Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Favorite Son

Athena

It definitely seems like a song they'd either use right away because it's expected (just get it out of the way), or hold in their back pocket for a special reason. (If the song rights are able to be attained.)

I'm also of a mind that right now they can't afford the rights to songs that high profile.  Which I'm okay with, I've really been enjoying the music they have used and especially in this episode, all the songs were spot on for the scenes!

I'd rather what money they do have to spend go to effects like the wings.  Lucifer's wings really were amazing.

• Love 2

For some reason I'm expecting Sympathy For the Devil in the season finale.

Sleepy Hollow used Sympathy for the Devil in the beginning and end of their Pilot episode. However, both are FOX shows, so FOX paid for the rights to air it at least ONCE (well in one episode) already, so who knows? Maybe they'll get a volume discount?

• Love 1

Sympathy for the Devil is too expensive. (I guess Sleepy Hollow had a bigger budget than Lucifer?)

From an interview with Tom Ellis: http://www.showbizjunkies.com/tv/tom-ellis-lucifer-interview/

The Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil” seems like a natural fit for the show, but unfortunately it won’t be showing up on the soundtrack. “Rolling Stones tracks are notoriously expensive. And, also, not just the tracks. We tried to have a line in there – I think I can say this – we had a line in there where he came up to someone and said, ‘Allow me to introduce myself. I’m a man of wealth and taste.’ We had to pay if we wanted to use that line something stupid, like $50,000, as it was written in prose,” revealed Ellis.

• Love 2

The central conceit of Lucifer, which, in my opinion, is man's central conceit, is that we want to approach life on our own terms.   So, we have lying.  In abundance.  There are lies of commission - "I didn't eat the chocolate cake."  And there are lies of omission, "There are Russian dolls in the conntainer."  Each are deceptions in pursuit of results we want, as we want them.  Not as God (Luci's Father) would.  As we would.  So...unless and until Luci accepts that dad is true and correct about all things, he ain't getting his wings restored. /end sermon

I was soooo angry at the lazy stupidity of the "fight" Chloe picked with Det. Douche over the taco party.  She is a freaking detective!  She would know one bazillion percent that this is one of those times the job requires what it requires!  She has learned who Senor Douche really is and she decided that is not who she wants to spend her life with.  That is actually fine.  No worries.  But, no.  She demands he change and bend to her demands that he change as a precondition to being with Trixie.  There's been zero evidence to indicate that he has been anything but loving and solicitous of his daughter.  She's just the worst.  

I love me some Mazi.  So far, she is the one character the writers have not dumbed down.  What a great character!  How did she get Le Douche to Chloe's as she did?  Again, I am sensing some level of super powers in her.

Oh, Luci...here again, stupidity by the writers.  My goodness, how turrible a miss this was to have him be oblivious to how much he longs to have physical control over his wings, and then it becomes almost as crucial to him as breathing?!  Sorry.  Not buying.  That level of mercurialism has not been earned.  Yes, Luci has some vexing issues, but something that central to his ETERNAL existence would never, ever, ever, be a trifle to him.  Again - he is the most self-interested being ever created.  He fell from a superpowered Angel, said to be the favorite one - to do things his way.  It will allllways be alllll about Luci.  Forever.

It is an interesting question as to who, or what, somehow made Luci a mere mortal.  But, it debases Luci as a character.  The writers can mess with any and all of his physical being now.  Oh.  This week, he suddenly isn't strong.  Oh.  Now people don't answer his go-to question (What do you want?).  Oh.  He is no longer irresistible to women.  And on and on.  

OK.  Sorry to be so sour.  I want this show to be great.  It could be.  It really could.  Anyway, the dolls.  Any chance they belonged to Tsar Nicholas II and Alexandra and their ill-fated children?  Anastasia, screamed in vain, did she not?

Sympathy for the Devil is too expensive. (I guess Sleepy Hollow had a bigger budget than Lucifer?)

From an interview with Tom Ellis: http://www.showbizjunkies.com/tv/tom-ellis-lucifer-interview/

That's interesting. I used to work in the music industry and am all for paying artists for their work and intellectual property, but that's an insane amount for one line. Especially since it would unfortunately go over half the audience's heads by now anyway.

“It was an hour drama, but it was funnier than most of the half hour comedies, in my taste,” said Ellis.

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand most comedies, but love drama with well-placed humour, so this is right up my street.

• Love 5

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand most comedies, but love drama with well-placed humour, so this is right up my street.

I agree!  I think this is part of the draw for me as well.

