Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E03: Bros Being Jocks

Supay
  • Start Topic

I'm not a constant TAR viewer, but I am loving this season! Which maybe just means I need to go back and watch earlier seasons because the consensus seems to be that they were much better?

On basically all the teams there is one member I really like, except Tyler and Korey because I love them both. They're athletic enough, they manage to keep their sense of humor through the stressful situations and they're really motivated. Loved that moment they realized the frisbee jock guys are famous for throwing things at targets, ha!

On the frisbee guys team I really liked the guy who was running around trying to find the bags, but the other guy is a little loud and annoying with his constant chest bumping. I also liked that non bearded bro spoke Spanish and generally seemed respectful of the vendors, asking them to hand him bags instead of stomping all over their merchandise.

Wish there was one team of all females to like but they're both really annoying. Dana also despises her boyfriend, wow, she doesn't even try to hide it. I love the dad even if his daughter is spoiled. He's so sweet. Harvard Brothers were half asleep this whole time so that seemed like an elimination that needed to happen.

Wish there was one team of all females to like but they're both really annoying. Dana also despises her boyfriend, wow, she doesn't even try to hide it. I love the dad even if his daughter is spoiled. He's so sweet. Harvard Brothers were half asleep this whole time so that seemed like an elimination that needed to happen.

Her attitude might explain the "engagement" they have had for three years with no set wedding date.

If the men demanded their besos, as was their right IMO, Blair could have directed them to Scott to collect. She promised kisses but she did not say who the kisses would be from. :)

Oooh, a technicality...I like it!

• Love 2

Can we go back to a season of fans that know the game instead of wannabe celebs? Usually by episode 3 the playing to the camera has eased up - but this group it seems like it will be this way all the way to the end.

Fans like Justin from last season?  No thanks.  Other, non-Justin-like fans? I will gladly sign that petition.

• Love 6

PaperTree:

Others said this too.  I am not saying that at all!  I wanted to shoot myself.  I seriously wanted to kill those girls in the maroon.  And the frisbee guy that looks like Wolverine can shut up too.  

I guess after the first two episodes I got a little "ear blind" to it.  :)

• Love 1

The legs seem very short and uncomplicated, to me. Were they always like this, or are they being edited in a way that just makes it seem like that?

I think they take extreme care these days not to get teams separated too far apart which means we lose some charm from what the legs used to be. I feel the needle-in-a-haystack-challenges are lot easier these days too, probably for the same reason. I have warm memories of that one girl who toppled all  hay-poles of Swedish countryside, or that one guy who sifted all sand they have in Egypt!

• Love 1

I saw the exploding cornhole game when Bourdain when to Colombia, and yes, there is definitely drinking involved. Heh, I'm pretty sure that whoever came up with the game was drunk ("You guys! You know what would make this game even better? GUN POWDER!").

Yup, although "Here, hold my beer and watch this" doesn't usually work out so well.

I'm not a constant TAR viewer, but I am loving this season! Which maybe just means I need to go back and watch earlier seasons because the consensus seems to be that they were much better?

Check out seasons 1, 2, 3 and 5 for the "amazing" part of what The Amazing Race used to be about.  Season 5 was when the started with all the team vs team u-turn crap.  But it's Racers overcame that garbage it was so well cast.

Back then you felt like you got to know teams as they had actual conversations going on and not just sound bites shouted out.  The music enhanced the Race; didn't drown it out or try to pump up everything happening like it was all life and death ever 3 seconds.  man is that annoying. 

You saw some of the down time at pit stops when they were still allowed to "eat, sleep and mingle."  You had solid clock times on the screen.  They let the Racers out into the world more with more choices of where/how to travel to the next clue box and less on a short leash like they do now.   Sure there were some mactors that got into the Race even then but less (except season 4 which I didn't recommend of the first 5 seasons for that reason) and more real people like you and me.

Season 1 is the pioneer season with some rough edges that got better a couple of episodes in but also teams that had NO idea what they were getting into so it was fun seeing how they had to learn everything on the fly.  Season 2 is my favorite though by a slim margin.  Seasons 3 and 5 (along with 1) are all closely right behind it though.

