Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Sins Of The Father

Crane cooking Abbie what looked like a delicious Italian dinner, with wine, and flowers and Italian music to boot, makes it pretty obvious that he is in love with her. Friends love and care, and try to help when one is going through a rough time but cooking a romantic dinner to sooth one's troubles speaks more than friends to me.

I felt bad for him though when she ditched to him and their plans to go to the movies with Jenny and Joe, to go to the gun range.

There was way too much focus on supporting characters or characters that should be the C and D story. I didn't see the purpose of Sophie here at all. She didn't need to partner with Joe to go after Whatshisface (I can never remember his name) and she certainly didn't need be at the archives when Abbie brought in Nevins.

That said, the situation with Abbie and the senator has me intrigued. I fear for Abbie and what may be going on with her. Is she brainwashed or possessed in someway? The visions she kept having of the symbol burning, thinking it was beautiful, then being obsessed with it is strange. Also in one of her visions there appeared to be an evil eye that flashed as she came to the surface in the lake after escaping the Catacombs. Is she secretly worshipping the Hidden One? I need to watch that scene again. I can see why she's not telling Crane everything she's feeling and seeing. This goes beyond her having a horrible experience and trying to recover from it. Something has changed within her to the point that she fears no one will understand. On top of that there's a part of her that believes going insane and dying alone is her destined fate anyway. :(

Other things that intrigued, Daniel's senator contact being in cahoots with Nevins and having a bigger game, likely in hopes of world domination. Lol. Isn't that always how these things go?

Abbie and Jenny's dad is a piece a sh*t. And that's all I have to say about him.

This show is definitely going in a direction I completely didn't expect. I think if Abbie and Crane are moving towards a deeper relationship Daniel is going to be the least of their problems. It's going to be the change Abbie experienced in the Catacombs that will be their biggest obstacle.

This was an okay episode. Not nearly as good as the last two.

• Love 4

Seriously, either they are really setting up the show to go there with an Abbie/Ichabod pairing or they are trolling the shippers hard.  Either way, Tom Mison is totally playing Ichabod as someone who is in love with Abbie.  That meal, the candles, etc.   That goes beyond mere caring.  That is grade 'A' wooing right there.

I felt bad because Abbie shut him down, but that last scene of her praying to her symbol displays that Abbie is not quite right.  I like the curveball they threw with Abbie in this episode.  Sure we knew she was having some issues, but this goes beyond that and I am really intrigued.  Would have never guessed they were going there.

I am sure Abbie's dad is a nice person and all but he bailed.  And his two kids were in left in foster care and, at least in Jenny's case, we know she lived with some some pretty shitty "care"givers.  Dude you abandoned your wife and kids.  Abbie's response of 'I have people' when he offered to help felt right.

I am actually liking Sophie's inclusion in the group.  They aren't over-selling her.  I especially liked her 'I have your back' to Abbie when Abbie was doing her symbol hallucination during Daniel's meeting.

Everybody knows Abbie isn't 100% -- now Imma need them really clue in and figure out she's all wrong.

Again a sweet 'at home' moment between Abbie and Ichabod to (almost) close the show.  I loved her 'That is the Charlie Brown of sandwiches' comment.  LOL.

The last two episodes felt the closest to the S1 vibe since Tempus Fugit from last season.  This one didn't quite get there but it has raised some serious issues now and I am really anxious to see where this all goes.

• Love 9

My heart is breaking for Abbie. Her asking her dad about how her mother began her decline was so sad. I hadn't even thought about the situation with her mom, but of course that would be Abbie's concern when she started seeing things. I liked that call back.

I continue to like how they're using Sophie. I liked her exchange with Crane over the body of the monster. First her, "How you doin'?" Then the comment on the ugliness of the creature and Crane giving it serious consideration complete with examination of the body before saying it wasn't as ugly as some.

• Love 4

I found it pretty frustrating that we're going with the "Abbie's got a major problem but doesn't tell anyone about it" route. It's one of those things that just drive me crazy in story telling. Characters that are close should talk about major things. They should not cut themselves off because of a fear that the other person won't understand.

It's not that I don't think people do this. They do. It's just that inevitably, on tv, when the truth comes out, the support is right there. Those fears always turn out to be unfounded in television shows. Even my own actual life, it usually turns out to be way more beneficial to just say what the problem is. It doesn't always work out perfectly, but it sure does keep the lines of communication open and avoid the feeling of betrayal that comes from a close friend or family member not trusting their loved ones enough to let them in.

Yes, yes, Abbie's closed off and tries to stay in control, and was isolated for 10 months. If anyone has a good reason for being shell-shocked and having PTSD, it's her. But she said herself that Crane would understand. And then she didn't tell him.

I don't know. It's probably just me, but I really hate stories that could be easily resolved, if one character would just open their damned mouth. "Hey, man... got a problem here... haunted and obsessed with this symbol. Wow! Just thought of something! You know a lot about symbols! What do you suppose this one means?" Boom... problem on its way to being investigated and she discovers she's not going to die crazy and alone.

