Type keyword(s) to search

Banshee - General Discussion

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

While Rebecca certainly doesn't seem to have issues with the violence part of her new life, Kai is going to need to instill some better restraint in her, or her impulsiveness is going to come back to bite her.

I am VERY excited to see Meaghan Rath show up as the take no shit reservation deputy, Amiee. I really hope she sticks around for a while. I love the actress and the character is definitely looking good too.

I also really liked Nola and Carrie bonding over the problematic men of their respective families (and pie). While they could be interesting enemies, I'd much rather them be allies.

I'm pretty sure Chayton sent those two guys over meaning to get them killed and really start a war off, especially since he didn't let his brother go on the run. He had to know that nabbing Rebecca AND Kai would be more than a two man job.

I was afraid that there was going to be a karmic turn for Rebecca's embrace of casual violence in the opening scene, especially as she's directly responsible for Longshadow's death. I am ashamed at myself for how much I enjoyed the over-the-topness of that opener. (BTW, why the substitution for the usual? Anyone know?) I just realized when we got to the obligatory Dava appearance at how over-populated the Banshee cast has become. It makes for a richer show, but also provides so much more in the way of potential deaths. And LOL at the guy who came by to "avenge" himself over the Carrie attack only to be ass-kicked by Nola!

• Love 2

Eriu:

"Chief marine guy was the guy that Carrie was boinking earlier, right?"

I looked at that closely and don't think it was Carrie ! Eyes were wrong and Lips too full ? Hard to tell?

It was Carrie. I think the scene was shot to allow use of a body double for the most graphic parts of that scene, but that can't be the source of your confusion, because Carrie's face not being shown is why I think so. :-)

So is Rath's character supposed to be Amerindian and from the reservation?

Between her job and Deputy Billy's comments on how she feels he left her behind, I'd certainly assume so.

Edited by Eriu

I love her so I can run with it. But my brain keeps going, wrong Indian. I probably wouldn't think about it so much if she weren't Indian specifically. I know that sort of thing happens all the time and I don't usually even blink.

• Love 1

Well fuck, everything just went to shit for everyone didn't it? That was also an incredibly surreal episode, what with all the random flashbacks.

In fact, I was kinda hoping that the whole thing would turn out to be some wonky dream, anything to save Nola. I've been down with all the crazy shit the writers have thrown at us, but I think that was a rather big misstep. Sure, the fight was Ah-Maz-Ing, but her death seems, at least at this point, fairly pointless. She came back just for that? Especially after bonding with Carrie last episode?

I was terrified to find myself almost shipping Chayton/Aimee when they were talking in the tent. It would be so wrong. But so hot. But so wrong.

Brock's lap dance before it got interrupted was the best lap dance ever, especially talking into her boobs.

With all the absurd dark comedy of this episode I really thought fat mobster I thought was gonna get stuck in the trap door.

• Love 1

In the face of possible death, Siobhan and Deva was on Hood's mind.

Don't ever recall seeing two people brawl in the backseat of a car.

Well done Banshee.

Odette Annable is a series regular on an upcoming ABC drama.

Perhaps that's why Nola was killed off.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 1

That was an epic fight. It is sad to see Nola die like that and as mentioned above seemingly so pointless. It almost makes me think that there may have been issues behind the scenes that caused them to kill her like this or maybe it will be less random down the line. I mean look at this ep, the random hired gun seemed like a one off ep and now comes back again.

No wonder Proctor is making so much money from the strip club. Not only do men get nudity but apparently great advise.

Yes there definitely seemed to be something between Chayton and Aimee and yes it would be hot and wrong. Which means the show needs to go for it.

Always good for Sugar and Job working together.

Hood should have killed FBI got just for fucking up his life just to find out about Rancin (sp?) Now it will be interesting to see how this works out with Kelly.

ETA: I have seen a fight scene in a car before on the show Chuck. It was also a good fight scene. Who knew fight scenes in a car could work out so well?

Edited by ybrik

Yeah, that was pretty bullshit, and not just because I liked Nola.  But Proctor et al have been racking up win after win after win against the Kinaho, and considering that just last episode we had Kinaho tribesmen attacking the Proctor home only to get killed, it just seems redundant.  Plus, it robs a conflict of all tension if it's just completely one sided the way it is..  Plus there was a hell of a lot more potential left in Proctor being left without his faithful manservant/bodyguard and Nola alive than the other way around.

