Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Admit it. You Can't Stand The View.

stormygone
  • Start Topic

I am a mother and I've never used the phrase "As a mother"; I was also a single mother (truly; their father was absent) and never uttered that phrase either.  And my boys are middle aged and turned out fine.  I didn't know I had an excuse.  Sherri thinks she is speaking for that group of women and they, I think, identify with her and believe her.  Maybe they forget that she is worth millions.

• Love 5

If Sherri thinks she represents single mothers, or mothers in general then she is even more deluded than I thought.  She does seem to have some sort of fan base but for the life of me I don't understand her appeal.

• Love 5

She does seem to have some sort of fan base but for the life of me I don't understand her appeal.

They are as dumb as she is, if not dumber, and she is their hero.  See how far dumb can get you in this world?  (Besides Congress, I mean.)

• Love 6

I am a mother and I've never used the phrase "As a mother"

Every time she says that, I always think of Tracy Morgan on SNL doing his take on Star Jones saying "As a lawyer."  Then transplant his voice saying "as a mother." (My brain is weird.) 

• Love 5
(edited)

Nothing in the world annoys the pants off me than willful ignorance.  And it appears that Sherri is the Queen of it.

I don't know when it happened but at some point it became OK to be an idiot.  And I'm talking about people who truly have no hope of ever being smarter than what they are.  I'm talking about Sherri, Sarah Palin and most reality show participants.  Somewhere along the line stupidity became an acceptable way of life.  Hell,  it's become a legitimate career apparently.  How else do explain the cast of the Jersey Shore continuing to make money?

Once upon a time when you were growing up you were told go to college, get an education and you will go far in life.  Nowadays intelligence is looked down on.  Like there is something wrong with wanting to widen your pool of knowledge.  And a huge part of the blame lies with the politicians (more specifically Republican politicians) who like to keep voters easily manipulated by what they are told. 

Sherri choosing to remain an uninformed moron just rankles me to no end.  This woman has so many opportunities to learn so much about so many different things and she spends her free time taking selfies.  I sincerely hope she instills a completely different mindset with Jeffrey but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 5
Sherri choosing to remain an uninformed moron just rankles me to no end.  This woman has so many opportunities to learn so much about so many different things and she spends her free time taking selfies.

And, SusieQ147, one would think that Barbara and Bill would have laid down the law several times.  I don't think Sherri is unable to learn--she either doesn't give a crap (because she's successful) or she truly does think she knows better than everyone.  Of course, would the show and Sherri have garnered as much attention* if she were informed and appealing?

As for Jeffrey, I do hope that he has access to all the educational, physical, and occupational therapies available to him--and that Sherri takes all of it seriously. Then I remember her interference with the innocent "wardrobe chest" at his pre-school where he had access to a girl's (OH NO!) costume.

*The old saying that any publicity is good publicity.

• Love 1

Hey guys. I understand the general sentiment about Sherri, but please be careful when snarking about her fans. They may or may not be your fellow posters, but let's avoid that kind of criticism of others. Thanks!

• Love 1

Of course, would the show and Sherri have garnered as much attention* if she were informed and appealing?

As for Jeffrey, I do hope that he has access to all the educational, physical, and occupational therapies available to him--and that Sherri takes all of it seriously. Then I remember her interference with the innocent "wardrobe chest" at his pre-school where he had access to a girl's (OH NO!) costume.

*The old saying that any publicity is good publicity.

The Earth is Flat nonsense did go off like a shot across all sorts of media.

I'm not religious or even very spiritual, but I've been praying for Jeffrey for a very long time.  Evan too.

And, SusieQ147, one would think that Barbara and Bill would have laid down the law several times.  I don't think Sherri is unable to learn--she either doesn't give a crap (because she's successful) or she truly does think she knows better than everyone.  Of course, would the show and Sherri have garnered as much attention* if she were informed and appealing?

And that Former Nun is the problem.  People are rewarded for being stupid.  How often does the View get any media attention for anything other than one of the co-hosts saying something offensive or idiotic?  As much as I loved the show when Meredith and company was there the show for the most part flew under the radar.  When Rosie came on board things definitely shifted to a more media-friendly show.  And by that I mean there was a lot more red meat for the tabloids.  And once that happened I think that was the View's agenda.  Get press from any and all media sources. 