Of course, weighing heavily on my frustration with this episode (and so far, I've loved season 3!) is the fear that the few episodes that remain are all we're going to get. So I don't want to spend them with easily resolved conflict. I want to see Abbie and Ichabod being open and honest with each other, and I want to see their relationship blossom into its fullness, at a steady rate, so we can enjoy the journey. I want to see their middle! (Yeah, Gilmores. :-) ) I don't want a drawn out pulling away and stupid obstacles. Let the obstacles be real, life threatening forces, sure. But not just one of them choosing to shut out the other one.

Sigh. I hope this not-speaking-about-it thing is done (as in finished) in the next episode.

And damn, girl... you could have taken a few minutes to at least eat the food he fixed. Pick up the plate and eat in the kitchen if you aren't ready for the romantic ambiance... but eat the damned food! grr.

Edited because I can't leave typos alone. Gah. OCD. :-P

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
  • Love 14

Ichabod cooking a romantic dinner with wine and flowers.  I. am. dead.  Seriously intrigued by whatever is going on with Abbie.  Glad Nevins finally got the business end of someone's gun.  I'm guessing Danny doesn't know his boss is shady?

• Love 7

I found it pretty frustrating that we're going with the "Abbie's got a major problem but doesn't tell anyone about it" route. It's one of those things that just drive me crazy in story telling. Characters that are close should talk about major things. They should not cut themselves off because of a fear that the other person won't understand.

Same, I hate that trope too.

• Love 4

Seriously the man goes out of his way to COOK for you and you turn him down to shoot guns.  Abbie, I know your head is not all there given the circumstances but GIIIIIIRL, NO!  (That said with the amount of wine he probably had, I want Ichabod to be drinking buddies with Olivia Pope on Scandal.) 

• Love 5

Seriously the man goes out of his way to COOK for you and you turn him down to shoot guns.  Abbie, I know your head is not all there given the circumstances but GIIIIIIRL, NO!  (That said with the amount of wine he probably had, I want Ichabod to be drinking buddies with Olivia Pope on Scandal.) 

Hell, I want him to be drinking buddies with my sisters and me! :-D  

ETA... Karaoke too... Heh.

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
  • Love 3

Is it possible that Abbie isn't telling Crane what's going on because she's being kept from doing so by whatever is holding her in thrall?  I'm just throwing that out there as a theory.  The worship pose at the end implies to me that Abbie herself is not entirely in control here.

The one thing that bugged me about the episode was the monster who could rip people to shreds with one swipe yet somehow became far less efficient when battling the good guys.  I know that's nothing new in drama--the bad guys are usually much worse shots than the good guys--but it annoys me.  I wish they had come up with fight choreography that made it easier to believe that Crane could avoid being killed by means other than the monster just suddenly being ineffectual.

• Love 13

The one thing that bugged me about the episode was the monster who could rip people to shreds with one swipe yet somehow became far less efficient when battling the good guys.  I know that's nothing new in drama--the bad guys are usually much worse shots than the good guys--but it annoys me.  I wish they had come up with fight choreography that made it easier to believe that Crane could avoid being killed by means other than the monster just suddenly being ineffectual.

I know! I hate when startlingly quick, seriously dangerous monsters (in any show) suddenly stand around all "Me Tarzan"-ing at the heroes. Snarling, roaring, pounding on things... but generally hanging about in one spot while the heroes think about what to do. Really? A table was enough to protect you guys momentarily from this thing, so you could have a quick chat?

Handy. 

Bleh. More like... unbelievable. But whatever, writers. Would it be too much to ask for writers to think a little harder about the practicalities of their monster creations? I mean, yeah... monsters aren't real... but in your created world, they are! So you don't get to just do whatever works for your heroes.

• Love 3

That was one heck of an awesome episode - I finally feel like our show has found its groove.  I found Nevins and that whole plot WAY more interesting than Pandora/HO.  I was truly riveted!  Wow - I wasn't even mad that I figured out it was Nevins who was controlling the monster way before anyone else.

But uh - no way Nevins would have gotten the drop on Jenny.  No way.  I get it that they needed Baby Corbin and Nevins to have a little chat, but so wasn't buying that, lol.  

Intrigued and excited about the FBI guy - that sounds pretty cool.  I'm mad Nevins is dead though - I thought he really brought something great to this show.  And Randall too!  Too great mid level bad guys just gone.  Though I did laugh in horror when Randall died watching a hand stick out through his chest, lol.

Great MOTW - the scene where he ripped the dudes in the trailer to shreds scared me - I was unprepared for that.  But I agree that he got way less efficient against Abbie and Crane - when Nevins left the monster with them and said "sic em" I was honestly fearful for the Witnesses because the monster had been so fearsome before... but eh.  Still way entertained but ... that part left a bit to be desired.