• Love 1

I like Burton and Nola, so that was an exhausting scene, as I was switching allegiances depending upon who had the current advantage. Still, announcing what you're going to do is pretty foolish, but how would anyone assume that a guy with an injury like that would be capable of putting up such a fight? And poor NLH! I seriously could not come up with who had abducted him until it was explained, but nice to see that the show really does not ignore loose ends! That was some heavy duty stuff he went through! Glad we had the Job and Sugar scene to lighten up the ep a bit. Looks like maybe we might get a real name next week?

• Love 2

Odette Annable is a series regular on an upcoming ABC drama.

Perhaps that's why Nola was killed off.

That's probably it then. Although they could have just had her leave town. I always hate when an actor gets a new job that the reaction from the writers is usually just to kill them off quickly. It might not work out with her new show and she could have come back. 

I only saw Siobhan and Deva.

I just love how no one on this show gives a fuck. Emily walked in the room to see a beaten and bloody guy and just offers to help stitch him up. 

I'm sad that they killed Nola, but that was an awesome fight. Burton is just a badass all the way isn't he?

Meghan Rath is playing an American Indian, okay. I'm glad to see her so I'll let it pass.

It should be interesting now that Siobhan knows he's not Lucas Hood, but we still don't know his real name and it appears no one does. 

Edited by Sakura12

Unfortunately one of the flashes did have Carrie in it. It was the one that started with Deva sitting in the backseat of Hoods car crying, then a quick shot of Carrie and Hood kissing, followed by Hood and Siobhan hugging outside her trailer when he got back from NY.

I loved this episode. The only blemish was Nola dying instead of Burton as I really liked her.

Nola vs Burton was awesome.  Never were a car, an axe, and a few surgical knives been used in a fight that brutal, yet efficient.

So.. can one survive a throat being removed out of her ?

Brock's lap therapy was all kinds of funny

• Love 2

Nola vs Burton was awesome.  Never were a car, an axe, and a few surgical knives been used in a fight that brutal, yet efficient.

So.. can one survive a throat being removed out of her ?

Brock's lap therapy was all kinds of funny

If you can, try to watch the 'inside the episode' from On Demand; apparently the fight scene took 5 months or so to choreograph and they onyl had the one day to film it.

When Burton had Nola's windpipe in his hand (never thought I'd type such a sentence) I could only think "he ripped her throat out; literally ripped it out!".

And yes, lap therapy was funny.

• Love 1

This episode was really intense. I was riveted form the Nola-Burton heavyweight match, to the Fatman kidnapping, the strip club shootout, and Hood going back to save the FBI guy, wow. Just when I was about to have a heart attack, they end with Siobhan asking Hood who he really is. Then FBI guy was like sorry had to CMA, but thanks for saving me, I just felt Hood's dejection. Didn't realized he'd mailed that stuff to Banshee PD, though, until the reveal, interested to see how this plays out...

I finally watched last week's episode and I don't know why I waited so long! I thought the craziest thing in this episode was going to be the death of Nola, which I am not over btw. I wasn't sure if I wanted to root for Burton or Nola but I didn't want either of them to die. That was a crazy awesome fight.

However the ending blew all that out of the water. Siobhan knows! Hot damn! How is this only the third episode? Nola's dead, Tommy's dead. Look out everyone because Chayton is going to be even more pissed. I fear for Raven.

I totally think Brock's ex is going to sleep with Proctor and good luck when Rebecca finds out. Proctor's mother so knew about the grossness between them.

As expected, Banshee not only hit the ground running, it never stops. NLH is still playing both sides od the law and not suprisingly, it's caught up with him-again. Now Cana, Sugar and Job not only know his true identity, now Siobhan knows too. As the past two seasons proved, anyone who gets caught up in NLH's bullshit pays for it, in one way or another. My unspoiled spec is that Siobhan will probably compromise her principles to save NLH's ass, which will hurt her, if not destroy her. That Cana slept with Col. Stone, NLH's latest mark, who also happens to be corrupt, violent and batshit crazy doesn't help, as proven by his almost killing one of his now-ex-soldiers for stealing. If Stone got that pissed over a few stacks, then he'll lose it over losing millions. Speaking of losing it, that's what Cana's been doing since her and Gordon divorced, whether it's her booty calls with Stone, her dead-end waitressing job or her pulling another job with NLH and company without considering what could happen to her kids if she got caught again. However, Cana can still kick ass, as a certain asshole customer learned the hard way not once but twice. the second time courtesy of Nola, proving that the only things that douche is good at are talking shit and getting beat up by women.

