Type keyword(s) to search

The Fashion Fund - General Discussion

Bella
  • Start Topic

I'm so happy the show is back and Dao-Yi Chow can still get it! ;)

My top three picks from last season were pretty good (Public School, Marc Alary and the bison guy), so we'll see how I do this season.

My favorite designers were Ryan Roche (knitwear), Gigi (hats) and Eva (jewelry). I didn't connect with any of the guys but once they present their work I'll get a better feel for everyone.

• Love 2

Glad to see this show is back, it's what Project Runway wishes it could be. I don't have any favorites yet, but the jewelry line looks interesting. The books they all put together looked amazing, they really make them work just to apply to the program.

• Love 3

I really enjoy this show, although I don't really "get" what so important about Fashion with a capital F, so some of this is lost on me.

When the judges say things like it would be great to have a denim person in this group, but it has to be the right denim person, my head goes into the Scooby tilt. They're jeans. They're blue cotton. What makes these so much different and better than the ones I see at the mall? 

When the lady with the plastic purses shows her collection of...well...plastic purses, I wonder if this is one of those "emperor's new clothes" moments. Everyone talking about how fabulous her creations are, when they're...well...plastic purses.

I also don't get what's so great about Anna Wintour. Just looking at her, with her bob and her little ladylike dresses, her personal style seems very one-note and doesn't scream "fashion" to me.

Still,despite not getting it I like the creative process and seeing all that goes into design, and that's why I watch. I liked seeing the creativity that the designers put into their books, and I'm looking forward to seeing their studios and how they handle the maybelline challenge. Especially now that they've got hat lady, plastic purse lady, shoe guy, and a couple of jewelry people.It will be interesting to see what challenge they come up with that can be adapted to other things besides clothing. I don't know how hat  lady or purse lady would've handled the uniqlo challenge last year.

Also, I'm  not a fan of Ryan Roche's blush pink thing. It can be soft and pretty, but then it gets real tired.

• Love 1

I also don't get what's so great about Anna Wintour. Just looking at her, with her bob and her little ladylike dresses, her personal style seems very one-note and doesn't scream "fashion" to me.

I think her importance is due to running Vogue & "creating" top designers more than any personal style of her own. I do wonder if she's still held in such high regard after the Kim Kardashian/Kanye West cover debacle, it certainly dropped her a number of notches down in my regard.

• Love 2

I just this minute discovered this show.  Watching "The Ten Ten."  I am pretty sure they will show repeats often and I will catch up.  I think I like it.

ETA: Wrong show!  I thought I was in the Master Chef Canada!   And yes, I got it that this was the first show!  And I like it.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I just this minute discovered this show.  Watching "The Ten Ten."  I am pretty sure they will show repeats often and I will catch up.  I think I like it. 

The season just started so there's only one episode so far, you've caught up already :-)

Not sure if i have any favorites yet too early to say. Was so happy to see Public School, especially Dao-Yo Chow! I fell in love with them last year! Excited to see how this season goes. It us great to see a show with talented judges and real fashion talent.

• Love 1

Yay! Fashion Fund is back! I was hoping House of DVF was going to follow this example, but sadly no. So I was especially glad to see this show come back. The group of 10 looks like a great bunch, and I'm ready to see what they've got in store.

Grey Ant needs to hire a spokesperson, those 2 people are seriously inarticulate. I'm still liking the jewelry (Eva?) line best, but at $4000.00 for a ring, I will probably never own any LOL. I don't understand the designer with the really short hair who loves pink & lives upstate, she has a hobby, not a business.

• Love 1

Grey Ant they definitely needs a spokesperson, they were so silent at times you could hear crickets.

I don't get the appeal of the plastic handbags. She also needs to watch her reactions to their questions. After the presentation she came across very bitchy about the quality control thing. Surely she expected to be grilled about everything.

Love the jewelry, but $5000 a ring count me out!

I loved Tanya, the girl with the grandfather who left a fortune to all his granddaughters--that is so not my world, I can't even. But I like her and I like her clothes. I liked Ryan and her knitwear, too. I thought it was pretty and unique. No one else really caught my interest except the jewelry designer, but I am ready with the popcorn! I love this show! It make Project Runway look so low-rent in comparison.

