Type keyword(s) to search

Banshee - General Discussion

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

This was a great episode where the stakes were high and we finally got back to some Banshee action!

The Cruz/Carrie fight was pretty amazing, though I was somewhat disappointed that Cruz got away. Having Deva back added a great emotional layer to the episode, reuniting Carrie and Hood, after they have mostly been separate all season. Carrie's breakdown at the end was nicely played by Ivana Milicevic.

I'm also enjoying the Proctor/brotherhood storyline. I think it's getting more interesting.

The only thing I can't get behind is the lame serial killer storyline. I initially wanted to wait and see how it turns out, but I feel like the show would have been better off if they had just expanded on  Watts,  Proctor and the brotherhood, as well as on  Carrie's vigilanteism and maybe Job's disappearance rather than introducing a murder mystery. There's nothing clever or particularly exciting about that storyline and it's disappointing that FaithB.I. got so easily overwhelmed by Satanist housewife. Even more disappointing that they fridged Rebecca for that storyline.

I love that Siobhan's death broke Hood. He's not even able to continue with his sexy womanizing anymore. On other shows, the dead love interest is forgotten in just a couple of episodes. In this show, it overshadows everything the hero does. That's great storytelling.

I don't think the police found her secret armory. I rewatched it and it just showed the cops and medics carrying out dead bodies in the background. Bunker took Cana's statement and checked if she was okay. I hope Brock comes down hard on Cruz and uses this to get her off the department. I have never liked her. There will be another showdown for sure with Cana & Cruz. Hopefully that fight goes the way we want. 

I loved Job playing uncle by giving Deva an escape plan and quick lesson in shooting. Took him only 10 seconds tops. That definitely saved her life. Even though Deva was upset for her first killing, she is the child of NLH and Cana. I'm sure there will be more bodies to follow (if Banshee lives on in posterity). So sad her saying she wanted to go back home...I don't think she will ever consider this new place home after the trauma.

This show is so great, they think of everything. When Deva shot the guy in the barn/garage, I even noticed the blood drip on the truck when Cana was hugging her afterwards. Plus, when NLH and Cana were hugging after her emotional burst, the camera panned down to show them both standing in a muddy circle. The symbolism was so apt, these two turn the world around them into a muddy mess. Now that is attention to detail. 

Do you think Veronica is going to die? Or will Lucas & Brock arrive in the nick of time? Guess we find out next week. 

Dream ending, Cana & NLH get together, they all live happily ever after with Job, Sugar and their kids. Of course, this is Banshee, so to probably not going to happen. 

Was that Rebecca's grave that Burton dug?  it seems like she would have been buried already - and didn't we see her funeral?  Anyway, that was a pretty big pile of dirt, and that was a pretty small shovel.  Or, was this a dream? 

I like the season and this episode generally, but there really isn't much Lucas.  Yeah, I know he had a belated breakdown and went to a few places with Faith.B.I, but it's like he's a peripheral character.

Much as I like Frederick Weller, those "devil horns" look ridiculous, not scary in the least.  It's like he has a few lumps on his forehead.  I know they needed something immediately recognizable, but how about some distinctive tattoos, or a split tongue or something. 

On 5/8/2016 at 6:11 AM, nosleepforme said:

With all the damsels in distress and Rebecca's death this season, I hope that Veronica will save herself rather than die or be rescued by men.

I hope Cana & NHL will never get together again, but I think the show has already established that the epic romance between these two is in the past and that there is too much collateral damage for them to get back together and live happily ever after.

16 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I like the season and this episode generally, but there really isn't much Lucas.  Yeah, I know he had a belated breakdown and went to a few places with Faith.B.I, but it's like he's a peripheral character.

Much as I like Frederick Weller, those "devil horns" look ridiculous, not scary in the least.  It's like he has a few lumps on his forehead.  I know they needed something immediately recognizable, but how about some distinctive tattoos, or a split tongue or something. 

Just speculating here. It looked to me they were setting up for Banshee spin off staring Eliza Dushku as FaithBI.  Has there been any hint for such show in development?

They needed to make the "devil horns" bigger or something, they just look like lumps. I didn't even know what they were supposed to be at first. 

Is FaithBI going to be another dead person in Hood's wake or is she going to be able to escape? 

I liked that Dava saved herself, even though it's going to mess her up. Maybe now she'll understand why her parents are so messed up. Does Proctor know that Cana is a gangster's daughter? 

• Love 1
On 5/8/2016 at 0:00 AM, DarkRaichu said:

The absent of bare boobs during NLH almost! sexy time was glaring... for this show :P

I can't believe there are only 2 episodes left

On your first point: I bet Dushku has just enough clout to veto bare boobage.  During said 'sexy time' I tweeted that I found it interesting that NLH thought of Siobhan and not Cana during it.  Guess what?! Cinemax themselves re-tweeted it!!! I feel so validated now.[/kidding!].

On your second: me too.

On 5/8/2016 at 7:11 AM, nosleepforme said:

With all the damsels in distress and Rebecca's death this season, I hope that Veronica will save herself rather than die or be rescued by men.