And the teams seemed excited to be in the Race.  As opposed to the eliminated brothers this episode who just seemed totally apathetic the whole time.  Just seemed that after over 25 seasons they would have checked out some past seasons before going on the Race even if they were a recruited team that never saw the show before.  I'm guessing at the latter but when you enter an airport and stroll around and not rush to the counter it seems obvious to me you never saw a single episode before.

The tasks this season just seem more important than the racing part.  That just throws the balance so far off.  It's sinking to Survivor's endless, endless, ENDLESS puzzles (not fire) represents life in this game levels at this point.  But without the ability to get to know the teams.  At least on Survivor they still do that.  Let you get to assign some personality traits and backgrounds to members of their casts and those members certainly do interact as well.  No more of that on TAR where "eat, sleep and mingle" disappeared when they weren't allowed to do same anymore ... dumb move. 

And this season apparently everyone spends their entire life on YouTube and has no other traits, interests or real jobs.  And all but the two token parents seem to be in the exact same age range.  Maybe the one couple that came in third is a little older but in the main they are all so samey and impossible for me to tell apart in the main though the frisbee guys at least get some fresh air in real life.  No so much the others. 

(Trivia:  The grandson of the guy who invented the frisbee was in TAR1 though the grandfather apparently didn't make any money from it because he thought it was a silly idea and something to do for fun with his friends was all.  And when his friends pressed him he apparently told them basically to go ahead and try to market it if they wanted but he wasn't interested in being in on any of it).

• Love 8

The bright side about Zach & Rachel making it this far is that we might get more of his Vines. Is he excellent as an editor, or would he be considered average at best

I had no idea he did Vines, but I used to watch his Editing FX tutorials years ago & recognized the user name. He is very good at CGI fx and seems to have fun stories involved in his videos, which is very cool. I'm glad he found a way to take skills he was giving away for free and make some money.

That said, I don't understand why he's The Magician. Everything is a visual trick, and many of the videos don't seem to even play out like a magic trick. He's an excellent editor and writer and producer, but he's not a magician.

Edited by FastLou
  • Love 2

Green, I am with you 100%  The first five seasons will never be topped IMO.  Back then they were merely told to get to this place.  How they did it was up to them.  No one of three possible flights bologna.  And teams were scattered out all over the place using various options to arrive.  Team Guido from season one will always be my favorite ever for the let's take a rest in this hotel along the way action.  I loved this show back then, loved it.  I half-heartedly watch nowadays as it is so pre-scheduled and almost done by rote that I find it not a 'race' at all.  They have tinkered it to death and lost what made it special.  YMMV

• Love 7

There are cornhole tournaments here in the south, with a national following. I wish they could use the exploding things, would certainly make it more interesting. And adding alcohol would be the icing on the cake.

Because alcohol and gunpowder is such an entertaining combination!

• Love 1

I find the teams this season a bit "meh" - none are sticking out as favourites and none are really really bad (i.e Jutin bad). 

I do like that the tasks seem better than last season - they are the sort that mix up the group placings rather than the first to arrive is the first to leave type tasks that dominated previously.

I am hoping the pace will pick up when they leave Columbia next episode, and the teams will be more on their own to get to places and have more exciting tasks. Since I have only seen the first seven seasons and I am watching this season at the the same time, I am trying to catch up to how this game has evolved since the early days. 

I had no idea he did Vines, but I used to watch his Editing FX tutorials years ago & recognized the user name. He is very good at CGI fx and seems to have fun stories involved in his videos, which is very cool. I'm glad he found a way to take skills he was giving away for free and make some money.

That said, I don't understand why he's The Magician. Everything is a visual trick, and many of the videos don't seem to even play out like a magic trick. He's an excellent editor and writer and producer, but he's not a magician.

This!   He's not a magician.  They use sleight of hand and misdirection.  He does special effects.  That said, what they showed looked pretty cool and I'd like to see more, but it is not magic.

There seemed to be less screaming tonight.  Yay.

Others said this too.  I am not saying that at all!  I wanted to shoot myself.  I seriously wanted to kill those girls in the maroon.  And the frisbee guy that looks like Wolverine can shut up too. 

