Type keyword(s) to search

DJ Fuller née Tanner: Oh Mylanta! (Candace Cameron Bure)

I just want DJ's denim dress in the fourth episode . Online Id's are proving to be way off. I think as the show goes on, the wardrobe improves. I like DJ's clothes best-even though I have Stephanie's Seaworthy necklace from Swank Atlanta and a lot of her kimono tops.

Edited by LVmom

Is it just my imagination, or has Candace developed a bit of a Sarah Palin-like "accent"/tone to her voice?

This observation isn't about politics,although if someone can draw a legit link to that, by all means... I really hear it.

Candace was born and raised in California, so I don't get it. Not that Palin really sounds "Alaskan" to me... she's always sounded more Midwest. But so does CCB now.

(Palin was born in Idaho, apparently, so maybe that's why I hear it in her--although I suppose Idaho is technically the West and not the Midwest)

I will say that "doncha know" tone does take me out of the character a bit, even if Candace IS actually a California girl with that way of speaking. I mean the other ladies (one of them her supposed sister) don't speak like that. Her father doesn't. Her "Uncles" don't.  Doncha know... (not that she's literally said that but just listen to her vowels on words like "father", for example).

Is it just me?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I hear it too! It's almost Alaskan/Canadian sounding.

Is that really so? As I said I think people think that's why Sarah Palin sounds like that, but I think it's because she's from Idaho (which admittedly isn't the Midwest but I think sounds like that anyway). 

Of course that doesn't explain CCB. It doesn't really sound Canadian to me either (which is less "doncha know" and more "hoot" and "aboot"--although I'm aware those are only the most stereotypical examples of the Canadian speech pattern). 

Is that really so? As I said I think people think that's why Sarah Palin sounds like that, but I think it's because she's from Idaho (which admittedly isn't the Midwest but I think sounds like that anyway). Of course that doesn't explain CCB. It doesn't really sound Canadian to me either (which is less "doncha know" and more "hoot" and "aboot"--although I'm aware those are only the most stereotypical examples of the Canadian speech pattern).

As a Canadian, I'd say the stereotypical accent is closer to "aboat" than "aboot." And yeah, I agree it doesn't sound "Canadian."

• Love 1

I'd ask where Candace's own parents are from (perhaps THEY'RE from the Midwest and it stuck to her more than California--which I DO know from her bio she lived in from birth), except... my memory of Full House era Candace doesn't include her having this speech pattern. The one exception might be the "Mylanta" thing, which I can totally hear in a pseudo-Sarah-Palin-like voice.

I don't hear any Midwestern accent?

I don't think so far we've concluded it IS one.... just that it sort of sounds LIKE one.  I mean undeniably (because it's public record) she was born in California, and we know she was raised there (on TV largely). But even if you don't agree and think it sounds Midwestern (or like Sarah Palin, whatever "from Idaho" is defined as), it IS distinctly different from the other characters around her (who are supposed to either be related, or have gone to the same schools as DJ). It's just my own (unproven) impression that she didn't sound like this in the Full House episodes as a kid... so really that's two different things (why does she sound like she does, and has it actually changed from when she was a kid?)

My wife and I really enjoy Candace on this show and especially on her many Hallmark movies. It is just a pleasure to watch a show where you don't have to worry about gratuitous violence and degradation. I mean if you watch "Sons of Anarchy" or "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" you expect violence and sleaze. But when even an innocuous fun show like Hawaii Five O has to have bloody mangled corpses in every episode where twenty guys get beat downs and fifty are shot dead you appreciate a show and an actress who is known for having wholesome and uplifting content in her work.

I do think it is a shame that her faith and her values lead to the level of hate you see on the threads on the "View." I hope that does not follow her here. It is a an oasis for those of us who miss our old fashioned sitcoms. 

Edited by Trooper York
  • Love 3

I can't apologize for disliking someone who thinks I'm not entitled to the same rights as everyone else. It's not about unfairly hating on someone who's ~wholesome; when my (Christian) bff and I hang out, we're so square that we wouldn't be out of place at a country hoedown. The difference between my friend and Candace is that my friend doesn't believe in imposing Christian beliefs upon non-Christians. CCB isn't as crazy outspoken about everything as her brother is, and she at least doesn't seem to have self-righteous moral freak-outs about kissing other people for roles, which is why I can watch this show without feeling the automatic urge to throw something at the screen, which is more than I can say for anything with Kirk... but she's had her moments.