Also - AWWWW to Crane cooking for Abbie and singing like he's an opera tenor, lol.  Too bad he couldn't have sung "Nessun Dorma" - that would have felt more authentic and less cheesy, lol.  Apparently Mison has the pipes to almost sound credible singing.  The Ichabbie dynamic tonight was just off the charts in chemistry... the little looks between them... Abbie's momentary loss of composure... 

I also enjoyed Abbie and Daniel - finally show!

Now for Abbie - LOVE that she's getting this storyline and that Crane is so trying to help her.  I really do believe he's in love with her - it's just going to take something really drastic to drag it out of him - and her being mind-controlled by some supernatural being might do it.  I do wish Abbie would tell him her fears, but I totally understand why she didn't.  She thinks she's losing her mind and that maybe it's hereditary.  Sometimes when you're worried about something like that, you CAN'T tell the people closest to you - the best you can muster is talking sideways about it with someone who really isn't in your life that you no longer fear losing.

This show - wow.  Look at the parallel - Abbie's mother cracked mentally (and actually it was demon stuff that drove her insane) and then her husband LEFT HER.  Now, Abbie is worried that she's cracking and she doesn't tell ... ICHABOD.  I mean - that has Ichabbie #endgame all over it!  She's afraid that if she tells Crane and IF she really is losing it, she'll lose him.  No it's not rational, but when you couple that with her reality and her DAD leaving her MOTHER because she lost it mentally... it makes so much more sense.

So - I think Abbie is moving between worlds a bit.  Sometimes she's "our" Abbie and she's afraid she's losing it mentally, so she clams up and struggles to make straight shots.  Other times she's sitting in a garage worshipping that weird symbol.  What's funny is that I actually fear that symbol more than I fear the HO.

The show has actually managed to create a scary Moloch like figure in that symbol because we don't know WHAT this means.  Really creepy stuff.

Gosh please let this show get another season.  This episode was one of my favorites.  Wow.

• Love 16

I always enjoy a Damian Kindler penned episode. His 'Stargate' and 'Sanctuary' eps were always good.

Pandora really needs to tie up the Hidden One and get her powers back from him. The husband sharing his 'pain' with her makes him a petulant twat. A crumb for her... devotion.

I was impressed by Ichabod's cooking and then his bologna sandwich at the end. I'm seriously impressed if a man cooks for me. Probably better than my cooking!

The creepy Senator maybe needs to pay a visit to the office of the FBI's most unwanted in Washington. Maybe he and CSM could get together and compare notes about their projects. Nevins really should have seen it coming.

I did enjoy the 'are they always this ugly' question from Sophie.

Abbie may very well be shut down because of her experience in that weird time portal place. She may be under the Hidden One's or someone else's influence, or she may just not want Crane involved until she knows more about the weird symbol. Perhaps she needs to investigate her family's history a bit more. Abbie likes to be in control of herself. At this point, maybe she feels that the symbol and any reaction to it are her imagination, her mother's history maybe being hereditary. Her dad also walking out maybe because of her mother's mental health and history. Give her some time to figure it out.

Unless the creature had a use for Abbie and Ichabod and the gang, it most likely wouldn't attack. It would feed off Nevins and probably Corbin's energy.

Do wonder why Corbin kept a file and why Nevins made it so easy to find.

Edited by Frozendiva
  • Love 3

I can't take the FBI director seriously. Every time I see or hear him, I think of Fred from Roseanne. Or Danny from Caddyshack.

Love watching Crane in the kitchen. 

The chest-bursting was a bit more intense than I expected. I expected a cut away or strictly side shot, not full-frontal!

Jenny and Papa Mills struck a bit of a sore spot. I could completely empathize with Jenny. I have a thing or a thousand I'd like to say to my bio-dad about his no-show habits and a whole lot of other subjects, but I can't. I don't know why, I just can't bring myself to actually tell him how much it still hurts.

Either Pandora is going to team up with Abbie against HO or she's just going to put a shiv in his back.

• Love 3

Last week was so good and reminded me so much of season 1 that it gave me hope. I rushed home tonight, eager and excited to watch the show for the first time in a long time. 

It was....fine. I like that Abbie is getting a lot of stuff to do. Ichabod was really sweet. There's competent work being done setting up stuff. It's just not doing it for me though. It doesn't feel like Sleepy Hollow. It feels like The Glades or some other cable cop show where they focus on recurring criminal bad guys and mundane domestic issues, just with supernatural stuff weaved into it. You could remove HO/Pandora and change the scarab into some kind of conventional weapon and the episode would play out in pretty much the same way. And that's not to say that it's bad. It's just not something that I enjoy. I tried watching The Glades. I didn't like that either. 

It bums me out that this is probably how we're going to finish out the series. 

Crane cooking Abbie what looked like a delicious Italian dinner, with wine, and flowers and Italian music to boot, makes it pretty obvious that he is in love with her. Friends love and care, and try to help when one is going through a rough time but cooking a romantic dinner to sooth one's troubles speaks more than friends to me.