The maroon girl team on the bus were obnoxious.

I'm ready to shoot my television too. I had to constantly mute it every time those girls in the pink tank tops came on. The screaming on the bus was horrendous. And the other girl with her dad was just as obnoxious with her screaming. It's time for the editors to leave those screaming scenes out, for the love of my eardrums.  They can make an entirely different edit and deliver us a less scream-centric experience if they wanted.  

Watching Darius was painful. I wanted them to stick around, they're quiet also.

Haha. Sad testament that their best quality was that they made zero noise. 

I liked the way the magician and his wife handled their mistake.  He was upset and she was upset; they acknowledged it and moved past it.

That was really nice to see.  I hope this season gets better. I don't really like any of these teams. 

• Love 1
The legs seem very short and uncomplicated, to me. Were they always like this, or are they being edited in a way that just makes it seem like that?

This whole season is being reduced to a kindergarten show.  I know they do IQ testing for the teams and this bunch must be at the very bottom.  I can not believe the horrendous game play, the screaming and as much as I liked the Rubics cube boys they sucked to no end.  How could they have missed the lady sitting in a chair, who gave them the clue, with all the clue envelopes taped to the wall and other teams checking in with her?  OMG!

Having young people in my family between the ages of 19 - 34 I find they only watch youtube, Vines etc as early teens.  Even the 19 year old is in college, works and lives life in real time with real people.  Sure we pass along the cute cat videos and I have seen a few of the guy who does the great editing......but really this whole thing of living online is creepy.  My personal opinion is that most of them, I am looking at you Brody, can't function in real life and this may be their only options.  I see many of the racers have personality issues or perhaps are on the spectrum.

I can see the team who came in second and the boyfriend of the shrew (Dana?) are really the only ones who can live in real life.  This season is so disappointing.

I did love the Tejos though and may open my own Tejo club.  Such fun and with drinking?  I am all in.

Cornhole!

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1

I am still completely flummoxed that NO ONE bothered to tell Darius that the vendor was RIGHT THERE. Even if his brother wasnt allowed to help him, he couldve said, "Read the clue again carefully!" That's not considered helping. Or, one of the other team members, who were already getting their clue from the vendor, couldve told him to just go there. They were ahead anyway, they knew that some teams were not done, and it wouldnt have hurt. Look how one of the girls was helping Cole, and another girl was helping Scott... why on earth would no one help Darius? It was so frustrating. I can't believe that's how they got eliminated!!!

On the other hand, it saved Zach and Rachel, a team i'm not ready to part with yet.

The other thing that's starting to annoy me with this season (other than the overall social media gimmick that is, which annoyed me as soon as I heard about it last season) is the habit of adding new footage to the previously segment at the beginning of the show. Stop that. Especially if you're just going to show team members bickering.

Finally, I fail to believe these people are being randomly recognized on the streets for their Youtube videos. I don't think I've ever heard of any of them, though I might have seen the magician guy, or videos similar to his. I suspect it's more TAR's cameras making these people seem more famous than they really are. Then once people come around, production stages the whole photo op. Then again, maybe I'm just old, or hang around different parts of the net.

Sorry to dump so much, but this is the first time I've commented this season, and wanted to vent about a few things.

To be fair, Zach King is the ONLY person on this entire race that I ever heard of. I've been watching his vines for a while. It stands to make sense that a person in Colombia has heard of him, and especially when they saw the cameras, that may have clued them in. Also, the cast was kind of spoiled before the race even began, and I won't be surprised if that person - who was English speaking - knew that Zach was running. I'm curious if his identity will pop up online somwhere.

i'm looking forward to Rob cesternino's exit interview with Darius so that I can understand what really happened there. I'm still shocked that no one helped him.

I watch YouTube and I haven't been a teenager in a while.  I don't watch any of these people per se, but I wonder if people who don't need the extra exposure just declined.  But I really only follow Ms. Funky Dineva, and Wayne Goss (makeup), and a few on belizean cooking.  