• Love 2

And once that happened I think that was the View's agenda.  Get press from any and all media sources.

Barbara stated on the show, once upon a time, that ABC does not promote The View. So, I guess this was the way to get the show some attention? Any attention is better than none?

• Love 1

They are as dumb as she is, if not dumber, and she is their hero.  See how far dumb can get you in this world?  (Besides Congress, I mean.)

Don't forget Faux News views

Stupid is a role our media plays. All of the hosts of news shows have gone to college..... they are all intelligent people but when you listen to them talk they act stupid. I don't know how A works... I don't know why they do this..... I don't know what the cause of X is...... willful ignorance is a great term for it.

The media also treats its viewers like they are idiots. It is kinda like how The View will explain everything while asking a guest a question.. because obviously their viewers are so ignorant they don't understand who a guest is or how the whole thing works.

I guess they call it the idiot box for a reason

• Love 2
(edited)

Nothing in the world annoys the pants off me more than willful ignorance.  And it appears that Sherri is the Queen of it.

Before Sherri Shepherd, I honestly didn't know someone could have internal beliefs that were so anti-intelligence and anti-education (or, rather, self-education). I mean, laziness is one thing, but outright defying your instincts to educate yourself is another. Even yesterday, she was crowing, all self-congratulatory about how stupid she is, over "those smart people" who ended up at Taylor Swift's house while they were drunk. You would think being richer than most people would inspire her to think every now and then.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3

Before Sherri Shepherd, I honestly didn't know someone could have internal beliefs that were so anti-intelligence and anti-education (or, rather, self-education). I mean, laziness is one thing, but outright defying your instincts to educate yourself is another. Even yesterday, she was crowing, all self-congratulatory about how stupid she is, over "those smart people" who ended up at Taylor Swift's house while they were drunk. You would think being richer than most people would inspire her to think every now and then.

We have to realize that all of these hosts are playing a role. Remember how all 4 hosts were upset because Riana tweeted #FreePalestine ... all four hosts said it was a mistake and uninformed. Although, none of the hosts explained why it was a mistake..... what the wrong thing about that hashtag was...... it was a scripted argument that was written for them. Honestly I don't think Sherri is such an actress that she can play the fool all the time.... but I'm sure she is smarter than she portrays on the air.

• Love 1
Honestly I don't think Sherri is such an actress that she can play the fool all the time.... but I'm sure she is smarter than she portrays on the air.

RogerFromOhio is much kinder than I.  I think she may actually be more stooopid than she portrays--not in every aspect of life, but in many.

• Love 3

West Coast show was preempted today by ABC News and the 777 that went down in Ukraine.  I am always conflicted when this (The Spew being preempted, not a plane going down) happens because my choice to watch was made for me instead of by me.  On the other hand, I clearly have no self control about this crapfest - I always think something epic might go down and I'll miss it. 

• Love 2

West Coast show was preempted today by ABC News and the 777 that went down in Ukraine.  I am always conflicted when this (The Spew being preempted, not a plane going down) happens because my choice to watch was made for me instead of by me.  On the other hand, I clearly have no self control about this crapfest - I always think something epic might go down and I'll miss it. 

It was preempted today when Julie Bowen came out so I missed the rest of it..... it seems speculation of the news pays more than an entertainment show

Here in Calgary, they pre-empted during Julie Bowen, so I picked it up on another channel at 11:30.  They went into a whole bunch of commercials & then came back with a repeat interview about "12 years a slave"(?).  What a hoot!!  (Canadian channel!!)

• Love 1

Honestly I don't think Sherri is such an actress that she can play the fool all the time.... but I'm sure she is smarter than she portrays on the air.

Roger, I too once thought Sherri was just exaggerating her idiocy but she has proven to me that no, she is an absolute 100% ignorant fool and content to be that.

• Love 7

Somewhere around the birth of this song.

The show should really play Pink's "Stupid Girls" as Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd exit. Their idea of "research" is getting make-up ready. They've really put on parade the worst stereotypes about women.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wonder why Whoopi acknowledged Jenny wasn't there today but made no mention of Sherri's absence on Monday.