This totally broke my heart - Crane just did this amazing romantic, special thing for his "Leftenent" and she totally was like "Nah, I'll go to the gun range.." Sorry, but he just tried to do a beautiful sweet amazing thing for her...the ungratenessfulness bothers me....

• Love 9

She'd got other things on her mind, and it's evident that she's not herself. Ichabod wasn't always thoughtful during the worst of the Katrina Infestation. I think it's incredibly sweet of him and I'm sorry Abbie wasn't in a place to realize what a gesture it was - but I got why she didn't and his getting rebuffed a little isn't going to kill him. He just needs to persevere; his love will breakdown her defenses eventually. I hope.

I loved Joe and Jenny on that couch and I don't care who knows it.

• Love 4

Is it possible that Abbie isn't telling Crane what's going on because she's being kept from doing so by whatever is holding her in thrall?  I'm just throwing that out there as a theory.  The worship pose at the end implies to me that Abbie herself is not entirely in control here.

That's certainly my thought on the matter, she didn't seem to have complete control over what was happening, I'm not even sure whether she has total awareness of what she does in that shed when she's away from it.

But uh - no way Nevins would have gotten the drop on Jenny.  No way.  I get it that they needed Baby Corbin and Nevins to have a little chat, but so wasn't buying that, lol.

I was buying her near-swoon when released even less. The staging of that scene was really off.

• Love 3

Well, I am happy they're taking Abbie's storyline to a darker place. I hope it takes longer than a couple of episodes to resolve. I wish the experience is not completely lost and Abbie's character ends up irrevocably changed. Far too often, characters go back to the status quo, no matter how hard their experiences and traumas are on them. My preference would be for her to turn evil, at least for a while, and raise the stakes, because the villain decay continues into a free fall of boredom.

I can't abide Abbie's father. I'm sorry, but Mama Mills > Ezra (?) a thousand times, craziness and all. That this guy lived so well and happy, without a care in the world, while his daughters suffered so much... I hope I don't have to see much of him. Bastard.

Ichy, next time, ask if she's hungry, okay? :) Also, stop hurting my ears with your singing.

Store brand Ichabbie continue to bore me to tears. Their love story confirms my thoughts, that this show should stay away from romance (although I'm still hoping for an Abbie/Daniel kiss).

• Love 1

Nevins!  And.... he's already gone again.  Randal, too.  Seems to be the episode to dispatch a bunch of the secondary villains.  But I guess they still have their plate full with Hidden One, Pandora, and this shady character played by Michael O'Keefe.  This is a guy who can tell Daniel what and whatnot to do, so that's troubling.  As long as neither Katrina or Henry get resurrected, I'm fine with them sticking with these guys for now.

Abbie clearly seems to be losing her mind, now.  Even past on a home-cooked meal made by Ichabod himself!  It looked nice, too.  Annoyed that they are going down the keeping secrets route, but I'm going to wait and see if that is Abbie herself, or a part of her is being controlled and preventing her from telling anyone.  The closet she got to was with her father, but even then she had to use her mom as an excuse to get info.

Speaking of which, Mr. Mills is back and meets up with Jenny and Abbie.  Not sure what to think.  I guess he seems sincere that he blames himself for what he did and wants to be back in their lives, but I don't know, that was still a dick move, that I can't see easily being walked back.  Even if dealing with the wife becoming sick and insane was hard, he still didn't need to just flat-out cut Abbie and Jenny out of his life.  They didn't do anything, dude.  Then again, he more or less admitted that himself, so yay for self-awareness, I guess?

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe Nevins got the drop on Jenny.  She really is slipping lately, and I'm starting to wonder if her relationship with Joe has anything to do with that.

Foster still seems to be just there and doesn't get much to do outside of a few amusing lines.

I have to admit that I was actually kind of hoping the Nevins/August flashbacks would just be Bill Irwin and Clancy Brown, because both are awesome, and I wouldn't really give a damn if the characters were obviously suppose to be in their 20s back then.

Pandora and The Hidden One are regulated to one scene, where once again, HO is a dick and Pandora needs to smack him down hard.  Lets shake things up a bit on this plot, show.

• Love 2

Oh dear.  Ichabod you lovesick little puppy.  It's the cutest thing ever. 

Not sure I'm digging the idea of Abbie being controlled by a supernatural force. :(. But I'll wait to see where it goes before I get upset.

• Love 1

It was kind of a mess because the plot in this episode could be used to fuel three different episodes across the season. They could've had the Papa Mills plot + the Nevins's scarab plot and be done with. But they had to push another ten unrelated plots into this, like the Corbin being actually a great guy (what a surprise); the shady government conspiracy; Abbie's hiding now obviously supernatural things that keep happening to her from her loved ones; Nevins's relationship with Corbin; Joe's relationships with his dad; Danny and Abbie being awkward around each other; Randall playing for power grab; Sophie being a minor badass, etc.

It got exhausting after a while.

First thing first, the Mills sisters scenes with their dad was amazing. I liked that Jenny talked to Abbie and noted she was different, and still urged her to give their asshole of a dad a chance. And Abbie was great. Nice writing there.