The cool thing about youtube is you can really find just about anything.  Most of these contestants seem to have lifestyle channels, but as you have an interest in something you can normally find a video on it.  A few weeks ago I was dedicated to doing spot reduction on my midsection.  Came up with like 1000 midsection workouts to do at home.  That time I needed to unclog my toilet (don't ask) there were about 50 videos that came up.  I wanted to see how hard it would be to make belizean black dinner, I easily found out it was too hard for me!  The only one they have that does videos to help people was Blair, but she is kind of the worst, so you shouldn't think thats how all of YT is.

I think it would have been awesome to have Miss Funky Dineva Ross....but I don't think she needs the show.  And I think she might have been a little too much for the CBS viewing audience.  Tyler and Korey were their biggest "gets" and probably the Rooster Teeth team.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

I've watched every season since season 2, but I'm out this season. I appreciate that to an extent anyone who participates on a reality show is at least a bit of a fame whore, but these are people who make fame-whoring a way of life. The mugging, the screeching, the drama, it was too much. I put up with the blind date gimmick last ear, even with the horrible Hayley, but I really hope the producers give up these gimmicky seasons.

• Love 7

Those men looked awfully excited to get on the bus, and awfully subdued once there. I have to wonder what they thought they were signing up for when they saw the cameras and a pretty girl offering kisses in exchange for money. I'm so glad that didn't get uncomfortable.

• Love 1

The cool thing about youtube is you can really find just about anything.  [...]  The only one they have that does videos to help people was Blair, but she is kind of the worst, so you shouldn't think thats how all of YT is.

I totally agree.  I watch YT all the time.  There are videos to show you how to achieve virtually everything you can think of, so if you've got a toilet to unblock, it would be silly not to go see how to do it.  Unfortunately, TPTB didn't invite any of the carpenters, sculptors, painters, auto-mechanics, machinists,  etc.  They invited the influenzas!  Who, frankly, could only influence me to self-terminate, if necessary, just to escape their desperate need for attention!

The most famous of this bunch, is a guy who is supposed to be a magician.  But his magic ability appears to be the ability to inexpertly edit video together.   How hard can it be to make something disappear, if you just move it out of the way and edit the video?  Video Magic is as pathetic as Video Ventriloquism.   And I really wonder why, in the midst of episode #3, TPTB thought they needed to include a sample of his wonderful prestidigitation?

Anyway, the race seems to be grinding them down a bit, and the mugging seems to be declining.  (The exception seems to be Cole, who can't take a dump without making sure the camera has a good angle on the action.)  And I wish the shrieking would decline a bit too, because I only have the one pair of ears and they have to last me to the very end.  But the show is still watchable, and I am enjoying portions of it -- more despite of, rather than because of, the influenzas.  (Then, I love TAR so much, I even enjoyed S8FE a little bit...)

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5

^^ I didn't really notice the shrieking until last episode.  I think it will decrease substantially once the Cleever girls and Blair go, I think it won't be nearly as screechy.  Do the models shriek?  I can't remember....so much shrieking on that bus.  I would have given a beso or a peso just to keep Blair from continuously shrieking it.

I can't blame the YT'ers, but I do think its a little silly to insert their various videos into the race.  But thats a production/editing I suppose, I just kinda didn't need to see it.  Same way I won't need to see a snippet of a Blair makeup tutorial, or the models modelling stuff on YT.  You're a historian, have they inserted random footage from "life back home" in the middle of the race?

The most famous of this bunch, is a guy who is supposed to be a magician. But his magic ability appears to be the ability to inexpertly edit video together. How hard can it be to make something disappear, if you just move it out of the way and edit the video? Video Magic is as pathetic as Video Ventriloquism.

I am not a magician but it's a learned trade/craft/art which is the same thing that can be said for Zach and his FX. It is hard and he is talented, his videos and vines show skill and art. It really isn't that easy. I say this as someone who had never heard of him before the first episode bUT his talent is clear to me aND I guess a lot of other people which is why he is popular.

• Love 4

Erin and Joslyn are the ones that have to go. Too much crying and whining and flipping out. Although I did crack up when they were on the mat and Miss Cartagena said "I am Miss Cartagena" and Erin said "Of course you are." But whichever one did the Roadblock was too manic, and tried to ditch Scott then tried to backtrack on that.

