Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Favorite Son

Athena

Lucifer bails on Chloe when he becomes bored with her investigation into a ruthless biker gang murder. However, when he discovers something was stolen during the crime that was very personal to him, he demands that Chloe let him rejoin the case.

Wow - I really loved the two final scenes - first, the conversation with Dr. Linda. The way she took what Amendiel said and basically used it in a way to "convince" him to return to hell (but not realize that was the ultimate goal) was really good. And loved Lucifer's reasoning why he is angry at his father (he's totally right, IMO) and how he's pissed off that he can't ascend any more! When Tom Ellis wants to, he can be incredibly intimidating. But Dr Linda calling him Samael (sp?) over and over, and he getting more and more agitated was really well done. Great scene and interactions.

And I loved Lucifer being like "I'm not the one telling people to do evil!" Loved that and what can I say - I totally get why he's pissed at his father, and how this special task for the beloved son was really a punishment.

Then the final shot of him being pissed, then the show of the wings. Very cool. Though I'd like to know HOW he would reattach the wings.

Shows getting more interesting, but like many, it's the Lucifer/Maze/Amendiel and Dr. Linda that hold my interest. The COTW isn't really that interesting, though Maze messing with Dan was awesome!

I do have one question - Dr. Linda calls him Samael, and said it means "God's Beloved", but a quick internet search says that the name (in Jewish) means "Venom or Poison of God." Maybe I'm spelling it wrong?

• Love 4

I really dislike how lying tends to be handled on TV shows, especially if a young child is involved. There is usually a request for lying, which is supposedly "different" and then the child is rewarded for blackmail in some instances. Bleh. It's not about not lying, but about the reductiveness about 'all lies are bad.' Which I could rant about, but? I mostly found this interesting.

I guess having one's own fashion line is the new "I want to direct?"  After last week's episode, I'm not convinced it's that much safer than being a criminal gang leader.

I cannot explain the sheer fun not only of seeing Kevin Alejandro in bunny slippers, but Det. Douche finding himself in such straits in the first place. Maze offering to be taken in was icing on the cupcake. (Poor Chloe; now her love of 'Nsync can be used by Maze against her. )

Hey, Trixie, don't throw your buddy Lucifer under the bus; he may decide not to treat you like a cute puppy.

Oh, Dr. Linda. I get why you are open to listening to your neighbor, but Doc Amenadiel is up to no good in your neighborhood! Granted, not like what's up next week, but maybe you should do some independent study for a bit?

After the dude jumped off the roof and Lucifer looked confused and frustrated, Mr. A said that maybe Lucifer should stop doing  that since it wasn't helpful. I have to agree. the face reveals only work if you don't tip the scales to kill/ immediate brain melt. Since Lucifer doesn't have telepathy, hopefully, he will start to restrain himself and only unleash on those truly deserving.

I loved that the dolls were in the main compartment and chest.  I did like the last scene with Dr. Linda, but man, I am concerned for him and her. That's some balls to steal from this Lucifer.

• Love 4

The mytharc is getting more complex and interesting. Plus the(beautiful) wings looked kind of ergonomically correct. I liked that.

Mostly I just sit and stare wondering how silly boy can become so damn SEXY. I've decided he has black contacts on when he's hawt. Just...wow.

I abandoned scorpion really quickly for this. So much more fun, although it compares to Supernatural a bit.

• Love 5

That. Was really interesting. I like the direction this is going and the scene in doctor Linda's office was amazing. I wish there was a way to keep this kind of thing going without the police cases.

It does look like Lucifer and angel principal Woods (sorry I just can't spell his name) work together a bit next week. Now THAT is interesting too.

I also love that there is, at a minimum, one line that makes me laugh out loud every episode. "Hipsters and condescension"

• Love 9
(edited)

I liked this episode.  

I actually enjoyed all the characters in this episode, even Det. Douche (though I'll agree the Trixie blackmail was a little "eh").  Dan and Maze were surprisingly awesome though.  When Maze decides to have a little fun with the humans, it's pretty damn amusing.

The last few scenes were intense and well acted by everybody involved.

They did his wings justice, especially to the source material.  It will be interesting to see if he gets them back next week or if trying to get them back will be the remainder of the season.

The whole scene with Dr. Linda and picking up on calling him Samael was definitely pulled from the source material.  I have to give the writers props for working in the comics where they can, even if a direct lift and shift wasn't possible.  

Humble opinion and all that but when I was talking to someone about the show and the subject of the police procedural came up, I explained how the more I watched the more I got the impression that the police procedural aspect is more a plot device then a full on selling point.  Like this show isn't meant to be CSI or L&O levels of procedural.  I'm beginning to think that is why the police procedural aspect of the show is often kinda ... take with a giant grain of salt.  It's not meant to be the vehicle, it's meant to be a means to the next true plot point.

Edited by storyskip
  • Love 5

I was liking Chloe. But, having spent my "tweens" devoted to the Backstreet Boys, she may have to be to be dead to me. I don't write the rules. It's just how it is. That was hilarious. Some of the gags on the show have been pretty obvious, but it didn't occur to me the clothes would have to be Chloe's.

On a completely different note the ending scenes were so well done. Ellis definitely can't be accused of not having range. The case of the week didn't bore me but I spent it all anticipating the wings, I wasn't sure if Lucifer would be showing them to Chloe or if they'd be gone I just knew they were involved in the container, that most of it went by quickly, unlike last weeks case.

I'm really looking forward to next week!

• Love 2

Man, it's always weird whenever I see Tom Sizemore in anything.  I remember when he use to be a pretty good supporting character actor (and appeared in almost every war film made in the 2000s), but then I got addicted to drugs or something, which almost torpedoed his career.  I guess it's nice that he is getting work again.