I feel like it's an acting style, maybe one she has developed in the years since FH. Kind of a "golly gee willikers" affectation.

Yeah, this seems like the case for me, too. But I don't know, I've done my best to not listen to Sarah Palin over the years so I might be missing something. 

To say something nice about her, she still looks amazing. I mean, 39 is hardly old and decrepit, but still. Guess I'm used to child stars turning out rough! 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 6

I am all for a mix of wholesome family shows and down and dirty violent and sexually provocative shows. There is enough room on tv (especially now) for them both. I do take issue when people (on both sides of the isle) impose their belief system on others. Kirk is more known for it then Candace is but they are both pretty out their with their belief. I was actually surprised by the Trump joke but then the fundies don't like Trump do they?

• Love 2

It seems to me that most of the push back comes one way these days. Not much of an outcry about the murders and degradation that is at the base of almost every tv shoes these days. Not to mention the violation of civil rights of suspects on shows like ChicagoPD or Hawaii Five O. When a show has wholesome traditional values it stands out like a sore thumb. Not that you can find it on regular TV. You had to get this show on Netflicks.

I guess I am just nostalgic for the silly sitcoms of my youth. I Dream of Jeanie. Bewitched. The Munsters. Mr. Ed. Jeeeze I am old.

If people want to enjoy the type of entertainment that Kirk or Candace produce then it shouldn't irritate other people so much. It is pretty puzzling to me.

Edited by Trooper York
  • Love 3

I don't like Kirk because I don't think he's a decent person with a good heart.

I like Candace in spite of some of her beliefs because I think she is a decent person with a good heart and while she is a religious person, she doesn't shove it down everyone's throats. When asked, she states an opinion and she's low-key about it.

I'm still trying to figure out how so many people think she's on the same level as her hateful brother and I've come to the conclusion that it's only the knowledge that she's conservative and sometimes talks about it (with no truly hateful language) that has people clutching pearls and labeling her a bigot (probably one of the most overused and misused words in the English language these days).

I don't agree with a lot of what Candace believes, but I like her and I've always liked her.

• Love 8

I agree with you, katie9918. I look at her relationships with her cast mates, and she seems to care about them all very much and takes them just as they are, even though I doubt most of them share her conservative leanings. And they seem to care about her and enjoy being with her, so I think that says a lot. Plus she likes to drink wine (she even owns a winery), so there's that.

She reminds me a bit of my sister, who's a conservative evangelical (I'm the family gay). While we disagree on so many points, she's also a compassionate and loving person, and we've learned to not define our relationship based solely on our differences.

• Love 7

Agreed. Kirk didn't invite any of his cast mates to his wedding but Candace sees her cast mates regularly, even druggie Jodie and Raunchy Bob. I hate that people look at her loony brother and lump her with him. There's being a Christian (Candace) and there's being vigilante and over bearing (Kirk). I think that without Kirk people would view her as being a conservative Christian and that would be the end of it. But as it stands, she can't even speak about her faith without people saying she's overzealous like Kirk. I feel like that's a bit unfair. I get that they're siblings but I'd hate to be judged because of my brother.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I think Candace > Kirk for reasons that other people have already said. But IMO it's disingenuous to act as though people are only judging her based on her brother, and that if it weren't for him, no one would care. Even if it weren't for Kirk, people would still be judging Candace because of all the stuff she's said about submission and wedding cakes. It doesn't matter that she says it nicely, the fact that she doesn't think (Christian) businesses should be held to public accommodation laws when it comes to sexual orientation is a black mark against her in my book, even if she isn't wailing and gnashing her teeth about it the way her bro is. I am close friends with people who might not necessarily "agree" with homosexuality, but they support equal rights regardless. 

And complementarian theology is toxic. I will always give shit to someone who espouses it. Candace isn't being unfairly singled out here, at least not by me. I'll throw Candace a bone though: she's much less extreme about her complementarianism than are certain leaders in the field (e.g. John Piper). Still, my eye twitches whenever I hear someone talking up a view of "biblical submission" that always equates to the man being in charge because reasons. 

Kirk is a million times worse, and so Candace looks better by comparison, but it's all relative. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

I do think it is a shame that her faith and her values lead to the level of hate you see on the threads on the "View." I hope that does not follow her here. It is a an oasis for those of us who miss our old fashioned sitcoms.