Whoopi seems to stick to the teleprompter - when she can see/read it.  That and her earpiece.   I thought not mentioning Sherri's absence on Monday was weird too.  I've seen them do it before and it always cracks me up - it's like if they don't mention it maybe we won't notice.  Hee. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2

Arizona didn't receive "THe View" today because of our Mountain Time Zone.  I've been watching the great coverage of the terrible plane crash tragedy all morning.

They played it later - 2pm.

Things got a little heated with Whoopi talking about the kid left at the park while her mom worked. I don't know what's going on with her; I do recall how she always likes to have the last word because her opinion is alll that matters but she seems to be extra aggressive as of late.

The interview with Julie Bownen had me cringing. She talked too fast and what she said did not sound very interesting to me. I like her on modern Family but did not enjoy that interview.

Tootie and Blair look fantastic. They've aged VERY well. I like seeing that instead of the over botoxed people on TV.

Though I did not care for Kim's(Tootie's) hair. The color and the poof was too much.

I LOVE Sherri's hair. I find it very flattering to her face and figure. I think someone said it was a weave. I don't miss that short one AT ALL.

Ok show. Jenny's presence was not missed.

• Love 2

Things got a little heated with Whoopi talking about the kid left at the park while her mom worked. I don't know what's going on with her; I do recall how she always likes to have the last word because her opinion is alll that matters but she seems to be extra aggressive as of late.

Whoopi has been driving me crazy lately.  She is very aggressive in her speech and seems a little miffed about almost everything.   She gets on Sherri about over-sharing, but I have not been able to enjoy her much since she spoke about her personal hygiene.  She described her terrible oral hygiene and how much work she had to get done when she came to The View because of it.  She spoke about going without bathing/showering for days while traveling.  She shared that even now she does not shower every day and even allowed Barbara to sniff her that day.  But the one that took the cake was the last show with Dr. Doris day talking about personal hygiene products.  When she spoke about a moisturizer, Whoopi again said that she doesn't shower every day because of dryness.  Dr. Day told her it was fine to shower every day, but use warm water and products that don't dry your skin.  When they came to the shampoo products, Whoopi said she only shampoos her hair every two months.  When Jenny asked her why, she said it takes two days to dry.  Really Whoopi?  I think the hair and makeup people could shampoo and blow dry your hair or stick you under a dryer.  I just don't appreciate hearing all of that.  I know some people are told to shower every other day due to dry skin, but I don't want to know all that. Especially from someone who has access to advice and products.

• Love 7

Whoops' dreads probably do take two days to dry--those things are very dense, and frankly, I'm surprised most people, (white or Black), don't get mold in them--from rain or snow or humidity.  I wonder if the hairdresser could use a heat-defuser like an old hair dryer helmet that might help dry them faster.  But then, again, maybe the dreads don't need washing that much, cuz it's a personal preference, plus  Black hair requires different treatment.  YMMV.

Whoops was very aggressive about the kid left at the park with a cell.  I think social services needed to inform the mom of free child care options for low income folks, but the law may have required an arrest cuz a minor was involved. Sherri kept trying to go to her "research" about human trafficking, but it was not the main issue here, or as most issues, there were many facets of the case and not enough time to cover them all, except by someone who actually had their shit together and could reel off several consequences succinctly and quickly.  However,  in this crazy venue, that's not going to happen.  Or if they did, it would not be heard over the yelling, and arm flapping. Sigh.  I told my friend that I watched the show because it is so stupid, but now I'm getting bored of stupid. I need a job.

I told my friend that I watched the show because it is so stupid, but now I'm getting bored of stupid. I need a job.

It's funny you said that.  Before I went back to work I watched or recorded the View every day for years.  This past September when I started working again I gave the show up.  I just didn't  have the time or desire to watch something that did nothing for me.  But of course I cannot seem to give up forums talking about the trainwreck which still continues to air each morning.  There seems to be a camaraderie amongst most of us View watchers.  It's actually kind of nice to have a place we can all vent about the mess the show has become.  No one in my "real" life watches the View (or at least they don't admit to it) so this is my only outlet for talking about it.  So thanks everyone.