The case of the week was more interesting this time around since it was personal to Lucifer and it brought major tension between him and Chloe.  I strangely kind of get where Chloe was coming from in that for his all his devilish acts (heh), he usually is completely honest with her, so him being so cagey is a pretty big warning sign. And I totally did not predict that it was his wings.  I have no idea who took them and what they want.

Dan and Maze was pretty fun.  I do like how they are letting the main cast interact with each other more.  Plus, it ends with Dan in a NSYNC shirt!  I wonder which costume department person found that in storage!

Amendial and Dr. Linda are great.  As was Linda getting into Lucifer's head in that final scene.  Tom Ellis sure brought the intensity in that moment.  Good to remember that Lucifer can be a scary, violent bastard.

• Love 1

I really can't figure out why I'm so eager to watch this show each week.  I can't stand police procedurals and barely tolerate COTW shows.  The potential for magical genitals curing all ills makes me gag.  Crushes for no apparent reason are annoying.  Bland romantic pairings, especially when they involve potential love triangles are the worst.

And yet there is something that keeps me coming back week after week, and not for hate watch reasons.  Like, I actually really love it.  I just don't know exactly why.  Does anyone else feel this way?  

I think Tom Ellis plays a big part as he definitely exhibits range and that flip from smiling happy go lucky to anger or rage is really addictive.  I could watch a gif or vine of it for hours and not lose interest.  The supernatural elements are certainly right up my alley, and I think all of those characters have good chemistry together.  I'm also enjoying the part the therapist is playing.  I'm mostly unfamiliar with the source material so don't know what to expect, but I'm almost tempted to read it because I'm feeling so eager.  Not sure if the source material is worth it or if it might break the spell the show has over me.  

• Love 5

I thought it was excellent. The mytharc so to speak was very interesting and I enjoyed the biblical information to try to trick Luci.  I also weirdly liked Det. Douche. After seeing him semi naked I do think Chloe might actually have a health condition where she is immune to sexy men. But Dan and Maze were fun together and I think I am shipping them at the moment. I actually was a little confused as to why Luci didn't tell Chloe about the wings. He has been extremely honest with her and that was one of the things I liked, but here he seemed really against telling her anything.  I was surprised Chloe admitted that she liked him.  The idea of Luci doing detective work is till bothersome but I guess I will just have to take it.  I love the way Tom Eills can flip from gregarious imp to dangerous and scary monster.  Though I don't think Dr. Linda is in danger. I think she was getting to him before angel principal Woods' interference.  I am not sure Luci did ever consider who he is, rather than labels other put on him.

• Love 2

It does look like Lucifer and angel principal Woods (sorry I just can't spell his name) work together a bit next week. Now THAT is interesting too.

I also love that there is, at a minimum, one line that makes me laugh out loud every episode. "Hipsters and condescension"

Hehe, I have the same problem. I can't remember the proper name, but I'm always thinking Woods.

This line taught me to be very careful when to drink during this show.

Dan and Maze was pretty fun.  I do like how they are letting the main cast interact with each other more.  Plus, it ends with Dan in a NSYNC shirt!  I wonder which costume department person found that in storage!

Amendial and Dr. Linda are great.  As was Linda getting into Lucifer's head in that final scene.  Tom Ellis sure brought the intensity in that moment.  Good to remember that Lucifer can be a scary, violent bastard.

They were brilliant together. And Maze didn't even bother to deny that she knocked him out and put him into his exes bed.

It's good to see glimpses of the actual devil once in a while. Being smirky and cocky all the time would get pretty old very quickly if he didn't lose his countenance once in a while.

And yet there is something that keeps me coming back week after week, and not for hate watch reasons.  Like, I actually really love it.  I just don't know exactly why.  Does anyone else feel this way?  

The devil makes you do it ;-)

I actually was a little confused as to why Luci didn't tell Chloe about the wings. He has been extremely honest with her and that was one of the things I liked, but here he seemed really against telling her anything. 

I think he knows by now that she wouldn't have believed him and more than likely gotten angry and shut him out again since she doesn't believe him to be the devil.

I really liked the episode, it gave Tom Ellis the opportunity to do some proper acting. Maze and Dan were very entertaining and Dr. Linda got to be more than a hormonal plot device, even if she was manipulated by Angel Woods.

• Love 2

I actually was a little confused as to why Luci didn't tell Chloe about the wings. He has been extremely honest with her and that was one of the things I liked, but here he seemed really against telling her anything.  

Sonja has a good speculation on this but just to throw out another perspective.

I'm not going to spoiler cut this because I don't think it's really spoiler-ific because we've seen hints of this in the show already but ...

For Lucifer his wings are a very intimate connection to Yahweh.  He's got something of a love/hate relationship with his wings, because they are both a symbol of the yoke his father holds over him and his relationship with Yahweh.  Just like his reaction to his name Samael, it's a VERY touchy subject. 

This is part of why, when he left Hell, he had his wings cut off a very strong symbolic message to his father, the host and even to himself.  Reconciling with his wings is it's own journey.

Even if Chloe believed him (and I agree with Sonja I don't think she would have, not at this point) talking about his wings is paramount to opening up about the most difficult relationship in his life.  It was interesting though, (and major props to Tom Ellis!) watching Luci struggle with trying to avoid the subject but at the same time not flat out lie to Chloe.   While he's fascinated by Chloe, likes her, wants in her pants, etc ... talking about his DAD issues is a whole different level of intimacy that he barely touches on with anyone but Michael in the comics.

I'm really glad the writers picked up on the "healed" aspect of his wings.  I wasn't sure, when we saw Amenadiel's wings if they were going to follow that design or the comics and they went with the comics.