I respect your opinion and your right to it. I don't even disagree with the part that's about liking that some old fashioned family sitcoms exist.

But at the same time I think its a big, and rather unfair, generalization on your part attributing the criticism and bad feelings about Candice Cameron Bure simply to unfair sniping at her faith. It's about how she expresses her faith that's at issue, and I think even the most critical of us have said she's not exactly her brother (and frankly you haven't even stated your opinion of Kirk, so I won't even guess about it). 

If people want to enjoy the type of entertainment that Kirk or Candace produce then it shouldn't irritate other people so much. It is pretty puzzling to me.

Well that's supposing that Candace and Kirk are producing the same kind of entertainment as each other. I don't think that's the case. Candace, to her credit, does inclusive projects, and if she's insisted a few times that her own values be impressed on a character that's not actually her, most of us don't like that, but I think recognize she's at least tried to curb that tendency a bit. Kirk does not produce inclusive material. The things he does are for a specialized audience who believe the same things he does. Again, I'm not even saying that's bad, just that Candice actually has the additional burden of pleasing a wider audience while Kirk--knowing full well that his work is umm... an extension of his ministry... doesn't have to do that. In other words, if you watch a Kirk Cameron project, you should indeed know darn well what you are getting yourself into. But the same is not true of Candice. She has to meet the responsibility of the role, not the other way around, because nobody is going to want to watch a version of Full House (or even a Hallmark Channel movie) that's not inclusive to most (if not all) viewers.

I just wonder, where has the unassuming, girl-next-door DJ of the original run gone?

You can't be a vulnerable teen for all your life, but imo as the season goes on, DJ is bordering the Jerk Sue.

Aside from comedic hijinks that she got into as a child on the show, DJ didn't have much of a personality in Full House. Stephanie was witty, Kimmy was a weirdo, Michelle was the cute baby/toddler, but aside from DJ being an older, wiser sister, she didn't really have a personality of her own. And she still doesn't on this show. Her character is one of the least compelling characters of all time to lead a sitcom, IMO. I also agree that her accent is weird now.

• Love 4

I also agree that her accent is weird now.

Weird I think only in context of who she really is, where she was born and grew up, etc. I mean if she really was born somewhere in the Heartland and got transplanted, as Sarah Palin did, the way she speaks would make sense. But as far as I can tell... that's not CCB's life story. Also, as I said, it's just NOT how she spoke as a kid. I even today YouTubed some OG Full House scenes to double-check my memory of her kiddie voice. Guess what she sounds like in them? A straight up Cali-Girl. Not quite Valley Girl (that's the overdone cliche version) but like most of the people in my life I've met from the middle class white LA suburbs. 

Or judge for yourself:

(the audio is out of sync on that... sorry... but the levels are good even if it's annoying to not see the lips move properly)

Going by the sheer amount of online criticism she was receiving, I expected a lot worse in terms of Jebus, kissing, drinking etc, but her character is totally normal, and Candace seems to have maintained decades long relationships with her co-workers, even fake tits Methanie.

Edited by Kokapetl

Aside from comedic hijinks that she got into as a child on the show, DJ didn't have much of a personality in Full House. Stephanie was witty, Kimmy was a weirdo, Michelle was the cute baby/toddler, but aside from DJ being an older, wiser sister, she didn't really have a personality of her own. And she still doesn't on this show. Her character is one of the least compelling characters of all time to lead a sitcom, IMO. I also agree that her accent is weird now.

I guess my (possible) UO is that I really liked DJ during Full House? Michelle was my favorite when the show initially aired because I was a little kid who wanted to get away with half the shit that Rosemary's Baby did - I have since learned the error of my ways - but when I got older I ended up liking DJ. But maybe that's just because I ended up being a boring straight arrow.

...DJ was probably wilder than I was, actually, because I never dated anyone named Viper. Yes, I'm aware of how sad this is. :-|

• Love 2

I guess my (possible) UO is that I really liked DJ during Full House? Michelle was my favorite when the show initially aired because I was a little kid who wanted to get away with half the shit that Rosemary's Baby did - I have since learned the error of my ways - but when I got older I ended up liking DJ. But maybe that's just because I ended up being a boring straight arrow.

