her credibility took a hit with me especially when you consider Palin stopped even halfway pretending she was a rational, reasonable person since then (Thanks McCain!) . I also think a lot of what Wallace says is disengenuous but whatever, I guess it pays the bills.

She can be insufferable on Morning Joe, at TWOP she was called Cackles.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 3
So tired of all this one-way offense…WE can be offended but YOU can't.

Amen, girl!  ...or whatever we atheists are supposed to say.  I don't belong to an organized non-beliver group.  I'll never be able to remember how many times people have asked, "Atheist?  WHY are you an atheist?"  or  "With your good Catholic education, what happened in your life for you to turn your back on The Church?"  These questions are not considered rude and/or intrusive

I often will hold hands with them as they all hold hands around the table and pray, silently to themselves, before the meal.

Both good quotes are yours GoldDustWoman.  I've done the same silent prayer thing (without praying or closing my eyes).  Sometimes I look around the table to see who's "cheating" but it's usually only me.  

• Love 8

You guys are on fire today and so many new posters that I haven seen before on here! What a great, witty group we have on this site!

I didn't watch the show today and I stopped recording it, but now I am wishing that I had. I am off to go set the DVR for tomorrow's show.

"this ties in to the whole concept of blaming victims of rape as well….. some how it is always a woman's fault when a man misbehaves sexually…. she tempted him, etc.  A poor lil ole man just has no power over hisself and these nasty harlots lure him into these things by the way they dress, act, etc.  Spare me!!!   Alas, it does often come from those who thump their bibles because again many religions hold women responsible for all the evil men do.   it's the madonna/whore thing and you're one or the other and nothing in between.  Gag me."

Another home-run GoldDustWoman. I am about to go down to the shopping mall and pray for a Women's show to come on this fall that doesn't promote these tired stereotypes of women. In Dillard's name I pray.

• Love 8

Why is SE Cupp being referred to as "Sippy Cup".  I don't get it, am I  missing something, what does that mean?  So next season is Whoopi and Rosie, is anyone else confirmed?  Guess they need at least one conservative to stay true to the shows idea of different views.  

Thankfully, I missed today's show (no biggie since it's looking like we'll have more and more days of Sunny and S.E. Cupp's ignorance if they are the new co-hosts...gah), but with all this talk of brimstone, I just have to say that anyone who says someone else should/will be going to Hell is the person who should be worried the most. If you are Christian, and the people who spout this nonsense suppose to be, you should know that only God can forgive and condemn, and trying to usurp his role in that is close to blasphemous. I don't think the "other women/men" are innocent, but if you are wrathful it should be directed toward the spouse who obviously doesn't give a damn about you.

I have several relatives who roll their eyes whenever talk comes up about how people can't pray in school or in public places, and blame that on all the hardships in America. What they can't seem to grasp is how it would feel, as I explained, if someone at school was telling their child that there was no God, or that Jesus is just a prophet and not the messiah, or if they had statues of Buddha in the classroom. For some reason, people who worry about this seem to always cite how much worse today is compared "the golden days," which is completely ridiculous. There were many people from those old days (non-whites, LGBT, women, etc.) whose lives weren't so golden.

• Love 13

I just don't understand how so many people get "outraged" over the most idiotic things. Bet your bottom dollar though  if people started bitching about Muslims praying these same people would be the first to defend them. Foaming at the mouth and all. It's the plain hatred of Christianity, plain and simple.(Oh and yes.. I understand)  Like I said before, I have no religion, but, I am so tired of listening to people claiming to be so offended by every damn thing. Must be nice to have such a great life, where simply seeing  a group of people praying offends you. There are SO many real atrocities happening on this planet right now that should really piss people off. God I am so tired of that words.  This wasn't directed at you guys, just society in general these days. 

• Love 2

I have several relatives who roll their eyes whenever talk comes up about how people can't pray in school or in public places, and blame that on all the hardships in America. What they can't seem to grasp is how it would feel, as I explained, if someone at school was telling their child that there was no God, or that Jesus is just a prophet and not the messiah, or if they had statues of Buddha in the classroom.