I like the Tanya girl as well.  What a great grandfather and what a tribute to him that she is actually go forward with the dream he had for his 6 granddaughters.

I am always interested when they talk about how great someones designs are.  I admit I don't get the jewelry praise.  It looks very ordinary.  Nice but I've seen it before. I totally get the upstate lady.  Those pieces are fabulous but what makes them fabulous also makes them one of a kind and labor intensive.  It's not a business that will ever have volume.  I like the hat lady too.  So this season I'm all about the accessories, well with the exception of the purses.  How did she get to final ten?

Oh dear Grey Aunt, why don't these people let me answer the questions.  They need to hire a second in command that is the public front to their brand.  Why didn't they say that when the panel said you two suck?  Because they don't want any interference.  So they won't make it to an award.

Tanya should have told them she needed them to mentor her expansion that just having the money doesn't mean that you want to just throw it around crazy like.

• Love 2

I hate to keep comparing this to Project Runway, but this feels so much more professional. PR feels like they're dealing with a bunch of fake designers, TFF feels like real designers who actually are part of the fashion world.

• Love 3

Every episode I watch I squee whenever the gentlemen from Public School are on for a sound bite, love them. Still not sure who are the f Ripon runners for me.

It was interesting seeing their advertising ideas. Did the jewelry lady even have any jewelery in the tension photo they were all ohhing and ahhing over? I too disliked the sexy ad presented by Grey Ant. I know sex sells, but it did not do anything positive for their product.

Still love seeing behind the curtain of the fashion world.

I'm just now getting around to watching this season because the NYT spoiled it for me.  I was reading an article about the House of DVF show and they felt the need to say who won the Fashion Fund even though it hadn't aired yet.  I really hate being spoilered.  I really liked last season because it's such a positive contrast to the trainwreck of PR although I wish someone else had won.  Now I have no rooting interest since I know who won.

That was a crap thing for them to do, they had to know it hadn't aired yet, they could have at least put a spoiler warning into the article. Did you send them a nasty email?

I loved Gray Ants glasses, loved them, but can any 2 people be more dull?   

The only jewelry I saw in the photo shoot was the X ring on the middle finger of the woman who was clutching the back of the male model's head.  I am sure they all showed more but it would  have made the show too long had we seen their entire presentations.  Loved that ring.  

I like the plastic purses but I would never carry one.  They are a fashion piece and not practical to use.  I suppose for red carpet events or photo shoots would work. 

I liked the men who had older people in their ad.  They clothes were hip (for lack of a better word) and different.  

• Love 1

I thought Grey Ants glasses are kind of boring. They're all from the Buddy Holly style, and that's not a huge market. Plus, they just got defensive when their ad was critiqued.

I loved Wes'  photo shoot with the chickens. I wouldn't have picked him for a farmboy.

Ryan Roche's ad was stellar and could her family be anymore ridiculously photogenic? What beautiful photos.

I also loved Orley's hip ads.

I was kind of disappointed in Taylor, though. I hope she bounces back.

Orley's ads were fabulous. And I just love Ryan, her super supportive husband, her adorable kids, and her beautiful, one of a kind pieces. I hope she goes very very far. I like Wes very much, his clothes are to die for and he seems very focused and likeable. Agree on Tanya, she seems to be a tad overwhelmed. Her clothes are so pretty! I had to laugh when we met her mother "I was a single mom, and I had to run a large multinational corporation!" so funny! A total turning of the "wah! I was a single mom!" trope on its head! Nothing about working three jobs or not having any money or having to dumpster dive for school shoes. hee hee. I'm growing to like the jewelry designer quite a bit--Eva? She comes across as very down to earth and no bullshit to me. I like that in a person. Shoe guy I don't get at all, and I still don't get Grey Ant. Their frames are cool, but they are so utterly lacking in charm or the ability to communicate their vision, it can't help but hurt them.

• Love 1

I want to like Ryan. I feel like I should like Ryan. But I'm not there. Probably because I think it's deeply affected to have a signature color (especially one as bland as that) and wear it to death. I used to like blush pink before Ryan came along. I did like her ad though.