• Love 11

Personally I think it was foolish that they arrested the mother. Her child was not in danger, and she did what she needed to do to make sure she was able to communicate if there was a problem. It seems to me that too many other people want to parent other people's children.

• Love 4

Someone very close to me wears dreads and I have never ever seen his take two days to dry. His is about the same length as Whoopi's too. And I think if it did [take days to dry as she says], you can easily use a blow drier or something to speed up the process - she certainly has the means to purchase a good one. I've never ever smelled mold or any other odd odors from it. But that could be because he's VERY meticulous with his grooming (hair and body), unlike how Whoopi describes hers.

• Love 1

Personally I think it was foolish that they arrested the mother. Her child was not in danger, and she did what she needed to do to make sure she was able to communicate if there was a problem. It seems to me that too many other people want to parent other people's children.

States have laws pertaining to the age a  child must be to be left home alone. (where I am I believe it's 12).I have to wonder what law this falls under and what was the charge, I don't recall? 

Is Tina Brown still at the Daily Beast?  She is a friend of Barbara's so I would believe this article to be accurate.  And it says pretty much everything we have said here.  Rosie wouldn't return if Geddie was still going to be there so he is gone.  Yay!!!!   And I it just goes to show you Barbara will throw anyone under the bus.  She made sure to sell her shares and didn't give a shit what became of Bill Geddie.

• Love 3
(edited)

Morgalisa, African American hair that is natural or dreaded is different. I'm natural & when I wash & twist my hair it take at least 24 hrs to dry. I have friends whose hair does take up to 48 hours to dry. Natural/dreaded hair doesn't require daily washing. Daily washing would likely cause damage & major hair loss. I only wash my hair once a month with a sulfate/paraben free shampoo. I do co-wash (conditioner only) every 2 weeks. Most will shampoo their hair every 1-2 months but some of my natural friends co-wash only & haven't used shampoo in 2-3 years.

Heat is a no no as well. Some use it but many don't because heat by a blow dryer can cause damage to your hair pattern. I will only use diffuser or steam dryer for that reason.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 5
(edited)

It's no secret that Whoopi tends to aggravate me more than make me laugh or agree with her ever since she joined this show.

However, I have to admit, that her take on the differences between being high and drunk had me laughing. Made me think that Whoopi needs to do another comedy movie.

And I get what she was saying about the nine-year old, and I wanted to and actually did yell at my television for Sherri to SHUT THE FUCK UP, because she was just pulling out the big serious crimes out of her ass. I know, by the time I was nine, and this was before the internets and beepers and cell phones, that I was taught how to yell for help, run, call, yell for police, or even post cell phones, children have been taught to know how to dial 9-1-1. But no, for Sherri, As a MOTHER, sorry, as a SINGLE MOTHER, the child wouldn't have time to call Mommy for help, so it's best to keep children locked up inside. Cuz, better safe than sorry, right? Never mind what kind of problems or issues that will cause down the road.

And just to go off topic a wee bit, but it is related to yesterday's show, have the laws changed regarding how old a child could be left home alone? Cuz when I was a wee one, I was allowed to be left home alone at 8. Well, my grandparents did live down the block, so I wasn't totally latchkey. It was a sign that my parents trusted me, I thought, instead of me having to go straight to my Nana's place.

But the way kids act out in the malls, stores, etc., I'm fairly certain if a stranger is trying to take you by force, and assuming ether isn't involved, if kids raise a ruckus, screaming bloody murder, it would be thwarted. Plus, weren't there other people in the park? Was Sherri implying that they'd stand there like dumb posts and let the girl be abducted for human trafficking?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
(edited)

The show was not shown yesterday so don't know anything about the kid left in the park. Was it an isolated incident or did the mother use this a caregiving? I am in California and many many years ago was looking into foster care and knew then the age for kids being left alone was 12 as I understood it was even when I was a kid.

So Sherri got to show her stupid video of getting her canecorsolexi out the door but cut the video short so the "stay in here " would not be heard. Former Nun I signed up for twitter on my laptop just for the reason you are interested in,  I can log on and check every couple of months or when she is especially stupid. I tweeted her about research and the pulling on the dog video. I feel better.

Whoopsie, meant to address the twitter on Sheri's thread.