Did Corbin and Nevins were an item? Granted, it didn't translate to screen at all because Nevins, apparently, was even worse than we previously thought and was lying to Corbin all his life. And Corbin loved him and Nevins was his and Joe;s family? Or Nevins loved him because... reasons? What? The writers leaned way heavily on that with Joe's monologue, and it kind of came out of nowhere.

Speaking of Nevins, the MOW was really scary at times, especially the arm through the chest thing. Poor Randall. Also, poor Nevins, that bit of body horror was creepy as hell.

I liked Joe/Jenny for the first time this episode. They seemed like they had natural cute chemistry and a strong bond.

To the matter of Abbie Mills being possessed by something. I'm not sure why she thinks she'll get mentally ill like her mom, seeing as her mom was taunted by Moloch and driven to madness by supernatural forces. Isn't it a forgone conclusion that could be happening to Abbie as well? Ichabod is understanding (and also 100% in love with her), Abbie knows he's understanding, she tries to share some stuff. But she never said anything about "hallucinations", and her sudden desire to worship false gods or whatever couldn't be explained by anything right now, since she knows she sees stuff

I wasn't as annoyed as I thought I'd be about Abbie not telling Crane; I think, because she really seems to be not herself and possibly can't. She's been honest with Crane about how she's struggling and she seems enthralled or something when it comes to that symbol.

• Love 5

Bleh. More like... unbelievable. But whatever, writers. Would it be too much to ask for writers to think a little harder about the practicalities of their monster creations? I mean, yeah... monsters aren't real... but in your created world, they are! So you don't get to just do whatever works for your heroes.

Agreed. I also thought it was ridiculous that Abbie didn't shoot the monster right away. Was it because they were in the Archives and someone might hear? Another thing that bugged was that she and Crane were able to stand there for what seemed like forever with the monster, posturing, before a physical altercation began when this thing was notorious for ripping people apart in an instant. Plus it was supposedly more powerful when confronting Abbie and Crane because Nevins had attached the scarab to it's chest. However, as been noted the monster's efficiency appeared to decrease rather than increase with the extra power.

This totally broke my heart - Crane just did this amazing romantic, special thing for his "Leftenent" and she totally was like "Nah, I'll go to the gun range.." Sorry, but he just tried to do a beautiful sweet amazing thing for her...the ungratenessfulness bothers me....

This isn't the first time that Crane has done this though. When Abbie saw what he'd done, she stated that he had to quit spoiling her and that she didn't need to be pampered. So I think he's been doing this every night when she comes home from work and she's been grateful and taking part in the meal with him etc. But this particular night she turned him down and went to the gun range instead. I think this was the first night she blew him off and shut it down. Hence the reason why the next time she (and he) returned home from a hard day's work, he went with the bologna sandwich instead of going all out with the pasta and wine.

So - I think Abbie is moving between worlds a bit. Sometimes she's "our" Abbie and she's afraid she's losing it mentally, so she clams up and struggles to make straight shots. Other times she's sitting in a garage worshipping that weird symbol. What's funny is that I actually fear that symbol more than I fear the HO.

The show has actually managed to create a scary Moloch like figure in that symbol because we don't know WHAT this means. Really creepy stuff.

Gosh please let this show get another season. This episode was one of my favorites. Wow.

This. The mystery surrounding the symbol and the way Abbie is responding to it is the creepiest thing on the show since Moloch. IMO. I rewatched Abbie's vision and when she has the one while trying to focus enough to shoot the scarab on the monster's chest, there was a flash of the symbol, her being underwater and what appeared to be her eye, but it wasn't her eye. It looked inhuman, supernatural even. Then there was a flash of her emerging from the water. I think she is possessed by some entity that was living in the Catacombs.

I really don't want to see Abbie possessed, but I'll see where they go with it. My biggest concern with this, is that they won't have the tie to flesh out this story or Crane/Abbie's relationship because the show will get cancelled, leaving everything up in the air.

I am sure Abbie's dad is a nice person and all but he bailed. And his two kids were in left in foster care and, at least in Jenny's case, we know she lived with some some pretty shitty "care"givers. Dude you abandoned your wife and kids. Abbie's response of 'I have people' when he offered to help felt right.

Papa Mills is an ass, but I don't think he was introduced for nothing. He may come into play when it comes to saving Abbie from whatever is going on with her right now. I think Pandora might too. Lord knows any loyalty she has to her husband may be quickly diminishing due to his ungratefully sh*tty attitude towards her. That said, I did have to laugh at the sight of a king size bed in their lair. Now where did that come from? Did HO wave his hand and the thing teleported across time to their new home in the caves? Or did they go shopping at the nearest Rooms To Go?

Edited by Enero
  • Love 4

I thought it was alright.  I like the effort the show is doing to establish a real supporting cast (instead of basing every episode on literally six people like they did every episode last season) but I thought a little too much time was spent on the supporting cast at the expense of Crane and Abbie.