I like "X-ring" lady too. Although for the life of me, I don't get what's so great about her jewelry. I've seen both the X ring and the X bracelet in other stores, and nothing else in her collection stood out to me.

The Grey Ant people are painful to watch.  Everything about them shrieks "I am so uncomfortable. Please don't talk to me." I don't know what they're going to do when the woman has that baby, which seems to be on target to happen before this contest is over. She seems to think she can just pop the kid out and go right back to work. Unless she's got full time child care, that seems unlikely. And how is the guy going to function without her? He does not seem equipped at all to successfully manage and navigate the social interactions required by this type of situation.

You're a designer competing in The Fashion Fund. The judges are coming to your studio to see your work. Anna WIntour is coming to your studio to see your work. How stupid do you have to be to move & not tell them?

I really don't like Orley's clothes. I just hate the hipster vibe.

I want to like Ryan. I feel like I should like Ryan. But I'm not there. Probably because I think it's deeply affected to have a signature color (especially one as bland as that) and wear it to death. I used to like blush pink before Ryan came along. I did like her ad though.

I don't like her either, I think it's her hair.

• Love 3

Love this show and the fashion week presentations but I still am not in love with any of the designers work. Ryan seems like a very sweet person, but not crazy about all her sweaters. The shoe guy, sorry name forgotten, his are nice but to me nothing ground breaking. The purse, glasses and hat lady not my thing, but mind you I am a regular mom not a fashionista. I think the jewelry ladies presentation was the best but I still did not see anything I was like ooh have to have that and pay a ton for it.

That being said I still am enjoying this season, it is always interesting to see behind the scenes.

Found the 2nd season accidentally, then was frustrated that On Demand isn't actually on demand. Had to resort to YouTube to catch up the first three episodes.

I wonder if this is one of those "emperor's new clothes" moments

I love fashion, but I can see how much of that world is superficial and populated by mean girls. A lot of its success is based on a very small clique whose opinions everyone else buys in to. The Rag & Bone guys, for example, are dour and seem to be quite full of themselves. And I laughed at Anna having to trudge through the city because of an address change - she definitely made her displeasure known. It appears she refused to shake the woebegone designer's hand when they left. What an entitled ass; mistakes happen.

Having vented my populist spleen, I'll weigh in that I love Ryan's knits, although clearly she'll have to expand from the pink; I like the jewelry but have seen it (probably hers, in magazines, because Eva says Hollywood wears her jewelry); and what little we've seen of Wes Gordon's clothes.

Has the Fund ever awarded to an accessories designer? I don't understand their inclusion in the competition if the odds are against them.

ETA: Ryan's hair is way too dark. And she reminds me of Robin Wright. According to LinkedIn, her hubby is some kind of financial guy, which probably explains funding for the "hobby" and lovely house.

Edited by pasdetrois

I don't like her either, I think it's her hair.

I agree!  I find it distracting and it does nothing to enhance her appearance.  I think I know what she is going for but it isn't working.   No make up creates a beige person as dull as her collection.  

The jewelry presentation was fabulous but her pieces are so tiny and delicate you can barely make out what they are.  They might be nice. :>) 

The amount of vocal fry I'm hearing drives me batty.

I didn't hear them announce the prizes yet this season, but I could have missed it.  What I liked last time was that there are three levels of award, unlike most shows where it's winner take all.  Of course this competition existed before it was televised.  The NYT spoilered me on the winner but they didn't say who finished 2nd or 3rd. 

The amount of vocal fry I'm hearing drives me batty.

I didn't hear them announce the prizes yet this season, but I could have missed it.  What I liked last time was that there are three levels of award, unlike most shows where it's winner take all.  Of course this competition existed before it was televised.  The NYT spoilered me on the winner but they didn't say who finished 2nd or 3rd. 

While trying to find the names of the contestants I stumbled upon the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.   I don't mind being spoiled for this show at all. 

Edited by wings707

Right. Now that I know the winner, I'm interested in the path taken, as none of these seem a sure thing. I thought Public School was a strong contender last season, and I'm not seeing the same level of differentiation this season.

I haven't seen this full episode yet but Tanya Taylor's not providing the new address made her seem amateurish. That collection was kinda bleh too.