The models are actually gaining my respect a little bit. They chose the right Detour option and kept their cool. And whichever one did the Roadblock had a pretty sweet attitude about helping Cole. Not that I necessarily want anyone helping Cole but her little interview segment where she said "Why not be nice if you're not in last place" was pretty nice. I could actually see myself rooting for these two if they continue to do well.

• Love 2
Then I remembered that is what some people call the game I know as "bags". Two wooden platforms set at an incline with a hole in the middle, horseshoe distance apart, toss the beanbags into the hole.

In Chicago, we usually call it baggo. But cornhole makes me laugh. And I think we need to incorporate gunpowder at our next block party when the baggo comes out.

I'm a big Barenaked Ladies fan so I'm rooting for Team Rooster teeth since they're friends with the band and have done a bunch of stuff for them over the years (even if I didn't realize they're the red vs blue people until like a week ago. oops). thankfully they seem more human than the other teams. After them it's the gay friends because they seem competent and self aware. I was semi-rooting for the brothers since this is an even whiter season than normal, but they were gonna go home soon anyway - it was painful to watch them bumble around. Hate both parent/kid teams, and the "should we get married" engaged couple is awful as always. I appreciated how FX guy and girl handled their setbacks, but not impressed they made them in the first place. How do you mix up a 1000 peso note and a 10 note. Did you think they put the number of cents on the bill woman?? 

It seems like around 5 years or so ago the term beanbag toss disappeared and became cornhole. I have no clue why, it sounds so gross to me.

I felt really awkward about the whole bus challenge (never mind blair who is gross and her daddy who let her be gross), because I doubt most of those people just have money/time lying around to spend on a random bus ride... My fiancé insists the bus riders were plants from production/got paid by them to do it.

• Love 2

Coming in late but:

Dana: "Go back into your own world and let me live my life." That's a unique response to your teammate encouraging you. Sounds like a fun person to have a relationship with huh? WTH??

I can't with Blair's whole approach to the bus task or (yet again) with Tyler's laugh or the self-admitted constant talking/screaming/cheering of Bro-die.

Annd mark me down with those who think 'cornhole' sounds dirty, but there was even a Big Brother Cornhole app last year so I figured that in some locales that must have been what it's called or else they wouldn't market a product that sounds like a derivative of butt sex.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 2

I hated the idea of YT "stars" taking over this season. I assumed it would be those assholes who play video games, and post vids of themselves playing said games. FTS. Hated this idea so badly that I'd put off even watching the DVR'd eps until yesterday. Maybe I'm mellowing in mid-age, but I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I actually do not mind this season! I find all the parent-child pairs annoying, and there is a helluva lot of screeching, but is that so unusual? I'm so very happy to see people who almost completely handle bad situations well (other than weirdly cut-to-the-quick dancer woman), and by golly - so far, no invocations of the divine for help!

"Cornhole" to me will always = asshole. When I first heard it as the reinvented name of beanbag toss, I laughed, thinking it had to be a joke. I grew up in New England, and wonder if it's a regional thing, like pop/soda/coke?

The greeter was possibly the most stunning, beautiful one ever (and I've seen every season) - hate to say I have something in common with the pageant girls, but my first thought was "holy crap, she must be Miss Colombia!"

I'm cautiously optimistic about this season - table for one over here!

Well see......I live pretty far south and I had no idea that cornhole wasn't popular everywhere. You can't throw a dead cat here without hitting a place to buy cornhole boards. And one of my neighbors makes extra bucks custom painting cornhole boards with sports teams or colleges or sunrises or whatever you want. It's actually a lot of fun and yes  drinking a few Bud Lites makes it even more fun. Viva la south!

I don't know who any of these people are. Hey AR? Kids don't watch you! Older people do. We don't care who's on the You Tube. At All.

Daughter should have been carrying her dads backpack! Respect your elders please. He's your Dad not your sherpa.

I'm still irrated with the girl telling her boyfriend "Your so stupid" First time anybody says that to me i'm leaving there ass in whatever 

country we're in and going home. RESPECT please.

Can you tell I know not ONE name of any of these people? 

• Love 2

The greeter was possibly the most stunning, beautiful one ever (and I've seen every season) - hate to say I have something in common with the pageant girls, but my first thought was "holy crap, she must be Miss Colombia!"