• Love 4
(edited)

Who going to pay for that (big) hole he punched in the doctor office wall?

Does anyone else think the doctor looked very turned on. Rather Than very scared after he punched that big hole in her office wall?

I liked how out of nowhere. Chole says in the car during the stake out that she likes working with him. Did anyone else find that an intersting thing to say out of nowhere?!?

Edited by gwhh
Does anyone else think the doctor looked very turned on. Rather Than very scared after he punched that big hole in her office wall?

I think she looked like she was excited to seem to start getting through to Lucifer. No smarmy charm, no smiles, just intensity, and I think she thought she was making a major breakthrough. But then scared yes. For sure. Who wouldn't be.

For Lucifer his wings are a very intimate connection to Yahweh.  He's got something of a love/hate relationship with his wings, because they are both a symbol of the yoke his father holds over him and his relationship with Yahweh.  Just like his reaction to his name Samael, it's a VERY touchy subject.

I agree. It's why he reacted really standoffish and closed off (with some anger) when Chloe saw his wing scars. It's a very sensitive issue for Lucifer.

I'm really glad the writers picked up on the "healed" aspect of his wings.

I had to think back to what Amenadiel's looked like on the show - they were black, like raven's wings, right? Lucifer's would probably have been red, right, to match his skin tone? So the pristine 'angelic" white wings, represent the ones he had before he "fell" or rebelled. Interesting. Still want to know how he'll "reattach" them.

Oh, and I put money on Mazikeen (in cahoots with Amenadiel) being the ones who stole the wings. She knew that the shipping container wih "it' was stolen. Yes, she is the person who takes care of the logistics of things, but only ONE container was stolen out of all of the contraband in there and she brought it up to Lucifer immediately...shady. Unless another character has yet to be introduced, which is possible too. Just speculating.

• Love 2

Oh, and I put money on Mazikeen (in cahoots with Amendiel) being the ones who stole the wings. She knew that the shipping container wih "it' was stolen. Yes, she is the person who takes care of the logistics of things, but only ONE container was stolen out of all of the contraband in there and she brought it up to Lucifer immediately...shady. Unless another character has yet to be introduced, which is possible too. Just speculating.

I was thinking that Maze and Amenadiel were actually behind the theft, as I thought it was Maze who choked the guard.  I wasn't so sure about Amenadiel after the previews, but he is a sly one. He lies easily, even if the lies are "just" lies of omission. (There is a chance Dr. Linda would not help him if he presented himself as Lucifer's brother, so he lies. And so the lies start to stack like cord wood.)

The cut to Maze telling Lucifer implied some time had passed, but who would call Lux to tell Maze/Mr. Morningstar that their container was gone that (relatively) quickly? If the cops knew, Chloe would call Lucifer on his cell. If it was the warehouse, with or without the cops knowing just then, why call Lux and leave a potential paper trail? Surely Maze has a cell phone? 

Maze or Amenadiel can still be behind the theft, but neither seem to factor in just how over everything associated with his former lifestyle Lucifer is. Maze thinks it's a phase and he'll willingly return to Hell once he's well and truly bored with mortals/humanity. Amenadiel seems on edge about something not cool going down because Lucifer isn't in his place with a bright shining face. While that is reasonable- to a degree, the angel is totally indifferent to what Lucifer is feeling, as feelings are a luxury item and Lucifer is just a bratty kid. 

With Lucifer really pushing Maze's supposed role of his protector whether she likes it or not, and his hate of supposedly having to be in charge of Hell whether he likes it or not, that Lucifer would a) be more understanding of her pleas and b) be more smart about doing stooped risky things that he seems to expect Mazikeen to save him from. Too bad Dr. Linda is focused solely on the Chloe/Lucifer and (to her) "God"/"Lucifer" relationships.  Dr. Linda, even working in the metaphorical, could probably find a bit to mine from that too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Regarding wings.

In the comics....

In the comics his wings had turned to the traditional bat like wings we're used to seeing on demons from hell. It was Dream, Morpheus who he had cut them off in Sandman and Dream who Lucifer handed the key to Hell when he 'retired' and headed for LA. Obviously that's been changed for the show and it was Mazikeen who he had cut off his wings when he left Hell and we don't know what state they were in then, only what we've seen in the preview.

In the comics, his wings were collected by another 'death' god Inzami(sp) of the Windowless rooms. It's implied that these beings are 'collectors' and took the wings to add to their collection. From the looks of the previews, it appears that his wings have been taken by an art collector? I need to rewatch the preview but I think that's what I saw, which is kinda in line with the comics. So I don't think Mazikeen is responsible for their being taken, she's smarter than that and it's not as if Luci doesn't have plenty of other enemies who would like to get their hands on those wings.

In the comics when he goes to retrieve them, he does so from a position of being powerless, except for his wit and cunning. Also when he goes to get them, it's noted that they have "healed themselves" back to their pre-fallen state; classic archangel feathers.

It will be really interesting to see what the series does with the wings.  Once again, I'm impressed with how the writers are keeping very close to the main themes and storylines of the comics, with small adjustments to keep the show viable for network TV.

Also, just found this article about Amenadiel and Woodside.  It's very interesting though a little spoilery so approach accordingly.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/lucifers-woodside-spreads-his-wings-as-the-not-so-angelic-amenadiel

Edited by storyskip
  • Love 2

I've got to say, Maze seems like the perfect portrayal of a demon. Confident, enticing, completely amoral and unpredictable (unless you're prediction is that she's going to do bad shit). She's working in Lucifer's name, which means that the writers can have her do most of the dirty work and keep Lucifer looking nicely ambiguous.