I hope Cana & NHL will never get together again, but I think the show has already established that the epic romance between these two is in the past and that there is too much collateral damage for them to get back together and live happily ever after.

So, you don't want her going to any hockey games?

Deva is going to need serious therapy.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

He's one of the main actors on the show.

I thought so, from how prominent he was in the ad I saw.  But IMDb (aka Incorrect Movie Database) showed him in only the one.  Perhaps they don't update it until the show is under way?

Confession -- I really, really want to know "Lucas Hood's" real name!!! I get the show wanting to keep it unknown for the symbolism of lost identity, but in that case I don't think they should cliff-hanger tease it the way they have with his whispering it to Siobhan and Brock asking just before being interrupted.  It's most powerful as a nothing or as a full reveal.  I feel like it's cheapened by in-between winky-wink almost telling.

I really see the whole series as an origin story and I'm way more interested in unraveling that than the serial killer sub-par plot.  

Also, for a story that takes on the long-term consequences of traumatic decisions, it feels off that Rebecca was undone by Satan. Guess the Amish were right all along!  

The Job part: exquisite.

Wish there were more episodes. 

• Love 1

Man, Job was the best part of all of this. I'm not convinced that Rebecca was killed by the serial killer. I really loved NHL's confession. That was fantastic.

At this point I don't ever want to know his real name.

• Love 2
On May 9, 2016 at 11:44 AM, DarkRaichu said:

Just speculating here. It looked to me they were setting up for Banshee spin off staring Eliza Dushku as FaithBI.  Has there been any hint for such show in development?

I would love to see a Job spinoff. He is one clever kickass Rupaul.  It's bittersweet. I can't wait for next week's show but I'm going to be awfully sad that it's gone. 

• Love 1

I was fairly happy that they resolved the serial killer thing quickly, rather than have it be the climax to the series. That said, I agree with those who say that it was/is a ridiculous plot to begin with, especially if they really were the ones who killed Rebecca. It would have been enough motivation, IMO, to get the team back together just to rescue Job, without Rebecca's murder in the mix. Burton taking down the Nazis? Wonderful. Burton taking out Cruz? Unsatisfying. Should have been Carrie, for sure.

I did like the NLH/Brock team-up. Brock's intention to be the bestest sheriff ever would have made in sense in any town that was NOT the freak show that Banshee is! NLH was the right man for the job because he didn't play by rules. He was the Sheriff Banshee needed. And the fact that he got them out of the predicament proved that.

Job's scene was pure poetry. Loved every minute of it! I want a spin-off of Black Widow Carrie and Job 2.0 fighting crime, or stealing stuff, or whatever. With Sugar as a regular and Deva somewhere far far away.

• Love 2
(edited)

Agree that the next to last episode should have been spent setting up the finale.

BTW:        Satanic serial killer should not have been the cause of Rebecca's demise.What an Effing waste of a great character.

Probably should be a 2 hour finale to properly end the series. Lots of character story lines to kill off. 

In the end it has to be about Hood and Carrie. That's what the whole series has been based on.

Edited by Hipshooter
(edited)
On 5/14/2016 at 4:02 AM, nosleepforme said:

I am die-hard Fanshee, but I think this was probably by far the worst episode of the entire series. It just felt all over the place and not in the good way in which Banshee usually is all over the place. The serial killer storyline was just a bad idea. Bode never graduated from a silly joke to a believable antagonist, he was a thinly drawn cliché without any nuance. Hell, Cheyton, Rabbit and Stone were more layered than this dude. This whole storyline just never went beyond silly, tired, worn out tropes. Eliza Dushku's character was totally useless and not needed at all. I think they only brought her in, because they ran out of female characters to put in danger. Worse, this whole storyline took out Rebecca (even though she most certainly was killed by Burton), who would have been an interesting foil in the whole Proctor-Brotherhood storyline. 

Too much Eliza Dushku IMHO, which was why I was asking if this was a setup for her own (spinoff) series.  I mean who really cares about a brand new character on the last season of the show?  The screen time could have been used to flash out the existing characters.

New!Job was a very clever and fitting way to conclude Job's abduction storyline.

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1

Still working my way through season three and am confused about Carrie and Gordon's living situation.  Carrie's back in the house and Gordon is in an apartment?  I must have skipped an episode, because for awhile it looked like Gordon was in the house and Carrie was elsewhere. 

If Carrie's in the house, why is she waitressing?  Is it to make extra money to pay for the boy's medical treatment? 

Well, shit. I actually cried a lot in the last 20 minutes. That was a beautiful send off. I'm just going to pretend that this season had nothing to do with serial killers or FaithBI.

I'm gonna miss the stupid show so much.

• Love 6

Seeing the Proctor reaction when Burton was revealed to be the killer indicates to me that he would never have done harm to Rebecca.  She had made so many bad moves that affected Proctor's business in the past.  All of which seemed to be forgiven as he attempted to bring her back and continue to mentor her.

Up until this final season, I was betting that R would be one of the last ones standing in Banshee, as the heir to the Proctor dynasty.  But then again, she did move to Hawaii, oops.

