Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Where Are They Now?

In this episode of Hoarders we check in with five hoarders from past seasons: Al lost custody of his son due to his hoarding, Jill is a food hoarder who feels that expiration dates are arbitrary, Dale is at risk of being evicted from the Boston loft apartment where he's lived for 30 y ears, Claire and Vance filled every room of their home with hundreds of thousands of books, and Verna was forced to sleep in her attic because her home was so hoarded.

Preview

The book people were seriously alarming. And seriously, I love books too, but they had nothing but junk. Outdated almanacs and Java programming? Please. The husband's "cozy" bedroom was terrifying! that is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I felt bad for Dale. He knows its getting out of control and can't seem to help himself. Boston doesn't have rent control but I think he lives in subsidized housing for artists.

Jill cracks me up, no lie. I think I'd like to hang out with her.

• Love 4

Crap I forgot to DVR!

You can watch it free on the Hoarders site.

I have a soft spot for Jill. She was my first hoarder and I was blown away by her mess, but I've always liked her humor and her good nature. When she said she was an intelligent person who didn't need to be a slave to some arbitrary date, I realized I'm not a slave to them either. Just because the sell-by-date on milk or bread is not up for several days doesn't mean it's what I would call fresh. If I don't have about ten days before sell-by on those things I usually don't buy it.

Still, Jill and Alan have both made great improvements. I'm so glad Frankie's back with his father and I can't believe Alan's mean brother didn't even say, "Welcome back," to Frankie just because they didn't call first.

• Love 1

You can watch it free on the Hoarders site.

I have a soft spot for Jill. She was my first hoarder and I was blown away by her mess, but I've always liked her humor and her good nature. When she said she was an intelligent person who didn't need to be a slave to some arbitrary date, I realized I'm not a slave to them either. Just because the sell-by-date on milk or bread is not up for several days doesn't mean it's what I would call fresh. If I don't have about ten days before sell-by on those things I usually don't buy it.

Still, Jill and Alan have both made great improvements. I'm so glad Frankie's back with his father and I can't believe Alan's mean brother didn't even say, "Welcome back," to Frankie just because they didn't call first.

I think that it's not an absolute that you have to toss food when it hits the sell by / use by / etc. dates. I will also ignore them if I feel the food is still edible. HOWEVER! When you are years past a date, then I think it's a bit of a problem :-)

i actually faced that this past weekend. I buy powdered peanut butter (you add water to it). I realized the jar I had was a a year out of date (I think, it might have been longer). I smelled it and it was ok; however, after I re-hydrated it I tasted it and it was a bit bitter...so into the trash it went, and I pulled out the new jar. What a difference! I hadn't been really sure, but when I tasted the fresh one I could really tell that the previous jar had gone bad.

I worked at a food bank for a while and they had strict guidelines on how far past dates we could use the food. For basic canned and boxed foods it was I think 6 months past the date. For things like mayo it was a little stricter.

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 1

OMG the crazy book people and the Puffy Lady! The book people are doomed, place is going to go up in flames and the firemen wont be able to get them out. Or else he has a heart attack and they can't get to him.

According to them, EMTs have superpowers and can leap over piles of books in a single bound!

• Love 1

I do not know why, but I watered up when that inspector person Paul (Alan's story) talked about his prostate cancer, and then how he helped Alan all along and helped get him to where he is now, and then to find out he died. I don't know why, but that made me really sad.

• Love 9

I know Mojeaux. "Hoarders," has shown us some truly awful people, but it has also given us some of the sweetest random people, like the infinitely patient Housing Inspectors, the Canadian policeman, all the neighbors, relatives and friends who come and help these people without actually vomiting, or, what I would do, "accidentally" knocking over something flammable and dropping a match. Bless'em all.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was shocked that Al cleaned up and got Frankie back; good for them both! Frankie seemed happy and is where he needs to be (assuming a safe environment, of course).

Paul's condition and death saddened me, too. :(

On a lighter note, add me to the "Pleased To See Jill" Club. She's one of the more benign hoarders. (It's amazing what desensitization can do, lol.)

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 4