...DJ was probably wilder than I was, actually, because I never dated anyone named Viper. Yes, I'm aware of how sad this is. :-|

DJ during the original series came as the the good girl who dealt with normal problems growing up. I related to the character because I was the same way. I didn't want to drink, I had a horrible time adjusting to middle school and puberty, but was easier in high school and I had the crazy best friend on the side. I'm not surprised she is the way she is now on the current series. She has a good career and a family, but she has fallen into the same shoes that plagued her father. She is a widower at a young age, left to raise three kids on her own with her sister and BFF. She is trying not to repeat the same mistakes of her father, but has fallen into the same role. Trying to sugar coat things, feeling she can do everything, but then realizes she can't. If anyone, she has become just like Danny and Steph and Kimmy and the rest of the family want her to move on in her life and she has problems doing it. She is throw caution to the wind like Kimmy and she isn't loose like Sephainie. It s a perfect mirror of the original series. As Kimmy has taken on Joey's role, but more crazy and a single parent herself. Steph has become Uncle Jesse, but with more personal problems and DJ is Danny minus the over cleaning OCD and that she became a widow much later in life than her father. 

• Love 2

I get it; DJ is the Lauren Conrad of the sitcom world. My only real point is that I don't think her personality has changed in the reboot, only that she's still boring (to me) lol.

Remember when Madonna moved to England and had a terrible British accent for a while? Maybe that's what happened to CCB. Maybe her accent is her neurolingual interpretation of her husband's accent.

Edited by Silo

I don't think DJ is boring perse more like a home body who needs her more adventurous friends to convince her to let lose a little. A boring person just wouldn't let lose the way she does on occasion or have a friend like Kimmy. Trust me I know boring people and they are boring for a reason. Kimmy and Stephanie may need to push DJ into having a little fun but the fact that she does says there is hope for her.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

What's up with her voice?  Did the Bulimia do permanent damage to her vocal cords? 

Wait, CCB had bulimia? I thought her very special episode where DJ gets anorexia for about 15 minutes taught Candace that she should never have an eating disorder.

I feel bad for CCB...she's called to task for being too religious and also called to task for not being religious enough (even being told by some for not being enough like her brother)

I like that she's playing DJ and not herself..it shows she's not making the producers adjust the show to her whims..unlike her brother did with growing pains.

http://www.chicagonow.com/confessions-coffeeholic/2016/03/candace-cameron-bure-cant-seem-to-win/

• Love 3

I feel bad for CCB...she's called to task for being too religious and also called to task for not being religious enough (even being told by some for not being enough like her brother)

The people calling her to task for not being religious enough aren't here, from what I've seen. Really if you think about it, these are the same folks who probably disapprove of her having ever been on Full House in the first place. Nothing was going to make them happy, short of her transforming DJ totally into the real Candace Cameron with a different name (and probably deep regret for every boy the character kissed who wasn't her husband, a constant wagging finger at not only the character of Stephanie, but the real Jodie Sweetin--who gasp! Took drugs! Oh, Mylanta!), etc.

I sometimes question if a certain percentage of Candace's public positions are to keep her brother from disowning her.

• Love 1

The cadence of her voice IS really weird, it's very high-pitched and "actor-ly". Weird choice.

I have to give her props for giving her all to her multiple kissing scenes in the series, considering her reputation. She quite literally jumps into it.

• Love 2

Does anyone follow her on Instagram? Her feed makes me feel the need to up the intensity of my workouts. Holy cow, CCB!

Well there's a picture of a book there that moans about how hard it is to be a societally oppressed Christian in today's society (it says this crap right on the cover, pretty much). Ugh.
  • Love 1

Only putting this here for nowhere else to put it.  I was watching Full House on Nick - the episode where neighbor girl gets drunk - anyways she had to be about 16 or so and was not wearing a bra.  I am not a prude but being Italian we girls were trained to wear bras especially at the "tiny breasts" stage.  Very hard to watch.  I kept yelling at the tv at each clothing change, "Put a bra on for God's sake".  Right now I am in my house without a bra but am alone and without cameras.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, Atlanta said:

Does anyone follow her on Instagram? Her feed makes me feel the need to up the intensity of my workouts. Holy cow, CCB!

Yeah she has aged really well. She looks better now than she did back then!