-I'm okay on Abbie keeping secrets from Crane because she's clearing not in her right mind.  The righting symbols thing reminded me of Agents of Shield last season.

-Intrigued by the evil FBI guy.  I wonder if this is something they are setting up for next season, if there is one.  I like they getting an external threat like this outside of Sleepy Hollow.

-Nevins as the main villain was a breath of fresh air as the show tends to focus every act of villainy on one character.  Was surprised he was killed off but was actually disappointed that Randle was killed off as I found him entertaining this season.

-Not buying Nevins getting the jump like that on Jenny.

-Yes, the Mills dad is still an ass.

-Ichabod with a Charlie Brown reference!

In a really weird coincidence, I haven't watched American Idol for years but right before I watched Sleepy Hollow, I saw the video of Kelly Clarkson returning to sing a song that she wrote about how hurt she was by her dad leaving her family when she was six years old and how her new husband restored her faith that some guys do stay and can love their daughters. It was fresh in my mind while I was watching the scenes of the Mills girls with their dad.

In another parallel, I liked that at the beginning of the episode, Pandora's petty bitchy boyfriend said, "You want to be my equal. Then as I suffer, so shall you," and at the end of the episode, Crane told Abbie, "Just as you were by my side when I returned to Sleepy Hollow, so I shall be by yours." Obviously we didn't need this quote to know that Crane is the opposite of the Hidden One, but it was still nice to hear.

The important message: Pandora, leave that jerk of a boyfriend! Abbie, eat that delicious food Crane is making for you!

• Love 6

I wasn't as annoyed as I thought I'd be about Abbie not telling Crane; I think, because she really seems to be not herself and possibly can't. She's been honest with Crane about how she's struggling and she seems enthralled or something when it comes to that symbol.

Also, if she did tell him , they have to be so cautious of turning her into a Damsel in Distress and looking for the male protector to solve her problems.

I'm okay with it for now too.

• Love 2

It was nice of him to make dinner but if I plan to go all out - I make sure the person doesn't have plans already.  He assumed she was free - I don't get a romantic vibe between them though I am guessing I am supposed to be -  

I liked the scene where the guy was scarfing down the food and she just went over, took the plate away and dumped the food in the trash - I liked the expressions on their faces - 

I am also someone who wishes people would say something about what's going on with them - but, then, we would probably lose about 90% of drama in films/tv - so, we are stuck with it; some do it better than others.  

I watch this with half an eye a lot of time because I find some of it too silly for me - I like silly but I like it when it really engages me, this is, for some reason, not doing it.  

• Love 1

That's certainly my thought on the matter, she didn't seem to have complete control over what was happening, I'm not even sure whether she has total awareness of what she does in that shed when she's away from it.

I was buying her near-swoon when released even less. The staging of that scene was really off.

I totally agree; I love Jenny, but would have bought it better if Nevins had knocked her out with the gun. I mean if he has supernatural weapons at his disposal, "kiss of death" mist or something would have made more sense. Jenny's a beast; Nevin is a former soldier, but come on.

Edited by Dizzychickstar

So exciting! Randall!! Man, that is a hard way to go, your last image being a demon arm protruding through your chest. Where did all that money come from? And more importantly, who gets it now?

Fed Fred!! Whachu doin, man? I ain't mad you killed Bill Irwin but what is your objective? I'm kinda hoping it's not sinister, that maybe he's part of the new Mason's group or something and they needed that info for what's coming. He did kill a bad guy, I hope he just used him and then put him down like the dog he is, not that he's a bigger bad guy.

Pandy, Pandy, Pandy. Gurl, punch his ass in the throat, stab him in the eye, and GET YO LIFE!

I agree that this was not the first candlelight dinner. She said he had been spoiling her. SPOILING HER, Y'ALL! I wonder if this symbol has anything to do with their lineage as Witnesses, as Destroyers. Ghost Crane told her in the cave that the writings were similar to the book about them he discovered. Abbie's supplication before the symbol was CREE.PEE. Crane, Bae needs you man! *sob*!!

• Love 7

I always knew FBI Boss/Katy Perry Guy was shady.

First clue something’s wrong with Abbie? When a woman turns down a dinner like that, obviously she’s not in full possession of her faculties.

For a quick second, I thought Mr T. had arrived in Sleepy Hollow.

According to Joe Webb, the show wanted more Bill Irwin, but he’s starring in a Broadway play, which is probably why FBI Boss shot Nevins dead gangster style.

Abbie/Daniel thrills me as much as Crane/Zoe.

I’ll miss you Randall, you stupid fool.

THO is so cocky, he doesn’t realize, in due course of time, Pandora is going to go straight Farrah Fawcett “Burning Bed” on his fine ass.

Because of Sleepy Hollow, MissAlmond will be having Italian food this weekend.

I love Season 3.