I actually liked Dan in this one. Him being so manic and terrified of being found naked in Chloe's house was fun to watch. Then turning up in Chloe's pink tracksuit and Nsync t-shirt? Great visual comedy.

Motorcycle gangs always make me laugh. Such massive children, with their 'leather clad soldiers' pretensions. Tom Sizemore saying he's 54 and too old for that shit was hilarious. Because they mostly are silly middle aged men.

Lucifer enjoying hunting that guy, and showing how scary he can be? That needs to happen more. Even if he isn't 'evil', falling back into his old ways of punishing people should be a constant threat. The reveal that his wings were in the container was effective. No idea who has them, or what for. I'm guessing it's some human who thinks that they'll give him godlike powers. Could it be Maze and/or Amendiel? Sure. But I can't even imagine what they hope to achieve, other than making him realise what he's throwing away. Which... to be fair, seems to be working. But I don't think Maze has become so desperate yet that she'd do that to him.

D.B. Woodside always seems sleazy and sly to me. And he's really using those qualities in this show. The angel is creepier than the devil. Giving the therapist inside info about the devil was interesting. He's not out to hurt Lucifer, just to get him back on the clock.

• Love 4
Is anyone buying the idea that the hottest place in Los Angeles is a piano bar where some lanky Brit sings in the style of Bill Murray as Nick The Lounge Singer doing the theme from Star Wars?

If Tom Ellis decides to open one within driving distance of me as a side venture I'll become a regular. I'm just saying.

I've got to say, Maze seems like the perfect portrayal of a demon. Confident, enticing, completely amoral and unpredictable (unless you're prediction is that she's going to do bad shit). She's working in Lucifer's name, which means that the writers can have her do most of the dirty work and keep Lucifer looking nicely ambiguous.

I actually liked Dan in this one. Him being so manic and terrified of being found naked in Chloe's house was fun to watch. Then turning up in Chloe's pink tracksuit and Nsync t-shirt? Great visual comedy.

The ironic thing is Dan could have just told her the truth about exactly what happened and how he got there and there would have been zero consequences for him (with the bonus of Chloe getting some more evidence of what dangerous circles Lucifer runs in). Chloe's seen Mazikeen in action and already has her suspicions about shady goings on at Lux, hence why Dan was there asking for the books in the first place. Instead, he covered it up as if he had broken into her home naked of his own volition, and ended up encouraging Trixie to be dishonest to her mom and blackmail him in turn. It's like Lucifer is corrupting Chloe's family without even intentionally trying.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was kind of half paying attention to this episode until Lucifer stole Chloe's car and went after the bad biker (went hunting, as he put it). The 180 shift Tom Ellis did with the character totally grabbed me and I completely bought into how scary Luci can be when he's well and truly pissed off. He's had some mildly scary moments before, but it seemed like this time he went totally off the rails and shit got real, very fast. 

I'm unspoiled on the show so the reveal of his wings got me. They are beautiful and I'm starting to understand why this is so very personal to him. I did like the fake out of the nesting Russian dolls--technically, he didn't lie to Chloe about that.

Dr. Linda needs to tread carefully. She's being played by both sides and I'm afraid for her to be caught in the middle.

And one thing I thought of--Dan's outfit of pink track suit and NSYNC shirt was funny enough, but then you add in the idea that Trixie picked it out for him (because he told her to find daddy some clothes) and it's even funnier.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 4
(edited)

Oh Lucifer. Leaving Chloe high and dry because the murderer is not good looking, and died from boredom. Boring you say, Luci?

I love love the mythology. I never really thought about Lucifer that way. I am tempted to mix this newly learned myth into what I've been led to believe all my life. I mean, Lucifer wasn't cast out by God, he was given a task as the favored son? But they had a falling out right?

Right?! Regardless, I feel like doing some research. Thanks show.

ETA - The wings are gorgeous. I was surprised they were white. Wasn't expecting that.

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS

Reading the Book of Job will give you a view of the Devil's role re: God's plan that is not entirely unlike what Lucifer is saying in his conversations with Dr. Linda and Amanadiel.

• Love 2

I am enjoying this show more and more. The procedural stuff is alright, but the mythology is getting very interesting. 

I am very worried about Dr. Linda. She is getting involved in big forces that she does not understand, pushing buttons that might not need to be pushed. She does seem like a good therapist though, even if screwing one of your patients is not super ethical. 

Maz is great, and I always love seeing Spartacus actors on my screen again. Maz has one goal, and that goal is help Lucifer. Even if she feels like she has to save him from himself. I just think she is a really interesting character. 

Tom Ellis is still the main draw here. He really has a gift for being alternately funny and charming, as well as intimidating and scary. I think its his eyes, even without the contacts. He has really intense eyes, that can come off as very light and sparkly, or really focused and intense. 

• Love 2
I am very worried about Dr. Linda.

Me too. Very much. What I found interesting also was that even though Lucifer is incredibly angry and resentful, he never revealed his "Devil" face to her. When he wants to punish someone - deservedly - he reveals his "true" face but he never did with Dr. Linda, though he got angry enough to punch a wall. Plot convenience or deliberate, I don't know, but interesting nonetheless.

Tom Ellis is still the main draw here. He really has a gift for being alternately funny and charming, as well as intimidating and scary. I think its his eyes, even without the contacts. He has really intense eyes, that can come off as very light and sparkly, or really focused and intense.

Totally agree. And he's doing it more and more as the show goes on, so it's a really nice thing to see, that almost Jekyll and Hydeness of the character. He's not just a pretty charming face - there are some real demons (yeah, I said it!) and issues that are messing him up, and have been messing him up for millenia.

• Love 5

It's like Lucifer is corrupting Chloe's family without even intentionally trying.

I have to respectfully disagree. Mostly because of what you said before this line.