Her body is very good (especially for her age and after kids) - it's very impressive

(edited)
On 6/15/2016 at 2:35 PM, tobeyoungagain said:

Yeah she has aged really well. She looks better now than she did back then!

Her body is very good (especially for her age and after kids) - it's very impressive

She popped out her kids young, lived a pretty clean-cut life, and takes care of herself. It's like that episode of the Simpsons when Mr. Flanders admits he's like in his 60's but he still passes for 40-something.

Am I the only one just not getting the criticism that DJ doesn't feel like DJ? DJ never had THAT defined of a personality- her job always seemed to be that of the "straight man", and I don't really find the way that CCB is playing her all that off. She's a middle-aged mother, and the last time we saw DJ, she was a senior in high school. The chirpy sweet stuff that she does is no doubt influenced by CCB, but I don't find that unbelievable that DJ would have developed that way into adulthood, especially given that she became a vet and therefore has to maintain a pretty chipper facade to make her patients and the humans that love them comfortable.

I mean, if DJ had been like Angela Chase, I would have objected to this, but she wasn't. She had her angsty moments, but she was basically the everyday teenage girl of the late 1980's to mid-1990's with no real quirks or defining characteristics about her other than having to be the responsible older sibling.

I also had a flashback when I was watching the pilot to where DJ was snapping about everyone asking her if she was fine, right back to the anorexia for 3 days episode.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm not sure how to put this delicately...but...did CCB get a subtle boob job? I'm watching the season 4 premiere and she looks bustier than I remember her looking in season 1. Maybe it's just a good padded bra.

I noticed that, too. I'm thinking it's a padded bra. She's so careful about what she puts in/does to her body, that I'd be shocked if she got implants. 

2 hours ago, Aileen said:

I noticed that, too. I'm thinking it's a padded bra. She's so careful about what she puts in/does to her body, that I'd be shocked if she got implants. 

Maybe she did fat grafting?

But yeah, it's probably just a really good Miracle Bra.

I mean, if it is work, it's very tastefully done.

Edited by methodwriter85

It's still so hard for me to picture her as DJ Tanner. Her mannerisms and look is so different from the original.. I know many years have passed, but Stephanie and Kimmy still remind me of their original characters whereas DJ seems like a different person.

• Love 3

Well, other than the Christian thing, CCB got really molded by the Hallmark movies she did. It's kind of interesting to see her evolution- she was doing Lifetime movies right after or during her DJ years that had racy plots. In one, she's a teen girl who gets murdered by Fred Savage her jealous abusive boyfriend. In another, she gets raped by Zach Morris. In one, she's a kidnapped by aliens who use her eggs to create human hybrids. And she does another movie where she has a post-coital scene with a guy who convinces her to impersonate a murdered girl that she happens to look exactly alike. CCB looks and acts pretty much like her old self in these movies.

Then she basically takes a break as she gets into her marriage and having kids. She doesn't really do much until she gets into her first Hallmark movie in 2008, Mooonlight and Mistletoe. By this point her kids are getting old so she feels a little less bound to be a stay-at-home wife/mother and her Hallmark movie career starts slowly but then really picks up by about 2012-2013. She 's also appearing on Make It or Break It as a dedicated Christian who had once sinned.

Now she's basically the Queen of Hallmark and her brand is about bright, sunny Stepford wife optimism. She generally plays DJ like that now even though that wasn't really who DJ was on the show. But given that we last saw DJ at 17, it doesn't bother me as much.

• Love 1

I can buy that teen DJ of Full House wasn't exactly Stepford Wife-in-the-making, but let's be real, she wasn't exactly Darlene Conner either. I can totally believe that the high-achieving goody-two-shoes DJ we got on Full House evolved into the DJ we see on Fuller House now.

• Love 3

I can forgive DJ’s personality shift.  When tv shows (especially sitcoms) go for a long time, writers for some reason start making the characters more like the actors that portray them. That’s why all of the teens on Boy Meets World had sudden character shifts and a former head writer at Days of Our Lives didn’t ever want to meet the actors because they might influence how the characters were in his head.

Full House ended before the girls (their characters and actors) had a chance to really come into their own. Now that Fuller House is a thing, I can see the writers knowing them well enough to let their actual personalities influence their characters a bit. There’s definitely a lot more Candace in DJ Tanner and a whole lot of Jodie in Stephanie.