Meanwhile, Gordon had a downward spiral of his own, which included drinking, inappropriate flirting and hiring hookers, but to his credit, at least he seems to be snapping out of it. Re Proctor and Rebecca, so much wrong on so many levels. His turning Rebecca into a cold-blooded killer is bad enough, but the incest is disgusting. Rebecca's figuratively and literally embracing her dark side should and hopefully will backfire. Like I say, "If you sleep with the Devil, you'll wake up with third-degree burns on your ass."  As for Proctor, his mother may have technically died of cancer, but IMO she's been slowly dying of a broken heart for decades because of him. Ma Proctor was right to warn him to get Rebecca out of that house for her sake, not knowing that it's already too late for her, which was the best, given Ma Proctor's condition. To make things worse, Proctor and Chayton's feud has spun out of control on both sides. Banshee has more than enough shit to handle without them going to war on top of it. Then there's Burton. Calling him dangerous is like calling the Amish strict. If ever anyone epitomized the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover," it's Burton, as he's proven time and time again, especially to Nola (RIP), his latest victim. Nola gave Burton the figt of his life, even though she ultimately lost hers. Re Chayton, he's a one-man army. He has pride in his heritage, but he shows it in all the wrong ways, to put it mildly, most of which involve violence and homicide. Aimee deserves better.

I heart Job and Sugar. I think they're hilarious together. They fight like an old married couple and it's fun to watch. Of course, Job's fierceness mustn't go unnoticed. He's his usual fierce self, whether he's hacking at gunpoint, in a gunfight or posing as an office drone. Job even makes overalls look fabulous.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Bumping it up to show some much-needed Season 3 love for Job. He's his usual fierce self, whether he was forced to hack with a gun to his head (until Fat Au came along), involved in a shoot-out or pretending to be an office drone. Job even makes overalls fabulous. Best of all is his friendship with Sugar. They bicker like an old married couple. I not only love them together, I would love for Cinemax to do a web-based spin-off series with the two of them plus Fat Au going cross-country giving their own spin on local tourist attractions.

I guess that the precinct showdown will result in everyone bonding enough for this to make sense for NLH to stick around, even after the incredibly ill-advised attack on Kai. Where was Burton during that, by the way? Hanging at home with Grandma and the nurse?

Poor Aimee, actually trying to be a cop and do the right thing and getting horribly stuck in the middle with no one else helping her.

Carrie beating the shit out of asshole biker and flipping off the cops during a high speed chase was very entertaining, though I'm glad she admitted how pointless it was.

Brock just seems so resigned to NLH's antics. Poor guy doesn't even get to go visit his stripper-therapist anymore.

• Love 2

I tend to wonder whether the show is making a case for self-destructive behavior being genetic, what with Cana, Deva, and NLH all spiralling out of control in one episode. When he went after Kai I was all like WTF, in that it would sidetrack the very real war that had been laid out between Proctor and the Res, but I should have more faith in the writers. Putting Kai in the jail just at the point that Cheyton and his group attack the precinct works so well! Not a great night for the job applicant guy to make another attempt, but I guess he'll prove he has what it takes or not when the going gets rough. I do hope that Siobhan survives, so that she and NLH can have a real talk, but I wonder if he might even hesitate to save her under the current circumstances?

Cheyton is going to mess shit up! Then they are going to need NLH because he knows how to fight like the gangsters they are fighting. This show does not waste time. Almost every scene is an adrenaline rush. 

NLH attacking Procter like that was unexpected and another brutal fight scene. Not as good as Nola vs Burton, I think that one will go down as my favorite. 

I'm wondering if Carre's going to bond with her daughter by teaching her to be a better thief. 

ETA: I forgot I totally loved the Burton and Rebecca team up. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I still haven't recovered from poor Nola but appreciate she went out like a bad ass.  That fight was epic.  I was so hoping for a draw so both characters could live to fight another day.

I thought it was interesting that while Proctor and NLH were fighting Rebecca stayed out of it.   She just seemed to be watching and not trying to help Proctor at all.  At this point I assume she keeps some sort of weapon near by and could have intervened if she really wanted to even if only by grabbing a cell phone to call Burton.  I'm convinced Rebecca will be the one responsible for Proctor's demise.   She's gone out of her way to show her loyalty to Proctor and that's given her his trust and access to his business.  Still I think her end game is to be the boss at some point and that means getting Proctor out of the way eventually.  She's playing a long game that I think has been happening since Proctor had Jason Hood killed making it clear how much control Proctor has over her life. 