I hate javascript.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8

Well, I am happy they're taking Abbie's storyline to a darker place. I hope it takes longer than a couple of episodes to resolve. I wish the experience is not completely lost and Abbie's character ends up irrevocably changed. Far too often, characters go back to the status quo, no matter how hard their experiences and traumas are on them. My preference would be for her to turn evil, at least for a while, and raise the stakes, because the villain decay continues into a free fall of boredom.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm wondering about this^. I can see how it would be attractive, the dark side, for Abbie right now. In the sense that it might offer her the ability to close off the chance that the people and forces in her life could hurt her. Maybe that symbol allows her to tap into the Destroyers of the past-and that Abbie incarnation may have been more Orion's brand of dispensing justice which will put her at odds with the team. It might be interesting & tragi-angst to see her face off with Ichabod in a parallel to the face off with K with a different outcome obviously.

• Love 1

Ha, I was wondering about Mr. T too!

When Randall showed up in this episode, I thought you know, as much as I enjoy him, how often are they going to bring him around? Less than a minute later I thought well, that answers THAT question! I almost felt like I had jinxed him.

I already deleted the episode so I can't go back and check, but didn't the drawing of the scarab pattern look the same as the one on the window in the FBI conference room (the one painted on the glass, not the one that Abbie imagined)?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

It read less as a swoon, and more as drugged up.  The way her eyes were closed when he was holding her, and then to just collapse when he let her go?!  Weird.

• Love 2

I don't think there's anything or anyone behind Abbie's silence; it's her own choice (and mistake). I mean, she isn't probably aware of some of the things she's doing (like praying to that symbol), but she knows enough to realize that something's going on. Something that is probably supernatural-related, like everything else in the show, so she should tell the others. It doesn't seem to be too late.

Ichabod's totally in love with her and I think he knows it. But he also knows that it isn't the right time yet, that Abbie needs to get better first. Also, I have the feeling that romance is understandably the last thing in her mind right now and she has convinced herself that there's nothing but deep friendship between her and Ichabod. In that sense, she's one step behind.

I don't care about Daddy Mills, but he could be useful in the future so it's okay.

Loved Joe and Jenny. And I'm curious about the shady FBI guy and what it means to Abbie...

• Love 3

Yeah I am of the opinion that Abbie isn't quite aware of everything she is doing.  I think that last week she shrugged it off as just a small irritant to readjusting.  That makes sense, why bug people when all you're doing is readjusting? I am wondering if seeing the symbol kicks off her -- fugue state?  or whatever it is? 

But she's beginning to spiral.  What I didn't expect... and thank you show for this... was that she would tie it back to her mother's mental illness.  I can almost see Abbie being a little afraid and a little ashamed that she might has some hereditary mental illness.  So it plays into the stigma of this, not confiding just yet.  She is also an FBI agent and admitting to something like that could get her fired.  But I actually believe that she will eventually confide in Ichabod.  Either that or he'll catch her in mid prayer and he'll be the one to let her know something isn't right.

• Love 8

I guess I assumed Nevins had Jennie in a sleeper hold (gradually cutting off the blood supply to her brain).

Abbie, from the outside, is showing classic signs of depression. She refuses food; she doesn't stay in the room with other people if she can help it; she is distracted and can't concentrate; she doesn't sleep; she's a bit cranky; and she insists she's fine when she knows she's not.

Crane's impression of Charlie Brown ("Goooood grief!") was classic. I always wonder just how much TV he has watched since he's been in the present. My sense is: A LOT.

• Love 3

Loved Atticus Nevins. Dude was really an ass and self-serving but the actor nailed it big time, Too bad he met his demise as he did. Oh, hello shady government politician man - Mulder and Scully say hi!!! :')

Sorry to see Randall meet this end that way - too bad, I liked him.

So Daniel's flowery words of love were more about keeping Abbie around and following Evil Politician's plans? Interesting.

Pandora - kick your useless (but hot) husband to the curb. He's not worth it. If all he can do is whine about his loss of powers and be completely selfish and self-serving, then he doesn't deserve you. #PandoraDeservesBetter. In fact, go have a talk with Ichabod Crane. He can give you advice and share his experiences with selfish spouses who lie in bed all day, crying and whining about their lost powers.

Abbie darling? When your sweetheart of a roommate cooks you dinner from scratch, complete with candlelight, flowers and wine, the polite thing to do is graciously say thanks, sit down and enjoy his culinary efforts. It's not to turn him down immediately and go to the gun range. I get that you are suffering, but politeness and manners do count, even in this modern era.

Whoa - Abbie's declaring allegiance to some symbol, and scribbling it obsessively in her "journal". Hopefully Crane reads it and figures it out. I wonder who/what the symbol means - Hidden One? Pandora? Something else?

• Love 7

The symbol Abbie was worshiping reminded my of Bill Cipher from Gravity Falls, who is scarier than most all of the monsters to ever feature on this show, and that made me feel very nervous. Oh Abbie! You aint well.  

Cranes dinner looked amazing, I was heartbroken when Abbie blew him off. That had to have been the first clue that something was not right with Abbie, no one would turn that deliciousness down! 