Dan could have just been honest and told Chloe that he was following a lead she had given him. Chloe, as you explained, knew what Dan was doing and who Dan was probably going to talk with. Granted, Chloe and Dan are written as cops who are incredulous when their open-and-shut-cases aren't that simple, but Chloe would have had a talk with Maze and/or Lucifer about boundaries and her house, imo.

Lucifer, and Mazikeen by extention, aren't corrupting Chloe, Dan and Beatrice/Beatrix.  They choose to lie. Bea lied because of her (situationally) agreeing with Lucifer's very straightforward credo. She's six -eight years old and it was chocolate cake. Dan, though, openly chuckled at Chloe's frustration ( undermining Chloe's parental power in Chloe's house) and swaggered in with his 'what did we say about lies' stuff that he expects Bea to follow until he "needs" her to lie. And under the enraging "playing a game" bs that in the real world has scary, further-reaching consequences. Dan could have just had Bea bring Chloe in and said that he needed to talk to Chloe about a case they were working.  He also could have passed off the nekkid dad stuff to Bea because Chloe passed off the 'What's a hooker' talk off to him.  But no, Dan did not have to lie to anyone. He chose to do that.

I don't really count Dan not taking Maze in for assault because we've seen cops take passes on some charges in order to get either a bigger crime charged or criminal jailed.

I dislike how lies tend to get dealt with on TV because it often gets boiled down to lies=Evil. Then there is "humorous" walking back with white lies and the characters who fully believe that lies are Evil look like hypocrites. White lies have times and places, as much as brutal honesty does. It's not simple, yet a number of writers want to have their characters believe that, with no gray area, so they can mine "humor".  Unfortunately, this would be a great place to deal with how the "Prince of Lies" is one of the more honest characters in the show and a supposedly stand-up cop, in Dan, resorts to lies the second he loses control of a situation and not a situation that was horrific at that. ( He was naked, at his ex's house and was found by his loving, young daughter. It could have been horrifically worse and necessitated some lies, but it wasn't.)

• Love 2

Me too. Very much. What I found interesting also was that even though Lucifer is incredibly angry and resentful, he never revealed his "Devil" face to her. When he wants to punish someone - deservedly - he reveals his "true" face but he never did with Dr. Linda, though he got angry enough to punch a wall. Plot convenience or deliberate, I don't know, but interesting nonetheless.

I'm going to step up and say I think it was deliberate (maybe with a small side of 'don't kill off Rachel Harris ;) ) but this was the story tellers' chance to give evidence of what Lucifer has been saying since the beginning.

Humanity has been laying atrocities at Lucifer's door for eons, because that is what they were told to do.  Whether he was taking action to deserve it or not.  It's a very subtle nuance, even in the source material but there is the "common held opinion" that Lucifer built Hell, when the truth is he merely let it form around him, as developed by humanity's design.  This is part of his frustration, even if he was cast to the point furthermost from his father's influence he was still trapped within his father's grand plan; which is what he rebelled against in the beginning.

Lucifer wasn't angry at Dr. Linda, there was no reason to punish her for doing what he's asked of her so why would he punish her?  The "Lucifer" who would punish an innocent woman doing her job, is the Lucifer of the myth and legend he hates.  Yes he was angry and he was hurt and she was hitting all those deep wounds that he tries to hide, (without realizing just what she was rousing in terms of power) but what she was doing wasn't punishable because she wasn't guilty of any wrong. 

So in truth, his choice to punch the wall, when you take into consideration how much distress he was in over his wings and how deeply she was gouging into painful, frustrating, confusing territory for him, could be seen is Lucifer not just talking the talk but walking the walk.  Sure he could have lashed out at Dr. Linda, physically, verbally, demonically, but that wouldn't have been either just or fair.  

• Love 10
Lucifer wasn't angry at Dr. Linda, there was no reason to punish her for doing what he's asked of her so why would he punish her?  The "Lucifer" who would punish an innocent woman doing her job, is the Lucifer of the myth and legend he hates.  Yes he was angry and he was hurt and she was hitting all those deep wounds that he tries to hide, (without realizing just what she was rousing in terms of power) but what she was doing wasn't punishable because she wasn't guilty of any wrong.

That's what I was thinking too, but I was pondering if Lucifer "lost control" like that, would it be possible for him to momentarily reveal himself, without meaning to. Like, in his anger, he accidently drops the physical facade. He obviously ensures that he reveals himself when rightfully punishing those who deserve it.

I'm enjoying that more and more the progress we are seeing at the therapy sessions - that Lucifer willingly attends and hasn't gotten bored with it yet - and each time, it gets more and more intense. Also I'm getting a real kick out of him starting to undo his belt, but then Dr. Linda is like "let's talk" or continues delving into issues. Takes lots of willpower, I tell ya!

Could be seen is Lucifer not just talking the talk but walking the walk.

I'm liking that Lucifer never lies and is actually a decent moral person (in his own way, but yes), yet Amenadiel is the one deceiving and lying to the humans around him. It's a nice twist.

Humanity has been laying atrocities at Lucifer's door for eons, because that is what they were told to do.

Still blown away by those final two scenes in the show - that conversation with Dr. Linda was amazing, and both actors did such a good job with it. One can't help but be understanding, on his side. At least, I am. Don't blame him for being angry at all.

• Love 5

I wonder what Dective Dan would say if he was asked what he wanted by Luc?

I'm guessing that 'my wife and daughter back' would be fairly high on the list. The show has never told us why or how Dan and Chloe split up, but it looks like Dan still has feelings for Chloe. And I'm sure that, if the show runs for long enough, that will be used as an angst point, with some sort of love triangle emerging.