She was gorgeous and I say this as a straight woman.  She was behind Phil and I didn't even notice Phil.  Whoa.

• Love 3

there is a helluva lot of screeching, but is that so unusual?

No. I really don't understand that sort of criticism either. Of course the teams are yelling - they are racing around trying to perform these tasks as quickly as possible. They have to communicate with one another and those around them while they are racing. It's only natural they're all dialed up to 10. What would we have them do, shuffle about like zombies on Prozac? They're trying to win a million bucks here. Naturally there are always going to be racers whose voices are more annoying than others (Blair) but high energy means getting the job done. Wandering around quietly gets you Philiminated. 

• Love 4

So stupid grrrr. Darius c'mon you didn't see the yellow cards leaning on the wall beside the woman??

To be fair, the clues leaning on the wall were there when they first reached that woman, and they were given one.  It told them to get three handbags...  It would be easy to assume that the clues were duplicates of the one they'd already received.  

But why he didn't talk to her after he got all the bags? ugh

Oh, I admit, his performance was poor, no question.  But the clues standing against the wall were not an obvious sign that he should go to her.  I think the contents of those clues (one of which he already had) should have been sufficient for him to know what to do.  I don't remember any of the others being particularly confused.

it's kinda funny because the cornhole discussion is going on in the teen mom thread too lol

i'm in iowa and we call it cornhole.  I also though that's just what the name of it was, never realized it meant something dirty. lol

It's very popular here, especially for tailgating.  We also have quite a few people that pop up that make custom ones. And I just saw mini ones (table top style) at a craft show I went to this weekend.

In terms of the detour (or road block? the one where there is two choices) they don't necessarily know what they will be doing before they choose one, right?? I feel like maybe they get a small description or have to base their choice on the title of it.  Because they don't read the description of the task until after they've chosen. 

Because I think if they knew the one task was essentially playing 'cornhole' then they all would have chosen that. 

I know the brother can't help him but if the woman gave the clue should she be the first person everyone will talk to after they got all the bags kinda common sense if she is not the one then go find the right one
anyway common sense is rare nowadays
too bad for the brothers zach/rachel are so lucky

this race is tyler/corey vs team frisbee, the others can go home :D

I'm pretty sure Jocelyn did say something like "right here" to Erin when Erin returned with the bags.  In fact I predicted a penalty when they got to the mat, but they didn't get one.  Maybe Erin was already going to the right place, and Jocelyn just confirmed it so it wasn't considered help.

One other thing bothering me.....it seemed the camera focused in on a racer's fanny pack (that belonging to Burnie & Ashley perhaps) in the Tejo arena, as if it were being left there.  But then nothing occurred with that loss.  Did anyone else notice that?

• Love 1

One other thing bothering me.....it seemed the camera focused in on a racer's fanny pack (that belonging to Burnie & Ashley perhaps) in the Tejo arena, as if it were being left there.  But then nothing occurred with that loss.  Did anyone else notice that?

I did.  I thought it was a Fanny-Pack Closeup of Foreboding, but nothing came of it.  Maybe it had a logo on it, and the closeup was to help with Influencer Branding?

• Love 3

I thought the same, but forgot to mention it in my post. I can't go back to verify the sequence, but here's my theory: The cameraman noticed it as well, but not until the end of task. Since the team was about finished, he did the "Closeup of Foreboding" as a last minute thing in case they did forget it. Fortunately, they remembered to grab their fanny pack on the way out. Since the footage was filmed with something else important the racers were saying or doing, they couldn't ditch the footage. Of course, my theory may be completely wrong due to the nature of reshoots, staged footage, editing, or the lack of anything important being said or done during the closeup. However, it does fit.

I am still completely flummoxed that NO ONE bothered to tell Darius that the vendor was RIGHT THERE. Even if his brother wasnt allowed to help him, he couldve said, "Read the clue again carefully!" That's not considered helping. Or, one of the other team members, who were already getting their clue from the vendor, couldve told him to just go there. They were ahead anyway, they knew that some teams were not done, and it wouldnt have hurt. Look how one of the girls was helping Cole, and another girl was helping Scott... why on earth would no one help Darius? It was so frustrating. I can't believe that's how they got eliminated!!!

i'm looking forward to Rob cesternino's exit interview with Darius so that I can understand what really happened there. I'm still shocked that no one helped him.