BTW, Burton and Rebecca working together was amazing to watch.   They weren't talking to each other but were in total violent sync.  Those two are very scary together, and I want to see more.  If Rebecca starts overtly working against Proctor, who would have Burton's loyalty?  Would he abandon Proctor in favor of Rebecca now that he seems to respect her killer tendencies?

So, I figure Proctor/Emily ending up in bed at some point is inevitable right?   Brock's going to need a ton of lap dance therapy if the show goes there.

I really enjoy the Canna/NLH dynamic when it's platonic.  As friends they are compelling but as a couple I found them horrible.

I'm happy Gordon is done with his self indulgent pity party.  He has every right to be angry with Cana, but he wronged the kids by wallowing in his own pain. 

Aimee really is in a crap position.   I worry things won't end well for her.

I'll be really sad if Siobhan dies.  I hope the writers decide that the current crisis is enough to keep Siobhan from forcing NLH out and they won't decide to kill her.

• Love 1

Luckylyn, if I could put "I agree with everything you said" in just an upvote, I would.  Since I can't -- here it is in text, "I agree with everything you said."

Especially,  

I really enjoy the Canna/NLH dynamic when it's platonic.  As friends they are compelling but as a couple I found them horrible.

Unpopular opinion, though, I don't like Rebecca the character -- I don't find her credible.  The violence and sex on this show is cartoonish but the character inter-dynamics aren't.  I find her swap from cloistered Amish girl to psychopathic killer strained.  Also, the actress has all kinds of problems with her physical presence -- when your hips enter a room before your boobs do, I think you need to reevaluate.  Or see a chiropractor.

Edited by Captanne

I find Rebecca's brand of crazy kind of fascinating.  She was already interested in the sex, violence, wealth, and power since season 1.  I feel like Proctor's possessiveness has kinda made her more extreme either to show off how bad ass she is to gain more trust and responsibility, some sort of crazy survival tactic, or out of genuine thirst for violence.  One thing that I think is new is she's become much more cold.  I think one issue with Rebecca is that there is no one she can have an honest conversation with and so viewers are left to fanwank what is going on in her head.  Her character needs a friend to help provide insight but maybe the writer's want viewers uncertain about her so that there's a surprise in her outcome.  I do think she's reached a point of no return.  The violence is very much a part of her now and she seems to enjoy it which will either make her more dangerous or more careless.  She's had a reckless streak all along and that could be her downfall.  I'm dying to see how she'd respond if Proctor honored his mother's wish and forced Rebecca out.

• Love 4

Good idea that she needs someone to explain her motivations to -- because a) the actress isn't getting that across to me with her performance and b) because of this major gap in her performance, I'm not interested enough to try to fanwank it.

On the other hand, outside of HER job, the rest of the cast and crew have lingered on her long enough to make your suggestion of her plotting, planning and calculating to be totally in line with the character and believable.  You've done the fanwanking for me!  

It's unfortunate that the actress made that necessary.

Edited by Captanne

I keep coming back to that moment where Rebecca touched the blood on the head of her victim before she and Burton blew up the car.   It made me wonder about her mental state especially the way the it was shot and edited to cut kind of oddly at that moment.  I really think the ambiguity with her is intentional, but there's a limit to how long it can go on before she's just a plot point because her motivations aren't understood.  I think she'll either end up the big boss or dead.

• Love 2

I seem to remember the camera lingering on her at the desk going over the books -- I think with Proctor over her shoulder but just barely in the shot?  I immediately thought, "She's taking over as soon as humanly possible.  Proctor is toast and she's going to be why."  

• Love 1

Another thing that makes me upset that Nola died is, I would've loved to see her and Canna bonding more, their scene in the diner was great. 

As for Rebecca, that girl is one screw loose from going complete psycho and killing Procter. It will be great because everyone is trying to kill him, NLH, Cheyton, the Red Bones, etc... and she'll be the one to take him out because he trusts her. 

• Love 2

Yes !!!  Definitely R.I.P. Nola. Six white horses come to take you home.You will be missed.

I for one love Rebecca. She is with out a doubt the sexiest woman currently on the TV screen. Batshit crazy .....but still hot as they come. Can't get my mind around how fast she turned to pure evil though.

Deva is a bomb waiting to explode. Is she eighteen?

The Kinaho are soon to go the way of the cowboys and Indians. Chayton and the redbones are tough as they come but up against too many white men.

Has there ever been a bloodier show than Banshee? Just over the top violent. Let the war begin.