Don't get the Orley love. But then again, I don't find the tiny men who'd fit their clothing particularly attractive either.

I can't believe the finale is next week. I feel like this season I'm loving the idea of the show more than any particular designer. Last season I think we got a better look behind the scenes to see each designers process. I dunno, I just feel like I don't really know most of the finalists all that well.

Its starting to look like Orley will take the top prize with Eva taking second. I think the third spot is up for grabs between Wes, Tanya & Ryan.

The judges really seem to dislike the purse lady. I wonder why she was selected instead of another clothing designer.

• Love 1

I can't believe the finale is next week. I feel like this season I'm loving the idea of the show more than any particular designer. Last season I think we got a better look behind the scenes to see each designers process. I dunno, I just feel like I don't really know most of the finalists all that well.

Its starting to look like Orley will take the top prize with Eva taking second. I think the third spot is up for grabs between Wes, Tanya & Ryan.

The judges really seem to dislike the purse lady. I wonder why she was selected instead of another clothing designer.

I didn't realize next week it's done, didn't it just start?

I do not like Orley's clothes, & I really hope they don't win. I do like Eva's stuff though.

It does feel like it just started but last season had the same amount of episodes (6).

Was anyone else wondering what the heck was going on with Ryan's model for the design challenge? She was all slouchy and pissy like she didn't want to be there. Maybe it was intentional but all I could think was "It's two minutes of your life in front of important fashion insiders, suck it up girl!"

Edited by crimsongrl

I agree that Ryan seems affected, not just because of the pink signature color but because of a weird kind of affectation that seems to creep into her accent. I thought at first that she might have been born in England, but her website says she was born and raised in Idaho or something.  So the weird pronunciation is just her affectation.  She also notes on her website that her goal is to become a lifestyle brand, presumably in the the mold of someone like Martha Stewart.  It all fits:  the gorgeous supportive family with ample resources, the country house, sweaters made from angora rabbit fur that the rabbit farm-owning friend collects only from fur that they lose naturally when they molt  . . .  For me it's a little much, plus the really unattractive hair.  I admit I have a little bit of the same reaction to her as that I had to the two Victorias last season.

• Love 1

Ryan looked good last night.  Her flesh was skin color and I saw some freckles.  

So they are not eliminating anyone as they go along.  We see who wins next week.  Everyone had impressive offerings.  They haven't made it clear what their criteria is at all.  That would be good to know so we would have an inkling as to why the top 3 were chosen.  I know who they are so no surprises for me other than the why.   

Edited by wings707

Grey Ant - I have tried these on and my reaction was the same as DVF.  They are very comfortable.  Extremely well made.  Big lenses that actually clear my Anna Wintour cheeks.  Plus they have a really hip edgy look.  They do look different than most and that is hard to do in the eyewear business.

What is the purse lady doing in this group?

Still don't get the jewelry as high design but what do I know?

I do like the hat lady and Wes.  Orly not so much but not because they don't have style.  It's just not my style.

I do get Ryan.  She really nailed that challenge.  I was impressed.

After the Maybelline challenge I still feel almost the same no clear winner to me, but I am not a fashion expert.

Ryan and her ridiculously fresh faced children look like they belong in a J Crew ad or something. That being said I just don't kivery her clothes, not a sweater or pink fan, maybe if she showed more variety.

Same with the Eva jewelry woman, she seems fun and fiesty but I just do not see any groundbreaking in her designs. Same with Edie that fish sxale purse was judt kind of meh to me. Not a hat person I was impressed with the quality and amount of work she did.

Not the most practical or cost effective but I did love the boots Paul Andrew made. They definitely made a statement. Even though I couldn't afford even the heel on one of those boots.

Yes, what is that accent of Ryan's?

I think I would've appreciated the Maybelline challenge more if they'd shown us a few up close shots of the details on all of these projects. Particularly the jewelry and accessories.

Brett's fish scale bag was underwhelming.  It seemed like too many ideas fighting each other. The lumpy blue ends were just bulky and odd.

Tanya's Hawaiian ensemble was very predictable, and when one of the judges said the fabric was "crunchy" I knew she was sunk.  The little bag was  better than Brett's bag though.