• Love 3

50grand?! Wow. Its a great song (especially for this show) but definitely not worth that kind of money. Now I'm wondering what the Stones made off the House pilot since it both quoted "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and played it at the end!

After reading through this thread I was curious about the source material so I did what I always do...I googled and then I checked out the graphic novels at Amazon.  I was surprised to see that Lucifer has light blond hair.  My first thought was Spike in a black suit!! A note of caution, it you check out the graphic novels DO NOT read the back covers (especially Novel 3) because I have feeling that it just may be a spoiler for the show this Season.  Darn my curiosity!!

• Love 1
I actually enjoyed all the characters in this episode, even Det. Douche (though I'll agree the Trixie blackmail was a little "eh").  Dan and Maze were surprisingly awesome though.  When Maze decides to have a little fun with the humans, it's pretty damn amusing.

I'm very glad Detective Douche didn't fall for her charms.  He's a "free agent" and no one could complain if he did the nasty, but that's not his style, and he still loves his (ex-)wife.

Reading the Book of Job will give you a view of the Devil's role re: God's plan that is not entirely unlike what Lucifer is saying in his conversations with Dr. Linda and Amanadiel.

The Book of Job is probably the weirdest in the Bible.  It starts with God and the Devil talking as more or less equals, and God picking Job as a plaything for the Devil.  Then Job loses his kids, but gets a replacement set, and that's just as good: Bobbie replaces Roberta and Ed replaces Theodore.  Not like they're real people or anything.  Finally, Job asks God why He put him through all this and God says "Because I can -- got a problem with that????"

And they still haven't used Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones. Maybe they're saving up the big ones for the end of the season. Or, those songs are too expensive.

I'm kind of glad they can't afford "Sympathy for the Devil" -- it's a little too "on the nose" for my taste.

She would know one bazillion percent that this is one of those times the job requires what it requires! 

I had a big problem with that too.  He was just doing his job -- I'm sure she's been called away for one or another assignments.  It's not like he's a dentist or accountant with regular office hours.

• Love 1

I had a big problem with that too. He was just doing his job -- I'm sure she's been called away for one or another assignments. It's not like he's a dentist or accountant with regular office hours.

I got the impression that Dan prioritizing his job over family commitments was an ongoing problem and not an occasional thing.

The sign on Trixie's door says, "No boys allowed except LUCIFER (in big letters) and dad (in small letters like it's an afterthought)." And the conversation where Lucifer told Trixie that she should do something if she really wants to happened offscreen. These seem to indicate that in the short time he has known Chloe, Lucifer might already be a bigger presence in Trixie's life than her dad.

In the end, Dan was able to get off stakeout duty so it wasn't so critical that he couldn't have attended Taco Tuesday all along if he really wanted to.

• Love 4
I got the impression that Dan prioritizing his job over family commitments was an ongoing problem and not an occasional thing.

What I don't understand is how these detective jobs seem to work on the show. They both have full time (I assume) jobs as cops. They are scheduled to work on certain days for a certain shift for X amount of hours. The Taco Tuesday thing made is seem like a weekly thing, so if Dan has to work, he has to work, because he was scheduled. Chloe should know that, as she has the exact same job. Now, if Dan volunteered or this was OT, that's another issue.

With Trixie's birthday, he could have taken a vacation day, but not everyone who requests time off gets it, which again Chloe should know that. Senority may come into play, and maybe no one else can work it.

On the show though, they are spinning it like Dan doesn't want to be there, but when she got upset with him, I'm just thinking like, "He's scheduled to work, just like you do." Not everyone can just take off at the drop of the hat to do personal things. JMO.

• Love 2
Mostly I just sit and stare wondering how silly boy can become so damn SEXY. I've decided he has black contacts on when he's hawt. Just...wow.

I think it is also some heavily applied guy liner.

I was unaware of Tom Ellis until his short-lived series Rush.  As per usual, if I love something (lipstick color, fragrance, tv series), it goes away.  I feel I am the death knell of things I enjoy.  This does not bode well for Lucifer (sorry).

• Love 2

Maybe, she one of those woman who she likes men for there minds or humor and NOT there bodies!