• Love 1

Was I supposed to cry at Burton and Proctor's last scene?  Because I did.  I believe Proctor forgave him and understood why he killed her, although he had to snap his neck.  So happy for Sugar, get out of that hell hole bar.  Not digging Job's hair color, but loved his last line.

• Love 1

It was a nice send off. I just wish they didn't do the serial killer plot and kept it with the characters we do know. If they had to do Rebecca's murder they still could've kept it with investigating the characters already established. Then close up the other plots like did. 

I'm glad the original characters, NLH, Cana, Job, Sugar and Brock all lived. Too many shows want to kill off the main cast and this show is known for being a bloodbath. I'm glad the characters that deserved to die were the ones to go. 

• Love 5

Have to agree that the whole serial killer plot was just a waste. But I also thought it a waste to kill Rebecca in the first place. As stated by an earlier poster, Burton had plenty of opportunity/motive in prior seasons, and if the actress was obviously available for this entire half-season, why not do something better with her? I could see so many storylines where she either oversteps or actually makes Proctor more money but a larger target, which would have a more satisfying result (at least for me), and NLH's return to life could and should have easily been about freeing Job.

The final good-byes for most of the characters as well as the incorporation of flashbacks were well done, though. And I loved the scene with Carrie, Job, and BROCK ruining Proctor's deal! I still see a potential Job spin-off, and would watch the heck out of it.

• Love 4

So the Harley was just sitting there in the barn all of these years?  Was it Sugar's job description to maintain the thing because it looked shiny to me, plus it still worked :D

There, 1 last snark on the show before this thread is lost in time :( 

Kudos to Frankie Faison for emoting so much emotion during his exit scenes WITHOUT saying a single word

• Love 1

So his real name is "Gary"?

The actress who played "Siobahn" says that's the name that Antony Starr whispered in her ear, and then at the end as"Hood" is walking away from Carrie, it sounds like she says, "It's Gary."

Being as she's using an alias as well, I may have misheard and she said, "It's Carrie."

On 5/11/2016 at 1:51 PM, nosleepforme said:

He's one of the main actors on the show.

The trailers/previews are airing on TV now and I kept looking at the bearded guy with the longish black hair and wondering where I have seen him before and then...BAM!!  He sure looks different but good.  The Aussie accent was a helpful clue.

Season finales are never easy,series finales are damn near impossible due to all the story lines .Getting NLH's name was never a big deal for me.I was glad the last season included Lili Simmons throughout.She was possibly THE hottest character of any series I've ever watched.She was great in True Detective too!

The show had a great run and ended as well as was possible.Lots of story lines were closed satisfactorily in MHO.

I thought the whole thing was groundbreaking and look forward to other shows trying to meet and break the bar that Banshee set.

Thank you to all the were involved in this series and know you did top work.At least as far as this fan is concerned.

I've got the DVD's so the show will live on for a long time around my place.

• Love 2

Finished.  The series is a nitpicker's dream, if the nitpicker is a fan of procedurals.  All those bodies, all those crimes -- the things they got away with!  Thank heaven I'm not a nitpicker.

The quality of the acting drew me in, especially Lili Simmons.  I didn't care for her character at first, but at the end, her death, and its impact on Kai and Lucas, hit me the hardest.  Simmons didn't over-play he part, she let her eyes and facial expressions do all the work. 

Amazing series.  I look forward to watching it again.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:21 PM, nosleepforme said:

I completely agree with your post. It would have made sense to keep Rebecca and only kill her off in the last few episodes. Her exit from the show was so abrupt, not to mention that Hood's bonding with her in the flashbacks to give them a deeper connection again, felt forced and rushed. They haven't really interacted a lot in recent seasons. It would also have been interesting to see her second-guess her choice to stay in Proctor's life, something they alluded to in the flashbacks and the Banshee origins episode, but something they didn't flesh out a lot. Last season she was determined to live in this world, her sudden inner conflict this season could have been explored more with a little bit more time.

Her exit was also not really beneficial to Proctor's storyline as he lost one of the main characters that he interacted with, when he was not crossing paths with Hood. With Hood and Proctor barely at each other's throats this season, Proctor had almost nobody to play off (Calvin was a non-entity since he was new, Burton is great, but he's always been more of a silent scene partner).

But generally, I think it was obvious that the budget for the show was cut really deeply this season and that they decided to end the show, because they felt like they couldn't guarantee to deliver two seasons up to the standards of the first three seasons with a cut budget and even more potential budget cuts in the future. I think- creatively - the show had two seasons left in it and with all the new players they introduced in late season three, it certainly felt as if they were setting up the show for a longer run.

I think the final season was solid despite some flaws. I already miss the show. Did you guys notice that the last line in the show was "what are you going to do now?" ? Well, what are we going to do now that the show is over?

And Faith said to Buffy,  "What are you going to do now?"  .....the last line in Buffy.

Wow, what an ending to a great show that I will miss.  Loved all the actors and characters. 

Job was great and would love to see him in his own show. 

I liked how they had Proctor going down, but we don't see him die, just like Davy Crockett in the Alamo.

This will definitely go down as one of my top shows of all time.

• Love 2