Why is it other contestants' responsibility to help him?  God helps those that help themselves.  I certainly didn't see him asking any other contestants where he was supposed to go.  While it's true that the one girl helped the dad to some extent, and the girl on the other model team helped Cole to some extent, perhaps nobody helped Darius because he didn't ask for help.  Maybe they weren't particularly friendly with other teams and were aloof and unapproachable.  Or maybe they had this "we're doing our own thing" mentality.  I think it speaks volumes that they were the third team to arrive at the airport in Mexico City and yet they appear to have aimlessly wandered around picking their butts, while every other team arrived at the airport and booked flights.  Did they not notice other teams standing at the ticket counters?  I'd say it was a serious lack of observation.  

All I saw was him stupidly wandering around asking every local where he could find "Anita" (or whatever his designer's name was).  This was simply utter stupidity on his part.  He seems to have misread the clue.  Based on what he was muttering, I thought the clue said something like "after you have found two additional bags, return to the designer and receive your next clue".  He seems to have thought that he was meant to wander the streets looking for his designer.  The fact that he didn't think to go back to the lady that handed him the task is completely his own error.  I don't think it's fair to blame other contestants for not helping him.

Based on what happened at the airport, I'd say these two had a problem with spinning their wheels and getting stuck in a rut.  We have seen over and over again in past races when one team member doing the Roadblock has problems, sometimes they come back to their sitting teammate and tell them they are having problems.  At that point, yes, the other brother could have said, read the clue again.  Why he just sat there mute while watching his brother run back and forth is puzzling.

Not really sure what Rob Cesternino can add.... it seems to me the answer of "what really happened" is that he was just stupid.

• Love 1

^^I don't think its anyone's responsibility to help anyone else during the race, but I don't think I would automatically assume that it meant they were giving off a particular vibe.  I also think that teams that have recently completed the task have often just said "oh, its over there," or "its just down the way," so I don't think its crazy to ask why no one said anything to the brothers.  I think those were the last four teams and someone was going to be last to the mat.  The brothers were the team that were in the best position out of everyone that was doing the task at that point, IIRC.  Scott/Blair, Clevver Media Girls probably thought that they could help each other so that they could get to the mat before Zach/Rachel (who I don't think had help from anyone).  I don't think that they imagined that they would be beating out the brothers, nor did the brothers likely envision that they would possibly be last in that scenario so they may not have been looking to team up.  I do wish that the brothers had waited for someone else to come along if they didn't know what they were doing or where they were going.  I don't think they have been standoffish, in the first leg they were with the models and they seemed like they were sort of helping each other along.

We don't really know what the clue said, so I think it would have been interesting to understand what it said to know why everyone else easily understood it and they didn't.  And even the most competent and best prepared players make stupid mistakes, last year Justin (who I hated, but was a good racer) and Diana completely missed a cell phone location that was right next to them and drove quite a ways away before realizing their error.  People abandon things they need at a location (Team Chac last year), people misread clues (often), people do half a task before they realize something else needs to be done (last year with the beer delivery task).  I think its easy to Monday morning quarterback these things.....and I don't even blame anyone for doing so, because I was the first person to talk poorly about Justin whenever he messed up.  But, I think the brothers made an error, but had done relatively well before that.  They had gone from a last place showing to moving up about 4 spaces before the mishap with the bag vendor/designer.

All that may be true, but the post I was responding to said that she was flummoxed/flabbergasted/frustrated that none of the other teams bother to help Darius.  Making it sound like she is blaming the other teams for not helping him, and that resulted in their elimination.  As if it was their duty to help him.  This is a competition, and I don't think anybody owes anything to anyone else.  Their elimination was 100% their own fault, and to say that if only others would have helped him that they wouldn't have been eliminated isn't necessarily an accurate picture of what happened.