I'm from Canada, but I thought in the US you were allowed to pray in schools, you just couldn't have the teacher/school leading in prayer (ie a teacher can't start the morning off with a prayer but a student could say a prayer a lunch time if they wanted to).

• Love 3

There are lots of religions in this world but it seems that most of the demands are from Christians..... In my opinion, religion should be private.... it should be a personal thing. When it is thrown in someone's face or there are demands to be heard it is a huge turn off. The Constitution talks about Freedom of Religion, this is in relationship with the Government, not a private mall. If a Mall owner wants to disallow religious demonstrations it is completely in their Rights and it needs to be respected. If the religious folks get offended then they don't have to associate themselves with that establishment

Christmas time really grates on my nerves. The city puts up different religious symbols and that is supposed to make it ok.... I would really like to have some Satanic group request to put their symbols up sometime in April for their made up holiday to see if it would be allowed.... I doubt it would  Or even have it be part of the Christmas celebration

I'm from Canada, but I thought in the US you were allowed to pray in schools, you just couldn't have the teacher/school leading in prayer (ie a teacher can't start the morning off with a prayer but a student could say a prayer a lunch time if they wanted to).

Yes that is how it is.... you can pray your way through your English test..... but no school lead prayers

• Love 1

A group actually did that in Oklahoma

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/devil-worship-group-unveils-satanic-statue-design-oklahoma-state-capitol-article-1.1568893

Devil-worship group unveils satanic statue design for Oklahoma State Capitol

A satanic group unveiled designs Monday for a 7-foot-tall statue of Satan it wants to put at the Oklahoma state Capitol, where a Ten Commandments monument was placed in 2012.

Yes that is how it is.... you can pray your way through your English test..... but no school lead prayers

And I assume it's not aloud.     Not..."not allowed."

Why is SE Cupp being referred to as "Sippy Cup"

I don't know the origin or the timeline...probably someone "clever" came up with the moniker and it stuck.  You can find several references online.

• Love 1

Why is SE Cupp being referred to as "Sippy Cup"

This nickname came about when she was on The Cycle on MSNBC. It started on that show's thread on the old message board. As I recall, she was a terrible whiner and someone just started that and it stuck.

Just in case anyone doesn't know what a sippy cup is, it is the cup with a lid on it for toddlers. (pardon the Barbara Walters explanation)

• Love 10

A group actually did that in Oklahoma

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/devil-worship-group-unveils-satanic-statue-design-oklahoma-state-capitol-article-1.1568893

Devil-worship group unveils satanic statue design for Oklahoma State Capitol

As a Catholic, that creeps me out, but turnabout is definitely fair play. I've read and posted on enough boards to understand that my revulsion to devil worship is really no different than another poster's revulsion towards me for believing in an "imaginary sky god."

• Love 5

Close friends (we had gone to Catholic school together for 12 years) were commenting/ridiculing a particular religion.  I asked, "Is that any more odd than your belief that the priest turns bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ."  They definitely DID/DO think it was more odd.  Their belief involves a "miracle."

• Love 5

You are correct (retired teacher here). I don't want to get too carried away with this issue but I can't resist saying that I'm pretty confident that the people who complain about "taking God out of school" would be super-crazed if a teacher were to begin preaching an orthodoxy they didn't believe to their children (as well they should). And, if you genuinely believe in God you will be quite confident people can't take God out of anyplace including school. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, lol,

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 9

We had a "Moment of Silence" when I was in high school (approx 20 years ago) and was done during the announcements in homeroom. I supposed people used the moment to pray. I mostly thought about a test I'd have to take or something else going on at school. Strange when I think about it now. I wonder if it was some middle ground between people that wanted teacher-led prayer and those that didn't. 

• Love 3

Is tomorrow the last live show before Sherri and Jenny depart?

Since Sherri is already vocal about the changes for next year (seeming to screech that Sunny and Sippy will be hosts next season)

it could be quite an interesting and entertaining show!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 1

It is indeed, and it sure could be interesting.

I have to wonder if they are doing something for Jenny.

Earlier- someone on the board mentioned they were planning to chronicle Jenny's best moments- not sure when that will be shown.