It's interesting that Lucifer never has asked him what he wants. Dan seems to be sort of beneath notice for him. He likes to annoy him, but never seems to think of him as anyone of consequence.

Humanity has been laying atrocities at Lucifer's door for eons, because that is what they were told to do.  Whether he was taking action to deserve it or not.  It's a very subtle nuance, even in the source material but there is the "common held opinion" that Lucifer built Hell, when the truth is he merely let it form around him, as developed by humanity's design.  This is part of his frustration, even if he was cast to the point furthermost from his father's influence he was still trapped within his father's grand plan; which is what he rebelled against in the beginning.

That's a very cool aspect of the mythology. The things that he is being blamed for are, in his eyes, ultimately his father's responsibility. He made humanity, he gave them free will, and when they enact that free will to do terrible things (as humanity so often does), it's Lucifer who has to take the responsibility of punishing them, and he isn't even appreciated for it. Humanity hates him and demonises (if you'll pardon the pun) him all the more for it.

But now he's starting to see that humanity can be more than just decadent pleasure and punishing the guilty. He's starting to buy into God's vision, in his own way. As much as I don't particularly care for the idea, it seems like the show's ultimate aim is to tell a story where Lucifer ends up back in God's grace.

• Love 5
(edited)

Dan and Maze was pretty fun.  I do like how they are letting the main cast interact with each other more.  Plus, it ends with Dan in a NSYNC shirt!  I wonder which costume department person found that in storage!

I know they were going for the visual humor, but my first thought when he went back to yell at Maze was, "Like he wouldn't have gone home to change first instead of being seen in that pink outfit and NSYNC t-shirt."

I'm finding the Lucifer vs. Amenadiel intriguing, but at the same time I have issue with the way Amenadiel is handling everything. If he's really working for God in this attempt of his to send Lucifer back to Hell, what kind of angel is he? Dr. Linda said he seemed "pure," but he's actually been lying and manipulating in order to get the results he hopes for. I know he says he's a warrior for God, but what kind of God would allow his angels to be liars or manipulate human beings to do his bidding? And while I get the whole need for a balance of good and evil, what kind of God is cool with people being tortured for eternity? What kind of God is cool with making his son hurt and torture people, and call it a "gift"? Here, my "favorite son," go live in Hell and do unspeakably horrific things to people for the rest of your "life." Wow, thanks, Dad.

Maybe it's because I'm not religious, but I find it interesting, the plot idea that God might be a self-serving asshole and the Devil actually has a reason or right for being mad at Him. I don't know where the showrunners are planning to go; I too am not familiar with the source material, but it does make me want to read it!

Or what Halcyon Days said. LOL.

I'm liking that Lucifer never lies and is actually a decent moral person (in his own way, but yes), yet Amenadiel is the one deceiving and lying to the humans around him. It's a nice twist.

Side note: impressive singing, Mr. Ellis. 

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 6

It was a bit disconcerting I must say, when right after the previews aired there was a commercial for chicken wings... and so the picture of the amputated outstretched wing and question of who the hell has it had a kind of surreal flavor. No seriously though, who has 'em and how did they know about the secret compartment?

I continue to be impressed with the shades of darkness that filter through that snark-filled..ahem..devil make- care attitude he showcases every now and again; but this week that I-don't-give-a-rat's-ass demeanor was blown to smithereens. The pressure was on Lucifer at every turn and losing his cool over other earthly matters had never seemed too much of a bother for him. Not so in the latest outing though. Linda---a woman he usually sought some sort of solace from---well maybe more of his personal and private guide to explain his new consciousness, put him on the offensive thanks to Amendiel. Chloe sort of admonished him by questioning his decision to be secretive--though she did admit that she liked working with him and Maze continued to voice her irritability at the mortal he's becoming. These annoyances set the stage for his 180 degree turn from boredom to anxiety and then anger. But those irritants seemed petty compared to the revelation about his reasons for leaving Hell in the first place. That rationality spoke volumes regarding the catalyst for his 'rebellion' against daddy.

It's the age old authoritative parental style; that do as I say-ism that demands little or minimal self direction and initiates a whole lot of anger.  "He vilified me--he shunned me". Lucifer's pissed that his PR has defined him in a way that he had no control over. It wasn't 'earned' so to speak. He has good reason for his ire of course, but the manner in which he chooses to 'rebel' sometimes (not often thought) come off as him being more of a petulant child. Not so though, because his circumstance became quite sympathetic when the image of his amputated wings kinda loomed after focusing on his scarred back.

If only we could get more of this potentially exciting story arc and less procedural. There were some funny bits with Trixie and less funny bits with Dan. No more bar/garage scenes with Chloe and Lucifer against hoodlums please. Tom--nice job singing with Nina Simone's "Sinner Man".

• Love 4

First off, Trixie makes everything better. I love that lil snaggletooth ankle biter!

Luci, hunni! You're super pissed, and your brother's being a dick, I get it. But you're scaring Dr. Linda so cut it out.

The outburst was very telling. He needs his wings to return to his father. The preview made it seem as if the wings were up for auction - wasn't there some Price is Right chick standing next to the case they were in? And I'm thinking, since he's a supernatural being, all he'd have to do is have the wings placed in their rightful spot and poof! they'd immediately attach and become part of him again since that's where they're supposed to be.

Chloe is growing on me. Yeah, I said it. ;)

• Love 3
(edited)

As soon as Maze announced that it was Lucifer's own storage unit that got stolen, i figured it would turn out to have his wings.