The judges seemed to like Gigi. The hat was good. The hat box was good. I wasn't wowed by them, but they were good. I didn't like the feathered headband, and I don't want to think about the poor dead gators.

Eva's mask was an interesting idea. They didn't give us a good look at the jewelry, so I have nothing say about that.

Ryan's embellished pink fluffy sweater didn't strike me as any different from all of her other pink fluffy sweaters with stuff hanging off of them. And the cashmere tights - ookaaaaaay. Didn't get what was so great about those either. Diane loved it, though I can't imagine her wearing any of it.

Orley's outfit was nice.

The NYC boots were not my cup of tea. I didn't like the heels at all, and I wonder if going so far overbudget will hurt him. It didn't seem like a good business decision, but I guess he was going all-in to try to win this thing.

I'm sick to death of Simon Miller's "indigo-dyed" this and that. It's all blue. I like blue. But when everything you make is the exact same shade of blue, it's a real snore. I liked the top they wound up using. They were very lucky Anna put the kibosh on the chain mail.

I don't remember anyone else. Oh, except for Wes. Pretty dress, very South Beach, and the ombre was lovely. But the fit on the bodice was so loose, I kept waiting for the model to expose herself.

Edited by sleepyjean

Was anyone else wondering what the heck was going on with Ryan's model for the design challenge? She was all slouchy and pissy like she didn't want to be there. Maybe it was intentional but all I could think was "It's two minutes of your life in front of important fashion insiders, suck it up girl!"

Tanya's model was kind of unpleasant too. Didn't like the skirt, didn't like the bag. Honey,its not about you. I like Tanya and I love her clothes. I would have rocked the shit out of her outfit back in the day, its just the kind of thing I liked as a young woman. Colorful, twirly skirt, cute top, feminine. I know she's getting swept aside,but I really like her stuff. I love Ryan too, she definitely has a niche. Wes's dress was really pretty. I don't get the indigo guys or handbag girl. I agree Eva seems like a cool girl and I'd like to hang out with her. 

I dunno, call me an old fogy or out of touch but those $10,000 hooker boots left me utterly cold. So literal. The Manhattan skyline? Really? A twelve year old girl did a dress like that on Threads a week or two ago.

• Love 2

Paul Andrew?! I did not see that coming. I thought Orley had it in the bag. I was happy for Ryan and Eva since I liked them from the first episode.

Now if I could just win some money to afford a nice hand-knit indigo sweater and some cool jewelry.

• Love 1

Well, that was surprising. I wanted Eva to win, but at least she got 3rd. I'm really surprised that Ryan Roche got runner up, I wasn't feeling all those giant sweaters. When they announced Paul Andrew won, I literally could not remember a single thing of his & had to look him up. Considering he was the only shoe designer (which I didn't even remember) you would think he would stand out enough for me to remember him. 

I wonder if the winners are chosen by an off-screen analysis of what the market needs, so that the decision is really based on business and money, rather than "best design."

I didn't see where any of the contestants were stand-outs, so I was happy with the top three.

Were they encouraging Ben to return a third time, or is he meant to understand that he had his shot and he should move on?

The only collections I didn't like were the acrylic purse line and Orley, which I've felt I've seen so many times. And I can understand why they felt the print-dress collection was "too commercial."

Edited by pasdetrois

I didn't see the Paul Andrew win coming either.  The judges didn't really seem to warm to him, his presentation didn't go that well, and his ad wasn't good.  The only thing that would've surprised me more is if they'd given it to Simon Miller or Edie Parker. But congrats to him! I guess investing $30K in those boots really paid off. And now he can stop working for everyone else.

I was glad for Eva. I wonder why she didn't win, since all the judges seemed to like her, she did well in every phase of the competition, and could certainly benefit greatly from winning. I don't get why Paul over Eva.  But in any case, I really liked her personality, and once I got a good look at her jewelry, (thanks to whoever posted the link upthread) I had much more appreciation for that as well. I loved that "We can have fun, but you better show up on time to have fun with me!"