I thought it was excellent. The mytharc so to speak was very interesting and I enjoyed the biblical information to try to trick Luci.  I also weirdly liked Det. Douche. After seeing him semi naked I do think Chloe might actually have a health condition where she is immune to sexy men. But Dan and Maze were fun together and I think I am shipping them at the moment. I actually was a little confused as to why Luci didn't tell Chloe about the wings. He has been extremely honest with her and that was one of the things I liked, but here he seemed really against telling her anything.  I was surprised Chloe admitted that she liked him.  The idea of Luci doing detective work is till bothersome but I guess I will just have to take it.  I love the way Tom Eills can flip from gregarious imp to dangerous and scary monster.  Though I don't think Dr. Linda is in danger. I think she was getting to him before angel principal Woods' interference.  I am not sure Luci did ever consider who he is, rather than labels other put on him.

Having been brought up kicking and screaming as a recalcitrant Catholic, and having dumped it wholesale at a very early age, I've always wondered what kind of God would insist on eternal punishment for things like eating meat on Fridays,

"They got rid of that one. But i bet there's still people down in Hell, doing time on a meat rap!"

--- George Carlin

• Love 2
(edited)

What I don't understand is how these detective jobs seem to work on the show. They both have full time (I assume) jobs as cops. They are scheduled to work on certain days for a certain shift for X amount of hours. The Taco Tuesday thing made is seem like a weekly thing, so if Dan has to work, he has to work, because he was scheduled. Chloe should know that, as she has the exact same job. Now, if Dan volunteered or this was OT, that's another issue.

With Trixie's birthday, he could have taken a vacation day, but not everyone who requests time off gets it, which again Chloe should know that. Senority may come into play, and maybe no one else can work it.

On the show though, they are spinning it like Dan doesn't want to be there, but when she got upset with him, I'm just thinking like, "He's scheduled to work, just like you do." Not everyone can just take off at the drop of the hat to do personal things. JMO.

I did not catch the sign on the door I may have to rewatch just for that! With the cake thing I did catch it seems like Lucifer saw Trixie on her birthday or some other time off screen since Lucifer didn't tell her to go after what she wants in previous episodes. They better not have cut any scenes of Lucifer accidentally showing up at her party or something.

Dan and work:  I'm not married but in the world I grew up in/live in working equals being able to pay for things and so my father getting any kind of OT was considered a good thing and I've yet to hear any of my married friends make an issue of spouses working too much since they're of the knowledge that working means paying things off and isn't done for the fun of it. But I've come to accept wives nagging about working too much as a Thing on TV but, it's weird this show is going that route with Chloe since they do the same job and it's a job known for long/random hours. She could have easily had a case cut into it. The way "Taco Tuesday" was brought up made it sound like it was an ongoing thing. Two cops regularly being home early on a Tuesday doesn't seem likely. Though since they seem to work out of their cars, who knows.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1

Maybe, she one of those woman who she likes men for there minds or humor and NOT there bodies!

Based on Detective Dan I think it's safe to conclude that humor isn't one of the criteria she's judging by. Jury's still out on the minds thing.

Re Det Douche, he overheard her on the phone talking to her mother, no? And she was saying he didn't work at the family thing at all and she couldn't take it any more.

So based on his behavior from the beginning of the series, I got the impression he would rather work than spend time with his family.

Furthermore, I thought it was way too rich for him to be saying, "I'm so disappointed in you, Chloe." Um, dude. If you're not taking care of your wife and she wants out of the relationship because you prefer to do anything BUT spend time with your family, you don't get an opinion.

Notice after he overheard that conversation, THAT was when he started working at it (Taco Tuesday and helping her with the Palmetto case). It was like the lightbulb came on for him.

I may be wrong on my impression, but that's the vibe I've gotten all along. In the pilot, I got the impression he could barely stand to be around her. He was definitely embarrassed by her Palmetto faux pas. So I think he's got a bad case of you-don't-know-what-you've-got-till-it's-gone and now he's playing catch-up.

• Love 1
Notice after he overheard that conversation, THAT was when he started working at it (Taco Tuesday and helping her with the Palmetto case). It was like the lightbulb came on for him.

It was that and also when he went back to Lux and was telling Maze that his relationship with Chloe couldn't be fixed just by putting him naked in her bed, that you have to work at relationships like it's a... job. (Ding! Ding!)

Lucifer hanging around also plays a small part, not just Lucifer's interest in Chloe but also his potential bad influence on Trixie -- if you don't spend time with your family, Dan, guess who your daughter's biggest male role model's gonna be?

• Love 1

This Lucifer makes more sense than the completely evil one. I mean, if he hates God so much, why would he do exactly what God wants? But here, he's more like Hades: it's a dirty job and someone's got to do it. 

The ending was very intense and I loved it, but Lucifer didn't give a shit about his wings -or so he said- until Maze warned him about his reputation.