Also, this episode finally resolves the question of whether Maze is a succubus or not. A succubus would be able to occupy a man's attention without having to resort to bashing him on the head.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 2

I'm finding the Lucifer vs. Amenadiel intriguing, but at the same time I have issue with the way Amenadiel is handling everything. If he's really working for God in this attempt of his to send Lucifer back to Hell, what kind of angel is he? Dr. Linda said he seemed "pure," but he's actually been lying and manipulating in order to get the results he hopes for. I know he says he's a warrior for God, but what kind of God would allow his angels to be liars or manipulate human beings to do his bidding? And while I get the whole need for a balance of good and evil, what kind of God is cool with people being tortured for eternity? What kind of God is cool with making his son hurt and torture people, and call it a "gift"? Here, my "favorite son," go live in Hell and do unspeakably horrific things to people for the rest of your "life." Wow, thanks, Dad.

Having been brought up kicking and screaming as a recalcitrant Catholic, and having dumped it wholesale at a very early age, I've always wondered what kind of God would insist on eternal punishment for things like eating meat on Fridays, or command that you sacrifice your first-born and then say oh ha ha, just kidding. That is no kind of god worth worshipping, and I'll take Odin or Dionysus any day.

So I am delighted to see a show that puts the Devil in the position that this one does. And Lucifer Morningstar is more moral than his father by a long shot. Or than his brother Amenadiel: no scriptural angel lies to and manipulates humans; that's something only "bad" angels do. So I wonder just who's the Fallen here. And as is continually being pointed out, "Lucifer" does mean "light-bringer", and there are early Christian heresies (promptly swatted down by the Church) that maintained that the work of true Christians was to restore Lucifer to his place in heaven. Real Manicheanism was persecuted by both the Church and the Roman state, though the Church denied it outwardly yet employed it hypocritically as a device, seeking as always to have things both ways.

In any case, I am enjoying the show immensely and pray that it doesn't get canceled. Have we heard yet from hordes of screaming Christians protesting it?

I'm not at all familiar with the framing story, though I've read other of Neil Gaiman's works, so this is all new and fun for me. And Tom Ellis (unfamiliar with him as well) is an absolute delight. I actually jumped when he went all Satan-y on Linda in the shrink office; he's really good at switching off the twinkle and turning on the satanic afterburners. Though I'm meh about Cop Chick and Detective Douche: the characters don't seem defined enough for me.

• Love 5

Also, just found this article about Amenadiel and Woodside.  It's very interesting though a little spoilery so approach accordingly.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/lucifers-woodside-spreads-his-wings-as-the-not-so-angelic-amenadiel

Thank you for the link! Doesn't really endear Amenadiel to me in any way though.

So he thinks the job really sucks and therefore wants to condemn his brother, who has already had the questionable pleasure of filling the role for eons to do it again so he doesn't have to. Show a bit of compassion, you're supposed to be an angel. And his brother damnit.

Lucifer enjoying hunting that guy, and showing how scary he can be? That needs to happen more. Even if he isn't 'evil', falling back into his old ways of punishing people should be a constant threat. The reveal that his wings were in the container was effective.

I loved Kevin Alejandro in Southland, so seeing him play Detective Douche irked me on some level. I was really happy about those scenes where he was something else than irritating for a change. Including making it to Taco Tuesday after overhearing Chloe on the phone, as sad as it is that this was what it took for him to make time for his family.

Sadly, I was sure his wings were in the container from the start, but him taking Chloe's car and chasing that guy was great.

When he wants to punish someone - deservedly - he reveals his "true" face but he never did with Dr. Linda, though he got angry enough to punch a wall. Plot convenience or deliberate, I don't know, but interesting nonetheless.

That's just it though, he repeatedly mentions justice or in this ep things being unjust. Dr. Linda might say things he really doesn't want to hear, but she hasn't done anything wrong, so she doesn't deserve punishment. He seems very much into holding people accountable for their actions which he feels are blamed on him, not into random violence.

I know they were going for the visual humor, but my first thought when he went back to yell at Maze was, "Like he wouldn't have gone home to change first instead of being seen in that pink outfit and NSYNC t-shirt."

That was my first thought as well but then I figured he would probably have his housekeys in his clothes which would not be at Chloe's house because Maze wanted us to have the opportunity to see him in a fetching ensemble of his daughter's choice.

When Dr. Linda called him 'pure', I wondered when pure had become a synonym for dirty, lying, selfrighteous bastard.

Having been brought up kicking and screaming as a recalcitrant Catholic, and having dumped it wholesale at a very early age, I've always wondered what kind of God would insist on eternal punishment for things like eating meat on Fridays, or command that you sacrifice your first-born and then say oh ha ha, just kidding.

So I am delighted to see a show that puts the Devil in the position that this one does. And Lucifer Morningstar is more moral than his father by a long shot. Or than his brother Amenadiel: no scriptural angel lies to and manipulates humans; that's something only "bad" angels do. So I wonder just who's the Fallen here. And as is continually being pointed out, "Lucifer" does mean "light-bringer", and there are early Christian heresies (promptly swatted down by the Church) that maintained that the work of true Christians was to restore Lucifer to his place in heaven. Real Manicheanism was persecuted by both the Church and the Roman state, though the Church denied it outwardly yet employed it hypocritically as a device, seeking as always to have things both ways.

In any case, I am enjoying the show immensely and pray that it doesn't get canceled. Have we heard yet from hordes of screaming Christians protesting it?

Sinkwriter and you (and Stephen Fry in the now infamous interview with an Irish journalist) just pretty much summed up one of the many reasons why I asked for excommunication when I was 14.

Didn't Neil Gaiman write something in the foreword of the first Lucifer book alluding to this? I think it was something along the lines of him waiting for some Christian fundamentalists burning down the DC offices. I think there were protesters against the new Damien series at Comic Con, but I have no idea if they noticed Lucifer yet.