I was both surprised and not surprised by the decision on Ryan. Not surprised because the judges have loved her from the get-go, although it always seemed like it was something they liked about her as a person, as opposed to the sweaters. But also surprised because of what she makes. The sweaters seem very snuggly and soft, but they are shapeless and bulky.  I certainly don't envision her as one of the next big things in American fashion, which I thought was sort of the point of the competition, isn't it? I can't picture any of the female judges ever wearing a Ryan Roche sweater.  But clearly Ryan could benefit the most from the money and the advice, so maybe that's why they gave it to her.

I also want to know what's up with the babies at the fashion show. Does Ryan make baby clothes as part of her collection? And if so, why would she send them over to Vogue for the show? Or did Vogue have the idea about using kids and then ask her to send baby clothes? And where did they rent those babies? (Then again, it is LA and there's no better place to find beautiful, camera-ready infants happy to be carried around by total strangers, in front of hundreds of other strangers, cameras, and commotion without batting an eye, spitting up, or screaming for mommy.)

Speaking of the LA event. That seemed a bit unfair to me. A fashion show shows off clothes to their best advantage, but accessories need to be seen up close and for more than a few seconds as a model walks by. It wasn't so bad for Gigi and Grey Ant, but seemed a disadvantage for the other accessories designers. The models were all carrying Brett's clutches down by their sides, so probably half the people couldn't even see them.  Eva's jewelry is so delicate you blink and miss it. And some of Paul's models were wearing long dresses that obscured the shoes.  I think those three could've benefited from a different type of presentation. Minimally, all of their models should've been wearing some sort of "uniform" that allowed the bags/hats/shoes to be the star. I don't understand why they did that for  Grey Ant, but not the others.

In any case, I do like this show, and if they have it again next year, I'll definitely watch it again. It will be interesting to see if Orley ever comes back. Although I don't really understand the point of choosing a menswear designer as a finalist and at the end telling them they should be doing women's wear instead.

Fascinating and they better show me this again next year.  Since Project Runway jumped the shark I just don't have enough of this.

I'm not surprised the shoe guy won.  We need some change in fashion for shoes.  I really am tired of the stiletto look.  I thought the discussion of him designing for 5 other brands to 'pay the rent' was really interesting.  I wonder sometimes how they manage groceries when they are just starting out.

Again I like Ryan's aesthetic.  I would like to see a wider range and there is no way I'll ever own one of her pieces unless it goes to factory made.  Even then I'll be looking at the third mark down or Gilt.  

I will be watching Wes Gordon.  I just think he can make the long haul.  

The LA event was nice in that Vogue styled it.  Suddenly items made more sense in a wardrobe.  I would love to know what happened to the Indigo pieces.  Rag & Bone laughing about the babies and suggesting perhaps a designer could use puppies in order to compete.  I did think that was the point that this years top ten really out shown last years.  The  whole show looked so good.  And like the panel it was when the plastic purses finally seemed like design.

I am leaving Fashion Fund on the tivo wish list so that next year I'll won't miss a thing.

• Love 1

Speaking of the LA event. That seemed a bit unfair to me. A fashion show shows off clothes to their best advantage, but accessories need to be seen up close and for more than a few seconds as a model walks by. It wasn't so bad for Gigi and Grey Ant, but seemed a disadvantage for the other accessories designers. The models were all carrying Brett's clutches down by their sides, so probably half the people couldn't even see them.  Eva's jewelry is so delicate you blink and miss it. And some of Paul's models were wearing long dresses that obscured the shoes.  I think those three could've benefited from a different type of presentation. Minimally, all of their models should've been wearing some sort of "uniform" that allowed the bags/hats/shoes to be the star. I don't understand why they did that for  Grey Ant, but not the others.

But Paul still won (even over Ryan & her babies) so they must have some way of making sure the accessories get seen. Or maybe it's just that the people there are all experienced at going to fashion shows & know what to look for.

I'm not thinking about how the fashion show influences the outcome of the competition. I thinking of all of the stylists, celebs, and potential customers in the audience. Particularly in the case of Brett's clutches. All of the models were carrying her clutches low on one side of their bodies, which means probably half of the people didn't see them. If I'm not going to win the fashion fund, I at least want as many people to see them as possible at events like that.  But perhaps they've thought of that and are doing something else about it, like handing out little program books or something...