The monster was creepy, and so was the stuff with the freaking gross scarab living inside Nevins. Not as creepy as the creepy symbol though.

Thank God there were no flashbacks this week. Those things are getting to Arrow level of tediousness. Its not quite there yet, but its getting close.   

• Love 2

I know we've talked about Abbie keeping what's happening all to herself, but has she really? She is trying to cope-running, journaling(though that may be only a by product of compulsion, and has admitted to having problems adjusting. We are understandably worried about who/what she's been in contact with, but she's clearly been communicating, praying to someone or something-her words, "I'm Yours," sound as though she's surrendered herself completely. I think the more aware or old Abbé isn't comfortable with the changes/trauma she's experiencing(and like others have mentioned, this taps into sanity fears) but that other part of her has been confiding & expressing herself to a degree to some entity. This Abbie isn't operating by the same rules or codes of conduct as before. I think another question we could ask is how much of our Abbie is still there? Is this a shell of her, kind of like when Crane brought back some demon? Is she possessed? Has she tapped into one of her other lives or personas? I'm afraid. *bites nails

• Love 3

Loved Atticus Nevins. Dude was really an ass and self-serving but the actor nailed it big time, Too bad he met his demise as he did. 

He was so close to getting away scott free!  

Bill Irwin has been impressive in everything I've seen him in, but he'll always be Mr. Noodle to me. ( a part of me is always a little bit sad when he plays a bad guy strictly because of Sesame Street) 

• Love 4

It read less as a swoon, and more as drugged up.  The way her eyes were closed when he was holding her, and then to just collapse when he let her go?!  Weird.

I guess I assumed Nevins had Jennie in a sleeper hold (gradually cutting off the blood supply to her brain).

Both are possible and certainly more probable than what we saw and a blow to the head might be another explanation, unfortunately we have to guess and fanwank to make the scene credible with Nevins holding Jenny hostage (surprise!) and then her frailty afterwards. I feel like there was a missing scene or a line cut. All of which leads me to ....

It was kind of a mess because the plot in this episode could be used to fuel three different episodes across the season. They could've had the Papa Mills plot + the Nevins's scarab plot and be done with. But they had to push another ten unrelated plots into this, like the Corbin being actually a great guy (what a surprise); the shady government conspiracy; Abbie's hiding now obviously supernatural things that keep happening to her from her loved ones; Nevins's relationship with Corbin; Joe's relationships with his dad; Danny and Abbie being awkward around each other; Randall playing for power grab; Sophie being a minor badass, etc.

It got exhausting after a while.

I have a huge appreciation for the fact they are being more ambitious in their plotting this season.  However, it seems like they are trying to recreate the magic that made season one such madcap genius by throwing a lot at the screen at once and seeing what sticks instead of doing what season one actually did, which was throwing a lot at the screen and taking the time to make it work.  The consequence is they are showing WTF moments like tottering hostage Jenny and not considering that her distress didn't ring true because they didn't include some small moment showing why she was in that condition (or perhaps the moment was so small that no-one noticed). I think they do have good ideas for their episode plots and larger arcs but they need to stop trying so hard to be crazy and work on keeping the events in their universe credible. I want well-paced, not just fast-paced.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 5

He was so close to getting away scott free!  

Bill Irwin has been impressive in everything I've seen him in, but he'll always be Mr. Noodle to me. ( a part of me is always a little bit sad when he plays a bad guy strictly because of Sesame Street)

Mr Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle ;)

I used to watch Sesame Street with the kid, and there were very few adult things we watched that had better casts.

• Love 3
The one thing that bugged me about the episode was the monster who could rip people to shreds with one swipe yet somehow became far less efficient when battling the good guys.

I can't figure out why everyone keeps shooting the MOW when they can see it does absolutely no good. Where is Crane's sword? All it would take is one sword swipe to the neck, behead the beast ala The Walking Dead and be done with it. The heck, Crane, the sword is your 17th (and 18th, and 19th) century friend! Get with it, man!

This isn't the first time that Crane has done this though. When Abbie saw what he'd done, she stated that he had to quit spoiling her and that she didn't need to be pampered. So I think he's been doing this every night when she comes home from work and she's been grateful and taking part in the meal with him etc. But this particular night she turned him down and went to the gun range instead. I think this was the first night she blew him off and shut it down.

This made me feel better about Abbie's poor manners and how she must have hurt Crane's feelings. I felt hurt feelings just watching her blow him off after all his most excellent work. "I'm leaving, keep it warm for me." Geesh. That wasn't even POLITE. Did the time in the catacombs suck all her good manners out?

Speaking of manners, Pandora is for sure married to an abuser. Time for that one to go home.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I can't figure out why everyone keeps shooting the MOW when they can see it does absolutely no good.

That reminds me of a joke that some comedian (it might have been David Brenner) used to tell about the Superman TV show, in which the bad guys would shoot repeatedly at Superman until they ran out of bullets and then they would throw the gun at his chest, like "Yeah, he's impervious to bullets, but surely this will bring him down!"

• Love 5