Also, either my hearing is more damaged than I thought or they haven't used Devil Inside by INXS yet. I could have bet it would be played within the first three eps, so kudos on not being completely predictable and giving us singing Tom Ellis instead.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thank you for the link! Doesn't really endear Amenadiel to me in any way though.

So he thinks the job really sucks and therefore wants to condemn his brother, who has already had the questionable pleasure of filling the role for eons to do it again so he doesn't have to. Show a bit of compassion, you're supposed to be an angel. And his brother damnit.

Yeah and ...

I'm not sure how I feel about the writers trying to combine the Amenadiel character and Michael. In the comics, Lucifer really has 0 use or respect for Amenadiel, pretty much just how we've seen him be in the series and the quip about "look forward to eating your heart" he'd totally say that to Amenadiel, no problem. And the feeling is appropriately mutual. Also Amenadiel from the comics would and does pull some shady stuff, like he does in the series. But Michael is an entirely different story. Michael and Lucifer are never going to be BFFs but the familial bond between them, the genuine love and deep sorrow jumps off the pages. Luci would never relish the idea of destroying Michael and Michael NEVER hated Lucifer. Disappointed in him, exasperated by him, frustrated by him yes, yes, yes but never hate. In so many ways, they're all the other has in all of creation and they do love one another. So combining a character who genuinely hates (and tries to kill) Lucifer with the character who probably loves Lucifer the most, the way this article makes it sound is ... eh. But to give the writer's their due (and the actors) I'm definitely willing to go along for the ride and see if they make it work. I was just surprised to read that Amenadiel was supposed to be a combination of the comic Michael & Amenadiel.

Edited by storyskip
  • Love 1

Yeah and ...

I'm not sure how I feel about the writers trying to combine the Amenadiel character and Michael. In the comics, Lucifer really has 0 use or respect for Amenadiel, pretty much just how we've seen him be in the series and the quip about "look forward to eating your heart" he'd totally say that to Amenadiel, no problem. And the feeling is appropriately mutual. Also Amenadiel from the comics would and does pull some shady stuff, like he does in the series. But Michael is an entirely different story. Michael and Lucifer are never going to be BFFs but the familial bond between them, the genuine love and deep sorrow jumps off the pages. Luci would never relish the idea of destroying Michael and Michael NEVER hated Lucifer. Disappointed in him, exasperated by him, frustrated by him yes, yes, yes but never hate. In so many ways, they're all the other has in all of creation and they do love one another. So combining a character who genuinely hates (and tries to kill) Lucifer with the character who probably loves Lucifer the most, the way this article makes it sound is ... eh. But to give the writer's their due (and the actors) I'm definitely willing to go along for the ride and see if they make it work. I was just surprised to read that Amenadiel was supposed to be a combination of the comic Michael & Amenadiel.

I don't get that either;

even someone who hasn't been brought up with all this stuff is immediately going to think about Michael and Gabriel when you talk about angels, even if they never heard of all the other ones. So why basically eliminate a household name and shoehorn him into this completly different character? Makes as much sense on a marketing level as it does content-wise. None.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise as well though. Let's see where they take us...

(edited)

I was pleased to finally hear Chloe utter the phrase "conflict of interest" but then five seconds later they basically ignored it. And he didn't really seem to be doing his "look at you so you say/do whatever you want" thing and they sort of implied it doesn't work on her anyway, so why exactly was he allowed to continue at all? Annoying.

Also Dan made no sense because he said he woke up naked in his ex's BED. So he was in her room. So instead of sneaking around the house still naked to be caught by kiddo in kiddo's room...borrow some clothes from the closet in the room you're already in and then sneak out? But then we have no hijinx so of course logic must be disregarded.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

When Dr. Linda called him 'pure', I wondered when pure had become a synonym for dirty, lying, selfrighteous bastard.

HAHAHAHAAAA! YES.

Also, either my hearing is more damaged than I thought or they haven't used Devil Inside by INXS yet.

Ooh, I can't believe I forgot about that one! Good call. 

And they still haven't used Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones. Maybe they're saving up the big ones for the end of the season. Or, those songs are too expensive.

• Love 1
Also Dan made no sense because he said he woke up naked in his ex's BED. So he was in her room. So instead of sneaking around the house still naked to be caught by kiddo in kiddo's room...borrow some clothes from the closet in the room you're already in and then sneak out? But then we have no hijinx so of course logic must be disregarded.

Her "bed" looked a lot like a pull out couch in the living room. He was definitely not in a bedroom, he was in the main room, you could see the front door behind the "bed" so I think it must be her mothers house and rather than share a room with Trixie she sleeps on the couch while Trixie got the guest room? IDK, it was weird.

• Love 1

And they still haven't used Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones. Maybe they're saving up the big ones for the end of the season. Or, those songs are too expensive.

Considering most of the CGI effects on this show make Gods of Egypt look like Avatar, I'm guessing it's the latter. (I will give props to the work on Mazikeen's reflection, which was boosted by combination with really effective direction/cinematrography and music. Also, whoever made Lucifer's wings is a master, presumably of practical effects work rather than computer graphics.)

• Love 1

Chloe didn't annoy me as much in this episode. But she is still oddly devoid of emotion. Other than flashes of irritation, this woman shows no excitement, no joy, no passion, no happiness and not much energy. I'm not sure if it's an intentional part of the character or just bad acting or bad writing. I'm probably 20 years older than her and I'm giddy as a schoolgirl in comparison. She's either beaten down and/or depressed. Either way, I don't find her interesting. But I wonder if that is why she is immune to Lucifer. She has no desires or passions.

• Love 3

It definitely seems like a song they'd either use right away because it's expected (just get it out of the way), or hold in their back pocket for a special reason. (If the song rights are able to be attained.)