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 4

The show was not shown yesterday so don't know anything about the kid left in the park. Was it an isolated incident or did the mother use this a caregiving? I am in California and many many years ago was looking into foster care and knew then the age for kids being left alone was 12 as I understood it was even when I was a kid.

I live on the East Coast and they aired the show for the first 40 minutes before they interrupted about the plane crash. The "discussion" about the nine year old being left in the park, two days in a row, I think it was, was part of the Hot Topics.  Mom couldn't afford child care and had to go to work at McDonald's I think. I can't recall who called the police. Who then arrested her for some kind of child endangerment.

The only thing I was interested in watching was cut off--interview with Kim Fields and Lisa Welchel from Facts of Life.

Whoops' dreads probably do take two days to dry--those things are very dense, and frankly, I'm surprised most people, (white or Black), don't get mold in them--from rain or snow or humidity.  I wonder if the hairdresser could use a heat-defuser like an old hair dryer helmet that might help dry them faster.  But then, again, maybe the dreads don't need washing that much, cuz it's a personal preference, plus  Black hair requires different treatment.  YMMV.

Whoops was very aggressive about the kid left at the park with a cell.  I think social services needed to inform the mom of free child care options for low income folks, but the law may have required an arrest cuz a minor was involved. Sherri kept trying to go to her "research" about human trafficking, but it was not the main issue here, or as most issues, there were many facets of the case and not enough time to cover them all, except by someone who actually had their shit together and could reel off several consequences succinctly and quickly.  However,  in this crazy venue, that's not going to happen.  Or if they did, it would not be heard over the yelling, and arm flapping. Sigh.  I told my friend that I watched the show because it is so stupid, but now I'm getting bored of stupid. I need a job.

(Whispering) I don't usually showed every day either,unless I'm working out or sweating profusely for whatever reason. I think some would be surprised how many don't take a full shower every single day.

Re: social services referring low-income parents to free child care - having worked in that area, I honestly haven't come across much FREE care, especially for working parents.

• Love 2

You are right, Dangerous Minds, about no FREE child care.  There are subsidized programs for low income families, plus Boys/Girls Clubs, YMCA neighborhood programs, and other independent projects.  However, on the whole, Child Care is expensive and it is tough to find good carers.  Cannot leave the kiddos alone though, anywhere, till they're 12 in my state.

She was arrested for unlawful conduct towards a child in South Carolina.

Here is the basic story from the link http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/07/arrested-for-letting-a-9-year-old-play-at-the-park-alone/374436/

Debra Harrell works at McDonald's...

For most of the summer, her daughter had stayed there with her, playing on a laptop that Harrell had scrounged up the money to purchase. (McDonald's has free WiFi.) Sadly, the Harrell home was robbed and the laptop stolen, so the girl asked her mother if she could be dropped off at the park to play instead.

Harrell said yes. She gave her daughter a cell phone. The girl went to the park—a place so popular that at any given time there are about 40 kids frolicking—two days in a row. There were swings, a "splash pad," and shade. On her third day at the park, an adult asked the girl where her mother was. At work, the daughter replied. The shocked adult called the cops. Authorities declared the girl "abandoned" and proceeded to arrest the mother.

I tried to find out the age that children could be left alone in a car when Young and Restless had the "Billy left Delia alone in the car" storyline! I couldn't find out much, either for Wisconsin (where Genoa City is located!) or for New York, where I live. I work in a preschool so I'm a New York State Mandated Reporter and if I see a child left alone in a car in our parking lot, I'm supposed to report it. Instead, I usually tell one of the social workers on our site and they have a talk with the parent. They'd only call the police if there was a repeated pattern. 

If she had left the girl home alone, it might have been illegal but chances are no one would see her to report it. (I wonder if the home is unsafe - they said her laptop was stolen - and that's why Mom didn't leave her there.) Of course, a child left home alone might be in just as much jeopardy than a child in a crowded playground. Accidents happen.

I became a latch-key kid at the age of 12, but millions of children younger than that are left home alone by necessity. As for this case, the cops could have used their discretion. Did they have to go to such extremes? 

• Love 4

It's no secret that Whoopi tends to aggravate me more than make me laugh or agree with her ever since she joined this show.