Who remembers one of her first days where the show presented a guest with a motorized cart (or wheelchair) and Jenny was instructed to move it from the entryway with no instructions on how to do so- She was not happy!

http://splash.suntimes.com/2013/09/13/my-first-week-on-the-view/#.U-Lnp_ldWHg

Edited by springtime
  • Love 2

Yes, that's what I mean (sorry if I mispoke there). I don't think there's anything wrong with a student or students praying to themselves. The most a teacher/authority should do is lead a "moment of silence," where the students can pray or do whatever they see fit.

I'm conflicted on other things though--I don't think there's anything wrong with teachers leading the Pledge of Allegiance even though it mentions God, or talking in terms of a particular religion in English class depending on how an author's religion affected the text. I hate that religion is so divisive, and of course the common denominator The View makes sparks everytime it's a topic.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

This nickname came about when she was on The Cycle on MSNBC. It started on that show's thread on the old message board. As I recall, she was a terrible whiner and someone just started that and it stuck.

Just in case anyone doesn't know what a sippy cup is, it is the cup with a lid on it for toddlers. (pardon the Barbara Walters explanation)

It's also a spontaneously obvious nickname from the way she decided to style her name.  S(ip).E. Cupp.  The fact that it fits so well with her being childish is just a bonus.

I mean nothing kept her from being Sarah Cupp.  Or Sarah E. Cupp.  Or Liz Cupp.  Or Elizabeth Cupp.  But she chose S.E. Cupp, and when you act childish and it's one syllable off something, then it's not surprising.

BTW:  I believe its spontaneously obvious because I thought of it on my own before I even became aware she had a history with the nickname. I'm sure plenty of others have as well.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

I don't know if I missed it ... but I don't think I did.... Jenny said good bye to everyone.... including her special friend Sherri...... but didn't mention Whoopi..... like I said... I could have missed it.... so let me know when you watch it

I didn't hear any mention of Whoopi from Jenny either. I wanted to barf at Sherri saying Bill thought women needed a show to discuss women's issues. It was Babs idea I'm sure and Billy just went along for the ride and EP job he knew he'd get.

• Love 4

On the topic of religion, why haven't we heard Sherri "speaking in tongues."  Oh...that's right, it was part of her "comedy" routine...a parody.  Isn't that the same as ridiculing someone's belief?  (I am reminded of Sherri's act every time I see a current female contestant--a minister--on Big Brother speaking in tongues when the chips are down--when her chips are down.)

Edited by Former Nun

I didn't hear any mention of Whoopi from Jenny either. I wanted to barf at Sherri saying Bill thought women needed a show to discuss women's issues. It was Babs idea I'm sure and Billy just went along for the ride and EP job he knew he'd get.

Now that Geddie is gone maybe it will become about women again..... but for some reason I doubt it

• Love 1

Sherri shows up for the last day of taping in torn jeans. Passive aggressive? Barbara would have had a conniption had she been there.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

So Kayleigh what's her name, the blonde conservative from earlier this week, makes a lot of hay on her website, twitter about being a Harvard Law student. Funny, because about a month ago, the University of Miami law school was claiming her as their own:

http://www.law.miami.edu/news/2014/july/2803.php

So if she really is a Harvard Law student, she is a very recent transfer. But I wonder if even that is true.

I do love how these conservatives rail against the "elitists" on Fox but are the first to claim these credentials when they get a chance.

• Love 6

ABC's reconstruction of "The View" involves not just new co-hosts like Rosie O'Donnell but a new producer, too, sources say: Bill Wolff.

Wolff, the executive producer of "The Rachel Maddow Show" and the vice president of MSNBC's prime-time programming, will be running ABC's reboot of "The View," according to people with direct knowledge of the plan.

Wolff is expected to replace Bill Geddie, who has run the talk show since its inception in 1997.

Bye Geddie!!

• Love 1

Today. 1:14 pm

I missed it… what was this 911 thing?

They told the story of a mother finding her son watching porn. The mother called 911. No mention of what was said or if anyone was actually dispatched, from what I recall. That's The View.

Sherri and her over the top stuff concerning Jeffrey is going to back fire right in her grinning face one of these days. She needs guidance.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 3