His brother definitely should have been talking to him or encouraging him.  I do agree that it is puzzling why he was so mute.  A simple "stop and think and start over and read the clue from the beginning" may have helped him collect his thoughts.  That certainly wouldn't have counted as "helping".  

• Love 2

The brothers did well the first leg by moving up from last place to fourth place, but the next two legs showed they just weren't cut out for the race. I mean, they were the fourth team to arrive at the airport and the last to leave. If they had watched TAR in the past, they would have known they needed to get a flight to the next leg. Airport skills can make or break you as a team, unless you are spoon fed an arranged flight. They must have misread the next route info that told them to stop at the juice bar, because they completely drove by it and went to the beach. The ONLY reason they weren't eliminated on the second leg is because Marty and Hagan made an even stupider mistake by abandoning their cab. And this leg they showed zero improvement, with more inability to read clues. This wasn't some simple mistake on their part, but them lacking the fundamental skills to succeed at this game. 

The brothers did well the first leg by moving up from last place to fourth place, but the next two legs showed they just weren't cut out for the race. I mean, they were the fourth team to arrive at the airport and the last to leave. If they had watched TAR in the past, they would have known they needed to get a flight to the next leg. Airport skills can make or break you as a team, unless you are spoon fed an arranged flight. They must have misread the next route info that told them to stop at the juice bar, because they completely drove by it and went to the beach. The ONLY reason they weren't eliminated on the second leg is because Marty and Hagan made an even stupider mistake by abandoning their cab. And this leg they showed zero improvement, with more inability to read clues. This wasn't some simple mistake on their part, but them lacking the fundamental skills to succeed at this game. 

Can absolutely agree the brothers seemed far too laid back to make it very far in the race.  I would be interested to know how all the teams came to be on the race.  I think with Tyler/Korey, they didn't really need the additional exposure, but they are big fans of the race.  And because of that, they naturally know how to do things and they know that they were a good fit.  I wonder if the brothers ever really watched AR, but needed the opportunity to try to expand their channel.  The argument can definitely be made that if they were going to be on a show like AR they should have studied up and figured things out, but I think that you have to be just naturally driven, even if you study up a lot.  I think I would want to get as far as I could, but that would mostly be because I would want to see the next location and do the next task because it all looks like fun (a million bucks wouldn't hurt either!).

But, even in this leg, they were in like 6th or 7th place, up from last place.  If they hadn't had that mishap they would have been in front of three other teams (Clevver Girls, Zach/Rachel, Scott/Blair).  I think overall they did a pretty okay job to be able to jump in front of 3 other teams, even with their decidedly laid back attitude.  But would agree all day that they didn't have the fire in the belly that is required to really excel in the race.  

Edited by RCharter

The most famous of this bunch, is a guy who is supposed to be a magician.  But his magic ability appears to be the ability to inexpertly edit video together.   How hard can it be to make something disappear, if you just move it out of the way and edit the video?  Video Magic is as pathetic as Video Ventriloquism.   And I really wonder why, in the midst of episode #3, TPTB thought they needed to include a sample of his wonderful prestidigitation?

Try it yourself before you badmouth a person's talent and skill. Why would you label anything creative "pathetic"? Even if you personally don't care for the stuff he makes, that kind of video editing requires a great deal of talent and creativity. If it was so easy anybody could do it, he would not have been able to launch a successful career out of it. He's also not the most famous of this bunch fyi. Lingo has a good break down of it all in another thread, and Tyler is heaps more successful than all the rest of them.

Finally got time to watch this episode. My main takeaway is that the brothers are some of the least adept racers we've seen, however nice and cool they seem.

I'm liking Tyler and Korey, Burnie and Ashley, the Spanish speaking Frisbee bro (but not the super loud one) and a few more.

There's a pretty clear division this season between good teams who have a chance of winning (the Dancers, Tyler and Korey, the gamers and the Frisbee duo) and everyone else, imo.

(edited)

I don't know who any of these people are. Hey AR? Kids don't watch you! Older people do. We don't care who's on the You Tube. At All.

I think that is the point. I assume that the Race skews towards an older audience. So they put a bunch of youtube people on and hope that their young followers watching the show makes it more attractive to advertisers.

Edited by Kel Varnsen