However, I have to admit, that her take on the differences between being high and drunk had me laughing. Made me think that Whoopi needs to do another comedy movie.

And I get what she was saying about the nine-year old, and I wanted to and actually did yell at my television for Sherri to SHUT THE FUCK UP, because she was just pulling out the big serious crimes out of her ass. I know, by the time I was nine, and this was before the internets and beepers and cell phones, that I was taught how to yell for help, run, call, yell for police, or even post cell phones, children have been taught to know how to dial 9-1-1. But no, for Sherri, As a MOTHER, sorry, as a SINGLE MOTHER, the child wouldn't have time to call Mommy for help, so it's best to keep children locked up inside. Cuz, better safe than sorry, right? Never mind what kind of problems or issues that will cause down the road.

And just to go off topic a wee bit, but it is related to yesterday's show, have the laws changed regarding how old a child could be left home alone? Cuz when I was a wee one, I was allowed to be left home alone at 8. Well, my grandparents did live down the block, so I wasn't totally latchkey. It was a sign that my parents trusted me, I thought, instead of me having to go straight to my Nana's place.

But the way kids act out in the malls, stores, etc., I'm fairly certain if a stranger is trying to take you by force, and assuming ether isn't involved, if kids raise a ruckus, screaming bloody murder, it would be thwarted. Plus, weren't there other people in the park? Was Sherri implying that they'd stand there like dumb posts and let the girl be abducted for human trafficking?

I so agree with this. I wanted to smack her when she made the story about human traffficking. A 9-year-old would know how to stay in an active part of a playground. And the whole thing about her mother not being allowed to answer her cell -- please, if the child called only when in danger, I'm sure the mother would answer. If she's a good fast food worker, she's too valuable to be in trouble for answering an emergency call or even an important call. Plus the daughter may very well have had a couple of back-up numbers of aunts or neighbors. The child should not have been removed. The mother should have been helped with access to services. 

• Love 4

The little girl wasn't left at home though. She was allowed to go to the playground by herself. She knew where her mother was, and I assume the McDonald's wasn't too far away. How would this be much different then a parent letting their child go to a playground with a few friends? Too put the mother in jail and the child in protective services is ridiculous. It doesn't benefit anybody. All the police/CPS had to do was explain to the mother that it was illegal to let her daughter go to a playground by herself (which is news to me). Now the girl is in the custody of CPS. They have enough children to worry about that come from terrible homes or have no family, this little girl isn't one of them.

• Love 2

This is an article from April 2011

GOOD QUESTION: What does SC law say about leaving your kid home alone?

http://www.scnow.com/archives/article_4efc2f6f-f6be-5d4b-8bf6-c1053cb32c7a.html

From the article:
There actually isn’t any state law regarding when a child can be left alone. However, there are “regulations,” which say no child under the age of nine should be left alone. The regulations boil down to what Jennifer said, “A parent knows if their child is responsible.”

and

The Department of Social Services said officers and judges decide on a case-by-case basis if there should be any punishment or legal action taken when a child (or children) is left home alone.

• Love 1

It is interesting if there is no more to the story (wouldn't we have heard rumors?). The child is older than 9 and she wasn't left at home. She was playing in the park. What if the mother were at home and her child was playing in the park without an adult? Odd ruling. 

• Love 2

The Big Winner was the blondish dog that looked like a Briard mix.  I'm especially glad because MY main dog is a Briard, a beautiful, smart, and loving breed.  I think the Pedigree guy (Harrison Ford?) was trying too hard for that dog to get an agent, a TV show or a movie.  They shouldn't have such young puppies on the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

If they did their "research" on this woman's story, they might have had a more intelligent discussion. Well, one can hope.

This link gives current information and some background on the case.

This is another case of law enforcement and people over-reacting again.

http://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighbor/support-debra-harrell/204837

Click on updates, Mom and daughter have been reunited.

Thanks for the update - and I checked out the Facebook page. This should start a conversation about options for mothers without adequate childcare, but somehow I don't think the country is really focused on this issue. 

There's an article about black latch-key children on their page. If only Sherri knew what mothers really had to face, and it's not human-trafficking. 

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 3